Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: November 10, 2004
6.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 174 Ratings
Watch Now
reviewfrom19842Feb 2, 2017
The Polar Express I watch this movie every time around Christmas it's the perfect Christmas movie .
EpicLadySpongeJan 3, 2017
The Polar Express can't beat numerous other animated films like "The Incredibles" and "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie", but for whatever heart this film has and takes, it manages to be a heartwarming welcome and heartbreaking goodbye.
Nobilis1984Dec 24, 2016
An interesting children's film from the year 2004. At the time the CGI was not yet as far as today but it would look great.
Still a nice movie for the little ones.
MasterRileyDec 20, 2016
The Polar Express is one of my favourite Christmas movies. I feel it has a really good Christmas spirit to it and is good for the whole family. It is one of those movies I find myself wanting to rewatch every holiday season.
FreedomFightersOct 31, 2016
It's honestly fascinating to see this film garner such a huge cult following after initially being seen as just "okay." Years after release, many consider it to be a wonderful Christmas film, and why not? Even though the character models areIt's honestly fascinating to see this film garner such a huge cult following after initially being seen as just "okay." Years after release, many consider it to be a wonderful Christmas film, and why not? Even though the character models are off-putting, the overall visual design is great, the story is pretty solid, the film stays true to the book (not easy to do when the book is as short as it is), and it features some really touching moments. "The Polar Express" is a great film that's definitely a worthy watch during the Holiday season. Expand
gameguardian21Sep 26, 2016
The polar express is actually a pretty good Christmas movie. While it doesn't have any much good characters, it's story is presented well with pretty good animation style, and a nice theme to it.
FilmClubMar 27, 2016
Robert Zemeckis and Tom Hanks appear to have taken an ambitious misstep. Straining with all the elaborate new-fangled wizardry at its disposal to become an instant Christmas classic steeped in old-fashioned storybook charm. Warner release isRobert Zemeckis and Tom Hanks appear to have taken an ambitious misstep. Straining with all the elaborate new-fangled wizardry at its disposal to become an instant Christmas classic steeped in old-fashioned storybook charm. Warner release is strictly for young children and looks unlikely to challenge Disney/Pixar's "The Incredibles."

Given that this $165 million gamble is more interesting as a technical achievement than as storytelling, there is additional curiosity value in its IMAX 3D release, which will occur simultaneously on Nov. 10 with the standard-print rollout. Even on a regular screen, the action often displays a tangible, at times visceral 3D quality, so the giant screen format and immersion in the action may help give the unsatisfying film more audience immediacy and excitement.

While digital animation has made considerable strides in the past decade, the trick of creating emotionally vivid, realistic human characters has yet to be achieved. Pixar’s “Toy Story” movies got by with peripherally featured humans, but attempts to move beyond that, like Sony’s 2001 interactive computer game-derived “Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within,” have been cold and distancing.

“The Polar Express” may succeed via the motion-capture process in replicating human movement by digitalizing the performances of live actors, but it fails to capture the subtlety of facial expressions or to fabricate sympathetic, evocative figures, particularly of the children that are key to this adaptation of Chris Van Allsburg’s beloved fairy tale.

In fact, the three dead-eyed tykes who lead the action here resemble nothing so much as Stepford children, giving the film an at times creepy feel, amplified in the later reels by spindly, hyperactive elves (who perform stereotypical Jewish shtick, including Yiddish) and a Santa who descends on the North Pole town square like some kind of yuletide Mussolini hitting Piazza Venezia.

Adding to the emotional remoteness of the three kids is the fact they don’t have names. While small children are perhaps less likely than adults to find the strange unintended subtext of the film off-putting, it’s hard to imagine them empathizing much with such stock figures: a middle-class boy from suburban Middle America in whom the first signs of doubt about the existence of Santa Claus have begun to manifest themselves; a smart black girl with incipient leadership qualities; and a poor boy from the wrong side of the tracks, whom Christmas has always passed by.

