9.0

1. Sep 23, 2011
    "Lord of the RIngs: The Fellowship of the Ring" may be boring for several people, but nevertheless it is a heart warming epic adventure that certainly is one of the year's best films.
  2. RandyM.
    Apr 22, 2007
    An epic movie if I ever saw one. Captivating and just plain fun to watch. This movie is, indeed, art.
  3. Dilmano
    Jul 8, 2002
    I'm a bit confused with some of the criticism of this movie..."the same scene over and over again..." That line is repeated in several reviews. Huh? Which scene was that? It appears that this is just the same movie review, over and over again. And our old friend "character development" gets trotted out as another example of the shortcomings of this film. Folks, give it a chance. As I'm a bit confused with some of the criticism of this movie..."the same scene over and over again..." That line is repeated in several reviews. Huh? Which scene was that? It appears that this is just the same movie review, over and over again. And our old friend "character development" gets trotted out as another example of the shortcomings of this film. Folks, give it a chance. As someone earlier mentioned, it's a trilogy. I could already see changes at work in several characters in just the first film. And sometimes, even in the most respected films, characters DON'T develop or change. They just are what they are, and here's their story. Don't mistake plot development for character development. I had no desire to see this film when it came out. I'd tried to read the books way back when I was in college, but just couldn't get into them (I've never been much of a Fantasy fan). My husband, however, is a major LOTR fan, and convinced me to go. I've seen it 4 times since then, and can't wait for the DVD and the new installment in December. Now, I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I'm not a child, nor do I have the intellect of one, and yet I found the film exciting, funny, moving, thought-provoking, and just plain FUN. (And so did my husband, the big LOTR fan.) I cared about the characters and found them compelling. And I had no problem with the ending. Of course, different strokes for different folks! Expand
  4. Sep 21, 2011
    A masterpiece. This movie is a work of Art, and it portrays the great book series with excellence and majesty. It is an all time favorite, and my words fail to describe its magnificence.
  5. Nov 4, 2011
    It's magical, emotional, captivating and epic. The Lord of the Rings is not only a literary classic, but thanks to Peter Jackson, it's now a cinematic classic. 4/4 stars.
  6. Mar 17, 2013
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring review

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring review

I have always viewed the Lord of the Rings trilogy as the incarnation of the word epic. It is bathed in moments that will pull out a tear rout of even the manliest of men just by a monologue, a part of the soundtrack, a victory in a battle, a moment were friendship shines. It will make you cheer for the main characters and join them in their journey. I could talk about this masterpiece (yes I refer to the trilogy as one experience) all lifelong, so I will do my best to summarize my feeling in these three parts. My username is pablo2896 in IMDB and Pablo22in Metacritic by the way, so you can visit my three reviews.
    So let’s get to the first one, the first movie. The Fellowship of the Ring tells the story of a young hobbit who is put in an overwhelming quest to rid his land of evil. And for me this is one aspect that makes me tear up a bit, the fact that one so small can squeeze out so much courage from himself. And this is no other than Elijah Wood´s Frodo Baggins. Elijah does an amazing job acting as the main character. So the movie starts with a prologue explaining the founding of the one ring and how its master was defeated long ago. This clearly shows you what sort of a jaw dropping ride you are going into. It shows the amazing achievement of the special effects and the scale of these films. Then we are introduced to Frodo (Elijah Wood), this hobbit lives a perfect live in The Shire, a town were these hobbits live, eat and smoke weed (yes they even say it in the movie). His uncle Bilbo Baggins (Ian Holm) has carried the One Ring for a while, this entity that is consisted of the other half of the soul of Sauron, the evil bad guy. So he leaves it to Frodo who is then given the (almost) impossible task of taking it to the fires of Mt. Doom, the only place it can be destroyed and by doing so, vanquishing evil. And in the mean time Sauron sends his nine wraith to find this ring and kill everybody who goes in their way. Easy, right? Gandalf a powerful wizard, played by no other than Ian McKellen who perfectly portrays you the wisdom, the charm and the power of this conjurer, swears to protect Frodo at all costs in this journey and they take Sam with them, played by Sean Astin (who´s incredible acting and character I will describe in my third review) Frodo’s gardener with them. In their journey they meet some characters like Merry (Dominic Monaghan), Pippin (Billy Boyd) and no other than the badass Aragorn who´s actor Viggo Mortensen plays it amazingly, he is able to make you know he is a badass. So to summarize that part this movie has some of the best character developments I´ve seen in any movie. In the elvish sanctuary Rivendell they form the Fellowship of the Ring, which is consisted by the six characters I mentioned up there and three more, Boromir (a man), Legolas (an elf) and Gimli (a dwarf). Sean Bean, the actor who plays Boromir, does a good job in setting this character´s conflicts and desires for the Ring of power, but it portrays his honor and loyalty also. Legolas and Gimli I thought would be more like filler characters but you feel interest for them and you connect to them immediately. The same can be said for Merry and Pippin. From Rivendell they embark to their destination, Mordor the Land of evil. God, I have to talk about the montage of the Fellowship traveling. It is an epic compilation of amazing landscapes and hair rising soundtrack. This is where I really felt the epicness of the movie. By the way this was pretty much the half of the movie, the buildup. So was it a typical long boring buildup? No, not in its least. They encounter dangers like spying crows sent by Saruman, an evil wizard who sides with Sauron at the beginning of the movie, and a treacherous storm (also sent by Saruman, what a dick) in the middle of a dangerous mountain which forces them to take another path, the Mines of Moria. Gimli explains to them that the dwarves will welcome them in there but he´s WRONG. They get there and the place is a graveyard, a graveyard made from dwarves! So to summarize it they get trapped in there (blame the giant octopus) and now have to get across the dwarven city. Warning: EPICNESS! They soon find out they are not alone, and no other than Pippin (fool of a Took!) wakes up every goblin infesting the mines. This leads to an awesome battle were you are cheering for the Fellowship while it slays goblins and a cave troll! They escape and make a run for the bridge of Khazad Dum with an army of goblins on their backs and an awesome score which is beyond epic. But they realize something else is in those mines. A Balrog. A foe so powerful, only Gandalf can defeat it. They get to the bridge and the wizard faces it. In the most epic moments of the film he takes it down but unfortunately he goes down with it. You feel the loss yourself at this moment, seeing everyone in pain. Ran out of letters! See the rest in IMDB.
