New Line Cinema | Release Date: June 25, 2004
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 458 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleDec 15, 2016
A stirring romance film between a creepy stalker and an emotional mess, The Notebook is a film that needs no introduction. Everybody knows about The Notebook and a review will hardly convince you to change your stance. Personally, it was justA stirring romance film between a creepy stalker and an emotional mess, The Notebook is a film that needs no introduction. Everybody knows about The Notebook and a review will hardly convince you to change your stance. Personally, it was just fine. Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams lack chemistry whatsoever and their section is entirely typical. However, the old people are tremendous and provide all of the spark this film needs and it is a shame that it focuses on the wrong story for much of the runtime. That said, Gosling and McAdams do turn in good performances, even if their part lacks fire or punch. Instead, it rides on cliches and turns in a bland romance billed as epic.

I love romance films. I honestly do like chick flicks too. Not in a guilty pleasure way either. I simply like good cinema. The genre does not matter. The target demographic does not matter. Thus, my mixed feelings towards The Notebook are not as a result of being a guy and not liking romance movies. Rather, it is how lazy the section with young Noah Calhoun (Gosling) and Allie Hamilton (McAdams) is and how much it could have been. Often, romance movies opt to have their couples "meet cute". The Notebook takes a unique approach and instead just as Noah awkwardkly threaten to kill himself if Allie did not go on a date with him and creepily stalk her around both a carnival and in the town. How charming. Like, I know it is Ryan Gosling, but this girl should be calling the cops before he sends her his ear as a gift. Oddly though, they are well-matched for one another. Both possessing a propensity for cheating on their significant others when apart, Allie is also incredibly flawed. Slapping Noah during fights, spazzing out randomly, falling apart emotionally regularly, and indecisive, Allie is hardly a catch herself. Like, I know it is Rachel McAdams, but this guy should probably be moving along. Fortunately, he is a creep and she is an oddly abusive and emotional drama queen. It is like a beautiful match made in heaven. In a nutshell, this film is, "If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best."

Fortunately, the section with the older version of the couple is breathtakingly emotional and tender. Love defined, this portion of the film is stunning. Starring James Garner as the older Noah and Gena Rowlands as the older Allie, the couple has incredible chemistry. Noah is now quite frail and had suffered multiple heart attacks in recent times. Allie has dementia and cannot remember Noah or their family. Yet, Noah does not give up and continues to read their story to her in order to help her remember him. The fleeting moments where she does are stunning. Chills, tears, and love, follow whenever they can hold each other and both know that they love one another. These moments are quickly followed up by Allie again forgetting and are powerful, emphasized by the tears in Noah's eyes as Allie gets covered in the fog once again. The ending may be a bit manipulative, but damn if it is not incredibly well-written and deserving of more screentime.

The other major plus here is Allie's mother, Ann Hamilton (Joan Allen). Though the situation her daughter found herself in is repugnant, the scene of Ann and Allie driving through South Carolina for Ann to help her daughter figure out what she wanted is great. Packed with emotion and terrific acting by Allen, this what-if scene of risky love versus safe love is powerful. While I did not identify with Allie's scenario, this moment and the emotional performance by Allen in this scene stand as a real highlight in the film.

It is fair to say I did not get what I expected from The Notebook. I figured the Gosling and McAdams portion would deliver the goods. Unfortunately, it was greatly disappointing. Though blessed with lush period detail and some great date scenes (laying in the road to watch the traffic light), this one is largely derailed by cliches and unethical characters. Yet, the portion of the older couple is profound and a thoroughly moving look at dementia, aging, and love through time. It is sad that The Notebook is not remembered for this section, which truly sets it apart from other chick flicks or romance films.
Antgiog1202May 20, 2016
Romance is the finest miracle life has to offer human beings. With the uncontrollable desire to love a solemate brings us that motivating force to wake up every morning and appreciate our time in life. The Notebook is the definition ofRomance is the finest miracle life has to offer human beings. With the uncontrollable desire to love a solemate brings us that motivating force to wake up every morning and appreciate our time in life. The Notebook is the definition of adoration and love between two vastly beautiful individuals. It can tunnel into the inner core of our hearts and can stupidly play with our emotions. Though, it doesn't surpass the obvious cliches we would expect out of this genre. The playful dialouge, the breakup, and the reconciliation moment are all perfect examples of cliches this film possesss.

The Notebook can be a hard film to watch; but it's definately worth your time!

Rating: 7/10
LzrtagwinaBurneMar 26, 2016
Slow starting, outdated music, scrappy clothes, mediocre actors, unbelievable story line, dozed off 40 mins through, woke up before the end, couldn't follow the plot & it was a 2 hour movie!!!

But it was just that DAMN cute! 10/10 would do again!
simonerodriguezMar 13, 2016
who ever gave this a negative score must hate life! it is one the best films i have ever seen, i can watch it again and again and again and again! ive always wanted a love like this!
csw12Nov 26, 2015
This movie will leave you wondering, moreover, gasping, about why films like this are still made... A typical love story with the only surprise or mystery throughout the entire cliche infected plot. Garbage film
vivekvermaAug 24, 2015
The Notebook is a brilliantly written intriguing story about two young lovers that most people can relate to. The movie describes how a summer love turned into a pure and inseprable love. The movie is filled with fabulous quotes andThe Notebook is a brilliantly written intriguing story about two young lovers that most people can relate to. The movie describes how a summer love turned into a pure and inseprable love. The movie is filled with fabulous quotes and sentimental moments which makes people get lost in the story, and forget about their thoughts, or what is going on in the outside world.

