5.2

1. Sep 8, 2014
    A very cool concept that was not executed well at all. This movie could have been really good but was not set up well and was not interesting at all. I was looking forward to seeing this one even though I have heard a lot of bad things about it, and I was very disappointed with it. Very boring with not very good acting makes this a very poor movie.
  2. Sep 7, 2014
    One of the worst movie i've seen. Bad acting and character does not know the difference between right and wrong, putting stranger's life before all of their member.Only Ethan Hawk makes the right decision.
  3. Sep 2, 2014
    While it has an intriguing premise, and it's an overall suspenseful and enjoyable movie, "The Purge" is loaded with plot holes, inconsistencies, bad acting, shaky cam, and stupid characters. If you can look past all its flaws, I would recommend it.
  4. Aug 25, 2014
    I give this movie a 4 only because of the originality and so it's sort of worth watching, other than that it's terrible anyone saying otherwise was clearly high while watching. The film has SO many cliche and stupid moments that leave you face palming so hard. I predicted almost every single moment in this film because of how unoriginal it was. To leave spoilers to a minimum let's just say that the characters have a decision where it's either this happens or this and this happens and even though this occurs in both scenarios the characters still have a hard time deciding what to do. And 1 character who keeps screwing everything up and just being an annoyance. When the credits rolled I felt that this amazing idea had just been ruined entirely because they either couldn't think of anything better or because they were plain lazy. Also you could mistake this movie for ANY other movie as it has NOTHING to do with the purge, the only resemblance it has is the beginning and end. I hope anarchy proves better than this... Expand
  5. Aug 13, 2014
    This was quite possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It wasn't even so bad it was funny. It was just flat out aggravatingly terrible. The premise was interesting, but that's all I can really say good about this movie. The entire reason the events of the movie took place was because of the fact the father left access to the security system out in the open where anyone in the house could access it, and everyone in the family knew the code. It only gets worse from there, as the family had multiple chances to prevent things from escalating further, but made the dumbest decisions every time. One of the most unforgivable parts was when they were finally ready to solve the issue, and then the female characters who were otherwise fine with solving it suddenly broke down and said they shouldn't go through with it because it would make them terrible people. This is in spite of the fact they were being threatened with their lives by the very man who they were suddenly not so sure about handing over. And just then, they decided not to hand the guy over after all and instead face all the purgers outside instead. Not to mention finally in the end not all of the purgers were killed after the purge period ended, and considering all the damage the family did to them, those purgers will just be back again the next time but infinitely less merciful. And all because the family decided to show them mercy. They are quite possibly the dumbest family in existence and the plot was one of the most legitimately aggravating things I've ever experienced. Please, if you were considering watching this, reconsider. Expand
  6. Aug 1, 2014
    The background isn't credible for adult viewers. Anarchy and fear, even contemporary, can't boost economic growth, nor would criminals choose mostly poor targets under these circumstances. Indeed, the director seems to only try to present the wealthier people as violent and unsympathetic villains and poor and young people as more competent individuals. This kind of plot is all but original.

Acting and surroundings weren't that bad, but one could easily predict which characters were to survive (i.e. every female). Furthermore, extra minus one point for including a horny boy friend just to get killed. Respective cliche is just too common...
  7. Jul 28, 2014
    It's a pity such an interesting idea was wasted on making a home-invasion horror flick. The genre is not the problem, though. It's how its creator decides to present his film. He wants a profitable horror film that follows cliches and aims at horror film audiences alone. He wants nothing more than violence and scare jumps. It is a pity this premise is not exploited at all. It feels like every single remark on social issues is a matter of luck. A great disappointment when you have been captivated by Universal's intriguing marketing campaign, but shows potential that can be fulfilled in sequel films. Expand
  8. Jul 25, 2014
    Gets one point for having a plot. The Purge is full of contradictions and horrendous moments that involve much stupidity that cannot be taken seriously. The film isn't scary, neither is it enjoyable...do not purchase this film, find some other way to watch it, such as cable or streaming. How a sequel was planned and eventually released boggles my mind.
  9. Jul 23, 2014
    I cannot believe how disappointing this movie was, I was hoping for a tense horror flick with an interesting premise. It wasn't, it was just one jump scare after another and they were all extremely predictable and cheap. By the 4th jump scare I knew it was coming so I took off my headphones and waited 3 seconds and it came. All the horror movie cliches are there and the victims are incredibly stupid. Stay away from this one and hope that the sequel is better. Although the idea of The Purge is cool the movie itself falls flat on its face.