  7. JasonV.
    Jul 28, 2002
    Best.. Movie... Ever! The people who "hate" it are just backlashing against the overwhelmingly positive response to this work of art! Much better than A Beautiful Mind, and MUCH MUCH better than Moulin Rouge!
  8. AndrewJ.F.
    Jan 11, 2002
    Go read a book, Will. Once in your life. Please?
  9. ClaireE.
    Jan 12, 2002
    How can people even begin to call this film boring? Obviously Will's idea of fun is deciding which shade of grey to wear that particular day. This film is amazing, great story, great adaptation, great performances, music and scenery! OK so it has some faults, but being boring is certainly not one of them.
  10. TedB.
    Jan 2, 2002
    This was more faithful to the book than I had hoped. My fear was that-- as often happens-- little would remain of the original story. This was a superb retelling of a great story. This is a truly great film.
  11. LaraQ.
    Oct 28, 2002
    The people who gave this movie a 6 or lower, well, I pity him/her. One person complained there was no character development. HELLO! It happened little by little. Only, sadly, some people didn't put any thought into it to see it. I mean, I can see where a person would say this about Aragorn, but when you think about him HARD you'll see his character. He of course, is an extremely The people who gave this movie a 6 or lower, well, I pity him/her. One person complained there was no character development. HELLO! It happened little by little. Only, sadly, some people didn't put any thought into it to see it. I mean, I can see where a person would say this about Aragorn, but when you think about him HARD you'll see his character. He of course, is an extremely skilled warrior, but he also uses his brain, and his heart. But for the most part, you could definitely see character development. The hobbits are another thing as well. Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin in paticular. Frodo is someone we can emphasize with. When he is responsible for the ring, you can tell he's very nervous and scared about this, we'd be the same. Sam, is very loyal, and is easily frightened. Merry and Pippin are both very alike. Both of them a have to take a minute to see what's going on. Someone complained the movie would've been better if it had nudity and sex. I pity that person. That is what makes a movie BAD. And if it had that, that practiacally be betraying the beauty of the book. And the most popular, was that someone said it was a childish plot. PLEASE. Do you think a child could write a story this thorough? Definetly not. Unless the child had an I.Q. of 199. That's another story. And whoever said this was for nerdy people only well, that person must have poor interests, because many non-nerds have loved this movie. I can't believe that proffessor hated it. Either that was someone pretending to be a proffessor, or it was one of the most unlikable proffessors of all time. This movie was quite moving too, especially at the end (someone please hand me a box of kleenex!) See this one! Collapse
  12. KatieG.
    May 4, 2002
    I must say this is the best movie in the entire history of movies, next December is way to long to wait for the next one and in two decembers is definitely too long to wait for the last one. I love this movie!!!!
  13. GregB.
    Jun 23, 2002
    Quit looking so much into the movie and just sit back and enjoy it. This was a great movie to enjoy with plenty of great scenes. Quit raping the movie and just watch it for once.
  14. JessicaP.
    Jul 9, 2002
    Great film! I watched it over and over again when it came out at theaters! Orlando Bloom who portrays Legolas the elf is so HOTT! The action was suspensful and thrilling. The effects were really something. but something is wrong. A beautiful Mind shouldn't have beaten Lord of the Rings at the Awards Ceremony!!!! THATS JUST TOTAL WRONG!
  15. MeghanK.
    Sep 29, 2002
    It was awesome. The actors did a great job in making each of their characters interesting and I really felt as if the Shire and the Hobbits and the whole land of Middle Earth was a real place. I love this movie, I also was happy to see that the movie did not totaly destroy the point of the book.
  16. RyanW
    Oct 20, 2004
    I think this was the greatest movie ever It was so much better than that Harry Potter junk. this movie was so exciting and once I saw the first one I couldn't wait to see what the ending was. so peace brother.
  17. JonH.
    Dec 19, 2001
    Finally, a film that makes good on its promises. Nearly perfect in every way. Thank you, thank you, Mr. Jackson.
  18. Andrew
    Dec 19, 2001
    I cannot even begin to say enough about how fantastic this movie was. Jackson has finally, FINALLY, lent a TON of credibility to this intensely creative genre of film. There are movies that you watch, and there are movies that you EXPERIENCE, and this is truly one that immerses you in the world it delivers and allows you an experience...and these are the best movies of all time.
  19. PaulM.
    Nov 22, 2002
    Deserves ever score of 10 and nothing less. On September 11th, 2001, the world changed forever. No longer did I feel the comfort of a safe country, a safe home. Nothing mattered any more except for the strength, support, and love of friends. And that is what the Lord of the Rings is about. It is a story of the human spirit told through the struggle to ward off a foe unseen. It has very Deserves ever score of 10 and nothing less. On September 11th, 2001, the world changed forever. No longer did I feel the comfort of a safe country, a safe home. Nothing mattered any more except for the strength, support, and love of friends. And that is what the Lord of the Rings is about. It is a story of the human spirit told through the struggle to ward off a foe unseen. It has very deep values and morals throughout, with very powerful messages. The message that even using a dark power with good intentions, that power can and will corrupt. This is also the story of friendship, faithfulness, and forgiveness. In the bonds between the characters, and the struggles of the characters, they ask each others forgiveness, and apologize to one another when they fail. This film spoke volumes to me with many underlying themes such as those. Beyond that, the experience of the film was such that I have never seen before. What I saw wasn't perfect, but the flaws are forgiveable. The length isn't a problem, because they were able to capture more of the book and I'm thankful for that. For a long time I wondered how audiences felt seeing the original Star Wars and changing the world of film, as I was born the year that the Empire Struck Back, and I believe that I have just witnessed just such an event, and felt those emotions. This picture had an effect on me and I loved the whole thing. Expand
  20. DonO.
    Jan 23, 2002
    Editor, I loved "Stars Wars," but I loved Fellowship of the Ring even more. I haven't read the Rings books in 30 years, but this film was so filled with such operatic beauty, such exquisite characters and such courage in the face of outrageous peril that it's now my number-one movie of all time. Star Wars was great ? humorous, slap-dash and filled with amazing special effects, Editor, I loved "Stars Wars," but I loved Fellowship of the Ring even more. I haven't read the Rings books in 30 years, but this film was so filled with such operatic beauty, such exquisite characters and such courage in the face of outrageous peril that it's now my number-one movie of all time. Star Wars was great ? humorous, slap-dash and filled with amazing special effects, but it was, to be honest, only the world's best Saturday afternoon matinee. As serious film, it doesn't even come close to the Fellowship of the Ring. Expand
  21. IanW.
    Dec 4, 2002
    They have somehow managed the seemingly impossible, they have improved upon the book!! (removed scenes that would not work on film and added extra "continuity"). WONDERFUL!!!
