9.0

1. Oct 4, 2011
    Yes, the movie has flaws. But who cares? "The Matrix" is a astonishing movie that is for-your-eyes only. The film has top notch (slo-mo was first introduced by this movie) CGI as well as a well rounded plot. It gives you more than you can ask for from a 1990's action film.
  2. Jul 10, 2011
    An excellent movie with tons of special effects, fight scenes, etc., and the best thing is that they are all done perfectly. A really good film with an interesting story behind it. YOU'LL ENJOY IT.
  3. KevinV.
    Nov 4, 2007
    What a concept! Although the movie is well executed, it is not exceptional. It makes for an entertaining ride.
  4. MikeN.
    Feb 10, 2004
    You see a lot of reviews at Metacritic complaining about how "overrated" such and such a movie is. Well please allow me to nominate The Matrix as the Most Under-rated Movie here. The Matrix is more intelligent, more stylish, more exciting and better looking than any other movie made in the last twenty years. It is probably the best Science Fiction movie ever made, far better than such You see a lot of reviews at Metacritic complaining about how "overrated" such and such a movie is. Well please allow me to nominate The Matrix as the Most Under-rated Movie here. The Matrix is more intelligent, more stylish, more exciting and better looking than any other movie made in the last twenty years. It is probably the best Science Fiction movie ever made, far better than such pretenders as Blade Runner or Forbidden Planet and challenged in stature only by the beauty and mystery of 2001 and by the pure popcorn entertainment of Star Wars. Expand
  5. Feb 10, 2012
    The best thing about the Matrix is the fact that it's such a brilliant, brilliant idea. The world you live in is virtual. In reality, you are an energy source in a jelly sac harvested by a race of machines... It makes me think of so many things... and I thought of whether I would take the blue pill or the red pill... you know, I'd probably take the blue pill.
  6. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, I would give matrix a 9.5 out of 10. Visuals are great, and so are the action sequences. They're really epic, plus they're great to watch. Score is great. The story is also very good to. Acting is really good. Everyone does a great job throughout the movie. Overall, The Matrix is a great sic-fi action blockbuster that a great movie to watch. You really should watch this movie.
  7. SarahK.
    Mar 17, 2003
    I'm suprised at the lack of intelligiance many viewers who gave it bad rating had. For instance, on person thought the idead of alternate worlds was "unimaginative". I'd like to see you think up something like this. "The visual effects were the only good thing about this movie..." First of all, WHY do you think the special effects were there?! To make the movie cooler? NO! They I'm suprised at the lack of intelligiance many viewers who gave it bad rating had. For instance, on person thought the idead of alternate worlds was "unimaginative". I'd like to see you think up something like this. "The visual effects were the only good thing about this movie..." First of all, WHY do you think the special effects were there?! To make the movie cooler? NO! They were apart of the storyline. Did you pay attention to the storyline? I think not. You sound like one of those people who gave the first Lord of the Rings movie a bad rating. As for S.F Chronicle...lately, they've been giving bad ratings to some great movies (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Signs, and much more....), "well-worth-seeing"s to some movies that needed the highest rating (Spirited Away) and giving their best ratings to some movies that weren't something to hop out of your chair about (Tuck Everlasting, The Ring). Never trust S.F. chronicle... "The Matrix" also provided us with some special qualities that other masterpiece sci-fi films had, including: "Akira", "Minority Report", and "Ghost in Shell". It was NOT a copy of these films! It was just added to the list of sci-fi masterpieces! Expand
  8. LeoR.
    Jul 5, 2008
    The greatest action movie of all time, my favorite movie, its so perceptive so mind boggling you will watch it more than once to then fall more in love with the matrix a world without borders or boundaries. I love this movie.
  9. Jan 12, 2012
    After I have seen The Matrix, I instantly placed it at the #1 spot of the list of my favorite movies. Since then, 13 years has passed, I have seen over a hundred new movies. The Matrix still occupies that top spot. Inception was good, but no where near The Matrix good. If you haven't seen The Matrix series, I pity you, for you have missed the BEST movie ever made, go see it NOW!