While the story chronicles the kids’ journey toward life lessons — the importance of friendship, courage, magic, trust or simply belief in the spirit of Christmas — there’s surprisingly little flesh on the narrative bones. Instead, action covers a series of brushes with danger that create the illusion of a propulsive narrative but never really develop into a satisfying fable.

The main girl’s momentary loss of her train ticket prompts a hair-raising scramble along the roof of the moving train where a hobo (Hanks) camps out; a mass caribou crossing brings the engine to a screeching halt just in time; the iced-over tracks send the train sliding out of control, narrowly avoiding catastrophe when the ice cracks.

There’s a curious lack of the quintessential characteristics of wonderment, joy and childhood reaffirmation that might have made the completion of the kids’ journey of self-discovery register with more emotional warmth. Despite unrelenting use of an aggressively heart-tugging score by Alan Silvestri, the story merely plays out as an inflated spectacle with not much to tell.

Voice work is of secondary importance here to the visual action, much of which is exhilaratingly muscular and rich in movement. The ice episode is spectacularly illustrated, as is the dizzying flight of the girl’s lost ticket, snatched up by an eagle and then let loose again to flutter back down to the train.

The story’s imposing landscape of snow-covered mountains, vast plains, thick forests and skies electrified by the Arctic lights is faithful to the style of Van Allsburg’s illustrations and often exhibits the painterly look of vintage children’s books.
simonerodriguezMar 13, 2016
no words can explain how this movie made me feel! it was one of the BEST movies i ever saw! Everything about this movie was perfect, i cried like a baby!!!
Jay777Jan 19, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THE MOST BORING MOVIE OF ALL TIME
Lots of parents love it.
But kids hate it.
When this came out when I was a kid I was soooooooooooooo upset it didn't make sense how the train just shows up at the kid house.
And it's boring for kids. There are some scary scenes. TERRIBLE CRISTMAS MOVIE
bowsebwahahahaDec 25, 2015
bwahahahahahahahahahahaha! I'm Bowser and imma so evil writing bad reviews for movies #so evil

