8.3

1. Nov 22, 2012
    Untouchable acting imo that makes the movie worth watching for that point alone. I think the story is great and really touching as well. Some people simply do not get it I guess. A must see imo.
  2. Sep 19, 2013
    With Firth's believable stutter and great acting, The King's Speech remains one of the best movies in recent years. Just the execution of such a simple idea at the core is amazing, and Director Tom Hooper is to be credited to the fullest for such a noteworthy film.
  3. Aug 25, 2014
    No matter what you are handed in life, nobody says that it will be easy. The King's Speech certainly personifies that notion. In one of the finest historical portrayals of a past Royal Family, the film is absorbing and profound. Colin Firth gives a performance for the ages!
  4. Jan 2, 2011
    Prince Albert of York (Colin Firth) had a debilitating stammer that became particularly problematic when he ascended to the throne as King George VI. His loving wife (Helena Bonham Carter) found an upstart speech therapist (Geoffrey Rush) to help him address his fears. Even through the struggles, the story is told with an upbeat slant and plenty of humor. The cast is uniformly strong. ThePrince Albert of York (Colin Firth) had a debilitating stammer that became particularly problematic when he ascended to the throne as King George VI. His loving wife (Helena Bonham Carter) found an upstart speech therapist (Geoffrey Rush) to help him address his fears. Even through the struggles, the story is told with an upbeat slant and plenty of humor. The cast is uniformly strong. The only complaint might be that itâ Expand
  5. Mar 24, 2012
    The King's Speech has its moments like the powerful ending but the movie is in low gear until the last 15 mintues. yawning is something you won't escape from in this film and that is were the movie goes wrong.
  6. Nov 28, 2012
    Pristinely written and acted, "The King's Speech" is an uplifting, culturally significant drama with a wholesome message grounded in its center.
  7. Sep 18, 2011
    The movie is rich and profound with top notch cinematography, with powerful acting by Collin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. The best picture winner was certainly chosen. However, I was disappointed to see the Brit king having no real plot twists or obstacles that could have transformed the movie into a engaging one.
  8. Mar 26, 2012
    No matter how masterful the acting was, this movie just didn't wow me. The movie took time and care to make sure every aspect of the film was excellent, however, the script, just put me to sleep. The ending was riveting the first time I saw it, but hardly moved me at all the second time around. I don't dislike this film, but giving it best picture was such a discernment. BOOOOO.
  9. Apr 10, 2014
    Quite a good film indeed. Colin Firth kicks ass and takes names as King George VI and it is truly no wonder that he won Best Actor. Throughout the film, I could not help but marvel at Firth's amazing performance and he really caries this one on his shoulders. Beyond him, the film is a very nice period drama with pitch perfect art and costume direction that really define the era that isQuite a good film indeed. Colin Firth kicks ass and takes names as King George VI and it is truly no wonder that he won Best Actor. Throughout the film, I could not help but marvel at Firth's amazing performance and he really caries this one on his shoulders. Beyond him, the film is a very nice period drama with pitch perfect art and costume direction that really define the era that is covered here. Geoffrey Rush also did a very good job here, though I cannot help but think he almost got overshadowed by Firth's powerhouse performance in the lead role. The film also does a good job making us feel sympathy for the King as he struggles with this debilitating speech impediment that prevents him from being able to speak to his nation as he should.

In terms of negatives, this one has a couple which prevent me from giving it a higher score. First off, it is incredibly slow. The final 15-20 minutes are gold and exactly what we are waiting for, but, while everything before certainly has its moments, it certainly drags a fair bit. I was never bored, but it was troublesome to say the least. Also, this one does not strike me as a film with a lot of replay value. I watched it and now what? If this one is on television or what not, I do not really envision myself stopping and having to watch it again. Regardless, it is quite a good film and it is not hard to see why it did so well at the Oscars.
  10. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    Colin Firth gives a solid performance in this rich, historical drama about King George VI's rise to the throne, which gained him his first Oscar win. However, I liked his performance in A Single Man much better. Geoffrey Rush steals the show and makes this overrated movie worth watching.
  11. Nov 29, 2010
    A wonderful story of friendship and how families operate. Colin Firth delivers another incredible performance, like he seemingly does every year. His relationships with his wife (Carter) and speech therapist (Rush) are so vivid an palpable, and I love how the very rich history is brought to life using their lens. It's also really interesting to get a glimpse into young Queen Elizabeth's life.
  12. Dec 8, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic film! The story is so touching, and the actors truly portray the characters to perfection. Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, they all deliver such strong and realistic performances; the audience simply falls in love with each character, making the story that much more touching. Colin Firth really gives a brilliant performance. He really doesAbsolutely fantastic film! The story is so touching, and the actors truly portray the characters to perfection. Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, they all deliver such strong and realistic performances; the audience simply falls in love with each character, making the story that much more touching. Colin Firth really gives a brilliant performance. He really does a good job of showing the conflict and emotions of the character. I really loved the scene where he cries......great acting. A great performance; I can't wait to see him holding the Oscar for Best Actor, he deserves it.

The King's Speech is one of the most touching, emotional, and heart felt movies I have seen. Basically, you just need to see it for yourself. It truly is a brilliant film that has everything, even some humor. I thought this movie would be drowned out by the brilliant "The Social Network," but it closed out the year taking home the Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Actor! A wonderful film!
