9.0

1. KeithE.
    Sep 20, 2003
    The first installment of the classic series the Lord Of The Rings was cinematically beautiful and awe inspiring. The battle scenes were very enjoyable. The creatures of Tolkien's world were well portrayed and believable. I would have chosen someone other than Elijah Wood to portray Froto, but Wood played his part well. Fabulous movie and left most viewers awaiting more.
  2. MattL.
    Jan 28, 2005
    This is the movie that started the mother of all movie trilogies. Filmmaking will never be the same. Visually stunning, emotionally riveting, and dramatically inspiring.
  3. Anonymous
    Jun 8, 2005
    A great start to a great trilogy. Never bores you. Despite all the mythicism surrounding him, Frodo is a character almost anybody can relate to. The battles are great, but Moria's where it really shines. Scenery is great. Start here and work you way through. It only gets better.
  4. VictorG
    May 4, 2010
    This is my favourite movie of all Time & by saying so i don't need to give any details or reasons.
  5. JoeyV.
    Jan 10, 2002
    I started reading the book like 3 years ago, it seemed boring and extremely discriptive for my taste, any way, I thought I was only about magicians and elves and dwarfs, nothing big...I was sooo wrong. I saw the movie and it really involved me into it...it's about honor and pride and friendship and human values that are vanishing right now. Great effects, excellent acting roles, I started reading the book like 3 years ago, it seemed boring and extremely discriptive for my taste, any way, I thought I was only about magicians and elves and dwarfs, nothing big...I was sooo wrong. I saw the movie and it really involved me into it...it's about honor and pride and friendship and human values that are vanishing right now. Great effects, excellent acting roles, brilliant music...I couln't have asked more. Expand
  6. RichardG.
    Oct 4, 2002
    Very GOOD!!, this movie depicts everything which one would expect in this type of genre. The acting is splended, the lighting is great, the fights and of course the plot is fantastic. Definitely one to see, and it leaves you wanting more & more & more.....
  7. *~SuGa_BaBi~*
    Apr 15, 2002
    Original, exciting, riveting and entertaining...brings the book to life...all tha actors, music, special effects, and scenery were brilliant! Truly, a totally mad movie. Couldn't be betta!
  8. EmilyH.
    Jun 6, 2002
    This is one of my favorite movies I don't see how anyone could not like it! Who would be so crazy as to give it a 1 or 0?
  9. JasonV.
    Jul 28, 2002
    Best.. Movie... Ever! The people who "hate" it are just backlashing against the overwhelmingly positive response to this work of art! Much better than A Beautiful Mind, and MUCH MUCH better than Moulin Rouge!
  10. JoshuaW.
    Aug 2, 2002
    Yes, I believe this movie to be excellant. It certainly will go down in the history books as one of the greatest films of all time. It is a different kind of film than "Citizen Kane", but no less important to cinema. That is why there are so many types of film genres. Those out there who have given this movie a rating of 1 or 0 are really just being spoiled sports. O.K., so you Yes, I believe this movie to be excellant. It certainly will go down in the history books as one of the greatest films of all time. It is a different kind of film than "Citizen Kane", but no less important to cinema. That is why there are so many types of film genres. Those out there who have given this movie a rating of 1 or 0 are really just being spoiled sports. O.K., so you didn't like the story or the acting, fine. That's a matter of taste, but this is a film, which means that the story and acting are just a part of it's entirety. Set design, musical score, cinematography, etc.. are also important factors that must be acknowledged when reviewing a film. This movie was and is an excellantly crafted piece of cinema. In my opinion it seemlessly merged the technical aspects with the creative ones. I loved the story, directing, cinematography, acting, special effects, etc.. If you don't agree about the acting or story, well as much as I may dissagree with you that's fine, however it is unjust to give this film such a low rating when it obviously was so well made from a production stand point. It is only fair to acknowledge it's achievements where they are undeniable, regardless of personal preferences. Expand
  11. SimonM.
    Sep 5, 2002
    It was the best movie i have ever seen. i have bought all of the lord of the rings movies gear and i cant wait untill the lord of the rings the two towers comes out, but i know how it ends now because i just finished the books yesterday.
  12. PederD.
    May 2, 2003
    Best movie ever!!!
  13. LlsE.
    Jun 18, 2005
    The best film I have ever seen.
  14. RobbyZ.
    Apr 8, 2010
    Extraordinary. Wondrous to behold.
  15. AndrewJ.F.
    Jan 11, 2002
    Go read a book, Will. Once in your life. Please?
