Columbia Pictures | Release Date: February 29, 2008
6.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 79 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SvettyY.Mar 1, 2008
One of the most interesting movies I've seen this year. Natalie Portman demonstrates her talent in this movie.
RobertK.Mar 3, 2008
Simply an outstanding production, whether or not it is true.
kyradMay 23, 2008
Amazing movie! Great cast, powerful music and an overall thrill to watch!
HerbC.Feb 28, 2008
Great costumer with just enough sex although a bit loose with history. I enjoyed Bana and Portman the best.
JordanG.Feb 29, 2008
It was kind of short for the story it was telling and jumped ahead of time really fast and expected you to know that, but overall the movie was great and the characters did a great job expressing emotions and being people that they really It was kind of short for the story it was telling and jumped ahead of time really fast and expected you to know that, but overall the movie was great and the characters did a great job expressing emotions and being people that they really aren't. Expand
MaLNov 23, 2008
I really enjoyed this fresh take on the Henry VIII story--instead of another retelling of the entire historical event,which already has been done so many times, this zooms in and focuses on some of the lesser known individuals. It shows the I really enjoyed this fresh take on the Henry VIII story--instead of another retelling of the entire historical event,which already has been done so many times, this zooms in and focuses on some of the lesser known individuals. It shows the price of greed and ambition so great that all else, family loyalty, love, marriage vows, even faith, can be easily changed or traded. It was daring in that it used some controversial theories (like the book's author, apparently) by historians, and not just the textbook version in grade schools; it is actually not all just artistic license, although there is some of that as in most films based on factual events. Glad to see something original and not just another stodgy re-telling of the same old story, without covering new ground! Expand
EkaterinafromRussiaMar 22, 2008
I really liked the film...it's unforgettable and it makes you think - so many time has passed, but actually not so many habits changed.
CristinaGJan 24, 2009
Not sure why the critics slammed it. It was definitely better than the reviews made it out to be.
RONGIUOct 11, 2010
Sorry, mechanical translation.

Sorry, mechanical translation.

The beauty of this film, supported by a cast worthy of the name, and a director (Justin Chadwick) that I brought to mind the tricks that Ignatius gives the devil when it engages nell'assalto the fortress of the soul cast , dismissed, on the one hand, struggles, and work on brains, just to penetrate another. I said, this movie gives you the opportunity to practice and entering, within the limits of its ability, in a more or less systemic analysis of the characters involved.

This analysis, however, does not want to be in vain, to set goals, first of all to improve, not to fall into the same mistakes of our predecessors. Critical reflection on what we see, hear, read, and then that leads us to action, must be constant. The importance of this exercise improves the degree of civilization of our planet, which currently consider to be, in my personal scale of values that I call "State Collapse Terrestrial Civil - Civil Earthly State of Collapse", amounting to 40 100.
That of Henry VIII (Eric Bana) has been a troubled life, chaotic, hectic, clerical man (Pope Leo X gave him the title of defender of the faith) because of its opposition to the theories of Luther. And anticlerical, when the passion to take over (the founder of the Anglican Church) which was established for political, religious, and especially as I said personally. Anne Boleyn (Natalie Portman) could not be his wife. Married to Catherine of Aragon, Mary was born and no male heir. And 'the political necessity of a male heir that triggers uproar in which to attend? No. The King, "He wants to have" Anna Bolena. At all costs. Failing to obtain the annulment of Rome (Pope Clement VII, fearing political repercussions by Charles V of Spain. Catherine of Aragon, wife of Henry VIII belongs to his family) strives at home. E 'parliament that relies on his desires. It 'the same Parliament to approve a series of laws that allowed the Archbishop of Canterbury to gain control of the Church of England. Since the archbishop himself is under the authority of the King, it becomes the highest authority. The games are made, marries Anne Boleyn. But this marriage will cost much blood, how many unjust decisions, foolish, will be taken. Among them, the death sentence imposed on Thomas, an opponent of the reform and coiner of the term UTOPIA. At London's King, anything is possible. The ad personam "laws have always existed.

A criticism on himself, he probably would have done well to Henry VIII, that is, stopping a moment to analyze what has been done. The damage would have been less sure. There are many other things to say, but the beauty of cinema is just that, allows you to search, investigate, go further.
For example:
â
avatar16Nov 9, 2011
Je veux bien comprendre que pour la plupart, ce film ne sera qu'un long et pénible mélodramatique historique à suivre avec ennui. Pour les autres, Deux Soeurs pour un Roi est ce qu'il est,Je veux bien comprendre que pour la plupart, ce film ne sera qu'un long et pénible mélodramatique historique à suivre avec ennui. Pour les autres, Deux Soeurs pour un Roi est ce qu'il est, c'est-à-dire un film historique de très grande envergure, très loin du spectaculaire hollywoodien, qui nous sert une très bonne brochette de comédiens (Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson, Eric Bana), de décors et de costumes, en plus d'une musique envoûtante qui donne tout son charme à l'ambiance du film. Certes long, scénario classique et mis en scène sans originalité, Deux Soeurs pour un Roi n'en reste pas moins une somptueuse fresque historique! Expand
oxanaAug 25, 2014
I am aware that after watching The Tudors lately on TV, this movie felt a little strange; a lot of familiar names shot back and forth, and it was a bit harder to draw a line between the series and the movie than I would have thought.

The

The plot itself felt a little rushed. That wasn't bothersome during the movie, but looking at it afterwards, they didn't focus on anything, really. Events, big and small, passed without any larger significance, and sometimes that felt wrong because some events were prepared for thorough the entire movie.

All in all the story was satisfactory, I must say. The acting and music were good, and the world portrayed on the screen felt very real to me.

It was clear this movie focused on the Boleyn girls, Anne and Mary, and Henry was left to the shadows. Maybe that is okay, because I don't think Eric Bana delivered Henry's part all that well. He felt so... subdued, somehow.
smiyamotJan 16, 2016
Who hasn't heard of the six wives of Henry the 8th? I recently saw "Wolfs Hall" on PBS from the viewpoint of Thomas Cromwell, who advised Henry during this time period. Interesting to see this from the Howard/Boleyn family side. All thisWho hasn't heard of the six wives of Henry the 8th? I recently saw "Wolfs Hall" on PBS from the viewpoint of Thomas Cromwell, who advised Henry during this time period. Interesting to see this from the Howard/Boleyn family side. All this scheming using sex and marriages to further family goals and social standing was fascinating to watch. I imagine it's not that different today among the rich and powerful families around the world. Expand