The Pursuit of Happyness

7.0

1. MarkB.
    Feb 7, 2007
    Horatio Alger meets The Bicycle Thief. Look, I'm as thrilled as anybody that Chris Gardner, the real-life figure on whom this movie is based, beat insurmountable odds to become a big-time stockbroker, caring for and feeding his little son (and sending him to what is apparently the world's crappiest day care center) while doing it. And I have no problem whatsoever with the Horatio Alger meets The Bicycle Thief. Look, I'm as thrilled as anybody that Chris Gardner, the real-life figure on whom this movie is based, beat insurmountable odds to become a big-time stockbroker, caring for and feeding his little son (and sending him to what is apparently the world's crappiest day care center) while doing it. And I have no problem whatsoever with the critical acclaim and Oscar nomination that Will Smith has received for his heartfelt performance, although I can't help but wonder if Smith would've been as effective in maintaining such convincing screen rapport with child actor Jaden Smith if the latter weren't Will's own offspring. But this movie is so relentless in its apparent aim to make the audience feel as miserable (oh, excuse me, miserYble) as possible most of the way that the childish knock-knock joke that concludes the film, while not being all that funny in and of itself, got as big a reaction from my theater audience as the "bean scene" from Blazing Saddles normally would've...simply because it represents a change of pace, never mind how tiny, from two hours of punishment. I'm often a real sucker for good inspirational movies: I loved Akeelah and the Bee, The World's Fastest Indian, The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio, Gridiron Gang and the current examples Rocky Balboa and Freedom Writers, but all of those featured abundant moments of humor or joy to counterbalance the required scenes of hard knocks and heartbreak; conversely, I couldn't have wanted to exit The Pursuit of Happyness quicker if the theater had caught on fire! As the old blues song might say, if Gardner as depicted here didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all; he can't give away the bulky, outmoded medical devices he starves himself trying to sell to doctors, but that doesn't stop them from being frequently stolen; when given a crucial phone number to call for a job interview, he not only can't find something to write it down with, but people keep shouting other numbers at him while he's desperately trying to commit it to memory! After a while, this accumulation of obstacles reaches such a ridiculous, almost Pythonesque, red alert level that I actually found myself derisively laughing at it; callous as this may seem, my conscience is clear because the filmmakers seem to be fudging several crucial facts in order to artificially intensify the pathos. Apparently the real Gardner's son was an infant (not a preschooler) at the time, and apparently the Dean Witter brokerage firm didn't make Gardner and his 19 competitors do intern work for them for nothing, but paid them a small pittance...so if screenwriter Steve Conrad and director Gabriele Muccino are this willing to play fast and loose with the facts, then why should I automatically buy into their portrayal of Gardner's estranged wife as the biggest harpy on earth? I smell more than a whiff of Cinderella Man's fraudulent portrayal of the infinitely more complex than depicted boxing champ Max Baer as a one-dimensional sadist here; Conrad and Muccino are such enemies of fairmindedness and nuance here that they even make Thandie Newton (a very good actress) LOOK as unattractive as possible, even when she's down to bra and panties! But the worst aspect of The Pursuit of Happyness may well be the aftereffect that occurs down the road, as some of the same American corporations that a few years ago rocketed Spencer Johnson's book Who Moved My Cheese? to Number One on the bestseller lists by buying crates of it in order to convince their employees that being downsized is the best darn thing that could possibly happen to them begin doing the same with this movie on DVD, in essence to tell the rank and file, "Look, so what if the CEO's giving himself another raise and you a pay cut? Be glad we pay you to come to work at all !" If that's indeed what happens (and I don't doubt that it will), then The Pursuit of Happyness will make the long leap from simply being a bad movie to becoming an instrument of evil. Expand
  2. Jondoe
    Mar 2, 2009
    great movie. anyone who disagrees is a blind fool. it shows how real men take care of their kids. also a great movie on learning how to be a father and getting to know your kid. i don't even want to get into the motivational and other aspects of the movie. great acting jobs all around.