  22. KarlD.
    Jan 4, 2002
    I have to give a 10+++ (as I watched it already 3 times) for the movie I was expecting for months. I truly remained without breath fot the whole 3 hours and enjoyed every second of it. The myth of the great mind of J.R.R. Tolkien finally came to life with this truly remarkable masterpiece of filmaking. I have never seen such good visuals in my life, and after I have read the books of the I have to give a 10+++ (as I watched it already 3 times) for the movie I was expecting for months. I truly remained without breath fot the whole 3 hours and enjoyed every second of it. The myth of the great mind of J.R.R. Tolkien finally came to life with this truly remarkable masterpiece of filmaking. I have never seen such good visuals in my life, and after I have read the books of the Lord of the Rings, I realised how well the whole book was recreated superbly on screen. The scenery is truly spectecular and breathtaking, compliments to Peter Jackson's New Zealand and his great talent. The soundtrack is also marvellous. I hope this film will be rewarded for its greatness. It is a great epic of fantasy and adventure, and without any doubt, one of the or the best film of the year. I do not mind people critsicing harshly the film because I do believe they don't know a damn about the books of Tolkien. Please don't try to compare it to Star Wars, maybe it was written 40 years later!! The Fellowship of the Ring is a dream come true thanks to Tolkien's genius and Peter Jackson's talent. Flawless! Can't wait a year and two to see the other movies, then I guess I have to put myself on dvds! Expand
  23. KaraL.
    Apr 7, 2002
    The scenery was beautiful, the acting was mostly wonderful, and it leaves you wanting more.
  24. KeshiaB.
    May 15, 2002
    What can I say it was absolutely amazine! I can't wait 2 C the next 2.
  25. JamesF.
    Aug 8, 2002
    Don't mean to be a bandwagon jumper, but his movie is excellent. I, for one, love fantasy films, and this has got to be the greatest of that genre ever made. However, the great thing is youi don't have to eb a fantasy film lover to ike this movie. It's like star wars only fantasy (except I didn't really care for star wars), its a film that anybody of any age can enjoy Don't mean to be a bandwagon jumper, but his movie is excellent. I, for one, love fantasy films, and this has got to be the greatest of that genre ever made. However, the great thing is youi don't have to eb a fantasy film lover to ike this movie. It's like star wars only fantasy (except I didn't really care for star wars), its a film that anybody of any age can enjoy so long as they have imagination and don't mind a long, epic movie. Expand
  26. ElizabethF.
    Sep 28, 2002
    The beauty of this film is that it appeals to those who have read The Lord of the Rings as well as those who haven't. Newcomers (most of them) are intrigued by portrayal of the characters and storyline, whereas the old are captured once again by Tolkien's epic. The acting cannot be faulted; it was convincing. And Peter Jackson did well in choosing the parts of the story to cut The beauty of this film is that it appeals to those who have read The Lord of the Rings as well as those who haven't. Newcomers (most of them) are intrigued by portrayal of the characters and storyline, whereas the old are captured once again by Tolkien's epic. The acting cannot be faulted; it was convincing. And Peter Jackson did well in choosing the parts of the story to cut out. Of course, no movie is complete without a good accompanying score, and Howard Shore was truly magical. It was not about character development. In fact, in the books, there was very little until later, much later in the story. It should be more that enough that the characters were stunningly portrayed and cunningly acted out. Take, for instance, Frodo Baggins. At bag end, he is happy. And why shouldn't he be? His life is perfect. He is rich and well-liked in the community. When his beloved uncle disappears, he is sad - but not overly so, because he respects Bilbo. But Elijah Wood conveys his misery perfectly when the truth of the ring is revealed, and his acceptance of his task. His desperate flee from the Ringwraiths, his fear, and the doom that he brings upon him at the council - all clearly seen through the smallest of actions and speech. Then the journey through the mines, "a pity Bilbo didn't kill [Gollum] when he had the chance," the revelations in Lórien, "I cannot do this alone," and the exceptional courage in Amon Hen, "can you protect me from yourself?" serve to make Frodo Baggins a formidable character in the movie of the year. But I am surprised at some of the comments posted here. One person complains that it was too violent for children. I don't mean to sound insulting, but this person has obviously never read the books. A child would never grasp the concepts in The Lord of the Rings. Of course, if the original reviewer was a child prodigy with an I.Q. of 180 and attended Oxford for literature at age 15, forgive me. For the comment about the two "annoying short guys," those short guys are HOBBITS, and they are the main characters in the story. To the person who called it "a nerdy movie for nerdy people... that [run] around outside pretending to cast spells on each other," I am sorry that some of us have a desire for good literature. As for the comments about length... try reading it. And the one review to cap them all: "Sean R. gave it a 5: This is one of those movies where you need to expect an 500 page story crammed not action. The action weren't that good and the demon characters looked really cheesy. The plot also really didn't make a whole lot of sense either. The thing I will never get over though are the names Frodo, Bilbo. Did Mike Tyson name these guys?" It is pitiable. Especially the last two sentences. Kudos to you, Peter Jackson and co. The Fellowship of the Ring is truly a magnificent movie, and certainly does the book justice. Expand
  27. SamanthaH.
    Apr 13, 2003
    All the peps worry cool and frodo wasthe coolest.
  28. raVen
    Jul 19, 2003
    Beautifully done--Tolkien was not betrayed. Abridged, yes, but never betrayed. Beyond the endless eyecandy, what I loved most was that it wasn't made specifically for the large segment of our population that would rather watch a movie than read the great book it was based on. "Fellowship" has action and swordplay, but doesn't depend on them. The characters are fantastical, but Beautifully done--Tolkien was not betrayed. Abridged, yes, but never betrayed. Beyond the endless eyecandy, what I loved most was that it wasn't made specifically for the large segment of our population that would rather watch a movie than read the great book it was based on. "Fellowship" has action and swordplay, but doesn't depend on them. The characters are fantastical, but not unreal. It's a special effects gem that isn't dumb. And this one's only the beginning... Expand
  29. a.smith
    Nov 18, 2004
    The film was bloody brilliant also my kids agree to if we could we would of rated the film 20 out of 20. But them was say it no good what to look agin and see what thay like seen as people all have different points all things so if thay done like it thay should not watch in the first place.
