7.7

1. Nov 11, 2014
    Maravilloso filme dividido en 3 historias, un profundo tratado de como las decisiones de los padres repercuten en los hijos, gran fotografía y actuaciones bien logradas, especialmente la de Ryan Gsoling
  2. Sep 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie never delivers. Its advertised as a crime thriller, drama whatever but how can a thriller be a thriller without a climax? The best part of the movie suddenly ends about 30 minutes in and the rest of the movie is a dragged on boring nothingness. The ending is one of the worst I have ever seen. Expand
  3. Sep 2, 2014
    It's been a long time since I've seen a film present a story this deep and complex. The Place Beyond the Pines tells not only a story but also an epic. As in any epic, there are outcomes which sadden us--but they're always necessary. This film does just that. Bradley Cooper and Eva Mendes give two of the best performances of their careers, but it's Gosling that deserves the Oscar.
  4. Jul 21, 2014
    Sprawling is a good word for The Place Beyond The Pines, and don't forget that I just saw this and it was released in 2012. That does matter as tastes change very quickly in 'Movie Time'.

The story is a sort of Bad Luck one with the main character not lasting throughout the film... I was surprised that the movie kept on changing as the focus completely changed about 1/3 way through the
    film...

Some very good actors in here Ray Liotta, but in the end all the pieces here didn't seem to come completely together... too many irons in the fire.

VERDICT: FAIR BUT NO CASINO/52 OF 100
  5. Jul 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Liked that movie, but i didnt expect the splits, basically in 3 pieces that are clever connected. So the trailer was a bit misleading. Cause the first part with gosling is the strongest, he is fascinating in this movie. Later its still good but it couldnt hold the high level of the beginning Expand
  6. Jul 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metacritic really should have a way to delete reviews​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​. Expand
  7. Jul 6, 2014
    The Place Beyond The Pines is the kind of film that I love. The film is broken up into three stories, starring three different actors, and it all comes together at the end. The film is about two men, one is a criminal, the other is a cop, and both have a decision to make. One makes the right choice, the other makes the wrong one, and fifteen years later, both decisions have a huge impact on their children, who come together in High School. Each part features a different actor, Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, and Dane DeHann. While they were all terrific, it's Cooper who really stands out. I thought he was good in Limitless, but he blows that performance away, giving an Oscar worthy portrayal. Due to the violent nature of the film, of course the Academy overlooked him, but you will be hard pressed to find a better performance all year. He was magically and is the thread that connects the stories. Without Cooper being at his best, this film probably wouldn't have worked out as well as it did. There are so many supporting stars and the story becomes so much more complex than it appears to be. Watching The Place Beyond The Pines was really like seeing three different short plays, that are loosely tied together, but don't make much of an impact until you see the fourth and final act. Once you see the whole picture, you will be blown away, both by the magnitude of the story and an unexpected conclusion. The cast and previews for this film really didn't excite me that much, but the reviews were strong, I gave it a chance, and what I found was another must see movie. Expand
  8. May 25, 2014
    An amazing movie with excellent acting and great stroy telling. It has taken me a couple months to write this review though havin seen the movie months ago. Derek Cianfrance blow me out of the water with his directing skills in this film sure his film Blue Valentine is great but it's not on the level this movie is. The story was great even though is was nothing new but because it was being told from 2 sides and it never really felt like the movie had one main character.

The film follows Ryan Gosling a hot shot stunt driver that ends up having a child so he ends up robbing a bank to provide for his new family. This is when we meat Bradley Cooper a rookie cop trying to prove himself. The films narrative story telling does make the film seem a bit too long and some scene were messy but nothing that bad it can be confusing at time though.

