8.6

1. Aug 27, 2014
    An entirely new perspective on the dark times of the Holocaust, The Pianist is a poignant masterpiece. Adrien Brody's portrayal of Szpilman is staggering and awe-inspiring. Roman Polanski has had many greats during his career, but this just may be his finest work.
  2. Aug 23, 2014
    This Palme D'or winner movie is one of the best movies i have ever seen. It connects emotionally with the audience, the music by Frederic Chopin is beautiful and the performances are very good. This movie is the reason why musicians struggle to live just to do what they love, art!
  3. Jul 26, 2014
    A sensational film. Roman Polanski and his amazing vision bring us one of his moving masterpieces. the film tells the amazing life story of acclaimed Polish pianist Wladyslaw Szpilman, focusing on his touching story of survival during World War II. With a beautiful cast, The Pianist is a great biographical drama i've seen in years. Loyal, genuine and above all a moving portrait of theA sensational film. Roman Polanski and his amazing vision bring us one of his moving masterpieces. the film tells the amazing life story of acclaimed Polish pianist Wladyslaw Szpilman, focusing on his touching story of survival during World War II. With a beautiful cast, The Pianist is a great biographical drama i've seen in years. Loyal, genuine and above all a moving portrait of the Second World War and its worldwide impact. Expand
  4. May 11, 2014
    This is arguably Roman Polanski's most powerful and breathtaking film. It's shot beautifully and written beautifully. Adrian Brody gives a brilliant lead performance. This is undoubtedly one of the best Holocaust films ever made.
  5. May 10, 2014
    An extremely humane tale of pure survival, The Pianist is undoubtedly one of Polanski's finest works - realistic, unflinching and never resorting to even the slightest melodrama.
  6. Apr 3, 2014
    The Pianist is a breathtaking and outstanding film by Polanski. The acting is great, and the cinematography is gritty yet beautiful. But what makes The Pianist stand out from other films of this genre is how it portrays the Germans so antagonistic and ruthless, more than almost any other film I've seen, except for maybe "Schindler's List".
  7. Nov 22, 2013
    Beautiful, engrossing, and tragic, this film is all of those and more. Beautifully directed by Roman Polanski and Adrien Brody excells in the lead role. Absolutely brilliant film.
  8. Jan 20, 2013
    This movie tells a story that we cannot forget , it is very shocking how the human being tries to live also known as survival escaping from the nazis. Everyone should se this movie because it has a great and amazing story to tell.
  9. Nov 28, 2012
    Roman Polanski's monumental, shocking, and - most of all - uplifting biopic not only features Adrien Brody's greatest acting turn, but some truly unshakable imagery.
  10. Oct 5, 2012
    When this movie came out ten years ago, it received much critical acclaim. Somehow, I never got around to watching it. The other night I noticed it was available on Netflix streaming, so I decided to watch.

