8.7

1. Apr 25, 2013
    The Legend of 1900 is one of the cleverest comedies ever filmed. Director Giuseppe Tornatore manages to get the viewer to believe they are watching a serious movie about a boy who grows up (secretly) on an ocean liner. The boy becomes a man (still living on the ship but keeping a low profile). But he becomes not just any man; he emerges as a piano virtuoso the likes of which the ocean blueThe Legend of 1900 is one of the cleverest comedies ever filmed. Director Giuseppe Tornatore manages to get the viewer to believe they are watching a serious movie about a boy who grows up (secretly) on an ocean liner. The boy becomes a man (still living on the ship but keeping a low profile). But he becomes not just any man; he emerges as a piano virtuoso the likes of which the ocean blue has never seen.

One particularly chortle-worthy scene depicts Tim Roth's character (the titular 1900 (HA HA HA)) lighting a cigarette off of the "hot" piano strings after his jazz duel with Jelly Roll Morton. HA HA HA HA, HO HO HO... whew! Oh, that is priceless.

The over-the-top script is delivered with hilarious high-school histrionics by a cast that includes the usually serious Pruitt Taylor Vince and Clarence (Linc) Williams III.

Hold on a second. This just in. I've been advised that this is indeed NOT a comedy. Really? Well then, I must remind myself to never watch anything with "Legend(s) of" in the title (e.g. Legend of Bagger Vance, Legends of the Fall, Legend of Zorro, Legend of 1900). I thought those were all comedies.
  2. May 3, 2013
    Superb original soundtrack,amazing story and beautiful atmosphere! This movie is really one of the few movies that my friends recommended to me and i liked it a lot! I would recommend it to everyone...but if you're a musician or you're a music lover you should watch this masterpiece without no doubt! My final score for "The Legend of 1900" is 8/10

It's a wonderful reminder of the importance of music in the movies.
    An enchanting, staggeringly beautiful epic at sea, is poetry in motion.
  3. Tantalizingly structured to intrigue us right from the start.