6.7

1. AdamC.
    Mar 20, 2008
    127 minutes long? This film is a joke. Truly a steaming pile.
  2. FloydH.
    Mar 29, 2008
    Excellent. I had no idea this was the same director of the Shawshank Redemption, and the Green Mile. I almost avoided renting this DVD because it was 'a rental store exclusive' which to my mind seemed to impute box office or critical failure. Had it not been a Stephen King book adaptation, starred Thomas Jane, and been lauded by Richard Roeper, and Pete Hammond - I would not Excellent. I had no idea this was the same director of the Shawshank Redemption, and the Green Mile. I almost avoided renting this DVD because it was 'a rental store exclusive' which to my mind seemed to impute box office or critical failure. Had it not been a Stephen King book adaptation, starred Thomas Jane, and been lauded by Richard Roeper, and Pete Hammond - I would not have given it a second glance due to it's lack of critical acclaim. I can only conclude that the lack of critical acclaim is due in no small measure to its indictment of religion as a form of mental calcification. Why else? The acting was sterling. The monsters no less than macabre. The story singular with only a slight nod to the Silent Hill series. Why this film is important: It shines an caustic light onto the religious bias of an overwhelming number of film critics. I now know which film critics to avoid in the future when researching how to spend my last 350,640 hours. Expand
  3. halb
    Apr 3, 2008
    Overall, very disappointing film.... probably because I had such high expectations for it. It's primary 'saving grace' is the ending. Unexpected and bleak and powerful. Those who hate the ending should just stay in their own sugar-coated disneyland of typical hollywood outcomes.
  4. ke
    Apr 6, 2008
    The low reviews kept me away from this film in theaters, but once I rented it, I was surprised by how good the movie is. It's entertaining and scarier than any other shit out there right now. It's a really good Stephen King adaptation and the acting strong. The ending is a little turn off, but the rest of the film make up for it. Watch the film >>>> It's f**king good.
  5. DrewL.
    Nov 22, 2007
    The first half was terrific! One of the most tense movies to come along in years! The, the more we saw of the creatures, the less scary and more stupid the movie became. I wish Darabont continued with the tone he established in the first half, instead of going effects crazy. 'Dreamcatcher' was better than this, because that movie didn't take itself seriously...it knew it The first half was terrific! One of the most tense movies to come along in years! The, the more we saw of the creatures, the less scary and more stupid the movie became. I wish Darabont continued with the tone he established in the first half, instead of going effects crazy. 'Dreamcatcher' was better than this, because that movie didn't take itself seriously...it knew it was a B grade monster movie. 'The Mist' tries to have its cake and eat it too. Now I haven't seen all adaptations, but this is the worst adaptation of a King novel yet. The biggest disappointment of 2007. Expand
  6. TerrinB.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Solid story line (believable as far as monster movies go)Silly ending based on the character of the father of the kid.His survival instinct would not allow him to do what he did prematurely.
  7. SébastienC.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Really bad. The director tried to instillate some social psychology (how humans behave in a life or death situation) into a fantastic/horror movie. The idea was good, but was very poorly implemented. Unsubtle close-ups and would-be realistic shaky camera, stereotyped characters, laughable lines, predictable events (apart for the end), and the usual overflow of disgusting scenes Really bad. The director tried to instillate some social psychology (how humans behave in a life or death situation) into a fantastic/horror movie. The idea was good, but was very poorly implemented. Unsubtle close-ups and would-be realistic shaky camera, stereotyped characters, laughable lines, predictable events (apart for the end), and the usual overflow of disgusting scenes traditionally seen in mediocre horror movies. Even a non-hollywoodian and original end cannot make a poor movie better. Stay away from it. Expand
  8. MatthewU.
    Dec 9, 2007
    A great adaptation of a great short story.
  9. JohnO
    Mar 17, 2008
    I wonder if this would have seen the inside of a cinema were it not for Darabont's success with Green Mile and Shawshank. From the cheap production and second rate cast to the poor CGI, this film feels 'made for TV' right the way through. Good TV, (like watching a sci-fi/horror two hour special) but tv nonetheless.
