8.6

1. Feb 18, 2013
    I really liked this movie up until the end. Depp's search for the books and the variations he found among them was very interesting. However, I thought the end was schmaltzy and not in keeping with the rest of the film. The scenes involving the meeting of the secret society and the death of Depp's client were particularly silly. It could have been really wonderful had the end lived upI really liked this movie up until the end. Depp's search for the books and the variations he found among them was very interesting. However, I thought the end was schmaltzy and not in keeping with the rest of the film. The scenes involving the meeting of the secret society and the death of Depp's client were particularly silly. It could have been really wonderful had the end lived up to expectations based on the rest of the movie. Collapse
  2. Mar 13, 2014
    If you simply want a movie that tells a story without having climaxes, this movie is for you
    The plot is great, the mood is great - but the movie is slow. Which I personally really enjoy but it sure isn't something for everyone.
  3. Aug 24, 2013
    A masterpiece that's highly underrated!!!! It's very hard to make a movie like that these days. Watch and enjoy THE NINTH GATE!!!! One of Roman's and Depp's best!!!
  4. Oct 21, 2011
    Masterpiece, Polanski should be proud of this one.
    A Dark occult feature, feels like a film noir although it is not, great performance by the ensemble lead by Johnnie Depp.
  5. telmoo.
    Jun 20, 2006
    Special, unforgettable, surrealist, explendid.
  6. Mar 24, 2011
    Utterly...utterly...boring. Nothing ever happens. I give it a 2 just because I am a fan of Lena Olin. The movie is perfect from a cinematographic point of view, except maybe for the protragonist's disgusting habit of lighting up a cigarette every 5 minutes. But the story is so lame, it is hard to stay awake. The devil is too stupid to get a simple book ? Bad news for all the evil people inUtterly...utterly...boring. Nothing ever happens. I give it a 2 just because I am a fan of Lena Olin. The movie is perfect from a cinematographic point of view, except maybe for the protragonist's disgusting habit of lighting up a cigarette every 5 minutes. But the story is so lame, it is hard to stay awake. The devil is too stupid to get a simple book ? Bad news for all the evil people in the world, when their own boss is so dumb... Expand
  7. Jan 11, 2014
    Interesting story, yet cheesy dialogue and lame directing. Could have been epic had someone like maybe David Lynch directed it. Very boring.. disappointing.
  8. GaryK.
    Mar 3, 2001
    I found it slow paced and boring. The ending is rather abrupt and unsatisfying.
  9. AaronJ.
    Jun 6, 2004
    Excellent movie. Great mysticism etc.
  10. SheenaB.
    Jun 9, 2002
    That movie was EXCELLENT! I loved it!
  11. TravisC.
    Sep 2, 2002
    A film that had me totally engrossed into its depths, hanging on every word & each scene as if my life depended upon it...until the last 2 minutes of the ending, then it went thud. All in all...I'll watch it over & over again just for the first 3/4 of this film.
  12. KeanesL.
    Feb 9, 2004
    This was a wonderful movie. I loved it. You can't go wrong with Johnny Depp.
  13. VincentF.
    May 5, 2004
    The movie is slow paced yet never boring. The open ending is the only suitable ending for this movie.
  14. MichaelK.W.H.
    Jun 10, 2002
    One of those films you have to watch twice (or thrice), a film, that does not end after viewing but needs some thinking. Not brilliant in my view, but interesting and unusual.
  15. GobelD.
    Aug 31, 2002
    An intelligent, mature movie on a mostly misunderstood theme. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.
  16. YoonMinC.
    Oct 28, 2003
    Polanski's attempt at Angel Heart which was like Parker's attempt at Mr. Arkadin. While the movie is steeped in gothic style and has creepy cerebral atmosphere there's no satisfactory climax at the end of the long dark tunnel. Depp has little to do, and I wish Polanski would stop using his wife to play movie whore.
  17. sujanawill
    Oct 15, 2007
    The 1st portion was COOL but later part is really bad but depp is excellent.
  18. SpencerG.
    Feb 11, 2004
    A movie for the intellectuals.
  19. raVen
    Aug 15, 2004
    [***PLOT REVELATIONS***] (7.5) I loved 99% of this movie...The atmosphere...the building and darkening suspense...the double take of realizing Lena Olin doesn't use stairs...Depp is pricelessly Depp. But what he doesn't know, poor Johnny, is that instead of looking for the lost copies of an ancient book, he should have been looking for the last pages of the screenplay. Because[***PLOT REVELATIONS***] (7.5) I loved 99% of this movie...The atmosphere...the building and darkening suspense...the double take of realizing Lena Olin doesn't use stairs...Depp is pricelessly Depp. But what he doesn't know, poor Johnny, is that instead of looking for the lost copies of an ancient book, he should have been looking for the last pages of the screenplay. Because when the ending finally comes, it doesn't. Expand

1. Elegant, scary fun.
  2. Reviewed by: Jay Carr
    A supernatural thriller that is neither super, natural, nor thrilling.
  3. A film not even a star as foxed and foxy as Johnny Depp himself could save.