8.5

1. ViggoS.
    Jun 7, 2009
    I always thought that Gerard Butler was straight, but i don't anymore. this movie is so boring, that it would kill a hamster. (In lovely memory of my hamster) the hold story doesn't make any sense.
  2. Guido
    Apr 4, 2008
    This is one of the worst, if not the worst flm I have ever seen. I can only ascribe the myriad of 10 ratings that this film has recieved to the brain damage of teh respective reviewers, or perhaps they were so abused as children that thye no longer can tell good from bad. This movie is criminally bad, a constipated, bombastic, kitsch, heinous, trainwreck of a film that is an embarrassment This is one of the worst, if not the worst flm I have ever seen. I can only ascribe the myriad of 10 ratings that this film has recieved to the brain damage of teh respective reviewers, or perhaps they were so abused as children that thye no longer can tell good from bad. This movie is criminally bad, a constipated, bombastic, kitsch, heinous, trainwreck of a film that is an embarrassment to articulate human beings. I gave it a 1 because I can imagine less pleasant experiences such as having boiling acid injected directly into my eyes whilst. I don't think my ears will ever recover. Expand
  3. Bruno
    Jan 15, 2005
    I cannot believe what I am reading. Anyone who saw the Broadway production and rates this a perfect 10 needs some psychiatric help. The actors were horrible and lipsynched their way badly through this terrible movie. I would agree that the music is wonderful but as a movie? I think not. There was no acting at all. Butler as the Phantom isn't even on key. What are you all thinking? Go I cannot believe what I am reading. Anyone who saw the Broadway production and rates this a perfect 10 needs some psychiatric help. The actors were horrible and lipsynched their way badly through this terrible movie. I would agree that the music is wonderful but as a movie? I think not. There was no acting at all. Butler as the Phantom isn't even on key. What are you all thinking? Go see it on Broadway and then you will understand. Expand
  4. Katherine
    Jul 28, 2006
    Why did they make this? I mean the fun of watching the first one is becuase it's in black and white and it's silent. I think thats the fun. But this is in color and in sound. Just like most of the other re-makes.
  5. Oct 14, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i didn't pay a cent for watching this movie, thanks heaven... for those who said "oh, i luv the phantom, oh i luv the costumes blah blah blah..." let me tell you, this movie sucks in a very very disgusting way... the plot is full of holes... they totally changed it from the original story! there is no sense of consistency between scenes! the actors, oh my **** god, they suck!! i mean, epic suck.
    someone said "Wow!The Movie was great. I love the Phantom. I dont like Raoul.Christine & Phantom 4ever! " ... well, that kind of thought means you are a complete brainless idiot... avoid making a fool out of yourselves with that kind of comments. sayonara.
  6. Jun 26, 2011
    I wanted to just describe this movie in one word (terrible) but unfortunately I have to use 150 characters. Gerard Butler was terrible, the all acting was terrible, the story was terrible, everything was terrible, there was not a single good thing in this movie.
  7. Zal
    Jan 11, 2012
    It's certainly an improvement for Joel Schumacher since Batman and Robin, but I still did not enjoy this film.
    With the exception of Erik, all of these characters are completely bland. This is not the fault of Schumacher or any of the actors. None of these characters, especially Raoul and Christine, were very interesting to begin with. And even Erik in this film isn't that deep, especially when you see that his "deformity" is really just a big rash. It doesn't look that bad and it makes his song about his face seem, well, somewhat pretentious, which is a word that I feel sad using to describe one of my favorite literary anti-heroes.
    The acting isn't that great either. The only one who I thought did a decent job was Patrick Wilson as Raoul. Then there is poor Miranda Richardson doing an incredibly over the top French accent that was hard not to laugh at. This is sad because I genuinly love Miranda Richardson and think she is a fantastic actress, but her acting in this movie was terrible. I don't even understand why she has that accent since everyone else is phoning it in and just doing a British accent, with the exception of Carlotta (since she is Italian) and Raoul and Christine, who for some reason speak with American accents.
    The costumes and sets are creative and well made and some of the singing isn't bad, but it just wasn't a pleasant experience for me.