  3. BillyS.
    Jan 2, 2007
    It's obvious from the beginning that the man on whom The Pursuit of Happyness is based was the subject of an episode of Oprah because the film plays out as if it were Letterman reads Oprah Transcripts! An hour and a half of suffering, desertion, rejection, suffering, humiliation, suffering, evictions, incarceration, suffering and the final fifteen minutes of finding ones It's obvious from the beginning that the man on whom The Pursuit of Happyness is based was the subject of an episode of Oprah because the film plays out as if it were Letterman reads Oprah Transcripts! An hour and a half of suffering, desertion, rejection, suffering, humiliation, suffering, evictions, incarceration, suffering and the final fifteen minutes of finding ones inner-spirit, perseverance and redemption. Will Smith is the suffering hero in a role that seems to be written solely to get him an Oscar nod as a likeable, self confident man with a young son but not a single friend or relative willing to put him up for a night! Give me a break. With a foreign director and Oprah's endorsement to give it weight, it probably will get Mr. Smith his Oscar nomination, which means it's too late for Matt Damon or Ryan Gosling to get that kind of recognition they both truly deserve. Next year, go on Oprah!! Expand
  4. BobH.
    Dec 21, 2006
    I love Will Smith and you will love his real life son as that is the only worthwhile part of watching the movie. As for the rest, the script is totally lame, and the acting laughable. This is one very depressing movie but is so egregious in that nothing makes common sense that it loses its audience long before the conclusion. Will Smith portrays Rocky Balboa in the white shirt world. How I love Will Smith and you will love his real life son as that is the only worthwhile part of watching the movie. As for the rest, the script is totally lame, and the acting laughable. This is one very depressing movie but is so egregious in that nothing makes common sense that it loses its audience long before the conclusion. Will Smith portrays Rocky Balboa in the white shirt world. How much more can be dumped on this man? Avoid. Expand
  5. Issac
    Dec 20, 2006
    Too depressing for words and totally unrealistic. Will's real life son is a natural born ham as he steals the show.
  6. SeanH.
    Mar 1, 2007
    Obviously a film called "The Pursuit of Happyness" is going to be provocative, especially as we see so little of the man's inner journey, and so much of his running around with a x ray machine chasing a buck. Good luck to the guy.. he had to put food on the table and provide for his son under difficult circumstances. But what happened to him when he got rich? Who is this man and why Obviously a film called "The Pursuit of Happyness" is going to be provocative, especially as we see so little of the man's inner journey, and so much of his running around with a x ray machine chasing a buck. Good luck to the guy.. he had to put food on the table and provide for his son under difficult circumstances. But what happened to him when he got rich? Who is this man and why should we care as long as we dont get to find out anything about him other than the fact that he is a real tryer. Is it too much to ask? I mean, i don't want to accuse the film of being shallow or anything. You don't have to get into politics or ideological whatnot to wonder what on earth was the point of the movie. Or maybe you do. For a second i thought the film itself was actually mocking him when his son told him that joke...knock knock.. who's there?.. nobody.. nobody who?.. (silence). When his wife walks out on him, all he has to say is "YOU ARE SO WEAK!". And off she goes. So does he think he is "strong" and if so, how does it make him feel to have to go through all this pride swallowing, dignity sapping stuff day after day? Who the hell is this guy and does he have anything to say? How did he run his company after all this? Was he a good boss and a good man to work for? etc etc Will there be a part 2 or will we never get the chance to find out. Alas, this film goes no further. Expand
