7.8

1. Nov 23, 2011
    This movie made me laugh so hard. If you grew up with The Muppets you will love this movie if you never seen the muppets you wont really get the humor. It has funny jokes and hilarious songs. I almost peed my pants with the Im a Man or a Muppet song.The only thing I have to criticize was at the ending( no spoilers) Selena Gomez is in it a brief and I was like NO NO NO GO AWAY she should of honestly not been in the movie like keep older actors. Other then that this was one of my favorite movies this year TBH. Expand
  2. Dec 23, 2011
    The Muppets is extremely heartwarming and funny, charming and just innocent. It features lovable performances from the whole cast with some great musical numbers. I give this movie 99%.
  3. Nov 23, 2011
    Awesome!
    Had some super cute, bitter sweet moments, had crazy over the top muppets mayhem. Music was great, and he humor was edged in exactly in the right way, not alienated adults but also appealing to kids. The writing and concept was pure genius, and I would have never expected this in a million years to be quit as heartfelt as it truly is. I'm stoked to see if it sells well, and if
    Disney green lights a sequel---we all need the muppets! Now more than ever! Expand
  4. Nov 25, 2011
    This movie is exactly what it sets out to be. It's fun, carefree and has a great message about family, perseverance, and has some really touching moments between pieces of felt. I felt a little silly tearing up at one point because it's a Muppet movie but it did a great job of bringing the Muppets into a new century. It reminded me of a Pixar movie in that it is just so pure in what it seeks out to do and has such a simple message but it's executed so well.

The only issue I had with the movie is that they break the fourth wall a couple too many times for my taste. It's a small gripe but seem like it happened too many times.
  5. Dec 31, 2011
    Before I watched this movie, I was expecting something like "The Smurfs" or "Garfield" you know, movies that I can mock and throw in 3's and 4's into my reviews. "The Muppets" are pretty much in the same structure with both humans and muppets on screen with a cheesy 1950's musical look. But the core of the movie, where like "Toy Story 3" the muppets realized they aren't the star anymore, is actually entertaining with plausible laughs and recalls sad memories of the old age muppet shows. Expand
  6. Nov 23, 2011
    No one was happier than I was when I heard The Muppets where coming back. I attended the midnight showing and it did not disappoint. Smart, witty comedy, excellent acting, and those good old fashion Muppets back together again.
  7. Nov 23, 2011
    If your a fan of the original Muppet Show or happened along after during the classic films, this one is for you. Perfect in every way! Thank you Jason Segel for a perfect homage to Jim Hensons' greatest achievement.
  8. Dec 4, 2011
    The Muppets brings back in our old days of funny, charming, and whimsically of rainbow connection in the 80's. First, the story takes place were The Muppets are retiring for their old days for making the show, but Walter, Gary, and Mary are helping the Muppets to bring back their reunion. Second, the characters have updated for their funny reenactments. I just love those beloved characters to bring more funny jokes that I really enjoy, especially those weird characters that make us more laughing. Jason Segel and Amy Adams did very good on their roles and the new muppet character Walter, was very funny and cool. Then finally, the scenes are perfectly well done for the musics, the jokes, and their nostalgia memories that the muppets bring more stuff that we love in our days. I can say that this movie is incredibly awesome and sometimes that the adults are definitely will enjoy and the kids will be alright to get the intention of the Muppets. Expand
  9. Dec 16, 2011
    An enjoyable nostalgia trip made by clearly devoted fans of the original TV series and early movies, but lacking the smartness and the comic density of the original. Kermit's voice is annoyingly wrong, his "acting" consists of incessant mouth contortions, and his character is missing the spine and moral strength that made him a leader a generation ago. Other characters, even Piggy and the human leads, are two dimensional, as though they're playing roles, rather than being, um, themselves. Only the new muppet, Walter, has a real character, but even that is thin.

I enjoyed it, as did my 4 year old, but my 7 y.o. was bored, as was my wife, who commented that it's pretty much a girls' movie.
  10. Dec 4, 2011
    This film spent too much time focussing on the story of reintroducing the Muppets and not enough time reintroducing why the Muppets were so wonderful in the first place.

The characters that drove the movie were the non-Muppets Jason Segal, Amy Addams, and Walter the puppet. Not only were the characters generic and utterly forgetable but they forced the movie to play by predictable
    people rules rather than the insanely absurd logic of the Muppets. What you ended up with is a movie with Muppets in it rather than a Muppet movie.

Was the plot reasonably entertaining? I guess. Were there occasional funny and absurd moments? Yeah. Did they get the tone of the Muppets down? Sort of. Unfortunately, "reasonably", "occasional", and "sort of" are the last three words I would ever want to apply to something as weirdly inspired and proudly original as the Muppets.

Maybe having Jason Segal write and star in this movie was a mistake. The Muppets should have been the stars of this show, not him. If your desperate for a Muppet fix, I'm sure you'll be somewhat pleased with this movie. Otherwise see it on DVD.
  11. Nov 25, 2011
    As a kid in the 70's, I obviously loved the Muppets in their prime. This film is cute, and it's fun to be reintroduced to the characters (esp. the always amazing Miss Piggy), but the movie as a vehicle fell flat for me. There were 3 or 4 deathly slow moments that almost lost me. For those on the fence, I'd suggest renting the original.
  12. Nov 27, 2011
    As musicals tend to be, it was cheesy and over-the-top, so if you're not into that, maybe you wouldn't like this movie. I, however, am a big fan of both the muppets and cheesy musicals, so I LOVED it. We were smiling and laughing the whole time. I think this movie is great for kids and adults alike. We just went last night, and I already want to see it again. I will definitely be purchasing the DVD. The plot is fairly similar to the first Muppet Movie, but I found that to be a good thing, because it was as if it was paying homage to it. The new songs are pretty corny, but fun and enjoyable (and will get stuck in your head), and it was really nice that songs from the Muppet Show were used. I would highly recommend going to see this movie...especially if you've ever been a muppet fan. Expand
  13. Feb 29, 2012
    Being born in 1995, i missed out on a few things, The Super Nintendo,the Golden years of The Simpsons and The Muppets. I was a huge fan of The Muppets when I was younger even though there glory days were over. I used to rent out old tapes of the the Muppet show constantly and I would watch any of The Muppet movies whenever I could. So when I heard The Muppets are coming back and Jason Segal is writing and starring in it I was litterally blown away. If this review seems biased I'm sorry.

