8.5

1. May 19, 2012
    A very competent and entertaining movie. Wonderful characters, engaging plot, and excellent acting. This film is a rare gem, an actually good film based on a book. Brilliant.
  2. May 30, 2011
    This is hands down my favorite movie of all time!!! I loved it as a kid and still haven't found a movie I'd rather watch more than this one, It puts a big smile on my face and warms my heart
  3. jond.
    May 6, 2005
    One of the best movies ever!
  4. DanC.
    Feb 7, 2004
    Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You kill my father. Prepare to die... So friggin' hilarious!!!
  5. James
    Jul 16, 2004
    This is such a great film. Brilliantly cast and full of comedy and romance with some truly memorable lines. What more could you want?
  6. MontoyaS.
    Jul 10, 2004
    Tastae. screeching eels are da best.
  7. LauraL.
    Sep 12, 2005
    I have seen this movie a thousand times and each time I watch it my laughter becomes more intense. This movie surpasses all "love stories" and should be a must-have in every household (whether you have little girls in the house or not).
  8. CodyC
    Apr 16, 2007
    This is the best fantasy movie I ever saw, the fire swamp was amazing!!!
  9. PaulB.
    Jan 2, 2006
    One of my family's all-time favorites! New ideas every time we watch it.
  10. QBeing
    Nov 20, 2002
    One of my all time favorite films. Each time I see it I find some nuance that I missed the last time around and end up on the floor belly laughing. I even danced to the theme at my wedding!
  11. AndrewY.
    Feb 27, 2003
    This is one of my all time favorite movies!
  12. MichelleP.
    Mar 2, 2003
    Excellent.
  13. patrickD.
    Aug 26, 2005
    A few flaws, but truly underrated by the critics. A GREAT film.
  14. GerrickC.
    Apr 24, 2006
    I was surprised at the quality of this movie when I first saw it. What we have here is a fantasy story with all of our favorite characters from other stories like fair maidens, brave swordsmen, a giant, and a short little man with an annoying voice. I would have to say the thing that drew me closer to this movie was the fact that Andre the Giant was on it. Still the movie holds it's I was surprised at the quality of this movie when I first saw it. What we have here is a fantasy story with all of our favorite characters from other stories like fair maidens, brave swordsmen, a giant, and a short little man with an annoying voice. I would have to say the thing that drew me closer to this movie was the fact that Andre the Giant was on it. Still the movie holds it's own weight very well. Expand
  15. SimonD.
    Jun 26, 2003
    Simply put, one of the greqt films of the 80s. Touching, well-acted, funny, a bit unpredictable, and set in a world unlike any we see in movies now. A deservedly well-loved film.
  16. JennelO.
    Apr 15, 2004
    I really liked this movie.
  17. RobM.
    May 27, 2004
    This is a warm movie and a cast of keen characters. A clean show with as much excitement needed to keep one's attention captured. This movie has turned out to be a great classic.
  18. JaredB.
    Nov 25, 2007
    I remember watching this movie when I was about 8 years old. I will never forget sitting in front of the T.V. and doing nothing but laugh till it hurt. The reason I will never forget this is because I still do. From the beginning, all the way until the end, I found this to be an absolute laugh riot. I enjoyed the entire cast. But, the performances that stood out in my mind were those of I remember watching this movie when I was about 8 years old. I will never forget sitting in front of the T.V. and doing nothing but laugh till it hurt. The reason I will never forget this is because I still do. From the beginning, all the way until the end, I found this to be an absolute laugh riot. I enjoyed the entire cast. But, the performances that stood out in my mind were those of Billy Crystal and Carol Kane as Miracle Max and his wife, whose name I have totally forgotten. The way this film mixes rousing action with sidesplitting comedy is nothing short of amazing. Watch for a pre- Forrest Gump Robin Wright as Princess Buttercup. Now, THIS is how fantasy adventure-comedies should be made. Expand
  19. Feb 18, 2011
    One of the best adventure movies ever made. The only thing that I can complain about is the slow pace it occasionally has. Also, sometimes the jokes seem cheeky, but there are enough good ones to keep the moving going. Overall a great film.
  20. Sep 30, 2012
    So why do I love this film so much? Well, for me it has everything; pirates, a giant, great swordplay, a damsel in distress, an evil bad guy, revenge, an awful lot of humour and not least a happy ending. There is quite a modern feel to it all but with the traditional values of chivalry along with a little dastardly play. Of course, some magic; how could you have a fairytale without magic?So why do I love this film so much? Well, for me it has everything; pirates, a giant, great swordplay, a damsel in distress, an evil bad guy, revenge, an awful lot of humour and not least a happy ending. There is quite a modern feel to it all but with the traditional values of chivalry along with a little dastardly play. Of course, some magic; how could you have a fairytale without magic? But over all, I love it because it doesn Collapse
  21. Dec 13, 2010
    One of the most underrated movies of all time. So many great lines and scenes, hilarious but also filled with great action. Wonderful characters. Even though the "stars" are Cary Elwes and Robin Wright, it is the supporting cast that makes this movie so enjoyable. Andre the Giant is super in his "goon squad" role as Fezzig. Wallace Shawn as Vizzini is "inconceivably" funny. HisOne of the most underrated movies of all time. So many great lines and scenes, hilarious but also filled with great action. Wonderful characters. Even though the "stars" are Cary Elwes and Robin Wright, it is the supporting cast that makes this movie so enjoyable. Andre the Giant is super in his "goon squad" role as Fezzig. Wallace Shawn as Vizzini is "inconceivably" funny. His mental duel with The Dread Pirate Roberts is classic. Mandy Patikin and his quest for the Man with the Six Fingers blends in throughout; his duel with Westley is one of the best sword fights I have seen in movie history. Then there are the quick cameos of Billy Crystal and Carol Kane as the Miracle Man and his wife - another great scene. Intermixing all of this is that the story is really being "read" by Peter Falk to his sick grandson, played by Fred Savage right before he started his Wonder Years period. Expand
  22. Jan 15, 2011
    An unexpected good comedy. I didn't know what to expect when starting watch it, but i like it imitatively. Very good directed and the acts where played well. It is worth to watch it.
  23. Aug 21, 2011
    I didn't even know this was based on a book! Anyway, it's an instant classic. Everybody and everything here is hilarious--especially Billy Crystal. I don't see how anyone can hate on THE PRINCESS BRIDE.
  24. Sep 7, 2011
    My fifth favorite movie of all time. It's got everything: romance, comedy, action, fantasy...There are some great laughs and oodles of memorable quotes. The only person who was less than perfect in this movie was the actress who played Buttercup. Other than that, an absolute classic.
  25. Apr 4, 2014
    Why would someone watch this movie?

"Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...", and quite frankly one of the funniest movies I have ever scene. It is a fairy tale meant for children but enjoyed by countless adults. It's often considered one of the most quotable movies of ALL TIME(just search it). At its core it's a romantic
    Why would someone watch this movie?

At its core it's a romantic comedy, but when I first watched this movie I related to the sick grandson(and I hated it when MY grandpa pinched MY cheeks!) who hated the kissing scenes. In the end I came away with one of my favorite movies of all time.
  26. Nov 28, 2012
    Sardonic, heartwarming, and just entertaining overall, "The Princess Bride" in the end soars past all expectations.
  27. Jan 3, 2013
    This is one of my favourite movies of all time. This is the way a fairytale should be done, the storytelling is done well. After seeing the Hobbit: An unexpected Journey the other day, I think Peter Jackson needs to sit down and watch this movie to see what a fantasy film aimed at children should be like. The characters are witty and memorable because they actually all have distinctThis is one of my favourite movies of all time. This is the way a fairytale should be done, the storytelling is done well. After seeing the Hobbit: An unexpected Journey the other day, I think Peter Jackson needs to sit down and watch this movie to see what a fantasy film aimed at children should be like. The characters are witty and memorable because they actually all have distinct personalities. The pacing is great. There are many funny scenes in the movie. Even as an adult I really enjoy this movie. 10/10 Expand
  28. Jan 18, 2013
    An interesting take on the age-old damsel-in-distress story. A clever combination of fairy tale romance, witty humor, and swashbuckling. Just downright entertaining.
  29. Jul 14, 2013
    One of the best fantasy adventure movies ever made. There is very little wrong with this film with the acting being great and the story and direction is just as good.
  30. Mar 24, 2013
    With modern technology, this film would have been even better. The acting is wonderful and the film is by far better than the book.

1. A percolating comedy. The laughs may not tear your belly up, but they're constant and they dovetail with the story.
  2. Chicago Tribune
    Reviewed by: Dave Kehr
    The Princess Bride wants to be sweet and warm, but it doesn't want to take the chance of seeming uncool -- and that is an attitude far, far removed from innocence. [9 Oct 1987]
  3. Not even the crude ethnic humor--Billy Crystal's Mel Brooks-ish Miracle Max--pricks the dream bubble, and the spirited cast has a field day.