The Place Beyond the Pines

8.3

1. May 20, 2013
    The Place Beyond the Pines rushes out to a fast beginning giving the audience so much but by half way through, becomes a slow and drawn out film that loses its intensity it once had.
  2. Apr 16, 2013
    This hard-to-remember title is actually the native tribe's name for Schenectady, which is where the movie takes place…in 3 parts. First, motorcycle stunt rider (Ryan Gosling) decides to stay in the town where he's fathered a child (with Eva Mendes). His turn to crime segues into part 2, when a good cop (Bradley Cooper) faces corruption on the force. Part 3 takes place 15 years later.This hard-to-remember title is actually the native tribe's name for Schenectady, which is where the movie takes place…in 3 parts. First, motorcycle stunt rider (Ryan Gosling) decides to stay in the town where he's fathered a child (with Eva Mendes). His turn to crime segues into part 2, when a good cop (Bradley Cooper) faces corruption on the force. Part 3 takes place 15 years later. Director Derek Cianfrance LOVES Gosling (they did the self-indulgent "Blue Valentine" together). He lingers on his face in extreme closeups, while Gosling broods and emotes. The rest of the cast is also strong, but it's the complex, compelling script that involves (except the contrived clincher near the end). This is a relentless downer, but a completely absorbing experience. Expand
  3. Jul 5, 2013
    I would have given it a higher rating if it were not for the facts that a) it goes on for waaaay toooooo long, b) Ryan Gosling, as brilliant as he is in this film, is basically playing the same character as in Drive, c) I was confused as to what the meaning of the film was please don't tell me it's the sins of the fathers pass onto their sons! d) Eva Mendes, doing a fine job, yet appearedI would have given it a higher rating if it were not for the facts that a) it goes on for waaaay toooooo long, b) Ryan Gosling, as brilliant as he is in this film, is basically playing the same character as in Drive, c) I was confused as to what the meaning of the film was please don't tell me it's the sins of the fathers pass onto their sons! d) Eva Mendes, doing a fine job, yet appeared like a miscasting to me. Those points aside, all the actors in the film did a mighty fine job with both Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling being outstanding. They gave depth to their characters and made them real; both were flawed yet relatable and believable. The first two parts feel like this is a film about choices and how they can affect not only your life, but those around you. The last part, regarding the lead characters' children, although beautifully acted, lacks insight and therefore goes a bit off the rails for me. Nonetheless, this is a film I would recommend. Expand
  4. Apr 8, 2013
    It's certainly a movie worth seeing, and I'm a big fan of Derek Cianfrance (especially the fantastic Blue Valentine), but this movie gets long and unwieldy after about a third of the way in. It was unfortunate that more of the lead characters couldn't interact through more of the film. What I will say is that the mood, the music, and the visuals are outstanding, so even if it gets aIt's certainly a movie worth seeing, and I'm a big fan of Derek Cianfrance (especially the fantastic Blue Valentine), but this movie gets long and unwieldy after about a third of the way in. It was unfortunate that more of the lead characters couldn't interact through more of the film. What I will say is that the mood, the music, and the visuals are outstanding, so even if it gets a little meandering toward the middle and the end (and you get the dreaded "10 years later"), it's something that should be experienced. Expand
  5. Apr 28, 2013
    You will either walk out of this movie being incredibly thankful for the life that you have, or you will see the world as completely messed up and pointless. This is not a happy movie. It makes Blue Valentine look like Singin' in the Rain. The script is fascinating, but it reveals truths about some aspects of life that are hard to even mention, let alone sit through two and a half hoursYou will either walk out of this movie being incredibly thankful for the life that you have, or you will see the world as completely messed up and pointless. This is not a happy movie. It makes Blue Valentine look like Singin' in the Rain. The script is fascinating, but it reveals truths about some aspects of life that are hard to even mention, let alone sit through two and a half hours of, during a movie. The cast is overall very strong, especially Dane Dehaan, who deserves an Oscar nomination for his performance. This is a very frustrating movie, probably because it is so realistic. It is absolutely my favorite movie of the year so far, and another resounding success on the director's part. Expand
  6. Mar 30, 2013
    Though it feels like the director is looking for something more than it already is, Place Beyond The Pines provides great performances including a stepping stone performance for Eva Mendes.