They'res grat acting all round from both humans and Muppets. the jokes are fresher than ever and the celeb cameos are hilarious. Kids will love the muppets and the childish humour and adults will be covered from head to toe in Nostalgia and celebrity cameos, this movie is for everyone.
  14. Nov 23, 2011
    For those of us who grew up on The Muppets, this brings back so many wonderful memories. like any good childrens' movie, this has plenty of jokes that work on two levels. my kids were entertained and wondering why I was laughing so hard.
  15. Nov 27, 2011
    This movie wasn't really the best I've ever seen. First of all, the plot is very predictable, you know what's going to happen next. The producer tried to be funny, but he wasn't. It was really cheesy.Maybe it's just me. I've read a lot of positive reviews of this movie. Also, grown adults singing and dancing was a little weird. I would relate the movie to Barney, or maybe the Wiggles.
  16. Dec 17, 2011
    As a movie that is intended to be about the Muppets, this film seemed overly concerned with it's human characters. While that approach works in movies like Muppet Treasure Island, this movie is an attempt to pander to fans of the old Muppet TV show, and therefore renders the human plot unnecessary. The Muppet humor is done quite well, and I expect fans of the show or the movies will be pleased with it, however there isn't nearly enough of it and it takes about twenty minutes of the film to even get to the first real bit of it. The new Muppet, Walter, is pretty pathetic (he looks like a Sesame Street reject, and acts about the same), and the movie's "villain" is even worse (he raps, and he's bad at it). The overall plot is extremely predictable, and the human actors seem like they're just reading lines. Final verdict: There are 50 minutes of good old fashioned Muppet laughs here, but you have to get through 50 minutes of mediocre (at best) filmmaking to get to the good stuff. Expand
  17. Mar 4, 2012
    The Muppets is a movie that takes us back to childhood, the good memories cropped up constantly during the film. This nostalgia, and of course the Muppets, carry the plot. It is amazing that Jason Segel came out with this idea, and eventually wrote a screenplay.
    The story takes place in a world where the Muppets are no longer on TV, and the dream of a puppet boy called Walter, could become
    true if this group get back together and save their studio. Here we can see Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Gonzo, Fozzie Bear, Animal and Sam the Eagle. The movie had also enjoyable performances of Jason Segel and Amy Adams. Even the cameos are really good, for example Jim Parsons, Niel Patrick Harris, Whoopi Goldberg and Rico Rodriguez.
    The main theme of the picture, Man or Muppet, is one of the most remarkable parts, because the two brothers must decide/discover what they truly are. Definitely this song was well awarded. This movie will make you laugh, but also will remember you a simpler time.
  18. Jul 3, 2012
    As somebody who enjoys Root Canal surgery more than an episode of Glee, the dancing and cavorting was a bit sugary. But who cares? The Muppets are back! And not 'back' like they were in the late 90s (Muppets from Space), this time it's actually polished, and funny. Really funny.

If you enjoyed the Muppet Show in your youth, see it.
  19. Feb 26, 2012
    While I've always like the Muppets, the three movies I've seen them in before (Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island, and the Muppet Wizard of Oz) didn't really feel memorable. This movie however, gives the Muppets a much needed revival, and I'm proud to say, I was very satisfied! Great songs, lots of laughs!
  20. Nov 26, 2011
    Thrilled to see the return of The Muppets, I enthusiastically visited my local theater on opening day! Jason Segel, a self-described Muppets fanatic, co-wrote and produced this revival of my childhood. While the script isn't very polished, the story is adorable and a perfect modern representation of these characters. After the boring "Muppets in Space" from the late 90s, I was thrilled to see these characters treated with such love. The numerous "4th Wall" we're cute, especially when they were self-deprecating, but I think it was a bit overdone. The flow of the film was very choppy, but much of it intentional. Kids and adults alike should absolutely love it. Expand
  21. Dec 5, 2011
    An evil businessman (Chris Cooper) wants to level the old Muppets studio, but human fan Jason Segal, his puppet brother and girlfriend Amy Adams decide to put on a show and save the day. Of course, they have to round up all the classic characters (Kermit, Miss Piggy, etc). This revival of the franchise is not ironic: It gets its essence from wise-crack comedy, heartfelt emotions, numerous cameos and clever self references (including 80s nostalgia for the grown-up audience). While it's a delight to watch the old gang go at it, Segal comes off as too earnest and lacks leading man charm. Still, the energetic pacing, witty songs and beloved characters combine to create a fun time for all. Expand
  22. Jan 7, 2012
    I had a great time along with all the other folks in the audience reliving their youth through the magic of the Muppets. The story isn't Citizen Kane, but it's all heart, and that's what matters most with The Muppets. Thanks Jason Siegel for bringing these guys back into the pop culture zeitgeist. The Muppets is for the kid in all of us. Another afternoon of splendid entertainment.
  23. Nov 24, 2011
    Basically, I laughed and cried the entire time--it is clear that someone who understands both the humor and heart of the Muppets has finally picked up the torch where Jim Henson left off. For all its zany tongue-in-cheek, breaking-the-fourth-wall humor (which IS totally in line with Muppets tradition), it also, without directly addressing it, deals with the gaping hole in our hearts left by Jim Henson's untimely death-- whether the Muppets could ever be magical again, or, as Kermit sings about, if what they used to have was now broken beyond repair. Fortunately for all of us, even broken hearts can still be magical. Gee it's good to be together again! Expand
  24. Dec 12, 2011
    A pretty average movie, the humor ranged from good to very meh. The best moments were the fourth wall breaking bits that lampshaded the absurdity of the movie, but even some of those fell flat. Some of the musical numbers were also amusing, but, overall, it was only an okay movie.