  30. JaneA.
    Aug 8, 2004
    I love the Lord of the Rings films (and books). See the extended editions.
  31. JustinM.
    Dec 19, 2001
    So far, this is the only movie I can honestly say has overstepped the bounds of it's hype. What fantasy film could be better than the very series that started it all? Recipe: Take four hobbits, a wizard, elf, king of men, and dwarf. Cast well. Act to golden perfection and add props and special effects to taste. Jackson did all that and more, and cooked up nothing short of a timeless So far, this is the only movie I can honestly say has overstepped the bounds of it's hype. What fantasy film could be better than the very series that started it all? Recipe: Take four hobbits, a wizard, elf, king of men, and dwarf. Cast well. Act to golden perfection and add props and special effects to taste. Jackson did all that and more, and cooked up nothing short of a timeless masterpiece! Long-live such moviemaking! Expand
  32. StephanieB.
    Nov 12, 2002
    This movie was awsome!!!! It may have been differnt from the book but it was Grrrreeeaatttt!!!!! The way they made the movie and the effects and features, i fell in love with it!!!!
  33. AbbyM.
    Feb 24, 2002
    It was the best movie I have ever seen.
  34. M.
    Apr 22, 2002
    OK. I want to give it 11 outta 10 really!!! OMG how good and amazing was this film anyone who gives it lower than 10.... grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! Basically 3 words... Elijah Jordan Wood! aaaahhhh.
  35. K-dog
    Jun 18, 2002
    This movie was one of the best movies i have ever seen. Not only is it true to the book, but the visuals and interpretation of it were beautiful. Anyone who dares give this movie anything below an 8 has their head up their ass. No Character development? Its a #*@*ing trilogy! you cant expect all the development in the first movie! Overall, all i have to say is, when this movie comes on This movie was one of the best movies i have ever seen. Not only is it true to the book, but the visuals and interpretation of it were beautiful. Anyone who dares give this movie anything below an 8 has their head up their ass. No Character development? Its a #*@*ing trilogy! you cant expect all the development in the first movie! Overall, all i have to say is, when this movie comes on dvd, i'm gonna buy it and watch it over and over again. Expand
  36. JJ
    Jun 19, 2002
    An Exellent, well acted movie altogether. Very beautiful and breath taking. See It!
  37. Matt
    Aug 12, 2002
    Intoxicating in it's imagery and imagination, "Rings" is the most visceral moviegoing experience since "2001." An incredible monument to J.R.R. Tolkien, it's one of the best completely fantastic films you're apt to see for some time.
  38. DanW.
    Sep 24, 2002
    Wow, I'm suprised at the lack of intelligence in some of the people who made comments about how bad the movie was. You're saying it had the same scene repeated over and over again yet I saw about 8 different people in a row say that there was no character development. Sounds like repetition to me. For those who say they didn't like the movie because it was too long I say Wow, I'm suprised at the lack of intelligence in some of the people who made comments about how bad the movie was. You're saying it had the same scene repeated over and over again yet I saw about 8 different people in a row say that there was no character development. Sounds like repetition to me. For those who say they didn't like the movie because it was too long I say one thing. Thank your lucky stars. Obviously you haven't read any of the books. The first book on which the movie is based is well over 500 pages long, and many scenes in the book that might "develop the characters better" were but out to make it shorter so people like you wouldn't complain. People who say that this movie lacked intelligence or is built for a child, try reading the books. I guarantee you no child under the age of 12 will be able to grasp the words that make up the storie. To the person who said this was a movie for nerdy people who ran around casting spells at each other. I'm sorry, I guess being labelled a nerd is the price you pay for having an imagination. This movie is about fantasy, it's about believing in the unbelievable and about good triumphing over evil. In this day and age, thats something everyone can look to for support, imagination or not. Props to you Tolkien, I'm sure you would be turning in your grave if you read the series of slander written about a work of art such as yours. Expand
  39. ChadG.
    Dec 10, 2003
    A masterpiece. The second best film of the trilogy after the miracle that is ROTK.
  40. Chickenmouth
    Dec 15, 2003
    I realize this isn't a forum, but seriously... "Worse, everything here is a rudimentary sword/sorcery cliche" Tolkien was one of the first fantasy writers and they weren't cliches when he wrote them... but Peter Jackson's done a great job adapting and this is one of the best movies ever made, I think.
  41. SamG.
    Dec 12, 2004
    I think the reviewers below me need to take another good look at why people say these movies are great. They complain about lack of character development and overused CGI, yet they are completely ignoring the HEART of this enterprise. Not once does Peter Jackson move a scene forward, especially in this first movie of the trilogy, without showing the characters; their feelings, hopes, I think the reviewers below me need to take another good look at why people say these movies are great. They complain about lack of character development and overused CGI, yet they are completely ignoring the HEART of this enterprise. Not once does Peter Jackson move a scene forward, especially in this first movie of the trilogy, without showing the characters; their feelings, hopes, dreams, fears and regrets. We get to see each main character conquer their fear in some way, in the face of grander adversity then appears on the screen more than probably once a year (if at all). Also, the entire crew clearly had a philosophy of not letting special effects overpower the heart of this movie. When something could be filmed without CGI, it WAS filmed without CGI. That's why, if any research is done, their were so many methods of making the hobbits look small, the most rarely used being CGI. Mostly, I feel complaints against this movie surface after the fact that it wins Oscars, as backlash surfaces against anything with so much success. Overall, this movie deserves the highest grade imaginable as it grabs your heart and doesn't let go. To Mr. Matthew A.'s statement he didn't fall in love with it, I can only counter with the fact that I did. But I think an entire generation has as well. Expand
  42. BenjaminA.
    Jun 17, 2004
    One of the greatest movies of all time.
