9.0

1. Sep 23, 2011
    "Lord of the RIngs: The Fellowship of the Ring" may be boring for several people, but nevertheless it is a heart warming epic adventure that certainly is one of the year's best films.
  2. Sep 21, 2011
    A masterpiece. This movie is a work of Art, and it portrays the great book series with excellence and majesty. It is an all time favorite, and my words fail to describe its magnificence.
  3. Nov 4, 2011
    It's magical, emotional, captivating and epic. The Lord of the Rings is not only a literary classic, but thanks to Peter Jackson, it's now a cinematic classic. 4/4 stars.
  4. Mar 17, 2013
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring review

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring review

I have always viewed the Lord of the Rings trilogy as the incarnation of the word epic. It is bathed in moments that will pull out a tear rout of even the manliest of men just by a monologue, a part of the soundtrack, a victory in a battle, a moment were friendship shines. It will make you cheer for the main characters and join them in their journey. I could talk about this masterpiece (yes I refer to the trilogy as one experience) all lifelong, so I will do my best to summarize my feeling in these three parts. My username is pablo2896 in IMDB and Pablo22in Metacritic by the way, so you can visit my three reviews.
    So let’s get to the first one, the first movie. The Fellowship of the Ring tells the story of a young hobbit who is put in an overwhelming quest to rid his land of evil. And for me this is one aspect that makes me tear up a bit, the fact that one so small can squeeze out so much courage from himself. And this is no other than Elijah Wood´s Frodo Baggins. Elijah does an amazing job acting as the main character. So the movie starts with a prologue explaining the founding of the one ring and how its master was defeated long ago. This clearly shows you what sort of a jaw dropping ride you are going into. It shows the amazing achievement of the special effects and the scale of these films. Then we are introduced to Frodo (Elijah Wood), this hobbit lives a perfect live in The Shire, a town were these hobbits live, eat and smoke weed (yes they even say it in the movie). His uncle Bilbo Baggins (Ian Holm) has carried the One Ring for a while, this entity that is consisted of the other half of the soul of Sauron, the evil bad guy. So he leaves it to Frodo who is then given the (almost) impossible task of taking it to the fires of Mt. Doom, the only place it can be destroyed and by doing so, vanquishing evil. And in the mean time Sauron sends his nine wraith to find this ring and kill everybody who goes in their way. Easy, right? Gandalf a powerful wizard, played by no other than Ian McKellen who perfectly portrays you the wisdom, the charm and the power of this conjurer, swears to protect Frodo at all costs in this journey and they take Sam with them, played by Sean Astin (who´s incredible acting and character I will describe in my third review) Frodo’s gardener with them. In their journey they meet some characters like Merry (Dominic Monaghan), Pippin (Billy Boyd) and no other than the badass Aragorn who´s actor Viggo Mortensen plays it amazingly, he is able to make you know he is a badass. So to summarize that part this movie has some of the best character developments I´ve seen in any movie. In the elvish sanctuary Rivendell they form the Fellowship of the Ring, which is consisted by the six characters I mentioned up there and three more, Boromir (a man), Legolas (an elf) and Gimli (a dwarf). Sean Bean, the actor who plays Boromir, does a good job in setting this character´s conflicts and desires for the Ring of power, but it portrays his honor and loyalty also. Legolas and Gimli I thought would be more like filler characters but you feel interest for them and you connect to them immediately. The same can be said for Merry and Pippin. From Rivendell they embark to their destination, Mordor the Land of evil. God, I have to talk about the montage of the Fellowship traveling. It is an epic compilation of amazing landscapes and hair rising soundtrack. This is where I really felt the epicness of the movie. By the way this was pretty much the half of the movie, the buildup. So was it a typical long boring buildup? No, not in its least. They encounter dangers like spying crows sent by Saruman, an evil wizard who sides with Sauron at the beginning of the movie, and a treacherous storm (also sent by Saruman, what a dick) in the middle of a dangerous mountain which forces them to take another path, the Mines of Moria. Gimli explains to them that the dwarves will welcome them in there but he´s WRONG. They get there and the place is a graveyard, a graveyard made from dwarves! So to summarize it they get trapped in there (blame the giant octopus) and now have to get across the dwarven city. Warning: EPICNESS! They soon find out they are not alone, and no other than Pippin (fool of a Took!) wakes up every goblin infesting the mines. This leads to an awesome battle were you are cheering for the Fellowship while it slays goblins and a cave troll! They escape and make a run for the bridge of Khazad Dum with an army of goblins on their backs and an awesome score which is beyond epic. But they realize something else is in those mines. A Balrog. A foe so powerful, only Gandalf can defeat it. They get to the bridge and the wizard faces it. In the most epic moments of the film he takes it down but unfortunately he goes down with it. You feel the loss yourself at this moment, seeing everyone in pain. Ran out of letters! See the rest in IMDB.
