8.9

1. Oct 4, 2011
    Yes, the movie has flaws. But who cares? "The Matrix" is a astonishing movie that is for-your-eyes only. The film has top notch (slo-mo was first introduced by this movie) CGI as well as a well rounded plot. It gives you more than you can ask for from a 1990's action film.
  2. Feb 10, 2012
    The best thing about the Matrix is the fact that it's such a brilliant, brilliant idea. The world you live in is virtual. In reality, you are an energy source in a jelly sac harvested by a race of machines... It makes me think of so many things... and I thought of whether I would take the blue pill or the red pill... you know, I'd probably take the blue pill.
  3. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, I would give matrix a 9.5 out of 10. Visuals are great, and so are the action sequences. They're really epic, plus they're great to watch. Score is great. The story is also very good to. Acting is really good. Everyone does a great job throughout the movie. Overall, The Matrix is a great sic-fi action blockbuster that a great movie to watch. You really should watch this movie.
  4. Jan 12, 2012
    After I have seen The Matrix, I instantly placed it at the #1 spot of the list of my favorite movies. Since then, 13 years has passed, I have seen over a hundred new movies. The Matrix still occupies that top spot. Inception was good, but no where near The Matrix good. If you haven't seen The Matrix series, I pity you, for you have missed the BEST movie ever made, go see it NOW!
  5. Jun 6, 2011
    Groundbreaking synthesis of East meats West, in a brilliant sci-fi mind-scape.

...trippy, cool, and fun ride all around.