  7. JohnB.
    Apr 2, 2007
    I thought I was watching "Chariots of Fire" with all the running. This movie reaks of propaganda. Pursuing happyness comes from within, not from getting a job as a stock broker which the movie never touched on. Did anyone notice that the "lower class" kept stealing his machines but the "upper class" corporate world gave him so called, happyness. Talk about boot licking. It was a I thought I was watching "Chariots of Fire" with all the running. This movie reaks of propaganda. Pursuing happyness comes from within, not from getting a job as a stock broker which the movie never touched on. Did anyone notice that the "lower class" kept stealing his machines but the "upper class" corporate world gave him so called, happyness. Talk about boot licking. It was a depressing movie full of subliminal messages of how the corporations give us the happYness we seek. Y is the male cromosome for a male dominated world. Expand
  8. Hassan
    Dec 16, 2006
    Just the same boring scene repeated over and over. We all know how it's going to end so why not explain the characters? Where are the friends and family. How do coworkers not understand the gravity of the situation and offer to help? Who would invest money in a trainee without knowing the relationship will grow? The entire movie is preposterous from beginning to end. Awful!
  9. Deanna
    Feb 25, 2007
    I thought this movie was just a real downer. It kept dragging on and on, and from the moment it started you knew how it was going to end. I liked the ending the best not because of the happyness, but because I could finaly leave.
  10. Cait
    Sep 16, 2007
    Will Smith spends the majority of this film running around in a suit and thanking people earnestly. Very disappointing and way too cheesy. Cringeful in fact. That's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. An awful film.
  11. Holiday
    Jan 2, 2007
    Please spare me this story had more holes than swiss cheese. Are we to believe that he sacrificed his wife, endangered his child and took a job without any compensation with his chance of success being less than 1%? If you believe that I have a bridge I would like to sell you. And his employer is portrayed as insensitive biggots. And do you think that a major financial institution would Please spare me this story had more holes than swiss cheese. Are we to believe that he sacrificed his wife, endangered his child and took a job without any compensation with his chance of success being less than 1%? If you believe that I have a bridge I would like to sell you. And his employer is portrayed as insensitive biggots. And do you think that a major financial institution would let a trainee/cold caller go see a very successful pension fund manager alone? Do you think that pension fund manager would even consider meeting with a trainee? Try using your brain instead of the garbage that Hollywood shoves down your throat. This is an awful film in which white is rich and happy and black is poor and downtrodden. And where were his friends and family to offer support financial or otherwise. This film was offensive. Expand
  12. LaughingStock
    Dec 19, 2006
    Purusit of the almighty buck might be more like it. This is a poor movie with cliches at every corner. The character Will Smith had spunk but lacked brains or common sense. When you disect the glitter all that remains is a very poor script that is depressing and lacks reality or humanity. Avoid.
  13. DarrylD.
    Dec 20, 2006
    He starts smiling when he gets the job. Doesn't he know his life just ended? Will's subliminal message is "get white". This movie is shamed by "My brother's keeper", about ten years ago, where the real currency is between family who love each other and forego materialism. The information about how he sold his share of a business for a million dollars make me sick to my stomach.
  14. JudyT.
    Apr 2, 2007
    I didn't get it. I couldn't sympathize with a man who would keep his son with him while homeless. It seemed a bit selfish. Also being a slave just to get a job at Dean Witter doesn't say much about Dean Witter or stock brokers (high priced salesmen).
  15. Aaron
    Dec 15, 2006
    predictable story about how much garbage you can eat without complaining. The ending was sadly lacking and there were no character development to explain the lack of family and friends. To be a successful stock broker you have to have one part used car salesmen and two parts attorney in you. Will Smith had neither.
  16. ChuckU.Bastard
    Jan 31, 2007
    I don't even need to see this dreck to know that is another piece of Puritan work-ethic, unchecked capitalistic, bootstrap crap. How come nobody ever heard of this "real" person until the movie was released? Probably because he was fabricated for the movie's publicity. In other words, he never truly existed and still does not truly exist! It's just like that awful mess, I don't even need to see this dreck to know that is another piece of Puritan work-ethic, unchecked capitalistic, bootstrap crap. How come nobody ever heard of this "real" person until the movie was released? Probably because he was fabricated for the movie's publicity. In other words, he never truly existed and still does not truly exist! It's just like that awful mess, "Erin Brockovich." I mean, who ever heard of this broad before the movie? But, ta-da, when the movie is out, we all hear and see the "real" Brockovich, bosoms and all, on the news shows. The suit was most likely filed by the head of a multi-million law firm, and the secretary he was having an affair with got the credit and money to shut her up. That is the least astonishing conclusion. So I won't get sued for libel, this is my opinion, not proven fact. Unfortunately, I saw "Crock-O-Bitch"; I will not make the same mistake with "Pursuit of Crappyness." Expand
  17. helenm.