The movie was adapted from the novel "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks. Nick Cassavetes directed the movie, making a great adaption. Ryan Gosling brings a great innocence to the role of Noah Calhoun in the film, one of the two main characters. Rachel McAdams plays the other half of the duo as Allie Hamilton. They both gave an astonishing performances along with James Garner who plays old Noah and Gena Rowlands who plays old Allie.

The old Allie has a disease called Alzheimer's which makes her forget about her old life, particularly her husband and the life they had spent together. The story unfolds as Old Noah reads her "The Notebook" comprising of their young love, how they met, how they fell in love, how their love grew.

Noah and Allie gave a remarkably convincing portrayal of a boy and a girl traveling down a very long road with no regard for the consequence of their unconditional love. Noah is a country boy, Allie is from city. Being from a wealthy family, she had the world at her feet while he didn't have two dimes to rub together. With Noah, Allie is a completely different person. She sees her life differently and does what she likes rather than what her parents wants for her. She is like a free bird flying high up in the sky, enjoying her life to the fullest. One of the narration of the movie says, "The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach out for more, that plants a fire in our heart and brings peace to our minds". That's what they gave each other and that's what people want in their life.

It does not matter whether you love romantic movies or hate them, this is NOT just a romantic movie it is so more than that. By the end of the movie you will feel a whole heap of emotions. It leaves it viewers to talk about the movie for a long time. This was one of the best movies I recently saw and would highly recommend to see this epic tale of love.
MarickJul 5, 2015
It is a perfect film. It's really one worth seeing .
VinceRocks123Jun 26, 2015
Not really pleasing in fact the movie was too upsetting you can easily point out the real-life hatred of Ryan and Rachel being drawn out on screen that obviously their reconciliation and love were fake, probably faker than Tommy Wiseau'sNot really pleasing in fact the movie was too upsetting you can easily point out the real-life hatred of Ryan and Rachel being drawn out on screen that obviously their reconciliation and love were fake, probably faker than Tommy Wiseau's poorly coordinated sex scenes in the romantic cult drama The Room, no wonder they never got close to each other, a hateful film It wasn't a film worth your Valentine's money to spend on seriously.

Of course you can't understand every young girls passionate love for this film they all pick it out as their favorites...... Not mine
goudamandoJun 1, 2015
I rated it with 6 stars but I think I deserved only 4; I think the flashback is good but only when you do it well, so I suggest you to start with the family picture at the garden of the hospital when they told The father that there is no hopeI rated it with 6 stars but I think I deserved only 4; I think the flashback is good but only when you do it well, so I suggest you to start with the family picture at the garden of the hospital when they told The father that there is no hope and also ask him to back home, or the death of the two. then back with the story teller. Expand
lukechristianscFeb 12, 2015
Apparently critics are giving 'The notebook' a mediocre review, i couldn't blame i actually agree, the movie starts out an old man trying to make his dementia wife Allison trying to remember when they first meet also when they fall in love;Apparently critics are giving 'The notebook' a mediocre review, i couldn't blame i actually agree, the movie starts out an old man trying to make his dementia wife Allison trying to remember when they first meet also when they fall in love; so anyway the movie starts Rachelle Mcadams and Ryan Gosling are star crossed lovers young Allison is rich young Noah is poor. It's Nicholas Sparks same cliche' in all of his movies including books. Like this movie is very cliche'd like seriously a person can't remember their love story? so James Garner makes a book about their love to make sure old Ally (Gena Rowlandsy) remember? wow what a cliche! but the cast is great and they give outstanding performances. Grade C+ Expand
HamsterPrincessJan 6, 2015
One of the most beautiful love/romance dramas. I watched this over and over again, always in tears.
Performance of Rachel and Ryan are fantastic and the chemistry between them is believable.
