8.3

1. Mar 18, 2011
    You best start believing in bad movies, you're in one. A movie about a prince becoming king, a man coming to terms with his past and overcoming a personal struggle to be able to lead a country and a people at the brink of war. Should be a great movie, oscar worthy indeed. But not in this case, this movie never delivers. This is a movie you would watch on a sunday afternoon, when you're sitting on the couch and are just too lazy to change the channel. Expand
  2. Mar 12, 2011
    What impels "The King's Speech" is its facility to delineate a punctual biopic without losing its charm and charisma that shimmers, and speaks to the engrossing ardor that encapsulates internal struggle. The painstaking desire to squelch our visceral "stammers" is felt deep within; plaudits of praise is well-deserved.
  3. Mar 12, 2011
    "Truly Moving , uplifting , and completely brilliant from start to a glorious finish. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush give the best performances of there career. Immersible and stylishly clever , Kings Speech will have you interested and loving the film , by closing credits" .. A++
  4. Mar 7, 2011
    A moving and funny film is hard to get but Tom Hooper and David Seidler did a great job. The Oscar was well given and I think everyone should see this movie it's a story of bravery and friendship. I got to say that Helena Bonham Carter was really different on this movie we are used to see her in crazy roles like Red Queen in "Alice in Wonderland" or Bellatrix Lestrange in "Harry Potter". Colin Firth deserved the oscar it's a hard role to play and he was great! Expand
  5. Mar 5, 2011
    Very interesting movie to watch! Never knew much about British leadership before WWII, but this movie inspired me to find out. Interesting experience for those who want to find out some things more about World's history.
  6. Mar 3, 2011
    Truly masterful acting throughout and a well-paced script that didn't lag at any point. Capped by a moving last 10 minutes that made me teary. Lived more than up to the hype.
  7. Mar 3, 2011
    Riveting performance by Colin Firth. It's a shame people can't name more of his movies:
    If you haven't seen this yet - do yourself a favor and watch it.
  8. Feb 28, 2011
    Wow, honestly one of the best movies I have ever watched, the performances were absolutely crazy. Colin Firth has always been a great actor in my eyes, and this just proved it to the rest of the world. This movie definitely deserved the Oscar that it won, and not mention Geoffrey Rush was outstanding in this one also.
  9. Feb 24, 2011
    i dont usually dig these kind of flicks.. but i couldnt ignore the reviews .. i watched and i agree - cinema at its finest.. a drama yes, historical yes.. all the ingredients for a boring movie - yes.. but it transcends all that.. powerful story.. amazing acting, great cinematography.. I even got a little choked up at the end.
  10. Feb 22, 2011
    Possibly the best movie I have ever seen in quite awhile. I do not like sitting through English flicks and was not looking forward to watching this one. I savored every moment and was surprised when it ended. It blew me away that is for sure. I predict hands down - Colin Firth best actor - and this movie wins best for the Oscars.
  11. Feb 21, 2011
    Duke of York, has stammer & speech problems, goes to unconventional therapist, King/Father dies, Brother abdicates, made King, has to overcome disability.
    Wonderful film which is moving, warm & funny with superb performances from both Colin Firth & Geoffrey Rush.
    Authenticity & casting are spot on with good support from Helena Bonham Carter & Guy Pearce although wasn't too convinced by
    Timothy Spall's Churchill. Expand
  12. Feb 20, 2011
    Yes, Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and HBC are great, and Firth probably deserves the Oscar coming his way. However, I found this movie to be formulaic in the worst way. There's no deviating from your typical biopic machinations, and you can probably figure out what's going to happen after the first 20 minutes. Life-long friendships, a cured character, etc.
    DULL. And frankly, I liked Firth
    better in A Single Man; and if Rush beats Bale for the Oscar, that will be BS. Expand
  13. Feb 18, 2011
    There is no doubt, that one of the main reasons for this film to be so famous is because of the performances of the actors, who were, let me say, splendid. The king that cannot give a decent speech in front of his people, goes to a miraculous speech therapist that helps him get his voice to lead the nation into war. The acting isnâ
  14. Feb 17, 2011
    I just love the depth of character Colin what's his name? brings to the title roll. Yet again a film worthy of all the applauds and more .
    P.S
    I haven't seen it yet ! Don't want to spoil my image I have of Colin what's his name?.