    Dec 21, 2006
    All down, down, down, down -- goes on too long with such agony. Not sure the when the man got the job that he actually won. Too depressing.
  18. MichaelF.
    Dec 17, 2007
    This was possibly the worst film I've seen. The entire movie is a montage of Will Smith running from place to place and snapping at people. We never get to see how he succeeds in his internship or the ways in which he works harder than the others around him. Every remotely compelling part of this film is shown in the previews. People seem to have made up their minds about loving this This was possibly the worst film I've seen. The entire movie is a montage of Will Smith running from place to place and snapping at people. We never get to see how he succeeds in his internship or the ways in which he works harder than the others around him. Every remotely compelling part of this film is shown in the previews. People seem to have made up their minds about loving this movie before taking the time to actually watch it. Long, boring and tortuous. Expand
  19. Steve
    Dec 22, 2006
    I'm surprised with the negative comments. This was a fantastic movie, dare I say the best movie I've seen all year. Seldom do movies capture the essence of the importance of life with such heart. I loved everything about it and highly recommend it.
  20. Feb 22, 2013
    This piece of junk edged out Babel as the worst film I saw in 2006, and stands firm as maybe the worst film I have ever seen. Definitely top five. The entire over-long endeavor essentially presents scene after scene of Will Smith running, being a jerk to people, running some more, riding busses, disobeying pedestrian traffic laws, sitting down, laying down, running, etc., etc. If you likeThis piece of junk edged out Babel as the worst film I saw in 2006, and stands firm as maybe the worst film I have ever seen. Definitely top five. The entire over-long endeavor essentially presents scene after scene of Will Smith running, being a jerk to people, running some more, riding busses, disobeying pedestrian traffic laws, sitting down, laying down, running, etc., etc. If you like this film you just have horrible taste. I can reach no other conclusion. Expand
  21. Bc
    Apr 6, 2007
    Much better than average. I liked the determination, motivation, and committment Gardner shows. Yup, it was predictable, and also a little bit too long, but that doesn't take away from the story. It's great to see a movie that isn't full of sex, violence and profanity.
  22. StevenS.
    Jan 5, 2007
    The acting in this film outshines the film itself. Which means a lot considering this was a good film. It nearly rises to the level of great but falls short. Will Smith gives a performance that will surely get recgonized by Academy voters. The only thing that dragged this film down were its lighter moments in which everything seems normal. Will Smith's son gives a standout debut as well.
  23. AllyF.
    Feb 8, 2008
    It's a great movie It inspire me.
  24. MichaelM
    Jan 1, 2007
    Likeable characters and good acting, but would've been more inspirational if Smith had been working toward becoming a teacher, social worker, or other do-gooder. The message seems to be, work hard and you, too, can become rich helping other rich people avoid paying their taxes.
  25. DavidL.
    Jan 2, 2007
    It was a good film with a fine performance by Will Smith. How ironic that the story about the grueling experiences of a down on his luck loser could also be one of the most inspiring films in quite some time. Here is hoping that Will Smith gets an Oscar nod for his understated performance.
  26. YolandaP.
    Jan 4, 2007
    This is what the world of father's need to see, this is one of the main problems going on in America. Men not stepping up to the plate and being the father that children need. This is a true example of a father.
  27. DonW.
    Jan 7, 2007
    The movie really dragged and we saw nothing that happened after he finally became a stockbroker. I thought the acting was below par also. Drama is not Will Smith's strong suit. Needs action movies.
