8.6

1. Mar 15, 2015
    (going to watch again)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2. Sep 6, 2014
    The Others is a slow burning thriller meaning that it won't be as exiting some people as it is to other people. It is manipulative, creepy and sometimes anti - religion, but Nicole Kidman pulls it off as damsels in distress.
  3. Aug 28, 2014
    The Others uses minimalism to horrify audiences in this supernatural and psychological thriller. The film measures up with other horror flicks that have decided the mind can be far scarier than violence and gore.
  4. Jul 20, 2014
    Fantastic, the film manages to keep the plot tight and neat and creates great suspense something that the six sense couldn't do so no undeveloped subplots or underwritten characters in the others.Whether The twist ending is predictable or not .who cares ? Because the characters are well written and Nicole Kidman's performance as the quirky mother is great that one of the mostFantastic, the film manages to keep the plot tight and neat and creates great suspense something that the six sense couldn't do so no undeveloped subplots or underwritten characters in the others.Whether The twist ending is predictable or not .who cares ? Because the characters are well written and Nicole Kidman's performance as the quirky mother is great that one of the most underrated performance see her facial expressions in the mirror while she is removing the sheets in that empty room.

If the others came out before the sixth sense , I bet everyone would diss the sixth sense.
  5. Jan 7, 2014
    Suspense do ├Źnicio ao Film
  6. Jun 22, 2013
    Such a sensational well crafted and thoughtful ghost story. Art direction and cinematography added such a deeper dimension into the film. Nicole Kidman gives an exceptionally well performance.
  7. Jan 5, 2013
    okay, i was shown this as per the "gothic" section of the year ten english curriculum (in australia), and DEAR ZOMBIE JESUS DOES THIS MOVIE SUCK!

first off the bat, the twist ending, for anyone observant enough, is downright obvious within the first half hour, why? m. night shayamalan made the sixth sense in 1996, a decent film that had a mind-blowing twist, in 1999, the japanese, whether they had heard of the sixth sense or not, nonetheless, refined the formula and gave us a more psychologically daunting and horrific take on the idea with silent hill, and in 2001, the others completely leeches off both of them (even the fog) to try and refine the "people who don't know they're dead" concept, which fails pitifully to bring anything fresh to the table, or to even creep me out, and even if you hadn't seen or heard of either of these things, it would still be obvious if you payed attention, because it is executed so sloppily!

secondly, the scares are NON-F**KING-EXISTENT, why? because the twist is so obvious and, just like paranormal activity, it does not give you anything to be scared of, oh, the curtains are down, how scary, oh, the plastic tarp (plastic tarp? one word: ANACHRONISM) rustled, how scary, oh, someone is walking loudly on the floor above, how scary... need i say, er... type more? only two scenes are creepy throughout the mercilessly dull 105 minute runtime: that iconic scene with anne in the pretty dress, and the scene where the housekeepers are confronting grace on the steps of her manor, after the little revelation that they're... TAKE ONE GODDAMN GUESS!

thirdly, the performances... dear god... nicole kidman is TERRIBLE, what is particularly amusing is roger ebert said the following "nicole kidman succeeds in convincing us that she is a normal person in a disturbing situation" her character is painted, from the start, as a thinly-veiled psychotic lunatic, i had no empathy for her, and because of that, all the scares that should have worked despite the poor twist fall flat, james bently was a terrible child actor playing a terrible child character, frankly, i wouldn't care if he died a violent horrific death, and that is not a good thing, alakina mann was one of three talented people in the entire movie, she was a decently realized character, and thus, i cared about her, which is why the scene i mentioned earlier worked so effectively, eric sykes and fionulla flanagan were great as the housekeepers, who manage to make otherwise flat dialogue oddly chilling, the story behind the maid was chilling, even if elaine cassidy wasn't really good as the maid.

finally, the sorry human being who made this, when you can't get kidman to act properly, and your movie rips off shayamalan and a video game, YOU NEED TO REVISE YOUR F**KING MOVIE!!!
  8. Dec 18, 2012
    Not a fan of Nicole Kidman and this didn't really help. A pretty dull and not scary horror picture but it did add something new with a twist that was quite refreshing.
  9. Nov 12, 2012
    The Others is work of genius that scares us half to death while being about as violent as 'A Bug's Life.'