  7. May 5, 2013
    Disappointed with the disjointed nature of the movie at times. I was wishing for it to just get to the point of its obvious need to connect some important message between the death of the father, his murderer and the evolution of the orphaned son. I love Gosling in general but I was to eager for the movie to end---anywhere!
  8. May 15, 2013
    A very peculiar production by Derek Cianfrance, The Place Beyond the Pines, it tells a story in three separate parts. The first part of this movie is about a lost and confused man with a job in a traveling carnival trying to provide for his child by robbing banks. The second part of the story tells the story of a cop transitioning into a politician after dealings with dirty cops. The thirdA very peculiar production by Derek Cianfrance, The Place Beyond the Pines, it tells a story in three separate parts. The first part of this movie is about a lost and confused man with a job in a traveling carnival trying to provide for his child by robbing banks. The second part of the story tells the story of a cop transitioning into a politician after dealings with dirty cops. The third part of The Place Beyond the Pines explains the fall out 15 years later when the first 2 character's sons meet each other. There are obvious stains in Cianfrance's creation but The Place Beyond the Pines is by far one of the most daring and brilliant films to be released so far this year. Expand
  9. Apr 12, 2013
    Easily the best of 2013 so far. This movie had so much emotion with the soundtrack, characters, and symbolism. Where Django Unchained had me at the edge of my seat with excitment and laughter, PBP hit me right in the heart and soul.
  10. Apr 16, 2013
    This can only be described as major disappointment. The story trajectory is sound, but the whole thing is so slow and drawn out that any real involvement with the characters just doesn't happen. Also, unlike many critics I was more interested in the segments involving Bradley Cooper and the two sons than I was in the Ryan Gosling section, despite this actor's obvious magnetism. It's aThis can only be described as major disappointment. The story trajectory is sound, but the whole thing is so slow and drawn out that any real involvement with the characters just doesn't happen. Also, unlike many critics I was more interested in the segments involving Bradley Cooper and the two sons than I was in the Ryan Gosling section, despite this actor's obvious magnetism. It's a shame because there are some wonderful nuances and subtleties throughout which just made me yearn for the film it might have been. Expand
  11. Apr 21, 2013
    'The Place Beyond the Pines' rushes through it numerous sections and fails to incorporate the plausibility and emotional depth required to make it the authentically gritty drama it desperately wants to be. Dane DaHaan is the only redeeming feature in a film which is too clichéd to be taken seriously and too drawn out to be entertaining.
  12. Nak
    Apr 21, 2013
    Very good acting, slow tedious development of the drama. Three different episodes poorly laced together. I'd rather seen them as three individual stories. No cinematic innovation in three very predictable outcomes.
    It's a bland production.
  13. Jun 15, 2013
    Ryan gosling part is great and in first hour movie flow's nicely.But in the kids scene movie start to suck.Seems like 3 different parts are merged and it won't fit in and damaging the flow. overall acting is near perfection.
  14. Apr 14, 2013
    Breathtaking cinematography. Beautiful and compelling. Incredible first act, story overlaid onto a town like Schenectady which is as much a character in the way it affects the players.
  15. Apr 14, 2013
    The best movie I've seen so far in 2013. The first two parts of this film are fantastic led by great performances by Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper. The third part while good does lack compared to the first two, but the first two are so good it still deserves a ten.
  16. Apr 7, 2013
    This movie is amazing. I feel like Cianfrance knows me, my parents and my family the way he weaves characters together. Blue Valentine already hit close to home and this is Cianfrance doing his thing on a bigger scale. He is a master behind the camera and he has an amazing team in front of the camera. I'm sure this movie will have many haters for its unwieldy structure, but I love thisThis movie is amazing. I feel like Cianfrance knows me, my parents and my family the way he weaves characters together. Blue Valentine already hit close to home and this is Cianfrance doing his thing on a bigger scale. He is a master behind the camera and he has an amazing team in front of the camera. I'm sure this movie will have many haters for its unwieldy structure, but I love this movie and I know others will stand up for it as well. Derek Cianfrance, please keep making movies, because they really do it for me like no other movies do. Expand
  17. Apr 1, 2013
    The story is so melodramatic that this movie is a failure, despite its technical and stunt strengths. It is a failure despite one's suspicions that the melodrama is deliberate. It's a failure despite reuniting the Cianfrance/Gosling team from Blue Valentine.