In short: You won't regret watching it, but you wouldn't regret missing it either.
  25. Dec 6, 2011
    As a fan of the Muppets since seeing reruns of The Muppet Show, I have been wondering when the Muppets would return with a movie that could actually be seen in theaters instead of the odd assortment of straight to dvd releases. My worries were put to rest when Kermit the frog appears and the 4th wall breaking jokes began. It is a fun and harmless movie with an interesting ending. It definitely ranks up high in what the Muppets have done. The cameos are great, as well the writing. I hope that this is not the final movie for the Muppets anytime soon. Expand
  26. May 13, 2012
    Good job. I was shock . This movie was really good. I love this movie now. I didn't expect this movie to be good at all. I was expecting some crappy movie. One of the best movies of the year. Best muppet movie. A great kids and family movie. A movie that every one will enjoy.
  27. Apr 22, 2012
    Believe it or not,, this is one of the best movies of the year. The simplistic plot works so well, even though you've seen it in dozens of other movies. What makes this movie work so well is the humor and the character development. Yes, character development for puppets. They do feel like real people with real emotions, not just fuzzy little animals. Whatever your age, whether you grew up with the Muppets or not, you will love this movie. Expand
  28. Mar 11, 2012
    No, it is not Sunday morning. But it is time to play the music, it is time to light the lights. Here they are! Kermit and the whole gang are back! The Muppets are carrying one last show to raise money. In order to maintain their studio before the evil oil tycoon shatters it down. There is only one problem. Have they been forgotten? With the real world reflects just like the story in thiz movie, since the very first stage of movie-making process, thiz movie was way underrated. People keep asking, did thiz movie will actually work? Anyway, look how well the movie is doing now. The Stars sparkle all over the place. The famous frog Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, Scooter, Animal and other members of The Muppets, can bring the hilarious atmosphere instantly, including the new introduced character, Walter. Jason Segel proves out to be surprisingly talented with his energetic singing and dancing. ENCHANTED (2007) princess Amy Adams is a brilliant choice for her role, she is an unarguable Disney princess figure in human form. The bad guy looks cynical and funny at the same time, played very very well by Chris Cooper. Not to mention, it is featuring endless Celebrity Guests such as Jack Black, Emily Blunt, Zach Galifianakis, Whoopi Goldberg, Selena Gomez, Ken Jeong, Sarah Silverman, Neil Patrick Harris, John Krasinski and even Dave Grohl from FOO FIGHTERS. James Bobin made his directorial debut through thiz movie. The songs are part of thiz musical extravaganza. The singles like LIFE A HAPPY SONG, ME PARTY or MAN OR MUPPET are one of the best moments. The ending scene is effective (Spoiler Alert!). When is told that they have finally got the appreciation and applause from millions of people outside the studio. It is simply to say, we could have happy tears along. It is not just about the Muppets anymore. But it is also about every one of us who have grown up with these guys. Whether we realize it or not, in that very moment, we had a sort of feeling, it was like we looked back the years we had been through and we suddenly realized how much we had already changed. The innocent world that we once had is exist. The Creator Jim Henson must be proud of what they have done. Thanks, guys. Thanks for bringing us the third greatest gift of all, which is the laughter! When they do, they have got the whole wide world in the palm of their hand.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  29. Feb 11, 2012
    The Muppets is cheerful and sweet. Classic and it's about nostalgia! As new generation of Muppets, we could still the heratwarming atmosphere. Kermit and the gang and also the human itself deliver a very good performance, humanist.
  30. Jan 1, 2012
    Nice entertaining movie, easy scenario, no much events, quick songs, muppets are the main actors. If you need a relaxation that keeps you away from too much thinking, this movie is the best. It is convenient for all ages, somewhat boring if somebody is expecting more than pass time.
  31. Nov 28, 2011
    This movie has possibly made me the happiest I've ever been walking out of a movie theater. It's funny, heart warming, and plays off of well established cliches beautifully. This is a pitch-perfect movie, both a love letter to the Muppets and their fans, as well as a very funny movie in its own right with a load of in-jokes and self references that are surprisingly funny, considering I usually find that kind of stuff annoying in many movies. Easily one of my favorite movies of the year. Expand
  32. Nov 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved this movie! It had my g/f and I laughing throughout. A typical plot with a not so typical ending which put me in my cynical place! Some funny moments in between the HILARIOUS moments. I loved the muppets as a kid and always wanted to be a muppeteer, so seeing the love that Walter had, as well as the obvious appreciation that Jason Siegel has for the muppets, it was truly the first Muppet movie worthy a Jim Henson name since his passing. A great movie with the significant other, or with the kids. Expand
  33. Nov 27, 2011
    Absolutely delightful, really funny, absurdist and spot on. Clearly made with love, the film has a light touch a pure heart and a massive funny bone. It's the ultimate anti-depressant! So, so glad I went out of my way to see it in a theater with an audience... though it'll be a blast on the small screen too. Go see it!
  34. Dec 6, 2011
    I have no idea how its humanly possible to write a bad review for this movie. I love the Muppets. This movie was fun, inspiring, filled with great messages, and it is absolutely hilarious. Jason Segel did a more than amazing job writing and starring in this film. He did the classic Muppets justice in this new, hilarious entry into the Muppets excellent line of movies. You must see this movie whether your a muppet fan like me or no. You will be rolling on the floor laughing, i promise. One of my favorite movies of 2011. 10/10 without a doubt Expand
  35. Nov 28, 2011
    I originally rated this a 7, then was invited to watch the movie again, so I did. I found that I had a better time watching it now that I knew what to expect, and now I am even more fond of it. I quickly realized that the main thing holding my rating down was the performance of Jason Segel... He makes a good writer, but not a Muppet-movie-main-character quality actor. To me he's the guy who wants to do a performance justice, but lacks the right type of talent (TV actor instead of Blockbuster actor) and in the process overdoes his part and kinda ruins it. While I enjoyed the movie more the second time, I found the overbearing performance of Jason Segel paired with the terrible quick fix for the hole they left in the plot was still too much to improve my score. (the quick fix is in the credits, and was ridiculously cheap... almost renders the whole effort of the movie null). Still worth the price of admission for any level of Muppets fan. Expand
  36. Nov 27, 2011
    The Muppets are a part of America's richest history. They will always be loved by millions and be cherished for a long time, and I am glad they came back after those long muppetless years, and with such power too. This movie is probably actually my favorite muppet movie ever. The muppet charm we all love was deeply felt and greater than ever. Not only was Jason Segal and Amy Adams amazing additions to the gang but Walter (the cute 3-foot tall brown haired die hard muppet fan) was also a charming little muppet that was added to the gang. But as always, Kermit, Animal, Fozzie, and the rest of the gang really played a big part in the making of the joyful feeling that only the muppets can give. Awesome storyline also gave this movie its delightful mood. The way it fits it's awesome guest stars including Jack Black, Whoopi Goldberg, and Zach Galifianakis. The way it fits all the gut busting jokes that adults can even laugh too, and hard. Sweet musical numbers and even a little drama make this movie great. This will go down as mine and a lot of other peoples favorites for along long long long long long time. It's time to play the music. It's time to light the lights. It's time to bring the muppets back, and make the world bright. Expand
  37. j30
    Jan 11, 2012
    You can't help but smile during this entire movie. The humor is really light and cute, it's something for the whole family.
  38. Nov 27, 2011
    A good spirited film, with a lot of heart. Perfect for the little ones. Though it's also clever and witty, and I think adults will thoroughly enjoy it as well. Adorable.
  39. Nov 25, 2011
    If you are extremely familiar with the original Muppet's show from the late 70s-80s, then you are going to adore the latest Muppet film. The Muppets contains familiar flashbacks and moments we remember from Kermit and the gang, including a cast of celebrity cameos, and the witty comedy that we always loved from the Muppets.This movie was really funny and also had a lot of heart, which left me happy after the film was over. Is it the best Muppet film? Close, but not really. A tie between A Muppet's Christmas Carol and Muppet's Treasure Island will always be the superior films from the Muppets. I do admit that some sequences got a little too campy (though it didn't lasted too long) and the beginning of the film was too fast paced with it's storytelling. Other than those minor critiques, The Muppets is a must watched film for witty audiences and Muppet fans alike. You will not be disappointed! Expand
  40. Dec 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can not tell you all how much I love this movie. The Muppets are back, and almost better then before. I was laughing every minute. It had so many good homages to the original movies, like the first big Muppet movie "The Muppet Movie" when they accidentally ditch the big brown Muppet at the car sale. It also has many good popular culture references, and fresh new jokes. Anyone who's ever seen a Muppet movie needs to see this. Even if you didn't even know who the Muppets were before this, you still need to see it. Expand
  41. Mar 4, 2012
    The Muppets may not be the big thing that they were in the 80's, but this sequel / reboot is one of 2011's most charming movie! Surprising turn by Jason Segel in writing and acting on what is essentially a kid's film. Amy Adams is her usual, great self. Chris Cooper is surprisingly good as the evil oil baron ('maniacal laugh'). Best of all, The Muppets are great!!
  42. Nov 24, 2011
    This was a sweet and brilliant movie. It had all the old school Muppet charm teamed with some great new characters and great new music. It put a smile on my face from the first frame to the last.
  43. Nov 23, 2011
    Check out my Review of the Muppets http://fronttowardsgamer.com/2011/11/23/ftg-nerd-review-the-muppets-movie-1123/