  28. BillC.
    Jan 7, 2007
    Long and not very engaging, it certainly did not live up to the pre-release hype. I never felt pulled into the story, Will Smith was not nearly as compelling as I had hoped.
  29. JackG.
    Feb 4, 2007
    This movie is a perfect example of how anybody can get back on their feet. I loved it.
  30. BitBurn
    Feb 8, 2007
    Good stuff. I enjoyed this movie a lot. Congrats Will Smith! Although the ending was a bit disappointing.
  31. JS
    Apr 30, 2007
    One hell of a good movie, and makes me appreciate my life so much more. Its a story about a guy who had a dream, went staight after it, and got it in the face of overwhelming odds. I was also expecting that this would be another picture portraying all whites as bad people, but it wasn't like that at all. In fact, while the people from his own neighborhood largely rejected him and One hell of a good movie, and makes me appreciate my life so much more. Its a story about a guy who had a dream, went staight after it, and got it in the face of overwhelming odds. I was also expecting that this would be another picture portraying all whites as bad people, but it wasn't like that at all. In fact, while the people from his own neighborhood largely rejected him and kicked him out, it was a bunch of rich white guys in suits who ended up giving him his chance (after he worked like crazy to make it happen). It was an ironic twist to a wonderful film. I am also no Will Smith fan, but he was perfect in this role. Expand
  32. PatC.
    Jul 3, 2007
    The lack of subtlety is distracting in some scenes. Also, the father and son operate in a vacuum oblivious to the importance of others. Otherwise, fine show, true-to-life, both realistic and upbeat, with valuable lessons. Time well spent.
  33. GloriaC-H
    Aug 17, 2007
    This was a great movie. It made my husband cry. Will Smith did a great job and I now no only see him as a comedian but also a great actor.
  34. KielL.
    Apr 23, 2008
    The Story is great! Chris Gardner work so hard to get a job! The Funny Part is when he said "I Cant Spell Happieness"and he got hitted by a car! Story is about the on and off-homeless salesman-turned-stockbroker Chris Gardner and his son Christopher!
  35. RobertS.
    Jul 16, 2008
    Some serious acting from Will Smith. This and I am Legend show off his skills well, and if you find it boring, then maybe you should try to appreciate the achievements a bit more.
  36. JayC.
    Dec 16, 2006
    I love Will Smith's acting and his son is very good, but this movie is just too depressing. It was all about the "pursuit" and almost nothing about the happYness. I agree with most of what was said by the 2 rating reviewer. It seems unbelievable that someone can shoot them shelves in the foot so often. If he was so bright, why couldn't he just get a real job for awhile to keep I love Will Smith's acting and his son is very good, but this movie is just too depressing. It was all about the "pursuit" and almost nothing about the happYness. I agree with most of what was said by the 2 rating reviewer. It seems unbelievable that someone can shoot them shelves in the foot so often. If he was so bright, why couldn't he just get a real job for awhile to keep his wife and family together when it was obvious the machines were poor sellers. It made me think the producers wanted to manipulate viewers into an unreal sympathy for the characters. Expand
  37. PeggyB.
    Dec 19, 2006
    I loved it. It was a story that I have seen in front of my eyes before. I have a friend that is going through hardship, but has determination to make it through. It was beautiful to see smith react with his son. Oscar nod should be a definite, oscar win a great possibility.
  38. RalphA.
    Dec 31, 2006
    Good acting by Will Smith and his son. However, there are two disturbing acts that question whether they should have been portrayed differently. In one scene, Will tells his son to "Shut Up", and in another he viloently shakes his son. Do we really want to see this on film, thus validating this type of behavior?
  39. MariaB.
    Jan 15, 2007
    It was a great movie. Will Smith had an outstanding performance.