  16. ClaireE.
    Jan 12, 2002
    How can people even begin to call this film boring? Obviously Will's idea of fun is deciding which shade of grey to wear that particular day. This film is amazing, great story, great adaptation, great performances, music and scenery! OK so it has some faults, but being boring is certainly not one of them.
  17. X
    Oct 1, 2002
    When I saw this movie I didn't get all I expected... I got more than I expected. This movie clearly earned the academy awards it won, if not it should have won more. I love the fight scenes and most of the characters. The visual effects were stunning, I liked the work on the Balrog the most. As for the costumes: excellent. As for the soundtrack, a definite must buy for music-lovers. When I saw this movie I didn't get all I expected... I got more than I expected. This movie clearly earned the academy awards it won, if not it should have won more. I love the fight scenes and most of the characters. The visual effects were stunning, I liked the work on the Balrog the most. As for the costumes: excellent. As for the soundtrack, a definite must buy for music-lovers. As for those who have given it less than satisfactory ratings you clearly have poor taste in movies, the patience of kindergarteners, and a lack of appreciation of good movies. Yes the movie is long, big whoop, the book was even longer. All we got was half the book put into three hours, plus the beginning of "The Two Towers" but more was intended but didn't make the final cut. The ending. Ever hear of a "cliffhanger"? no, wait, you don't know what a cliffhanger is cause you're too busy whining over the fact you can't appreciate good movies because of your poor taste. Endings like that are left open to make the audience come back for more. As for character development, who cares? This is THE FIRST PART of the trilogy. All they did was introduce the basic 8 to 9 characters of the story. Jackson has indicated that there will be development in the next one as each character is going on their own adventures, especially where Aragorn is concerned. To those who missed out, I, like the majority of the reviewers, recommend this film. Expand
  18. MichelleP.
    Oct 21, 2002
    Man, was this movie great. It seemed to have everything I liked in it. And, even though it wasn't as faithful, it seemed to capture the spirit and magic of the book better than "Harry Potter" could. I just don't get the people who gave it bad reviews. One person said the movie was too violent. Geez! What were they expecting? A happy little fairy tale? No. The thing about "Lord Man, was this movie great. It seemed to have everything I liked in it. And, even though it wasn't as faithful, it seemed to capture the spirit and magic of the book better than "Harry Potter" could. I just don't get the people who gave it bad reviews. One person said the movie was too violent. Geez! What were they expecting? A happy little fairy tale? No. The thing about "Lord of the Rings" is that it takes fantasy elements seriously. One said it was too scary and violent for children. Eh, HELLO! Did you, or did you not notice the PG-13 rating?! And that's a parental guidance opinion for crying out loud... One of my favorite things about this movie was Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin. They were just so...well, cute! Another thing I savored about this movie (and book) was the dark story.... so suspenseful, breathtaking, I LOVE it! Collapse
  19. TedB.
    Jan 2, 2002
    This was more faithful to the book than I had hoped. My fear was that-- as often happens-- little would remain of the original story. This was a superb retelling of a great story. This is a truly great film.
  20. H.S.
    Jan 2, 2002
    This is a great movie! Some say that the actors aren't convincing (e.g. Mr. Steven Rea of the Philadelphia Inquirer calling Wood's Frodo a wuss), but that may be because they had read the trilogy, and have a certain expectation as to how the characters are. I haven't read the books, so to me, it makes sense that Wood's Frodo, who is supposed to be a friendly Hobbit, This is a great movie! Some say that the actors aren't convincing (e.g. Mr. Steven Rea of the Philadelphia Inquirer calling Wood's Frodo a wuss), but that may be because they had read the trilogy, and have a certain expectation as to how the characters are. I haven't read the books, so to me, it makes sense that Wood's Frodo, who is supposed to be a friendly Hobbit, acts like a wuss. I guess ignorance is bliss. I must say Viggo Mortensen is way cool and perfect for the role, much like Hugh Jackman in X-Men (Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oy Oy Oy!) Expand
  21. Realone
    Dec 4, 2002
    It's a very special movie. The movie is very good.
