- Studio: Cowboy Booking International
- Release Date: Feb 18, 2000
No user score yet- Awaiting 3 more ratings
- Summary: A humorous and nostalgic documentary about an extraordinary baseball player who transcended ethnic and religious prejudice to become an American icon. (Cowboy Booking International)
- Director: Aviva Kempner
- Genre(s): Biography, Sport, Documentary
- More Details and Credits »
91A rousing and agreeable movie that resurrects a small but important episode in baseball history that parallels the larger history of the nation.
80What director Aviva Kempner has done is shine a light into the past and recover a classic American hero, one with all the integrity, decency and largeness of spirit that we have been taught makes up the American character.
60A fine, straightforward tribute to a sports giant who faced blatant prejudice and paved away for the likes Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron and other minorities who dared make a place for themselves as heroes of America's greatest pastime.