Forget the sequels, they suck
  6. Aug 24, 2011
    In my top ten movies of all time. What a shame the sequels sputtered out or this Trilogy could have been the most epic in the history of film making. Could have been our generation's STAR WARS. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.
  7. Jan 7, 2012
    Amazing, definitely a timeless masterpiece. Some of the utmost original storylines of science-fiction genre, introducing a brilliant and new reality that will break with all the standards and blow away your mind. The perfect combination between action scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat and reflective dialogues concerning the movie's very deep theme. Additionally, theAmazing, definitely a timeless masterpiece. Some of the utmost original storylines of science-fiction genre, introducing a brilliant and new reality that will break with all the standards and blow away your mind. The perfect combination between action scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat and reflective dialogues concerning the movie's very deep theme. Additionally, the technical production is astonishing with very good graphic special effects that form an unbelievably awesome visual appeal. Truly a must-watch production that will not leave you unchanged. Expand
  8. May 25, 2012
    This film is much more than most of people can understand.It just try to open our eyes, we are in the matrix and this world is not what we think it is, and this movie is made by this people for this people, just as James Cameron Avatar that shows to the world the true reality, from whence we came and where we can go.
  9. Feb 7, 2013
    If You Ever had to choose one movie for your unborn child to see. It would definitely be the matrix. FREE YOUR MIND. The perfect illustration of control and power and how it influences everything around you
  10. Sep 2, 2010
    a fun sci fi action flick with fantasic action and effects . the story is pretty entertaining and keeps you interested . the film has a great plot twist that i dont think any one seeing this for the first time will ever see coming . the story feels fresh and original . the acting is abit dry but fits this film and especialy Reeves who i dont think you could get any dryer then his acting .
  11. Feb 9, 2013
    Well, after all these years of gaming communities being inspired by it as well as parodies from other films. I finally watched it. The film is confusing in some ways but it really makes you think. The film is very entertaining and has very impressive CGI for 1999. It's definitely worth watching.
  12. Jan 20, 2011
    THE MATRIX is the best action movie ever made in my list. When Matrix released on its time, thiz movie created many breakthrough on world cinema. Directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, who is just recently popular in thiz movie. They just known previously as small budget film Director, BOUND (1996). Later, the movie has two more sequels MATRIX RELOADED and MATRIX REVOLUTION in 2003. You canTHE MATRIX is the best action movie ever made in my list. When Matrix released on its time, thiz movie created many breakthrough on world cinema. Directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, who is just recently popular in thiz movie. They just known previously as small budget film Director, BOUND (1996). Later, the movie has two more sequels MATRIX RELOADED and MATRIX REVOLUTION in 2003. You can almost classify the Stars of thiz movie as B-Class Casts, except Keanu Reeves, but still the outcome is beyond the expectations. Each of the characters like: Neo (Keanu Reeves), Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne), Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) , even the villain Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) already become a legendary icon in the industries. One of the fervencies of thiz movie is on the action scene. The fight scene is something new and different, which follows later by other movies. Behind that extraordinary fight scene is well-known Martial Arts Choreographer, Yuen Woo Ping. Woo Ping is the man behind CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON(2000), KILL BILL (2003),THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM (2008), even Jackie Chan classic action SNAKE IN THE EAGLE SHADOW (1978). His experiences in a lot of Asian movies made him effective. The movie definitely exceed beyond our imagination. In fact, many people did not understand entirely the story of THE MATRIX, there are still many blank spot to question about. The Content of the movie fills with great philosophies inside. It seemed to me Wachowski Brothers discovered successfully how to make a brilliant concept from some of religions. The essence is not that simple as appear to be, Actually we will always have something new, every time we watch it.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  13. May 10, 2011
    I feel bad for those morons who think The Matrix sucks. this is a brilliant movie full of epic nonstop action. If you like movie with awsome acting,music, and badass slo-motion fight scenes, etc. then get this, if you aren't... well buy Legend of the Guardians.
  14. Sep 10, 2011
    Despite TRON being my all time, video game related movies of all time, The Matrix is my all time bad ass, cool, computer/hacker movies. I find it hard NOT to love. It has action, martial arts so the 'easily entertained by action' viewers can have something, the 'computer goers' like myself have something to get into and when it's all thrown together it makes the perfect combination ofDespite TRON being my all time, video game related movies of all time, The Matrix is my all time bad ass, cool, computer/hacker movies. I find it hard NOT to love. It has action, martial arts so the 'easily entertained by action' viewers can have something, the 'computer goers' like myself have something to get into and when it's all thrown together it makes the perfect combination of action and story. Expand
  15. Nov 29, 2011
    The best sci-fi movie of its time.
    Excellent original soundtrack
    I still keep the thinking as a reference for some of my work and my everyday life. Loved it.
  16. Oct 19, 2011
    Sure some things aren't perfect, and it can be kind of...meh, but it is still a fantastic movie. The whole concept is very interesting, making you think for a brief moment "what if that's real?" And on top of that, it is funny, dramatic, and has great action scenes. I think it's a great ride of 90's movies.
  17. Nov 20, 2011
    The thought that went into this movies plot is astounding. I can understand how some could be confused and dislike it but ive found the more i watch this film the more i love it. Some minor flaws here and there but overall an amazing film.
  18. Jan 15, 2012
    This movie was a well done action movie. It has some problems with the story line, but the action scenes are undeniably astonishing. This movie introduced the Slow Motion concept to other movie makers, and it has been a hit ever since. I would definitely consider this movie to be a modern classic action film. The movie certainly goes above and beyond the standard 90's movie.
  19. Jan 6, 2012
    Beautifully filmed and written. Best film of all time. The charcters are so real and engaging, the settings are perfect and I couldn't find a single fault if I tried.
  20. Dec 6, 2012
    The Matrix
    Average User Score: 8.7
    10 The Matrix Image The Matrix takes mystery school concepts and philosophies of Gnosticism, Eastern religions, Western Religions and even ideas from the Natural Law movement and blends them together to create a cryptic, symbolic action film. Everything in this movie has occult meaning, but it's up to us, the viewers to figure out what that meaning
    The Matrix
    Average User Score: 8.7
    The Matrix Image
    The Matrix takes mystery school concepts and philosophies of Gnosticism, Eastern religions, Western Religions and even ideas from the Natural Law movement and blends them together to create a cryptic, symbolic action film. Everything in this movie has occult meaning, but it's up to us, the viewers to figure out what that meaning is. This movie is like a puzzle. But this is all done in a very cool, entertaining way with awesome special effects (cutting edge at the time it was released) and great memorable action scenes, some which have greatly influenced the special effects of Hollywood movies produced afterwards. My only complaint about this movie is the way the love of Neo by Trinity is revealed, I mean you have no idea and I remember in the theater myself and everyone around me groaning since the whole love story in action films thing has been done to death and this seemed so cliche. The love between Trinity and Neo is very important to the trinity in the long run but imo it could have been introduced in a much better manner, maybe some flirting scenes leading up to it because you just don't see it coming at all which makes it really unrealistic. But other than that a great, epic movie.

