6.6

1. Jun 12, 2012
    The 1991 Nobel Peace Prize laureate, Aung San Suu Kyi, is played wonderfully by Michelle Yeoh. I knew little about this famous person as I suspect many also didnâ
  2. Apr 24, 2012
    I thought I was going to see "Iron Lady" but was glad this was the film. I agree with all of the criticisms but since the timing was so relevant to the recent news, I learned a lot I did not known about the situation from an historical standpoint. Yes, it would have been better if they had not concentrated as much on her family relationship and more on the political dynamics. Still, my knowledge is so much greater than when I went in. Expand
  3. Apr 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. This is a vivid and devastatingly heart breaking detail of Aung San Suu Kyi's years in captivity. A lot of critics attack it for not being a Luc Besson action film or more political when I think the Shakespearian conflict of family v country, of having to be away from her husband in his final hours has always intrigued me. If they reviewed the movie they saw and not the one in their head, I suspect it would have scored higher. I did not notice how long the film was.

One reviewer criticized the Nobel Prize scene which had her very intimate attempt to communicate with music and participate in her isolation.
  4. Apr 16, 2012
    It's rather looks like Luc Besson's action movie than Oscar biopic.The Lady suffers uneven pacing and surounded by terrible supporting third class act, but The Lady offers humanity message through Aung San Suu Kyi; her sacrifice, her suffering, her struggle, and also her passion to husband, children and country. i was cry over the movie, so touching by heart-warming two its lead performance. Damn critics! Don't make them hold your step to near multiplex. Watch this film and open your mind and heart. Expand
  5. Apr 16, 2012
    What? If I don't have a bad memory, I remember that this movie be launched the last year, and what happen? was delayed, and I think: I can watch the movie, but after have other delay, and finally when we can watch the product, I can say that the movie is regular. The story is good, but have a bad development, in some parts is boring, in other interesting, but the biggest part of the movie is boring. The cast have regular performances, and is not good. I think that the movie cause all this things, after the delays, watching this, sorry but The Lady is regular. Expand
  6. Feb 18, 2012
    This is a complete success: Luc Besson, you learned to Burma by a deeply humanistic and political history in question. Then, the two main actors (Michelle Yeoh and David Thewlis) play their roles well and make you feel his passion in private life and his struggle for democracy and peace in society.

There are some similarities with another masterpiece of Besson's "Leon: The Professional":
    both are in fear of "courage and love." Aung San Suu Kyi, as Leo is a hero of the struggle against tyranny and only organized power corrupt. If the Lion effort to protect the innocent young Mathilde felt sympathy for this guy, no doubt, you can admire this courageous woman comforted her and her family to defend the entire nation of the dictatorship of the military regime.

My wife and I enjoyed the film. Paris theater was almost full at the end gives the impression that the spectators were satisfied A row in front of us was an elderly couple, the old man asked. "? Dear you wish, for the second time," Ms replied, "Sure, can you come and see it a third time?"
    watch here
    momomesh.ch
  7. Jan 8, 2012
    There's something immobile at the center of The Lady, a kind of Botoxed biopic with an unlikely director - Luc Besson - manning the syringe. A bad, bad film.
  8. Jan 8, 2012
    This handsomely mounted picture is, at nearly 2 1/2 hours, far too long and indigestible for a film whose protagonist spends most of her screen time under house arrest.
  9. Jan 8, 2012
    Just awful. Really hard to watch. Terribly done film. What a waste of money and time. Can't believe I sat through this film. I pity anyone who does.

1. Reviewed by: Liam Lacey
    Apr 26, 2012
    Contrast this to "The Iron Lady," a film which managed to be both obnoxiously condescending and flattering to the divisive British leader Margaret Thatcher, and left those of all political stripes irritated. The Lady, devoid of either iron or irony, is merely forgettable, a much deeper insult to its subject.
  2. Reviewed by: Adam Bernstein
    Apr 19, 2012
    In the final scene, the filmmakers nearly succeed in turning Suu Kyi into an Asian Eva Peron, down to the outspread arms, tossing an orchid to her worshippers.
  3. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Apr 18, 2012
    The Lady is more professional but, for me, "They Call It Myanmar" is more useful. Lieberman answers questions that Besson does not think to ask.