Men hate this movie, but us girls love it! So be it. :))
glendoflumpMay 21, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first half hour was boring, only after halfway was mildly entertaining. However, I did loudly cry and yell at my screen at the end. Sad, but ultimately boring and, for me, just didn't live up to the hype. Expand
python2000Feb 20, 2014
The most famous thing about The Notebook is probably how it is universally hated by men but loved by women. I don't hate it, but it is definitely weak and overrated. The performances are good, especially from Ryan Gosling who luckily is nowThe most famous thing about The Notebook is probably how it is universally hated by men but loved by women. I don't hate it, but it is definitely weak and overrated. The performances are good, especially from Ryan Gosling who luckily is now picking much better projects to work on. But the plot is predictable and cliched, despite many claiming it is one of the most original story lines ever. Just because a story happened in the past doesn't mean it isn't straightforward. I guessed the so called twist within the first 5 minutes (seriously that is not an exaggeration). Towards the end it gets a bit stronger and I can understand why fans call it the most emotional ending to any movie ever. To be honest The Notebook is not worth watching and is nowhere near as good as most say it is. Thank god the critics have more sense than the general public. Expand
ThegodfathersonNov 13, 2013
I’ve heard people refer to “The Notebook” as cheesy, as a ‘chick flick’ (a label very few of my colleagues can stand because of its negative connotation), as predictable and sappy. So “The Notebook” doesn’t exactly take a brain surgeon toI’ve heard people refer to “The Notebook” as cheesy, as a ‘chick flick’ (a label very few of my colleagues can stand because of its negative connotation), as predictable and sappy. So “The Notebook” doesn’t exactly take a brain surgeon to guess how the story is going to play out. And it does unapologetically play on your emotions, practically begging you to squeeze out a few tears. But here’s why I enjoyed “The Notebook”: it’s a movie you can relax and let flow over you. It’s also one of the few films out there that tells a complete story. There’s a well-defined beginning, middle, and end. “The Notebook” is a gentle romantic tale in the midst of blockbuster action films and goofball comedies. It could be argued that releasing it in mid-June is counter-programming at its best, giving adults who don’t want their senses assailed by CGI special effects a real choice at the box office. But you have to wonder if “The Notebook” would have stood a better chance of finding the right audience had it been released later in the year, when moviegoers are really ready for more intense storytelling, than during the crowded summer months. The Notebook” isn’t just a film for women. It’s a movie for anyone who wants to get lost in a beautiful story, for anyone who believes romance is still alive on film. Expand
BradySmithJun 5, 2013
Chick flick alert. This movie is just another sappy love story. If I didn't have to rate it as a critic and just gave what I think about it as a score instead of being fair, its score would be even lower. I have to give credit to theChick flick alert. This movie is just another sappy love story. If I didn't have to rate it as a critic and just gave what I think about it as a score instead of being fair, its score would be even lower. I have to give credit to the actors, because you can tell they tried their best, and one of the scenes with the old people is kinda sad, (not the ending). But this one is made purely for girls, and particularly girls who don't give a crap about how contrived the story is. Was forced to watch this in my psychology class because it deals with memory. Needless to say, I didn't like it. Expand
nirishan9Jan 21, 2013
Really, quite good and touching. Somewhat predictable and frustrating at times, overall a good watch. At some parts, it was rather boring, but nothing to complain about profusely.
YoursTrulyNov 12, 2012
Sucks d**k.
cameronmorewoodNov 8, 2012
Gosling is great. He shows a variety of strong emotions, while still keeping his cool. It's the rest of the cast the overact and rip The Notebook to shreds.
Trev29Sep 1, 2012
The director seemed to do everything in his power to make this the most over dramatic romantic movie ever. Its as if he were trying to win a prize. The movie is phony and generic.
RegOzApr 6, 2012
I can see why many people like it. Especially girls. I am myself a female spectator, yet, although I truly enjoyed, I don't find it as good as most people here seem to find it. The story is certainly beautiful, at times predictable, butI can see why many people like it. Especially girls. I am myself a female spectator, yet, although I truly enjoyed, I don't find it as good as most people here seem to find it. The story is certainly beautiful, at times predictable, but delightful just the same, and I like the performances. Still, the story is not truly original, but it has good moments and all the elements together make this movie special, not an easy movie to forget. For what it is, however...is over the average, but not much more. Expand
RodrigoBGCSep 26, 2011
Only one word describe this movie, nonsense, most of the elements of this movie simply have no sense, the ambientation is ok, but if you analize it you will realize that most of the things that happen, are simply stupid or exaggerated, is aOnly one word describe this movie, nonsense, most of the elements of this movie simply have no sense, the ambientation is ok, but if you analize it you will realize that most of the things that happen, are simply stupid or exaggerated, is a good try but a love story should be coherent Expand
saachanAug 15, 2011
I recommend this movie to many people. Because it is very nice and moved story. This is about love story. The main character is old man who loves one old woman. In the last scene, you must be cry. It is famous movie in America. I love this story!
jimmytancrediJun 21, 2011
Well, I am one of those romantic ... and I much prefer a romance to a romantic comedy (anytime!) then, so was predisposed to like the movie. Of course I heard much about it because it is the typical movie that when people talk about romance,Well, I am one of those romantic ... and I much prefer a romance to a romantic comedy (anytime!) then, so was predisposed to like the movie. Of course I heard much about it because it is the typical movie that when people talk about romance, someone mentions the conversation: "You like it? Have you seen The Notebook?" The story is too beautiful and the romantic cliches are all there (thankfully) because the novel is to be romantic, it is to have remarkable dialogues, is to have beautiful scenes, etc.. Not to mention how I cried during the 2-hour movie, it seems that nothing else matters but the happiness of two characters on television. It's over, and and I was still crying ten minutes more, nor could he comment on the scenes without thrill me again ... ahahah (I'm hopeless, I know). Those who like novels, have to see The Notebook (it took me to see, because I'm stupid). I have a list of novels to watch (or read), but I better take a break, because life without these cinematographic, would be depressing! Expand
erin6Jan 20, 2011
The first time I saw this film I hated it. The second time I saw it I hated it. The third time I saw it I loved it. I'm not sure how I ended up watching a movie I hated so many times, but the third time my husband-to-be told me to watch itThe first time I saw this film I hated it. The second time I saw it I hated it. The third time I saw it I loved it. I'm not sure how I ended up watching a movie I hated so many times, but the third time my husband-to-be told me to watch it because he said the second time he saw it he realized that you have to be very very much in love to enjoy it. He was right. I think this movie speaks to our romantic fantasies. I just never had any romantic fantasies to compare it to until they happened to me in real life. This movie is wonderful if A) You are a hopeless romantic or B) You are that in love with someone yourself. I think how good it is is all about whether you can relate to the feelings of the characters. Expand
VictoriaDMar 17, 2009
I think if more people would love like that this world would be a better place.