  22. LaraQ.
    Oct 28, 2002
    The people who gave this movie a 6 or lower, well, I pity him/her. One person complained there was no character development. HELLO! It happened little by little. Only, sadly, some people didn't put any thought into it to see it. I mean, I can see where a person would say this about Aragorn, but when you think about him HARD you'll see his character. He of course, is an extremely The people who gave this movie a 6 or lower, well, I pity him/her. One person complained there was no character development. HELLO! It happened little by little. Only, sadly, some people didn't put any thought into it to see it. I mean, I can see where a person would say this about Aragorn, but when you think about him HARD you'll see his character. He of course, is an extremely skilled warrior, but he also uses his brain, and his heart. But for the most part, you could definitely see character development. The hobbits are another thing as well. Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin in paticular. Frodo is someone we can emphasize with. When he is responsible for the ring, you can tell he's very nervous and scared about this, we'd be the same. Sam, is very loyal, and is easily frightened. Merry and Pippin are both very alike. Both of them a have to take a minute to see what's going on. Someone complained the movie would've been better if it had nudity and sex. I pity that person. That is what makes a movie BAD. And if it had that, that practiacally be betraying the beauty of the book. And the most popular, was that someone said it was a childish plot. PLEASE. Do you think a child could write a story this thorough? Definetly not. Unless the child had an I.Q. of 199. That's another story. And whoever said this was for nerdy people only well, that person must have poor interests, because many non-nerds have loved this movie. I can't believe that proffessor hated it. Either that was someone pretending to be a proffessor, or it was one of the most unlikable proffessors of all time. This movie was quite moving too, especially at the end (someone please hand me a box of kleenex!) See this one! Expand
  23. BrianF.
    Jan 7, 2002
    By far the most imaginative film I have seen on the big screen since Star Wars was rereleased in 97. I was kind of interested in Hary Potter, seeing as the books were entertaining. But after that dissappointment of that film, I was a little afraid to get excited about Lord of the Rings. They were not my favorite books. But Jackson completely laid to rest any of my fears, showing that he By far the most imaginative film I have seen on the big screen since Star Wars was rereleased in 97. I was kind of interested in Hary Potter, seeing as the books were entertaining. But after that dissappointment of that film, I was a little afraid to get excited about Lord of the Rings. They were not my favorite books. But Jackson completely laid to rest any of my fears, showing that he is more than capable of bringing a book to the screen. Expand
  24. T.B.
    Feb 12, 2002
    This was the greatest movie I ever saw. I can hardly wait until it is on VHS.
  25. LucasC.
    Feb 26, 2002
    I really loved this movie. It was a beautifully recreated movie of the epic novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. The only disappointment (which didn't affect my vote much) was [Ed: potential spoiler omitted]. There were a few other instances in the movie where it did not follow the book, but that did not stop me from seeing nine times(which will probably be ten quite soon). As I have said before I really loved this movie. It was a beautifully recreated movie of the epic novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. The only disappointment (which didn't affect my vote much) was [Ed: potential spoiler omitted]. There were a few other instances in the movie where it did not follow the book, but that did not stop me from seeing nine times(which will probably be ten quite soon). As I have said before I really loved this movie and it was created exactly like most people imagined it thanks to Peter Jackson (all us Tolkien buffs appreciated your lovely work. Thanks again)! Expand
  26. MarianC.
    Feb 6, 2002
    This is the greatest film ever made in the English language -- which means the greatest film ever made. It is a thing of beauty and will be a joy forever.
  27. ShubachiC.
    Mar 1, 2002
    Awesome! I read the book as well previously though the movie lacks some of the imaginative material in your imagination, its got cool effects!
  28. JustinR.
    Mar 19, 2002
    What people don't realize is that this movie is a PART of a TRILOGY. It isn't supposed to have an Finite ending. It 's supposed to leave you wanting more. And it did just that.
  29. FrancisJosephC.
    Mar 26, 2002
    Best movie of last year... the true Best Picture winner in any cinephile's heart. This is the true movie experience. Great script, cinematography, score, acting, directing... just perfect!
  30. CarolinaO.
    Mar 29, 2002
    I love this movie! It's exactly how a "fairytail" movie should be, and the actors are great!
  31. K.M.
    Apr 7, 2002
    Only kids would like it eh Jared? Oh yeah, that's why it's PG-13. Doomas. And that's why it was nominated for Best Picture, the Academy is made up of adults. Again, doomas.
  32. SteveM.
    May 11, 2002
    After seeing this film and reveling in its magnificent vision and nobility, one pauses to think what idiocy overtook the Academies to give A Beautiful Mind the best picture. I can only conclude 1) Mythic epic is unacceptable; 2) Envy at the tremendous success; 3) expectation of giving it an award next year or its third; 4) JUST PLAIN STUPIDITY. I think 1 2 and 4 apply. The Lord of the After seeing this film and reveling in its magnificent vision and nobility, one pauses to think what idiocy overtook the Academies to give A Beautiful Mind the best picture. I can only conclude 1) Mythic epic is unacceptable; 2) Envy at the tremendous success; 3) expectation of giving it an award next year or its third; 4) JUST PLAIN STUPIDITY. I think 1 2 and 4 apply. The Lord of the Rings will never win best picture and not for worthy reasons. Expand