The Matrix (and the entire Matrix Trilogy) is like an onion, it has many layers of meaning, and every-time I watch it I notice something new. Definitely a masterpiece with profound hidden meaning and my favourite movie off all time to this day. 10/10
  21. Jun 8, 2013
    This is the best sci-fi movie ever made, together with Star Wars IV and V, of course. I can't tell you much about it. You REALLY need to watch it so you can make conclusions.
  22. Aug 19, 2013
    Nowadays, you could ask someone what film defined the sic-fi genre and made it what it is today, there's a good chance the film on the lips of many would be The Matrix, the 1999 bombshell which inspired, split and certainly opened up debate for the masses, some called it ridiculous, others were boggled by its complex plot but many respected the achievement the film had, and for goodNowadays, you could ask someone what film defined the sic-fi genre and made it what it is today, there's a good chance the film on the lips of many would be The Matrix, the 1999 bombshell which inspired, split and certainly opened up debate for the masses, some called it ridiculous, others were boggled by its complex plot but many respected the achievement the film had, and for good reason. Without stripping the plot down piece by piece and explaining what is and what isn't, The Matrix works with the idea that the world as we know it is actually a dream, that we are actually "plugged in" to the real world which is run by machines, and that Neo (Keanu Reeves) is the man to stop the war and give freedom back to the humans, this is what Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) believes, one of the captains of a resistance movement in the real world.
    Neo begins to learn the way of the Matrix, which can be summed up as the world we live in now, that it is actually a computer program created by the machines to control the populous.
    The Matrix itself, therefore, can be altered because it is a program, these people can walk on walls, slow down time and have quite an array of fighting skills, but its really when these parts come into play that the film starts to loose is unique touch and starts to conform, we have shootouts, running, typical villains and a sense of losing steam, the premise remains, but the action becomes bloated and apparently necessary. There is a vast array of characters, already mentioning Neo and Morpheus, we have Trinity, an experienced member of the crew and a love interest of Neo, we have also have Mr Smith, an agent of the Matrix intent on the destruction of the remaining human world, Zion. There are various other characters but they aren't widely used, the primary focus is the path that Neo must take, and the decisions he must make.
    We have the introduction of "bullet time" which of course is common ground now in Hollywood but its humble beginnings in the film will leave your jaw on the floor, the Watchowski brothers have utilised an intelligent, sometimes confusing plot but still manage to keep us up to date, while also showing some impressive effects and scenarios that will really have you questioning everything around you, if of course you keep an open mind.
    Certainly an interesting and dramatic tale, one which continues to stand the test of time with its remarkably risky script and its choice of lead roles, but while it can take a turn into familiar territory, there is still fresh and enjoyable fun to be had with The Matrix, it opens plenty of questions and begs the viewer to attempt a straight answer, and thats what getting engaged in a film is all about.
  23. May 20, 2014
    I remember when I first saw this movie at school, years ago. I wasn't fully focused and even missed a piece of the movie, but I recall thinking that this film is complex and needs more than a couple watches to be understood. Now, years later, after I have seen the movie time and time again, it is almost as simple as it gets.

"Matrix" was the first of its kin. It has been made into

"Matrix" was the first of its kin. It has been made into parody more times than I can count, and a lot of movies have been influenced by it. This is a master piece, right here.

The world, the ideology, and the characters all stand their own ground, firm and unyielding. The idea behind the story is complex, coming apart piece by piece. Words of wisdom are offered, but you need to grasp the right things to really comprehend them. There is no big "surprise" lurking around; you have the answer all the time. You just need to understand it first.

The fighting scenes are one of a kind. The slow-motion camera work is artistic, adding to the coolness that seems to hang above this movie. Sunglasses, black leather, the soundtrack on the background, and the monotone voices - it all creates an atmosphere you either love or hate.

I love it. This is totally one of my favorite movies, and when viewed as part of the Matrix series, this is the most "whole" part.
  24. May 3, 2014
    I strongly recommend this film; it's a golden experience that will change your life for the better.

The effects still look great even fifteen years later. The story offers much food for thought. Morpheus, Neo, and Trinity transcend mere character into archetype. But who HASN'T felt as if this life is something less than it seems? This stands alongside 'Serenity' among science-fiction cinema's greatest champions of human liberation and truth. If you care about your mind, see this. You will not be disappointed.
  25. Oct 21, 2013
    Saw this movie for the first time yesterday. Although a lot of it was cheesy and the costumes were ridiculous, it was very engrossing and I was never bored.
  26. Dec 11, 2013
    A mind-bending movie. The story of Neo, a computer hacker who learns that the entire world is simply a dream created by machines to keep human's minds occupied so they can be harvested for energy, is incredible, simply because one day it may actually happen. The fights are incredibly choreographed, and the special effects were revolutionary for their time, and still hold up today. BuckleA mind-bending movie. The story of Neo, a computer hacker who learns that the entire world is simply a dream created by machines to keep human's minds occupied so they can be harvested for energy, is incredible, simply because one day it may actually happen. The fights are incredibly choreographed, and the special effects were revolutionary for their time, and still hold up today. Buckle up and prepare for The Matrix! (and its crappy sequels). Expand
  27. Dec 26, 2013
    "You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it. "
    Morpheus
  28. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Matrix was genius. Acting was great, the story: perfection, direction was perfect, and then the fights were absolutely badass, and anyone who's seen it would agree.
  29. Apr 26, 2014
    The beginning of the movie for me was very confusing but by the end all your questions will be answered. The slo-mo and CGI make the tricks a whole lot better.
  30. Jun 8, 2014
    Really recommend this movie (not the sequels however). Good plot and storyline, nice special effects (not too overdone) and if you can overlook the plot holes and suspend disbelief, your in for a great ride!

1. There's not much humor to keep it all life-size, and by the final stretch it's become bloated, mechanical, and tiresome.
  2. The plot switches gears every time it threatens to run out of energy, which keeps the show as lively as it is preposterous.
    The Matrix slams you back in your chair, pops open your eyes and leaves your jaw hanging slack in amazement.