  15. Feb 17, 2011
    Such a beautiful movie, beautiful soundtrack by Alexander Desplat and totally brilliant and touching performance by Colin Firth. Beautiful biopic about King George VI. Tom Hooper is great but I think it's not amazing movie but a beautiful movie
  16. Feb 16, 2011
    One of the best movies of the year second only to Social Network. The King's Speech is about a king overcoming his stutterâ
  17. Feb 16, 2011
    Please go to YouTube, search for The King's Speech and you'll find my review: 'The King's Speech - a stammerer's view'. I'm the non-celebrity in the bright blue shirt and, like King George VI, I stammer!
  18. Feb 14, 2011
    Very pleasant movie. Great script and storyboard. Great screenplay and scenes. Excellent acting performances from Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. It's a marvelous movie based upon actual historical facts, but in my opinion never the win the Oscar nominated for Best Movie.
  19. Feb 12, 2011
    A brilliant story that speaks in fewer words. It is a humanizing of even the highest of class. Portraying the beauty in the stiffness of English regality. And yet, the unconquerable human drive to face even the most intimidating personal insecurities. A will to conquer and a leader to truly drive a nation. Go see it. This drama has heart, not glitz, and message that needs to be remembered.
  20. Feb 12, 2011
    Well... just by giving a 10 out of 10, do I have to say more? Do I have to spell it out for you? At this point it really doesn't matter what I'm gonna say but what you've seen... this movie shows what effort can do... to be more redundant (according to this topic, of course)... this movie is shouting every possible emotion on every character, and believe me, there was no problem on talking here.
    Colin Firth, keeps surprising me with every movie he takes part in. But, talking just in this case, what an amazing performance! Shyness, bad temper, impotence, medical problems, self-concience issues, past traumas, inexperience in some cases, and that sense of great responsability (it resembles to Lion King's Simba for this kind of feeling, ''I cannot be what I am''), all these feelings gathered and mixed in a chaotic way within Colin's character, and every one of them better than the other you've just seen. Perfect, in each and every single way to say it, JUST SAY IT: PERFECT PERFORMANCE, TOTALLY CHAOTICALLY PERFECT. Colin, you've got the whole responsability with your character, and madly well done.
    Geoffrey Rush takes a lot in this movie too, I'm not forgeting him. Of course no. He keeps this chaotic mixture and tranforms it into a perfectly done puzzle of a great King image. A great performance too. Good man, good job! And of course Helena B.Carter, of course... the most believable serious character she've ever done! At first it was such a weird thing to know he was nominated for her supporting role here, because she was always as crazy (in the good way) as Tim Burton... you know what I mean. But here, unstoppable. Like a perfect royal lady must be.
    Music made by the same compositor from the last 2/3 Harry Potter movies (Alexandre Desplat) who is new at this. But he's growing, day by day. Such a good job too.
    No doubts, 12 oscars belong here... KING SIZE.
  21. Feb 11, 2011
    As everyone else has said, it's amazing. Flawless acting and settings immerse you. Beautifully done, deserving of it's 12 academy award nominations. Social Network ro King's Speech? very tough call
  22. Feb 11, 2011
    Truly a great movie. The King's Speech has never made me want to learn more about history than ever! I try to watch a variety of films and it seems that the historical/informative ones seem to pull me into the plot the most.
  23. Feb 10, 2011
    This is a powerful and deeply moving story, told against the backdrop of a critical juncture in modern history, of the emergence of a deep friendship out of a professional relationship between two men who would otherwise never have socially interacted. The screenplay, written by David Seidler (who also wrote Tucker: The Man and his Dream), is excellent.