P.S. The villain in the movie was boring and the ending 'twist' makes no sense and is just there for some more cheap scares.
  10. Jul 9, 2014
    Watch this movie. Watch this movie if you like the feeling of anger pulsing through your bloodstream because you gave Ethan Hawke another chance. Because you thought the plot sounded cool, because you wanted to see rich people die.
    If not, leave this one alone, because it is one of the most infuriating movies I have ever had the opportunity to see.
    I wish there was an annual "purge"
    (like that fairy tale BS would fly in any country) so that I could legally execute the talented individuals who brought us this film. Expand
  11. Jul 8, 2014
    The entire plot progression revolves around a small child being in the correct place at the correct time... Outside that highly unpredictable requirement the film wouldn't be able to progress very far...
  12. May 21, 2014
    This movie states that unemployment is below 1% and the economy is booming, this thanks to the Purge, were theres no law for 12 hours. It contradicts itself, people wont just kill, there main target would be money, businesses, banks etc would be looted and destroyed which would be disastrous for any economy..crap film that wasnt well thought out.
  13. May 16, 2014
    3 points for the concept, which was great and left me anticipating the release. Sooooo disappointed, wanted to leave before it ended. Everybody was so very stupid in the story, that it was all so predictable. This could have been a great movie.
  14. Apr 16, 2014
    I remember I first heard about this film in an ad before a YouTube video. It started with a voice-over said "Don't skip this ad. You are about to see the trailer for the most disturbing movie of the year." That was a bold statement, considering Evil Dead had already come out and The Conjuring was right around the corner. So naturally, I was curious and didn't skip the ad. One of the first things I noticed was that Ethan Hawke was in the film. I am a fan of Ethan Hawke, and since he was in Sinister a few months prior (one of the scariest films I've ever seen), I was even more curious. Then I noticed the interesting premise about all crime being legal for 24 hours, and as I sat and watched the trailer, I thought "You know, this movie has a lot of potential if they do it right..."

Finally, June arrived and the release date came along, so I saw the film. I was surprised to see a lot of awful acting, bad directing, and a poorly written story. Any and all potential that this premise had was completely wasted. The filmmakers took the premise and did the laziest thing possible: they made it into a cheap slasher flick. The Purge tries to make you feel isolated/alone in a small area with people hunting you, much like how the first Alien movie did. But The Purge relies too much on jump-scares to scare you, which is not a good tactic for horror movies. Good horror has slow-building tension and a release, two things that The Purge has none of.

The characters and the acting are similar in the sense that they're terrible and make you angry. The kids make HORRIBLE decisions, and even in some instances, endanger their own lives. For example, there is a scene where the daughter is upset with her parents, so she walks off, while the people are still invading their house. She risks her life just to act rebellious. Then the people invading the house aren't great either. They all seem to wear masks and act insane to seem creepy. This could have worked, but the moment someone fires a gun at them, they immediately stop acting this way, and they take cover and act like regular people, which gets rid of any creepiness of them possibly being mentally insane.