Overall i give it a 7.7
  9. Apr 23, 2014
    This movie clearly shows that America makes quality films. Hands down the best movie I've seen in years. By far the best movie with Bradley cooper. Great cast and amazing story.
  10. Apr 14, 2014
    I love these films that rely on the script and acting and nothing else. They show the true talent. The cast is outstanding all around. Ryan Gosling is great, Eva Mendes is really great and Bradley Cooper is probably better than them in this occasion. However the best performance goes to Dane Dehaan in my opinion. This boy is really the most talented young actor in Hollywood right now. I am sure even his part in the upcoming The Amazing Spiderman 2 will be outstanding. The script is amazing in the sense that it is totally unpredictable. You are constantly trying to guess what comes next but you are never right. This happens especially in the last third. The weakest part is the first third, still good, but it is the slowest and you feel the need for the film to move forward, which happens when the second third begins. I can´t give this more than an 7 because of the slow start and because it is a little too long. But great anyway, definitely many thing to enjoy and admire in the film. Expand
  11. Mar 9, 2014
    A Place Beyond the Pines is nothing if not interesting, with it's three-act protagonist switching structure and time spanning plot. That said, none of the acts really attain much depth and certain aspects (such as Ray Liota) are not given the time they deserve. As a result A Place Beyond the Pines often feels shallow where it should have depth.
  12. Mar 8, 2014
    There are 3 stories within this movie, none of which contained much detail, or made me feel anything for any characters. The best part is when the credits roll, because it's finally over. Way too long, not enough detail, but good acting, still only enough to give it a 1/10
  13. Mar 3, 2014
    A bit like 'Drive'. Slow paced and very drawn out. Bradley Cooper's acting is as good as ever and his character is probably the only reason many, like myself, watched until the very end. Could've been a lot better if it hadn't tried to force itself into being an 'artistic' film.
  14. Feb 15, 2014
    This 2012/2013 crime thriller eerily reminds me of the very intelligent 2005 David Cronenberg movie A History of Violence, right down to the hairstyles of the main characters. In a good way though, both are undoubtedly worth watching. The Place Beyond The Pines is a performance movie if you don’t know what that is, it means a movie which relies on its supposedly strong cast to carry the whole thing because the plot is thin. The difference between The Place Beyond The Pines and a normal performance movie is that the plot is very deep and intelligent. It is believable, but exciting at the same time for almost the whole 140 minute movie. However the performances are brilliant all round, some slightly more than others, the most unknown of the almost ensemble Dane DeHaan is actually the best out of everyone. I have not yet seen Kill Your Darlings in which he stars alongside Daniel Radcliffe, but I will soon and he looks brilliant in that too. I don’t usually comment on how a movie is filmed because I believe it to be quite a lot less complex than many claim, although there is skill involved, the masterful cinematography keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole movie and never lets your attention stray even in the less riveting scenes. The Place Beyond The Pines is a must see, due to many strong performances and a realistic but thrilling plot. Expand
  15. Jan 12, 2014
    A very solid drama. The best aspect of this movie is the fact that it is presented in three parts each part with a different lead and this is really what makes it solid. It's gripping and keeps you watching and waiting to see what happens. Also as a film it seems very real and down to earth. It seems like it's something that could happen which is really rare to see in a film.
  16. Jan 8, 2014
    Two thirds of this movie is really intense and interesting, while the other third feels like a step down. All in all, I thought Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper did some great acting.
  17. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It might be slightly biased for me, considering it was filmed locally and I could pick out locations, but I loved this film. It takes daring leaps, and is told in three riveting parts that cover many topics. The first is mainly about Gosling's character and his path of crime, and then Bradley Cooper's character, who takes down Gosling, and discovers the corruption of the other policemen. Then their two sons meet in high school to discover things about their parents, and it shows how they impacted them, and they finish the story. A truly excellent film.

