8.2

1. Sep 15, 2014
    This is a fairy tail made as much for adults as for kids. The movie is a rare gem crafted with love, care and humor. It is a heart warming movie you can and will watch over and over again. It is based on a book with the same name and it is a rarely occasion were a film adaptation is really awesome (Most adaptation are awful). The cast and the story is just wonderful. This ia a must seen classic movie. Expand
  2. Jul 6, 2014
    The Princess Bride was originally a book written by William Goldman in 1973 and he turned it into a screenplay 10 years later. The movie, like the book is a classical story of true love, overcoming all the odds to find happiness, and it also happens to be one of the rare cases where the movie is as good as the book.

One of the things that makes this movie so great is the unique way that
    the story is told. All too often when a book is created into a movie it is just a retelling of the book without its own twist on the story or way to make it more than a retelling, and more often than not if a movie adds its own twist it completely ruins the story. The Princess Bride is an exception to that rule, the whole premise for the movie is a sick young boy, played by Fred Savage, and his grandfather, played by Peter Falk, gives him The Princess Bride for a present and starts to read it to him. This inventive way to tell the story allowed the writers to go from scenes from the book back to the grandson’s bedroom, adding humor and creating suspense. This combined with the fact that because the writer of the screenplay and the book was the same person, which helped keep the movie’s storyline very close to the book’s storyline, makes this movie better than any other movie I’ve seen that was based on a book.

Another thing that makes it such a good movie is it’s diversity in it’s themes. It’s largest theme that encompasses the whole is that true love conquers all. Now that is a theme that, although may not always be true in real life, we all love because it makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Another theme that it has is that the evil people in the world get what they deserve. This is another very watchable theme, who doesn’t like seeing the good guys win? The two very inspiring and heart-warming themes can make the audience get emotionally involved with the character in the movie. I found myself rooting for character and hoping that others died.

The final thing that makes this movie so incredible is the way they build the characters. The characters in the movie are not just cookie cutter characters. They all have a good and a bad side that is built up throughout the movie by their interaction with other characters. Even the hero of the story has a bad side, he cheats to win a battle of wits. The dynamics of the characters really add to the story.

Overall, The Princess Bride is an incredibly well done movie with great actors to play dynamic characters, touching themes, and a very unique way to tell the story. It is a must see for all of those who haven’t seen it and a movie you will want to watch again. If you don’t believe me or if you think it will be boring I leave you this quote from the movie. “Are you kidding? Its got fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles.”
  3. Apr 4, 2014
    Why would someone watch this movie?

"Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...", and quite frankly one of the funniest movies I have ever scene. It is a fairy tale meant for children but enjoyed by countless adults. It's often considered one of the most quotable movies of ALL TIME(just search it).
    At its core it's a romantic
    comedy, but when I first watched this movie I related to the sick grandson(and I hated it when MY grandpa pinched MY cheeks!) who hated the kissing scenes. In the end I came away with one of my favorite movies of all time. Expand
  4. Dec 31, 2013
    It is amazing how you can take the feel the same way as the kid. The first time you watch this movie, it will be unwillingly and thinking that this will be really stupid. It doesn't take long to get engrossed and the story and want to see what will eventually happen to Humperdink. It's funny, it's enjoyable, I know every single line and can quote it from almost any point in the in the movie.

It is one of those movies that you turn to see when it is on television, and decide that you want to watch just till this one scene. But then you decide to watch the next scene coming up, and soon you've watch the entire movie for the 20th time.
  5. T0G
    Dec 14, 2013
    This is one of the very few videos that I will watch again and again. It takes the mickey out of fantasy adventures without distracting the audience from the enjoyable storyline. A brilliant adaptation of William Goldman's book.
  6. Nov 30, 2013
    This is a classic. It has cheesy scenes, especially a lot, but that has nothing to change against this movie. It has one of the best stories ever. It even goes on a different approach to what I was expecting as well. But I'm just lightly going over it. It just warms my heart when I see this movie.
  7. Jul 14, 2013
    One of the best fantasy adventure movies ever made. There is very little wrong with this film with the acting being great and the story and direction is just as good.
  8. Jan 3, 2013
    This is one of my favourite movies of all time. This is the way a fairytale should be done, the storytelling is done well. After seeing the Hobbit: An unexpected Journey the other day, I think Peter Jackson needs to sit down and watch this movie to see what a fantasy film aimed at children should be like. The characters are witty and memorable because they actually all have distinct personalities. The pacing is great. There are many funny scenes in the movie. Even as an adult I really enjoy this movie. 10/10 Expand
  9. Sep 30, 2012
    So why do I love this film so much? Well, for me it has everything; pirates, a giant, great swordplay, a damsel in distress, an evil bad guy, revenge, an awful lot of humour and not least a happy ending. There is quite a modern feel to it all but with the traditional values of chivalry along with a little dastardly play. Of course, some magic; how could you have a fairytale without magic? But over all, I love it because it doesn Collapse
  10. May 19, 2012
    A very competent and entertaining movie. Wonderful characters, engaging plot, and excellent acting. This film is a rare gem, an actually good film based on a book. Brilliant.
  11. Sep 7, 2011
    My fifth favorite movie of all time. It's got everything: romance, comedy, action, fantasy...There are some great laughs and oodles of memorable quotes. The only person who was less than perfect in this movie was the actress who played Buttercup. Other than that, an absolute classic.
  12. Aug 21, 2011
    I didn't even know this was based on a book! Anyway, it's an instant classic. Everybody and everything here is hilarious--especially Billy Crystal. I don't see how anyone can hate on THE PRINCESS BRIDE.
  13. May 30, 2011
    This is hands down my favorite movie of all time!!! I loved it as a kid and still haven't found a movie I'd rather watch more than this one, It puts a big smile on my face and warms my heart
  14. Feb 18, 2011
    One of the best adventure movies ever made. The only thing that I can complain about is the slow pace it occasionally has. Also, sometimes the jokes seem cheeky, but there are enough good ones to keep the moving going. Overall a great film.
  15. Dec 13, 2010
    One of the most underrated movies of all time. So many great lines and scenes, hilarious but also filled with great action. Wonderful characters. Even though the "stars" are Cary Elwes and Robin Wright, it is the supporting cast that makes this movie so enjoyable. Andre the Giant is super in his "goon squad" role as Fezzig. Wallace Shawn as Vizzini is "inconceivably" funny. His mental duel with The Dread Pirate Roberts is classic. Mandy Patikin and his quest for the Man with the Six Fingers blends in throughout; his duel with Westley is one of the best sword fights I have seen in movie history. Then there are the quick cameos of Billy Crystal and Carol Kane as the Miracle Man and his wife - another great scene. Intermixing all of this is that the story is really being "read" by Peter Falk to his sick grandson, played by Fred Savage right before he started his Wonder Years period. Expand

1. A percolating comedy. The laughs may not tear your belly up, but they're constant and they dovetail with the story.
    The Princess Bride wants to be sweet and warm, but it doesn't want to take the chance of seeming uncool -- and that is an attitude far, far removed from innocence. [9 Oct 1987]
  3. Not even the crude ethnic humor--Billy Crystal's Mel Brooks-ish Miracle Max--pricks the dream bubble, and the spirited cast has a field day.