  10. Aug 24, 2011
    In my top ten movies of all time. What a shame the sequels sputtered out or this Trilogy could have been the most epic in the history of film making. Could have been our generation's STAR WARS. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.
  11. Feb 9, 2013
    Well, after all these years of gaming communities being inspired by it as well as parodies from other films. I finally watched it. The film is confusing in some ways but it really makes you think. The film is very entertaining and has very impressive CGI for 1999. It's definitely worth watching.
  12. Jun 6, 2011
    Groundbreaking synthesis of East meats West, in a brilliant sci-fi mind-scape.

...trippy, cool, and fun ride all around.

Forget the sequels, they suck
  13. Nov 20, 2011
    The thought that went into this movies plot is astounding. I can understand how some could be confused and dislike it but ive found the more i watch this film the more i love it. Some minor flaws here and there but overall an amazing film.
  14. Jan 7, 2012
    Amazing, definitely a timeless masterpiece. Some of the utmost original storylines of science-fiction genre, introducing a brilliant and new reality that will break with all the standards and blow away your mind. The perfect combination between action scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat and reflective dialogues concerning the movie's very deep theme. Additionally, theAmazing, definitely a timeless masterpiece. Some of the utmost original storylines of science-fiction genre, introducing a brilliant and new reality that will break with all the standards and blow away your mind. The perfect combination between action scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat and reflective dialogues concerning the movie's very deep theme. Additionally, the technical production is astonishing with very good graphic special effects that form an unbelievably awesome visual appeal. Truly a must-watch production that will not leave you unchanged. Expand
  15. Jan 15, 2012
    This movie was a well done action movie. It has some problems with the story line, but the action scenes are undeniably astonishing. This movie introduced the Slow Motion concept to other movie makers, and it has been a hit ever since. I would definitely consider this movie to be a modern classic action film. The movie certainly goes above and beyond the standard 90's movie.
  16. May 25, 2012
    This film is much more than most of people can understand.It just try to open our eyes, we are in the matrix and this world is not what we think it is, and this movie is made by this people for this people, just as James Cameron Avatar that shows to the world the true reality, from whence we came and where we can go.
  17. Dec 6, 2012
    Average User Score: 8.7
    10 The Matrix Image The Matrix takes mystery school concepts and philosophies of Gnosticism, Eastern religions, Western Religions and even ideas from the Natural Law movement and blends them together to create a cryptic, symbolic action film. Everything in this movie has occult meaning, but it's up to us, the viewers to figure out what that meaning
    Average User Score: 8.7
    The Matrix Image
    The Matrix takes mystery school concepts and philosophies of Gnosticism, Eastern religions, Western Religions and even ideas from the Natural Law movement and blends them together to create a cryptic, symbolic action film. Everything in this movie has occult meaning, but it's up to us, the viewers to figure out what that meaning is. This movie is like a puzzle. But this is all done in a very cool, entertaining way with awesome special effects (cutting edge at the time it was released) and great memorable action scenes, some which have greatly influenced the special effects of Hollywood movies produced afterwards. My only complaint about this movie is the way the love of Neo by Trinity is revealed, I mean you have no idea and I remember in the theater myself and everyone around me groaning since the whole love story in action films thing has been done to death and this seemed so cliche. The love between Trinity and Neo is very important to the trinity in the long run but imo it could have been introduced in a much better manner, maybe some flirting scenes leading up to it because you just don't see it coming at all which makes it really unrealistic. But other than that a great, epic movie.

The Matrix (and the entire Matrix Trilogy) is like an onion, it has many layers of meaning, and every-time I watch it I notice something new. Definitely a masterpiece with profound hidden meaning and my favourite movie off all time to this day. 10/10
  18. Feb 7, 2013
    If You Ever had to choose one movie for your unborn child to see. It would definitely be the matrix. FREE YOUR MIND. The perfect illustration of control and power and how it influences everything around you
  19. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Matrix was genius. Acting was great, the story: perfection, direction was perfect, and then the fights were absolutely badass, and anyone who's seen it would agree.