  43. LAW
    Dec 19, 2001
    The best sound, art direction, visual effects, casting and over-all direction in a movie I have ever seen. No other director has put so much thought into a fantasy movie that satisfies so completely. It attacks & woos you at the same time. Jackson's talent, patience and creative genuis has set the bar to the highest it's ever been. It's about time. Hollywood hacks, be The best sound, art direction, visual effects, casting and over-all direction in a movie I have ever seen. No other director has put so much thought into a fantasy movie that satisfies so completely. It attacks & woos you at the same time. Jackson's talent, patience and creative genuis has set the bar to the highest it's ever been. It's about time. Hollywood hacks, be envious. Almost 3 hours and people around me sighed at the end because it was over, and then aplauded. An experience I will not soon forget. Expand
  44. AllyT.
    Nov 11, 2002
    Some airhead said this movie had a childish plot. Read the book you loser, can a child 10 years and under possibly understand all that, let alone write it? I thought this movie should've deserved the amount of Academy Awards it was nominated for. But NO. Even if they're nominated, and practically everyone fell in love with them, a fantasy film never gets an award for Best Some airhead said this movie had a childish plot. Read the book you loser, can a child 10 years and under possibly understand all that, let alone write it? I thought this movie should've deserved the amount of Academy Awards it was nominated for. But NO. Even if they're nominated, and practically everyone fell in love with them, a fantasy film never gets an award for Best Picture, they just get nominated for it. I can't believe A Beautiful Mind won... This movie rocks! So does the book! And the acting was... fabulous... I can't believe Ian Mckellen didn't win the Academy Award practically everyone thought he deserved. Thank God Peter Jackson didn't make his orcs goblins, and Ringraiths a.ka. Black Riders all digitilized like George Lucas might've. No, he had some actors wear the costumes of them, and they ended up to be A LOT scarier than if they were computerized. Thank you sooo much, Mr. Jackson! Expand
  45. PoseurCritick
    Nov 18, 2002
    If I were to cop out and write a one-liner review (ought to be a crime) it would read: It's not long enough. More to the point: sticks and stones may make it more difficult for Tolkien appreciators to grab the DVD when piled high around the displays, but polysyllables will never stop us from enjoying it.
  46. FrodoFan
    Dec 19, 2002
    When the movie came to theaters i didn't see it. I didn't really care that much. Then I rented it and when "Directed by Peter Jackson" came up on the scream after the 3 hour action packed fantasy movie ended, I let out a cry, turned to my sister and said "That was REALLY good!" It is my absolute favorite movie. And out of a 10 I would give it a 100. Whoever said the special When the movie came to theaters i didn't see it. I didn't really care that much. Then I rented it and when "Directed by Peter Jackson" came up on the scream after the 3 hour action packed fantasy movie ended, I let out a cry, turned to my sister and said "That was REALLY good!" It is my absolute favorite movie. And out of a 10 I would give it a 100. Whoever said the special effects were "laughable" needs help. I am desperate to see the Two Towers and whoever saids Peter Jackson chose a tasteless name needs help too. Frodo is such a relatable character. I liked Harry Potter the first time I saw the movie. But the second time I saw it I was thinking "Will this never end???" But with LOTR, I watched it every day for a week. I love it. I laugh and I cry. The special effects are awesome, it is never boring despite it's length, the characters are relatable, and it is an overall masterpiece! I can't wait to see the Two Towers and Return of the King!!! Expand
  47. Corey
    Nov 28, 2003
    If there ever was a movie that i would marry this would be it. I love this movie. The greatest movie ever made. Overwhelming!! Awe inspiring!!! mocostrulating!!! hapervestulating!!! I'm making up words because there are none that exist that can describe this movie.
  48. ElendilA.
    Dec 12, 2003
    Wonderful!!!!!
  49. JonasM.
    Dec 15, 2003
    A true masterpiece!
  50. MartinG.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Great movie, great direction, great photography. Outstanding and amusing from the first minute. The Best: the music and the landscapes, also Sir Ian´s McKellen´s performance The Worst: maybe the end, but it is reasonable because it´s the first movie of the trilogy.
  51. Aug 31, 2010
    Its been a while since I read the book, but from what I remember, the movie misses out a few things. But it doesn't matter! This is the perfect fantasy movie. It may be a bit clichéd at times, but that is expected. Watching it for the second (or maybe third) time, I realize how perfect this is, and how every other movie of this genre tries to live up to the bar set so high byIts been a while since I read the book, but from what I remember, the movie misses out a few things. But it doesn't matter! This is the perfect fantasy movie. It may be a bit clichéd at times, but that is expected. Watching it for the second (or maybe third) time, I realize how perfect this is, and how every other movie of this genre tries to live up to the bar set so high by this movie. Expand
  52. Nov 27, 2010
    Possibly the best movie ever. It feels like your seeing the book, I unfortunetly watched the movie then read the book, such a mistake. Visually stunning. Sir Ian Mckellen was brilliant as Gandalf, this movie is almost flawless. That is why I give it a ten. The fools who rate this movie low should be ashamed!
  53. Feb 11, 2012
    A epic adventure masterpiece. I had to watch several times to understand some of the dialogue but when I do understand, it is wonderful well done. I have never read the books but when I was in a bookstore, soon after viewing the movie at the cinemas, I bought the novel.
  54. Jan 9, 2012
    You could easily tell the people that rate the film a 0/10 are either trolling or die hard fans of rival series such as Harry Potter and I pity those shameful morons because this film is excellent and a marvel at its time. When I first watched this film as a kid I have never seen anything like it on movie ever before. It was intense, it was interesting, the soundtrack is excellent and mostYou could easily tell the people that rate the film a 0/10 are either trolling or die hard fans of rival series such as Harry Potter and I pity those shameful morons because this film is excellent and a marvel at its time. When I first watched this film as a kid I have never seen anything like it on movie ever before. It was intense, it was interesting, the soundtrack is excellent and most importantly the ensemble cast was an absolutly perfect. My favourite scene was the council at Rivendell. It is very interesting how each character has their different opinion on the Ring and the best battle sequence was during Moria, of course the Cave Troll made it great. I personally praise the acting of Sean "Boromir Bean, Sean "Samwise" Astin and Ian "Gandalf" Mckellen I thought those 3 stood out because of how dramatic they can act without making a fool of themselves. When the film hit on Dvds and Videos I immediatly bought it along with the other 2 movies in support of the how inspiring and influentional those films were to me. Expand
  55. Sep 1, 2011
    indeed,a fabulous work of art......highly captivating movie .....a great start to a highly acclaimed trilogy of cinema...im anticipating a lot to watch the remaining movies of the trilogy.....
