7.7

1. Apr 14, 2014
    I love these films that rely on the script and acting and nothing else. They show the true talent. The cast is outstanding all around. Ryan Gosling is great, Eva Mendes is really great and Bradley Cooper is probably better than them in this occasion. However the best performance goes to Dane Dehaan in my opinion. This boy is really the most talented young actor in Hollywood right now. I am sure even his part in the upcoming The Amazing Spiderman 2 will be outstanding. The script is amazing in the sense that it is totally unpredictable. You are constantly trying to guess what comes next but you are never right. This happens especially in the last third. The weakest part is the first third, still good, but it is the slowest and you feel the need for the film to move forward, which happens when the second third begins. I can´t give this more than an 7 because of the slow start and because it is a little too long. But great anyway, definitely many thing to enjoy and admire in the film. Expand
  2. Mar 9, 2014
    A Place Beyond the Pines is nothing if not interesting, with it's three-act protagonist switching structure and time spanning plot. That said, none of the acts really attain much depth and certain aspects (such as Ray Liota) are not given the time they deserve. As a result A Place Beyond the Pines often feels shallow where it should have depth.
  3. Mar 8, 2014
    There are 3 stories within this movie, none of which contained much detail, or made me feel anything for any characters. The best part is when the credits roll, because it's finally over. Way too long, not enough detail, but good acting, still only enough to give it a 1/10
  4. Mar 3, 2014
    A bit like 'Drive'. Slow paced and very drawn out. Bradley Cooper's acting is as good as ever and his character is probably the only reason many, like myself, watched until the very end. Could've been a lot better if it hadn't tried to force itself into being an 'artistic' film.
  5. Feb 15, 2014
    This 2012/2013 crime thriller eerily reminds me of the very intelligent 2005 David Cronenberg movie A History of Violence, right down to the hairstyles of the main characters. In a good way though, both are undoubtedly worth watching. The Place Beyond The Pines is a performance movie if you don’t know what that is, it means a movie which relies on its supposedly strong cast to carry the whole thing because the plot is thin. The difference between The Place Beyond The Pines and a normal performance movie is that the plot is very deep and intelligent. It is believable, but exciting at the same time for almost the whole 140 minute movie. However the performances are brilliant all round, some slightly more than others, the most unknown of the almost ensemble Dane DeHaan is actually the best out of everyone. I have not yet seen Kill Your Darlings in which he stars alongside Daniel Radcliffe, but I will soon and he looks brilliant in that too. I don’t usually comment on how a movie is filmed because I believe it to be quite a lot less complex than many claim, although there is skill involved, the masterful cinematography keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole movie and never lets your attention stray even in the less riveting scenes. The Place Beyond The Pines is a must see, due to many strong performances and a realistic but thrilling plot. Expand
  6. Jan 12, 2014
    A very solid drama. The best aspect of this movie is the fact that it is presented in three parts each part with a different lead and this is really what makes it solid. It's gripping and keeps you watching and waiting to see what happens. Also as a film it seems very real and down to earth. It seems like it's something that could happen which is really rare to see in a film.
  7. Jan 8, 2014
    Two thirds of this movie is really intense and interesting, while the other third feels like a step down. All in all, I thought Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper did some great acting.
  8. Jan 7, 2014
    Esta pelicula me gusto mucho, tuvo drama."The Place Beyond the Pines" tiene un excelente argumento y un excelente guion, con un buen elenco y buenas interpretaciones.Esta pelicula vale la pena verla.
  9. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It might be slightly biased for me, considering it was filmed locally and I could pick out locations, but I loved this film. It takes daring leaps, and is told in three riveting parts that cover many topics. The first is mainly about Gosling's character and his path of crime, and then Bradley Cooper's character, who takes down Gosling, and discovers the corruption of the other policemen. Then their two sons meet in high school to discover things about their parents, and it shows how they impacted them, and they finish the story. A truly excellent film.