Itâ
  44. Nov 23, 2011
    I remember seeing this trailer. When it first came on, I was like "Oh great, very funny trailer... This is hilarious!!!!! Yes let the world Muppet domination begin ........
  45. Nov 23, 2011
    I love the Muppets because they are funny and loving! I Can't wait to see the Muppets this Saturday and I love Kermit and the Gang! It's awesome to see it for the intire family! I love the Muppets will be in the Oscars awards and I hope the Muppets will be awesome! I love all of the Muppets !
  46. Nov 24, 2011
    This was a GREAT movie. We laughed through the entire thing. For me the nostalgic appeal was a big part of what made it so great, but my kids (10 and 13) loved it just as much as I did. Definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year.
  47. Mar 4, 2012
    The muppets has been off the radar for so long that most has forgotten that they are the funniest gang to be around with. This reboot has reminded us that the Muppets are still fun. The plot of the movie is as simple as it comes, but this is where the muppets are playing at their strengths. The muppets are weirdos give them something simple and they run with it. This movie has the exact right tone, and its one of the most fun movies I've watched in a long time. The muppets are mostly useless and that's what's great about them, you just have a blast watching them fail in their "talents" in the most charming of ways. Although the cameos are nothing compared to those of the original show, they are still additions which add on to the fun on screen. Expand
  48. Dec 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. We tend to look at the past as something better than it really was. But we know how remakes usually end up like. This isn't a remake though. I love the retro feel, and the quick-fire jokes (Ted Conference attending, google employee Scooter). Although it seems this is why we have ADD. Some of the jokes toward the end of the movie were just going by too quick. Sure it was hectic for the Muppets, but it shouldn't be for us.