  56. Dec 9, 2011
    For hardcore fans, Peter Jackson's vision of the Middle-Earth may be a disrespect to the source material, but for me, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is the most faithful adaptation you cold ask of. Many people were bored by its length, but I found the first chapter of the trilogy an epic masterpiece.
  57. Dec 2, 2012
    It's surprising when you find one of these rare epics that still manage to captivate and spellbind over such a long period of time. The visuals were absolutely majestic, yet the story managed to unfold with such grace and never dawdled. The actors proved worthy of the role they played and kept up their spirit throughout. It was also nice to feel a little light-heartedness among theIt's surprising when you find one of these rare epics that still manage to captivate and spellbind over such a long period of time. The visuals were absolutely majestic, yet the story managed to unfold with such grace and never dawdled. The actors proved worthy of the role they played and kept up their spirit throughout. It was also nice to feel a little light-heartedness among the fantasy, drama and suspense that occurred. To be honest, I couldn't really point out what was actually bad about it, because it just looks like one of the best fantasy epics ever made. Expand
  58. Jul 28, 2012
    Wonderful movie adaptation of a wonderful tale. I'm very pleased with how the different species all have different movements and with how big the adventure feels.
  59. Jan 20, 2012
    I am happy to see the awarness of the community. Reviews of those people who do not understand epicness and quality of this movie from some reason , are found unhelpfull. On the other hand almost everyone agrees with those who give compliments to this movie , peter jackson , and of course great tolkien. I watched whole trilogy many times and i can only say , that it is the greates trilogyI am happy to see the awarness of the community. Reviews of those people who do not understand epicness and quality of this movie from some reason , are found unhelpfull. On the other hand almost everyone agrees with those who give compliments to this movie , peter jackson , and of course great tolkien. I watched whole trilogy many times and i can only say , that it is the greates trilogy ever. By my opinion all three of these movies are best there is in the movie world. If someone hasnt still watched it , chances are slim but , he should watch it right away , not just this one but whole tirlogy. Thank you community. Expand
  60. Feb 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply put: One of the greatest movies of all time, and an even better start to the cinematic epic that is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Amazing visual effects, a gripping story, full of emotion, and a fantastic performance by Ian McKellen as Gandalf, the Fellowship of the Ring is a great open for J.R.R Tolkien's world of Middle Earth. Yes, Tom Bombadil was left out, but when doing adaptations sacrifices must be made, and even though the inclusion of Bombadil would have done nothing other than strengthen the film even more, the film is already a masterpiece. Expand
  61. Feb 12, 2012
    this is one of the best films ever, i love the storyline, the action sequences, the coolness, everything about it, it doesn't have any faults really.
  62. Mar 15, 2012
    probably one of the best fantasy movies out there,with epic effects,a well made story and the movie followed the book well(although they did leave one epic scene out).The music added to the move was brilliant and perfectly matched with the film.Overall 10/10
  63. Dec 8, 2012
    The Lord of the Rings is a modern day classic, a film series that will live in legend. The first film, The Fellowship of the Ring begins the adventure of Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin and the forming of the fellowship to destroy The One Ring in the fires of Mt Doom. After inherriting a mysterious ring on his uncles 111th birthday, Frodo is warned by the old wizard Gandalf that the ringThe Lord of the Rings is a modern day classic, a film series that will live in legend. The first film, The Fellowship of the Ring begins the adventure of Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin and the forming of the fellowship to destroy The One Ring in the fires of Mt Doom. After inherriting a mysterious ring on his uncles 111th birthday, Frodo is warned by the old wizard Gandalf that the ring possesses an evil power that could bring about the rise of the dark lord Sauron to cast shadow over all of middle earth. As the Hobbits travel to Rivendell they begin a fellowship consisting of many different races from across middle earth who will sacrifice their lives to get this ring to Mordor. Peter Jackson has masterfully transferred Middle Earth from page to screen, making it feel real and incredibly lifelike. A film that everyone should watch Expand
  64. Jun 17, 2012
    This was a FANTASTIC film based on a FANTASTIC book. It is one of the few book-to-film conversions that I approved of and it was great. The casting was spot-on as well.
  65. Dec 4, 2012
    This movie was true to the books. Everything in the movie looked the way I imagined it looking when I read the book long ago when I was a boy. Although, I usually don't like CGI, the CGI in this trilogy is absolutely great. As are the costumes and sets. Gollum is the first CGI character from a serious film that I have liked. It is probably because he was basically a virtual puppet that anThis movie was true to the books. Everything in the movie looked the way I imagined it looking when I read the book long ago when I was a boy. Although, I usually don't like CGI, the CGI in this trilogy is absolutely great. As are the costumes and sets. Gollum is the first CGI character from a serious film that I have liked. It is probably because he was basically a virtual puppet that an actual puppeteer,controlled and they recorded the data points in a computer and then drew the CGI around his movements. Way better than Jar Jar Binks in Start Wars lol! Expand
  66. Sep 17, 2012
    this movie good. me like this movie. i like it lot. you should like too. it good movie. me like it lot. me really like movie cuz movie good. if you no like movie then you is a stupid.
  67. Mar 3, 2013
    This movie in one word: AWESOME. The cast is excellent and the story even so good. I like the story and the film is well directed by Peter Jackson. The creatures are very nice. I love this film a lot. A must see
  68. Oct 5, 2013
    Perfectly directed, adapted, written, acted and orchestrated, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is a near perfect film in my eyes. From the sequence on the Shire to the final scene in the film, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is briskly paced, completely engaging and emotionally powerful. This film is my all time favourite!
  69. KeithE.
    Sep 20, 2003
    The first installment of the classic series the Lord Of The Rings was cinematically beautiful and awe inspiring. The battle scenes were very enjoyable. The creatures of Tolkien's world were well portrayed and believable. I would have chosen someone other than Elijah Wood to portray Froto, but Wood played his part well. Fabulous movie and left most viewers awaiting more.