The Place Beyond the Pines gets an 8.5/10
  10. Dec 18, 2013
    This film could have gone any direction for the purpose of the story and very few would have been the wrong one to take. This shows how great the opening act is. The film did have a lot of story and that was as much a hindrance as it was a an asset. However, the acting performances and the character depth hold together what is a very character based film. As much a Bradley cooper starring role as a gossling, this film delivered a questionable yet emotional story and with the eventual ending righting most of the wrongs of the film. Expand
  11. Nov 25, 2013
    I just adored this film. It bolsters great performances by the lead actors and a fantastically layered script which is filled with the underlying theme of how our decisions effect our families and other people in the world. This film is gritty, smart, and just all around fantastic. One of this years under appreciated gems.
  12. Nov 22, 2013
    Hi, My name's Marcio and I'm from Brazil. The Place Beyond the Pines is the one of the best movies I ever seen! Period! Ryan Gosling is a terrific young actor, this man always surprise me... Impressive! Bradley Cooper always pretty good acting too...
  13. Oct 23, 2013
    Really good film. Yes, it was indeed quite slow, but was what I call "good slow", in that it's not so slow that you are bored to death, but rather it is slow like The Godfather is slow as the slow parts build up to the exciting parts. The story is certainly interesting, the acting was really good, and directing was phenomenal as well. Really enjoyed this one.
  14. Oct 11, 2013
    What can I say....wow.. this is the best 2013 film i have seen so far. Great cast, perfect acting, nice turns in the story keeping it fresh and not predictable. A modern day classic, a perfect film, simply magnificent.
  15. Oct 7, 2013
    We initially meet Luke as he walks towards his day job as a stunt bike driver, suiting up with his back to the camera is Ryan Gosling as the heavily tattooed man, wearing tattered clothes and constantly smoking cigarettes, I was immediately reminded of Mickey Rourke walking from his day job as a butcher in 'The Wrestler' as he hears the crowd around him, Luke has a unique talent as one of the bike riders, but his world changes when a former flame, Romina (Eva Mendes) comes back into his life, he is inadvertently met with the news of having a son. We realise the effect that news of such a multitude can hold, Luke changes his whole way of life in the hope of spending more time with his son, he runs into a friendly mechanic called Robin, he sees the talent in Luke but also sees it for a much more law-breaking sense. Luke and Robin soon embark on various bank robberies, initially to make more money to support Lukes family, but he ends up enjoying the adrenaline rush that comes with the territory. Robin is played by Ben Mendelsohn, who has really taken a career leap after is limited but effective appearance in The Dark Knight Rises, through his actions, we see the dangerous man that Luke is, he adores his son but not many others, brought to meaning by a strong performance as Gosling who is continuing to climb the ranks as one of the most sought after leads in Hollywood. But we also have a bigger picture, as an unprepared Luke runs into the law in the form of young cop Avery, played by Bradley Cooper,who takes the reins as the film begins to shift focus onto his character in fluid and well documented fashion, the cleverest part of this transition is the scenes that bare resemblances to earlier scenes involving Gosling, director Derek Cianfrance has did this to show the similarities of two men at opposite ends of the law, dealing with corruption, love and struggles in a marital relationship. We he quite a scope of film which opens up various side plots and also has a few time jumps which addresses characters and their ongoing life. A very calculated and edgy story keeps this film interesting as it always keeps is guessing with little given away to what the outcome is going to be, it builds at a slow pace to give its more pivotal scenes that added sense of urgency, as Luke bikes along the road it's like we're on the bike with him, candid and thrilling. We also have a small but memorable appearance from Ray Liotta, capitalising on grief while also being corrupt. The film finds its strength in its ability to piece everything together like a puzzle as the film moves forward, Dane DeHaan continues his hot streak in films with an almost show-stealing performance as the grown up son of Luke, while also starting a dysfunctional friendship with AJ (Emory Cohen), the son of Avery. This is a fascinating piece that has various plots that all fit together, strong performances round off a dramatic and clever story that never gives too much away, a scene that DeHaan and Cooper share outlines everything we know from the film, Coopers character asks if his son is alright, to which DeHaan replies "This isn't about your f*****g son" but we immediately realise the film has everything to do with these children, a subtle yet powerful approach to a simplistic telling. Expand
  16. Oct 5, 2013
    The Place Beyond the Pines is an exceptionally well crafted and powerful drama. I don't believe I've ever seen a movie with such a sprawling storyline before; hence the long running time. But I don't think this movie could have truly worked in a shorter version. The performances are all good ,and there are many tense and gripping moments. The movie has three chapters, which are all engaging, but I do wish it focused more on Gosseling's bank robberies. The direction is very tight and focused which is probably one of its best qualities. It's not quite perfect. I can imagine a more stylized and invigorating version of this movie, but I still enjoyed it very much. I wouldn't be surprised if it received some Oscar nods early next year. Expand
  17. Sep 15, 2013
    The most impressive movie I've seen that's come out in 2013. It has it's share of flaws yes, but The Place Beyond The Pines is a movie you can't afford to miss. The movie follows a young man named Luke Glanton who after learning he has a young son, begins to rob banks in order to provide for him. I can't say anymore than that without getting into spoiler territory. But this is without a doubt one of the most ambitious movies In recent memory. It's entertaining, riveting and unpredictable. Expand
  18. Sep 10, 2013
    Ryan Gosling is the 2000 's version of 80 's Mickey Rourke. Great performance. And the soundtrack rocks!!! Fate comes with the kids, fate is the core value on the movie, the best of 2013.
  19. Sep 5, 2013
    "The Place Beyond the Pines" is a highly ambitious melodrama, delivered on an epic scale involving multiple characters that boasts an engrossing cinematic atmosphere, with an impassioned emphasis on humanistic elements. Director Derek Cianfrance has crafted a sweeping three-act story with considerable skill that follows a chronological structure where each narrative rarely intersects. It has the scope and depth of a novel, and puts its trust in the audience to have the patience.

