8.1

1. EverrettU
    May 30, 2009
    Highly rewarding drama with terrific performances.
  2. HaseebQ
    Jul 24, 2008
    An awesome movie, and a true epic. Defintely one to see again, and very informative also. Forest Whitaker is an amazing actor in this movie. 10/10 without a doubt.
  3. elab
    Oct 24, 2008
    The un-until-now-highly-underrated Forrest Whitaker is brilliant in this. As Amin manages to swing from charming and almost jovial to a cold, heartless dictator. Idi Amin is rather underrespresented as far as evil dictators go but this was an unforgettable film. McAvoy makes us care about a rather selfish, materialistic young character. Even if you are unfamiliar with the situation in 70s The un-until-now-highly-underrated Forrest Whitaker is brilliant in this. As Amin manages to swing from charming and almost jovial to a cold, heartless dictator. Idi Amin is rather underrespresented as far as evil dictators go but this was an unforgettable film. McAvoy makes us care about a rather selfish, materialistic young character. Even if you are unfamiliar with the situation in 70s Uganda this will be a film which stays with you for a long time. Now for a bit of a whinge. I wish people wouldn't suggest it's not a good film because it's told from a white man's point of view, it was Forrest Whitaker who won the Oscar and BAFTA not James McAvoy (although I think he deserved the Best Supporting Actor BAFTA). I do feel the need to point out also that the Last King of Scotland is rated 15, but if you have kids around 15 I wouldn't let them watch it if I were you, there are images of a graphic mutliation and a torture scene. Expand
  4. LizS
    May 2, 2009
    I think this was a great movie,,, whether it be fact or fiction, it does depict the horror of indi amin's reighn of terror!!
  5. NielMcDream
    Sep 27, 2006
    Forest Whitaker, uncorking the power that he usually holds in check, gives a chilling, bravura performance as Ugandan tyrant Idi Amin, whose bloody regime slaughtered more than 300,000 people. This intelligent, sometimes gruesome thriller is based on a novel by Giles Foden. The film is phenomenally well directed by Kevin Macdonald and edited by Justine Wright to bring out every bit of Forest Whitaker, uncorking the power that he usually holds in check, gives a chilling, bravura performance as Ugandan tyrant Idi Amin, whose bloody regime slaughtered more than 300,000 people. This intelligent, sometimes gruesome thriller is based on a novel by Giles Foden. The film is phenomenally well directed by Kevin Macdonald and edited by Justine Wright to bring out every bit of scary volatility in the most casual interactions. Expand
    Sep 27, 2006
    Drawing on a documentary visual style he deftly employed in "One Day in September" and "Touching the Void," director Kevin Macdonald uses McAvoy's boyishness to treat Garrigan's apolitical foolishness as yet another damn mess in one African country's hell. The Last King of Scotland is a parable shocking in its truth, jolting in its lack of sentimentality, Shakespearean in Drawing on a documentary visual style he deftly employed in "One Day in September" and "Touching the Void," director Kevin Macdonald uses McAvoy's boyishness to treat Garrigan's apolitical foolishness as yet another damn mess in one African country's hell. The Last King of Scotland is a parable shocking in its truth, jolting in its lack of sentimentality, Shakespearean in its vision of the doctor's catastrophic flaw. Possibly one of the best movies of the last 10 years. A unforgettable Oscar performance. Expand
  7. BlancoA.
    Sep 29, 2006
    An outstanding film in every respect. Coming out of this film tonight, I can't think of anyone playing the role of Amin except maybe Yaphet Kotto, but he's probably a little too old for the role. Unbelievable color in this film. It seduces you like the doctor is seduced by the situation, and it horrifies you in a similar way. I haven't had a visceral reaction to a film in An outstanding film in every respect. Coming out of this film tonight, I can't think of anyone playing the role of Amin except maybe Yaphet Kotto, but he's probably a little too old for the role. Unbelievable color in this film. It seduces you like the doctor is seduced by the situation, and it horrifies you in a similar way. I haven't had a visceral reaction to a film in quite the same way in a LONG time. Tremendous acting. A film which can't be ignored come Oscar time. On second thought. Screw the Oscars. The Academy couldn't tell acting talent from a hole in the wall. Just see the film. Expand
  8. JoeT.
    Oct 1, 2006
    Amazing. Every single performance is superb; Forest Whitaker is electrifying. Tautly directed and edited, and the visuals are gorgeous. A harrowing experience.