  13. Jan 5, 2011
    The man in the top hat looks so doleful. He has the aspect of somebody who's just been handed down a death sentence by his physician. Crazy as this may sound, but if you were to propose a litany of hypotheticals toward the man in the top hat, he would probably choose cancer and an ordinary life, as he slowly approaches the mic. Unfortunately for him, appearances to the contrary, theThe man in the top hat looks so doleful. He has the aspect of somebody who's just been handed down a death sentence by his physician. Crazy as this may sound, but if you were to propose a litany of hypotheticals toward the man in the top hat, he would probably choose cancer and an ordinary life, as he slowly approaches the mic. Unfortunately for him, appearances to the contrary, the doleful man is fit as a fiddle, and because of his birthright, slated to live a quotidian-free life, without his ever asking. After all, he's the Duke of York, and the words in those royal hands compose not a prescription for pills, but a keynote speech, one that would live in infamy, as the words would get stuck in his throat before a capacity crowd gathered at Wembley Stadum for the Empire Exhibition of 1932. Adding insult to injury, the duke's implosion is being broadcasted over the wireless, in which his oratorical impotence, no doubt, will make him a laughingstock all across the UK. No longer can he get away with remaining silent like his predecessors, stoic monarchs who lived during the age when simply being was enough. Stammering in the fog, the duke is literally turning green. Similar to Stanley Donen's "Singin' in the Rain", in which "The Jazz Singer" forced the conversion of "The Dueling Cavaliers" into a talkie, here too, the advent of sound changes the game the game for all the royal players consecrated around their means of subsistence. Much to the duke's great consternation, a speech impediment, thanks to the emerging technology, is now a matter of public record, and as a result, the future king's ability to "perform" his role, is put into question by his British subjects who are no longer mere subjects, but instead, comprise of an audience. His father, George V, suggests the basis behind the analogy between these two films, when he tells his younger son that the halcyon days of waving from moving carriages are over, in which the hand gesture, the simple execution of a purely unadulterated kinetic act, can no longer compete with the human voice. Like Norma Talmadge, the alleged inspiration behind Jean Hagen's character Lina Lamont, an idiosyncratic voice could have ended his career. Lucky for George V, god saved the republic by blessing him with an instrument that's positively stentorian. The outgoing king goes on to complain about having been transformed into an actor, and therefore, obligated to make a connection with his people. The king is wrong, of course, since radio or no radio, he already was a performer, a silent one. His success at mastering the new medium puts him in the same league as Greta Garbo and Marlene Dietrich, just to name a few. Verbal communication merely raises the stakes on the royal acting racket. Too bad for the duke that his job wasn't a simply a matter of hiring Debbie Reynolds to stand behind a camera have her read lines in-sync with his moving mouth. The sudden foregrounding of the voice over gesture put the future king on notice. Comparably speaking, soon after Al Jolson uttered the line, "You ain't heard nothing yet," not a peep was heard out of countless leading lights from the silent film era, most notably, Gloria Swanson, who played Norma Desmond in Billy Wilder's "Sunset Boulevard", the ultimate poison-pen letter to all things Hollywood. At Westminster Abbey, on the eve of his coronation, the duke brings up the unfortunate case of George the third, the king, who like the fictional siren, went mad, and as he relays his worries over being abdicated from the throne like his ancestor was to the Australian, the speech therapist Lionel Logue, the method to the unlicensed doctor's madness comes into sharp focus. Perceived to be anti-establishment, due to the quack's insistence that he be considered an equal of the duke's throughout their sessions, "The King's Speech", with its echoes of the anarchy-minded "Queen(The)", diverges from the Stephen Frears film with an agenda that belies the outward appearance of irreverence towards the crown. Largely because the speech therapist takes the liberty of using the duke's informal name, likewise, the audience, being privy to Birdie's Achilles Heel, considers themselves to be the king's equal, as well, implicated as such through the shared experience of public speaking, a bane to many, which unites the rich and famous with the anonymous. As Birdie frets over his public image and public opinion, Lionel stealthily seizes and occupies St. Edward's chair; we're there too, represented by the names carved into the wood, but then Lionel, speaking for himself, and on behalf of us(the metaphoric interlopers who crashed the seat), incites the king to kick out the Aussie and the transplanted moviegoer out of his rightful place on the coronation chair. In effect, the audience participates in their own marginalization, as they cheer on Birdie's self-realization that he's better than the common man. Expand
  14. Dec 22, 2010
    It is hard to find a flaw in a film with an incredible cast delivering award winning performances, beautiful cinematography, direction, costumes and musical score and an interesting story packed with drama, humour and suspense.
  15. May 12, 2013
    Overall “The King’s Speech” is a great movie. The story is entertaining and the actors do a fantastic job bringing the characters to life. When you bring in the fact that this movie is based off of a true story you have the stage set for a great movie that truly deserves some attention. The lighting, camera work, and costumes help contribute to the setting and create a wonderfulOverall “The King’s Speech” is a great movie. The story is entertaining and the actors do a fantastic job bringing the characters to life. When you bring in the fact that this movie is based off of a true story you have the stage set for a great movie that truly deserves some attention. The lighting, camera work, and costumes help contribute to the setting and create a wonderful environment. All of these elements are the reason why I enjoyed “The Kings Speech” it didn’t pull my heartstrings but it kept me entertained and it will do the same for you. Expand
  16. Dec 30, 2010
    After seeing the boring "Tron" and "Narnia" films, I was in the mood for a movie with some real acting in it. I loved this film. I knew that Firth and Rush would be great together, but I was taken by surprise by the cinematography as well. It was fun being inside the castles and palaces. Colin Firth is really on a roll lately, Geoffrey Rush is amazing as always, and the supporting castAfter seeing the boring "Tron" and "Narnia" films, I was in the mood for a movie with some real acting in it. I loved this film. I knew that Firth and Rush would be great together, but I was taken by surprise by the cinematography as well. It was fun being inside the castles and palaces. Colin Firth is really on a roll lately, Geoffrey Rush is amazing as always, and the supporting cast is as good as it gets. Highly recommended. Expand
  17. Feb 21, 2011
    Duke of York, has stammer & speech problems, goes to unconventional therapist, King/Father dies, Brother abdicates, made King, has to overcome disability.
    Wonderful film which is moving, warm & funny with superb performances from both Colin Firth & Geoffrey Rush.
    Authenticity & casting are spot on with good support from Helena Bonham Carter & Guy Pearce although wasn't too convinced by Timothy Spall's Churchill.
  18. Dec 1, 2011
    Its easily one of the greatest films of all time. The acting is simply amazing and Colin Firth is an amazing lead for this film. I highly recommend it.
  19. Nov 26, 2011
    Easily one of the greatest films you will ever see. Sadly though people are shallow and dont see the bigger picture that the film represents. The acting was wonderful and the entire film was simply a master piece.
  20. Lyn
    Jan 4, 2011
    Colin Firth is just as amazing as you've heard. And like a juicy book about historical figures, this film will make you want to find out more about these characters with whom (unless you're a real Anglophile) you might not have been very familiar. In my opinion, not quite as good as "The Queen," however.
  21. Feb 28, 2013
    One watches movies to be entertained. Apart from a few heart wrenching scenes in which the lead is stuck in a stutter and embarrasses himself, the movie was a drag and got really boring, except for an occasional funny line here and there. The editing is the real culprit here. The audience has been attuned to fast paced dramas and anything slowing the narrative has no place in modern filmOne watches movies to be entertained. Apart from a few heart wrenching scenes in which the lead is stuck in a stutter and embarrasses himself, the movie was a drag and got really boring, except for an occasional funny line here and there. The editing is the real culprit here. The audience has been attuned to fast paced dramas and anything slowing the narrative has no place in modern film and literature. If a movie is this long, it should offer more than just some scenes about a person practicing his lines for a speech, which would have been understood with just a few scenes, for we're not stupid. Back story and character development for the main character was lacking. If they were hellbent to stick to just showing the king stutter over and over, and offer no explanations and character depth, the length could have been cut a lot. True Grit, The Social Network and Inception were better movies, and every one of them deserved Best Picture more than this one. Expand
  22. Mar 12, 2011
    "Truly Moving , uplifting , and completely brilliant from start to a glorious finish. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush give the best performances of there career. Immersible and stylishly clever , Kings Speech will have you interested and loving the film , by closing credits" .. A++
  23. Feb 17, 2011
    Such a beautiful movie, beautiful soundtrack by Alexander Desplat and totally brilliant and touching performance by Colin Firth. Beautiful biopic about King George VI. Tom Hooper is great but I think it's not amazing movie but a beautiful movie
  24. May 31, 2011
    The transformation of Firth's character in the final act is amazing to watch! We go from an incredibly terrified Royal to a very proud man. Rush gives another excellent performance, perhaps better than Firth?