  40. StoptheH.
    Jan 19, 2007
    The movie is great. EVERYONE in here that gave this movie less than 5 stars must either a) hate their own life and situation, or b) hate the fact that there ARE people like this out there- that don't give up. It makes me sick that the bulk of the criticism boils down to - it's unbelieveable (even though it's true), or why should anyone succeed because there are so many The movie is great. EVERYONE in here that gave this movie less than 5 stars must either a) hate their own life and situation, or b) hate the fact that there ARE people like this out there- that don't give up. It makes me sick that the bulk of the criticism boils down to - it's unbelieveable (even though it's true), or why should anyone succeed because there are so many people suffering. That mindset is not only idiotic, it's dangerous. I bet if it depicted rich white people losing everything and winding up in the streets, they'd give it a 10. stop the hate. Expand
  41. CarolG.
    Jan 2, 2007
    This is a wonderful movie and so nice to FINALLY see a show that has some good moral values! Will Smith is a wonderful actor. It is so good to see a self made person and to know that determination pays off. This story is about Chris Gardner's life, not a made up fairy tale. This man is a very successful broker and recenty sold his brokerage firm and is using his monies to help This is a wonderful movie and so nice to FINALLY see a show that has some good moral values! Will Smith is a wonderful actor. It is so good to see a self made person and to know that determination pays off. This story is about Chris Gardner's life, not a made up fairy tale. This man is a very successful broker and recenty sold his brokerage firm and is using his monies to help others. Not just people here in the US, but other countries as well. Expand
  42. ErinR
    Jan 2, 2007
    I have been in pursuit to find a great movie, one that evokes emotion, intelligence and one that is worth the cost of movies these days. I was Happy to find " The Pursuit Of Happyness". The most compelling part is when Chris Gardner tells his son to pursue his dreams no matter what. It was inspiring to see powerful positive words used to overcome the darkest shadows that the world can I have been in pursuit to find a great movie, one that evokes emotion, intelligence and one that is worth the cost of movies these days. I was Happy to find " The Pursuit Of Happyness". The most compelling part is when Chris Gardner tells his son to pursue his dreams no matter what. It was inspiring to see powerful positive words used to overcome the darkest shadows that the world can cast. It embodied my thoughts on how I would react in that type of situation, it is a true story, one that takes a strong sense of character to live through. This movie was beautifully told, a strong movie that allows one to think beyond the surface, to think deeply with our hearts. Something the world is lacking at the present time. The Pursuit of Happyness will make you think, and feel, for we all have dreams, and most importantly this connects all of us, for everyone is in pursuit of happiness. Expand
  43. MaxW.
    Dec 3, 2007
    A wonderful movie that leaves a lasting impression; one of the best I've ever seen.
  44. CandaceT
    Feb 11, 2007
    I enjoyed this movie a lot. Not only did I think the acting was great, but it's nice to see movies about something for a change. Biography type movies make you remember that not everyone who is doing well for themselves was born with a silver spoon. And in watching this movie it allowed me to research a very respectable and decent person, in which this world is running short on. I I enjoyed this movie a lot. Not only did I think the acting was great, but it's nice to see movies about something for a change. Biography type movies make you remember that not everyone who is doing well for themselves was born with a silver spoon. And in watching this movie it allowed me to research a very respectable and decent person, in which this world is running short on. I thought Will and Jaden Smith did excellent jobs on portraying their character and not just being "that actor" in "that movie". For those of you who make opinions with basis, you are completely entitled to your opinion, but you shouldn't make comments without all the facts. Expand
  45. SeanH.
    Feb 28, 2007
  46. JamieH.
    Feb 8, 2007
    A very good movie. I'm not sure why all the negative comments, especially from some people who haven't even seen the movie!! Will Smith does a very good job, and his son is a natural. By the end, I forgot I was watching Will Smith. He completely became his character. I think this movie will resonate with anyone that has had to make a hard decision in trying to make a better life A very good movie. I'm not sure why all the negative comments, especially from some people who haven't even seen the movie!! Will Smith does a very good job, and his son is a natural. By the end, I forgot I was watching Will Smith. He completely became his character. I think this movie will resonate with anyone that has had to make a hard decision in trying to make a better life for themselves or in chasing down a dream. It makes you really care about the main character and root for him to succeed. Expand
  47. Sara
    Apr 20, 2007
    I give this movie a 10 because it teaches a life lesson about motivation, and how Chris was motivated to become a stock broker. It is a good movie for someone to watch that needs motivaton.