    You will probably like this movie if you like to look at Gosling and Cooper for 2 hours. You will probably like this movie if you thought that Haggis' Crash was a good movie and not a ham-fisted melodrama. Anyone else should really stay away, despite the PR/marketing hype that it's an artful indie movie.
  18. Apr 28, 2013
    You have to be kidding. The movie doesn't end, and so predictable, that it's almost laughable. Who writes this stuff? Great actors with two movies rolled into one. Both terrible.
  19. May 18, 2013
    I was eagerly awaiting for this film to come out with expectations that it would be special. And even though I was not disappointed by the end result, I am still a little annoyed as this could have been a masterpiece.
    A poetic film defined by its velvety cinematography, a brilliant soundtrack and a beautifully woven layered storyline. The casting is absolutely superb (apart from Emory Cohen who is indifferent and in someways one of the few flaws of the otherwise perfect film) starting with the the mesmerizing Gosling, the on-form Cooper, the unexpectedly brilliant Mendes, the always harrowing Liotta, the consistently cool Mednelsohn and the up and coming intense DeHaan.
    A Greek like tragedy appears to have 3 distinct acts, the first of which is heavenly, the second near spotless (a tad longer than it should have been) and a third only let down by the uneven performance of Cohen, which leaves you guessing whether it is a chance to find redemption or to restart the cycle all over again.
  20. Jul 15, 2013
    If you loved Ryan Gosling in Drive then you should leave this one. The guy starts growing a serious vagina about 20 minutes into the film and ruins everything. Loving that woman and her kid in Drive was fine. He was emotional and intense without saying a word. In this film he starts talking about wanting to see the look in his baby's eyes as he eats ice cream for the first time. I switchedIf you loved Ryan Gosling in Drive then you should leave this one. The guy starts growing a serious vagina about 20 minutes into the film and ruins everything. Loving that woman and her kid in Drive was fine. He was emotional and intense without saying a word. In this film he starts talking about wanting to see the look in his baby's eyes as he eats ice cream for the first time. I switched it off at that point. Also, why the hell would anyone decide to start robbing banks to support a baby they've only just found out they've got? Yeah good idea, risk getting yourself banged up for a few years, good parenting. Expand
  21. Apr 18, 2013
    Garsh, I loved this movie. Reminded me of A History of Violence, another great movie. I will see almost any movie that has Ray Liotta or Ed Harris in it.

In both films, the sons almost steal the movie from their fathers...
  22. Apr 23, 2013
    The best movie of 2013 so far. good drama, action, acting, and direction. Strong story about life's lessons. Long movie but it moves along smoothly.
  23. May 2, 2013
    This is a riveting movie. Although long, it moves at warp speed. Beautifully filmed, judiciously edited, and acted impeccably, it is as urgent and moving a film as I have ever seen. I was not a fan of either Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling or Eva Mendes--that has changed. It is the supporting players, however, who steal the film. It's a tough minded, morally complex, greatly moving fillm.
  24. May 4, 2013
    Not enough praise can be given to a film like this. It boasts a great cast, beautiful cinematography and a raw, haunting and provoking score. But what makes it truly stand out is the bold, never timid, screenplay. One of the more engrossing cinematic experiences I've ever had.
  25. May 10, 2013
    Easily the very best movie of 2013 thus far. And one of my favorite movies. It was just excellent. The setting of the movie really made it all. Small town New York. It really captured the meaning of Sins of the Father. And how they can carry generation to generation. It was just perfect execution on both sides. This was a movie that was totally unpredictable. I would have never seen theEasily the very best movie of 2013 thus far. And one of my favorite movies. It was just excellent. The setting of the movie really made it all. Small town New York. It really captured the meaning of Sins of the Father. And how they can carry generation to generation. It was just perfect execution on both sides. This was a movie that was totally unpredictable. I would have never seen the direction of Luke go the way it went. It was a thrill ride to watch from start to finish. It was a lot better than Cianfrance's Blue Valentine, and I loved that movie. Dear Derek Cianfrance, Please continue to make movies. If The Place Beyond The Pines budget was indeed $15 Million, I can't imagine what you could do with a $40 Million budget. Signed, Clay Merritt

Excellent movie, I highly recommend it.