  25. Oct 28, 2011
    Simply put, it is one of the best films of the past decade. The thing that stood out to me the most was the absolutely superb performances by everyone in the cast, across the line. Obviously, Firth, Bonham Carter, and Rush were exquisite and definitely deserved their Oscar nominations (and Firth his win). Subtle, yet beautiful performance by everyone that create strong connections betweenSimply put, it is one of the best films of the past decade. The thing that stood out to me the most was the absolutely superb performances by everyone in the cast, across the line. Obviously, Firth, Bonham Carter, and Rush were exquisite and definitely deserved their Oscar nominations (and Firth his win). Subtle, yet beautiful performance by everyone that create strong connections between the characters and audience. The screenplay was written beautifully and is quite refreshingly funny and endearing, something that historic dramas often struggle with. Technically, also, the film was top-notch, with excellence in art design and costumes, but also some beautiful cinematography and an amazing score by the always brilliant Alexandre Desplat. "The King's Speech" has it all - brilliance in writing, performance and technique, which is anything and everything a film could wish for. BRAVO! Expand
  26. Feb 10, 2011
    Giving a public speech has always been difficult thing to do for most of people. Not everyone could deliver it well, you could simply change your job if it did not suit you, but what if you are a King and everybody waiting and expect something from you. King George VI is the father of Queen Elizabeth II. Thiz is the story about early years of his reign in 1920-1940s. For his difficulty ofGiving a public speech has always been difficult thing to do for most of people. Not everyone could deliver it well, you could simply change your job if it did not suit you, but what if you are a King and everybody waiting and expect something from you. King George VI is the father of Queen Elizabeth II. Thiz is the story about early years of his reign in 1920-1940s. For his difficulty of public speaking, to heal his stammer, he hired an Australian Speech Therapist, Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush) through some unorthodox techniques. Later, in addition to that process they bound to some manhood relationships and find greater meaning in life. The movie directed by Tom Hooper who is known for a movie about the famous Football Club, Leeds United in THE DAMNED UNITED (2009). In thiz film, he used many unusual styles. The cinematography is interesting, in one moment he putting the face of the characters precise in middle of the screen, leaving significant unusual distance. In another moment, he puts the object precisely in the lower left of the screen. Most of the time, everything looks even different, he provides three dimensional view with his concave perspective. It is eccentric but works quite well. Those techniques emphasize the honesty and integrity through its story-telling. But the element that makes thiz movie works really well, it is Colin Firth who is transforming his body and soul to be Duke of York or better known as King George VI. I can feel his effort and weakness clearly in his complex character. No doubt is one of Firth best performances of all-time. The other great role that deserves to be mentioned is Helena Bonham Carter as his wife, Queen Elizabeth. Thiz is one of the rare times I find that she could be so normal, after her previous roles that were mostly gothic. Guy Pearce is quite convincing too as his older brother who was forced to abdicate, Edward VIII. The small but interesting role also comes from Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill. Last time, the Director Tom Hooper lifted incredible story about football, he did not get much attention although it was a great movie as well. Now with the same quality of work, plus extraordinary performance from Colin Firth, he surely will get more attention than before. That is the difference when you take the story between football and real monarchy. It needs a great speech to be a great leader, but it needs a great Heart to be a great King.

Visit My Blog on JONNYâ
  27. Jan 2, 2011
    There aren't very many negative things to say about this exceptionally well-crafted film, as Hooper injects much-need flair into the direction and all of the leads turn in solid, if not great performances. It was a little too hoighty-toighty for my taste though, and I wish I connected to the characters a bit more. But overall, it's nearly impossible to dislike.
  28. Jan 21, 2011
    I don't get to see movies like this too often. While the pacing was slow in parts, I felt like it was intentional due to the need to have the viewer "feel" King George VI's own slow pace. Otherwise, the acting, script, locations and emotion were flawless. The effort made by the recently-defunct UK Film Council to get this picture made and distributed was Herculean.
  29. Aug 14, 2011
    I never was a fan of dramas so I didn't have high expectations for this movie. But then this turned out to be one of the greatest films I ever watched. Colin Firth gave one of the best performances I've ever seen. I can see why he won Best Actor at the Oscars. I highly recommend this movie to anyone and everyone. A pure masterpiece.
  30. Sep 15, 2011
    Le Discours d'un roi, voilà le film inattendu de cette année! Avec un concept original (bien que réel) et des têtes connues, ce long-métrage aurait seulement suscité la curiosité de plusieurs personnes. Mais c'était sans compter sur le charme du film. Un charme qui provient notamment deLe Discours d'un roi, voilà le film inattendu de cette année! Avec un concept original (bien que réel) et des têtes connues, ce long-métrage aurait seulement suscité la curiosité de plusieurs personnes. Mais c'était sans compter sur le charme du film. Un charme qui provient notamment de l'excellente prestation de chaque acteur (Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, Derek Jacobi...), de la bande originale d'Alexandre Desplat, des dialogues et de la reconstitution de l'époque (décors, costumes, accessoires...). Mais surtout, le film doit son charisme à son ambiance, qui en restant d'une sobriété incroyable parvient tout du long à dégager une extraordinaire puissance, rendant cette histoire et ces personnages merveilleusement attachants. Le Discours d'un Roi, le film à ne pas manquer, sous aucun prétexte! Expand
  31. Dec 29, 2010
    Despite the excellent acting, I found the movie one dimensional and slightly tedious. There really were few highs or lows to the film. Another boring British period piece to me.
  32. Dec 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Displaying a gorgeous cinematography, mesmerizing performances and an engaging story, "The King's Speech" is certainly a crowd pleaser. But will all that appeal compensate the predictable and simple plot? I think so. Even tough there's no challenge situation that can impress us, Colin Firth is perfect at making us care about the King's situation. Expand
  33. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. any movie is defined by the idea behind it or the story based on,
    in this movie we don't have an idea, we have a story,
    the problem is the story is limited,
    so there is a major element lacking from the movie, the story is one-sided, short story stretched into a two hours movie,
    and of course everything have good side and a bad side,
    the good side is that the execution is perfect,Colin Firth was very good and the directing was perfect.
    and the bad side is that the entire story is about shining a light on people with speech impediment and a royal family members with flaws, and this is as far as the movie can go,
    not saying it's bad but didn't worth the hype.
  34. Jan 13, 2012
    The King Speech is an unique movie because is about a man dealing with problems looking for a solution, and that makes it very close to everyday life. Which adds strength to the movie is that this man is the King of England during the interwar period, and his problem is stuttering. But the King is not alone; he has a determined wife, who wont rest until her husband is completely cured.The King Speech is an unique movie because is about a man dealing with problems looking for a solution, and that makes it very close to everyday life. Which adds strength to the movie is that this man is the King of England during the interwar period, and his problem is stuttering. But the King is not alone; he has a determined wife, who wont rest until her husband is completely cured. Because of this, the couple goes to visit an unconventional speech therapist that is also a failed interpreter of Shakespeare. Here lies the brightness of the film, because of a doubled sided situation, irony and reality struggle and work together to take the plot all the way to the climax.
    With excellent direction, strong script, unbelievable performances and occasional jokes, the movie keeps you hooked for almost two hours. Its also remarkable the form in which self improvement and team work, leads to overcome a disability; which, by the way, is awfully hard to develop in a movie. And if you add to this, the evolution of a character with a repressed past, to one that can manage an entire country; you get an Academy Award winner.