  10. Nov 9, 2012
    At first, it's a drama. That's disappointing because of the way the film was promoted. Whatsoever, the atmosphere was well made and the ending was also impressive. But the actors are not good (I hate Nicole Kidman and I think you won't find any good child actors for this roles) and in the middle of the movie it gets kinda boring. It could've been better, because in this way it's reallyAt first, it's a drama. That's disappointing because of the way the film was promoted. Whatsoever, the atmosphere was well made and the ending was also impressive. But the actors are not good (I hate Nicole Kidman and I think you won't find any good child actors for this roles) and in the middle of the movie it gets kinda boring. It could've been better, because in this way it's really nothing special. Expand
  11. Sep 20, 2012
    Phenomenal performances from Kidman, Flanagan, and Mann, as well as a suitably surreal atmosphere... do not save this film from being suspenseless, i am not entirely sure most of these reviewers even watched the same movie, the 'twist' as you people put it, can be seen from so early into the film that it becomes quite uninteresting, if you are a fan of gothic, creepy, surreal ghostPhenomenal performances from Kidman, Flanagan, and Mann, as well as a suitably surreal atmosphere... do not save this film from being suspenseless, i am not entirely sure most of these reviewers even watched the same movie, the 'twist' as you people put it, can be seen from so early into the film that it becomes quite uninteresting, if you are a fan of gothic, creepy, surreal ghost stories... GO WATCH INSIDIOUS! Expand
  12. May 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i love it ,it's very interesting, one of the best horror movies ever i was dieing from fear my English is bad don't blame me about the grammar ........etc Expand
  13. Dec 20, 2011
    Scary, smart, and with just a simply fantastic performance from Nicole Kidman, The Others is also a lot more scarier due to its twist and low budget. I give this movie 85%.
  14. Nov 21, 2011
    One of the best thriller's I've ever seen. It's also one of the most original movies I've ever seen. Not only does it make your skin crawl, the story is actually very interesting. If the directing and cinematography doesn't impress you, I'm sure Nicole Kidman's bone chilling performance will.
  15. Sep 26, 2011
    Featuring Nicole Kidman as the lead character, THE OTHERS is an eerie, suspenseful, creepy blend of horror and period drama. This isn't a typical "haunted house movie" or "ghost story" either, and there is absolutely nothing corny about it. Kidman, of all cast members, delivers a fantastic performance (as usual). The film tells the haunting tale of a woman who returns to her mansion, afterFeaturing Nicole Kidman as the lead character, THE OTHERS is an eerie, suspenseful, creepy blend of horror and period drama. This isn't a typical "haunted house movie" or "ghost story" either, and there is absolutely nothing corny about it. Kidman, of all cast members, delivers a fantastic performance (as usual). The film tells the haunting tale of a woman who returns to her mansion, after her husband begins to fight in World War II, with her two young children, who are highly sensitive to light stronger than that given off by a candle, and an elderly woman serving as a nanny. The terror begins when her two children begin claiming to see "ghosts", which at first she does not believe, but is eventually forced to, when she sees no coincidence between her children's tellings and the evidence of intruders in the house. If there's one horror movie that should have been won the awards for (at least) Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects, and Best Sound Editing at the Academy Awards, THE OTHERS is that film. It creates enough suspense and terror to keep you on the edge of your seat for the whole, entire feature. It is a definite must-see. Expand
  16. Mar 9, 2011
    "The Others" manages to do what most horror thrillers fail at doing - horrifying you without any gore and violence, but just through the genuine fear of the characters. With an impressively deceptive screenplay, one believes everything that Grace (Nicole Kidman) goes through and believes, but as her perception changes, so does the viewers until one is not quite sure what one ought to"The Others" manages to do what most horror thrillers fail at doing - horrifying you without any gore and violence, but just through the genuine fear of the characters. With an impressively deceptive screenplay, one believes everything that Grace (Nicole Kidman) goes through and believes, but as her perception changes, so does the viewers until one is not quite sure what one ought to believe. Excellently directed by Alejandro Amenabar, who also did the soundtrack and wrote the screenplay, with some amazing cinematography and film editing, "The Others" manages to create such a genuinely spooky mood that one just cannot tear oneself away from watching the film through the end. The cast is impressive, to say the least. Nicole Kidman gives one of her best performances to date, as the grief-stricken, somewhat psychotic mother trying to protect her children at all costs. The children actors are excellent, also, as well as the servants in the film - especially, Fionnula Flanagan, who delivers a chilling performance as Mrs Mills.
    Overall, the film is definitely worth seeing and is one of the scariest and gripping films that will make you wonder about it for days and days...
  17. Dec 14, 2010
    This is the best movie ever. It keeps you on the edge of your seat.