  20. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    The radical premise, hip cast (Keanu's best performance), kickin soundtrack and provocative philosophy combine to "blow your mind". "Whoa"
  21. NoahS
    Mar 1, 2008
    The Matrix is without a doubt one of the best movies ever made. Period. I will explain though. Most people have an issue with the movie for one of two reasons: the special effects and the plot. First, I'm not a huge martial arts guy, so I'm definitely nowhere close to being an expert on this, but the action scenes were pretty awesome. The combination of slick and fast The Matrix is without a doubt one of the best movies ever made. Period. I will explain though. Most people have an issue with the movie for one of two reasons: the special effects and the plot. First, I'm not a huge martial arts guy, so I'm definitely nowhere close to being an expert on this, but the action scenes were pretty awesome. The combination of slick and fast hand-to-hand with a load of guns thrown in...awesome. The music to the fights completed the experience. The second issue most people have with the Matrix is something I am quite familiar with: the plot. The plot of the Matrix is fantastic. That is because of two things: One, it is a fresh idea. The Matrix's plot is not a clone of anything. And two, the plot is incredibly deep, having multiple levels for every part in it. The agents, Neo being freed, the idea of the Matrix itself, all great. If you don't like sci-fi, then that's fine. You probably won't like this movie. You definitely won't like the sequels. But don't knock them for being "stupid" or "moronic." Because they simply aren't. And on a last note, the acting is exactly suited to this movie. The people in this movie act exactly how their characters should. Keanu Reeves was cast BECAUSE he acts the way he does on camera. It was perfect for the part. Hugo Weaving is SUPPOSED to be dry and humorless. Keep in mind the context of the characters when you judge acting. If you have any complaints, I'll be willing to defend the greatness of this movie. A 10 out of 10. Expand
  22. Sep 2, 2010
    a fun sci fi action flick with fantasic action and effects . the story is pretty entertaining and keeps you interested . the film has a great plot twist that i dont think any one seeing this for the first time will ever see coming . the story feels fresh and original . the acting is abit dry but fits this film and especialy Reeves who i dont think you could get any dryer then his acting .
  23. Jan 20, 2011
    THE MATRIX is the best action movie ever made in my list. When Matrix released on its time, thiz movie created many breakthrough on world cinema. Directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, who is just recently popular in thiz movie. They just known previously as small budget film Director, BOUND (1996). Later, the movie has two more sequels MATRIX RELOADED and MATRIX REVOLUTION in 2003. You canTHE MATRIX is the best action movie ever made in my list. When Matrix released on its time, thiz movie created many breakthrough on world cinema. Directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, who is just recently popular in thiz movie. They just known previously as small budget film Director, BOUND (1996). Later, the movie has two more sequels MATRIX RELOADED and MATRIX REVOLUTION in 2003. You can almost classify the Stars of thiz movie as B-Class Casts, except Keanu Reeves, but still the outcome is beyond the expectations. Each of the characters like: Neo (Keanu Reeves), Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne), Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) , even the villain Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) already become a legendary icon in the industries. One of the fervencies of thiz movie is on the action scene. The fight scene is something new and different, which follows later by other movies. Behind that extraordinary fight scene is well-known Martial Arts Choreographer, Yuen Woo Ping. Woo Ping is the man behind CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON(2000), KILL BILL (2003),THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM (2008), even Jackie Chan classic action SNAKE IN THE EAGLE SHADOW (1978). His experiences in a lot of Asian movies made him effective. The movie definitely exceed beyond our imagination. In fact, many people did not understand entirely the story of THE MATRIX, there are still many blank spot to question about. The Content of the movie fills with great philosophies inside. It seemed to me Wachowski Brothers discovered successfully how to make a brilliant concept from some of religions. The essence is not that simple as appear to be, Actually we will always have something new, every time we watch it.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  24. Jun 8, 2013
    This is the best sci-fi movie ever made, together with Star Wars IV and V, of course. I can't tell you much about it. You REALLY need to watch it so you can make conclusions.