  35. Mar 12, 2011
    What impels "The King's Speech" is its facility to delineate a punctual biopic without losing its charm and charisma that shimmers, and speaks to the engrossing ardor that encapsulates internal struggle. The painstaking desire to squelch our visceral "stammers" is felt deep within; plaudits of praise is well-deserved.
  36. Apr 7, 2013
    I'm not seeing what all the hype is about. Sure, there are some funny moments and superb acting but the whole story, events, excitement etc. are all lacking. The King's Speech does what it sets out to do very well, but that's not saying much given how it doesn't try to do anything at all. There's no actual tangible content which makes this film worth watching. Only those who get emotionalI'm not seeing what all the hype is about. Sure, there are some funny moments and superb acting but the whole story, events, excitement etc. are all lacking. The King's Speech does what it sets out to do very well, but that's not saying much given how it doesn't try to do anything at all. There's no actual tangible content which makes this film worth watching. Only those who get emotional over absolutely everything can enjoy this film in my opinion. No action, no excitement, no laughter. Just plain boring. Expand
  37. Jan 28, 2011
    What can I say, an Oscar worthy thanks to the performance from Colin Firth, great acting, well directed and an amazing true story. Usually, I hate movies about politics, but I gotta say, this one manage me to keep me entertained. I never saw a movie with so much emotions from the actors. Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter delivered a great performance as well. The main reason that IWhat can I say, an Oscar worthy thanks to the performance from Colin Firth, great acting, well directed and an amazing true story. Usually, I hate movies about politics, but I gotta say, this one manage me to keep me entertained. I never saw a movie with so much emotions from the actors. Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter delivered a great performance as well. The main reason that I liked this movie it's because I really got involved in the story. When was the last time that you were deeply involved in a movie ? In this case, '' The King's Speech '' is one of them. Expand
  38. Feb 6, 2011
    Not often do you see a movie without action, sex, or violence and sit glued to your chair hanging on every word. And quite honestly, this is what The King's Speech delivers. The dialogue will leave you speechless. The ensemble cast of great actor's takes you to that special place. If this movie doesn't win the OSCAR in just about every major category there is no justice in Hollywood.Not often do you see a movie without action, sex, or violence and sit glued to your chair hanging on every word. And quite honestly, this is what The King's Speech delivers. The dialogue will leave you speechless. The ensemble cast of great actor's takes you to that special place. If this movie doesn't win the OSCAR in just about every major category there is no justice in Hollywood. Don't walk, rather run, to see this cinematography genius. Expand
  39. Jan 26, 2012
    To be burdened with holding supreme power, status, and authority of a monarch must not be an easy task. Throw a speech impediment into the mix and the result would surely be near impossible. That's what George VI, otherwise known as "the Reluctant Kingâ
  40. Aug 10, 2011
    A success this big only comes when you bring three of the best active British actors together to make an extremely British movie. Its sets are beautifully detailed and the scenes between Firth and Rush show great chemistry, as well
  41. Jan 8, 2012
    Geoffrey Rush is charming! Full of wit, humor and humility. Decent enough to take a real period piece film seriously without being to Hollywood blockbuster. Firth makes character likable. Both are adoring. Long live
  42. Dec 28, 2010
    The King's Speech is visual stunning with it's fantastic cinematography, dramatic performances from the cast, and it's perfect pacing. The story set back in the early 1930s when World War II was beginning. King George V was serious ill and when he died, he gave the throne to his oldest son. Unfortunately, George's oldest son was dethroned by the Parliment and gave the spot to the nextThe King's Speech is visual stunning with it's fantastic cinematography, dramatic performances from the cast, and it's perfect pacing. The story set back in the early 1930s when World War II was beginning. King George V was serious ill and when he died, he gave the throne to his oldest son. Unfortunately, George's oldest son was dethroned by the Parliment and gave the spot to the next oldest son, (Berty, Colin Firth). Berty became King George VI and carrying on his shoulder the weight of going to war. Giving a wartime speech is clearly very important at the time but it was proven very difficult since Berty had a stammering problem ever since he was little. His wife, Elizabeth, seeked help from a "speech therapist", Lionel (Geoffrey Rush). Although he was helping the king of England, Lionel treats Berty as if he was a normal guy. Earning trust throughout the months from the king, Geoffrey was able to help the king give a decent speech. Predictable, but there wasn't supposed to be any surprises. Colin Firth is perhaps the only actor in Hollywood who can stammer his lines as good as he was in this film. But stammering and pausing in between words isn't going to cut it. Giving an emotional yet humorous performance, Colin Firth has guaranteed himself a spot in this year's Academy Awards. Firth isn't the only one who stood out. His companions Helena Bohem Carter and Geoffrey Rush is probably the best choice for the roles they played. Playing the king's wife and had very little lines, Helena Bohen Carter is still eligible for her second Oscar nomination which she will earn. Geoffrey Rush as a teacher isn't the best idea, but seeing him on screen is gripping in every which way. David Seidler delivered a very top-class script that points towards the Oscars in every direction. Making Colin Firth pausing in between everything he says and Geoffrey Rush's smooth language, Seidler is about to earn himself a first Oscar nomination.
    Tom Hooper directed this without holding back proving himself to be one of the better directors in Hollywood. Making an R-rated film only because of a few F-words shows that he was willing to make the film for what it is, not to get a larger audience. With great knowledge on the era and fantastic style, Tom Hooper is the guy to watch out for.
    Solidly written, beautifully cinematographed, elegantly directed, and perfectly acted, The King's Speech might be the Best Picture contender to look out for (The Social Network).
    OscarBuzz: A lot but here are the major, Best Picture (might win), Best Director (good chance), Best Actor (Colin Firth, might win), Best Supporting Actress (good chance), Best Supporting Actor (Geoffrey Rush, might win), Best Screenplay (good chance) I thought The Social Network was going to definitely win the Best Picture, but after seeing this, I don't know who's going to win anymore. But it is definitely going down to The King's Speech and The Social Network.
  43. Jan 28, 2011
    Great acting in a beautifully produced film. Watch it!
  44. Jun 16, 2011
    Driven by strong performances by Firth, Rush, and Bonham-Carter, the King's Speech is by far the best film of 2010. The score is incredibly rich and emotional. The set is restricted and narrow, and gives one the feeling of what George VI is going through. This is a superb period piece, and a great biopic. It deserves all the awards that it one, especially the Oscar for Best Picture. NotDriven by strong performances by Firth, Rush, and Bonham-Carter, the King's Speech is by far the best film of 2010. The score is incredibly rich and emotional. The set is restricted and narrow, and gives one the feeling of what George VI is going through. This is a superb period piece, and a great biopic. It deserves all the awards that it one, especially the Oscar for Best Picture. Not seeing The King's Speech will be the biggest cinematic mistake of your life. Expand
  45. Jan 5, 2013
    This wonderful film is about the true story of how the Duke of York was stammerer and got help from an Australian speech therapist who believed that doctor techniques were stupid. Geoffrey Rush and Colin Firth both have strong performances not to mention a good performance by Helena Bonham Carter. It is amazing how he was before the speech therapist and how well he did with the speech therapist.
