Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: June 19, 2009
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 169 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
MichaelDApr 29, 2010
I think Sandra Bullocks performance was okay.But everybody loves Sandra Bullock. Ryan's performance was okay 2.But you got 2 give Betty Whites performance was brilliant ever hands down.Everybody who was in this movie was okay.
ChristineS.Jun 19, 2009
The comedy was good, but the romance wasn't developed enough. I didn't believe it at the end when Andrew said he went from loathing to loving in three days. Yeah Right!
mauriciol.Oct 17, 2009
Well , it took me a while to see it, my mom recomened it , and well it was kind of slow, it was entertaining but i really expected a little more.
EnzoP.Jul 18, 2009
The Proposal starring Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock is a laugh out loud romantic comedy. In this love story Margaret (Sandra Bullock) plays a tough bad ass boss of Andrew (Ryan Reynolds). When Margaret discovered that she was getting The Proposal starring Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock is a laugh out loud romantic comedy. In this love story Margaret (Sandra Bullock) plays a tough bad ass boss of Andrew (Ryan Reynolds). When Margaret discovered that she was getting deported because she didn't fill out all of the papers that made go to the U.S,A. (She was originally from Canada). So she tells everyone that she is going to marry Andrew because he was originated from the United States. Andrew refused but Margaret made an offer he couldn't refuse. Now you are probably wondering what would of happened if she didn't make this big fat lie. Well, your question is that she would have to go back to Canada for one year to fill out the rest of the paperwork. When I was watching this movie I felt like Bullock and Reynolds had a very good connection they played very well with each other they brought a huge sparkle to the movie. The ending in the movie was not what I hoped for you knew the ending ever since you saw the first ten minutes. Although it made me laugh and I had a great time watching so I give it a 6. Expand
kgmJun 25, 2009
I
PaulaBJun 27, 2009
Mildly entertaining.
grandpajoe6191Oct 17, 2011
"The Proposal" is total rubbish; it creates its own problems by connecting them to the plot. But nevertheless, if you like Ryan Reynolds getting his butt owned by Sandra Bullock, by all means, go ahead and enjoy...
ZilcellMar 2, 2012
The Proposal is predictable, you know what will happen. Despite this, there is some funny moments and a great cast. There is great charisma between Reynolds and Bullock.
Trev29May 24, 2014
While the actors are enjoyable, the characters are pretty flat. There is nothing remotely unique about this film, but most of it is just harmless entertainment that works for the most part.
worleyjamersFeb 24, 2013
Completely ridiculous story line, but completely entertaining nonetheless. Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds have great chemistry together, and Betty White is hilarious!
TDKinDallasAug 9, 2009
Had some really funny moments, but that's it. Incredibly stupid plot, stupendously unbelievable, cookie cutter rom com.
SteveSJul 31, 2009
My girlfriend liked the movie. I enjoyed her positive reaction, because she's a lot more fun when she's happy. However, I did not really like the movie. My main enjoyment of the movie was congratulating myself every time I My girlfriend liked the movie. I enjoyed her positive reaction, because she's a lot more fun when she's happy. However, I did not really like the movie. My main enjoyment of the movie was congratulating myself every time I correctly guessed a plot twist -- which happened a lot. I like Sandra Bullock a lot, but I sure don't care much for her choice of material. Expand
DarkCriticAug 27, 2010
This movie wasn't that good! I didn't like Sandra Bullock's role in the movie,she does the same s*** in her previous bad films. The only coolest character in the movie is Ryan Reynolds and Betty White as the funny grandma,that's it! TheyThis movie wasn't that good! I didn't like Sandra Bullock's role in the movie,she does the same s*** in her previous bad films. The only coolest character in the movie is Ryan Reynolds and Betty White as the funny grandma,that's it! They shouldn't put Betty White as the funny grandma instead wathcing this crap of rom-com film with these two stupid couples! But to be fair,this movie turns people into watching this movie into guity-pleasure. But come one,it's just a stupid rom-com film and I don't think wasnt too great! Expand
seiferJun 16, 2011
This film was...hmmmm... Interesting, I did not see much purpose so it hasn't groen on me as a good film, but I can say that it could have been worse!
jimmytancrediMay 29, 2011
The proposal is a good recipe for romantic comedy, there is no big novelties, but there are peculiarities in this very funny and interesting movie! Although I am not fan of Bullock, she's a good actress! I havenâ
A_NorthernerNov 11, 2012
Why did I watch it?
Mrs Northerner suggested we watch this as it was on TV while we were away. I think this may be at least strike #2 for her being allowed to suggest films to watch.
What's it all about? Ok, Sandra Bullock is the ****
Why did I watch it?

