The Muppets

7.8

1. Mar 4, 2012
    The Muppets is a movie that takes us back to childhood, the good memories cropped up constantly during the film. This nostalgia, and of course the Muppets, carry the plot. It is amazing that Jason Segel came out with this idea, and eventually wrote a screenplay.
    The story takes place in a world where the Muppets are no longer on TV, and the dream of a puppet boy called Walter, could become true if this group get back together and save their studio. Here we can see Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Gonzo, Fozzie Bear, Animal and Sam the Eagle. The movie had also enjoyable performances of Jason Segel and Amy Adams. Even the cameos are really good, for example Jim Parsons, Niel Patrick Harris, Whoopi Goldberg and Rico Rodriguez.
    The main theme of the picture, Man or Muppet, is one of the most remarkable parts, because the two brothers must decide/discover what they truly are. Definitely this song was well awarded. This movie will make you laugh, but also will remember you a simpler time.
  2. Jan 1, 2012
    Nice entertaining movie, easy scenario, no much events, quick songs, muppets are the main actors. If you need a relaxation that keeps you away from too much thinking, this movie is the best. It is convenient for all ages, somewhat boring if somebody is expecting more than pass time.
  3. Dec 4, 2011
    This film spent too much time focussing on the story of reintroducing the Muppets and not enough time reintroducing why the Muppets were so wonderful in the first place.

The characters that drove the movie were the non-Muppets Jason Segal, Amy Addams, and Walter the puppet. Not only were the characters generic and utterly forgetable but they forced the movie to play by predictable people rules rather than the insanely absurd logic of the Muppets. What you ended up with is a movie with Muppets in it rather than a Muppet movie.

Was the plot reasonably entertaining? I guess. Were there occasional funny and absurd moments? Yeah. Did they get the tone of the Muppets down? Sort of. Unfortunately, "reasonably", "occasional", and "sort of" are the last three words I would ever want to apply to something as weirdly inspired and proudly original as the Muppets.

Maybe having Jason Segal write and star in this movie was a mistake. The Muppets should have been the stars of this show, not him. If your desperate for a Muppet fix, I'm sure you'll be somewhat pleased with this movie. Otherwise see it on DVD.
  4. Dec 12, 2011
    A pretty average movie, the humor ranged from good to very meh. The best moments were the fourth wall breaking bits that lampshaded the absurdity of the movie, but even some of those fell flat. Some of the musical numbers were also amusing, but, overall, it was only an okay movie.