    If you have not seen this u need to!
    this is a scariest move as well
  18. GlenM
    Jun 2, 2009
    I believe this is the scariest move of all time and I have seen The Shining, The Exorcist and Silence of the lambs. It's rare for a horror move in that it has minimal gore but it builds a great tense, spooky atmosphere and really frightens throughout with a twist ending. If you love horror films it's a must see (but don't bother if you think horror movies must be saturated I believe this is the scariest move of all time and I have seen The Shining, The Exorcist and Silence of the lambs. It's rare for a horror move in that it has minimal gore but it builds a great tense, spooky atmosphere and really frightens throughout with a twist ending. If you love horror films it's a must see (but don't bother if you think horror movies must be saturated in gore). Expand
  19. AndrewG.
    Oct 22, 2008
    A supernatural thriller that relies too much on Nicole Kidman, (in for me, her best performance to date), dragging it through an hour and forty minutes.
  20. LiridonH.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Awsome movie!!! Great performance by Nicole Kidman. It scared me a lot. Which scared me weren't ghosts or monsters but the saying that sums up the movie : "sometimes the world of the dead gets mixed up with the world of the living".
  21. Riren
    Mar 4, 2007
    Morose, pretentious and plodding. Pretty much everything in this movie has been done before, though The Others tries to fool you into believing otherwise by speeding up its narrative at the appropriate times and only pretending to explain itself. Just because this takes place during World War 2 instead of the present doesn't mean it's novel. It just gives the characters new Morose, pretentious and plodding. Pretty much everything in this movie has been done before, though The Others tries to fool you into believing otherwise by speeding up its narrative at the appropriate times and only pretending to explain itself. Just because this takes place during World War 2 instead of the present doesn't mean it's novel. It just gives the characters new accents. Really, the whole picture has two settings: quiet, and tense, and this lack of range seriously hurts its ability to earn its tension. Expand
  22. GrahamM.
    Dec 7, 2005
    This is a great ghost movie. The atmosphere is great and the acting is great.
  23. LauraB.
    Jan 22, 2005
    Great Film, It has an amazing twist and its full of action and has been beautifully made to mix genres to produce a wonderful film. Nicole Kidman is a legend!
  24. G.M.D.K
    Dec 3, 2004
    One of the best films of all time!
  25. JeffL
    Oct 27, 2004
    Here is a movie that occupies a much darker territory than the sixth sense -- instead of a good man's transition into the afterworld, we have a woman's deeply troubling refusal to "move on." I often criticize Hollywood movies for presenting dark themes/issues and then attempting to frame those issues within a larger narrative of good/progress. Which is why this movie, to me, is Here is a movie that occupies a much darker territory than the sixth sense -- instead of a good man's transition into the afterworld, we have a woman's deeply troubling refusal to "move on." I often criticize Hollywood movies for presenting dark themes/issues and then attempting to frame those issues within a larger narrative of good/progress. Which is why this movie, to me, is so refreshing: it is, by all intents and purposes, standard Hollywood fair, but it is also uncompromising in its refusal to simplistically resolve its central thematic tension. It's the clever, well-crafted script that really comes through in this movie, and though others have commented that there are no overly scary scenes, it is the lingering sense of the irreconciliable that really gets under the skin. Expand
  26. SaerA.
    May 19, 2004
    I didn't find this movie scary at all. This has got to be one of the worst movies of all times.
  27. AndrewM.
    May 12, 2004
    (7.5) Very impressive "spooker". Superb acting and clever direction take it to a realm higher than might have otherwise been. The suspense is classically developed and well handled throughout, but possibly the viewer is kept there too long... The ending for me was chilling because I certainly didn't see it coming!
  28. YoonC.
    Sep 24, 2003
    A beautifully moody ghost thriller with a wickedly surprise ending. It's nice to be haunted for once by atmosphere and painstakingly well-conceived plot than cheapshot effects. It was released at a time when depressed mothers killing their kids were routinely making the national news and I hope this movie doesn't serve to romanticize such behavior; anyway, the movie is chilling A beautifully moody ghost thriller with a wickedly surprise ending. It's nice to be haunted for once by atmosphere and painstakingly well-conceived plot than cheapshot effects. It was released at a time when depressed mothers killing their kids were routinely making the national news and I hope this movie doesn't serve to romanticize such behavior; anyway, the movie is chilling in its imagining a realm in a state of limbo between life and death and in its depiction of the difficulty of fully accepting either. The movie seems to ask what does one do when the body lives while the soul has died or vice versa? In this regard, perhaps many of our lives could be regarded as ghost stories too. Expand