  5. Aug 31, 2010
    Its been a while since I read the book, but from what I remember, the movie misses out a few things. But it doesn't matter! This is the perfect fantasy movie. It may be a bit clichéd at times, but that is expected. Watching it for the second (or maybe third) time, I realize how perfect this is, and how every other movie of this genre tries to live up to the bar set so high byIts been a while since I read the book, but from what I remember, the movie misses out a few things. But it doesn't matter! This is the perfect fantasy movie. It may be a bit clichéd at times, but that is expected. Watching it for the second (or maybe third) time, I realize how perfect this is, and how every other movie of this genre tries to live up to the bar set so high by this movie. Expand
  6. Nov 27, 2010
    Possibly the best movie ever. It feels like your seeing the book, I unfortunetly watched the movie then read the book, such a mistake. Visually stunning. Sir Ian Mckellen was brilliant as Gandalf, this movie is almost flawless. That is why I give it a ten. The fools who rate this movie low should be ashamed!
  7. Feb 11, 2012
    A epic adventure masterpiece. I had to watch several times to understand some of the dialogue but when I do understand, it is wonderful well done. I have never read the books but when I was in a bookstore, soon after viewing the movie at the cinemas, I bought the novel.
  8. Jan 9, 2012
    You could easily tell the people that rate the film a 0/10 are either trolling or die hard fans of rival series such as Harry Potter and I pity those shameful morons because this film is excellent and a marvel at its time. When I first watched this film as a kid I have never seen anything like it on movie ever before. It was intense, it was interesting, the soundtrack is excellent and mostYou could easily tell the people that rate the film a 0/10 are either trolling or die hard fans of rival series such as Harry Potter and I pity those shameful morons because this film is excellent and a marvel at its time. When I first watched this film as a kid I have never seen anything like it on movie ever before. It was intense, it was interesting, the soundtrack is excellent and most importantly the ensemble cast was an absolutly perfect. My favourite scene was the council at Rivendell. It is very interesting how each character has their different opinion on the Ring and the best battle sequence was during Moria, of course the Cave Troll made it great. I personally praise the acting of Sean "Boromir Bean, Sean "Samwise" Astin and Ian "Gandalf" Mckellen I thought those 3 stood out because of how dramatic they can act without making a fool of themselves. When the film hit on Dvds and Videos I immediatly bought it along with the other 2 movies in support of the how inspiring and influentional those films were to me. Expand
  9. Sep 1, 2011
    indeed,a fabulous work of art......highly captivating movie .....a great start to a highly acclaimed trilogy of cinema...im anticipating a lot to watch the remaining movies of the trilogy.....
  10. Dec 9, 2011
    For hardcore fans, Peter Jackson's vision of the Middle-Earth may be a disrespect to the source material, but for me, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is the most faithful adaptation you cold ask of. Many people were bored by its length, but I found the first chapter of the trilogy an epic masterpiece.
  11. Dec 2, 2012
    It's surprising when you find one of these rare epics that still manage to captivate and spellbind over such a long period of time. The visuals were absolutely majestic, yet the story managed to unfold with such grace and never dawdled. The actors proved worthy of the role they played and kept up their spirit throughout. It was also nice to feel a little light-heartedness among theIt's surprising when you find one of these rare epics that still manage to captivate and spellbind over such a long period of time. The visuals were absolutely majestic, yet the story managed to unfold with such grace and never dawdled. The actors proved worthy of the role they played and kept up their spirit throughout. It was also nice to feel a little light-heartedness among the fantasy, drama and suspense that occurred. To be honest, I couldn't really point out what was actually bad about it, because it just looks like one of the best fantasy epics ever made. Expand
  12. Jul 28, 2012
    Wonderful movie adaptation of a wonderful tale. I'm very pleased with how the different species all have different movements and with how big the adventure feels.
  13. Jan 20, 2012
    I am happy to see the awarness of the community. Reviews of those people who do not understand epicness and quality of this movie from some reason , are found unhelpfull. On the other hand almost everyone agrees with those who give compliments to this movie , peter jackson , and of course great tolkien. I watched whole trilogy many times and i can only say , that it is the greates trilogyI am happy to see the awarness of the community. Reviews of those people who do not understand epicness and quality of this movie from some reason , are found unhelpfull. On the other hand almost everyone agrees with those who give compliments to this movie , peter jackson , and of course great tolkien. I watched whole trilogy many times and i can only say , that it is the greates trilogy ever. By my opinion all three of these movies are best there is in the movie world. If someone hasnt still watched it , chances are slim but , he should watch it right away , not just this one but whole tirlogy. Thank you community. Expand