  46. Dec 27, 2010
    Let me say this in a simple statement: Tom Hooper's The King's Speech is in my opinion the best film of 2010. Director Tom Hooper's (known for John Adams) The King's Speech is a British period piece depicting the speech impediment of King George IV (Coling Firth). After the death of his father and the scandalous resignation of his brother King Edward VIII, George is abruptly given theLet me say this in a simple statement: Tom Hooper's The King's Speech is in my opinion the best film of 2010. Director Tom Hooper's (known for John Adams) The King's Speech is a British period piece depicting the speech impediment of King George IV (Coling Firth). After the death of his father and the scandalous resignation of his brother King Edward VIII, George is abruptly given the royal position. Taking on the country on the brink of World War II, the King, with the help of speech therapist Lionel Lugue (Geoffrey Rush), must overcome his stammer to address a country ready for battle. Let's start with script, The King's Speech is a light-hearted and passionate approach to a small aspect in one of the most major events in history (I am of course referring to World War II). The film's dialogue masterfully combines elements of wit with serious dialogue. The use of Rush as comic relief provides a nice balance between the otherwise grim deterioration of Britain's parliament and the protagonist's struggle to find success. The King's Speech succeeds in combining more than an one-dimensional emotion. Performance-wise, Colin Firth steals the show. Coming from his nomination in A Single Man, Firth returns with an Oscar in mind. Firth plays his role as George VI with apparent repressed emotion and humor that still maintains the character's dignity. Geoffrey Rush, who plays George's speech therapist, and Helena Bolena Carter, the future Queen Mother, respectively deserve a nomination for their support of Firth's character. What makes The King's Speech my "best film of 2010," does not solely lay in its mechanics unlike The Social Network. Rather, the film blends great film making with a story full of inspiration with no cliche present. Firth's character is a character that most will sympathize as we can all see ourselves in King George VI's personal struggle. Although somewhat predictable, The King's Speech will grab you, inspire you, and uplift your soul. Expand
  47. Nov 3, 2011
    Another great addition to the category of period dramas. Masterfully acted by Colin Firth and with an impressive supporting cast, The King's Speech is Oscar gold. 4/4 stars.
  48. Jun 20, 2013
    Boring,dull,lifeless picture about a guy who shudders. Pretty good ending but the rest of the movie was a drag. Firth does his best with the acting. But I can't get over the fact that this is universal acclaim. A man who studders and can't do a speech. I don't get it.
  49. Apr 27, 2011
    story is excellent. screenplay is almost perfect. direction is awesome. cast performances are splendid. climax is motivating. cinematography is eye popping. camera work is ok. music is rare and soothing in the climax. everything is perfect in this. just a hinch of hiccups in screenplay during the second half beginning. comments: slight hiccups in screenplay and not perfect camera movement.
  50. Jan 22, 2011
    An amazing and well put together movie. Rush and Firth lead the helm with their superb skills, but so many others did so well in this film(Carter and Spall!). The cinematography and overall look of the film is exceptional. There is real tension and emotion here. It's a great work, in practically all aspects, but this film is not for everyone since it is devoid of much physical action, butAn amazing and well put together movie. Rush and Firth lead the helm with their superb skills, but so many others did so well in this film(Carter and Spall!). The cinematography and overall look of the film is exceptional. There is real tension and emotion here. It's a great work, in practically all aspects, but this film is not for everyone since it is devoid of much physical action, but if you can overlook that is might be the film of the year. Expand
  51. Feb 2, 2011
    For sure, the film is predicable, but the brilliant performances and the stylish production are more than enough to make up for it. Colin Firth is masterful: no lesser man could have achieved what he has in this film. Geoffrey Rush is hilarious and brilliant, as usual. Helena Bonham Carter gives depth to a character that has very little screen time, no small feat at all. The people willFor sure, the film is predicable, but the brilliant performances and the stylish production are more than enough to make up for it. Colin Firth is masterful: no lesser man could have achieved what he has in this film. Geoffrey Rush is hilarious and brilliant, as usual. Helena Bonham Carter gives depth to a character that has very little screen time, no small feat at all. The people will love it, the critics will love it, and, perhaps most obviously, the Oscars will love it to death. Expand
  52. Jan 26, 2011
    I was overwhelm by Rush performance. The story is full of hope and courage. Although the end can be foreseen, it keeps you till the end with the pleasure of taking port of the 'king' emotions. It's a nice movie.
  53. Dec 18, 2010
    It isnt very often that a crowd pleasing film and a work of art go hand and hand but led by performances that are sure to be nominated for Academy Awards, "The King's Speech" is delightful and is a wonderful film to see for the holidays.
  54. Feb 11, 2011
    As everyone else has said, it's amazing. Flawless acting and settings immerse you. Beautifully done, deserving of it's 12 academy award nominations. Social Network ro King's Speech? very tough call
  55. Mar 7, 2014
    This movie is near perfection. Winner of four Oscars rightfully so, you will not be disappointed after watching this. An incredible true story of a man trying to get over his stammer and fear of public speaking which many people can easily relate to. The cinematography is absolutely amazing and really makes you feel nervous for him while watching the film. In terms of acting, everyone inThis movie is near perfection. Winner of four Oscars rightfully so, you will not be disappointed after watching this. An incredible true story of a man trying to get over his stammer and fear of public speaking which many people can easily relate to. The cinematography is absolutely amazing and really makes you feel nervous for him while watching the film. In terms of acting, everyone in the movie is brilliant especially Firth in the leading role. Overall this is one of the best movies I have ever seen and is the highest rating I have ever given on Metacritic. 91.3 out of 100. Expand
  56. Jan 14, 2011
    Those who say that there are few if any surprises in this film are correct. Nonetheless, the dialog and the performances are so good, that I consider this one of the two best films I've seen this year. (The other is The Social Network.) The audience spontaneously broke into well-deserved applause at the end of the film.
  57. Jul 20, 2011
    The incredible acting of Firth and Rush compel us through this interesting and touching historical drama. From the simplistic beauty of the sets to the enchanting score, this is monumental cinema and a true example at how the British Film Industry is far from death - it is, in fact, at its pinnacle.
  58. Feb 12, 2011
    Well... just by giving a 10 out of 10, do I have to say more? Do I have to spell it out for you? At this point it really doesn't matter what I'm gonna say but what you've seen... this movie shows what effort can do... to be more redundant (according to this topic, of course)... this movie is shouting every possible emotion on every character, and believe me, there was no problem on talkingWell... just by giving a 10 out of 10, do I have to say more? Do I have to spell it out for you? At this point it really doesn't matter what I'm gonna say but what you've seen... this movie shows what effort can do... to be more redundant (according to this topic, of course)... this movie is shouting every possible emotion on every character, and believe me, there was no problem on talking here.
    Colin Firth, keeps surprising me with every movie he takes part in. But, talking just in this case, what an amazing performance! Shyness, bad temper, impotence, medical problems, self-concience issues, past traumas, inexperience in some cases, and that sense of great responsability (it resembles to Lion King's Simba for this kind of feeling, ''I cannot be what I am''), all these feelings gathered and mixed in a chaotic way within Colin's character, and every one of them better than the other you've just seen. Perfect, in each and every single way to say it, JUST SAY IT: PERFECT PERFORMANCE, TOTALLY CHAOTICALLY PERFECT. Colin, you've got the whole responsability with your character, and madly well done.