In short: You won't regret watching it, but you wouldn't regret missing it either.
  5. Dec 17, 2011
    As a movie that is intended to be about the Muppets, this film seemed overly concerned with it's human characters. While that approach works in movies like Muppet Treasure Island, this movie is an attempt to pander to fans of the old Muppet TV show, and therefore renders the human plot unnecessary. The Muppet humor is done quite well, and I expect fans of the show or the movies will beAs a movie that is intended to be about the Muppets, this film seemed overly concerned with it's human characters. While that approach works in movies like Muppet Treasure Island, this movie is an attempt to pander to fans of the old Muppet TV show, and therefore renders the human plot unnecessary. The Muppet humor is done quite well, and I expect fans of the show or the movies will be pleased with it, however there isn't nearly enough of it and it takes about twenty minutes of the film to even get to the first real bit of it. The new Muppet, Walter, is pretty pathetic (he looks like a Sesame Street reject, and acts about the same), and the movie's "villain" is even worse (he raps, and he's bad at it). The overall plot is extremely predictable, and the human actors seem like they're just reading lines. Final verdict: There are 50 minutes of good old fashioned Muppet laughs here, but you have to get through 50 minutes of mediocre (at best) filmmaking to get to the good stuff. Expand
  6. Nov 25, 2011
    As a kid in the 70's, I obviously loved the Muppets in their prime. This film is cute, and it's fun to be reintroduced to the characters (esp. the always amazing Miss Piggy), but the movie as a vehicle fell flat for me. There were 3 or 4 deathly slow moments that almost lost me. For those on the fence, I'd suggest renting the original.
  7. Jan 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nothing says "keep out" quite like an electric fence. The visitors, however, aren't deterred, not even after Walter gets fried trying to scale the high voltage security system, which protects the faded green star from his public. Kermit has become a recluse, living alone in a Shangri La-like mansion, bitter over being surpassed by the far-edgier Avenue Q puppets(disguised as The Moopets, here). 80's Robot, a sort of manservant(shades of Sunset Boulevard), is his Rosebud. It's not 1979 anymore. In The Muppet Movie, the narrative culminates with the burgeoning theatrical players stepping into the lair of Worldwide Studio head Lew Lord. The very familiar man behind the desk appraises them, then over the intercom, tells his secretary to prepare a contract, which allows the frog to direct the Muppets' origin story. Sitting alone on his director's chair in an empty soundstage, it's hard not to imagine Kermit as a stand-in for Orson Welles, on the verge of directing his own Citizen Kane, a first film without any studio interference. Ironically, in The Muppets, Kermit has turned into Charles Foster Kane. He's Citizen Frog, an exorbitantly wealthy amphibian who lost his empire...and pig. Without Kermit no longer acting as her impresario, Miss Piggy, no doubt, found out the truth about her singing, just like Kane's second wife, the failed opera singer. Like Mrs. Kane, the pig realized that her popularity was rigged, due to the undue influence of a powerful alpha male. But whereas, the opera singer ends up on skid row, eking out a living as a club owner, Miss Piggy thrives, serving as the editor of French Vogue. The pig wears Prada. Still harboring a grudge over the frog breaking off their wedding engagement, Kermit leaves France without his muse. "You never intended to marry me," the pig complains, and frustratingly, due to the thematic parameters of a children's movie, Kermit's misgivings about the woman whose likeness adorns his entrance gate, is never brought to light. Past films offer clues, though. In "The Muppets Take Manhattan", the beautiful swine expresses her jealousy over the frog's friendship with a NYC waitress, whom the pig misinterprets as a love interest. As it so happens, Juliana has fashion designing aspirations. Miss Piggy's meteoric rise in the haute coutre industry could be a response to her paranoia about an interspecies relationship, more kinkier than their own. Unlike past Muppet projects, the subject of sex emerges from the subtext. Surely, the frog and the pig, and for that matter, Gonzo and his harem of chickens(Camilla is a swinger), got it on, but there was never any evidence of animal lust, no godforsaken byproduct of cross-breeding. But in The Muppets, there is verifiable proof that sex occurred between a puppet and a human. Walter isn't Gary's imaginary friend, but an actual flesh and blood brother, so to speak. In a montage, an off-screen adult, a human one, presumably the mother, measures both boys against the side of a doorway, where Gary sets new highs in verticality throughout their shared childhood, while Walter remains forever short, victimized by a form of dwarfism. The father, the probable muppet and absentee dad, isn't around to help his son feel normal. Lucky for Walter, the human brother does what he can to assimilate the felt one, but to some degree, as suggested by the post-modern diegesis, the film, therefore the subject, approaches his "skin" as an