  29. MikeD.
    Sep 7, 2003
    A great movie, my favorite horror film. This film proves that you dont have to see anything scary to be scared,Its scary because of tha amazing acting by nicole kidman, And those two children are not bad either, I applaud the acting in this movie, You also have to respect the person who wrote this masterpiece. The director was not familiar to me but he sure did a great job on the lighting A great movie, my favorite horror film. This film proves that you dont have to see anything scary to be scared,Its scary because of tha amazing acting by nicole kidman, And those two children are not bad either, I applaud the acting in this movie, You also have to respect the person who wrote this masterpiece. The director was not familiar to me but he sure did a great job on the lighting of the movie. Expand
  30. Layne
    Aug 7, 2003
    The atmosphere and the lingering suspense that is used with the wonderful music and Nicole Kidman's enrapturing and unrivaled performance make this spookfest an all too scary nightmare that has a wonderfuly creepy story. Nicole Kidman's performance is so good, that it is the soul of the movie and a career defining feit. She and the film are truly marvelous together. It takes a The atmosphere and the lingering suspense that is used with the wonderful music and Nicole Kidman's enrapturing and unrivaled performance make this spookfest an all too scary nightmare that has a wonderfuly creepy story. Nicole Kidman's performance is so good, that it is the soul of the movie and a career defining feit. She and the film are truly marvelous together. It takes a truly talented actress to allow us to feel her psychotic and emotional fears, and Kidman allows us to effortlessly. She should do more horror movies, because she could give Jamie Lee Curtis a run for the " Scream Queen" title. Astounding. Expand
  31. raVen
    Jul 20, 2003
    A great movie that trusts you to be scared on your own, without any severe beating over the head with special effects or ripping noises. One heck of an ending, too.
  32. EricS.
    Jan 18, 2003
    The most underrated movie of last year. Ponderous, subtle, elegaic, rich, strong, cinematic, beautifully shot, Hitchcockian, oh I could go on and on about this Best Picture of 2001.
  33. PerM.
    Nov 16, 2002
    The clues are suposed to be obvious. Good horror is about telling what is happening - slowly.
  34. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    The clues to the so-called surprise ending are about as subtle as a shotgun blast. Despite the curious fascination at nature due to the disease of Kidman's children, if you've seen The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, this one's old news. Shyamalan should sue himself for plagiarism.
  35. MitchH.
    Aug 26, 2002
    I don't normally like scary movies, but I went and saw this one and it scraed me a lot. I thought Nicole kidman was great in this movie and this movie is spooky and keeps you at the edge of your seat the wole time. And the ending, what a doozy.
  36. LatassiaK.
    Aug 20, 2002
    Nicole kidman never fails to impress me.
  37. IsabelC.
    Jul 16, 2002
    Spooooky! An unexpected gem.
  38. Jackie
    Jul 12, 2002
    Really good, pretty scary and I love the twist at the end.
  39. TrixieJ.
    Jul 4, 2002
    Creepy, scary. Nicole Kidman is pitch-perfect in The Others.
  40. BrianK.
    Jun 19, 2002
    Very well done, nice dark theamatic tones and themes througout I enjoyed Kidman's performance so much so, that I believe she should have been nominated for this film rather than Moulin Rouge (which was garbage) The ending did not surprise me much, I saw it coming but the final scene left me spellbound and I felt my heart beating because it came so shockingly. Very creepy at times Very well done, nice dark theamatic tones and themes througout I enjoyed Kidman's performance so much so, that I believe she should have been nominated for this film rather than Moulin Rouge (which was garbage) The ending did not surprise me much, I saw it coming but the final scene left me spellbound and I felt my heart beating because it came so shockingly. Very creepy at times with a knock out finish! Good movie. Expand
  41. SethB.
    Jun 9, 2002
    "Wicked curve of an ending" is right!!! It's like a perfectly pitched curve ball, you know it's coming, you see it, but it still gets you!
  42. OliverW.
    Jun 6, 2002
    Very scary ghost flick. Not a hint of CGI anywhere which makes it even better.
  43. DustyF.
    Mar 17, 2002
    The best movie ever. It keeps you on the edge of your seat. Nicole Kidman did an awesome job in this movie!
  44. AndrewC.
    Feb 4, 2002
    Very original.
  45. CarlesC.
    Nov 27, 2001
    America can't vote this film because it has an evident European style.