    Geoffrey Rush takes a lot in this movie too, I'm not forgeting him. Of course no. He keeps this chaotic mixture and tranforms it into a perfectly done puzzle of a great King image. A great performance too. Good man, good job! And of course Helena B.Carter, of course... the most believable serious character she've ever done! At first it was such a weird thing to know he was nominated for her supporting role here, because she was always as crazy (in the good way) as Tim Burton... you know what I mean. But here, unstoppable. Like a perfect royal lady must be.
    Music made by the same compositor from the last 2/3 Harry Potter movies (Alexandre Desplat) who is new at this. But he's growing, day by day. Such a good job too.
    No doubts, 12 oscars belong here... KING SIZE.
  59. Aug 11, 2011
    This film is just amazing, a great performance from Colin Firth which was definitely worthy of his Oscar. Also an outstanding performance from Geoffrey Rush, the supporting rolls are also done exceptionally well to, like the rolls portrayed by Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, and Michael Gambon. This film is one of the best I've ever seen.
  60. Jan 30, 2011
    Okay, after looking at some of these reviews I seem to be way off the mark on this one!! But have you ever sat through a movie and from the get go, just not believed a thing that the actors were doing and saw them just as actors acting?? Well thats exactly how I felt watching this!!! Colin Firth was spitting and stuttering on cue while throwing temper tantrums that would make a 3 year oldOkay, after looking at some of these reviews I seem to be way off the mark on this one!! But have you ever sat through a movie and from the get go, just not believed a thing that the actors were doing and saw them just as actors acting?? Well thats exactly how I felt watching this!!! Colin Firth was spitting and stuttering on cue while throwing temper tantrums that would make a 3 year old look childish and Geoffrey Rush was looking oh so very Caricature. It just felt like an over acted, staged, Oscar Hungry play....not a movie!! The entire audience seemed blown away after the film but I just didnt get it!!! Expand
  61. Aug 20, 2011
    This movie was absolutely fantastic. Heartwarming, with an unforgettable academy award winning performance from colin firth, and a very funny and charming geoffry rush, along with the also charming helena bonahm carter, The King's Speech succeeds with a great script from david seidler, three brilliant performances, and beautiful direction from tom hooper. The 2nd best film of 2010 besidesThis movie was absolutely fantastic. Heartwarming, with an unforgettable academy award winning performance from colin firth, and a very funny and charming geoffry rush, along with the also charming helena bonahm carter, The King's Speech succeeds with a great script from david seidler, three brilliant performances, and beautiful direction from tom hooper. The 2nd best film of 2010 besides david fincher's "The Social Network" the only reason this movie gets a 9 is because I think it's trying to much to be a oscar movie, unlike the social network. But still very satisfying. But it did not deserve best picture and diretcor. Those should have gone to The Social Network. But still very heartwarming and enjoyable. Expand
  62. Jul 10, 2011
    Yes, the acting was great and deserving of an oscar, the story was not. This was a fine movie if you are not looking for any real climax and enjoy a very slow pace, this film is an intricate look at an individual's struggle with public speaking. There are no real highs or lows, nothing that is particularly dramatic and therefore was relatively flat, the acting was excellent and there wasYes, the acting was great and deserving of an oscar, the story was not. This was a fine movie if you are not looking for any real climax and enjoy a very slow pace, this film is an intricate look at an individual's struggle with public speaking. There are no real highs or lows, nothing that is particularly dramatic and therefore was relatively flat, the acting was excellent and there was just enough of a script to keep you watching without losing interest. If going to movies is about entertainment and walking out ot the theater feeling like you had seen a memorable film this is not one of those. I could never see myself watching this movie again, this does not mean that it was bad, just that it was your typical "Picture of the Year". Expand
  63. Apr 9, 2011
    An impeccably well crafted film that tells the remarkable true story about the relationship between King George VI and his speech therapist. Due to constant embarrassment from his stammer, George VI seeks professional help and finds Lionel Logue, a self-declared speech therapist. Logue works hard to rid George of his impediment, albeit in an unorthodox manner, and they form aAn impeccably well crafted film that tells the remarkable true story about the relationship between King George VI and his speech therapist. Due to constant embarrassment from his stammer, George VI seeks professional help and finds Lionel Logue, a self-declared speech therapist. Logue works hard to rid George of his impediment, albeit in an unorthodox manner, and they form a teacher-monarch relationship that serves as the heart of the film.
    Not exactly groundbreaking work, but certainly inspired, "The King's Speech" is a lavish English drama that showcases a brilliant performance from the always charming Colin Firth. His attention to detail, especially in the scenes with Geoffrey Rush, is really what makes this biopic much more heartfelt and believable than some others I have seen lately. A terrific supporting cast, highlighted by performances from Rush and Helena Bonham Carter, along with the cinematography and that beautiful score from Desplat make this one of the most accomplished films of the year. Definitely worthy of its praise, "The King's Speech" is a charming film that details a wonderful sliver of English history.
  64. Jan 29, 2011
    As far as film's about speech impediments go, you can't go wrong with this. The banter is top notch. Firth and Rush are amazing together and the film keeps tempo.
  65. Feb 7, 2011
    Absolutely wonderful. Brilliant acting all around and brilliant directing. It is so nice to see a movie that doesn't have bloodshed, special effects all over the place, gratuitous sex, just a great story and great acting.
  66. Jan 16, 2012
    There is a reason why Colin Firth won Best Actor and there is a reason why this movie won Best Picture. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. One of the greatest films made in a long time.
  67. Nov 26, 2012
    Brilliant, exciting and perfectly cast, The King's Speech is one of my favorite movies ever. Top 5 easily. For a movie with very little action, per se, it moves quickly. The characters are memorable and fantastic in this story of the British move toward a second world war. Best Colin Firth ever. Best Geoffrey Rush ever. Just beautiful.
  68. Jan 5, 2011
    Definitely a solid film, but is so because of the individual performances and the relationship between Firth and Rush. Not sure if the film itself will have a lasting impact, but I know Firth's character will, as was with his coming out party in A Single Man...
  69. Apr 14, 2013
    The King's Speech was a very inspirational movie in showing one of the best examples in history of someone overcoming their speech impediment for the gain of an entire nation.
  70. Feb 28, 2011
    Wow, honestly one of the best movies I have ever watched, the performances were absolutely crazy. Colin Firth has always been a great actor in my eyes, and this just proved it to the rest of the world. This movie definitely deserved the Oscar that it won, and not mention Geoffrey Rush was outstanding in this one also.
  71. May 27, 2015
    The King's Speech is a glimpse into the life of royalty, of the father of our very own Queen Elizabeth II. For those (like me) who don't know much about history, the opening shots were complex in that we don't know if Albert is a king yet or not and we don't know why he's having so much trouble speaking, but it is all soon realized. Albert's first speech is painful to listen to. It showsThe King's Speech is a glimpse into the life of royalty, of the father of our very own Queen Elizabeth II. For those (like me) who don't know much about history, the opening shots were complex in that we don't know if Albert is a king yet or not and we don't know why he's having so much trouble speaking, but it is all soon realized. Albert's first speech is painful to listen to. It shows the beginning of the real struggles that will be later portrayed and the deep emotional context. Albert tries a variety of traditional medicines to rectify his stammer, but to us they look foreign and unorthodox. Lionel's practices are much more modern yet they are seen as so foreign only less than a century ago at this time.

