Focus Features | Release Date: March 29, 2013
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 521 Ratings
WATCH NOW
CameraBounceGodFeb 22, 2015
Excellent beginning...i still haven't finished this though because when I tried to it seemed like a completely different movie......I feel that this review is probably the funniest iv'e ever been..and i'm not even joking ..
maybe i will
maybe i will return one day when i've truly seen past the first couple robberies...which I found to be pretty awesome.
clayscottbrownJul 21, 2014
Sprawling is a good word for The Place Beyond The Pines, and don't forget that I just saw this and it was released in 2012. That does matter as tastes change very quickly in 'Movie Time'.

The story is a sort of Bad Luck one with the main

The story is a sort of Bad Luck one with the main character not lasting throughout the film... I was surprised that the movie kept on changing as the focus completely changed about 1/3 way through the film...

Some very good actors in here Ray Liotta, but in the end all the pieces here didn't seem to come completely together... too many irons in the fire.

VERDICT: FAIR BUT NO CASINO/52 OF 100
TokyochuchuMar 9, 2014
A Place Beyond the Pines is nothing if not interesting, with it's three-act protagonist switching structure and time spanning plot. That said, none of the acts really attain much depth and certain aspects (such as Ray Liota) are not given theA Place Beyond the Pines is nothing if not interesting, with it's three-act protagonist switching structure and time spanning plot. That said, none of the acts really attain much depth and certain aspects (such as Ray Liota) are not given the time they deserve. As a result A Place Beyond the Pines often feels shallow where it should have depth. Expand
CanemMar 3, 2014
A bit like 'Drive'. Slow paced and very drawn out. Bradley Cooper's acting is as good as ever and his character is probably the only reason many, like myself, watched until the very end. Could've been a lot better if it hadn't tried to forceA bit like 'Drive'. Slow paced and very drawn out. Bradley Cooper's acting is as good as ever and his character is probably the only reason many, like myself, watched until the very end. Could've been a lot better if it hadn't tried to force itself into being an 'artistic' film. Expand
FirebalaSep 1, 2013
I'm glad you took the time.
I did not know what to expect when I started, but it was worth it.
Was atmosphere, the history and the problems raised by the people could think.
ValidActionJul 21, 2013
I went to see this movie 'blind' not even knowing it would be split into 3 stories. Guess I was a bit disillusioned when the 1st story ended apruptly when it was most exciting. Of course the stories are tied together... but the overall toneI went to see this movie 'blind' not even knowing it would be split into 3 stories. Guess I was a bit disillusioned when the 1st story ended apruptly when it was most exciting. Of course the stories are tied together... but the overall tone of what lay ahead of me in the 2nd story can only be described as depressing. The middle part is about guilt and all but it wasn't handled well. The 3rd part was more interesting again and even gave the viewer some hope that things could be kinda sorted out in the end.

In my humble opinion they should've continued the first story and work with that. I'd have liked to see some more action/tension from that point forward but sadly things went wrong very soon...
SmeeJun 15, 2013
Ryan gosling part is great and in first hour movie flow's nicely.But in the kids scene movie start to suck.Seems like 3 different parts are merged and it won't fit in and damaging the flow. overall acting is near perfection.
csw12May 20, 2013
The Place Beyond the Pines rushes out to a fast beginning giving the audience so much but by half way through, becomes a slow and drawn out film that loses its intensity it once had.
VenusianMay 5, 2013
Disappointed with the disjointed nature of the movie at times. I was wishing for it to just get to the point of its obvious need to connect some important message between the death of the father, his murderer and the evolution of the orphanedDisappointed with the disjointed nature of the movie at times. I was wishing for it to just get to the point of its obvious need to connect some important message between the death of the father, his murderer and the evolution of the orphaned son. I love Gosling in general but I was to eager for the movie to end---anywhere! Expand
NicDashMay 1, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ryan Gosling embodies Luke Glanton, the relentless force of nature rousing The Place beyond The Pines. An engrossing one-shot opening sequence tracks Glanton’s movements through to the stunt bike rider’s death-defying performance within a caged orb. He sustains his velocity upon his release as he pursues leading-lady Eva Mendes and this hurtling through life intensifies under emotional charge, inevitably (in hindsight) resulting in his rapid exit. What follows is effectively an ode to the magnetism and impact of the character, whose absence is as prominent as his presence was striking. His momentum is shown to continue through a vague spiritual connection to Bradley Cooper’s generally prosaic character. Later, the on-going shockwaves of Glanton’s life impact upon others and his legend haunts in a manner reminiscent of the distant piano keys in the theme song, filtering through to his troubled and introspectively immersed son’s late incarnation as the doomed rider. Yet, despite the best efforts to appease, his on-screen aura is long lost.