DanDMar 13, 2009
This movie was wonderful. Sure it may have followed the stereotypical tragic/romance, but it has done it so well. I find it disgusting that someone can not see the greatness in the film. I could say more, but it feels as if my breath is This movie was wonderful. Sure it may have followed the stereotypical tragic/romance, but it has done it so well. I find it disgusting that someone can not see the greatness in the film. I could say more, but it feels as if my breath is being wasted. Expand
HaroldTDec 29, 2008
I don't understand why people love this movie because to me these people should be n a mental hospital for screwing up films so bad.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
[Anonymous]Oct 25, 2008
Best love story ever.
AaronSep 22, 2008
This movie will leave you wondering, moreover, gasping, about why films like this are still made... A typical love story with the only surprise or mystery throughout the entire cliche infected plot being that I decided to watch it in the This movie will leave you wondering, moreover, gasping, about why films like this are still made... A typical love story with the only surprise or mystery throughout the entire cliche infected plot being that I decided to watch it in the first place. A shallow and awful attempt at what (to use stereophonics lyrics wisely) people who see no further than handbags and gladrags think love is! The acting was not terrible. It was bad, but not terrible. I think it must be difficult to act so unrealistically. The majority of the scenes are so far fetched and you can't help but feel like the writers of sex and the city could have written something more meaningful let alone believable. Some of the cinematography is well performed although, again, is subject to instant failure because of the simplicity and unrealistic portrayal of this story. I am sure, however, that many people will love this because Hollywood, yet again, has turned what was possibly a meaningful story, into an absolute (for the use of a better word) soppy, love drip mess. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
AlLMar 17, 2008
[***SPOILERS***] Goes through the romance movie playbook page-by-page. The only thing that surprised me in this movie was the distinct lack of tragedy throughout. I expected the rich girl's parents to have Noah destroyed, or jailed, or [***SPOILERS***] Goes through the romance movie playbook page-by-page. The only thing that surprised me in this movie was the distinct lack of tragedy throughout. I expected the rich girl's parents to have Noah destroyed, or jailed, or something. Instead, they just go home. I expected Noah to get maimed in the war, he merely comes home a *little* bit less jovial. I expected Allie's perfect beau to cheat on her, I thought she might develop a drinking problem, or that he would at least go after Noah with a shotgun, ANYTHING! Nope, everyone in this movie is the nicest person in the world, and nothing in their world ever goes sour. Allie is so mawkishly dishy and nice that Noah's war-widow bit-on-the-side steps gracefully aside sighing 'gosh, but she's just wooonderful!' Fellahs, your lady will love this film. But, be warned, a man who will literally wither and die without them is NOT what women want- it's what they want to want. A wise man once said 'Man who put woman on pedestal, rarely knock her off.' Expand
DickR.Aug 30, 2007
I tried to rate this movie a "14"... it's a perfect "10" plus 4 bonus points for Gosling's beard and ferris wheel climbing skills!
AndieV.Jul 2, 2007
i thought this movie was gonna be emotional and sad and beautiful, cause everyone was raving about it. then, when i watched it, it was like any ordinary "tragica" romance, some parts were emotional, but all in all, it was okay.
AbbyJul 1, 2007
Very good movie. I was honestly surprised I cried :)
SylviaV.Jul 6, 2006
its a very inspiring movie about love the story line is great i just loved it but if they didn't put so much sex it would be a great movie for my kids.
DannyW.May 31, 2006
this film is a special film to me it is the saddest film ive ever nown it makes me cry, i fell in love with the film people u need to watch this film rating.
SamL.Mar 6, 2006
I love this movie. I think this movie is the greatest movie to show the meaning of staying with your love one no matter what.
AndyP.Feb 23, 2006
Ryan Gosling is perhaps the worst actor out there working today. Yes, even worse than Orlando Bloom.
BobA.Jan 17, 2006
Knows what every adolescent and teenage girl wants to see --and delivers it. That makes it a good product, but a pretty boring movie.
JadeDec 4, 2005
10 10 10 10 10 ... i love this movie so much, coming from a girls perspective.. men might not like it all that much, but its WONDERFUL!!!
1 of 1 users found this helpful
RickZ.Nov 28, 2005
Now this is what I would call a true love story. I was blown away. This will definitely be one of my all time favorites. I can't stop thinking about it.
MeGaNSep 4, 2005
The notebook is the perfect movie for all age types. i didn't think i would like it but i actually loved it. i watched three times so far and i cried everytime. they show love as the most powerful thing. if someone hasn't seen it The notebook is the perfect movie for all age types. i didn't think i would like it but i actually loved it. i watched three times so far and i cried everytime. they show love as the most powerful thing. if someone hasn't seen it yet they have to go watch it. (bring some tissue!) Expand
RachelM.Aug 1, 2005
Ranks right there with "On Golden Pond" as the one of the most blatently manipulative, contrived movies of all time.
