5.5

1. BKM
    Dec 21, 2012
    The Loneliest Planet is a colossal bore that doesn't offer any real payoff of any sort. Yes, the scenery is nice and the film goes to great lengths to accurately depict the ways in which people are unable of communicating with one another, but the bottom line is that this movie doesn't have very much to say and yet it takes an extremely long time to do so.
  2. Mar 22, 2013
    Please, if I can save you the nearly 2 hours this film takes to make its point, your time won't be wasted like mine. This is a movie based on a short story by Tom Bissell; the movie might have been interesting itself as a short. However it drags on for nearly 2 hours, during which time there are literally only a couple of minutes of important scenes. The rest of the time is devoted toPlease, if I can save you the nearly 2 hours this film takes to make its point, your time won't be wasted like mine. This is a movie based on a short story by Tom Bissell; the movie might have been interesting itself as a short. However it drags on for nearly 2 hours, during which time there are literally only a couple of minutes of important scenes. The rest of the time is devoted to trying to set the mood of the relationship between the characters (which could have been done in minutes, not hours)...which unfortunately fails to be interesting or believable.

One of the only saving graces of this movie is the incredible Georgian mountain scenery, and even that is reprised many times in virtually identical shots which themselves drag on so long as to be puzzling.
  3. Mar 4, 2013
    The movie is boring, then unrealistic, then all out stupid mixed with repugnant. I cant believe the favorable reviews this garbage got. I had to make an account just to post this. Essentially the couple is not relatable or realistic. Its sort of sexist against men. Most people take it for granted how men are expected to instinctually react, but thats really female chauvinism.
  4. Oct 27, 2012
    An absolutely beautifully-shot film. I would be shocked if a not-insignificant percentage of people who see this film didn't plan a trip to Georgia to make this hike. Truly extraordinary. However, very little happens in this film. And that's certainly ok. Sometimes you just have to let art flow by you. No need to be super analytical here. There are essentially two moments of dramaAn absolutely beautifully-shot film. I would be shocked if a not-insignificant percentage of people who see this film didn't plan a trip to Georgia to make this hike. Truly extraordinary. However, very little happens in this film. And that's certainly ok. Sometimes you just have to let art flow by you. No need to be super analytical here. There are essentially two moments of drama to the film, followed by some weighty emotional repercussions, and that's it! But hey, I felt like i was there, it made me think of my boy scout backpacking days, and in that sense, I enjoyed it. But a great film scoring at or near perfect scores from some of these critics? No. I will say that it's better than another critically acclaimed film with the same pacing - Meek's Cutoff. That sucker bored me to tears. This movie is not boring - it just rolls at a meticulous pace, as if you're walking with the trio through a very beautiful museum. Expand
  5. Nov 17, 2012
    One of the most original odd movies that are interesting. Most of the movie is a wordless mature movie that is emotional and physical at the same time
  6. Sep 2, 2014
    The Loneliest Planet is worth seeing for the scenery alone! This is a marvelous movie to watch while you are doing the dishes or cooking a meal, or while doing two sets of dishes and cooking two meals. There is a bit of nudity at the beginning and some groping and moaning scattered through the rest of the movie, but the movie was much more interesting for the landscape than for theThe Loneliest Planet is worth seeing for the scenery alone! This is a marvelous movie to watch while you are doing the dishes or cooking a meal, or while doing two sets of dishes and cooking two meals. There is a bit of nudity at the beginning and some groping and moaning scattered through the rest of the movie, but the movie was much more interesting for the landscape than for the acting or the plot. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 15, 2012
    The languid, observational style of director Julia Loktev will frustrate those expecting stuff to, like, happen more, but it has its real rewards.
  2. Reviewed by: Walter Addiego
    Nov 2, 2012
    There's no getting around it. Though it's not without virtues, The Loneliest Planet may try the patience of even the most dedicated lovers of art film.
  3. Reviewed by: Wesley Morris
    Nov 1, 2012
    The movie captures a kind of tragedy of self.