The oblique introduction of Cooper as Avery Cross, a central figure, is a directorial masterstroke and emphasizes the arbitrary nature of the new lead character becoming embroiled in to chaos. Just as at the start of the film, the heights of the professional exploits of a lead character are the source of information we observe, before the camera pans out to reveal more about the subject’s personality. This is mirrored by the initial delay in the revealing of the character’s face, demanding the need to look further in the pursuit of identity. It occurs during a phenomenal chase scene, where palpable realism causes the viewer to disengage from the suspension of disbelief and marvel at the escape attempt. It is a moment which combines both the embrace and abandonment of self-preservation; a visual summary of Glanton, before Cross and Glanton tag-in and out of the film with bullets, as the shock marinades during a striking depiction of the finality of death, as juxtaposed against the excesses of Glanton’s life.

Bound to despair by their own flaws and encapsulated by their location, Eva Mendes's character, Romina, displays contradictions that seem fleetingly implausible but serve to heighten her vulnerability, as she swings between rational independence and infatuated naiveté in the face of the transmitter of all affliction; Glanton. Elsewhere, Ben Mendelsohn’s loneliness elicits empathy and Bruce Greenwood’s steely conviction coated in professional pleasantries, is outstanding. Sean Bobbitt’s cinematography is an enduring treat, delivered through subtle use of rich textures and coloring, accompanying techniques that present action which supersedes any need for blockbusting visual effects. Meanwhile Ray Liotta is easy to despise as a corrupt cop, yet he joins the ranks of the fringe characters whose placement emphasizes blundering plot conclusions, in the attempt to generate the momentum lost in the first of the three disjointed acts.
LaGuertaApr 21, 2013
'The Place Beyond the Pines' rushes through it numerous sections and fails to incorporate the plausibility and emotional depth required to make it the authentically gritty drama it desperately wants to be. Dane DaHaan is the only redeeming'The Place Beyond the Pines' rushes through it numerous sections and fails to incorporate the plausibility and emotional depth required to make it the authentically gritty drama it desperately wants to be. Dane DaHaan is the only redeeming feature in a film which is too clichéd to be taken seriously and too drawn out to be entertaining. Expand
foxgroveApr 16, 2013
This can only be described as major disappointment. The story trajectory is sound, but the whole thing is so slow and drawn out that any real involvement with the characters just doesn't happen. Also, unlike many critics I was moreThis can only be described as major disappointment. The story trajectory is sound, but the whole thing is so slow and drawn out that any real involvement with the characters just doesn't happen. Also, unlike many critics I was more interested in the segments involving Bradley Cooper and the two sons than I was in the Ryan Gosling section, despite this actor's obvious magnetism. It's a shame because there are some wonderful nuances and subtleties throughout which just made me yearn for the film it might have been. Expand
LamontRaymondApr 8, 2013
It's certainly a movie worth seeing, and I'm a big fan of Derek Cianfrance (especially the fantastic Blue Valentine), but this movie gets long and unwieldy after about a third of the way in. It was unfortunate that more of the leadIt's certainly a movie worth seeing, and I'm a big fan of Derek Cianfrance (especially the fantastic Blue Valentine), but this movie gets long and unwieldy after about a third of the way in. It was unfortunate that more of the lead characters couldn't interact through more of the film. What I will say is that the mood, the music, and the visuals are outstanding, so even if it gets a little meandering toward the middle and the end (and you get the dreaded "10 years later"), it's something that should be experienced. Expand