AmandaJul 25, 2005
Its perfect.
vikkim.Jun 14, 2005
OMG, i absolutly loved this movie!!!! I seen it 4 times at the movies! I took a diffrent friend every time, because i wanted all them to see it! I cried so many times!! it was awsome!!!
RichardT.Jun 13, 2005
Although I don't normally like movies like this, i was more then surprised when i found myself crying to it at the end, this was a great movie to rent with a partner, it will remain ne of my favororite films of all time, and thats Although I don't normally like movies like this, i was more then surprised when i found myself crying to it at the end, this was a great movie to rent with a partner, it will remain ne of my favororite films of all time, and thats saying something! Only thing i'd have to say is that its a little slow to start, its not untill 40mins onwards that you really start to get into it! overall a impressive 9. Expand
PatC.Jun 13, 2005
Way too melodramatic and simplistic, but nonetheless an insightful and moving account of the romantic transitions in our lives, from youthful compulsion to fruition to deterioration and oblivion. Particularly touching for those who have Way too melodramatic and simplistic, but nonetheless an insightful and moving account of the romantic transitions in our lives, from youthful compulsion to fruition to deterioration and oblivion. Particularly touching for those who have learned a relationship is only as strong as its memories. Expand
shannonJun 13, 2005
I thought it was predictable, but it was still really good. Made me cry, and that rarely happens.
anonymousfilmcriticMay 31, 2005
The story line was so predictable, a blind guy would have been able to see the ending if it were stranded on Saturn. it's more obvious than a punch in the face, although i'd rather endure a punch in the face a thousand times than The story line was so predictable, a blind guy would have been able to see the ending if it were stranded on Saturn. it's more obvious than a punch in the face, although i'd rather endure a punch in the face a thousand times than have to watch this sad excuse for a movie ever again. the only reason a blind guy may give this 'movie' a half-decent review is becasuse he wouldnt have had to seen it. and after i had seen it, i began to wish i were blind, just so that i would never have to see anything like that again. (Sorry if I have offended any blind people.) Expand
ToddFApr 27, 2005
This movie was awesome! This movie is exactly like my girlfriend and I. It reminded me more of us than anything ever has. It deserves better than a 10 for hitting me like it did. This movie goes straight to the heart. You can watch it 100 This movie was awesome! This movie is exactly like my girlfriend and I. It reminded me more of us than anything ever has. It deserves better than a 10 for hitting me like it did. This movie goes straight to the heart. You can watch it 100 times and its still just as good. Expand
JesseApr 24, 2005
This movie was excellent. Now, i'm 15 years old and a Male. I really do hate Romance movies and 'Chick Flicks'.I was asked to watch this movie from a Friend. I really enjoyed it. This movie was really good. I don't know This movie was excellent. Now, i'm 15 years old and a Male. I really do hate Romance movies and 'Chick Flicks'.I was asked to watch this movie from a Friend. I really enjoyed it. This movie was really good. I don't know why, there is just something about this movie that was really good. Guys, watch this movie. Expand
ClairW.Apr 6, 2005
This Movie was so good...I highly recommend it to married couples. Or couple thinking of marriage. My husband and I just rented it recently ...never saw it at the movies, unfortunately, (because I heard it wasn't good) But wow it really This Movie was so good...I highly recommend it to married couples. Or couple thinking of marriage. My husband and I just rented it recently ...never saw it at the movies, unfortunately, (because I heard it wasn't good) But wow it really puts your relationship in perspective. We both loved it. It changed our relationship!!! Live you life now, love your lover now, so when you are old and grey you can look back and say "I have loved someone with all my heart and soul" what an accomplishment!!!! Criticism? Just a few little things bothered me...Like....It would have been a good idea to make James Garner dye his hair white or maybe even find someone who looked a little more like an old Ryan Gosling. Even though he did a wonderful performance (James Garner) I would have liked to see at least Ryan's (Noah's) eyes in another actor. Because when he reminisces and looks back at old pictures of the couple, you think it's a totally different couple....Also when they danced at the end, I wished they had used the same Billy Holiday song (I'll be seeing you) instead of Jimmy Durante. Still my favorite love story to date!!! The deleted second love scene is HOT! Expand
JASIVMar 19, 2005
Was prepared for another dreary and sappy "chick-flick" and I was very suprised to like this film so much. It's extremely well-made and contains top-notch performances. Unlike many films of this type, The Notebook held my interest from Was prepared for another dreary and sappy "chick-flick" and I was very suprised to like this film so much. It's extremely well-made and contains top-notch performances. Unlike many films of this type, The Notebook held my interest from beginning to end.....I didn't yawn once! Expand
BJDixonMar 15, 2005
I love Nicholas Sparks books. His movies tend to be a little dull. This one is tender and loving, but for me, it was much better because I've read the book twice. I found it very sad because my mother had dementia. In that same thought, I love Nicholas Sparks books. His movies tend to be a little dull. This one is tender and loving, but for me, it was much better because I've read the book twice. I found it very sad because my mother had dementia. In that same thought, that made this movie a little far fetched because no-one with dementia looks as good as Allie. But I still recommend the movie to anyone that likes romance. Expand
AnonymousMCMar 3, 2005
I firmly believe that all of those people voting are the same Ryan Gosling-loving fangirl with too much time on her hands. This movie was boring, from start to finish. I wished for it to be sad enough to make me cry, just so that I would haveI firmly believe that all of those people voting are the same Ryan Gosling-loving fangirl with too much time on her hands. This movie was boring, from start to finish. I wished for it to be sad enough to make me cry, just so that I would have something to do. Unfortunately, this tepid love story of a man and a woman with no chemistry failed to moisten my eyes. And I'm a girl. I guess I'm just too hardcore. Expand
[Anonymous]Mar 1, 2005
Best love story ever.