  33. RegisA.
    May 18, 2002
    EEEEEEE!!!!!!! I can't believe it!!!! BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL film!!!! Seriously, the best FANTASY film I have ever seen (coming from someone who doesn't give a sh*t about this type of film or whatever, or even those Lord of the Rings novels or books, but that was before, I've f.....g CONVERTED!!!). Can't wait for the next two films!!!! Why isn't it December EEEEEEE!!!!!!! I can't believe it!!!! BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL film!!!! Seriously, the best FANTASY film I have ever seen (coming from someone who doesn't give a sh*t about this type of film or whatever, or even those Lord of the Rings novels or books, but that was before, I've f.....g CONVERTED!!!). Can't wait for the next two films!!!! Why isn't it December YET!?!?!?! Expand
  34. FrodoB.
    May 20, 2002
    This should have gotten Best Picture. The photography is absolutly beautiful, the special effects are the best I've ever seen, the plot is totally faithful to the books, and the characters are memorable. Unquestionably one of the best movies of all time. I can't wait for the DVD and the 2nd part!
  35. CadeY.
    May 20, 2002
    I thought it was a wonderfull, fantastic, best, adventureous, outgoing movie I have ever seen. It was great!
  36. PipG.
    May 28, 2002
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!
  37. mZ
    May 3, 2002
    Should have won best pic instead of that manipulative Oscar winner of 2001...
  38. CaseyT.
    May 3, 2002
    All I have to say is that Lord of the Rings is the best movie I've ever seen and the only movies that I can think of right now that can surpass the first part of LOTR is Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. P.S. After a month I'm still ashamed at the Academy for giving A Beautiful Mind best picture over this.
  39. KatieG.
    May 4, 2002
    I must say this is the best movie in the entire history of movies, next December is way to long to wait for the next one and in two decembers is definitely too long to wait for the last one. I love this movie!!!!
  40. GregB.
    Jun 23, 2002
    Quit looking so much into the movie and just sit back and enjoy it. This was a great movie to enjoy with plenty of great scenes. Quit raping the movie and just watch it for once.
  41. EricM.
    Jun 6, 2002
    Utterly astounding cinematography, graphics, and amazingly faithful to the books. As for character developement, I wish the few that complain about the movie in this regard would realise that this movie is merely the first segment in a trilogy. Thus the character developement takes place over the ENTIRE series. Not just a single film.
  42. DominicM.
    Jul 24, 2002
    Fantastic movie - best i've seen - I saw it 3 times!
  43. KarlE.
    Jul 30, 2002
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. If you thought the character development was bad, you are obviously not too much of a fan of READING. The books that this movie is based on were amazing, and this film almost lives up to them. All in all I find that the people who write the bad reviews seem to be self important nimrods who have no appreciation for fantasy, and instead hide behind One of the best movies I have ever seen. If you thought the character development was bad, you are obviously not too much of a fan of READING. The books that this movie is based on were amazing, and this film almost lives up to them. All in all I find that the people who write the bad reviews seem to be self important nimrods who have no appreciation for fantasy, and instead hide behind their scorn for a movie based on, pff, CHILDREN'S books. Expand
  44. RosieK.
    Jul 6, 2002
    The first order of bussiness is to agree with Steve M. Mr Ed.B must not have comprehended this movie well, I believe it portrayed images from the book very well. There is little insight of the characters, however, I wouldn't have wanted the writers to launch off into the entire Lord of the Rings background. In some movies, this is a great quality. Lord of the Rings is about as far The first order of bussiness is to agree with Steve M. Mr Ed.B must not have comprehended this movie well, I believe it portrayed images from the book very well. There is little insight of the characters, however, I wouldn't have wanted the writers to launch off into the entire Lord of the Rings background. In some movies, this is a great quality. Lord of the Rings is about as far from a pretentious movie as Forrest Gump. Expand
  45. JessicaP.
    Jul 9, 2002
    Great film! I watched it over and over again when it came out at theaters! Orlando Bloom who portrays Legolas the elf is so HOTT! The action was suspensful and thrilling. The effects were really something. but something is wrong. A beautiful Mind shouldn't have beaten Lord of the Rings at the Awards Ceremony!!!! THATS JUST TOTAL WRONG!
