7.1

1. May 8, 2011
    I wouldn't call this movie bad. But I would put this movie between average and good. Don't get me wrong, Disney did a good job remaking this movie but these kind of movies aren't really my type.
  2. EggyG
    Jan 28, 2010
    The story concept & setting are interesting....promising fresh approach & view to classic tale. BUT the execution and production value just terrible...below average animation, so-so voice talent, average music, boring dialog...really bring down the whole movie to amateurish quality. Just too bad.
  3. SamS
    Feb 28, 2010
    Not even close to the complexity and brilliance of many other recent Disney movies, such as "Up." Boring, predictable plot and ending. Extremely disappointing, especially for a huge Disney fan. Someone must have felt sorry for New Orleans and made a movie featuring the city.
  4. TinaC
    Jan 1, 2010
    A wonderful movie yet I thought it could have been much better. I agree with Judy T. there wasn't really a memorable song.
  5. ChrisC
    Feb 17, 2010
    This film receives 6 points for the animation alone, which was gorgeous. Unfortunately it doesn't merit much else. Throughout the entire 97-minute screening, there wasn't a single actual joke (it mostly relied on predictable slapstick), and not one particularly catchy or memorable theme tune. I desperately wanted to like it, I really did - but in the end, the writing was just This film receives 6 points for the animation alone, which was gorgeous. Unfortunately it doesn't merit much else. Throughout the entire 97-minute screening, there wasn't a single actual joke (it mostly relied on predictable slapstick), and not one particularly catchy or memorable theme tune. I desperately wanted to like it, I really did - but in the end, the writing was just bland and not up to par. Plus it all felt like it was over too soon. Hollow and run-of-the-mill. Now excuse me while I go and weep in sheer disappointment. Expand
  6. ChadS.
    Dec 11, 2009
    Written by Michael Hutchence and Andrew Farris, the chorus for the INXS song "Original Sin" goes like this: "Dream on, white boy/dream on, black girl/and wake up to a brand new day." What was once a provocative couplet back in 1983, now seems like a sentiment more befitting of a time capsule, since interracial relationships have long-gone been the stuff of controversy. With "The Princess Written by Michael Hutchence and Andrew Farris, the chorus for the INXS song "Original Sin" goes like this: "Dream on, white boy/dream on, black girl/and wake up to a brand new day." What was once a provocative couplet back in 1983, now seems like a sentiment more befitting of a time capsule, since interracial relationships have long-gone been the stuff of controversy. With "The Princess and the Frog", Disney tries to be progressive, but is only half-successful in its introduction of a black princess; to be truly progressive, the prince should have been white. Tiana's skin color seems beside the point when she's standing next to the olive-complexioned Naveen, and needless to say, even less so as one of two frogs. Charlotte signifies Tiana, a juxtaposition worth the price of admission, for she's the starting point behind the notion of intergrating a minority princess among the genre's white predecessors. The hegemonic shift in narrative, the whole point of "The Princess and the Frog", take place the moment when the camera leaves the room where Charlotte and her father converse excitedly, and follows the seamstress(Eudora) and her daughter treading down a dark hallway, away from the normative foci. That's a good start. Too bad Tiana spends most of the film's running time masquerading as a cute animal. Almost by default, Tiana gets the faerie tale ending, because pairing the traditional princess-type with an exotic prince would have been equally problematic in the Disney universe. When push comes to shove, the hegemonic shift is delayed a bit, after Charlotte conveniently kisses Naveen too late, in which the machinations of tradition stops progress from happening. "The Princess and the Frog" doesn't quite have the swing of modern romance. Expand
  7. JustinC.
    Nov 25, 2009
    This cheeky update of a classic fairy tale boasts almost as many talking points as merchandising opportunities.
  8. Sentinel
    Nov 26, 2009
    Far to pointless if you ask me. Disney, get a grip !
  9. M.D.
    Nov 26, 2009
    It's not easy being green. But to judge from how this hand-drawn movie addresses, or rather strenuously avoids, race, it is a lot more difficult to be black.
  10. JudyT.
    Dec 14, 2009
    Not one memorable song. Too bad for a Disney Movie.
  11. Mar 25, 2011
    For what it is (a typical, old-school Disney cartoon), it is not that bad. However, Disney films are not just intended for children - or are they? Even worse so if they are. They feed into misconceptions ideas about life and love, making our children believe in the fairytale love story. Yes, that might be nice when you are a kid, but it is rather misleading. For crying out loud, what thisFor what it is (a typical, old-school Disney cartoon), it is not that bad. However, Disney films are not just intended for children - or are they? Even worse so if they are. They feed into misconceptions ideas about life and love, making our children believe in the fairytale love story. Yes, that might be nice when you are a kid, but it is rather misleading. For crying out loud, what this film comes down to is that if you find true love you will live happily-ever-after. Granted, most animated films are like that (even Pixar's to an extent), but they usually have some sort of important message ingrained in the storyline or the dialogue. Princess and the Frog does not have that, at all. That all being said, it does have some very nice, "classic Disney" animation, which is really nice to see again, and has a very good score with cute songs that work rather well. It is not an instant classic, that is for sure, but with fewer and fewer "classic animated" films coming out, I am sure it will join the ranks of "Anastasia" and "Mulan" but is far away from the glory that "Beauty and the Beast," "Aladdin" or "The Lion King" are. Expand
  12. Sep 28, 2010
    The previews of The Princess of The Frog indirectly promised a second coming of their famous two-dimensional musicals; Movies such as Lion King or Aladdin, that have been cherished in the hearts of adults and children alike. With this promise, Princess had big shoes to fill. But unfortunately, Disney's newest film is wearing a size too small, and those shoes aren't comfortable at all.The previews of The Princess of The Frog indirectly promised a second coming of their famous two-dimensional musicals; Movies such as Lion King or Aladdin, that have been cherished in the hearts of adults and children alike. With this promise, Princess had big shoes to fill. But unfortunately, Disney's newest film is wearing a size too small, and those shoes aren't comfortable at all.