This is one time we can say something was better than the original. With Kermit asking for President Carter, and the Ms. Piggy disco sound, It seemed the movie didn't take itself too seriously with the self-deprecating humor and all. It seemed they were trying to say t"yes we are out of touch!" I was too young to remember growing up with the TV show, but old enough to remember the cartoons, and the re-runs. I've been waiting for this movie, and it didn't disappoint.
  49. Apr 9, 2012
    What a beautiful piece of heartwarming artwork! I cried and I love when a movie makes me cry. I was engrossed the whole time. I'm so happy that there are artists out there capable of creating this kind entertainment.
  50. Dec 9, 2011
    This movie had me leaving the theater with a giant smile on my face...mission accomplished. I loved every moment, it's classic Muppets humor with a modern twist. They do hardcore Muppets fans a solid with this film, and they don't disappoint non-hardcore fans. great for kids and great for adults!
  51. Dec 15, 2011
    I don't say this too often about any movie, but this is one of the few where if you do not enjoy it, you simply have no soul. "The Muppets" has to be one of the happiest movies I have ever seen. The musical numbers are brilliantly written and every one of them has this infectious energy that never fails to put a huge grin on your face. The movie also has its fair share of laughs. I particularly enjoyed all of the 80s references to "The Blues Brothers" and "Indiana Jones." There's maybe one area in the middle where the simplistic story starts to drag it down a bit, but then Amy Adams and Miss Piggy sing an hysterical duet that brings the movie back up, and from there, "The Muppets" sails into magical bliss. I'm recommending this to anyone who likes to feel happy. If you're soulless and only enjoy movies that make you feel depressed or angry, stay far away. Expand
  52. Dec 27, 2011
    This is a fun movie for all ages. Songs like "Life's a Happy Song", "Picture in my Head", and "Muppet or Man" are all fun and catchy songs. (They can be nominated for the Oscar song category.) Chris Cooper seems to be having fun playing an evil character in a family movie. Jason Siegel and Amy Adams are both perfect in their roles. The muppets are cute. I thought it was interesting that I saw this movie in an afternoon on Thursday and there were about 6 people in the showing. None were children. Expand
  53. Dec 30, 2011
    Has Jason Segel succeeded in creating a classic Muppet film for a new generation or is â
  54. Jan 15, 2012
    Loved it from start to finish. Exceeded all expectations and was impossible to leave the cinema without a smile on my face. Still singing the songs and laughing at the jokes months after I watched it.
  55. Jan 19, 2012
    Decently entertaining flick. While I do not think this is a straight out kids film, it does tend to be for the fantasy driven audience (there are some musical parts, dancing, and singing). Jason Segel does an admirable job in The Muppets and made it enjoyable for even adults with his humor. Cute movie and highly entertaining.
  56. Jan 19, 2012
    Somehow Jason Segal and company find a way to cram all of the old Muppets nostalgia in there, pack in more cameos than you will even remotely realize, and somehow find time to fit new material in there. The story is solid, the musical numbers are excellent, and the jokes fall perfectly in line with old Muppet affairs. A great movie for a family to enjoy.
  57. Jan 31, 2012
    before i watched this movie, i heard about how fun it is. And ofcourse, I totally agree about what people said. Thanks to my moviefriend for recommended this :*
  58. Feb 4, 2012
    Well, I have to give him credit; Jason Segel has managed to capture the sweet, gentle, charming, but ironic tone of the Muppets. For at fan like me who grew up, first with Sesame Street and later loved The Muppet Show this was a trip down sentimental movie lane. And it has the Rainbow connection, to quote Kermit YAAAAAYYYYYY!!!