  9. NinaK.
    Oct 3, 2006
    Amazing film.
  10. SusanG
    Oct 4, 2006
    Wonderful performance by Forest....really keeps you on the edge of your seat.
  11. KadyC
    Oct 12, 2006
    Forget the hype of box office hits. If you want to see superb acting, from a true actor, who takes his role seriously and makes you feel like you are not watching a movie, but a re-enactment; go see Last King of Scotland. This film is for grown folks, who understand the issues and stereotypes surrounding, race, power, politics, and economics. See a good movie this year, I implore you, you Forget the hype of box office hits. If you want to see superb acting, from a true actor, who takes his role seriously and makes you feel like you are not watching a movie, but a re-enactment; go see Last King of Scotland. This film is for grown folks, who understand the issues and stereotypes surrounding, race, power, politics, and economics. See a good movie this year, I implore you, you will not leave the theatre untouched, can guarantee it. Expand
  12. RichC
    Oct 21, 2006
    Ya gotta LOVE the chilling performance by Whittaker!
  13. StuartS.
    Oct 21, 2006
    Whitaker will be nominated for an Acadamy Award for an incredible portrayal of Edi Amin. A lot of history you might not be totally familiar with and you will enjoy learning about. Not to be seen by those who are squeamish.
  14. Filmfan
    Nov 3, 2006
    Forest Whitaker is amazing, so too James McAvoy. The movie is very involving and unsettling. My only complaint is a few action scenes and graphic shots which I thought unneccesary- the threat and the violence implied through the acting was enough. Nice cinematography.
  15. MikeD
    Nov 6, 2006
    How anyone can give this movie less than an 8 is beyond me. It's gripping and compelling. Forest Whitaker is amazing. It's ashame that cinema like this does not get more exposure in the United States. A true work of art. Go see it period.
  16. RaulL.
    Dec 23, 2006
    Forest Whitaker deserves an oscar for best actor. This movie will leave you at the edge of your seat. the story, the cinematography, the performances, it is a masterpiece. The best movie of the year, no doubt.
  17. BenA.
    Jan 16, 2007
    Beautifully shot, utterly gripping. Forest Whitaker gives an outstanding performance as the psychotic Amin.
  18. HawaU.
    Jan 20, 2007
    A very captivating movie. One of the best I have seen in a long time. Forrest deserves an Oscar.
  19. LizV.
    Jan 21, 2007
    Forest Whitaker was amazing, but McAvoy's perfomance is outstanding as well. A lesser actor would have easily been eaten up by Whitaker's performance. McAvoy's Nicholas stands toe to toe with Whitaker's Amin which makes for a riveting story. I highly recommend this movie. I thought it was excellent!
  20. SamC.
    Jan 21, 2007
    If not the best preformence by a male actor of all time, close to it. I have never seen an actor invest more in a role or capture the real internal motivations of his character. Brilliant!
  21. ChadS.
    Jan 21, 2007
    For me, the most intriguing aspect of "The Last King of Scotland" is the tantalizing possibility that Leni Riefenstahl was telling the truth. Even though "Triumph of the Will" implicates her as a Nazi sympathizer by what's judiciously omitted from the crowd-inciting speeches; Nicholas(James McAvoy) amazingly has no idea about the Ugandian holocaust. "The Last King of Scotland" has an For me, the most intriguing aspect of "The Last King of Scotland" is the tantalizing possibility that Leni Riefenstahl was telling the truth. Even though "Triumph of the Will" implicates her as a Nazi sympathizer by what's judiciously omitted from the crowd-inciting speeches; Nicholas(James McAvoy) amazingly has no idea about the Ugandian holocaust. "The Last King of Scotland" has an ingenious way of treating McAvoy's relationship with Idi Amin as a pleasant nostalgic trip, because the young doctor was indeed enamored with the vicious, but charismatic dictator. If this adaptation is accurate, the real-life McAvoy must be plagued with some residual affection for Amin. Forrest Whitaker does an awesome job of being genuinely congenial without any undercurrent of menace; to do so would make a contemporary audience wonder why the world wasn't onto Amin's act a lot sooner. This is a powerful, and very smartly photographed film. Expand