The Place Beyond the Pines gets an 8.5/10
  18. Dec 18, 2013
    This film could have gone any direction for the purpose of the story and very few would have been the wrong one to take. This shows how great the opening act is. The film did have a lot of story and that was as much a hindrance as it was a an asset. However, the acting performances and the character depth hold together what is a very character based film. As much a Bradley cooper starring role as a gossling, this film delivered a questionable yet emotional story and with the eventual ending righting most of the wrongs of the film. Expand
  19. Nov 25, 2013
    I just adored this film. It bolsters great performances by the lead actors and a fantastically layered script which is filled with the underlying theme of how our decisions effect our families and other people in the world. This film is gritty, smart, and just all around fantastic. One of this years under appreciated gems.
  20. Nov 22, 2013
    Hi, My name's Marcio and I'm from Brazil. The Place Beyond the Pines is the one of the best movies I ever seen! Period! Ryan Gosling is a terrific young actor, this man always surprise me... Impressive! Bradley Cooper always pretty good acting too...
  21. Oct 23, 2013
    Really good film. Yes, it was indeed quite slow, but was what I call "good slow", in that it's not so slow that you are bored to death, but rather it is slow like The Godfather is slow as the slow parts build up to the exciting parts. The story is certainly interesting, the acting was really good, and directing was phenomenal as well. Really enjoyed this one.
  22. Oct 11, 2013
    What can I say....wow.. this is the best 2013 film i have seen so far. Great cast, perfect acting, nice turns in the story keeping it fresh and not predictable. A modern day classic, a perfect film, simply magnificent.
  23. Oct 7, 2013
    We initially meet Luke as he walks towards his day job as a stunt bike driver, suiting up with his back to the camera is Ryan Gosling as the heavily tattooed man, wearing tattered clothes and constantly smoking cigarettes, I was immediately reminded of Mickey Rourke walking from his day job as a butcher in 'The Wrestler' as he hears the crowd around him, Luke has a unique talent as one of the bike riders, but his world changes when a former flame, Romina (Eva Mendes) comes back into his life, he is inadvertently met with the news of having a son. We realise the effect that news of such a multitude can hold, Luke changes his whole way of life in the hope of spending more time with his son, he runs into a friendly mechanic called Robin, he sees the talent in Luke but also sees it for a much more law-breaking sense. Luke and Robin soon embark on various bank robberies, initially to make more money to support Lukes family, but he ends up enjoying the adrenaline rush that comes with the territory. Robin is played by Ben Mendelsohn, who has really taken a career leap after is limited but effective appearance in The Dark Knight Rises, through his actions, we see the dangerous man that Luke is, he adores his son but not many others, brought to meaning by a strong performance as Gosling who is continuing to climb the ranks as one of the most sought after leads in Hollywood. But we also have a bigger picture, as an unprepared Luke runs into the law in the form of young cop Avery, played by Bradley Cooper,who takes the reins as the film begins to shift focus onto his character in fluid and well documented fashion, the cleverest part of this transition is the scenes that bare resemblances to earlier scenes involving Gosling, director Derek Cianfrance has did this to show the similarities of two men at opposite ends of the law, dealing with corruption, love and struggles in a marital relationship. We he quite a scope of film which opens up various side plots and also has a few time jumps which addresses characters and their ongoing life. A very calculated and edgy story keeps this film interesting as it always keeps is guessing with little given away to what the outcome is going to be, it builds at a slow pace to give its more pivotal scenes that added sense of urgency, as Luke bikes along the road it's like we're on the bike with him, candid and thrilling. We also have a small but memorable appearance from Ray Liotta, capitalising on grief while also being corrupt. The film finds its strength in its ability to piece everything together like a puzzle as the film moves forward, Dane DeHaan continues his hot streak in films with an almost show-stealing performance as the grown up son of Luke, while also starting a dysfunctional friendship with AJ (Emory Cohen), the son of Avery. This is a fascinating piece that has various plots that all fit together, strong performances round off a dramatic and clever story that never gives too much away, a scene that DeHaan and Cooper share outlines everything we know from the film, Coopers character asks if his son is alright, to which DeHaan replies "This isn't about your f*****g son" but we immediately realise the film has everything to do with these children, a subtle yet powerful approach to a simplistic telling. Expand
  24. Oct 5, 2013
    The Place Beyond the Pines is an exceptionally well crafted and powerful drama. I don't believe I've ever seen a movie with such a sprawling storyline before; hence the long running time. But I don't think this movie could have truly worked in a shorter version. The performances are all good ,and there are many tense and gripping moments. The movie has three chapters, which are all engaging, but I do wish it focused more on Gosseling's bank robberies. The direction is very tight and focused which is probably one of its best qualities. It's not quite perfect. I can imagine a more stylized and invigorating version of this movie, but I still enjoyed it very much. I wouldn't be surprised if it received some Oscar nods early next year. Expand
  25. Sep 15, 2013
    The most impressive movie I've seen that's come out in 2013. It has it's share of flaws yes, but The Place Beyond The Pines is a movie you can't afford to miss. The movie follows a young man named Luke Glanton who after learning he has a young son, begins to rob banks in order to provide for him. I can't say anymore than that without getting into spoiler territory. But this is without a doubt one of the most ambitious movies In recent memory. It's entertaining, riveting and unpredictable. Expand
  26. Sep 10, 2013
    Ryan Gosling is the 2000 's version of 80 's Mickey Rourke. Great performance. And the soundtrack rocks!!! Fate comes with the kids, fate is the core value on the movie, the best of 2013.
  27. Sep 5, 2013
    "The Place Beyond the Pines" is a highly ambitious melodrama, delivered on an epic scale involving multiple characters that boasts an engrossing cinematic atmosphere, with an impassioned emphasis on humanistic elements. Director Derek Cianfrance has crafted a sweeping three-act story with considerable skill that follows a chronological structure where each narrative rarely intersects. It has the scope and depth of a novel, and puts its trust in the audience to have the patience.

