Miramax Films | Release Date: August 1, 2003
8.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 29 Ratings
WATCH NOW
chuntOct 6, 2005
Excellent film- made better by using unknowns....excellent acting....makes me embarassed to be a Catholic....and they did not close until 1998!
0 of 0 users found this helpful
SarahO.Jul 22, 2006
I was shocked at the abuse that went on in this movie but its one of the best movies I've ever seen.Acting was nothing short then superb and well done to Peter Mullan. Excellent movie!
0 of 0 users found this helpful
Christopher_G2Jun 20, 2016
"The Magdalene Sisters", directed by Peter Mullan centers on four girls—Margaret, Bernadette, Rose, and Crispina, played respectively by Anne-Marie Duff, Nora-Jane Noone, Dorothy Duffy, and Eileen Walsh—who in puritanical mid-20th century"The Magdalene Sisters", directed by Peter Mullan centers on four girls—Margaret, Bernadette, Rose, and Crispina, played respectively by Anne-Marie Duff, Nora-Jane Noone, Dorothy Duffy, and Eileen Walsh—who in puritanical mid-20th century Ireland are, after certain so-called sinful indiscretions causing the rejection of their families, sent to a strict Catholic reformatory. Also very much should be noted is the role of the head at this place, the very strict twisted Sister Bridget played by Geraldine McEwan. The performances by Walsh and McEwan deserve particular mention, one a kind and unbalanced victim, the other as deliberate, cold victimizer.

“Fallen women” they are supposed to be, but I certainly never saw them as any more than victims of high-and-mighty, ignorant, and often sadistic attempts to take anyone who dare stray the least from societies way (even if may be no fault of their own, as in at least one of the cases) and put them in their place. The stuff found within this movie, disturbing and sometimes strange as it is, and though we’re talking about only the mid-20th Century, historically not that long ago, never came off as the least bit unbelievable to me. It forces one to look at these tough images, never making it easy in the discipline and punishments imposed by the institution. Even one comical scene of apparent levity turns suddenly into a most disquieting unjust sequence for one of the characters. It’s a place where one often needs to fend for themselves, and can even encourage them to turn on each other. Painful as it is, there is some hope as well. I highly recommend this film.