The Player

8.6

1. AndyB.
    Jan 29, 2002
    An absolute must-see. In my mind, this is Altman's best work. The first shot is the coolest I've ever seen.
  2. GarettT.
    Aug 2, 2003
    One of the best films ever made by Altman, and one of the best films ever made.
  3. ThisIsGilbertMulroneycakesCallingFromRockall
    Dec 29, 2003
    Once again, Yoon Min Cho and I have been watching different films with the same title. The film I saw is easily the least good-natured film Altman has ever made. It has curiousity, insight, ruthlessness and passion in spades, and no-one but no-one gets a pat on the back - or when they do, it's a very hard one that wooshes all the air out of their lungs at once. Don't overthink Once again, Yoon Min Cho and I have been watching different films with the same title. The film I saw is easily the least good-natured film Altman has ever made. It has curiousity, insight, ruthlessness and passion in spades, and no-one but no-one gets a pat on the back - or when they do, it's a very hard one that wooshes all the air out of their lungs at once. Don't overthink the celebrity cameos either - the only ones that are designed to make any impact are Bruce Willis and Julia Roberts. Almost everyone else will pretty much pass you by. Besides, YMC's spoilt the film for himself by overthinking like that. Who cares if they're acting the martyr while faking self-criticism? Seems to me that the joke's on them if they are, because Hollywood doesn't come out of this film in a very good light. Whatever, at least he didn't say - as some chancer pretending to be a movie critic here in Britain once said - that it was "sloppily directed". If I ever find that one person - and the search goes on - I will, unfortunately, be forced to beat him with a truncheon, take him into a room, tie him up, and force him to watch one of the most incredible single shots in cinema history prior to the entirety of "Russian Ark" - the opening eight-minute crane tracking shot of the hugest area you can imagine, a shot which can only have been done by Robert Altman, possibly conceptualised with the assistance of some of his herbal cigarettes. It's a beautiful thing. If it was up to me, no movie with a shot like that could get anything less than a green Meta rating. And even though it's not up to me - which is just as well, because I'd only break the website in the first few minutes - that's what it's getting, because it's a nasty masterpiece. Anyone else made it, it'd be the jewel in his crown. But Altman keeps making those great movies, so this is more like a little emerald on the side. Still gets 10 though. Expand
  4. Dec 22, 2011
    This film is one of the best satires on Hollywood ever made. Only Billy Wilder's Sunset Boulevard beats it.
    Tim Robbin's is a movie executive who screenwriters come to get there scripts made into films. When he starts receiving death threats from a screenwriter he turned down in the past his life takes a dramatic turn for the worst.
    The thriller plot is great but conversations about
    The thriller plot is great but conversations about films overheard in the background of the movie are partly what make this a very interesting film to watch again and again. The main character murders someone in cold blood. Only a truly great filmmaker could make us care for him and take his side throughout. This film is a marvellously devilish satire.
  5. MikeC.
    Mar 5, 2004
    A very clever movie with a classic twist at the end (the Willis/Roberts bit). But Robbins is too blank. He is miscast I think. The lead here calls for somebody you can like AND hate. Robbins is just too likeable. He should have played the Gallagher role, or the D'Onfrio role. D'Onofrio should have been the lead. Or someone else, maybe Hugh Grant, for instance.
  6. Feb 27, 2015
    Directed by the legendary Robert Altman, The Player is a riveting tale of murder, suspense, and Hollywood, featuring stellar acting from a largely low-key cast (other than Tim Robbins, who isn't huge and wasn't at the time for sure). Great direction and acting bolster this one greatly, but really, it is the fantastic writing that wraps it all up with a bow, as this one is the completeDirected by the legendary Robert Altman, The Player is a riveting tale of murder, suspense, and Hollywood, featuring stellar acting from a largely low-key cast (other than Tim Robbins, who isn't huge and wasn't at the time for sure). Great direction and acting bolster this one greatly, but really, it is the fantastic writing that wraps it all up with a bow, as this one is the complete package. I find Hollywood and the behind the scenes stuff endlessly interesting, so this one is of course going to be in the wheelhouse, but I enjoyed the satirical tone of the film and how it blended with the serious elements of murder. The imagery and symbolism is also very cool here and worthy of mention, as it is those small elements that really make this one a cool watch. Very intriguing, slightly funny, and brilliantly put together, The Player is a winner. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Michael Tolkin's script abounds in such cynical wisdom, but it never loses an appreciation for the grace with which these snakes consume their victims. [13 April 1992]
  2. The surface activity keeps one occupied, but never adds up to much because none of the characters is developed beyond the cartoon level; and the snobby sense of knowingness that's over everything is uncomfortably close to what the movie is supposed to be dissecting.
    A rare commodity. It's brilliant and a guilty pleasure. A subtle damning of things Hollywood, Robert Altman's seriocomedy slices its target with a thousand, imperceptible razor cuts.