This review was written for the purpose of a funny video on YouTube. This does not reflect my opinion on this movie.
CineAutoctonoDec 8, 2015
A really good movie for the holidays, in fact almost abuurida , but the plot is magnificent , spectacular animation of Robert Zemeckis is able to devise.
csw12Nov 26, 2015
The Polar Express is good in the beginning, then begins to stumble and then like the train it compleltly falls off the tracks and stays there. This seemed to be the unhappiest Christmas movie i have ever seen.
DanBurritoSep 25, 2015
This is easily the best Christmas movie ever made. I watch it every year around December and it never gets old. I don't know why people call the animation "unsettling" because I've saw this when I was like four and I wasn't even a LITTLE bitThis is easily the best Christmas movie ever made. I watch it every year around December and it never gets old. I don't know why people call the animation "unsettling" because I've saw this when I was like four and I wasn't even a LITTLE bit freaked out. There are some great songs (my favourite being "Hot Chocolate") and great characters. Recommended for ALL ages. A Christmas Classic. Expand
YellowKirbySep 10, 2015
This is the most magical Christmas movie ever. I'm not usually a fan of the phrase 'instant classic;, but this truly is one. People who don't like this clearly can no longer hear the ringing of the silver bell.
BeastprogamerJul 12, 2015
One of the best or if not, THE best christmas/ holiday movie in my opinion, Polar Express is a very great movie. Outside, it is snowing and the kids watching the film drinking hot chocolate, this movie is PERFECT for that IMO. The storylineOne of the best or if not, THE best christmas/ holiday movie in my opinion, Polar Express is a very great movie. Outside, it is snowing and the kids watching the film drinking hot chocolate, this movie is PERFECT for that IMO. The storyline is good. The characters are very good. The voice Acting was awesome and great especially Tom Hanks. The animation is perfect. The sounds and music were good. The Polar Express is a very great film and if you hate it, you're BEYOND silly as JB. Expand
lomeliJun 16, 2015
This may be nostalgia talking, but I have yet to find a film since The Polar Express that so perfectly encapsulates the sheer magic and spirit that accompanies Christmas time.
teddylukeApr 23, 2015
the polar express is a good movie to watch on the holidays. the charters where either good ok or bad but tolerable. the ending was really good I say check it out.
homer4presidentMar 28, 2015
The story of a boy who boards a train to meet the big guy, Santa, himself. He's caught between believing and not. It's such an adventure of excitement and merriment. It's sure to be a holiday classic.
I love Tom Hanks.
DBPirate1129Jan 11, 2015
Perhaps one of the best Christmas movies you could pick for your kids to watch. It's visually stunning and the animation is spot on. Though the singing may be a bit cringeworthy for older viewers, its classic tunes are perfect for youngsters.
Trev29Dec 20, 2014
The Polar Express is mostly enjoyable to watch and look at except for the creepy human animation. It also feels like one long unnecessary scene after another that could have been easily condensed.
MalamarNov 6, 2014
I love this movie. This is a movie that you can sit down with your family and get a bag of popcorn and have a good time. Thus movie is one of a kind its so original. With a great cast and funny cast. With a Christmas theme train going to theI love this movie. This is a movie that you can sit down with your family and get a bag of popcorn and have a good time. Thus movie is one of a kind its so original. With a great cast and funny cast. With a Christmas theme train going to the North Pole to see Santa. The adventure is just amazing and it looks beautiful. This is a movie you have to see. Expand
MovieGuysApr 21, 2014
The Polar Express is not Zemeckis' best film, but not his worst. The animation is quite good, and the movie is generally entertaining, but there is something about the story that doesn't quite connect with you.
lukechristianscMar 21, 2014
it never gets old well sometimes it does watching polar express . Its like a family tradition watching one of a classic christmas movies on Christmas eve or any day on december
cbeers2513Dec 20, 2013
The Polar Express has the magic to become a holiday classic but is marred by technical bugs and plot failures. While there are countless memorable moments on the train, its passengers fail to leave any impact on an emotional level. All of theThe Polar Express has the magic to become a holiday classic but is marred by technical bugs and plot failures. While there are countless memorable moments on the train, its passengers fail to leave any impact on an emotional level. All of the children are bland and ghostlike, and only Hanks' conductor provides a spark of life into the movie. However, the spirit of Christmas in this film is nearly unrivaled in Hollywood, possessing an instantly likable sense of innocence and charm that is extremely refreshing. The atmosphere, sense of wonder, and overall theme are what powers the movie forward, propelling it above its flaws into a memorable experience for all ages. While it is not at the top of the holiday wish list, it is able to scale the mountain through its undeniable charm. In short, this is one train you should get on board.