  46. JamesB.
    Aug 10, 2002
    An excellent adaption of the first book of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It was the best movie I've ever seen and without a doubt the best movie of the year. In addition, on the release of the film, the second DVD full of special features was incredible. I was made even more anxious when I viewed the previews of the Special Extended edition of the movie and the Two Towers. Although An excellent adaption of the first book of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It was the best movie I've ever seen and without a doubt the best movie of the year. In addition, on the release of the film, the second DVD full of special features was incredible. I was made even more anxious when I viewed the previews of the Special Extended edition of the movie and the Two Towers. Although a person who is not a fan of the books may not appreciate the second release of the movie with extra footage (or, on a second note, be able to understand the plot with one viewing of the movie), I cannot wait for it's release in November. Although it's hard to imagine, the next installment of the trilogy is said to be much better than the first. I am anxiously awaiting the release of the second film which is part of this extraordinary labor of love. Expand
  47. KellyH.
    Aug 24, 2002
    My fave characters were Legolas and Aragorn by far. I love this movie and can't wait for the next two!
  48. FayeG.
    Sep 11, 2002
    I LOVED IT!!!!!!
  49. MeghanK.
    Sep 29, 2002
    It was awesome. The actors did a great job in making each of their characters interesting and I really felt as if the Shire and the Hobbits and the whole land of Middle Earth was a real place. I love this movie, I also was happy to see that the movie did not totaly destroy the point of the book.
  50. Starfox
    Dec 10, 2003
    Quite simply one of the greatest films ever made. Slightly better than part two. Now bring on number three!
  51. Robert
    Jan 2, 2003
    I'm not a huge fan of the series, but I have to say that this movie was amazing.
  52. JazG.
    Oct 25, 2003
    An incredible achievement in filmmaking.
  53. FeliciaN.
    Mar 23, 2003
    LOTR was a spectacular film. This movie is truly the best film ever made in my opinion. I'm still in awe of the characters and the effects were amazingly well done. I have to give this movie a bonus(11/10)Excellent! Masterpiece!
  54. RyanW
    Oct 20, 2004
    I think this was the greatest movie ever It was so much better than that Harry Potter junk. this movie was so exciting and once I saw the first one I couldn't wait to see what the ending was. so peace brother.
  55. MikeC.
    Feb 7, 2004
    This is the best of three, if you ask me. The strong story more than makes up for the less epic battle scenes. Here the ring is sinister and menacing and the quest to destroy it means something. In addition the story is much stronger and better written than in the sequels.
  56. JohnO.
    Mar 10, 2004
    This might just as well be the the best film ever made. Setting a new standard for motion picture, this is one of those movies that will become a classic, just like Jaws, Psycho and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Except that this one's better. Much better.
  57. richardf.
    Jan 11, 2005
    The new star wars for the 21st century. One of the most perfect films ever made. Screenplay, Directing, Editing, Costume, Casting, special effects all mold together seamlessly to create an istant masterpeice that is going to imitated for years to come.
  58. JeffZ.
    May 2, 2006
    The whole series is the best, but the first movie is the most faithful of the bunch. a better fantasy epic than star wars. why roger ebert thinks harry potter and star wars is better is beyond me.
  59. DudeP
    Apr 10, 2009
    Prolly the greatest movie of alltime. The fellowship was the best of all three lord of the rings movies.
  60. ConnorM
    Sep 5, 2009
    Simply; one of the best films of all time. This is my favorite of the 3 (and the other 2 weren't too shabby). Everything from the acting, to the script, to the action was just superb. Sir Ian McKellen was amazing and I can't wait for his next appearence in "The Hobbit".
  61. JonH.
    Dec 19, 2001
    Finally, a film that makes good on its promises. Nearly perfect in every way. Thank you, thank you, Mr. Jackson.
  62. Andrew
    Dec 19, 2001
    I cannot even begin to say enough about how fantastic this movie was. Jackson has finally, FINALLY, lent a TON of credibility to this intensely creative genre of film. There are movies that you watch, and there are movies that you EXPERIENCE, and this is truly one that immerses you in the world it delivers and allows you an experience...and these are the best movies of all time.
  63. PederD.
    Dec 21, 2001
    Best movie ever!!!
  64. SamF
    Mar 23, 2010
    This film is a breathtaking, awe inspiring masterpiece of cinema.