  8. DonaldI.
    May 20, 2005
    Well, on the plus side, it is lavishly shot, the costumes are exquisite, and the set decoration is sublime. However, it is woefully miscast, particularly in the lead role. Moreover, it is a shame that the lyrics by Andrew Lloyd Webber go from being merely average at best in one moment, to being utterly insipid the next. Being a musical (?!) as this is, that does not bode well for the Well, on the plus side, it is lavishly shot, the costumes are exquisite, and the set decoration is sublime. However, it is woefully miscast, particularly in the lead role. Moreover, it is a shame that the lyrics by Andrew Lloyd Webber go from being merely average at best in one moment, to being utterly insipid the next. Being a musical (?!) as this is, that does not bode well for the viewer. If bombastic, pretentious crap is your cup of tea, check it out. Most of the rest of us will be looking for the exits in short order. Save yourself. Expand
  9. dn
    May 1, 2005
    If you've seen an actual stage production or are familiar with the music you'll be very disappointed. The voices of the actors are nowhere near on par to what you're used to. What a waste of beautiful music.
  10. BillH.
    Dec 23, 2004
    Boring. Stage show was much better. Butler is THE worst phantom I have ever seen. I wanted my money back
  11. GingerT.
    Dec 24, 2004
    This could not even make it as music video it is that bad. Young teenage girls might find this romantic because of the love triangle. But as a movie it falls flat on its face. No comparison to the tremendous Broadway hit. There is no acting to even comment upon. Hated it.
  12. NathanielT.
    Dec 28, 2004
    Not worth it at all. A bombastic show meets a bombastic director, and the resulting product is almost unbearably "epic". Truthfully, the visuals are adequate at best (too much sound stage work eventually begins to look tacky) and the music is still as awful as ever. Does not help that Gerard Butler's voice is all wrong for the Phantom.
  13. Johnston
    Jan 16, 2005
    This was worse that the American Idol tryouts. William Hung is better than Butler as the Phantom. Neither can hit a note but at least Hung has humanity about him? This was a busy mess with all of the acting lipsynching. And even that did not match up to what was coming out of their mouth. Didn't any of you notice? This was worse than the old Ted Mack amateur hour. Just awful!
  14. Dublin
    Feb 10, 2005
    Where was Milli Vanillii? The lypsynching was simply awful as it did not even match what was coming out of their mouths. As for Butler as the Phantom, now if could even hold a note. Awful.
  15. Fantasy
    Dec 25, 2004
    There are no words to describe how brutal a movie this is. Quite frankly it is an embarassment. The acting is nonexistant. It is just a musical video with nothing more than two dimensional drones going through their paces. The music is first rate but you can listen to a CD. The Phantom was horrible and Christine the less said the better. A disaster beyond your wildest imagination. And by There are no words to describe how brutal a movie this is. Quite frankly it is an embarassment. The acting is nonexistant. It is just a musical video with nothing more than two dimensional drones going through their paces. The music is first rate but you can listen to a CD. The Phantom was horrible and Christine the less said the better. A disaster beyond your wildest imagination. And by the way I loved the Broadway show. Expand
  16. JeromeH.
    Dec 27, 2004
    What were you people watching? There is no acting and THE PHANTOM couldn't sing. Christine was at best adequate, nothing more. This wasn't even a movie as they rushed busily from one song to the next. Simply attrocious.
  17. DavidC.
    Dec 27, 2004
    Yuk! I left the theater wanting to put a paper bag over my head. No one could sing and the lip synching was driving me nuts. As for the acting, the less said the better.
  18. Sqaull
    Dec 28, 2004
    NO acting and poor uncoordinated lip synching. How can anyone call this a MOVIE? Butler as the PHANTOM is terrible as he can't even sing. The music is great, but we already knew that. This is one mess as a MOVIE that proves a total embarassment.
  19. AndrewJ.
    Jan 22, 2005
    This was worse than listening to Vogon poetry before being thrown into outer space... Don't read the book before seeing the film and remember to take ear-plugs and thick dark glasses - that way you can relax for the two hours of torture. See it if you must, but don't blame me!
  20. Robere
    Jan 28, 2005
    Awful! The lip synching drove me bananas. The acting was non existant. And Butler as the Phantom can't even carry a note. He was better looking as the Phantom than the leading man. Totally miscast. A disaster beyond your wildest imagination.