7.5/10

Follow me on twitter. @cbeers2513
ViolettNov 19, 2013
How hard skin you should have to rate this movie low. Did you ever have good Christmas, poor people? This is a tale, magical and wonderful. Light Christmas tale about the spirit of celebration. Do you want to be a child for couple of hoursHow hard skin you should have to rate this movie low. Did you ever have good Christmas, poor people? This is a tale, magical and wonderful. Light Christmas tale about the spirit of celebration. Do you want to be a child for couple of hours again, want to feel this spirit of Christmas? Then try this movie, gather your family, your parents if you are young, your kids if you are old and enjoy. Expand
RayzorMooseNov 13, 2013
The Polar Express rides to victory.
A magical, beautifully animated holiday tale of Christmas spirit. The Polar Express mystifies with its realism, enjoy.
drlowdonJun 15, 2013
The CGI is certainly very impressive but overall The Polar Express is just rather dull. This certainly won’t join the list of Christmas movies I’ll dig out every year.
sil3nt_nickMar 27, 2013
A unique way of animating the story from the 1985 children's story, putting their own spin on some scenes.
WriteFilmLive21Dec 17, 2012
"The Polar Express" - Robert Zemeckis's first foray into motion-capture animated features - is a lovely and delightful holiday film, beautifully animated and packed to the seams with creativity, imagination, zaniness, and a truly wonderful"The Polar Express" - Robert Zemeckis's first foray into motion-capture animated features - is a lovely and delightful holiday film, beautifully animated and packed to the seams with creativity, imagination, zaniness, and a truly wonderful music score (although the main theme is played perhaps a tad too frequently). Some of the effects come off a bit dated now, since animation has advanced so quickly since then, but it is nonethless a great movie, and an easy must-watch around every Christmas time. Expand
heyitsmegrif4Jun 4, 2012
The Polar Express at times is visually dazzling. It has a nice and sweet message and moments of awe but the film lacks an extreme amount of fun. I give this movie 78%.
Jboy2468May 3, 2012
Let me start with a tip: Wait until Christmastime to watch this movie! The whole film is based on Christmas and the North Ple. The visuals are amazing and the characters act realistic. The story almost feels "random" at times, but has itsLet me start with a tip: Wait until Christmastime to watch this movie! The whole film is based on Christmas and the North Ple. The visuals are amazing and the characters act realistic. The story almost feels "random" at times, but has its great points. Great around Christmas, pointless before or after December! Expand
OscarOrNotMar 12, 2012
Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ZilcellNov 27, 2011
It is a Christmas classic that you will remember forever. The Polar Express stretches the true meaning of the season with an amazing story that you will never forget.
CRLAug 27, 2011
Exquisite animation brings the world of the beloved children's book to life, while a suitable script and excellent voice acting take care of the rest. Polar Express is great from beginning to end.
MovieLonely94Oct 27, 2010
The best christmas movie of the year. way to go, Robert Zemeckis. you were fantastic making this huge hit.
EvanP.Dec 11, 2009
This Movie successfully captures the wonder and magic of Christmas. I don't care if it promotes false truths. Most who hate this movie have forgotten what it was like to spend Christmas as a child and can therefore not connect with this This Movie successfully captures the wonder and magic of Christmas. I don't care if it promotes false truths. Most who hate this movie have forgotten what it was like to spend Christmas as a child and can therefore not connect with this movie. While it is simplistic in its plot and has excessively busy visuals, it doesn't take anything away from its spirit. My only complaint would have to be the elves that are introduced at the end of the film... Creepy. Expand
Whatwasthat?Dec 26, 2008
Bad, Bad, Bad! I agree with those that say, don't take kids. It was mean, ugly and hearltless, with a sicko message that hope is found in believing that a made up person will give you the material objects that your family can't. I Bad, Bad, Bad! I agree with those that say, don't take kids. It was mean, ugly and hearltless, with a sicko message that hope is found in believing that a made up person will give you the material objects that your family can't. I agree with Nancy. The cruel joke that the movie plays on the poor boy who is finally learning that his life is not a fairy tale and that he is poor and that that is OK as long as he accepts it. But no! the movie says he is wrong to be realistic and sensible. He should "believe" more in a lie that will stunt his emotional growth for a few more years and make him resent his poor family for not giving him big presents. So santa is "god" and material objects are the reason christmas exists. This movie insults all religions and spiritual orientations equally. But it is not just the message of greed and delusion that makes it bad, it is that it is randon and mean-spirited. Like so many readers noted, there was no story. The boy gets on, the train goes north, random unrelated things happen that make no sense and do not make you care at all about the people and then the train gets there, the boy gets a present, and then he comes home. So what happens next christmas? Does he go again? Does santa have to give him a bigger gift or he will think he got dissed? What if the boy went to meet Marilyn Manson and got a gift, would we all want him to "believe" in MM for the rest of his life. So when a kid loses his "believe" in the idea that he gets free things from a fictional character, we should all be sad for that person? Good christmas movies are about human values and choices and recognizing what is important. This movie was a creapy effort to sell a sick and harmful message. Expand