The real class divide is shown between Lionel and Albert. The soon-to-be king has trouble recognizing that the stammer is somewhat mental and that to help his problem, he can't treat his doctor as if he's unimportant. Even Albert realizes that his problem can be cured, or at least helped, once he hears himself on that record that Lionel recorded.

Familial issues are a huge source of conflict and power shifts throughout the movie. "We're not a family, we're a firm," describes the context fairly well. King George V dies and so David takes over until he decides he must marry a divorced woman which leaves the unprepared and unwilling Albert to fill that role as King George VI. Albert seems to detest being in this position, mostly due to this speech impediment that he has so much trouble getting over.

Elizabeth–Albert's wife seems to be in this position were she must take care of her husband. She is of course married to a king, but this is a role women seem to take much too often in movies. Not that this isn't a valid way to live, but I did a little research and of all the movies I've watched over the past year, only 15 (compared to 57) had female leads. There was an even bleaker prospect for female directors with 77 male directors to 7 female. Kind of inspired me to make my own way in the industry, but who knows.

The movie concludes with the beginning of World War II and interactions with Hitler, where Lionel is constantly by the king's side. Of course this stammer is always a part of his life, but he manages to make it through successfully and become a successful wartime leader and king. And his daughter is still serving their country today.
  72. Jan 25, 2011
    Great story, great acting-- but I don't think I'm scratching any new surfaces not covered in other reviews. My only minor complaint is visually the film is a little lacking. Personally, one of the things I like most about true-history films are the establishing shots of the area in that time. Wide shots seemed few and far between in this movie, but there's more close-ups than I've seen inGreat story, great acting-- but I don't think I'm scratching any new surfaces not covered in other reviews. My only minor complaint is visually the film is a little lacking. Personally, one of the things I like most about true-history films are the establishing shots of the area in that time. Wide shots seemed few and far between in this movie, but there's more close-ups than I've seen in quite a while. If you are looking for stunning visuals of pre-war England this is not your movie-- but it doesn't do much to dampen that spirit of an already excellent film. Expand
  73. Jan 13, 2011
    C'mon people. You're just so happy with this movie because there's hardly any good movies this year. There is nothing surprising in this movie. You know the whole story and what's gonna happen from the trailer. Firth should win the oscar, but the movie is predictable and waisted five subplots that could of made the way too obviously predictable ending more powerful. Every character isC'mon people. You're just so happy with this movie because there's hardly any good movies this year. There is nothing surprising in this movie. You know the whole story and what's gonna happen from the trailer. Firth should win the oscar, but the movie is predictable and waisted five subplots that could of made the way too obviously predictable ending more powerful. Every character is one-note besides the two main characters. A nice hbo film. But not a great film worth winning Oscars or Golden Globes. Definitely an Emmy. Expand
  74. Nov 17, 2011
    This is one movie that I simply did my best to try to like, but it wasn't enough. I just didn't enjoy it. It was really slow at times and even though there were some good/okay parts, the rest is just pure unenjoyable content. I will say I liked some of the acting, and the film's cinematography was gorgeous. I'm not saying it's the worst film ever made, this is just one film I respectfully dislike.
  75. Feb 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fine film. The acting is good, so is the directing, the camera, the cinematography, the music, the costume design, set design, editing... all of it is good. The story was a great story. Why a 6 then? In a paradoxical way, just because of the above. It is good but not great. And worst of all: everything is predictable. No surprises ever come. 1) A disabled tormented man who shouldn't have to be King is actually going to be King. 2) He suffers from a stutter no one can help him cure. 3) Until he meets with an unorthodox yet far superior to any specialist in the Kingdom therapist that helps him. 4) Astonishing progress from day one. 5) We see them work. 6) They have an argument and stop seeing each other. 7) They make peace and work again. 8) Big day comes and everything works out great. The movie is just that linear and predictable. So I didn't dislike it. But I didn't like it. Expand
  76. May 31, 2011
    This film will enjoy but that does not make his good performances brilliant believe they have the ability to hide the poor quality of direcion by Tom Hooper, the film has a nice stance
  77. Feb 4, 2011
    I liked this film a lot. Colin Firth and Jeffrey Rush are both outstanding in The King's Speech. I was cringing every time Bertie went to speak. He had me stopped in my tracks. A good movie as well. Although, I was slightly disappointed with it. I had read such great things about the movie, and it was good, but I felt it was not best picture worthy. I think the acting carries the film, butI liked this film a lot. Colin Firth and Jeffrey Rush are both outstanding in The King's Speech. I was cringing every time Bertie went to speak. He had me stopped in my tracks. A good movie as well. Although, I was slightly disappointed with it. I had read such great things about the movie, and it was good, but I felt it was not best picture worthy. I think the acting carries the film, but the film itself is not astonishing. I think it runs around an 80 or 90. The cinematography was bland, scenarios short-lived, and the dialogue was too polished. I wish I could have seen more Jeffrey Rush as well. Expand
  78. Jul 3, 2011
    This was a very good movie. Thought it focuses more on character developement over plot, that's understandable because it's based off a true story. I'm glad it won best picture.
  79. Jan 19, 2011
    Excellent acting and directing. Well-paced. Subtle in its dramatic appeal. One of the year's best. In fact, there were very few flaws in this film... and I am very picky!
  80. Dec 31, 2010
    Solid all around. Firth is strong and Rush delivers a perf that might win a best supporting oscar in any other year, but not with Bale's turn as dicky ecklund. Too many facial close-ups marred this film for me a bit, yeah, we get it, he's struggling with his stammer. But overall, very professional film.
  81. Feb 10, 2011
    Oh, come on. A movie without action doesn't mean it's bad. The script is very well written, the cast act so well both together and independently and they managed to pull of such a weird sounding plot very well. Why a 9? I know it's based on true events, but they could've gone into more detail with the ending. I never got bored once in this movie, and that is really saying something.
  82. Jun 1, 2012
    Refreshingly good movie about a topic that the public knows little about. Although the story doesn't have much historical truth to it as much of the tale is completely made up - still it is good enought to believe that two people could work so hard together through such an ordeal.
  83. May 12, 2013
    I cant understand the point that the movie is boring and there is no action.
    The speech at the end was for preparing a whole nation for the second world war.So its pretty serious stuff.
    And i hate this guys who give Fast and the Furios a score of 10 and this film a 0 ranking! Its pretty annoying me. To the movie:Colin Firth was not overplayed.He made a very got job.And Geoffrey Rush
    I cant understand the point that the movie is boring and there is no action.
    Its pretty annoying me.
    To the movie:Colin Firth was not overplayed.He made a very got job.And Geoffrey Rush played also well.
    Because ist a historic movie i was worried that its to hauling.But my fear was not correct and i really enjoyed the film at every part.There were no lengths and the performances get me hooked.
    So i give it a 9 from 10.
  84. May 15, 2013
    The King's Speech is a film with visual magnificently well done a great photo and a great soundtrack and a strong direction, but will also praise for the cast to give a show of interpretation, including Colin Firth gave that show.
  85. USG
    Nov 21, 2011
    This is a fascinating story told in a unique perspective with a distinct, admirable style of cinematography that is memorable. It's surprising to see what can be accomplished with such a budget.
