The Muppets

7.8

1. Mar 13, 2013
    I decided to watch this movie in the hope that it would be cute, humorous and entertaining. However, I was majorly disappointed. I didn't find any comedy in the songs, the jokes, or the characters. Perhaps it's time for the once charming Muppets to retire, as they've lost their touch. I was so, incredibly bored for such long stretches of time I nearly walked out of the theater; I wouldI decided to watch this movie in the hope that it would be cute, humorous and entertaining. However, I was majorly disappointed. I didn't find any comedy in the songs, the jokes, or the characters. Perhaps it's time for the once charming Muppets to retire, as they've lost their touch. I was so, incredibly bored for such long stretches of time I nearly walked out of the theater; I would have been more entertained watching the 10-hour loop of Nyan Cat on YouTube. Now, I've read some of the other user comments saying that this movie was perfect for those who grew up with the Muppets, and perhaps that's were the positive reviews come from. From the eyes of a 13-yr-old, though, this movie was incredible boring. My 11-yr-old sister and my mother (she's 39 forever) watched the movie as well agree with this view, so I doubt it's the age difference that made this movie much a catastrophe for me. I wouldn't waste my dollar twenty-five on a red-box rental, either. Expand
  2. Dec 16, 2011
    An enjoyable nostalgia trip made by clearly devoted fans of the original TV series and early movies, but lacking the smartness and the comic density of the original. Kermit's voice is annoyingly wrong, his "acting" consists of incessant mouth contortions, and his character is missing the spine and moral strength that made him a leader a generation ago. Other characters, even Piggy andAn enjoyable nostalgia trip made by clearly devoted fans of the original TV series and early movies, but lacking the smartness and the comic density of the original. Kermit's voice is annoyingly wrong, his "acting" consists of incessant mouth contortions, and his character is missing the spine and moral strength that made him a leader a generation ago. Other characters, even Piggy and the human leads, are two dimensional, as though they're playing roles, rather than being, um, themselves. Only the new muppet, Walter, has a real character, but even that is thin.

I enjoyed it, as did my 4 year old, but my 7 y.o. was bored, as was my wife, who commented that it's pretty much a girls' movie.
  3. Nov 27, 2011
    This movie wasn't really the best I've ever seen. First of all, the plot is very predictable, you know what's going to happen next. The producer tried to be funny, but he wasn't. It was really cheesy.Maybe it's just me. I've read a lot of positive reviews of this movie. Also, grown adults singing and dancing was a little weird. I would relate the movie to Barney, or maybe the Wiggles.

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Feb 6, 2012
    Made absolutely for grown-up fans, this is the Muppets as you fondly remember them: funny, smart and gleefully insane. Kermit, it's great to have you back.
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Dec 27, 2011
    It may not entirely work as a movie, but The Muppets shines as a piece of touching pop nostalgia.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Nov 23, 2011
    Like Statler and Waldorf, older viewers may kvetch and cavil about the details, but when that red velvet curtain goes up, we wouldn't give up our balcony seats for the world.