JohnDec 26, 2008
Horrible movie that looks great. It was soleless and boring. Why so dark? Why so random?What was the point. To literally believe in something that is not true? UUUggghhh!!!!
0 of 3 users found this helpful
ChadOJun 28, 2008
This movie is simply incredible. I loved everything about it, the characters, the storyline, the music. The thing I loved most of all was the incredible visuals. I would definently recommend this movie to anyone who has not seen it.
3 of 3 users found this helpful
[Anonymous]Feb 22, 2008
It is my favorite Christmas film next to National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. This is an amazing film. Yes it does have some overreacting when it comes to the girl's love for Christmas. Yes their eyes make them look like zombies. It is my favorite Christmas film next to National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. This is an amazing film. Yes it does have some overreacting when it comes to the girl's love for Christmas. Yes their eyes make them look like zombies. But it was great and it is for you Expand
EnaB.Dec 17, 2007
Wonderful. Magical. A Holidays classic.
8 of 8 users found this helpful
MattDec 17, 2007
I couldn't even watch the first 20 minutes. It was so bad. I quit watching after the part with the train over the frozen lake sliding part/finding the ticket. When were those parts ever in the book? The book was awesome. This movie is I couldn't even watch the first 20 minutes. It was so bad. I quit watching after the part with the train over the frozen lake sliding part/finding the ticket. When were those parts ever in the book? The book was awesome. This movie is nothing like the book. Not even close. I had a great childhood and I remember growing up as a kid I used to read the book with my parents. After watching this garbage movie it made me want to throw up. If you want to see a good film with excellent animation go and see the Incredibles or Monsters inc. Expand
JofTheMeltingNorthSep 18, 2007
Boring and strangely lifeless. What a bunch of poor techno-geeks imagine will blow people TOTALLY away ....kind of like a bunch of NASA scientists going into a collective swoon and near cardiac arrest because their Mars Land Rover has just Boring and strangely lifeless. What a bunch of poor techno-geeks imagine will blow people TOTALLY away ....kind of like a bunch of NASA scientists going into a collective swoon and near cardiac arrest because their Mars Land Rover has just fondled a chunk of Mars debris...sad! They could at least had a few drowning polar bears that Hanks scoops up at the last minute. Basically this film is little more than a "sampler" of special effects for Dreamworks (or whoever) to send around to potential clients as a catalogue of their Neat Special Effects. It's a Marketing tool about Marketing for the Market market. What could be more timely !! Expand
AdamL.Sep 11, 2007
Perfect in every way, except for the "cameo" appearance by Steve Tyler of Aerosmith. What was Zemeckis thinking?? That horrible misjudgment aside, this film is pure movie magic.
JessicaW.Dec 8, 2006
This movie has wonderful graphics, but that's about the only enjoyable part. When I went to see this, I was extremely dissapointed and it was torture sitting through the later half. The producers spent way to much time and money on the This movie has wonderful graphics, but that's about the only enjoyable part. When I went to see this, I was extremely dissapointed and it was torture sitting through the later half. The producers spent way to much time and money on the graphics and didn't focus on any other parts, The story-line--for me--was scattered and hard to follow, though you may find it otherwise. The characters were hard to relate to and emotionless. Some parts were even scary and not appropriate for small children. Pretty much the only happenings in this movie was that the little boy got on a train, went to the North Pole and came back. And that's the whole movie. Expand
BillyB.Dec 6, 2006
This movie is great for the whole family to watch with all aspects covered like laughter, heart-warming moments and even some action here and there.
JakeB.Aug 9, 2006