This was an amazing movie. To me, it was more moving than Schindler's List. Adrien Brody's acting was top notch and the direction was great.
  11. Aug 2, 2011
    I especially appreciate this movie for portraying people as real as it gets. There are no only good or bad sides here. It shows us that the war never really changed poeple to mindless warmongering zombies. There were bad and good people everywhere. The story of a young Jewish radio pianist is interesting as the perspective is shown from his secret flat provided by the Polish. Everything heI especially appreciate this movie for portraying people as real as it gets. There are no only good or bad sides here. It shows us that the war never really changed poeple to mindless warmongering zombies. There were bad and good people everywhere. The story of a young Jewish radio pianist is interesting as the perspective is shown from his secret flat provided by the Polish. Everything he experienced most of the time was viewing from his apartment`s window. The apocalyptic reality of ghettos also have some time in this movie so we can see how he Germans treated their slaves. The character played by Adrien Brody is likeable and interesting to the point we want to stick with the story. And in this movie we see another page of history which is Germans destroying Warsaw. In the end I felt sorry for Wilm Hosenfeld and I reflected upon how unjust and random war is. Expand
  12. Mar 21, 2011
    The Pianist is a poignant and amazing adaptation of a man's spell-bounding survival in Warsaw during the Holocaust! Roman Polanski brings forth fantastic directing that moves a movie viewer to his deepest heart! Additionally, Adrien Brody captivates all with his well deserved Oscar winning perfomance treating us all with a performance of a lifetime!
  13. Feb 8, 2011
    Sorry, machine translation. Thanks. Untermensch - Lower The music helps us to live, indeed to survive. One survivor, if still of sound mind, can not have memory. And the memory "music" of a pianist, is very long term. The music also helps to seek, to find and hope for our hero, to forgive. So I understand. But who is our hero? His name is Wladyslaw Szpilman Adrien Brody / is the famousSorry, machine translation. Thanks. Untermensch - Lower The music helps us to live, indeed to survive. One survivor, if still of sound mind, can not have memory. And the memory "music" of a pianist, is very long term. The music also helps to seek, to find and hope for our hero, to forgive. So I understand. But who is our hero? His name is Wladyslaw Szpilman Adrien Brody / is the famous pianist of the "Warsaw Ghetto", his talent has crossed the Polish borders. Szpilman familiar chromatic scales, those that give color; insignificant harmonica in his hands takes vivacity. Among other things, the implementation of the Study op. 10 No. 2 by Frederic Chopin, which requires a special technique of execution, not for nothing is unprepared. Moreover, our Wladyslaw, Chopin knows everything, really everything. The story goes that when Chopin composed the op. 10 No. 2, was inspired by a mouse, quickly seen running to his room. Szpilman has seen much else in his Warsaw Germans, many, "armed in the soul" with the most powerful poisons, HATRED. Ready for anything, to destroy everything, to "destroy inside." It all began in September 1939. The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact of August 23, 1939 is a done deal. Consequence of this is the invasion and division of Polish territory by the Russians and Germans. I am the latter, the co-stars in the film directed by Roman Polanski. I said, the German planes begin bombing Warsaw at the same time, the camera captures our pianist, impassive, calm, almost disinterested in studies of Warsaw radio, while continuing to play the C # 20 Nocturno, Op posth- F. Chopin. It is 'forced' to vanish quickly when another explosion shatters all the glass panes of the studio and beyond. E ', this, the last sonata "live". E '1945, the "reborn" Polish studies, incorporate the same hands to put pressure on blacks and white keys of a piano. The piece by Chopin "violently interrupted" resumes its "path". The mind and hands of the "survivor" are stylistically synchronous. Chopeniani enthusiasts who have had the good fortune to listen to before the events and now are not slow to realize that the anxiety and pessimism gives way to a romance aimed at all "to escape" the thought and memory, while not forgetting. But what has happened in all these years to the Szpilman family, our composer, to the thousands of Polish Jews? What imparts the "INFINITE" circular Nazi? What are Judenräte? What role occupies the Wehrmacht officer, Captain Wilm Hosenfeld? Thomas Kretschmann / seen by our "the only human being wearing the German uniform I have ever known." Polanski, finally finds the strength to tell and tell. In fact, the story told is an excerpt from the memoirs of Polish pianist Wladyslaw Szpilman, written after the war. The director, at the time a child is imprisoned in the Krakow ghetto. The facts narrated are not at all "handled". What happens in the ghetto is told without rhetoric. "Beyond the wall," Jews are accomplices Jews who have grown rich on the backs of other Jews, there is a whole underwater life. But not intentionally. I think. Choosing is not easy when you find yourself alone in front of the "certainty of death." He who saves a soul is as if he saved the entire universe is written in the Talmud. Wilm Hosenfeld will ever have a tree dedicated in the Garden of the Righteous in Jerusalem? And today? The Second World War is over? My answer is no. A long appendix of global tragedies following the tragic events. The man still does not learn from his mistakes. And Italy? Italy is a country at war. But who knows? And the cinema? The cinema has a duty to tell / inform, if you like. The viewer has the duty to investigate / guard, if you like. It is of free thought. And this I do not give up. "The Pianist" won: Two 2002 Oscar - Best Director Roman Polanski s best actor Adrien Brody /; Cannes Film Festival 2002 - Palme d'Or for Best Film with Roman Polanski; David di Donatello 2003 - Best foreign film with Roman Polanski. Expand
  14. Aug 31, 2010
    The Pianist brights a completely new perception to the "war" genre; instead of depicting the protagonist as heroic, noble, or courageous, he is simply portrayed as the man caught in the midst of it. This provides the film with a sobering sense of realism, and will emotionally devastate, and aesthetically astound viewers, not the mention the superlative performance from Adrien Brody.The Pianist brights a completely new perception to the "war" genre; instead of depicting the protagonist as heroic, noble, or courageous, he is simply portrayed as the man caught in the midst of it. This provides the film with a sobering sense of realism, and will emotionally devastate, and aesthetically astound viewers, not the mention the superlative performance from Adrien Brody. Improves on each viewing. Expand

1. The result is a movie, and Cannes Palme d'Or winner, of riveting power and sadness, a great match of film and filmmaker -- and star, too.
    Polanski, himself a survivor of Nazi-occupied Poland, has created a near-masterpiece.
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    There are three Poles in The Pianist -- Szpilman, Polanski, and Frederic Chopin. Of the three, fittingly, Chopin speaks the loudest.