My final rating for The Purge is a 3/10. I hoped that this movie would at least be worthy of a Redbox rent, but it isn't even worth that. Part of me feels that I went in expecting too much, and I probably did. However, in a way, with the marketing and the premise, I didn't expect too much out of it. If you say that your movie is the most disturbing movie of the year, then you better give me the most disturbing movie of the year.
  15. Apr 2, 2014
    This movie could've been better if it was from the view of person caught on the streets as the "purge" happened. Having the focus be on a family barricaded in a house makes for dull experience for something that sounded so unique to see. Instead we get a family we couldn't care less about. When you're hoping the "heros" are quickly killed by their tormentors that's a bad sign. As for the tormentors they come across as laughable at best. They seem like rich psychos in real life now they get an excuse to kill poor people without penalties. A better story would've followed people who ended up outside while trying to get home before curfew. This movie gets a 1 only because of it's idea, too bad it wasn't fleshed out better. Expand
  16. Mar 29, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic idea totally underutilized. This film follows a family around their house for its duration, a stereotypical game of cat and mouse that the Purge doesn't really bring anything new to. Even worse, it's packed full of forced suspense and cheap 'thrills'. I was hoping the theme of morality would be explored from different angles, but instead it's made very black and white. I found this unbelievable and it distanced me from being immersed in the film as a result. Expand
  17. Feb 25, 2014
    I really liked this original idea that surrounded the whole movie. I was excited for the Purge to happen in the movie and once it started I was underwhelmed and just angered by stupid decisions one after another. I know movies need characters to make "mistakes" to progress the plot but there were so many that after halfway I was just left aggravated. I think this movie was okay, it is worth a rent and the idea was awesome so I hope a sequel can fix the mistakes. Just felt it could have been much better. Expand
  18. Jan 26, 2014
    this flim is pure bull **** tries to take on serious issues but ****s itself and ends focusess on some douche bag getting inthe house .family get thearten by bad guy they spend 20 minutes **** all .the movie is **** horrible it was the worst movie ever . the acting was so awful. ethen hawke was the worst actor in the film. the ending was most awful i have ever seen . this film is'nt enjoible awful like event horison . it's the one were you enjoy smashing it awful. Expand
  19. Jan 9, 2014
    The Purge falla en muchos aspectos, pero en el que más falla es en el más importante: como contar una historia. El argumento de The Purge demuestra que, aunque Hollywood tiene el cine más conocido y taquillero, me atrevo a decir sin ningún miedo que también tiene el menos original y barato en lo que es storytelling. Si esto puede pasar como "una película de terror y suspenso" puede que yo sea Santa Claus; porque lo absurdo de la película pega duro como una patada baja, y créeme te va a doler por mucho tiempo. Expand
  20. Jan 9, 2014
    The Purge is probably the worst film I have ever seen in my whole life. I think into the future and it will be very difficult that a film can even reach the half of disgusting and annoying of The Purge. It is amazing how a really original and breathtaking idea, like a day when people can do whatever they want without facing any consequences so they release tensions, can be wasted in such an unimaginable way. Starting by the thing that unleash the conflict of the story, the stupidity of a boy. Although no everything is his fault, the father is inconsistent with the things he does and a lame hero, the ideas of the mother are incoherent and the daughter is naïve to death. The twists of the story are desperate for achieving the attention of the viewer. There are some sequences that have potential but they dissipate in the immensity of rubbish. With an idea like this I would make the movie about the first day when the purge was establish or maybe evaluating that practice from different point of view from a group of people in the country. But there is nothing more to do with this director. I still ask myself how he manages to get the money to make this film and I hope that he never even think of making a new picture. This movie is an insult to human intelligence. Expand
  21. Dec 23, 2013
    The Purge offers imaginative plot but offer less scares and thrilling scenes which is not likely more of a sufficient thrilling movie and another thing that made this movie less mediocre is that it has a short running time.

It still good to be watched. The sound effects is still on its name. The characters, even though they are not that highly portrayable. They still got little guts.
    Actually, for my opinion, the only thing that raises its popularity was its unbelievable plot which is making all crimes legal within the annual "The Purge" 12 hour period.

The story tells us how a family managed to be secured and protected amidst of violent and chaotic people waiting outside their home that wanted to salvage and kill them. It is now up to them to destroy and kill those people before they killed them.

So overall of my opinion. All that I can say was that this movie is still adequate for family watching.

Rating 4 10
  22. Dec 13, 2013
    The premise is interesting at the cost of being completely implausible and so, pointless. In fact, it doesn't even play a major factor in the subsequent home invasion film that relies on startling pop-ups to even come close to a scare...
  23. Dec 12, 2013
    Draws viewers in with an interesting idea, and the first half looks promising, but succumbs to cliches. The second half is boring rather than suspenseful.
  24. Dec 6, 2013
    I quickly found myself very intrigued by the premise of 'The Purge'- a near future America under the new 'Founding Fathers' political regime. However, my intrigue and excitement soon turned to despair and annoyance as it became clear the film was to focus on a single, white, rich household. I wanted to see the wider stories within 'The Purge', something we only get a taste of on CCTV footage and radio broadcasts at the beginning of the film.The Writer, James DeMonaco, could have done so much more with such an innovative world, yet he took the easy way out by regurgitating the same old modern horror tactics with feeble jump scares and predictable 'plot twists'. The acting too left a lot to be desired. Ethan Hawke who plays James Sandin, the father and lead, does a good job of conveying himself as a morally confused figure; unsure whether to do what is 'right' or what is best for his family. However, you will find yourself frustrated with the acting from Max Burkholder, Adelaide Kane and Lena Heady, the respective son, daughter and wife of James Sandin. The son is meant to be the moral touchstone of the film, yet bland and uninteresting acting from Burkholder failed for this to be conveyed. There is not really a gel between the three, making moments between son and mother or mother and daughter somewhat awkward. Ultimately, we don't really care about their fate when they are thrown into potentially horrible situations. If you are looking for an in depth view into a futuristic world that examines the wider implications of a new and potentially possible regime, you won't find it here. If you are looking for something a bit simpler with occasional moments of excitement, by all means give this film a go. Expand
  25. Nov 29, 2013
    A pathetic attempt to scare its audience. The following film is original and the video quality is superb. However, the writers' are amateurs at best. The structure of events are not smartly planned. IN moments of action, the villains take decades to attempt to kill the main characters (family). The concept of the purge itself is quite idiotic. Although it is an imagination, its backing is completely unrealistic. This would've been fine, had the writers not attempted to make the story realistic.