THE POLAR EXPRESS tells the story of a boy who's lost all faith in Santa, but, is thrusted into a magical world where "seeing is believing." Though it may take a few viewings, this film is some very good material. It took me a grand THE POLAR EXPRESS tells the story of a boy who's lost all faith in Santa, but, is thrusted into a magical world where "seeing is believing." Though it may take a few viewings, this film is some very good material. It took me a grand total of 3 times to truly absorb it all. It's not confusing... it's all just so... curious. A ghost bum on a train, show stopping musical numbers and possibly creepy animation ; how does all of this fit into the picture book narrative of Chris Van Allsburg's picture book? Don't ask me but in the hands of Zemeckis and Hanks it all seems to gel into an enthralling holiday experience. Overall: B+ Expand
MichaelF.Jul 6, 2006
the greatest job was done on the animation, being very realistic, and the sounds of the train being the most spectacular i ever witnessed in an animation. i enjoyed watching this film, and it is the best animation i have ever seen. it's the greatest job was done on the animation, being very realistic, and the sounds of the train being the most spectacular i ever witnessed in an animation. i enjoyed watching this film, and it is the best animation i have ever seen. it's a 10/10 well deserved. Expand
TomH.Mar 22, 2006
Exhilirating in its imagination & point-of-view through a child's eyes. Mesmerizing.
TonyB.Jan 1, 2006
This is a magical adventure that is the most beautiful film of its kind I've ever seen.
LorenJ.Dec 24, 2005
In our house, the movie completely captivated it's intended audience.
nickb.Dec 24, 2005
It made me cry cuz it didn't make any sense.
ANdrewDec 23, 2005
I don't know what the point of the movie was. Where is the story line, plot. I think story telling is a lost art.
F-XTDec 19, 2005
It could have been better for a child movie even more that it's a pretty short movie. I think that the wors where the animation that somtimes was not realistic.
alexl.Dec 18, 2005
That was cool.
WallyS.Dec 8, 2005
One of the best animated features of the past year, charming and visually stunning, one of the best Christmas movies ever made, it has majesty and overall grandness that reassures a grand aventure with the dazzling polar express.
PeterJ.Dec 8, 2005
Great family movie. Best Christmas movie I have seen possibly ever. My young children loved it, as did I.
JJFerreiraDec 4, 2005
The Polar Express is interesting in it's conception, creative in it's execution and charming in many small but meaningful ways. Others reviewers have zeroed in on the technical flaws and limitations of attempting to adequately The Polar Express is interesting in it's conception, creative in it's execution and charming in many small but meaningful ways. Others reviewers have zeroed in on the technical flaws and limitations of attempting to adequately capture human emotions in animation, especially in eyes. Technology can always be improved upon and, in time, those limitations that exist in this films will likely be overcome. Where Polar Express shines is in the ability to convey the simple yet oft-forsaken idea that wonder, belief, trust and friendship are compatable with adulthood and maturity. The idea that belief, not just in Sanata Claus or the North Pole or elves but in one another, in family and in friends is as vital an element in life as breathing, eating and sleeping. To dismiss this film as a technological wonder or a paean to childish dreams is to close one's mind to the deeper meaning found within the story. It isn't mindless feel-good entertainment nor is it ideologically-laden cinema art. It is a reminder that anyone with the desire can find hope and honesty if only they allow themselves to believe. In the grans scheme of things, perhaps that's not such a bad discovery to make, especially if one has grown jaded and cynical as they have aged. Expand
CaptainS.Nov 27, 2005
Good holiday film for all ages. The visuals were good and the acting very well done. The storyline seemed tied down to sliding, skiing, sleding, movement type actions which seemed a little old by the time we get to the North Pole however, Good holiday film for all ages. The visuals were good and the acting very well done. The storyline seemed tied down to sliding, skiing, sleding, movement type actions which seemed a little old by the time we get to the North Pole however, and the Steven Tyler elf at the end could've been eliminated all together IMO. Now to address the whole "creepiness" feel of the characters...the eyes are then window to the soul gang. Artists, work on it! Again, nice movie with some good stuff for everyone. And, BTW, all of you out there who looked at this movie and Santa as nothing but commercialism need to learn how to "believe" yourself. You miss the whole point of Santa Claus to begin with. Expand
MarkyMarkNov 26, 2005
I find reviewers' reaction to this film and their comments say a lot about the kind of person they probably are inside. After watching this amazing movie, I was glad to discover that I am an emotionally healthy and alive human being. I I find reviewers' reaction to this film and their comments say a lot about the kind of person they probably are inside. After watching this amazing movie, I was glad to discover that I am an emotionally healthy and alive human being. I am both the adult i am now and the 8 year old kid I was 46 years ago. I had tears running down my cheeks. Absolutely wonderful movie. Expand