The Machine

7.2

1. Apr 27, 2014
    Although not perfect, worth a look! This movie kept me captivated the entire way through with all its twist and turns. I would have given this film a high score if it had given just a little more. It felt it should have longer, the story/plot has a lot of potential but makes due within its budget.
  2. Aug 15, 2014
    I liked this movie and I'm very critical of movies, esp. Sci-Fi. Was it Blade Runner or Matrix? No, but it was enjoyable and had a good ending. It's worth a watch even though the critics didn't like it.
  3. Sep 16, 2014
    I am not much into sci-fi and so bought this movie cheap on DVD and didn't bother getting the Blu Ray, but now I really regret this as it has become one of my favourite movies. The film kept my attention through out. It deserved a bigger budget, but did very well with what it had.
  4. Jul 22, 2014
    A Dark Menacing Gem of a Film
    Use of darkness to focus attention was unique. Nice menacing dark undertone that is lacking in so many optimistic films of the future. The combination of believable actors, story and excellent - but not overbearing CGI - all combined to make this film deserving of your attention. Caity Lotz was freakishly beautiful and menacing at once. Bravo.
  5. Sep 18, 2014
    The Machine tries for a hard science fiction story about artificial intelligence more honestly than what a large studio would produce, and it mostly succeeds. Read @EinRand's comment about the visuals if you watch this movie a second time. In comparison, I thought that the audio art was done poorly; the synth music score and baby doll voice were symbolic but ultimately distracting.
  6. Nov 1, 2015
    An unusual low budget sci-fi, but they use the budget very well. Very realistic in its depiction of near future technology and well acted by all players. Its dark, understated and a bit depressing in typical British fashion. The UK Ministry of Defence is always way more sinister than its US equivalent. A bit on the slow side but Its worth it. Toby Stephens I'd like to see more of.
  7. Jun 2, 2014
    Simply and most extraordinary, The Machine is one of the best Sci-Fi in recent memory, the movie is intelligent, it is a provoking masterpiece, despite conflicted reviews.
  8. Feb 18, 2016
    This is an interesting movie, both visually and intellectually. It's much better than Transcendence with Johnny Depp, because this one actually follows through with the idea of a human, partially resurrected as a machine. Not in a Cyborg, Six-Million Dollar Man kind of way, but very different. She is a machine, but she evolves through the movie and that's what is important. When you get toThis is an interesting movie, both visually and intellectually. It's much better than Transcendence with Johnny Depp, because this one actually follows through with the idea of a human, partially resurrected as a machine. Not in a Cyborg, Six-Million Dollar Man kind of way, but very different. She is a machine, but she evolves through the movie and that's what is important. When you get to the end, the message is clear. Our time is up and it the future belongs to the machines. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Robert Abele
    Apr 24, 2014
    Even with a cut-and-dried approach to characterization and the issue of man-made consciousness, The Machine percolates with an elegantly palpable sense of wonder and danger.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Apr 23, 2014
    Closer to “Her” in its musing on human/machine connectivity, while also incorporating the dystopian and action-thriller aspects of “Blade Runner” and its ilk, albeit on a much smaller scale, the pic will divide fantasy fans, some of whom will give it props for breaking somewhat from genre formula, while others will be disappointed by the largely budgetary limits of its imagination.
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew Lapin
    Apr 23, 2014
    The Machine is small science fiction. In a genre that openly invites invention, it barely bothers.