egregious malady, a disease. At the carnival, the movie references Rocky Dennis from "Mask", in the scene where Walter sees himself as a tall person in the same sort of funhouse mirror that the deformed boy, afflicted with a cranial enlargement disorder called lionitis, realizes his dream of normalcy through the same reflection trick. Walter's reaction to The Muppet Show is telling; it's the first time he lays eyes on his own kind, way back when Kermit could lay claim to being a comedy king. Now the frog is a has-been, or worse, a never-was, thanks to a history-challenged modern audience, too young to remember the puppet troupe's heyday. Their nearly non-existent cultural currency entails that they abduct a celebrity(Jack Black) to host a comeback show, bringing to mind, for some, Martin Scorsese's The King of Comedy, in which Rupert Pupkin kidnaps a Johnny Carson-type named Jerry Langford. The broadcast just happens to be a telethon, the genre that links The Muppets to the 1983 film, since Langford is played by Jerry Lewis, the host of so many MDA shows. In The King of Comedy, Rupert has a hard time distinguishing fantasy from reality, the same dilemma bedeviling Kermit, who believes that they're close to reaching the ten million dollar plateau, when in actuality, the tote board reads something far short. The people in the audience: Are they real? After all, the show starts with an empty studio. And what about the mob outside? Does this all play in Kermit's head? Expand
  8. Dec 7, 2011
    Based on so raving reviews (here and on IMDb) and with the fact that I really liked the characters when I was a kid, I went to see it tonight. Maybe I shouldn't have read them and kept my expectations low...
    It felt like a good joke stretched out for an hour and a half. There WERE some funny moments, but I agree with spr123: seeing all those people dancing in a 60s musical was kind of weird.
    This movie was SO over the top with this "let's break into this song" whenever a character is given a question.
    Maybe it's just me - since I don't like that "Glee" series either - but I was really disappointed with what they done with my beloved characters.
  9. Nov 25, 2011
    Good, not great. Considering I'm not an avid fan of the Muppets and not having seen any of the movies or the original shows, I'm wondering what I'm missing that excels the movie into "Best of the Year" territory. Every other joke works, but it makes for a very uneven movie. Some of the film's editing is very sloppy, especially towards the beginning. I supposed you could say that due to theGood, not great. Considering I'm not an avid fan of the Muppets and not having seen any of the movies or the original shows, I'm wondering what I'm missing that excels the movie into "Best of the Year" territory. Every other joke works, but it makes for a very uneven movie. Some of the film's editing is very sloppy, especially towards the beginning. I supposed you could say that due to the limits of puppetry, but I say they could have done a better job. The musical numbers also have some problems, mostly considering that there's no real point to them. The numbers are short, don't feature great singing, and the dances are pretty simplistic. Of course this is no "Singin' in the Rain" or "Sound of Music", but it still pains me to see such weak musical efforts in a movie that could've benefited from them. That said, I still enjoyed The Muppets. It's a fun, family-friendly movie filled to the brim for nostalgia. Just don't go in expecting the best movie all year. Expand
  10. Dec 19, 2011
    I wanted so much to like this movie. I'm a big fan of the Muppets, having watched the Muppet Show on television in the 70s and the movies in the 80s. Maybe it's because my expectations were so high due to the great overall reviews, but I was extremely disappointed. The plot felt like something I've seen a hundred times before and was very predictable. The first 3/4 of this film wasI wanted so much to like this movie. I'm a big fan of the Muppets, having watched the Muppet Show on television in the 70s and the movies in the 80s. Maybe it's because my expectations were so high due to the great overall reviews, but I was extremely disappointed. The plot felt like something I've seen a hundred times before and was very predictable. The first 3/4 of this film was excruciatingly slow, and not funny, although I enjoyed the more energetic last 1/2 hour. My poor friend that went with me was squirming throughout and at one point leaned over and said "I can't believe I came to this movie", and I had to agree with him. VERY disappointing. Nothing new that hasn't been covered in previous Muppet films. I'm shocked at the great reviews. Expand
  11. Nov 27, 2011
    This movie was a little WORSE than I expected it to be. There could have been more jokes and be less serious,I did not really like the new muppet. But, I do like that jason segel is in it. I did like the story and the muppets them selves though but they did not have to introduce every single muppet.
  12. Feb 17, 2012
    The Muppets themselves carry the movie, being as funny as they always were. The humans weren't bad either and the songs were pretty good. It was also good to see the meta comedy make a return, and some of the concepts were brilliant. (Travelling by Map being a highlight).