  70. MattL.
    Jan 28, 2005
    This is the movie that started the mother of all movie trilogies. Filmmaking will never be the same. Visually stunning, emotionally riveting, and dramatically inspiring.
  71. Anonymous
    Jun 8, 2005
    A great start to a great trilogy. Never bores you. Despite all the mythicism surrounding him, Frodo is a character almost anybody can relate to. The battles are great, but Moria's where it really shines. Scenery is great. Start here and work you way through. It only gets better.
  72. VictorG
    May 4, 2010
    This is my favourite movie of all Time & by saying so i don't need to give any details or reasons.
  73. JoeyV.
    Jan 10, 2002
    I started reading the book like 3 years ago, it seemed boring and extremely discriptive for my taste, any way, I thought I was only about magicians and elves and dwarfs, nothing big...I was sooo wrong. I saw the movie and it really involved me into it...it's about honor and pride and friendship and human values that are vanishing right now. Great effects, excellent acting roles, I started reading the book like 3 years ago, it seemed boring and extremely discriptive for my taste, any way, I thought I was only about magicians and elves and dwarfs, nothing big...I was sooo wrong. I saw the movie and it really involved me into it...it's about honor and pride and friendship and human values that are vanishing right now. Great effects, excellent acting roles, brilliant music...I couln't have asked more. Expand
  74. RichardG.
    Oct 4, 2002
    Very GOOD!!, this movie depicts everything which one would expect in this type of genre. The acting is splended, the lighting is great, the fights and of course the plot is fantastic. Definitely one to see, and it leaves you wanting more & more & more.....
  75. *~SuGa_BaBi~*
    Apr 15, 2002
    Original, exciting, riveting and entertaining...brings the book to life...all tha actors, music, special effects, and scenery were brilliant! Truly, a totally mad movie. Couldn't be betta!
  76. EmilyH.
    Jun 6, 2002
    This is one of my favorite movies I don't see how anyone could not like it! Who would be so crazy as to give it a 1 or 0?
  77. JoshuaW.
    Aug 2, 2002
    Yes, I believe this movie to be excellant. It certainly will go down in the history books as one of the greatest films of all time. It is a different kind of film than "Citizen Kane", but no less important to cinema. That is why there are so many types of film genres. Those out there who have given this movie a rating of 1 or 0 are really just being spoiled sports. O.K., so you Yes, I believe this movie to be excellant. It certainly will go down in the history books as one of the greatest films of all time. It is a different kind of film than "Citizen Kane", but no less important to cinema. That is why there are so many types of film genres. Those out there who have given this movie a rating of 1 or 0 are really just being spoiled sports. O.K., so you didn't like the story or the acting, fine. That's a matter of taste, but this is a film, which means that the story and acting are just a part of it's entirety. Set design, musical score, cinematography, etc.. are also important factors that must be acknowledged when reviewing a film. This movie was and is an excellantly crafted piece of cinema. In my opinion it seemlessly merged the technical aspects with the creative ones. I loved the story, directing, cinematography, acting, special effects, etc.. If you don't agree about the acting or story, well as much as I may dissagree with you that's fine, however it is unjust to give this film such a low rating when it obviously was so well made from a production stand point. It is only fair to acknowledge it's achievements where they are undeniable, regardless of personal preferences. Expand
  78. SimonM.
    Sep 5, 2002
    It was the best movie i have ever seen. i have bought all of the lord of the rings movies gear and i cant wait untill the lord of the rings the two towers comes out, but i know how it ends now because i just finished the books yesterday.
  79. PederD.
    May 2, 2003
    Best movie ever!!!
  80. LlsE.
    Jun 18, 2005
    The best film I have ever seen.
  81. RobbyZ.
    Apr 8, 2010
    Extraordinary. Wondrous to behold.
  82. X
    Oct 1, 2002
    When I saw this movie I didn't get all I expected... I got more than I expected. This movie clearly earned the academy awards it won, if not it should have won more. I love the fight scenes and most of the characters. The visual effects were stunning, I liked the work on the Balrog the most. As for the costumes: excellent. As for the soundtrack, a definite must buy for music-lovers. When I saw this movie I didn't get all I expected... I got more than I expected. This movie clearly earned the academy awards it won, if not it should have won more. I love the fight scenes and most of the characters. The visual effects were stunning, I liked the work on the Balrog the most. As for the costumes: excellent. As for the soundtrack, a definite must buy for music-lovers. As for those who have given it less than satisfactory ratings you clearly have poor taste in movies, the patience of kindergarteners, and a lack of appreciation of good movies. Yes the movie is long, big whoop, the book was even longer. All we got was half the book put into three hours, plus the beginning of "The Two Towers" but more was intended but didn't make the final cut. The ending. Ever hear of a "cliffhanger"? no, wait, you don't know what a cliffhanger is cause you're too busy whining over the fact you can't appreciate good movies because of your poor taste. Endings like that are left open to make the audience come back for more. As for character development, who cares? This is THE FIRST PART of the trilogy. All they did was introduce the basic 8 to 9 characters of the story. Jackson has indicated that there will be development in the next one as each character is going on their own adventures, especially where Aragorn is concerned. To those who missed out, I, like the majority of the reviewers, recommend this film. Expand
  83. MichelleP.
    Oct 21, 2002
    Man, was this movie great. It seemed to have everything I liked in it. And, even though it wasn't as faithful, it seemed to capture the spirit and magic of the book better than "Harry Potter" could. I just don't get the people who gave it bad reviews. One person said the movie was too violent. Geez! What were they expecting? A happy little fairy tale? No. The thing about "Lord Man, was this movie great. It seemed to have everything I liked in it. And, even though it wasn't as faithful, it seemed to capture the spirit and magic of the book better than "Harry Potter" could. I just don't get the people who gave it bad reviews. One person said the movie was too violent. Geez! What were they expecting? A happy little fairy tale? No. The thing about "Lord of the Rings" is that it takes fantasy elements seriously. One said it was too scary and violent for children. Eh, HELLO! Did you, or did you not notice the PG-13 rating?! And that's a parental guidance opinion for crying out loud... One of my favorite things about this movie was Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin. They were just so...well, cute! Another thing I savored about this movie (and book) was the dark story.... so suspenseful, breathtaking, I LOVE it! Expand
  84. H.S.
    Jan 2, 2002
    This is a great movie! Some say that the actors aren't convincing (e.g. Mr. Steven Rea of the Philadelphia Inquirer calling Wood's Frodo a wuss), but that may be because they had read the trilogy, and have a certain expectation as to how the characters are. I haven't read the books, so to me, it makes sense that Wood's Frodo, who is supposed to be a friendly Hobbit, This is a great movie! Some say that the actors aren't convincing (e.g. Mr. Steven Rea of the Philadelphia Inquirer calling Wood's Frodo a wuss), but that may be because they had read the trilogy, and have a certain expectation as to how the characters are. I haven't read the books, so to me, it makes sense that Wood's Frodo, who is supposed to be a friendly Hobbit, acts like a wuss. I guess ignorance is bliss. I must say Viggo Mortensen is way cool and perfect for the role, much like Hugh Jackman in X-Men (Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oy Oy Oy!) Expand
  85. Realone
    Dec 4, 2002
    It's a very special movie. The movie is very good.