JillianH.Feb 26, 2005
OMG! This is sooooh amazing! The only other movie that made me shed a teardrop, Ryan Gosling is soooh hott!!! A must see!!
KarinaB..Feb 21, 2005
The movie was AMAZING, sad, romantic, sweet heart wwarming and much more...PLUS (Ryan Gosling is soooo hot.!!!!!
BebeC.Feb 19, 2005
This is a great show. The ladies will love this one. Even if they are hardcore.
DavidD.Feb 16, 2005
Notebook was one of the most touch and emotional movies I have ever watched. It has the same sentimental reaction as the Joy Luck Club. I found the storyline intriguing and slightly unexpected. The only criticism I would have is that the Notebook was one of the most touch and emotional movies I have ever watched. It has the same sentimental reaction as the Joy Luck Club. I found the storyline intriguing and slightly unexpected. The only criticism I would have is that the acting is not 100% believable and the snobbish characters are a little too cliché. Expand
TySFeb 16, 2005
As has been said ..... The Critics know JACK ! They give so many good scores to movies that leave your mind the second the end credits are rolling yet pan something as great as The Notebook which has my wife and I still talking about it. WHo As has been said ..... The Critics know JACK ! They give so many good scores to movies that leave your mind the second the end credits are rolling yet pan something as great as The Notebook which has my wife and I still talking about it. WHo knows... maybe you have to be in some sort of long relationship to truly get this one ? Loved the movie.. Won't ruin it for those who have not seen but make sure you have the kleenex on hand. EXCELLENT !!!! Expand
AleP.Feb 14, 2005
Is the Best.
KelleyW.Feb 13, 2005
I loved this movie and my fiancee thomas just feel in love with the notebook, it was everything we thought it would be nicholas sparks should do more movies with his books.. thanks kelle and thomas.
elyseb.Feb 13, 2005
It was one of the best movies i have ever seen! Ya totaly a chick flick, but never cried so much in my life over a movie! :S
sophiep.Feb 11, 2005
Possibly the best romantic film iv seen..made me laugh and cry.
ClintMFeb 9, 2005
Ok, so it's intentionally designed to make you cry like a baby!! Is that such a bad thing??? I absolutely loved this movie. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling have such a real and relatable chemistry and it was a delight to watch their Ok, so it's intentionally designed to make you cry like a baby!! Is that such a bad thing??? I absolutely loved this movie. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling have such a real and relatable chemistry and it was a delight to watch their interaction. I was really surprised too by Rachel, having come from "Mean Girls" to this. She proved that she's more than just another Jamie Presley or Shannon Elizabeth; she's a really talented actress! But what really breaks your heart are the touching scenes between James Garner and Gena Rowlands. If their bond and love alone doesn't bring you to tears (or darn near close!) you've got a heart of stone. The movie depicts true love and devotion to someone until the very end. And that was a beautiful thing. Expand
DebRFeb 2, 2005
I loved it...so romantic!
SaraJan 20, 2005
I loved this movie, it was romantic, sad, and a tearjerker, everyone in the theater was balling by the end!
SophiaJ.Dec 24, 2004
My favorite movie. Its me and my husband....
JoeA.Nov 13, 2004
A decent love story, though I wasn't quite convinced of the undeniable connection between the main characters. That said, my other half was :-)
BitBurnNov 1, 2004
Screw the bad critics! The Notebook was a very romantic and well-done "not-too-cheesy-too-chick-flick" movie!! Acting was superb and I love Rachel McAdams!! And James Garner is still very convincing, as usual.
emilycSep 20, 2004
This was the sweetest movie ever made! the whole sotry is so touching. this movie shows you what ture love is like and that it is still alive!
LaneSep 2, 2004
I must have been watching something different from the critics? Without a doubt the most satisfying movie of the year with outstanding perfomances by all of the lead actors. This is what a movie is supposed to be. Simply fantastic. Hello I must have been watching something different from the critics? Without a doubt the most satisfying movie of the year with outstanding perfomances by all of the lead actors. This is what a movie is supposed to be. Simply fantastic. Hello critics, are you listening? Expand
JennAug 31, 2004
This movie is absolutely perfect from the acting to the story line to the beautiful scenery. It captures the essence of the love that everyone wants but not everyone achieves. Maybe the critics should pay attention when watching it so that This movie is absolutely perfect from the acting to the story line to the beautiful scenery. It captures the essence of the love that everyone wants but not everyone achieves. Maybe the critics should pay attention when watching it so that they can see what everyone else is seeing! Expand
ShannonS.Aug 26, 2004
Best Movie I've Ever seen.