  22. MarcD.
    Feb 1, 2007
    Whitaker's performance is simply breathtaking. He doesn't just steal the show...he inhabits the screen and makes every second of his presence felt in a manner which can only be compared to the most powerful of film personas. What makes it all the more amazing is the fact that McAvoy almost matches him shot for shot. Almost...not quite though.
  23. MichaelJ.
    Feb 3, 2007
    Forest Whitaker shows us the performance of a lifetime. He frightenly represents Idi Amin in a way never shown before, his ellegance enlightened, his personality drawn out in its own beauty, and a leader represented well. James McAvoy also brings us a great performance, he is drawn into a power he never asked for and his relationship to Whitaker is that of no other. While this movie is Forest Whitaker shows us the performance of a lifetime. He frightenly represents Idi Amin in a way never shown before, his ellegance enlightened, his personality drawn out in its own beauty, and a leader represented well. James McAvoy also brings us a great performance, he is drawn into a power he never asked for and his relationship to Whitaker is that of no other. While this movie is based off facts, it still does not represent history as it could; this is Hollywood so it should be suspected. Expand
  24. RaphaelM.
    Feb 13, 2007
    Stunning performances, extremely well shot and great music, for a full tension film that will get you pinned to your seat. Awesome!
  25. RalphM.
    Mar 10, 2007
    I recommend this movie in a Double feature with Amazing Grace as a study of the paths that two different lives can take. This is the best movie I have seen in a very long time.
  26. RD.
    Mar 22, 2007
    very unsettling movie mainly due to the excellent and chilling performance of idi amin as the brutal ugandan dictator. He is so good that you forget that this is a movie. It is almost as if youa re watching a documentary about Idi Amin shot with archive footage of Idi Amin.
  27. JayW.
    Apr 2, 2007
    Strong (maybe too strong for some), but excellent film. While the characters may be a blend of many acutal people, the truth of the ruthlessness of Amin is not hyped or diminished. He was, as most dictators are, a horrible person who was very willing to kill to silence his detractors. When will we see a movie like this about Castro, Sadam, or Che Guevara?!
  28. TiffanyM.
    May 11, 2007
    This movie far surpassed what I thought it would be. I came across it on HBO, after not hearing much about it, and settled in to fall asleep. NO SLEEPING HERE. Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy were great! There was loads of drama- sexual scandals, abuse, mass killings, love, COMEDY... it was great. No wonder Ol' Forest took home the Oscar!
  29. PnArdyPnArdy
    May 13, 2007
    A masterpiece portraying the dictator Amin's character and his cruel and barbaric regime in Uganda, Africa. Forest Whitaker was incredibly good in this drama and got Oscar.
  30. MarkG.
    May 18, 2007
    Forest and McAvoy both give stellar preformances in a brutal and real piece of film. True the film was subjected to some criticism, with all the praise focusing on Forest's brilliant interpretation of the infamous dictator but why did it take until now to recognise his brilliance?? People jumping on the bandwagon this year after ignoring Forest's splendid acting in Bird and Forest and McAvoy both give stellar preformances in a brutal and real piece of film. True the film was subjected to some criticism, with all the praise focusing on Forest's brilliant interpretation of the infamous dictator but why did it take until now to recognise his brilliance?? People jumping on the bandwagon this year after ignoring Forest's splendid acting in Bird and Ghost Dog should try in future to recognise an actor's potential long before the critics stir up a whirlwind about a recent performance. The film contains some brilliantly worked scenes and the way the angles constantly vary allow us to look at the life of Idi Amin as both an insider and an outside observer. McAvoy does a fine job of portraying a difficult character but it is Whitaker's hypnotic screen presence as he shows us his ferocity and helplessness simultaneously, that makes the film masterful. Expand