This film is simply another over-hyped film attempting to profit off of a controversial topic... just like project x.
  26. Nov 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Purge is simply awful. Awful concept, unbelievable awful writing. The son in this movie is an imbecile. He essentially got his father killed by letting a homeless man in their house. The said homeless man lives at the end. How he lives I don't know. He walked away at the end after bleeding out for about 12 straight hours. Yeah ok.....The father creates top of the line security systems, yet says "The security systems are not made for events like this"....Dude, you live in a society where every year people are allowed to go on killing sprees, so why would you say something so preposterous.....The neighbors at the end wanted the family dead, until the massive blood losing homeless man saves them, then the mother lets the neighbors go?.....Why so she can tell stories in the produce aisle? Wait for the neighbors to try and kill them next year?...Possibly the worse written plot ever...For such a great concept, so much more could have been done. A waste of a great plot. Expand
  27. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel almost cheated with this movie, honestly. It's hard to feel concerned for a character when you know absolutely nothing about them. The only characters I can remember by name (after finishing the movie just seconds ago) was Zoey Sandin. Apart from that I have no idea who anyone was or what their stories were.

The antagonists seemed almost stereotypical in their Power Rangers Villain-esque portrayal, wanting to kill the "homeless pig" for the sake of a class war. This surprises me because in the event that this were a real event, it would more than likely be the lower class exhausting aggression on the upper class for obvious reasons. The antagonists, literally called in the subtitles: Freaks and Polite Leader, were completely bereft of any emotion and seemed to exhibit more of a Sociopathic tendency that you'd more likely see in a serial killer movie.

There wasn't anything lovable about the characters on either side, there was no one that I could honestly relate to and consequentially care about. What really brought it all down hill though was the cultish behavior of the neighbors when they all gathered around to kill the family with a less than concerning prayer of sorts. I wasn't sure if I was watching a Quentin Tarantino movie, at which I would have at least expected a few comedic quips with very serious overarching themes or a movie based on the works of Steven King in which a supernatural occurrence is the source of all the craze, at which point I expected (but was not given) a brazen attempt to convey a psychological aspect of what I would do in that situation.

Suffice to say, the movie fell flat in all aspects other than one thing that made me watch the movie in the first place: An original concept. This isn't something that's been done before and as stated at the beginning of my review, I feel cheated in how poorly it turned out.
  28. Oct 27, 2013
    Its concept and premise is rather different and interesting and it does make a good social and political allegory, but it is ruined by extreme lack of logic, dumb characters, bad dialogue, bad acting (apart from a menacing Rhys Wakefield) and a lack of suspense and terror. The Purge mainly succeeds it create foreboding terror as shown in the first 15 or so minutes when it is setting up the purge rather than the home-invasion itself. By the end of the film, audiences will be disappointed and annoyed. Well, at least Lena Headey breaks some ladies face, which is possibly the best thing in the film. Expand
  29. Oct 26, 2013
    The Purge sucks. It is so terrible in so many ways, honestly. The base idea behind the plot is really cool, but it's wasted on a stupid family with characters you don't care about, and a big waste of villians. I'm sure it was there on the page, but the Purge stumbles in every way possible in terms of execution.
  30. Oct 22, 2013
    I signed up just to let people know how terrible this movie is, the idea of there being a single day in the year (which turns out to be only 12 hours starting from 7pm... in which people are legally allowed to commit heinous crimes, but higher level govt. employees are for some reason exempt, is so stupid, if you are drawn to a plot as ridiculous as this then maybe you need to be purged.
    The story is so bad and made no sense, there was no depth to it, the acting was terrible, and character's idiotic decisions were enraging, i hated myself for wasting my valueless time watching this movie, the only reason why i did was because i acquired a pirated copy for which i am thankful for, because if i had actually spent any money to see this, i would be so depressed and angry and would have demanded my money back.

1. Reviewed by: Rex Reed
    Jun 11, 2013
    As a nauseating variation on the home-invasion theme, The Purge is as sickening as it is dreary.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 9, 2013
    This is quite possibly the most moronic motion picture I have seen thus far in 2013 and that's saying a lot.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 9, 2013
    The Purge isn’t just stupid; it’s also pretentious and often makes no sense.