For full review go to:
    http://badmovielover.blogspot.com/2011/11/muppets-or-man-i-miss-jim-hensen.html Expand
  59. Feb 17, 2012
    This is a fantastic homage to the spirit of The Muppets which gave me and countless others so much joy growing up. It's 100% cheesy, musical, family entertainment but even though I usually give such films a wide berth I was happy to sit through this movie and I'll do it again when it comes to blu-ray. It's hard to fit every old Muppet sketch into the restrictive 90 minute time slot so I understand why some old favourites get little to no proper screen time, but I'm glad they at least used some old jokes to jog the nostalgic memories of us grown-up fans while still dedicating sufficient screen time to the new story to make this worthwhile for a new generation of kids who might have no existing attachment to the franchise. Expand
  60. Feb 20, 2012
    It's been twelve years since the Muppets have been featured on the big screen, and with their last adventure (Muppets From Space) resulting in commercial failure, many have questioned whether the characters should be given another shot. I'm pleased to report that the answer to that question is a resounding "yes."Â
  61. Mar 30, 2012
    the movie was pretty good. i laughed about 100 times. as always the songs were really good. i laved Man or a Muppet. i loved Amy Adam and Jason Segal. they did great.
  62. Jun 4, 2012
    I love this movie. It was much more funny than I expected, and I expected it to be pretty funny. Fans of the old show should be very satisfied, and children should be, too. The only thing I did not like was the parts where they sang. I don't like musicals. However, some of the songs were decent and catchy, and there was a lot of humor, both visual and lyrical, within them. I think this is the perfect movie for the whole family. Expand
  63. Jun 4, 2012
    I expected to like this movie, I did not expect to LOVE it. But I did! You can't help forget that the Muppets are being controlled by people, and are not real. The puppetry is just spectacular. Amy Adams was adorable as always, and Jason Segel was great as well. Cameos for days too, I won't bother mentioning all of them. Great movie!
  64. Aug 18, 2012
    I was curious why this movie got all those positive reviews and this high imdb score. As it turns out this film is not too bad as they poke fun at their own modern day unpopularity and they mock the formulatic nature of their own film story. It's a very happy-happy feel good movie and there is some singing and dancing but it's rather fitting for a muppets movie and it's well done. So I can recommend this movie if you've seen the muppet show as a child and want to rediscover cudely legends like Miss Piggy, Animal, Camilla the Chicken, The Swedish Chef and Gonzo. Expand
  65. Aug 10, 2012
    While you have to constantly remind yourself that this movie is meant for children, The Muppets is cute and funny, with plenty of one-liners and wit from Jason Segel's smart script.
  66. Jan 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nothing says "keep out" quite like an electric fence. The visitors, however, aren't deterred, not even after Walter gets fried trying to scale the high voltage security system, which protects the faded green star from his public. Kermit has become a recluse, living alone in a Shangri La-like mansion, bitter over being surpassed by the far-edgier Avenue Q puppets(disguised as The Moopets, here). 80's Robot, a sort of manservant(shades of Sunset Boulevard), is his Rosebud. It's not 1979 anymore. In The Muppet Movie, the narrative culminates with the burgeoning theatrical players stepping into the lair of Worldwide Studio head Lew Lord. The very familiar man behind the desk appraises them, then over the intercom, tells his secretary to prepare a contract, which allows the frog to direct the Muppets' origin story. Sitting alone on his director's chair in an empty soundstage, it's hard not to imagine Kermit as a stand-in for Orson Welles, on the verge of directing his own Citizen Kane, a first film without any studio interference. Ironically, in The Muppets, Kermit has turned into Charles Foster Kane. He's Citizen Frog, an exorbitantly wealthy amphibian who lost his empire...and pig. Without Kermit no longer acting as her impresario, Miss Piggy, no doubt, found out the truth about her singing, just like Kane's second wife, the failed opera singer. Like Mrs. Kane, the pig realized that her popularity was rigged, due to the undue influence of a powerful alpha male. But whereas, the opera singer ends up on skid row, eking out a living as a club owner, Miss Piggy thrives, serving as the editor of French Vogue. The pig wears Prada. Still harboring a grudge over the frog breaking off their wedding engagement, Kermit leaves France without his muse. "You never intended to marry me," the pig complains, and frustratingly, due to the thematic parameters of a children's movie, Kermit's misgivings about the woman whose likeness adorns his entrance gate, is never brought to light. Past films offer clues, though. In "The Muppets Take Manhattan", the beautiful swine expresses her jealousy over the frog's friendship with a NYC waitress, whom the pig misinterprets as a love interest. As it so happens, Juliana has fashion designing aspirations. Miss Piggy's meteoric rise in the haute coutre industry could be a response to her paranoia about an interspecies relationship, more kinkier than their own. Unlike past Muppet projects, the subject of sex emerges from the subtext. Surely, the frog and the pig, and for that matter, Gonzo and his harem of chickens(Camilla is a swinger), got it on, but there was never any evidence of animal lust, no godforsaken byproduct of cross-breeding. But in The Muppets, there is verifiable proof that sex occurred between a puppet and a human. Walter isn't Gary's imaginary friend, but an actual flesh and blood brother, so to speak. In a montage, an off-screen adult, a human one, presumably the mother, measures both boys against the side of a doorway, where Gary sets new highs in verticality throughout their shared childhood, while Walter remains forever short, victimized by a form of dwarfism. The father, the probable muppet and absentee dad, isn't around to help his son feel normal. Lucky for Walter, the human brother does what he can to assimilate the felt one, but to some degree, as suggested by the post-modern diegesis, the film, therefore the subject, approaches his "skin" as an egregious malady, a disease. At the carnival, the movie references Rocky Dennis from "Mask", in the scene where Walter sees himself as a tall person in the same sort of funhouse mirror that the deformed boy, afflicted with a cranial enlargement disorder called lionitis, realizes his dream of normalcy through the same reflection trick. Walter's reaction to The Muppet Show is telling; it's the first time he lays eyes on his own kind, way back when Kermit could lay claim to being a comedy king. Now the frog is a has-been, or worse, a never-was, thanks to a history-challenged modern audience, too young to remember the puppet troupe's heyday. Their nearly non-existent cultural currency entails that they abduct a celebrity(Jack Black) to host a comeback show, bringing to mind, for some, Martin Scorsese's The King of Comedy, in which Rupert Pupkin kidnaps a Johnny Carson-type named Jerry Langford. The broadcast just happens to be a telethon, the genre that links The Muppets to the 1983 film, since Langford is played by Jerry Lewis, the host of so many MDA shows. In The King of Comedy, Rupert has a hard time distinguishing fantasy from reality, the same dilemma bedeviling Kermit, who believes that they're close to reaching the ten million dollar plateau, when in actuality, the tote board reads something far short. The people in the audience: Are they real? After all, the show starts with an empty studio. And what about the mob outside? Does this all play in Kermit's head? Expand
  67. Dec 7, 2011
    Based on so raving reviews (here and on IMDb) and with the fact that I really liked the characters when I was a kid, I went to see it tonight. Maybe I shouldn't have read them and kept my expectations low...
    It felt like a good joke stretched out for an hour and a half. There WERE some funny moments, but I agree with spr123: seeing all those people dancing in a 60s musical was kind of
    weird.
    This movie was SO over the top with this "let's break into this song" whenever a character is given a question.
    Maybe it's just me - since I don't like that "Glee" series either - but I was really disappointed with what they done with my beloved characters.
  68. Nov 25, 2011
    Good, not great. Considering I'm not an avid fan of the Muppets and not having seen any of the movies or the original shows, I'm wondering what I'm missing that excels the movie into "Best of the Year" territory. Every other joke works, but it makes for a very uneven movie. Some of the film's editing is very sloppy, especially towards the beginning. I supposed you could say that due to the limits of puppetry, but I say they could have done a better job. The musical numbers also have some problems, mostly considering that there's no real point to them. The numbers are short, don't feature great singing, and the dances are pretty simplistic. Of course this is no "Singin' in the Rain" or "Sound of Music", but it still pains me to see such weak musical efforts in a movie that could've benefited from them. That said, I still enjoyed The Muppets. It's a fun, family-friendly movie filled to the brim for nostalgia. Just don't go in expecting the best movie all year. Expand
  69. Mar 19, 2014
    While its not as good as it could have been The Muppets is an enjoyable film. Fans of the Muppets will be happy to see their favorite characters again and the film does its purpose as far as bringing the Muppets back so we can have more Muppet movies. What prevents this film from being spectacular is an unfocused narrative, unfocused characters, and a somewhat rehashed plot. However, when the Muppets do get back together you will be taken back to your childhood and the film will make you smile. I only wish the film was as good as The Muppets Movie. Expand
  70. Dec 26, 2012
    Very well made with some very funny comic moments throughout. If I
  71. Dec 19, 2011
    I wanted so much to like this movie. I'm a big fan of the Muppets, having watched the Muppet Show on television in the 70s and the movies in the 80s. Maybe it's because my expectations were so high due to the great overall reviews, but I was extremely disappointed. The plot felt like something I've seen a hundred times before and was very predictable. The first 3/4 of this film was excruciatingly slow, and not funny, although I enjoyed the more energetic last 1/2 hour. My poor friend that went with me was squirming throughout and at one point leaned over and said "I can't believe I came to this movie", and I had to agree with him. VERY disappointing. Nothing new that hasn't been covered in previous Muppet films. I'm shocked at the great reviews. Expand
  72. Mar 14, 2014
    Clearly crafted with love for all things "Muppets". You can tell that almost everyone involved in the making of this movie truly has some fantastic memories about these characters. The only problem I had was that the movie too often forsakes humor in favor of sentimentality. I have no doubt that those who grew up with the Muppets will appreciate this, but as someone who didn't I had a hard time seeing what made those fans laugh. The humor is truly lacking.