This altered story of the The Frog Prince is a film that tries way too hard to be like its predecessors. From the cliche moments, to the happily-ever-after ending (SPOILER), it's exactly like the old Disney animated movies. While these elements aren't necessarily bad, the movie just doesn't execute them well. The characters do not connect to the audience at all, there is no emotional-reality to them in any way whatsoever. In addition, the story and the plot are way too weak to be considered a "childhood" classic. The only aspect that I believe the movie excels in is the Disney soundtrack that fits well into this "magical kingdom." But even this redeeming aspect is flawed due to the excess of songs that the movie spurs out. In the end, its slow pace and lack of humor are just too hard to overlook.

Although I can be considered too old to watch animated movies and appreciate them, I find that to the contrary. Movies like Up and Ratatouille possess the ability to inspire all ages, no matter the target audience. But Princess And The Frog fails to do so; With the flat characters and a plot that leaves me to question, "Is it over yet?"
  13. Apr 24, 2011
    Overall This Movie Is Not The Worst Or The Best.. I Would Have Liked To See More Classic Stuff In This, But You Cant Please Everyone... The Voices Were Meh... Great Writing That Makes Up For The Voices... Overall It's A 6..
  14. Oct 17, 2013
    "The Princess and the Frog" wanted to be greatest come-back but It's wannabe. Old way that it was useful in 90's but in 2000's not. Tiana is too politcally correct, she has too virtue and no imperfection. Then, Tiana has no feedback. I'm sorry, I tried to love this film but I can't it.
  15. Jul 14, 2015
    I liked this movie...but I didn't LOVE it as much as everybody else did...and I do have my own reasons.

Disney's 'The Princess and the Frog' follows the story of a young woman named Tiana, who, ever since she was a child, wanted to open her own restaurant after the legacy was left from her father (dead parents in a Disney film huh). While she tries to live her dream, a handsome prince named Naveen is attending Now Orleans but runs into Facilier, the main villain of the movie who performs voodoo and transforms Naveen into a frog.

To get rid of the curse, Naveen must kiss a princess, when he runs into Tiana, the ironic thing is, when she kisses him, she turns into a frog as well. Their journey and the movie takes place with them being frogs.

I assume the reason everybody loves this movie is because it is 2D animated, and yes, it does look wonderful, it has that "old-school" Disney feel to it. Plus, an introduction to an African-American princess is also reassuring. The only problem I have with this movie in terms of the fact that it is not on par with 'Beauty and the Beast' (1991) or 'The Lion King' (1994) is that the characters I thought were very thinly written. Tiana isn't that much fun, I know she is supposed to be a career-driven woman, but she isn't as plucky as previous princesses. Naveen also isn't much fun either, he delivers comedy, but isn't memorable.

The songs by Randy Newman are mostly misses too, I don't remember them being that good, his best song is "When she loved me" from 'Toy Story 2' (1999).

The film is directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, who gave us other Disney films such as; 'The Little Mermaid' (1989), 'Aladdin' (1992) and 'Hercules' (1997). These films, while classics, also had trouble with memorable characters.

'The Little Mermaid' had sing-a-long songs, whimsical side characters and beautiful animation, but Ariel's love interest, Eric, was a good-looking man, but there's not much else interesting about him.

'Aladdin' had Robin Williams as the Genie, delivering all the comedy, but the main couple Aladdin and Jasmine looked more like brother and sister, and there wasn't much development with their love.

Despite all of this, these two films are still great, every film has their few flaws.

'Hercules' I remember I didn't particularly like, I don't hate it, but the songs were great and James Woods was fantastic, but the movie didn't live up to my standards unfortunately.

Overall, I give 'The Princess and the Frog' a 6/10 for the stunning 2D animation and the racial diversity in the "Disney Princess" line-up. But the songs are disappointing and the film itself with the characters are thinly written. Even after this film, 'Tangled' (2010) and 'Frozen' (2013) were improvements, but not because they were animated in 3D, they had their own ways of being unforgettable Disney films.

1. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
  2. What matters is that Tiana triumphs as both a girl and a frog, that dreams are fulfilled, wrongs are righted, love prevails, and music unites not only a princess and a frog but also kids and grown-ups.
  3. Part of the problem with "P&F" is that Tiana and Naveen's connection feels superficial.