8.2

1. Jan 19, 2015
    This movie consists on one pop culture reference after another. Not clever, amusing pop culture references like in Toy Story, just boring dialogue that references other movies.

Excellent animation of course, all those millions pretty much guarantees that.

Movies like this make me realize why I rarely watch Hollywood movies anymore. All glitz and no substance.
  2. Apr 18, 2014
    This film is good enough for mixing kid/adult themes, but pretty overrated otherwise. Will we be watching this 10 years from now and getting as excited as we are now? Doubtful.
  3. Jul 29, 2014
    If I;m gonna be honest, this movie was a little overrated. Yes, it was funny, yes, it was cute, yes, it was okay for the whole family, but overall, it just lacked the greatness I was expecting from the critics and the other uses.
  4. Oct 20, 2014
    The Lego Movie starts at maximum intensity and never goes down from there. It's full of fast action, punch lines and stereotypes. I never got a chance to breathe and take it all in. I was dissappointed at the poor pacing. But everything is Lego, so the visuals and effects are cool.
  5. May 4, 2014
    The movie isn't bad or good, but if you're a fan of LEGO, or a kid, there is a big chance you'll like it. The story is ok-ish, but I feel it's too deus ex machina in resolving problems, and too few really innovative elements and things shown. Also I feel that the movie is abruptly either too positive or too negative, and only a Sith deals in absolutes. :<
  6. Jun 17, 2014
    this film has nice animation but has way to many fast paced scenes and the live action part is confusing I recommend renting it not buying it did any of you know about the minecraft movie coming out in 2017
  7. Feb 11, 2014
    I really wanted to love this movie... really. Ultimately, however, I walked away with a headache and feeling significantly let down. I do not understand all of the outstanding reviews and praise the movie is receiving either, to be completely honest.

The visual effects, story, and voice acting in The Lego Movie are all superb! I will definitely give it that. Where the movie falls short though is in its execution - tedious and somewhat recycled scenes, humor reminiscent of Nick Jr. television shows, and a far too lengthy running screen time. There was maybe about 10 times throughout the film that I did get a hearty laugh in, but for the most part, I found myself trying, more than one should in a movie, to truly enjoy what I was watching.

If you have children, your experience might be different. Even if you don't, I believe the only way you'll know if you like it is to experience it yourself - it obviously, based on the wide praise, has been enjoyed by a great amount of people! As for me, this is one I can't quite manage to recommend, which is a shame. I truly hope your experience of The Lego Movie is better! Collapse
  8. Mar 1, 2014
    Just saw the movie with a few friends, and I'd have to say...it was exactly as I thought it would be. For the most part. I didn't have any real expectations going into it. I mean, it was called the LEGO movie, so interesting could it actually be? It was...unique, I'll give it that.

You know how most movies throw in the occasional pop culture reference? Something witty, something that will be a little more memorable than other parts of said movie? The LEGO movie was built upon those. I mean, they were EVERYWHERE. Cat posters, Batman's attitude, Good/Bad cop (they weren't even trying to be subtle with this one).

And the cliches. For crying out loud, could a movie about creativity do something original? 'Strong' female protagonist that needs a man, no one dies at the end, every single subplot resolves itself, hero goes on journey and discovers self, I mean, come on! I was actually happy when I thought that Emmett died, and would become a martyr or something but NOPE!!! Spoiler, not really, he lives! You know why this wasn't tagged as a spoiler? Because there was no way that he could die. The movie's cliches made him immortal.

Story-wise, it sucked. There was no story. Well, nothing that wasn't covered by the cliches at least. I guess one could say it was satire, but you know what? Satire really doesn't make up for no interesting plot whatsoever.

Now, for the 'positive' part. The animation style was great. It fit the Lego theme really well, and I wouldn't mind seeing that in other movies. The voice talent did a good job, and you know what? They occasionally did a clever thing during an action sequence. This all would merit it a 5.

Unfortunately, the 5 was downgraded to a 4, for the terrible ending. Not going to spoil it, but...really? REALLY?
  9. Mar 2, 2014
    lego movie is the 100 % wrost film 89 % good film the begging and middle was terrible . the wrost animated films i ever seen . i think children are sugar rushed to like this film
  10. May 27, 2015
    A fairly lukewarm film, with a very slow and dull second half and a fairly amusing second half. The second half is good but not worth the slog that is the first half in my opinion. No on my rewatch list.
  11. Feb 9, 2014
    After seeing some really good reviews I decided to take my five-year old son to see this in 3D. I'm sorry but I have to say it - it's boring. When the action gets moving then it's interesting and gripping. There's too much talking, though. In a film like, say, Madagascar even when there's talking there is something interesting and funny happening in the background. In this, there's justAfter seeing some really good reviews I decided to take my five-year old son to see this in 3D. I'm sorry but I have to say it - it's boring. When the action gets moving then it's interesting and gripping. There's too much talking, though. In a film like, say, Madagascar even when there's talking there is something interesting and funny happening in the background. In this, there's just talking. I can understand why there needs to be a storyline and backdrop to the characters. Considering this is meant to be a kids movie, though, it slows down the film too much. My son complained repeatedly about being bored and wanting to leave. I had to convince him to stay in his seat until the next section where something actually happened.

On the flip side, there is some very clever animation with highly imaginative use of Lego and gives a huge nod to the designers of Lego. The 3D was cleverly done and didn't seem forced.