LarryC.Aug 21, 2004
The performances are so terrific and the film so heartfelt, it transcends the soap opera foundation! The four lead actors are all wonderful but keep an eye out for Joan Allen whose performance as the mother reminds you what a quietly The performances are so terrific and the film so heartfelt, it transcends the soap opera foundation! The four lead actors are all wonderful but keep an eye out for Joan Allen whose performance as the mother reminds you what a quietly powerful actor she is! Expand
NatalieJ.Aug 19, 2004
I loved this movie! I want to go see it again and again! Its a beautiful love story and I'm buying it on DVD when it comes out! I cried a ton when I saw it!
DarrenAug 15, 2004
Tremendous movie. What were the professional critics watching to give this a score of 52? Word of mouth flick just blew me away. James Garner wins best supporting actor hands down. DVD will be a blockbuster hit.
LorraineR.Aug 14, 2004
Excellent film. Brought back those same feelings you first got when you say movies like Beaches, Dirty Dancing and Iris.
JaneSAug 2, 2004
I did not know what to really expect going in and i greatly surprised. i thought the actors did a wonderful job making the movie come to life. you really feel for them because their performances truly draw you in. one of the best movies i I did not know what to really expect going in and i greatly surprised. i thought the actors did a wonderful job making the movie come to life. you really feel for them because their performances truly draw you in. one of the best movies i have seen in awhile. Expand
KristinJul 27, 2004
This movie is indeed a great movie that reaches to your heart about true love and life. Excellent job.
DavidH.Jul 23, 2004
Kel R I feel so sorry for you as obviously something similar to what occurred in the movie once happened to you. It is a story of life that makes it so fascinating. Have you ever heard of opposites attract? In the movie there is one line Kel R I feel so sorry for you as obviously something similar to what occurred in the movie once happened to you. It is a story of life that makes it so fascinating. Have you ever heard of opposites attract? In the movie there is one line where Noah says "you are a pain in the ass 99% of the time but I still love you." That is what love is truly about. It doesn't matter if you fight or are from opposite side of the tracks! When you meet that someone special no matter what you say or do, you can never let go. I feel sorry Kel that you are hurting so bad that this message was apparently lost on you. By your own words you make this film a masterpiece. By the way, you should have stuck around for the ending. Expand
LLJul 22, 2004
Amazing movie, by far my favorite love story.
KelR.Jul 21, 2004
I'm still trying to swallow the vomit this movie induced. It's cliche all of the way and full of the typical feminist view of how love should be. I'll give you my summary: Boy risks life for a date with girl she accepts at the I'm still trying to swallow the vomit this movie induced. It's cliche all of the way and full of the typical feminist view of how love should be. I'll give you my summary: Boy risks life for a date with girl she accepts at the moment but later on lies and says she won't, boy has to plead for a date finally she accepts. They have greatest date ever because he's her opposite and a rebel, although their relationship isn't good they have that sexual attraction going on. Girls parents are rich and boys parents are not so girls parents destroy the romance. Years go by and the girl finds a great guy, but she occasionally thinks of boy. Boy gets back from war and is a total wreak, he cannot forget girl, and every little thing he does is still for the girl (although the girl never does anything for him). It's insanely stupid but girl and boy have a chance meeting and shortly there after have alot of sex. For some reason girl doesn't even give a damn about that great guy (her fiancee) she promised to marry but that doesn't seem to bother her in the least. And everything after that I don't know because I left the theater. This movie is a putrified, maggot infested, diseased corpse on the side of the road, avoid it like the plague. I feel sorry for all of you people out there who think this story is about love because if you believe these lies you'll never discover what love is really about. Expand
JanetJul 18, 2004
The best movie of the year. I just loved it.
KatiePJul 18, 2004
Much to my surprise.. it was actually really good. Who knew. It was obviously predictable.. but who cares? it was a nice love story.
CarmellaH.Jul 17, 2004
A true love story. Sweet and simple, yet effective.
LassisterJul 16, 2004
The Best movie playing right now. It is an old fashioned love story the kind that they do not make any more. You really care about all of the characters and the acting, screenplay and directing are all first rate. What a wonderful surprise The Best movie playing right now. It is an old fashioned love story the kind that they do not make any more. You really care about all of the characters and the acting, screenplay and directing are all first rate. What a wonderful surprise for the general public. Only proves again that professional critics have no idea of the pulse of the average movie goer. Make sure to see it and enjoy. Expand
Red,White&BlueJul 14, 2004
Simply fantastic. One of the most satisfying films of the year. James Garner must be considered for Best Supporting Actor. Don't miss it.