  10. ArielG
    Mar 8, 2008
    It started off quite well, and built up a great chilling atmosphere. A feeling of dread and horror. Then it all went downhill from there. Bad special effects aside, the acting was atrocious - at the end the way the main character is shouting is just plain unbelievable and silly. But the most frustrating thing to watch was the bad decisions the characters kept making over and over again. I It started off quite well, and built up a great chilling atmosphere. A feeling of dread and horror. Then it all went downhill from there. Bad special effects aside, the acting was atrocious - at the end the way the main character is shouting is just plain unbelievable and silly. But the most frustrating thing to watch was the bad decisions the characters kept making over and over again. I know with movies like this, you have to suspend beliefs for a while, but the things they did was just unrealistic. The idea and the theme of the movie was good, but I just don't think it was executed the right way. A shame though, it could've been a great movie. Expand
  11. MattG.
    Apr 15, 2008
    This was a horrible cliche-riddled crap film. the ending did not fit.
  12. JonathanF.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Charmingly ridiculous. Sometimes just plain ridiculous. And the rest of the time outright terrible.
  13. Cables
    Nov 28, 2007
    Marcia Gay Harden's character is one of the most annoying characters i've ever seen in a movie and she needed to take an exit MUCH earlier. Some parts of this movie were laugh out loud terrible. Some parts were just creepy. The special effects were also laugh out loud bad. It's a rare case of a completely average movie with a pretty good ending (even if it was terribly depressing).
  14. JohnM
    Nov 26, 2007
    The movie was good for a while but it grew increasingly ridiculous and the ending was so far from what any real person with sense would do. If you are a fan of quitters watch this awful movie.
  15. MariusS.
    Dec 26, 2007
    Steven King at his best,. I truly enjoyed this movie, excellent!
  16. Dec 12, 2011
    It was pretty terrible and a rather generic film up until the very end, Literally the last scene of the film. Acting was below average and I expected far better, The story wasnt interesting, and the ending was just so stupid but its a hilariously stupid ending (if you have a sick sense of humor like me). Its a rather trashy film if you ask me.
  17. AndrewL
    Jul 10, 2009
    Once again i was almost fooled by the critics, the movie was brilliant. its actually very hardcore, not in a violent sense, although it is quite graphic. for a modern horror movie im surprised how little it makes you jump, this was a good thing, it didnt need cheap scare tactics to totally creep you out, it does it through the people in the mall and how they react to the situation. the Once again i was almost fooled by the critics, the movie was brilliant. its actually very hardcore, not in a violent sense, although it is quite graphic. for a modern horror movie im surprised how little it makes you jump, this was a good thing, it didnt need cheap scare tactics to totally creep you out, it does it through the people in the mall and how they react to the situation. the movie really was great, scary, fun, intense, suspenseful, really just a great horror flick. the Ending, by far, is one of the most powerful pieces of cinema ive seen, ever. Expand
  18. MicheleC.
    Mar 30, 2008
    This movie had it's moments and could have been a pretty good movie if not for the absolute horrific ending. I have 2 young sons and this upset me to my core! The dumbest outcome I have ever seen in a movie.
  19. NK
    Mar 29, 2008
    Not weighty enough to be the intellectual film Darabont wants it to be, not scary enough to be the horror film it should be. (And as ever, the monsters just aren't scary...)
  20. JohnD.
    Feb 9, 2010
    Do yourself a favour: skip to the end. The Mist features one-dimensional characterisations, hammy effects and dialogue unrealistic enough to be laughable. The final 15 minutes are maaaybe work watching. Its just a shame the same can't be said for the 111 dirge-like minutes that preceed it.