  25. May 10, 2011
    I feel bad for those morons who think The Matrix sucks. this is a brilliant movie full of epic nonstop action. If you like movie with awsome acting,music, and badass slo-motion fight scenes, etc. then get this, if you aren't... well buy Legend of the Guardians.
  26. Sep 10, 2011
    Despite TRON being my all time, video game related movies of all time, The Matrix is my all time bad ass, cool, computer/hacker movies. I find it hard NOT to love. It has action, martial arts so the 'easily entertained by action' viewers can have something, the 'computer goers' like myself have something to get into and when it's all thrown together it makes the perfect combination ofDespite TRON being my all time, video game related movies of all time, The Matrix is my all time bad ass, cool, computer/hacker movies. I find it hard NOT to love. It has action, martial arts so the 'easily entertained by action' viewers can have something, the 'computer goers' like myself have something to get into and when it's all thrown together it makes the perfect combination of action and story. Expand
  27. Nov 29, 2011
    The best sci-fi movie of its time.
    Excellent original soundtrack
    I still keep the thinking as a reference for some of my work and my everyday life. Loved it.
  28. Jun 8, 2014
    Really recommend this movie (not the sequels however). Good plot and storyline, nice special effects (not too overdone) and if you can overlook the plot holes and suspend disbelief, your in for a great ride!
  29. Jul 14, 2014
    If I was dying and had to recommend to my child only 1 film to watch until they understand it fully, it would be the Matrix (trilogy).

That's how good it is.
  30. R.Lopez
    Sep 6, 2009
    When I first saw this movie when I was twelve I didn't think much of it, I thought it had a confusing story and a mindless plot that was supported and only succeeded by out of this world slow motion stunts. Boy was I naive or what!? Now seeing it again after all these years I could see that I was not ready back then to handle a movie of this complexity and strange coherent means of When I first saw this movie when I was twelve I didn't think much of it, I thought it had a confusing story and a mindless plot that was supported and only succeeded by out of this world slow motion stunts. Boy was I naive or what!? Now seeing it again after all these years I could see that I was not ready back then to handle a movie of this complexity and strange coherent means of story telling. But now I fully respect and love this movie for what it is and for what it always will be, mindbogglingly, mind blowing, out of this world fun. When the Matrix was released in 1999 this was the film to go see people were busting out of the theater's and telling anyone they can to go see this movie. It was the "It" movie of the year and it gained the title justly. This film mapped out new territory in action and ushered in a whole new generation of action & Sci-Fi thrillers and video games as well(Max Payne comes to mind) it is one of the biggest and most beloved film of the 90's and has one of the biggest fan base out there. This movie unique and I mean unique story and style has such and impact on you when you first see it you'll want to see it the minute it's over and some more after that and after that and you'll want to see it a million times it's just that good. The Matrix put's a Gothic and dark spin on the dystopia and apocalyptic themes that have become very common in Sci-Fi films, this film does it one better it takes those overly used themes and creates a completely original and unique world around which everything we Believe is a lie. It has a great monolithic tone to it that makes it a masterpiece by any standards and it creates a great aftershock in which few films can actually do these days. It purposes that machines while enslave humanity and use us as a battery source to power there vasts armies of machines around the world. But that's what makes it so great to watch it gives you a sense of hope and a sense of justice that you just feel all the way to your bones. This movie has given the fellow movie goer what they've always wanted and always searched for in a film, great action, a smart story and plot, acting you can live with and put them all together and what do you got? The Matrix! This movie will stick with long after it's over and even after tour old you'll still remember one movie that rocked your world like none other. All in all this film delivers great any day entertainment that is like Laurence Fishburn said, " Unfortunately no one can be told what the Matrix is you have to see it for yourself." And trust me once you do you won't ever look at Sci-Fi or other movies the same way again. This movie delivers. Expand

1. There's not much humor to keep it all life-size, and by the final stretch it's become bloated, mechanical, and tiresome.
  2. The plot switches gears every time it threatens to run out of energy, which keeps the show as lively as it is preposterous.
    The Matrix slams you back in your chair, pops open your eyes and leaves your jaw hanging slack in amazement.