That's not to say that there isn't any humor, on the contrary there are a few laugh-out-loud funny moments here and there, but they are few and far between. Really all I find that the film has going for it is nostalgia. I did appreciate the vast number of fantastic cameos, and I'll admit I was never really bored by the film, I just wasn't really entertained. If you're a longtime fan of the Muppets than there is definitely something here for you. If you're not then it might be better to skip this one and wait for the sequel. It's clear that this film solely focuses on old memories, so newcomers will find little new memories to make. At least not any that are all that positive. I give it a 5/10-Mediocre.
  73. Dec 11, 2011
    Great movie. I believe this movie is a hit or miss; you either love it or you don't. I really enjoyed it, the only reason it is getting an 8 out of 10 is because it bugs me when movies "break the fourth wall". Also when you are watching it remember it's a kids movie, it is going to be cheesy, but just have fun with it.
  74. Nov 27, 2011
    This movie was a little WORSE than I expected it to be. There could have been more jokes and be less serious,I did not really like the new muppet. But, I do like that jason segel is in it. I did like the story and the muppets them selves though but they did not have to introduce every single muppet.
  75. Feb 17, 2012
    The Muppets themselves carry the movie, being as funny as they always were. The humans weren't bad either and the songs were pretty good. It was also good to see the meta comedy make a return, and some of the concepts were brilliant. (Travelling by Map being a highlight).