  14. Feb 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply put: One of the greatest movies of all time, and an even better start to the cinematic epic that is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Amazing visual effects, a gripping story, full of emotion, and a fantastic performance by Ian McKellen as Gandalf, the Fellowship of the Ring is a great open for J.R.R Tolkien's world of Middle Earth. Yes, Tom Bombadil was left out, but when doing adaptations sacrifices must be made, and even though the inclusion of Bombadil would have done nothing other than strengthen the film even more, the film is already a masterpiece. Expand
  15. Feb 12, 2012
    this is one of the best films ever, i love the storyline, the action sequences, the coolness, everything about it, it doesn't have any faults really.
  16. Mar 15, 2012
    probably one of the best fantasy movies out there,with epic effects,a well made story and the movie followed the book well(although they did leave one epic scene out).The music added to the move was brilliant and perfectly matched with the film.Overall 10/10
  17. Dec 8, 2012
    The Lord of the Rings is a modern day classic, a film series that will live in legend. The first film, The Fellowship of the Ring begins the adventure of Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin and the forming of the fellowship to destroy The One Ring in the fires of Mt Doom. After inherriting a mysterious ring on his uncles 111th birthday, Frodo is warned by the old wizard Gandalf that the ringThe Lord of the Rings is a modern day classic, a film series that will live in legend. The first film, The Fellowship of the Ring begins the adventure of Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin and the forming of the fellowship to destroy The One Ring in the fires of Mt Doom. After inherriting a mysterious ring on his uncles 111th birthday, Frodo is warned by the old wizard Gandalf that the ring possesses an evil power that could bring about the rise of the dark lord Sauron to cast shadow over all of middle earth. As the Hobbits travel to Rivendell they begin a fellowship consisting of many different races from across middle earth who will sacrifice their lives to get this ring to Mordor. Peter Jackson has masterfully transferred Middle Earth from page to screen, making it feel real and incredibly lifelike. A film that everyone should watch Expand
  18. Jun 17, 2012
    This was a FANTASTIC film based on a FANTASTIC book. It is one of the few book-to-film conversions that I approved of and it was great. The casting was spot-on as well.
  19. Dec 4, 2012
    This movie was true to the books. Everything in the movie looked the way I imagined it looking when I read the book long ago when I was a boy. Although, I usually don't like CGI, the CGI in this trilogy is absolutely great. As are the costumes and sets. Gollum is the first CGI character from a serious film that I have liked. It is probably because he was basically a virtual puppet that anThis movie was true to the books. Everything in the movie looked the way I imagined it looking when I read the book long ago when I was a boy. Although, I usually don't like CGI, the CGI in this trilogy is absolutely great. As are the costumes and sets. Gollum is the first CGI character from a serious film that I have liked. It is probably because he was basically a virtual puppet that an actual puppeteer,controlled and they recorded the data points in a computer and then drew the CGI around his movements. Way better than Jar Jar Binks in Start Wars lol! Expand
  20. Sep 17, 2012
    this movie good. me like this movie. i like it lot. you should like too. it good movie. me like it lot. me really like movie cuz movie good. if you no like movie then you is a stupid.
  21. Mar 3, 2013
    This movie in one word: AWESOME. The cast is excellent and the story even so good. I like the story and the film is well directed by Peter Jackson. The creatures are very nice. I love this film a lot. A must see
  22. Oct 5, 2013
    Perfectly directed, adapted, written, acted and orchestrated, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is a near perfect film in my eyes. From the sequence on the Shire to the final scene in the film, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is briskly paced, completely engaging and emotionally powerful. This film is my all time favourite!
  23. Mar 29, 2014
    The first adaption of The Lord of the Rings is a great start to an epic trilogy. It might drag a little at the beginning, so I wouldn't say the movies are for everyone, but when it does get into some action it is amazingly done! There is also good drama and some cool characters. The Fellowship of the Ring is fantastic!
  24. Dec 4, 2013
    To describe this movie as merely epic would be a gross understatement. As epic movies go, it has all the diverse conflicted characters, fighting against insurmountable odds, clash of interests, difficult decisions concerning life and death, matters of the heart and so on.