In all, a good film but possibly not for very young children as there are too many slow scenes to keep their interest.
  12. Feb 21, 2014
    I enjoyed the film but not nearly as much as a lot of the critics. I would recommend this film for families, but I do believe some of the jokes fall flat. B
  13. Jul 20, 2014
    Very overrated. For what it was it was fine, but there were many flaws. The story and most of the characters were not interesting. The animation hurt my eyes. It was funny however, which helped this movie a lot.
  14. Mar 4, 2014
    The film was enjoyable and if your into animation family films there is no reason not to see this. Being a child from the eighties it does feel a bit like one long LEGO commercial but it has enough cuteness, symbolism, pop referencing and famous actors to pass it through to a more movie status. The ending reached some level of meaning but i felt it was a bit fast and forced to seem genuineThe film was enjoyable and if your into animation family films there is no reason not to see this. Being a child from the eighties it does feel a bit like one long LEGO commercial but it has enough cuteness, symbolism, pop referencing and famous actors to pass it through to a more movie status. The ending reached some level of meaning but i felt it was a bit fast and forced to seem genuine but hey this is a kids family film so all up its a pass. DEf not the movie of the year though ! Expand
  15. Jun 26, 2014
    As visually exciting as it is, it becomes bogged down in cliche and plods on until its terrible finale, which really ruins it. Some good gags and plenty of cameos are enough to make it worthwhile, though kids in the cinema were as bored as I after thirty minutes. It's good but does not deserve all the hoopla.
  16. Feb 21, 2014
    Okay, Where to start. The Lego Movie did not live up to my expectations. I expected a perfect 10 from this movie. I don't think I'll ever live up to expectations ever again. This film took my expectations, and crushed it into a billion pieces. There were no big laughs. I only chuckled a few times. I expected HUGE laughs. But no. The film'ms animation was great. Except for the fact that theOkay, Where to start. The Lego Movie did not live up to my expectations. I expected a perfect 10 from this movie. I don't think I'll ever live up to expectations ever again. This film took my expectations, and crushed it into a billion pieces. There were no big laughs. I only chuckled a few times. I expected HUGE laughs. But no. The film'ms animation was great. Except for the fact that the characters look like they're lagging a bit. The main problem for me with this film is I didn't feel very comfortable with it. What I mean is that the film didn't feel like a great film. Sure the animation was good, the humor was smart and the ending was semi-genius, but something about this film doesn't put it in my best movies of all time list. Plus the song in the beginning of the film was annoying for me. Okay, Lets talk about the ending. Don't worry, I won't spoil anything. Like I said earlier, The ending was semi-genius. By that I mean it's smart, but anyone could come up with that ending. And the moral of the film might be difficult for younger kids to understand. The two best characters were Emmet and Benny. Wyldstyle was cool and I liked Green Lantern too, but the rest of the characters were "Just Okay." The film didn't impress me but I would recommend you to see it. Expand
  17. Nov 24, 2014
    The LEGO Movie is a disappointment. It is a comedy-family film, but it don't have that extensive amount of humor that I expected to see.

Well, I got to admit that I was a bit disappointed when the movie ended. It’s not as fun or exiting as I thought it would be. Sure there are some hilarious scenes and the jokes are great, but it’s not enough. The LEGO Movie is in fact highly overrated. I imagined it very funny and exiting while seeing the trailer, but it’s not as great as it might appear. On the other hand are there a lot excitement and action that I totally enjoyed to see, and seeing Lego in action on the big screen is something every child must love, including me! The CGI in The LEGO Movie is one aspect that I truly love, and the film overall is very cool, but there are some slow and less interesting scenes. The “real” scenes in “our world” for example are very stupid and they should have skipped that. The ending could also been better, maybe more passionate and exiting.

The LEGO Movie is overall not as funny as I thought it would be, but the story and the characters are great!

The LEGO Movie gets a 6/10
  18. May 30, 2014
    Nice. No more. A little disappointing but pleasant movie (thanks to the many LEGO cameos well used). It is only the first film, a good basis for the next LEGO movies which will must do better.
  19. May 30, 2014
    Decent flick but doesn't exactly deserve the praise it's been getting. Cinematography and casting are there but the story gets very slow towards the end. Humour is okay, very self-referential and predictable.
  20. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I went to watch this film due to the many great reviews.
    Review:
    Pros: A rather smart story with clever animation using CGI Lego blocks. It has an interesting twist at the end that was good but wasn't great. Cons: The unique animation wore out quite quickly. I fell asleep for about 10 minutes in the middle of the film. By then, the story had gone into the usual
    Review:
    Cons: The unique animation wore out quite quickly. I fell asleep for about 10 minutes in the middle of the film. By then, the story had gone into the usual exercise of car chases and planes shooting at things. A bit too much may have been spoiled by the trailer.
    3/5 - Good enough to watch it for free on the TV only.

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Dec 15, 2014
    A clever, vividly imagined, consistently funny, eye-poppingly pretty and oddly profound movie … about Legos.
  2. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Sep 22, 2014
    Beautifully shot, impeccably paced, and with a voice cast that nails it in every role, large or small, "The Lego Movie" is a genuine delight.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Mar 3, 2014
    As a rule, movies about toys need to be approached with extreme caution; some of them have been bad enough to count as health hazards. This one is the exception.