  46. PaulaW.
    Nov 12, 2001
    This classy horror film, set in a fog-bound manor house on one of the Channel Islands in the aftermath of World War II, combines sleek visuals with fine acting and plenty of suspense. The stately pace allows the director to establish tension the old-fashioned way, bypassing the usual jumpy editing or eye-popping gore in favor of old-school techniques like the classic dissonant violin This classy horror film, set in a fog-bound manor house on one of the Channel Islands in the aftermath of World War II, combines sleek visuals with fine acting and plenty of suspense. The stately pace allows the director to establish tension the old-fashioned way, bypassing the usual jumpy editing or eye-popping gore in favor of old-school techniques like the classic dissonant violin crescendo or slow pans that reveal the horror in ordinary objects. The camera may linger on the back of a character's neck or hesitate briefly before focusing on two children who are very pale indeed. Digital effects are kept to a minimum. Nicole Kidman, for once, doesn't embarrass herself trying to act like some kind of cross between an ice queen and a sex kitten. She does fine in this role as a prim, high-strung young mother trying to keep household order in the face of very strange events. Even if your detective skills help you ferret out the twist in the plot, you can still enjoy the spine-tingling way in which it is executed. Worth seeing. Expand
  47. JasonL.
    Nov 8, 2001
    It's one of the best movies in 2001.
  48. JoshB.
    Sep 24, 2001
    Simply amazing! Scary, with a huge surprise of an ending!
  49. NedD.
    Sep 14, 2001
    Very effective and moody ghost story. Quietly intense with a fantastic performance from Nicole Kidman. A refreshing change from the usual special-effects heavy summer fare.
  50. TedA.
    Aug 28, 2001
    Although I guessed part of the ending, I still enjoyed this gem of a movie which for once in recent Hollywood memory did not rely on gore to scare people. Kidman was wonderful.
  51. MiaM.
    Aug 26, 2001
    Very Good thriller with a great plot - we did not expect the climax of the film.
  52. LeartS.
    Aug 22, 2001
    Great performance by Nicole kidman, amazing unexpected twists that culminate with a shocking ending. You'll never guess what is going to happen, and never has a door slaming on someones face scared you so much in your whole life, take my word for it.
  53. Evan
    Aug 22, 2001
    Ok, the only bad thing about this movie is that I can't watch it for the 1st time again. I loved this film. So etherial and spooky, leaving so much to the imagination, so true to the genre of classic horror and theater. Editing could have gone a little smoother, but was still a great 2 hrs. One of my favorite films this year.
  54. Efia
    Aug 20, 2001
    Yes, The Others is slightly reminiscent of a recent film, but expecting to see a completely original thought every time a movie opens is asking a little too much of this mass industry. It tortures the impatient, but finishes beautifully.
  55. MaryS.
    Aug 20, 2001
    Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Unexpected ending.
  56. FaithH.
    Aug 20, 2001
    Much more scary in a psychological way than most ghost stories. It kept me on edge from beginning to end.
  57. BenW.
    Aug 20, 2001
    An outstanding creepy movie that sort of takes you back to some of Hitchcock's classics. Kidman is superb. She's coming in to her own as a terrific actress.
  58. JoeE.
    Aug 15, 2001
    Best movie we've seen in the past two years. Suspenseful, unpredictable, edge of your seat thriller. We've never been given chills and goose-bumps by any on-screen, television or stage production, as this one has. A Must-See !! The entire cast was the perfect choice for this movie.
  59. AndyS.
    Aug 12, 2001
    Excellent psychodrama with impressive star turn by Kidman, marred by weak ending. Even if you don't see it coming (unlikely for the fully sentient), the finale and the plot elements leading up to it are much cruder than the rest of the otherwise well conceived and executed story. All in all, a near miss, but well worth seeing.
  60. MaximusP.
    Aug 12, 2001
    One of the best films Kidman has done. Her performance is first rate. She will do fine without Tom Cruise.
  61. MaximusP.
  62. RobertZ.
    Aug 11, 2001
    Predictable and just plain dull.
  63. MichaelF.
    Aug 11, 2001
    This is a really fun thriller. Packed with thrills, chills and excitment! Never boring but not too much happens but still, its never boring. Worth a look. A great ending.

In drawing out his effects, Amenabar is a little too confident that style can substitute for substance. As our suspense was supposed to be building, our impatience was outstripping it.
    Only some bumpy, arid passages in the script keep The Others out of the master class occupied by the likes of "The Sixth Sense" and, my favorite, 1961's "The Innocents."
    A spare, discomfiting score and uniformly excellent performances, and you have a quiet little masterpiece of dark and chilling beauty.