  21. ClifC.
    Mar 9, 2009
    Ridiculous acting, Thomas Jane can't act. Only the biggest monster was well done, the others were quite ridiculous. The other bizarre thing was the plot trying to separate minds and opinions with religious, scientifics and rationalists beliefs. I'm not a religious at all and I'm a rationalist, but I was quite shocked by the semi-hidden insults made to both opinions and Ridiculous acting, Thomas Jane can't act. Only the biggest monster was well done, the others were quite ridiculous. The other bizarre thing was the plot trying to separate minds and opinions with religious, scientifics and rationalists beliefs. I'm not a religious at all and I'm a rationalist, but I was quite shocked by the semi-hidden insults made to both opinions and beliefs. The good points: it was entertaining and despite the hidden insults towards both "camps" it was really interesting to see how human race reacts in front of an event like this. The worst is that it would be very probable. Expand
  22. CaseyD
    Oct 27, 2009
    It would have been a 7 or 8 but that ending pissed me off.it was not original at all, i think I've seen and read that ending about a million times and it just makes people angry at this movie after watching it(it really was not needed, it was just plain horrible and disturbing and it made me mad at the "writer" of that ending). other than that, it was ok.
  23. Jul 17, 2011
    Some tension - interesting effects - many annoying performances - ridiculous plot contrivances - many boring sections - a terrible movie - one of the worst ever that I've seen
  24. T
    May 6, 2008
    I didn't see the first 10 minutes of the movie, but I feel like it didn't matter so much. I was also under the influence of alcohol when watching, which i thought would make it better...but it didn't. The acting is ho-hum, and every single horror-movie cliche you can think of is in this movie. Oh, and the special effects are bad. I will admit that I don't know much I didn't see the first 10 minutes of the movie, but I feel like it didn't matter so much. I was also under the influence of alcohol when watching, which i thought would make it better...but it didn't. The acting is ho-hum, and every single horror-movie cliche you can think of is in this movie. Oh, and the special effects are bad. I will admit that I don't know much about the horror genre, but I feel like there can be so much better than this drivel. Expand
  25. GraemeW
    Jun 16, 2008
    Would of given it a couple of points more , if it wasn't the cheap trick of an ending , I do not need sugar sweetened , but 5 going out like that, unbelievable bunch of losers, the rest average b grade, not even funny, dialogue written by a 13 year old, but suppose that's Mr King, read him at that age. Don't mind my team losing as long as they play- bunch of losers
  26. TiberiuC.
    Jan 15, 2010
    So bad I had to skip to the end. S. King simply can't write good books. And the movies based upon his books are even worse. Don't waste your time with this crap, there are many other good movies out there.
  27. AndreM
    Apr 26, 2009
    I thought that it would be some kind of psycologic thriller, what would be a lot more interesting. However, the movie has some really boring alien bugs, just as in any other B class movie. That took a lot of the movie credibility away. Through the movie, there were some interesting parts, some funny and some very intense. But some (most of) the persons were extremely dumb, by taking too I thought that it would be some kind of psycologic thriller, what would be a lot more interesting. However, the movie has some really boring alien bugs, just as in any other B class movie. That took a lot of the movie credibility away. Through the movie, there were some interesting parts, some funny and some very intense. But some (most of) the persons were extremely dumb, by taking too long to decide to do something. And finnaly, the end was very, very sad, not bad, really, it was probably the most well thought part of the movie, but very sad. If it was with me, I would wait for the bugs come, not suicide so early. Expand
  28. LeeL.
    Nov 23, 2007
    This was garbage, without a single authentic reaction from any of the actors, warmed-over horror cliches without an ounce of fresh air, and absurd pretension pawned off as knowing social commentary. Maybe it would work for five-year-olds.
  29. Sep 1, 2010
    Cloud of mist appears over a lake, traps people in a supermarket, mayhem ensues.
    Stereotypes galore, awful dialogue, general stupidity all round & I wanted most of the people dead about 25 minutes in.
    Ending is quite good though.
    Watch The Fog, Dawn of the Dead & The Thing which this steals from but are much, much better.

1. There's a grim modern parable to be read into the dangerous effects of the gospel-preaching local crazy lady Mrs. Carmody (brilliantly played by a hellfire Marcia Gay Harden) on a congregation of the fearful.
  2. Less horrific than it is horribly didactic.
    The Mist is itself a supermarket of B-movie essentials, handsomely stocked with bad science, stupid behavior, chewable lines of dialogue, religious fruitcakes, and a fine display of monsters.