  65. GaryF.
    Nov 17, 2002
    Ned is not the man, he's a childish ponse who thinks he's the entire human race. If you dont care about the character's, it's your fault. If you think the story is immature, you're wrong (how the hell is it immature? someone tell me!) The characters are not weak: the elves are ponses, okay (but you'd think then ned would identify with them!) but then at least Ned is not the man, he's a childish ponse who thinks he's the entire human race. If you dont care about the character's, it's your fault. If you think the story is immature, you're wrong (how the hell is it immature? someone tell me!) The characters are not weak: the elves are ponses, okay (but you'd think then ned would identify with them!) but then at least two of them is rightful king of the land of men! Not week, is it! Ned needs to get over himself, if he did then he'd see this was a great movie! (by the way, if you come back by having a go at my spellinggrammar then you will know I have won the argument with so little imagination!) Expand
  66. S.J.
    Nov 21, 2002
    I just dare Ned to create an entire world only from his own imagination, to developes races, languages, places.. then to write it in a book, to write other books with stories of these stuffs, then I dare him to make a movie of these books in less than 2 years. If he can, then I'll consider his meaningless rate. I would like to see a "six-year-old" doing the work Peter Jackson did. I just dare Ned to create an entire world only from his own imagination, to developes races, languages, places.. then to write it in a book, to write other books with stories of these stuffs, then I dare him to make a movie of these books in less than 2 years. If he can, then I'll consider his meaningless rate. I would like to see a "six-year-old" doing the work Peter Jackson did. Rating this movie beneath 6 shouldn't be allowed for this movie. I just NEVER seen a movie with such a perfect casting, with incredible music and ambiance, and with such landscape. It just drops the new star wars way behind. Expand
  67. PaulM.
    Nov 22, 2002
    Deserves ever score of 10 and nothing less. On September 11th, 2001, the world changed forever. No longer did I feel the comfort of a safe country, a safe home. Nothing mattered any more except for the strength, support, and love of friends. And that is what the Lord of the Rings is about. It is a story of the human spirit told through the struggle to ward off a foe unseen. It has very Deserves ever score of 10 and nothing less. On September 11th, 2001, the world changed forever. No longer did I feel the comfort of a safe country, a safe home. Nothing mattered any more except for the strength, support, and love of friends. And that is what the Lord of the Rings is about. It is a story of the human spirit told through the struggle to ward off a foe unseen. It has very deep values and morals throughout, with very powerful messages. The message that even using a dark power with good intentions, that power can and will corrupt. This is also the story of friendship, faithfulness, and forgiveness. In the bonds between the characters, and the struggles of the characters, they ask each others forgiveness, and apologize to one another when they fail. This film spoke volumes to me with many underlying themes such as those. Beyond that, the experience of the film was such that I have never seen before. What I saw wasn't perfect, but the flaws are forgiveable. The length isn't a problem, because they were able to capture more of the book and I'm thankful for that. For a long time I wondered how audiences felt seeing the original Star Wars and changing the world of film, as I was born the year that the Empire Struck Back, and I believe that I have just witnessed just such an event, and felt those emotions. This picture had an effect on me and I loved the whole thing. Expand
  68. ArwenII
    Nov 26, 2002
    One of the best movies I've ever seen. But there's one thing I don't get. First, this movie was at a 95, then it was lowered down to a 94, and it's a 93? Personally, I think someone hacked into this website and was so mad that this movie was too good to have a rating, that they decided to lower its score. I get a lump in my throat just thinking about this movie. It had One of the best movies I've ever seen. But there's one thing I don't get. First, this movie was at a 95, then it was lowered down to a 94, and it's a 93? Personally, I think someone hacked into this website and was so mad that this movie was too good to have a rating, that they decided to lower its score. I get a lump in my throat just thinking about this movie. It had some very emotional moments that made me sob all night. Fantasy is so great. It's too bad that some people just don't appreciate such great imaginations that some brilliant authors (such as J.R.R Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, and Jules Verne) have. Expand
  69. DavisL.
    Nov 27, 2002
    It's a great film alright. But it's got sod all to do with September the bloody 11th.
  70. WarrenD.
    Jan 2, 2002
    Quite simply one of the two or three best fantasy films ever made and one of the best novel to film transitions ever! It restores a genuine sense of WOW to the cinema. What an achievement for all concerned.
  71. EricH.
    Jan 20, 2002
    Fellowship Of The Ring isn't so much an adaptation as it builds and fleshes out the gray areas of the book. Peter Jackson has outdone himself - visually the movie is stunning, the details warrant repeated viewings, and the dialogue and flow goes over 3 hours without one moment of boredom.
