The Last House on the Left

6.1

1. JayH
    Aug 13, 2009
    Far more graphic than was necessary, but it's a compelling story and the acting is better than average. The pacing is relentlessly quick. Very suspenseful, good score. It is unlikely to bore the viewer.
  2. TaylorA
    Sep 6, 2009
    I think the story line was great. But, the way they went about the whole thing was wrong. It started off slow and the rape scene was just horrible. Couldn't they have made it obvious she was being raped without being so graphic about it. I do have to say I got more into it after Mari showed up on the porch though.
  3. RyanS
    Aug 18, 2009
    I guess this film was supposed to be shocking. It wasn't. It was another uninspired Hollywood remake of an old horror movie. It's so maddeningly bland, so predictable, that watching it was almost a chore.
  4. Jun 12, 2011
    This movie was kind of out of left field to me. As somebody who never saw the original I was excepting this to be like "The Strangers" with Liv Tyler. This movie was nothing like that though. This movie is very in your face with a lot of horrible imagery. Everything from a girl being stabbed in the stomach to an outright rape. The movie does a great job of building the characters and theThis movie was kind of out of left field to me. As somebody who never saw the original I was excepting this to be like "The Strangers" with Liv Tyler. This movie was nothing like that though. This movie is very in your face with a lot of horrible imagery. Everything from a girl being stabbed in the stomach to an outright rape. The movie does a great job of building the characters and the acting is solid with the exception of Paige (Martha McIsaac) and Sadie (Riki Lindhome). The thing that actually bothered me the most was the very last scene. The move had a very solid ending and it fades to black only to come back on a microwave and the villain. I'm not here to spoil it to you but it was one of the only useless moments that was only in the movie to pad running time and add gore. Overall this movie is pretty solid and well worth a watch. Expand
  5. Aug 25, 2012
    This film surprised me in the fact that I wasn't bored by it. Still it wasn't the best thriller/horror remake I have ever seen but it is no where near the bottom either. The tension built through the film really well.
  6. Nov 16, 2014
    Last House on the Left: 5 out of 10: Close but no cigar. Honestly anyone who remembers 1972’s shocking version of the Virgin Spring had to know this remake would pull back the reigns. It would be like a remake of “I Spit on your Grave”... just not likely in these conservative and commercial times. Well at least they did not make it PG-13.

They screw up they remake early with two

They screw up they remake early with two changes. The bad guys are bad guys from the start. There is no connection with the audience. No sense that they are travelling down a path as well; they do not connect with the audience as the hippies of the first film did. There is no sense that they are exploring there boundaries or challenging themselves. They start fully formed as black hats.

The second mistake is moving the story out of a regular middle class neighborhood and into a millionaires’ nature retreat. There is something shocking about violence among the shag carpeting and wood paneling of suburbia (The original movie was from 1972 after all) that is lost with the large Architectural Digest house perfectly clean and decorated. (Though with the filmiest wooden furniture this side of a thirties Western).

The rape is much less graphic than the original and the sense of sadism and intimacy of the first film is lost. On the plus side, Tony Goldwyn and Monica Potter give great performances as the parents and the revenge scenes are not completely without a sense of fun.

If this film was called something else, I might have gone easier on it. As a Last House on the Left film, it is a glossy shadow of its predecessor.

1. Reviewed by: Nick Pinkerton
    This new House tries to sustain a grave, heavy sense of threat. It fails, through its villainy.
  2. This remake is merely vile (and dull).
    The wheels fall off toward the end but, until that point, Illiadis does an excellent job of generating and maintaining an intense sense of dread.