The first story, and unquestionably the strongest, is about Luke (Ryan Gosling), a stunt-bike rider who learns that he has a son by one of his ex-lovers, Romina (Eva Mendes). Ready to man up, he decides to swap his life riding the "Cage of Death" at local fairs to spend time with his new-found family. Problem is, Luke doesn't have the money. It doesn't take much for his new boss and drinking pal Robin (Ben Mendelsohn), to convince him that they are better off robbing banks, while utilizing Luke’s motorcycle skills to evade police. But soon Luke gets greedy, and a robbery goes terribly wrong. In a split second, the focus completely shifts to a seemingly mild-minded street cop named Avery Cross (Bradley Cooper), who has his own agenda and story and yet his life and Luke’s become inevitably entwined.

The second story follows Avery, and the mood and tone of his narrative is distinctly different from Luke’s. However, his inner turmoil is equally compelling however for different reasons. Avery also has a son AJ (Emory Cohen), but his eventual political aspirations keep him from being a caring and attentive father. Both of these men feel guilty for their failures as fathers and sons, and they both try to correct mistakes with worse ones, setting in motion unintended consequences for the next generation.

Both of these stories culminate into a 15 year fast-forward when the audience then sees how Luke and Avery’s characters have impacted their own children. What's so fascinating about the structure of the film is how the story is not about any one individual character, but collectively how these characters have either been impacted by their father, and/or how they impacted their own son. The narrative uniquely strips away identifying a main character of "Beyond the Pines." Instead, it is the father and son dynamic fleshed out that acts as the central theme to the film.

Mike Patton’s beautiful score and Sean Bobbitt’s mix of claustrophobic, extended shots creates an ambience of a grand spectacle spanning generations, yet selecting only a handful of individuals who we get to know very well, and how their lives intersect. In regards to storytelling alone, "Beyond the Pines" is a formidable endeavor. Unfortunately, due to its ambitious, unconventional approach, it weakens the connected narrative in the third act. Nonetheless, it's impossible to deny its overall overpowering cumulative effect.
  28. Sep 1, 2013
    I'm glad you took the time.
    I did not know what to expect when I started, but it was worth it.
    Was atmosphere, the history and the problems raised by the people could think.
  29. Aug 17, 2013
    great acting but the story is crap filled and boring its like three short stories and not a full film boring and a waste of time, couple hours people wont get back
  30. Aug 14, 2013
    The title may sound like a some tourist trap gift shop near a nature trail but I think this movie may be the best drama I've seen in 2013. The story quickly sucked me in and was just enthralling. And the performances--from all the participants--are some of the best I've seen from each of them ever. The drama is done just right and the emotion is so heavy that it is practically soaking up the actual film stock. Just a great movie. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Apr 29, 2013
    An enormously satisfying film: carefully observed and consistently compelling, it feels like an instant American classic, if a minor one.
  2. Reviewed by: Calvin Wilson
    Apr 12, 2013
    The acting is first-rate. Gosling masterfully fills in Luke’s motivational blanks, and Cooper nicely handles Avery’s evolution from idealist to manipulator.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 12, 2013
    It's not a perfect film. There's still room for Cianfrance to grow as a storyteller. But it is entirely rewarding -- and I, for one, can't wait to see where he takes us next.