  72. DonO.
    Jan 23, 2002
    Editor, I loved "Stars Wars," but I loved Fellowship of the Ring even more. I haven't read the Rings books in 30 years, but this film was so filled with such operatic beauty, such exquisite characters and such courage in the face of outrageous peril that it's now my number-one movie of all time. Star Wars was great ? humorous, slap-dash and filled with amazing special effects, Editor, I loved "Stars Wars," but I loved Fellowship of the Ring even more. I haven't read the Rings books in 30 years, but this film was so filled with such operatic beauty, such exquisite characters and such courage in the face of outrageous peril that it's now my number-one movie of all time. Star Wars was great ? humorous, slap-dash and filled with amazing special effects, but it was, to be honest, only the world's best Saturday afternoon matinee. As serious film, it doesn't even come close to the Fellowship of the Ring. Expand
  73. IanW.
    Dec 4, 2002
    They have somehow managed the seemingly impossible, they have improved upon the book!! (removed scenes that would not work on film and added extra "continuity"). WONDERFUL!!!
  74. JeniK.
    Dec 4, 2002
    To neone who keeps moaning that its a too long movie......if Jackson had made all three in one go and released all three movies as one...ud just be moaning that it was longer and suggest they split it into 3 movies. i thought the movie wa brilliant, gr8 choice of characters adn brilliant script, sound effects and special effects. if u havent seen it see it......12 out of ten if poss!!!
  75. SylvainG.
    Jan 27, 2002
    Fellowship is a really great movie, that is both grand scale action and intimate moments of friendship and love. Against all odds, Jackson has succeeded in bringing a masterpiece to life!
  76. ThaSilencer
    Dec 7, 2002
    Hey Ned, before saying anything you really MUST make a movie from a book that is over a 1000 pages long and has tens of millions of fans. The goal is to make the movie in an incredibly short time with incredible effects, sound and all the other stuff. After that should you give this movie such a dumb rating. "acting was mediocre" umm, actually all the actors made an amazing job on their Hey Ned, before saying anything you really MUST make a movie from a book that is over a 1000 pages long and has tens of millions of fans. The goal is to make the movie in an incredibly short time with incredible effects, sound and all the other stuff. After that should you give this movie such a dumb rating. "acting was mediocre" umm, actually all the actors made an amazing job on their characters. the only fact they might seem dull is because there are 9 main characters plus lots of others. I think that even with those 9 characters Jackson made a really good job on describing them. "immature fantasy" - boy aren't you mature. most of things on our lives are really simple, why should we make fuss about that. if you have'nt read the books i suggest you do as well before judging this movie. as you will see it is just an ecranization of the book. the story behind all that is much more complex. It is just like any other thing in this world - looks simple at first but with little more attention put into it, a lot more things come up. Also about six-year-olds: did you tell anything like that to your babysitter at that age? did your story make your babysitter image that rich and beautiful world you were talking about? Battle scenes in this movie are really cool. I went to the premiere and 11 more times after that, and each time when Aragorn finished fighting with an orc the studio was applauding. All the battles in this movie are just as good as those in Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, etc... From the depths of my soul I scream NED DOES NOT WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT!!!! Expand
  77. June
    Jan 28, 2002
    WOW... the best movie ever! The Hobbits are just the best in the whole movie! I am really looking forward to the next two videos:)
  78. DanielleG.
    Jan 31, 2002
    I can't see how anyone could NOT have liked this. It was brilliantly coordinated and the special effects were done so beautifully. The cast is perfect. Orlando Bloom is absolute eye candy (but that?s not the only thing that makes this movie good). Just go see it, what else is there to say? I'm buying the DVD and seeing the next 2!
  79. RowanA.
    Jan 30, 2002
    Great!!!
  80. KarlD.
    Jan 4, 2002
    I have to give a 10+++ (as I watched it already 3 times) for the movie I was expecting for months. I truly remained without breath fot the whole 3 hours and enjoyed every second of it. The myth of the great mind of J.R.R. Tolkien finally came to life with this truly remarkable masterpiece of filmaking. I have never seen such good visuals in my life, and after I have read the books of the I have to give a 10+++ (as I watched it already 3 times) for the movie I was expecting for months. I truly remained without breath fot the whole 3 hours and enjoyed every second of it. The myth of the great mind of J.R.R. Tolkien finally came to life with this truly remarkable masterpiece of filmaking. I have never seen such good visuals in my life, and after I have read the books of the Lord of the Rings, I realised how well the whole book was recreated superbly on screen. The scenery is truly spectecular and breathtaking, compliments to Peter Jackson's New Zealand and his great talent. The soundtrack is also marvellous. I hope this film will be rewarded for its greatness. It is a great epic of fantasy and adventure, and without any doubt, one of the or the best film of the year. I do not mind people critsicing harshly the film because I do believe they don't know a damn about the books of Tolkien. Please don't try to compare it to Star Wars, maybe it was written 40 years later!! The Fellowship of the Ring is a dream come true thanks to Tolkien's genius and Peter Jackson's talent. Flawless! Can't wait a year and two to see the other movies, then I guess I have to put myself on dvds! Expand
  81. ValH.
    Feb 9, 2002
    This movie was awsome. They special effects and photography are excellent. I have seen the movie 5 times and I can't wait till it comes to DVD. I also can't wait for the sequels. Ian McKellen gave an extraordinary preformance as Gandalf the Grey and Elijah Wood protrade Frodo Baggins astoundingly. They coundn't have found anyone better. Lord of The Rings rules!!