  31. PatC.
    May 21, 2007
    This is an unvarnished study of a naive empty vessel of a young man without direction. Fresh out of medical school, he knows only that he doesn't want to live under his father's direction. As a result he finds himself living under the direction of the catastrophically insane. The movie stumbles tentatively from scene to scene, but Whitaker sells it anyway. In the end it will This is an unvarnished study of a naive empty vessel of a young man without direction. Fresh out of medical school, he knows only that he doesn't want to live under his father's direction. As a result he finds himself living under the direction of the catastrophically insane. The movie stumbles tentatively from scene to scene, but Whitaker sells it anyway. In the end it will stay with you. Quite an achievement really. Expand
  32. GregE.
    Jun 24, 2007
    This movie blew me away. This a true story, and it really struck a chord with me how this one no-name doctor becomes involved in such an involved scene 10/10 This movie is one of the best of all time
  33. Nov 28, 2012
    "The Last King Of Scotland" is the mostly true story of Nicholas Garrigan (McAvoy), a young Scottish physician who travels to Uganda and eventually becomes the personal doctor to the dictator, Idi Amin (Whitaker). Directed by Kevin MacDonald, this movie certainly struck a few dissonant chords with me. I'm not saying the film was bad, in fact I found it "The Last King Of Scotland" to be a"The Last King Of Scotland" is the mostly true story of Nicholas Garrigan (McAvoy), a young Scottish physician who travels to Uganda and eventually becomes the personal doctor to the dictator, Idi Amin (Whitaker). Directed by Kevin MacDonald, this movie certainly struck a few dissonant chords with me. I'm not saying the film was bad, in fact I found it "The Last King Of Scotland" to be a very remarkable motion picture. However, it is a deeply disturbing piece that aims to show the audience just how deranged Idi Amin was as Uganda's President. Which brings me to the film's most noteworthy aspect - Forest Whitaker's amazing, Academy-Award Winning turn as Idi Amin himself. Forest Whitaker's performance in "The Last King Of Scotland" is incredibly dynamic because at times I found myself laughing, gasping, and cringing in anger at some of the things that Whitaker did on screen. Some of the stuff that Whitaker's Amin does in this movie is truly frightening and really made me realize just how much of a megalomaniacal sociopath Amin was in real life. In fact there is one moment in this movie (one that I won't fully disclose due to it's grisliness) where I found myself just gaping at my television set - yeah stuff gets pretty grotesque. Obviously, Whitaker rightfully earned the Oscar For Best Actor in 2007. As for James McAvoy, he did a great job in his role as the doctor who just can't seem to escape the madness of Idi Amin, and throughout the movie you really learn to feel for his character. The script, of course, was brilliantly written, as it was adapted from the reportedly excellent Giles Foden novel of the same name. In terms of cinematography, I thought that the film's use of close-up shots on Amin really helped to accentuate his sheer madness and insanity. As for the rest of the camera work everything looks clean and efficient. All in all, I found "The Last King Of Scotland" to be a very remarkable, and disconcerting film that effectively used it's brilliant performances and impressive script to highlight the sheer terror that Idi Amin inflicted upon Uganda and it's people. Expand
  34. Jun 14, 2013
    The last king of Scotland is scorcher of a film that follows the story of the horrid dictatorship that took over Uganda in the 70s. The movie is seen completely through the eyes of young Nicolas Garrigan James Mcavoy), a young Scottish doctor who decides he is tired of Scotland and ready to venture into another country to make a difference.

Soon after he begins his work in the town he

Soon after he begins his work in the town he begins a friendship with Idi Amin (Forest Whitaker), a powerful African leader who offers Garrigan a job as his personal doctor. Their developing relationship is wonderful to behold on screen, and for me was the main strength and the key point that made this movie go above and beyond.

1. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    Whitaker's Amin is the kind of raging lunatic that only an actor who has made a specialty of quiet caginess could pull off so convincingly. It's great, and scary, to see Whitaker turn it up to 11 for once.
  2. Reviewed by: Howie Movshovitz
    An imaginative and original picture turns conventional as it ends.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    In the end, The Last King of Scotland is much better when it plays it cool and amusing than when it tries to ramp up outrage and indignation.