The movie starts off with an introduction to the present conflict pervading Middle Earth. Sauron is established as the main villain. Not much is shown about his past. We do not know why these people are fighting against each other. You'll have to read The Hobbit or The Silmarillion to catch up on that. The rest of the first half hour is used to establish the abode of the Hobbits, The Shire.

Then the pace picks up as the main characters leave and we get to witness the vast abundance of Middle Earth, and its people and races including the Elves, who are the most intriguing of them all.

Aragorn, also called Strider, is the action go to guy. Far from home and not ever wishing to return, he literally strides into the story and takes command. He is the person most people would form a bond with, I know I did. Then there are others like Legolas, an elf; and the dwarf Gimli. They form the core among the group. And Boromir the son of the steward of Gondor, whose family has taken care of the affairs of the state with the departure of the last of the kings. Gandalf the grey, a member of the order of wizards, is the old guy counselling and protecting our protagonist, Frodo Baggins, on his quest to destroy the ring that can wield a power greater than any other.

Their journey is perilous, the odds pitted against them deadly. The Ringwraiths, servants of the Dark Lord Sauron, seek to return the ring of power to their master and cannot rest until they have done their duty. The Orcs or Goblins, a dark twisted species, are the footsoldiers of the evil side. As if this was not enough, the ring has the power to influence those around it toward claiming it for themselves and fight to the death for it. As Frodo's uncle Bilbo was the previous owner of the ring, it is felt that he would be better able to withstand its effects.

Peter Jackson has the talent to capture the sense of the epic with the camera angles he employs. Always in fear of failure to grasp the location of the visited places and their relativity to each other, I was amazed how easily everything became clear. The special effects were revolutionary for its time. The art department did a commendable job with the sets, costumes and make-up. The locations used for shooting were serene and exquisite, making me want to visit New Zealand where it was shot. The score did a wonderful job keeping you on the edge of your seat and never letting you really relax and lose the sense of urgency, though the greater credit for that feat has to go to the editor. I also watched the extended version of the film, so I can understand the decision to cut out several scenes of relative unimportance to the plot, but I found their presence to be complementary and fulfilling.

Fantasy movies are always hard to do right. People watching them are willing to be swept off their feet, yet slight inconsistencies could be disastrous. Jackson commits none of those mistakes. Fellowship is my favourite from the trilogy, as it focussed more on the characters. The major battles are part of the sequels, which some might find more alluring. This is a fantasy movie which was done perfectly, in my opinion, and the others in the genre should be held against it for comparison.

Extended edition felt more satisfying. Lady Galadriel had more scenes with the main characters, so did Aragorn and Boromir talking and arguing with each other. A bit of Galadriel's palace was shown. In the final skirmish with the Orcs, Boromir's and Aragorn's scenes were increased, making the sequences which felt rushed before more fleshed out and satisfying. A bit of humour was added too.
  25. Dec 29, 2014
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is a phenomenal beginning to a phenomenal trilogy. This movie nails every single aspect that it has perfectly. This is one of my favorite movies of all time.
  26. Aug 9, 2011
    This movie is the beginning of the best trilogy ever and it's so good! It brings humor, sad moments, intense battles and solid performances. Every character can be appreciated because they are all likable. This movie is ridiculously good
  27. Apr 1, 2012
    I'm coming to rate this movie because I remember when I first saw it in theaters years ago it is the only time while in a movie ever that I wished it wasn't over. It was enthralling and the film is just absolutely incredible. I cannot think of any movie since that I felt that way. Amazing story, great action, lots of different creatures... everything feels so real. You must see this!
  28. May 26, 2012
    Fellowship it has dazzling visual effects, great action and fantastic performances to spare, and manages to be as visually powerful as it is emotionally. I give this movie 96%.
  29. Aug 9, 2011
    LOTR destroyed my life . Why? Because i will never see such a perfect film ever.This trilogy will hard find its equal

I see it as nearly perfect: It's one of the best fantasy pictures ever made.
  2. An extraordinary work, grandly conceived, brilliantly executed and wildly entertaining. It's a hobbit's dream, a wizard's delight. And, of course, it's only the beginning.
    Above all, Jackson evokes an almost palpable sense of the will to power trapped within the ring. Without this evocation of the ring's insidious ability to sniff out the potential for corruption and capitalize on it, the entire enterprise would be precious drivel.