  82. MikeV.
    Mar 14, 2002
    One of the greatest movies ever made.
  83. LisaW.
    Mar 27, 2002
    I think Peter Jackson did a wonderful job with the movie. It was definitely the best movie I have ever seen.
  84. NickiT.
    Mar 30, 2002
    I loved it, I'd give it an 11 out of 10 if it were possible.
  85. KeithW.
    Mar 31, 2002
    Brilliant!!
  86. Enkil
    Mar 7, 2002
    Just brilliant. A perfect start for this long awaited trilogy. And I have heard that people complain about "no real ending". Well, just take a look on the world's most popular trilogy Star Wars. Does the first and second have a "real" ending? Nooo...
  87. SuzyQ.
    Mar 7, 2002
    Awesome, awesome, awesome!
  88. JaydebM.
    Apr 1, 2002
    As good an adaptation from book to film as it can get.
  89. Jonas
    Apr 21, 2002
    Same as the other...Two words Olando Bloom.
  90. JohnS.
    Apr 22, 2002
    This movie was great.
  91. JessicaS.
    Apr 27, 2002
    Beautiful film:) imagination actually seems real in Lord Of the Rings. Thank you for an amazing experience, and its only begun!
  92. KaraL.
    Apr 7, 2002
    The scenery was beautiful, the acting was mostly wonderful, and it leaves you wanting more.
  93. Ann-MarieB.
    May 1, 2002
    This is my absolute favorite movie! It deserves a 20/10! Elijah Wood is the best! Whoever gave it a low rating is crazy!!!!
  94. KeshiaB.
    May 15, 2002
    What can I say it was absolutely amazine! I can't wait 2 C the next 2.
  95. RoddickB.
    May 18, 2002
    The most magnificent and best high-fantasy film of all time. Not really THE BEST film of all time, but one of the best, and definitely the LORD of its genre. Breathtaking visuals and cinematography, stunning sets and landscapes, beautiful score, flawless acting, I can't wait for the next two films!
  96. ArwenElvenprincess
    Jun 13, 2002
    This is the most beautiful movie i have ever seen. I can't wait for the next one.
  97. JBW.
    Jun 15, 2002
    Its in my top 3 favorite movies and i think whoever doesnt like it is an idiot!!!!!!! I've read all the books and they are great!I can't wait to see The Two Towers and The Return of the King.
  98. StineE.
    Jun 2, 2002
    I've read the book, and the movie was even better than I expected!!!!!
  99. LauraW.
    Jun 24, 2002
    It iz the best film i have eva seen in my whole life and i can't wait 4 the nxt! the scenery iz amazing and every word iz true 2 tolkiens epic book.
  100. AndrewS.
    Jun 27, 2002
    There is no question about this being the absolute best movie of all time. It succeeds in everything it does. I admit that seeing the movie before I read book was a mistake, but it didn't stop me from loving this movie! I saw it again after the read and the book, I had a new respect for it. The movie is visually mind-blowing, the acting is the best I've seen in any movie, the There is no question about this being the absolute best movie of all time. It succeeds in everything it does. I admit that seeing the movie before I read book was a mistake, but it didn't stop me from loving this movie! I saw it again after the read and the book, I had a new respect for it. The movie is visually mind-blowing, the acting is the best I've seen in any movie, the story soars above any other, and the movie itself just rocks! It was robbed blind at the Oscars. It should have won everything it was nominated for. The Academy doesn't know what the hell they're doing. What does a movie have to do to get recognized? For crying out loud! The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is (needless to say) unbeatable! Expand

I see it as nearly perfect: It's one of the best fantasy pictures ever made.
  2. An extraordinary work, grandly conceived, brilliantly executed and wildly entertaining. It's a hobbit's dream, a wizard's delight. And, of course, it's only the beginning.
    Above all, Jackson evokes an almost palpable sense of the will to power trapped within the ring. Without this evocation of the ring's insidious ability to sniff out the potential for corruption and capitalize on it, the entire enterprise would be precious drivel.