6.2

1. Mar 8, 2014
    the premise is interesting, and the effects range from being really good to really cheesy, but the film is very suspenseful, this is a lot better than your average monster movie. The ending is terrible though.
  2. Dec 13, 2013
    Esta pelicula me gusto, tuvo suspenso y drama."The Mist" es una adaptacion cinematografica de una novela de Stephen King, yo nunca lei esa novela, porque si la hubiera leido mi critica seria diferente;pero dentro de todo la pelicula tuvo un buen suspenso para disfrutar.
  3. Nov 30, 2013
    This film is precisely the kind that is destined to be under rated. I came to view it out of an unusual impulse toward gratuitous monster mashing gore. But The Mist is far more substantial than anything the average horror fan is going to be prepared for. The film is an allegory for the for the human condition at its most grim. And as such within the genre, it is not just as good as horror gets, it is correct. And I use the word 'correct' here in the most laudatory sense that a person could use it while aghast and weeping. Expand
  4. Nov 10, 2013
    Really solid horror/suspense movie. Thomas Jane is prettty damn good here. Yeah, some of the acting is a bit wooden, but i you're a fan of The Walking Dead or TV/movies of the type that make you examine human nature, you'll enjoy this one. A solid 7/10.
    For those complaining about the ending, I believe Stephen King himself said he wished he had thought of this particular way to end the story.
  5. Aug 20, 2013
    Okay. what the heck is this? Seriously, probably the worst movie I've ever seen. There's a pointless story, the acting (esp. that fundamental cult thing) is just silly. At the beginning you could think it will be a great movie, but with time progressing it goes straight down. The characters are so single-sided with dialogs everyone could write. It's full of cliches and the effects aren't good, either. Though, the end is the worst part of this ridiculous movie so predictable and just.... wrong. I can't really find words that fit. I don't even know why this exists. It shouldn't, Don't watch it. Expand
  6. Jun 14, 2013
    One of the black list of worst of all time. Dont make sense any thing.
    The plot? A drama, yes a drama, not a action/SciFi, just a drama that try artificially puts some people together and show the "society problems". Like religion, guilty, fear...
  7. May 26, 2013
    I loved this film! The Mist follows a group of townspeople trapped in a grocery store as a mysterious mist blows into town, bringing with it a variety of unfamiliar creatures. The trapped townspeople are played perfectly by a great cast; Thomas Jane is good as the main character, and Marcia Gay Harden is chillingly brilliant as the disturbed Christian. She steals every scene she's in and delivers multiple monologues that rank among her best performances. The cast had a surprisingly great script to work with; sharp dialogue and well-written conversations make this film extremely realistic. There were a few stupid decisions and characters scattered throughout, but that doesn't hold back the film much. Also, the CGI could have been a little better. With it's strong cast, memorable monologues, and solid script, The Mist builds perfectly to an ending that's unforgettable. Devastating, infuriating, but perfect. Expand
  8. Apr 1, 2013
    The mis-categorizing of The Mist as a horror movie was unfortunate. The building sense of hopelessness along with Marcia Gay Harden's award deserving role as Mrs. Carmody creates a movie that is worth your attention.
  9. Jan 28, 2013
    Although the foundation for a good story is there, the poor acting and melodramatic character development make the movie fall short of being a good film. The ending is unfitting and characters are often portrayed as hysterical, making it hard to feel any kind of connection to them. On top of that, the movie just doesn't end. It lasts 2 hours and 7 minutes and it really starts to drag about halfway through. Expand
  10. Oct 6, 2012
    As always Frank Darabont makes a great job .
  11. Sep 29, 2012
    This is, by far, the greatest work of Stephen King. The thought of using something rather common, like mist, makes it seem like anything can happen now. Every time I see mist, I think it will turn into a horror story. I am also VERY impressed with the special effects. A little too impressed...actually.
  12. Jun 25, 2012
    When I first watched the first 15 minutes of this film, I was thinking to myself, "Man, this movie is kinda unoriginal." I was wrong. When the mist starts rolling in, the film keeps you hooked until the ending. The characters are well put together, and although the acting isn't perfect, it's still very solid. What I enjoyed the most about this movie is that it doesn't rely on cheap tactics to make you scared. It's suspenseful, gory, and thrilling. This movie also gets credit for having one of the most depressing endings in film history. Expand
  13. Apr 5, 2012
    I definitely enjoyed the movie. It was better than what I expected, yet, I know it was not brilliant. It works in its genre, although there was room for improvement. I think it is not easy to describe the feelings that this movie inspires to me; but I know this is a movie that I would recommend to those who enjoy horror films where violence and gore are justified. The story is interesting and it takes a while for the mistery to be unfolded. Although some may have already thought where the answer was, the way it was done in the movie, is to be applauded. Good performances and good cast. It had an interesting perspective, that made me reflect-again- in how dangerous religious fanatism can be to the world ( be aware I mean, fanatism, for there is nothing wrong with religion itself) and how easy to manipulate are human beings under certain conditions. Great ending, although sad. Overall, a good movie but i am disappointed to se the low score, especially considering how many good reviews it got...I wonder if the metacritic system is working for I don't see it changing much days after some comments are post..strange indeed. Something that they should ckeck...for it is not only the percentage, but the number of 'positive' doesn't add after my friends or I write a review...! Expand
  14. Dec 12, 2011
    It was pretty terrible and a rather generic film up until the very end, Literally the last scene of the film. Acting was below average and I expected far better, The story wasnt interesting, and the ending was just so stupid but its a hilariously stupid ending (if you have a sick sense of humor like me). Its a rather trashy film if you ask me.
  15. j30
    Nov 1, 2011
    A truly terrifying movie. It's nice to watch a horror movie that's not obsessed with throwing gore and cheap tricks scares at you. I have heard countless complaints about the ending, which to my surprise, was not nearly as bad as everyone had made it out to be.
  16. Oct 9, 2011
    Strangely, one of my favorite films of all time, although I understand that people don't like it. I'm not a fanboy, or a hater, so I won't bag out people who dislike this film, likewise i don't expect to be knocked just because I really enjoyed this. I liked the pace, the premise, and the cheesy acting and effects. Even though it felt a bit B grade I felt this added to the experience for me. I saw this in cinemas and remember walking with a big smile on my face. If you're a fan of post-apocalyptic, sci-fi and horror you should get a kick out of this, if you're a Dark Tower fan then maybe even moreso (as their are a few nods to the series in this film). To me this film captures the dire reality of such an event quite well by pitting a small group of people together who must learn to fight off a common threat. It deals with the microcosm of society and how certain people can influence the masses. There is a real feeling of dread and despair that is portrayed in the film. The characters are survivors but we know that not all of them will make it through to the end, we know that their situation is a dangerous one and the film keeps you on your toes.