  21. JonC.
    Feb 1, 2005
    Gerard Butler is hot. Emmy Rossum is sexy. Patrick Wilson plays a hunk with a geeky hairdo. And Minnie driver makes a funny caricature. Together, they make an appealing sandwich, but I doubt all the meat in the world could make this Goulash palatable, not to mention digestible. The movie is BOOOOOOORRRRRRINNNNNNNNG! My ears may never recover. May Andrew Lloyd Webber and Joel Schumacher Gerard Butler is hot. Emmy Rossum is sexy. Patrick Wilson plays a hunk with a geeky hairdo. And Minnie driver makes a funny caricature. Together, they make an appealing sandwich, but I doubt all the meat in the world could make this Goulash palatable, not to mention digestible. The movie is BOOOOOOORRRRRRINNNNNNNNG! My ears may never recover. May Andrew Lloyd Webber and Joel Schumacher Rot in Hell!!! I'm going to have to see M$B a few more times to get over this horrible experience. Expand
  22. DaveF.
    Feb 10, 2005
    A waste of talent (theirs), time and money(mine).
  23. Cathy
    Apr 6, 2005
    Horrible. Emmy Rossum is supposed to be an up coming opera star and sounded nothing like the magnificent singer that kicks Carlotta out of the lime light. Her voice cracks during "Think of Me" and she does way too much scooping when she sings. Acting was awful. Emmy looked like a deer in head lights. Gerard, don't get me started on him. Been a Phan since I was four and I was disgusted.
  24. AlexaR.
    Dec 20, 2004
    The girl's voice was terrible, it sounded like a cat dying! how she got nominated for a golden globe award I'll never know!
  25. jasoni.
    Dec 24, 2004
    This is the kind of movie that makes you want to put a paper bag on your head and crawl out of the theatre in hopes that NO ONE SPOTS YOU exiting the auditorium that is blasting this Excruciating, Painful, and Embarressing adaption of the stage hit. This was trying so hard to be chicago, moulin rouge but it ends up being worst then XANADU! Hell I would rather sit thru repeat viewings of This is the kind of movie that makes you want to put a paper bag on your head and crawl out of the theatre in hopes that NO ONE SPOTS YOU exiting the auditorium that is blasting this Excruciating, Painful, and Embarressing adaption of the stage hit. This was trying so hard to be chicago, moulin rouge but it ends up being worst then XANADU! Hell I would rather sit thru repeat viewings of Grease 2 then this anyday. The Phantom was so horrible, the entire audience I saw it with busted out laughing when he would sing, his facial expressions made him look like he was about to take a big phantom dump! Expand
  26. CarolAnnC.
    Dec 24, 2004
    I loved Phantom on Broadway and have seen it several times. Having said that I was eagerly looking forward to The Movie. What I saw last night was a tedious methodical slow boring video sans any emotion. Actors hurried about the stage and appeared to lyp sync their words. Unfortunately, despite ample opportunity to develop the characters on the silver screen it just never happens. They I loved Phantom on Broadway and have seen it several times. Having said that I was eagerly looking forward to The Movie. What I saw last night was a tedious methodical slow boring video sans any emotion. Actors hurried about the stage and appeared to lyp sync their words. Unfortunately, despite ample opportunity to develop the characters on the silver screen it just never happens. They just run around busily and jump from one song to the next. As a result, the movie is highly disappointing. Of course, for those that have never seen it on Broadway you'll love Andrew Lloyd Webber's music. But as a movie, it's just plain flat like soda pop that has lost its fizz. For those expecting to see another Chicago or Moulon Rouge be ready for a great let down. Only in the final act do the actors show some real emotion. Very disappointing compared to what might have been? Expand
  27. RobertH.
    Dec 24, 2004
    I've seen Phantom Of The Opera six times on Broadway and absolutely love the music of the night. When I heard it was becoming a movie I couldn't wait to see it. Well, last night I wish I could have hung myself (no pun intended) as I was so horrified at what I was watching. This is a tasteless flat video in which the characters never come to life. There is no character I've seen Phantom Of The Opera six times on Broadway and absolutely love the music of the night. When I heard it was becoming a movie I couldn't wait to see it. Well, last night I wish I could have hung myself (no pun intended) as I was so horrified at what I was watching. This is a tasteless flat video in which the characters never come to life. There is no character development, the actors rarely speak (perhaps they can't), and just rush from one song and dance to the next. It's all very busy but not three dimensional in any sense of the word. In a nutshell, it's just awful. If you want to listen to the music please do so; but remember to close your eyes. Warning: Watching this drek could prove detrimental to your viewing pleasure. Avoid. Expand
  28. Dudley
    Dec 29, 2004
    Yuk! What a mess? Where did they find Butler? He can't sing at all.
  29. John---
    Oct 29, 2005
    Ponderous and pompous; detracts from the original play with ridiculous additons (sword fight, death trap, interminable journeys, and motion-sickness-inducing camera swoops).