The issue comes from the story. In effect, it's The Muppet Movie + Muppets in Manhattan + Rocky Balboa. (Heartwarming
    Meta Comedy + Putting on a Show under heavy adversity + Fighting irrelevancy in a modern age) The sum is not greater than it's parts unfortunately, but the character moments between our old friends and the new ones keeps this from sinking. It's the sort of film you'd watch if it was on TV, but be a little dissapointed to pay £8-10 to see. But at least it was better than Muppets from Space. Expand
  76. Mar 12, 2012
    As a lifelong fan of Henson's muppets, I enjoyed this movie and its references to classic Muppet Show moments. However I was a bit dissapointed that the tone was a bit too safe and childish for me as an adult. Still its a great movie to introduce a new generation to the muppets and to watch as a family.
  77. Mar 1, 2013
    A whimsical movie that plays smartly for both kids and adults alike. With a plethora of funny lines and special appearances from actors, there is something for everybody to enjoy.
  78. Apr 8, 2012
    this was the first ever time i had had watched the muppet's and it was awesome
  79. Apr 10, 2012
    Enjoyable, but there wasn't enough depth to make it great. If you want to see a well produced love letter to the Muppets than this is the film for you. Pros: It's the muppets and probably would be fun for kids/families. Some of the music is good. Cons: It's a very simple and very cliched story. While some of the humour is funny and would probably appeal to a kid, for the most part might leave an adult silent. Expand
  80. May 22, 2012
    This movie for me was only able to be "cute". Segal and Adams were charming enough, hamming it up during their scenes. I have never been a fan of the Muppets, so I was unable to enjoy it purely for nostalgia purposes. There was some breaking of the fourth wall, the movie was self-aware and you could see Segal's touch and humor throughout. There weren't many jokes for a mature audience, and I found myself never laughing through this picture. If you are a fan of the Muppets and Segal, you will probably enjoy this and all the celebrity cameos. Otherwise, there are much more intelligent family friendly films out there. For the most part, this was just silly (borderline dumb) fun. Expand
  81. Mar 13, 2013
    I decided to watch this movie in the hope that it would be cute, humorous and entertaining. However, I was majorly disappointed. I didn't find any comedy in the songs, the jokes, or the characters. Perhaps it's time for the once charming Muppets to retire, as they've lost their touch. I was so, incredibly bored for such long stretches of time I nearly walked out of the theater; I would have been more entertained watching the 10-hour loop of Nyan Cat on YouTube. Now, I've read some of the other user comments saying that this movie was perfect for those who grew up with the Muppets, and perhaps that's were the positive reviews come from. From the eyes of a 13-yr-old, though, this movie was incredible boring. My 11-yr-old sister and my mother (she's 39 forever) watched the movie as well agree with this view, so I doubt it's the age difference that made this movie much a catastrophe for me. I wouldn't waste my dollar twenty-five on a red-box rental, either. Expand
  82. Dec 29, 2012
    Being a fan of the original Muppets TV show growing up as a kid, I really enjoyed this movie, it is true to its roots. It has many funny moments. Also, you can tell that it has been influenced by 'Flight of the Concords' too, another show I am a fan of. This is a result of it being directed by James Bobin, 'Flight of the Conchords' co-founder and its music director Bret McKenzie from Flight of the Concords. So if you are a fan of the Muppets or Flight of the Conchords I recommend seeing this. Even if you are not but you want to see a nice light heart-warming comedy with singing puppets, you should still enjoy this. Expand
  83. Jan 12, 2013
    Very good movie and excellent music.
  84. Dec 7, 2012
    So fun. So good! The timing of the release of the film was absolutely perfect. Great songs, awesome characters, and fun cameos. A must see! Plus Amy Adams is adorable.
  85. Jun 2, 2013
    You can't help but smile watching this film. The Muppets were always an enjoyable part of my childhood and it's good to see that they can be enjoyable for a new generation.
  86. Jul 23, 2013
    An average family movie with some laughs to be had. Predictable plot, pretty standard characters, don't expect much, if not for anything else watch it for all the celebrity cameos.
  87. Jul 23, 2013
    This movie is great! I watched it today it is funny. It has a lot of major characters I did not even know that were in the movie there is a person from CNN! You should definitely watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  88. May 25, 2014
    The Muppets is a blast i love this film so much and i really dont like Musicals but i always loved The Muppets movies dispite them not being that great of films they are just fun to watch and bring out my inner child even to this day. I still watch them all the time owning a couple of them on blu ray and dvd i watch The Muppet Christmas Carol every year on Christmas. Some people may not like Jason Segel saying he is an annoying actor but i would have to disagree with them. I like the guy he is really talented and the effort he put into making this film shows that. Amy Adams is a doll so its always a treat when she is in a movie. All the cameos in the movie were awesome and it was fun spotting them its too bad they couldnt get all the actors they wanted becuase of timing i really would have loved to see Jon Favreau, Ben Stiller, Steve Carell, George Clooney, Mel Brooks, Mila Kunis, Ed Helms, Alan Arkin, and Dave Grohl. It was funny watching Forgetting Sarah Marshall back in 2008 seeing Segel do a Puppet musical it was a teaser of what was to come.

Overall i give it a 8.0 cant wait for the sequel its sucks Segel wont have anything to do with it but i cant wait to see all the actors in that one. Also the songs in this were rather enjoyable i even bought the soundtrack.
  89. Mar 14, 2014
    the fact that there's singing , dance and miss piggy thats something i enjoy about this film its a musical a great kid movies . i can not wait to see muppets most wanted .
  90. Apr 27, 2014
    The Muppets is obviously more aimed towards children and they will LOVE it. It's almost a guarantee, they are funny, lovable and such good characters. I grew up with the Muppets and went to see this one and realised they've still got it! They just have a lovable glow which can't be explained but everyone likes them! The array of celebrities in this movie made it slightly better too. And the songs although I hate to admit it, do get stuck in my head after watching! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Feb 6, 2012
    Made absolutely for grown-up fans, this is the Muppets as you fondly remember them: funny, smart and gleefully insane. Kermit, it's great to have you back.
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Dec 27, 2011
    It may not entirely work as a movie, but The Muppets shines as a piece of touching pop nostalgia.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Nov 23, 2011
    Like Statler and Waldorf, older viewers may kvetch and cavil about the details, but when that red velvet curtain goes up, we wouldn't give up our balcony seats for the world.