What's it all about?
Ok, Sandra Bullock is the **** editor-in-chief and Ryan Reynolds is her personal assistant. Bullock's visa (she's Canadian) expires and in order to protect her job she reveals to her employers that her and Reynolds are engaged and soon to be married. Obviously they aren't but Reynolds reluctantly agrees providing he is made editor and his book is published. Cue fun and games as Bullock meets Reynolds family and the couple try to avoid prison by tricking an inquisitive immigration agent.

Should you watch it?

The happy couple
It was sadly predictable how predictable the plot turned out to be. I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that spoiler alert they don't get on, then get on, then fall out at the last minute before making up. The only unknown is knowing how close to the end the last minute falling out occurs. I've had more unpredictable trips to the bathroom.

Despite the plot, Reynolds and Bullock do have a genuine chemistry, are capable comedic performers and turn in decent performances within the constrains of the plot. The script's immense sarcasm and the pair's forced affection for each other, despite their contempt, can actually be pretty funny to watch.
dev92Aug 25, 2012
A normal romantic-comedy, The Proposal has a few laughs but tends to struggle for the most part, relying on the talents of Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds to carry this film through. It is fine as a date movie but nothing more.
ChadS.Jun 19, 2009
[***SELF-POLICING SPOILER ALERT***] Struggling writers shouldn't detest "The Testing of Luther Albright" because its author is fabulously wealthy and well-connected, they should detest MacKenzie Bezos because her 2005 debut was a [***SELF-POLICING SPOILER ALERT***] Struggling writers shouldn't detest "The Testing of Luther Albright" because its author is fabulously wealthy and well-connected, they should detest MacKenzie Bezos because her 2005 debut was a literary triumph. In "The Proposal", Margaret Tate(Sandra Bullock), a Miranda Preistly-like book editor, evokes the double standard about female bosses in this sort of "The Devil Reads Don DeLillo", when "it"(as she's described by her employees) torments her assistant Andrew Paxton(Ryan Reynolds), and the staff this workaholic oversees at a New York publishing house. But Andrew isn't unformed as Andy Sachs(Anne Hathaway) was in the film based on Lauren Weisenberg's chick-lit sensation: he's not just an aspiring writer; he's also the son of a small town scion who puts Margaret in her place when the narrative moves to Alaska. Where once their relationship was symbiotic(she gets her work permit; he gets perks), now Margaret loses all her agency and gets reduced into another hopeless romantic; a woman who needs a man to help her attain true happiness. Surrounded by philistines, Margaret's intellectual elitism(she's never played a video game; she's never seen YouTube) is neutralized, since brains can't begin to compete with monetary wealth in our post-literate world. At a strip bar, the tables are turned, in a key scene, when the local Alaskans(the groom's family) whom Margaret can barely tolerate, allows a male stripper to have his way with her. She's humiliated. Books have no cultural currency in Andrew's neck of the woods. That's why he left Alaska, in spite of the family fortune. He sacrificed a lot to follow his muse. That's why it's hard to believe the happy ending after Andrew discovers the truth about his unpublished novel. It's hard to root for careerism. Expand
LynnBNov 1, 2009
Had couple of funny moments, which is the least expected from any comedy film. Other than that, it was more or less boring and very predictable. Not one of the worst comedies, just a disappointingly below average one.