  24. Feb 10, 2011
    Giving a public speech has always been difficult thing to do for most of people. Not everyone could deliver it well, you could simply change your job if it did not suit you, but what if you are a King and everybody waiting and expect something from you. King George VI is the father of Queen Elizabeth II. Thiz is the story about early years of his reign in 1920-1940s. For his difficulty of public speaking, to heal his stammer, he hired an Australian Speech Therapist, Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush) through some unorthodox techniques. Later, in addition to that process they bound to some manhood relationships and find greater meaning in life. The movie directed by Tom Hooper who is known for a movie about the famous Football Club, Leeds United in THE DAMNED UNITED (2009). In thiz film, he used many unusual styles. The cinematography is interesting, in one moment he putting the face of the characters precise in middle of the screen, leaving significant unusual distance. In another moment, he puts the object precisely in the lower left of the screen. Most of the time, everything looks even different, he provides three dimensional view with his concave perspective. It is eccentric but works quite well. Those techniques emphasize the honesty and integrity through its story-telling. But the element that makes thiz movie works really well, it is Colin Firth who is transforming his body and soul to be Duke of York or better known as King George VI. I can feel his effort and weakness clearly in his complex character. No doubt is one of Firth best performances of all-time. The other great role that deserves to be mentioned is Helena Bonham Carter as his wife, Queen Elizabeth. Thiz is one of the rare times I find that she could be so normal, after her previous roles that were mostly gothic. Guy Pearce is quite convincing too as his older brother who was forced to abdicate, Edward VIII. The small but interesting role also comes from Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill. Last time, the Director Tom Hooper lifted incredible story about football, he did not get much attention although it was a great movie as well. Now with the same quality of work, plus extraordinary performance from Colin Firth, he surely will get more attention than before. That is the difference when you take the story between football and real monarchy. It needs a great speech to be a great leader, but it needs a great Heart to be a great King.

Visit My Blog on JONNYâ
  25. Feb 10, 2011
    Oh, come on. A movie without action doesn't mean it's bad. The script is very well written, the cast act so well both together and independently and they managed to pull of such a weird sounding plot very well. Why a 9? I know it's based on true events, but they could've gone into more detail with the ending. I never got bored once in this movie, and that is really saying something.
  26. Feb 7, 2011
    Absolutely wonderful. Brilliant acting all around and brilliant directing. It is so nice to see a movie that doesn't have bloodshed, special effects all over the place, gratuitous sex, just a great story and great acting.
  27. Feb 6, 2011
    The movie was good. Not great. The acting from all areas was superb. I went into the movie expecting it to be Oscar-worthy, but it just fell flat for me. Everything about how the movie was made from the visuals to the acting was great, but the story was just boring. The only scenes that I felt actually had entertainment value were the speech scenes in which Geoffrey Rush was present. Other than that, most of the story felt as if it could have been told in twenty minutes, not two hours. With that being said, Colin Firth was spectacular in his role and deserves best actor. I was rooting for him to successfully nail it the entire movie, and when he finally did, it was glorious. I just wish I could have been rooting for something moderately interesting. Black Swan all the way. Expand
  28. Feb 6, 2011
    Not often do you see a movie without action, sex, or violence and sit glued to your chair hanging on every word. And quite honestly, this is what The King's Speech delivers. The dialogue will leave you speechless. The ensemble cast of great actor's takes you to that special place. If this movie doesn't win the OSCAR in just about every major category there is no justice in Hollywood. Don't walk, rather run, to see this cinematography genius. Expand
  29. Feb 4, 2011
    I liked this film a lot. Colin Firth and Jeffrey Rush are both outstanding in The King's Speech. I was cringing every time Bertie went to speak. He had me stopped in my tracks. A good movie as well. Although, I was slightly disappointed with it. I had read such great things about the movie, and it was good, but I felt it was not best picture worthy. I think the acting carries the film, but the film itself is not astonishing. I think it runs around an 80 or 90. The cinematography was bland, scenarios short-lived, and the dialogue was too polished. I wish I could have seen more Jeffrey Rush as well. Expand
  30. Feb 4, 2011
    Virtually impeccable and incredibly engaging. I arrived 20 minutes late and had terrible seats right under the screen but I was still completely enthralled by the plot. All the acting was superbly subtle and deep (except maybe Helena Bonham Carter, whose character I never really 'got') and despite the fact I knew what was going to happen I was sitting on the edge of my seat with my heart in my mouth as he walked through Buckingham Palace towards the radio microphone at the end. The whole thing was constructed perfectly and I hope it wins all the Oscars its nominated for - it truly deserves them, more than any film I've seen in years. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2010
    One of the chief reasons that director Tom Hooper's richly produced film works so well is because it operates on so many different levels. The King's Speech is all about layers, and Hooper keeps it humming on several at once.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a fine, absorbing work, built with brilliance and without excessive showiness or flash. It feels, in fact, like a classic virtually upon its arrival.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a "keep calm, carry on" wartime melodrama of the first order, and stiff though it may be, it is never less than brilliantly done.