JackD.Jul 14, 2004
This is a word-of-mouth movie. (If you're of AARP age, RUN, dont walk to your nearest theater to see it). It is the type of old-fashioned tearjerker that Hollywood almost never makes any more. Cassavetes makes his actors shine in a This is a word-of-mouth movie. (If you're of AARP age, RUN, dont walk to your nearest theater to see it). It is the type of old-fashioned tearjerker that Hollywood almost never makes any more. Cassavetes makes his actors shine in a beautifully directed and photographed movie. If you like this genre, dont miss this movie! Expand
FantasyJul 13, 2004
Friends I have seen many movies in my lifetime. Despite the professional critics giving an average score of 52, let me assure you, that if you miss this film, you'll regret it deeply. Without a doubt this is one of the best films to be Friends I have seen many movies in my lifetime. Despite the professional critics giving an average score of 52, let me assure you, that if you miss this film, you'll regret it deeply. Without a doubt this is one of the best films to be seen in many a years. I went to see it with my girlfriend on a Tuesday afternoon. It has been out for weeks. I was shocked to walk into an almost fully packed theater. I knew right away that the word of mouth had to be excellent. Was I disappointed? Not in the least. The acting and the scenery was so beautiful it made me long to be back in the 50's. There's no way I could single out any one performance as they were all excellent. Do yourself a favor and go see it today. You'll be glad you did. Love stories like this don't come around too often. Expand
KathyT.Jul 7, 2004
A wonderful touching movie about the kind of love that every woman dreams about.
ZaneM.Jul 3, 2004
I don't understand what the middling is about THE NOTEBOOK. I though it was superb, with a great story about undying love, capped off by some great performances.
MarkB.Jul 2, 2004
Ironically, this mildly pleasant-if-predictable World War II romance is being touted as one of this summer's few adult offerings, when it reminded me of nothing more than one of those overheated Sandra Dee-Troy Donahue potboilers that Ironically, this mildly pleasant-if-predictable World War II romance is being touted as one of this summer's few adult offerings, when it reminded me of nothing more than one of those overheated Sandra Dee-Troy Donahue potboilers that the too-young-to-vote-for-Kennedy-or-Nixon crowd used to steam up their car windows at the drive-in while partially watching. Main difference is that Ryan Gosling's facial hair, Rachel McAdam's dimples, and both of their combined (and considerable) charm easily trumps Sandy's blondness and Troy's blandness. Best of all is the great Joan Allen as a manipulative mom; having seen the trailer, I was fully prepared to be disappointed by the one-dimensionality of her role, but I underestimated one of my favorite actresses: she brings all kinds of nuances to the table (note her character's happy little bounces during a bridal shower) and her scene in which she reveals her own desires and longings is by far the best in the movie. Unfortunately, there's also a parallel love story featuring Gena Rowlands and James Garner that leads to a so-called surprise twist that...well, let's just say that it won't be causing M. Night Shyamalyan any sleepless night soon; if you think you've figured it out in the first 20 minutes, chances are you're right. Worse, it exploits a tragic medical condition (which has coincidentally received a lot of attention in the news lately) offensively; the fact that Rowlands and Garner are old pros who do what they're asked (Rowlands by her director son!!!) in a very effective manner doesn't remove the slightly dirty feeling I had watching them, or lift this above the level of what I'm sure at least one studio exec or Variety columnist would call a "sobsploitation film". In short, women...if you insist on dragging your significant other to see this all-too-typical "chick flick", don't blame him if he understandably insists that you sit through 5 Jean-Claude Van Damme epics to seal the deal! Expand
AlessandraS.Jul 1, 2004
One of the best movies i have ever seen. Sure, its overly sentimental but then again, thats part of the film's appeal. McAdams and Gosling have incredible chemistry. I cried the whole time.
KellyS.Jul 1, 2004
A must see!!! ryan and rachel deliver sensational performances as noah and allie. the old actors and actress is amazing too. i seriously cried from start to end!
IsabellaV.Jul 1, 2004
This movie was amazing! I fell in love with all of its characters! It was very sweet, a great date movie.
LovingL.Jul 1, 2004
One word: BEAUTIFUL.
RDJun 30, 2004
Fantastic Movie! So many are cynical about love, but this movie shows the incredible power of a loyal love that lasts a lifetime. As a satisfied customer, I say "it works!" If you havn't tried it, don't knock it. This could easily Fantastic Movie! So many are cynical about love, but this movie shows the incredible power of a loyal love that lasts a lifetime. As a satisfied customer, I say "it works!" If you havn't tried it, don't knock it. This could easily be the best movie of the year. Expand
LeighAnnP.Jun 29, 2004
Outstanding! A must see... especially if you have read the book!
VinceH.Jun 27, 2004
[***SPOILERS***] I have to agree with Chad. The last 5 minutes of this film completely ruined it for me, and had it been left out and the film ended after McAdams goes back to Gosling, it would be an 8 or 9. I recommend the film despite that[***SPOILERS***] I have to agree with Chad. The last 5 minutes of this film completely ruined it for me, and had it been left out and the film ended after McAdams goes back to Gosling, it would be an 8 or 9. I recommend the film despite that for a few reasons. The acting is uniformly superb, but suprisingly not from the always great Ryan Gosling (who was even excellent in the horrid "Murder by Numbers") but Rachel McAdams, known mostly as being the popular mean blonde girl who gets hit by a bus in "Mean Girls". She is a really great actress and this role should do for her career what "Mulholland Drive" did for Naomi Watts. The true standouts however are Garner & Rowlands, who bring real gravity and life to their roles brilliantly. Hopefully neither of them will be forgotten come next Oscar noms. Expand