The first story, and unquestionably the strongest, is about Luke (Ryan Gosling), a stunt-bike rider who learns that he has a son by one of his ex-lovers, Romina (Eva Mendes). Ready to man up, he decides to swap his life riding the "Cage of Death" at local fairs to spend time with his new-found family. Problem is, Luke doesn't have the money. It doesn't take much for his new boss and drinking pal Robin (Ben Mendelsohn), to convince him that they are better off robbing banks, while utilizing Luke’s motorcycle skills to evade police. But soon Luke gets greedy, and a robbery goes terribly wrong. In a split second, the focus completely shifts to a seemingly mild-minded street cop named Avery Cross (Bradley Cooper), who has his own agenda and story and yet his life and Luke’s become inevitably entwined.

The second story follows Avery, and the mood and tone of his narrative is distinctly different from Luke’s. However, his inner turmoil is equally compelling however for different reasons. Avery also has a son AJ (Emory Cohen), but his eventual political aspirations keep him from being a caring and attentive father. Both of these men feel guilty for their failures as fathers and sons, and they both try to correct mistakes with worse ones, setting in motion unintended consequences for the next generation.

Both of these stories culminate into a 15 year fast-forward when the audience then sees how Luke and Avery’s characters have impacted their own children. What's so fascinating about the structure of the film is how the story is not about any one individual character, but collectively how these characters have either been impacted by their father, and/or how they impacted their own son. The narrative uniquely strips away identifying a main character of "Beyond the Pines." Instead, it is the father and son dynamic fleshed out that acts as the central theme to the film.

Mike Patton’s beautiful score and Sean Bobbitt’s mix of claustrophobic, extended shots creates an ambience of a grand spectacle spanning generations, yet selecting only a handful of individuals who we get to know very well, and how their lives intersect. In regards to storytelling alone, "Beyond the Pines" is a formidable endeavor. Unfortunately, due to its ambitious, unconventional approach, it weakens the connected narrative in the third act. Nonetheless, it's impossible to deny its overall overpowering cumulative effect.
  20. Sep 1, 2013
    I'm glad you took the time.
    I did not know what to expect when I started, but it was worth it.
    Was atmosphere, the history and the problems raised by the people could think.
  21. Aug 17, 2013
    great acting but the story is crap filled and boring its like three short stories and not a full film boring and a waste of time, couple hours people wont get back
  22. Aug 14, 2013
    The title may sound like a some tourist trap gift shop near a nature trail but I think this movie may be the best drama I've seen in 2013. The story quickly sucked me in and was just enthralling. And the performances--from all the participants--are some of the best I've seen from each of them ever. The drama is done just right and the emotion is so heavy that it is practically soaking up the actual film stock. Just a great movie. Expand
  23. Aug 4, 2013
    This movie hit all the right notes for me. Visually, it's beautiful. The cinematography is incredibly well done, every shot is done just right. The soundtrack was perfect and really fit the subtle dark undertones this movie gives off. As for the acting, every major character in the movie is portrayed superbly well and full of emotion. Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper stand out to me as the two major actors who really nailed their roles in this movie, but Dane DeHaan also gives a very convincing and powerful performance. The story, without spoiling anything, can only be described as emotionally gripping. My only complaint with this film is that the third act was a bit too long. This is a very minor issue however, it gave me time to really soak in the entire movie and appreciate the final moments of this great film. Expand
  24. Jul 29, 2013
    I gave it a 10 the first time I watched, but after a second viewing I recognized some of it's flaws in terms of pacing and character development. I like it a lot, but not nearly as much as Blue Valentine.
  25. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The place beyond the pines is not just a Mohawk denomination for a little town (Schenectady), but is the name of a little-big masterpiece. I totally loved the plot that runs really good and let pass two hour and half like no other recent movie. I loved the acting of Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper. So emotionally, so deep and when "Luke Glanton" starts to be a bank robber, your adrenaline stars to flow like him in the movie as well as for "Avery Cross" and his peripeteias.