  30. PepeLePeu
    Feb 21, 2005
    Puke for the senses, is what best describes this relentlessly bombastic mediocrity. Someone duped enough people to nominate the end credits song for a best song Oscar. Well, poo-poo, as I can think of at last five better songs used more effectively and prominently in films this year, not to mention that they were better songs altogether. It is a shame that another perfectly fine stage Puke for the senses, is what best describes this relentlessly bombastic mediocrity. Someone duped enough people to nominate the end credits song for a best song Oscar. Well, poo-poo, as I can think of at last five better songs used more effectively and prominently in films this year, not to mention that they were better songs altogether. It is a shame that another perfectly fine stage musical gets so thoroughly wasted on its cinematic treatment. Expand
  31. Simon
    Dec 7, 2006
    Come on, don't think we can't spot that the User Ratings for this film have been seriously rigged...you could at least have made it a bit more subtle by giving the odd 8 or 9...strings of 10's are just too blatant. It's a so-bad-it's-rather-funny film, and I wouldn't put anybody who wanted a giggle off watching it on that basis.
  32. JoshL
    Apr 12, 2009
    Ugh. The music isn't what bugs me. Its the fact that this attempts to be a musical drama that holds no dramatic interest. Schumacher is so interested in making his first good film that he focuses on everything asthetic and nothing human. I felt nothing thru the entire movie. There's no suspense at all. I had never read the original book or seen the play and I still managed to Ugh. The music isn't what bugs me. Its the fact that this attempts to be a musical drama that holds no dramatic interest. Schumacher is so interested in making his first good film that he focuses on everything asthetic and nothing human. I felt nothing thru the entire movie. There's no suspense at all. I had never read the original book or seen the play and I still managed to predict what happened next. Maybe if it attempted to be edgy instead of pretending while still remainng pretty harmless. Every man in this film is a little girl and the women just don't THINK! There is a talented cast that gets squandered by an overly sappy ending filled with pointless reprises (seriously? the Phantoms dramatic contemplative moment is to Masqurade? I laughed out loud) and anti-climactic confrontations. This gets a 3 simply because of the very talented Emmy Rossum who does all she can to save the movie and is also super hot. I see why the phantom is nuts for her. Expand
  33. Mickeray
    Dec 25, 2004
    Phantom is an absolutely fantastic show on Broadway that should not be missed. As for THIS movie it an amateur production without any acting whatsoever. Just awful.
  34. ZuleronZ.
    Dec 25, 2004
    The Phantom was a huge dissapointment. The music is still potent but The Phantom was totally miscast. Gerard Butler cannot sing!! And no amount of sound layering can hide his utter lack of vocal talent. The man hardly sang a note. Rather he talked and shouted (the high notes) his way through the movie. And he was flat! He was AWFUL! Christine and Raoul were vocally adequte, even excellent The Phantom was a huge dissapointment. The music is still potent but The Phantom was totally miscast. Gerard Butler cannot sing!! And no amount of sound layering can hide his utter lack of vocal talent. The man hardly sang a note. Rather he talked and shouted (the high notes) his way through the movie. And he was flat! He was AWFUL! Christine and Raoul were vocally adequte, even excellent in parts. BUT this show is about the Phantom and because Mr. Butler's Phantom was so feeble and uninspiring, the movie was practically unwatchable. A HUGE dissapointment. They should have dubbed a real singer's voice over Mr. Butler's. Again, He was AWFUL! Expand
  35. HarrietJ.
    Dec 26, 2004
    After reading the mostly favorable reviews by the public I can understand why the Broadway show continues its long run on the Great White Way. However, this film has no acting and is nothing more that a video of this most wonderful show. No mistaking that I can listen to the score over and over but still as a movie it falls flat on its face. If you have the chance go to Broadway. Then and After reading the mostly favorable reviews by the public I can understand why the Broadway show continues its long run on the Great White Way. However, this film has no acting and is nothing more that a video of this most wonderful show. No mistaking that I can listen to the score over and over but still as a movie it falls flat on its face. If you have the chance go to Broadway. Then and only then will you understand what you're missing. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Jo Berry
    The end result, although entertaining and well-crafted, certainly isn't on the same breathtaking scale of, say, Alan Parker's epic "Evita."
  2. What the film most damagingly lacks though is a sense of mystery and danger.
    Watching the passionless Phantom, with its geriatric story-framing device, gooey dimestore romanticism and tawdry pop ballads about unrequited yearning, feels akin to dying and waking up in your parents’ easy-listening-radio hell.