  86. Jan 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 8 t´s terrific, that movie is probably excelent and for my, it´s better than socil network. the acting of ruch, the charactor s have shown how mature they are, and the story is absolutely beatiful! Outstanding. and better thn all that 3d crab . Expand
  87. Apr 20, 2011
    I think the right word for the movie is moving. As I watched I really felt as though Firth really was struggling, and to watch the transformation from beginning to end is just an experience you really won't want to miss. Some may argue that the subject matter is dry, and I would argue the opposite. You have characters who develop throughout the movie and you are really shown how theI think the right word for the movie is moving. As I watched I really felt as though Firth really was struggling, and to watch the transformation from beginning to end is just an experience you really won't want to miss. Some may argue that the subject matter is dry, and I would argue the opposite. You have characters who develop throughout the movie and you are really shown how the development of those characters plays out. A must see! Expand
  88. Feb 2, 2011
    This film is enjoyable from beginning to end, which is all the more amazing when you realise that the plot could basically be summarised in a single sentence. The performances are all riveting and I can attest that the stories of spontaneous ovations in theatres all over are backed by my experience here in Sydney. If The King's Speech is beaten by any picture (especially the extremelyThis film is enjoyable from beginning to end, which is all the more amazing when you realise that the plot could basically be summarised in a single sentence. The performances are all riveting and I can attest that the stories of spontaneous ovations in theatres all over are backed by my experience here in Sydney. If The King's Speech is beaten by any picture (especially the extremely overrated Black Swan) at the Oscars, I will be very disappointed. Expand
  89. Dec 31, 2010
    An absolutely outstanding movie! I cannot remember when an audience spontaneously broke out in applause at the end of a movie! Truly, an incredible film. Kudos to the entire cast and crew! Thank you for making going to the movies fun again!
  90. Jan 17, 2011
    THe thing that I most liked was the acting and sarcasm out of both...the film is a very slow plotted one but still is worth watching. The direction is very peculiar and appropriate for the pacing of the movie. Drama, laughter, rage and pity.
  91. Jan 20, 2011
    This was a great story and I'm glad it was told. The three primary actors, Geoffrey Rush, Colin Firth, and Helena Bonham Carter, were amazing. Colin Firth, especially. Colin Firth's performance was one of the best of the year, for sure.
  92. Jan 31, 2011
    It's no mean task to get an audience on the side of a member of the privileged British aristocracy, but masterful screenwriting, acting and direction conspire to ensure just that. A small, very personal story on a grand scale.
  93. Feb 2, 2011
    Being asked what your favorite movie is or what is the best movie of all time is, most would say the Godfather, I would say that it has not been made yet, but for this movie to trump my favorite, The Shawshank Redemption, that is saying something. This was a bro-mance movie at base value but the performances delivered, it made me laugh and cry as cliche as it is but it really hit home withBeing asked what your favorite movie is or what is the best movie of all time is, most would say the Godfather, I would say that it has not been made yet, but for this movie to trump my favorite, The Shawshank Redemption, that is saying something. This was a bro-mance movie at base value but the performances delivered, it made me laugh and cry as cliche as it is but it really hit home with me personally, and it tugged at my heart strings. This was truly a remarkable movie, and it made me smile even more knowing that a movie about Facebook was not the only contender in the race for awards. Expand
  94. Dec 31, 2010
    First of all this film is a clinic on dramatic performance. The fact that some of the small supporting roles are filled by talent such as Guy Pearce and Michael Gambon should provide some hint in regards to the quality of this movie. Colin Firth does an extraordinary job of conveying the frustrations of George VI in regards to his family issues as well as being a key public figure who hasFirst of all this film is a clinic on dramatic performance. The fact that some of the small supporting roles are filled by talent such as Guy Pearce and Michael Gambon should provide some hint in regards to the quality of this movie. Colin Firth does an extraordinary job of conveying the frustrations of George VI in regards to his family issues as well as being a key public figure who has difficulty speaking. At this point I would be more surprised if Geoffrey Rush didn't deliver a knockout performance but he didn't steal the show the way that I expected him to. I feel that this movie validated my suspicion that Helena Bonham Carter's true acting chops have been smothered as of late by too many Tim Burton/Johnny Depp projects. Not to say that she wasn't excellent in Sweeney Todd but movies such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland didn't allow her to truly shine the way that she does in this outing. There is a lot of subtle humor throughout the film which does a great job of lightening up some of the otherwise dark moments. I feel like the movie was paced just right where other award season trophy grabbing attempts would have stretched the movie out needlessly in an attempt to feign grandiose and significance. Ultimately this movie had all of the elements for an extremely enjoyable film and I would be genuinely surprised if it didn't pick up at least a few pieces of golden hardware this year. Expand
  95. Nov 27, 2010
    Brilliant film. They all deserve Oscar nominations!
    The story is true and real.
    The costumes amazing.

Go and see it today.
    Best film of the weekend!
  96. Dec 22, 2010
    While it may not be the Oscar-perfect film they are touting it to be, it's pretty damn close. Firth and Rush are reason enough to make the film a must-see, but the added bonus of a superb supporting cast, divine sets and cinematography and the best use of swearwords I've ever seen/heart make it a classic. The closing frames of the film did take away from the experience as a whole - A veryWhile it may not be the Oscar-perfect film they are touting it to be, it's pretty damn close. Firth and Rush are reason enough to make the film a must-see, but the added bonus of a superb supporting cast, divine sets and cinematography and the best use of swearwords I've ever seen/heart make it a classic. The closing frames of the film did take away from the experience as a whole - A very intimate portrait exposed and pretending to be something it's not. Expand
  97. Jan 24, 2011
    I genuinely didn't think I would like this film but I was wrong. The connection between the two lead male actors and brilliant Helena. The film was heart warming and also very funny. It was also great to see a true story that isn't overly dramatized and takes away the realness, at times it seemed as though I was watching a intriguing documentary. Very good.
  98. Feb 6, 2011
    The movie was good. Not great. The acting from all areas was superb. I went into the movie expecting it to be Oscar-worthy, but it just fell flat for me. Everything about how the movie was made from the visuals to the acting was great, but the story was just boring. The only scenes that I felt actually had entertainment value were the speech scenes in which Geoffrey Rush was present. OtherThe movie was good. Not great. The acting from all areas was superb. I went into the movie expecting it to be Oscar-worthy, but it just fell flat for me. Everything about how the movie was made from the visuals to the acting was great, but the story was just boring. The only scenes that I felt actually had entertainment value were the speech scenes in which Geoffrey Rush was present. Other than that, most of the story felt as if it could have been told in twenty minutes, not two hours. With that being said, Colin Firth was spectacular in his role and deserves best actor. I was rooting for him to successfully nail it the entire movie, and when he finally did, it was glorious. I just wish I could have been rooting for something moderately interesting. Black Swan all the way. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2010
    One of the chief reasons that director Tom Hooper's richly produced film works so well is because it operates on so many different levels. The King's Speech is all about layers, and Hooper keeps it humming on several at once.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a fine, absorbing work, built with brilliance and without excessive showiness or flash. It feels, in fact, like a classic virtually upon its arrival.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a "keep calm, carry on" wartime melodrama of the first order, and stiff though it may be, it is never less than brilliantly done.