Derek Cianfrance is one of the "new" cinema's promises and I feel like he'll be back soon with another masterpiece, his job on this movie is just fantastic.

My vote is 9/10.
  26. Jul 21, 2013
    I went to see this movie 'blind' not even knowing it would be split into 3 stories. Guess I was a bit disillusioned when the 1st story ended apruptly when it was most exciting. Of course the stories are tied together... but the overall tone of what lay ahead of me in the 2nd story can only be described as depressing. The middle part is about guilt and all but it wasn't handled well. The 3rd part was more interesting again and even gave the viewer some hope that things could be kinda sorted out in the end.

In my humble opinion they should've continued the first story and work with that. I'd have liked to see some more action/tension from that point forward but sadly things went wrong very soon...
  27. Jul 15, 2013
    If you loved Ryan Gosling in Drive then you should leave this one. The guy starts growing a serious vagina about 20 minutes into the film and ruins everything. Loving that woman and her kid in Drive was fine. He was emotional and intense without saying a word. In this film he starts talking about wanting to see the look in his baby's eyes as he eats ice cream for the first time. I switched it off at that point. Also, why the hell would anyone decide to start robbing banks to support a baby they've only just found out they've got? Yeah good idea, risk getting yourself banged up for a few years, good parenting. Expand
  28. Jul 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The place beyond the pines is a 2012 drama film directed by Derek Cinafrance (director of Blue Valentine) with Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper and Eva Mnedes. The plot is divided into three parts: the first part speaks of Luke (Ryan Gosling), a motorcyclist who was discovered to have had a son from his relationship with Romina (Eva Mendes), who is now married to another, she decides to start robbing banks to support his son. The second part talks about Avery (Bradley Cooper), a policeman while chasing Luke that he had robbed a bank, kills him and is called by all as a hero but this one did the will leave an enormous sense of guilt that will bring with him for a long time. The third and final part speaks of the children of Luke and Avery who become friends but later this friendship will crumble and the son of Luke, Jason, he discovers the truth about his past. A very ambitious film that succeeds thanks to the direction and screenplay of Cinfrance, to strike the viewer. The film teaches us the importance of the family and we see an example through the relationship between Luke and his son Jason. Beyond that, the film also speaks to us of the fate and how these three stories will eventually be united. Expand
  29. Jul 5, 2013
    I would have given it a higher rating if it were not for the facts that a) it goes on for waaaay toooooo long, b) Ryan Gosling, as brilliant as he is in this film, is basically playing the same character as in Drive, c) I was confused as to what the meaning of the film was please don't tell me it's the sins of the fathers pass onto their sons! d) Eva Mendes, doing a fine job, yet appeared like a miscasting to me. Those points aside, all the actors in the film did a mighty fine job with both Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling being outstanding. They gave depth to their characters and made them real; both were flawed yet relatable and believable. The first two parts feel like this is a film about choices and how they can affect not only your life, but those around you. The last part, regarding the lead characters' children, although beautifully acted, lacks insight and therefore goes a bit off the rails for me. Nonetheless, this is a film I would recommend. Expand
  30. Jul 3, 2013
    One of the best films i have seen in 2013 so far. The story is fantastic, and Bradley Cooper is brilliant! Also the movie has a great twist. Also one of the better father and son movies.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Apr 29, 2013
    An enormously satisfying film: carefully observed and consistently compelling, it feels like an instant American classic, if a minor one.
  2. Reviewed by: Calvin Wilson
    Apr 12, 2013
    The acting is first-rate. Gosling masterfully fills in Luke’s motivational blanks, and Cooper nicely handles Avery’s evolution from idealist to manipulator.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 12, 2013
    It's not a perfect film. There's still room for Cianfrance to grow as a storyteller. But it is entirely rewarding -- and I, for one, can't wait to see where he takes us next.