  26. Apr 17, 2013
    The first really good movie I've seen this year. Sucks that it takes until mid-April for a crime-thriller-drama this good to finally hit theaters. ...Beyond The Pines was refreshing, I did not know exactly where the story was going, and although the run time is over two hours long, it paces itself well. Nice to see a movie starring some big "names" share the screen without one or the otherThe first really good movie I've seen this year. Sucks that it takes until mid-April for a crime-thriller-drama this good to finally hit theaters. ...Beyond The Pines was refreshing, I did not know exactly where the story was going, and although the run time is over two hours long, it paces itself well. Nice to see a movie starring some big "names" share the screen without one or the other taking over the picture for the sake of their celebrity. Just a good story, well acted and crafted. This movie has put Derek Cianfrance in my list of filmmakers to watch out for. Expand
  27. Apr 27, 2013
    Amazing film. After 2010s Blue Valentine, Derek Cianfrance again partners with Ryan Gosling on a film about the workings of the family unit, but this time he focuses on fathers in particular. The film is split into three interrelated storylines, each one so well done and excellently developed that we almost get 3 (great) films at once. At a lengthy 2hrs. 20 minutes, The Place Beyond PinesAmazing film. After 2010s Blue Valentine, Derek Cianfrance again partners with Ryan Gosling on a film about the workings of the family unit, but this time he focuses on fathers in particular. The film is split into three interrelated storylines, each one so well done and excellently developed that we almost get 3 (great) films at once. At a lengthy 2hrs. 20 minutes, The Place Beyond Pines packs a powerful punch thanks the involving story, perfect performances from the cast, and the flawless direction from Cianfrance. He was somehow able to catch every actor at their absolute best and most realistic moment on camera; the performances are all stunning. Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, and Dane Dehaan are electric, and Eva Mendes, Rose Bryne, Ray Liotta, Ben Mendelsohn round out a stunning supporting cast. Though I felt the film was a bit heavily plotted at times (a bit like Blue Valentine was as well, actually), overall the film remains grounded. I fell for every bit of it. Thought provoking, unpredictable, and wholly original, The Place Beyond the Pines is one of the best films of the year. Expand
  28. Apr 14, 2013
    One of the more emotional films I have seen. A great film with Great cinematography and a beautiful soundtrack. Gosling's performance and Mendehlson;s were the most impressive of the film. Towards the end it starts to get a little shaky but overall I was very happy with it. A crime film about fathers and the legacy's they leave for there kids. Go see this film.
  29. Jun 12, 2013
    I read through the positive user reviews of this movie, and it made me think I watched a different movie, than the one they viewed. The way the go into detail about the positives, makes me think they are part of the production crew. I was bored out of my mind watching this. I kept checking my phone countless times, to look at the clock.
    I want the last two hours of my life back!!
  30. Mar 29, 2013
    It's original, fresh and so lavishing that you will cry at the end. The Place Beyond The Pines is a elegant cinematic masterpiece by Derek Cinafrence who has made great films like Blue Valentine. The film has very good thrilling sequences of lore and dramatic sequences of love. The film has great pace and movie quality. The Place Beyond The Pines is epic.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Apr 29, 2013
    An enormously satisfying film: carefully observed and consistently compelling, it feels like an instant American classic, if a minor one.
  2. Reviewed by: Calvin Wilson
    Apr 12, 2013
    The acting is first-rate. Gosling masterfully fills in Luke’s motivational blanks, and Cooper nicely handles Avery’s evolution from idealist to manipulator.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 12, 2013
    It's not a perfect film. There's still room for Cianfrance to grow as a storyteller. But it is entirely rewarding -- and I, for one, can't wait to see where he takes us next.