All in all, I really liked it and always mention this to friends as being one of my faves of all time, they always laugh, heh, but that's life. Don't be deterred by bad reviews, its just one of those movies, some love it, some hate it, you might really like it.
  17. Jul 23, 2011
    Eh. Sad, depressing, but scary. An interesting (but somewhat predictable) look at the way people work together. Overall, the ending is what really shocked me. That was good.
  18. Jul 17, 2011
    Some tension - interesting effects - many annoying performances - ridiculous plot contrivances - many boring sections - a terrible movie - one of the worst ever that I've seen
  19. Jul 2, 2011
    the mist is a strange experience and annoying in a good way, of course. monsters that attack to people are innocent in comparison with monster people inside. music that heard in the last scenes don't let the eyes to be dry.
  20. Jun 14, 2011
    The beauty of a good horror movie is when the actual threat itself becomes insignificant in comparison to the ills that manifest from the very people that are trying to escape it. This very story telling mechanic is what The Mist does in magnificent fashion. If you watch this movie with the right head on your shoulders, respecting the situation the central characters are in at any given moment, then the end scene will rip your very soul clean in half. I know the end differs from the short story originally penned by King, but the author himself has ok'd the revised ending with much applause (there is actually a sit down chat with King and Darabont on the disc where this is seen and heard). One point I will make that really needs to be listened to is the viewing of this film in Black & White. I myself have never seen the colour version as the director himself (there is a 'forward' at the start of the B&W presentation on Blu-ray by Darabont) has stated that the B&W is the native viewing experience... and i certainly agree with that. The Mist is a mini masterpiece that got reviewed at the time by the wrong people and therefore has not reached the audience it deserves. The fans will continue to spread the word and keep the films legacy alive through word of mouth and passion for what this reviewer truely believes is one of the best horror movies of all time Expand
  21. Jun 12, 2011
    A depressing and visceral cautionary tale about the monsters that hide inside us all. The acting ranged from wholly believable to flat-out cheesy, but it was trivial by the end. Speaking of endings...holy crap. I think I've made my point.
  22. Nov 1, 2010
    I disagree with many critics and evidently many viewers in that I think this film was an excellent character drama, and a very good film overall. The characters were solid, the acting was great in most cases, it built up a lot of suspense and character development, and it avoided a lot of tropes and cliche's, with a pretty brutal ultimatum.

It wasn't a typical horror movie, or even a very
    good horror movie, by any means. The enemies are rarely seen, in several cases passive, and scare moments don't last very long. However, in almost every other respect I'd say the film is a great success. Most characters actually have interesting opinions and beliefs, and don't follow genre cliche's (when they do, it's with depth and subtlety). A small example is the seeming jobsworth store department manager, I forget his name, who has a goofy appearance, is stumpy, and has glasses. In EVERY other horror movie he would be comic/ sicko relief, and would be killed by the main character or somesuch after he pervs on the love interest or some crap. However, he turns out to be a good guy, one of the best in the film, and is likeable and has a lot of story/plot input. The generic psycho antagonist seems one-dimensional and cliche, but is acted with extreme finesse- when she finally starts driving people to violence (which is inevitable), you can actually see that she is shocked at what is going on, but keeps at it out of fear and wavering momentum. The whole thing is about why people do these things- basically fear and how people deal with it.

The story is basic and doesn't reveal much about what is going on, but that's not necessary, as it's mostly about the characters' survival and relationships, yet it still does a good job of setting up an ecology and background for the strange creatures the players encounter. The film's not much of a horror, but as a thriller and a character piece- I'd say hit it up like a whack-a-mole.
  23. Sep 1, 2010
    Cloud of mist appears over a lake, traps people in a supermarket, mayhem ensues.
    Stereotypes galore, awful dialogue, general stupidity all round & I wanted most of the people dead about 25 minutes in.
    Ending is quite good though.
    Watch The Fog, Dawn of the Dead & The Thing which this steals from but are much, much better.

1. There's a grim modern parable to be read into the dangerous effects of the gospel-preaching local crazy lady Mrs. Carmody (brilliantly played by a hellfire Marcia Gay Harden) on a congregation of the fearful.
  2. Less horrific than it is horribly didactic.
    The Mist is itself a supermarket of B-movie essentials, handsomely stocked with bad science, stupid behavior, chewable lines of dialogue, religious fruitcakes, and a fine display of monsters.