  86. BrianF.
    Jan 7, 2002
    By far the most imaginative film I have seen on the big screen since Star Wars was rereleased in 97. I was kind of interested in Hary Potter, seeing as the books were entertaining. But after that dissappointment of that film, I was a little afraid to get excited about Lord of the Rings. They were not my favorite books. But Jackson completely laid to rest any of my fears, showing that he By far the most imaginative film I have seen on the big screen since Star Wars was rereleased in 97. I was kind of interested in Hary Potter, seeing as the books were entertaining. But after that dissappointment of that film, I was a little afraid to get excited about Lord of the Rings. They were not my favorite books. But Jackson completely laid to rest any of my fears, showing that he is more than capable of bringing a book to the screen. Expand
  87. T.B.
    Feb 12, 2002
    This was the greatest movie I ever saw. I can hardly wait until it is on VHS.
  88. LucasC.
    Feb 26, 2002
    I really loved this movie. It was a beautifully recreated movie of the epic novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. The only disappointment (which didn't affect my vote much) was [Ed: potential spoiler omitted]. There were a few other instances in the movie where it did not follow the book, but that did not stop me from seeing nine times(which will probably be ten quite soon). As I have said before I really loved this movie. It was a beautifully recreated movie of the epic novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. The only disappointment (which didn't affect my vote much) was [Ed: potential spoiler omitted]. There were a few other instances in the movie where it did not follow the book, but that did not stop me from seeing nine times(which will probably be ten quite soon). As I have said before I really loved this movie and it was created exactly like most people imagined it thanks to Peter Jackson (all us Tolkien buffs appreciated your lovely work. Thanks again)! Expand
  89. MarianC.
    Feb 6, 2002
    This is the greatest film ever made in the English language -- which means the greatest film ever made. It is a thing of beauty and will be a joy forever.
  90. ShubachiC.
    Mar 1, 2002
    Awesome! I read the book as well previously though the movie lacks some of the imaginative material in your imagination, its got cool effects!
  91. JustinR.
    Mar 19, 2002
    What people don't realize is that this movie is a PART of a TRILOGY. It isn't supposed to have an Finite ending. It 's supposed to leave you wanting more. And it did just that.
  92. FrancisJosephC.
    Mar 26, 2002
    Best movie of last year... the true Best Picture winner in any cinephile's heart. This is the true movie experience. Great script, cinematography, score, acting, directing... just perfect!
  93. CarolinaO.
    Mar 29, 2002
    I love this movie! It's exactly how a "fairytail" movie should be, and the actors are great!
  94. K.M.
    Apr 7, 2002
    Only kids would like it eh Jared? Oh yeah, that's why it's PG-13. Doomas. And that's why it was nominated for Best Picture, the Academy is made up of adults. Again, doomas.
  95. SteveM.
    May 11, 2002
    After seeing this film and reveling in its magnificent vision and nobility, one pauses to think what idiocy overtook the Academies to give A Beautiful Mind the best picture. I can only conclude 1) Mythic epic is unacceptable; 2) Envy at the tremendous success; 3) expectation of giving it an award next year or its third; 4) JUST PLAIN STUPIDITY. I think 1 2 and 4 apply. The Lord of the After seeing this film and reveling in its magnificent vision and nobility, one pauses to think what idiocy overtook the Academies to give A Beautiful Mind the best picture. I can only conclude 1) Mythic epic is unacceptable; 2) Envy at the tremendous success; 3) expectation of giving it an award next year or its third; 4) JUST PLAIN STUPIDITY. I think 1 2 and 4 apply. The Lord of the Rings will never win best picture and not for worthy reasons. Expand
  96. RegisA.
    May 18, 2002
    EEEEEEE!!!!!!! I can't believe it!!!! BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL film!!!! Seriously, the best FANTASY film I have ever seen (coming from someone who doesn't give a sh*t about this type of film or whatever, or even those Lord of the Rings novels or books, but that was before, I've f.....g CONVERTED!!!). Can't wait for the next two films!!!! Why isn't it December EEEEEEE!!!!!!! I can't believe it!!!! BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL film!!!! Seriously, the best FANTASY film I have ever seen (coming from someone who doesn't give a sh*t about this type of film or whatever, or even those Lord of the Rings novels or books, but that was before, I've f.....g CONVERTED!!!). Can't wait for the next two films!!!! Why isn't it December YET!?!?!?! Expand
  97. FrodoB.
    May 20, 2002
    This should have gotten Best Picture. The photography is absolutly beautiful, the special effects are the best I've ever seen, the plot is totally faithful to the books, and the characters are memorable. Unquestionably one of the best movies of all time. I can't wait for the DVD and the 2nd part!
  98. CadeY.
    May 20, 2002
    I thought it was a wonderfull, fantastic, best, adventureous, outgoing movie I have ever seen. It was great!
  99. PipG.
    May 28, 2002
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!
  100. mZ
    May 3, 2002
    Should have won best pic instead of that manipulative Oscar winner of 2001...

I see it as nearly perfect: It's one of the best fantasy pictures ever made.
  2. An extraordinary work, grandly conceived, brilliantly executed and wildly entertaining. It's a hobbit's dream, a wizard's delight. And, of course, it's only the beginning.
    Above all, Jackson evokes an almost palpable sense of the will to power trapped within the ring. Without this evocation of the ring's insidious ability to sniff out the potential for corruption and capitalize on it, the entire enterprise would be precious drivel.