The issue comes from the story. In effect, it's The Muppet Movie + Muppets in Manhattan + Rocky Balboa. (Heartwarming Meta Comedy + Putting on a Show under heavy adversity + Fighting irrelevancy in a modern age) The sum is not greater than it's parts unfortunately, but the character moments between our old friends and the new ones keeps this from sinking. It's the sort of film you'd watch if it was on TV, but be a little dissapointed to pay £8-10 to see. But at least it was better than Muppets from Space.
  13. Apr 10, 2012
    Enjoyable, but there wasn't enough depth to make it great. If you want to see a well produced love letter to the Muppets than this is the film for you. Pros: It's the muppets and probably would be fun for kids/families. Some of the music is good. Cons: It's a very simple and very cliched story. While some of the humour is funny and would probably appeal to a kid, for the most part mightEnjoyable, but there wasn't enough depth to make it great. If you want to see a well produced love letter to the Muppets than this is the film for you. Pros: It's the muppets and probably would be fun for kids/families. Some of the music is good. Cons: It's a very simple and very cliched story. While some of the humour is funny and would probably appeal to a kid, for the most part might leave an adult silent. Expand
  14. May 22, 2012
    This movie for me was only able to be "cute". Segal and Adams were charming enough, hamming it up during their scenes. I have never been a fan of the Muppets, so I was unable to enjoy it purely for nostalgia purposes. There was some breaking of the fourth wall, the movie was self-aware and you could see Segal's touch and humor throughout. There weren't many jokes for a mature audience,This movie for me was only able to be "cute". Segal and Adams were charming enough, hamming it up during their scenes. I have never been a fan of the Muppets, so I was unable to enjoy it purely for nostalgia purposes. There was some breaking of the fourth wall, the movie was self-aware and you could see Segal's touch and humor throughout. There weren't many jokes for a mature audience, and I found myself never laughing through this picture. If you are a fan of the Muppets and Segal, you will probably enjoy this and all the celebrity cameos. Otherwise, there are much more intelligent family friendly films out there. For the most part, this was just silly (borderline dumb) fun. Expand
  15. Mar 19, 2014
    While its not as good as it could have been The Muppets is an enjoyable film. Fans of the Muppets will be happy to see their favorite characters again and the film does its purpose as far as bringing the Muppets back so we can have more Muppet movies. What prevents this film from being spectacular is an unfocused narrative, unfocused characters, and a somewhat rehashed plot. However, whenWhile its not as good as it could have been The Muppets is an enjoyable film. Fans of the Muppets will be happy to see their favorite characters again and the film does its purpose as far as bringing the Muppets back so we can have more Muppet movies. What prevents this film from being spectacular is an unfocused narrative, unfocused characters, and a somewhat rehashed plot. However, when the Muppets do get back together you will be taken back to your childhood and the film will make you smile. I only wish the film was as good as The Muppets Movie. Expand
  16. Mar 14, 2014
    Clearly crafted with love for all things "Muppets". You can tell that almost everyone involved in the making of this movie truly has some fantastic memories about these characters. The only problem I had was that the movie too often forsakes humor in favor of sentimentality. I have no doubt that those who grew up with the Muppets will appreciate this, but as someone who didn't I had a hardClearly crafted with love for all things "Muppets". You can tell that almost everyone involved in the making of this movie truly has some fantastic memories about these characters. The only problem I had was that the movie too often forsakes humor in favor of sentimentality. I have no doubt that those who grew up with the Muppets will appreciate this, but as someone who didn't I had a hard time seeing what made those fans laugh. The humor is truly lacking.

That's not to say that there isn't any humor, on the contrary there are a few laugh-out-loud funny moments here and there, but they are few and far between. Really all I find that the film has going for it is nostalgia. I did appreciate the vast number of fantastic cameos, and I'll admit I was never really bored by the film, I just wasn't really entertained. If you're a longtime fan of the Muppets than there is definitely something here for you. If you're not then it might be better to skip this one and wait for the sequel. It's clear that this film solely focuses on old memories, so newcomers will find little new memories to make. At least not any that are all that positive. I give it a 5/10-Mediocre.
  17. Jul 23, 2013
    An average family movie with some laughs to be had. Predictable plot, pretty standard characters, don't expect much, if not for anything else watch it for all the celebrity cameos.

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Feb 6, 2012
    Made absolutely for grown-up fans, this is the Muppets as you fondly remember them: funny, smart and gleefully insane. Kermit, it's great to have you back.
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Dec 27, 2011
    It may not entirely work as a movie, but The Muppets shines as a piece of touching pop nostalgia.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Nov 23, 2011
    Like Statler and Waldorf, older viewers may kvetch and cavil about the details, but when that red velvet curtain goes up, we wouldn't give up our balcony seats for the world.