  48. jdkjhdfd
    Apr 20, 2007
    This is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Yes, it's not a happy, cheery, little elf film, but it all turns out in the end, everything turns out fine. If you have even a shread of soul, this movie will warm your heart. I want everyone to see it now.
  49. PnArdyPnArdy
    May 13, 2007
    Great emotional drama with Will Smith about a father who loves and cares about his young son in spite of all the difficulties of the Great Depression in America. Should have got an Oscar.
  50. Anon
    Dec 7, 2008
    Powerful and (near) perfect
  51. ChrisE.
    Mar 2, 2008
    This movie was great. Will Smith shows his emotional side of acting in this well made movie about never giving up hope, and to never give up on fighting for what you want. I enjoyed this movie the whole way through. I thought that 117 minutes in length for this type of film would be to long, but i was proven wrong, this movie was worth the time. I think that this was Will Smiths best This movie was great. Will Smith shows his emotional side of acting in this well made movie about never giving up hope, and to never give up on fighting for what you want. I enjoyed this movie the whole way through. I thought that 117 minutes in length for this type of film would be to long, but i was proven wrong, this movie was worth the time. I think that this was Will Smiths best performance ever in a movie. If you haven't seen this movie then you should its definitely worth the money to buy the dvd. I think it deserved more than a 64, but i don't care what the critics say, i give it a 10/10. Expand
  52. RheicelR.
    Mar 23, 2008
    The best movie that I have ever watched. Effortless but the message is clear. Nice one, Will Smith!
  53. Thomasz
    May 3, 2009
    I agree with Jon doe, It's amazing. A 9 because it as sooooo sad in parts and hard to watch. But it gets you on your feet in the end. A heartwarming, inspiring story, movie, and performance by Will Smith. I'm happy this was a true story, just GREAT.
  54. Fantasy
    Dec 15, 2006
    [***SPOILERS***] I absolutely love Will Smith as an actor and I still do. But this is one very dark and depressing movie that has as many holes as swiss cheese regurgitating throughout the very long tedious depressing ordeal. Basically, Will Smith faces adverstity followed by more adversity followed by more adversity and so on. How long can an audience stay focused on only bad things [***SPOILERS***] I absolutely love Will Smith as an actor and I still do. But this is one very dark and depressing movie that has as many holes as swiss cheese regurgitating throughout the very long tedious depressing ordeal. Basically, Will Smith faces adverstity followed by more adversity followed by more adversity and so on. How long can an audience stay focused on only bad things without a ray of light at the end of the dark tunnel. But in the end the predictable happy ending lasts less than a nano second leaving the audience totally empty. There isn't even a glimpse of the good times other than a couple of sentences at the conclusion of the movie. As for the cast of characters there are really only three, Will, his wife, and his absolutely adorable real life son. If you are going to the movies for some holiday cheer you won't find any in this so-so depressing story. Bah Humbug! Expand
  55. MitchM.
    Dec 16, 2006
    This movie shows you why America is the greatest country in the world. And why those with integrity, compassion, and commitments to their families can succeed with hard work and drive. Smith is incredibly good. I haven't been touched by a film in this way in a long time.
  56. Agnes
    Dec 16, 2006
    I have to disagree with Mitch as it shows America's preoccupation only with itself and cares nothing for the less fortunate people of our wonderful country. Instead of focussing on just Will Smith take a look around at all the impoverished people with no chance of climbing the ladder to success. As for the story itself there is no joy just a paradox of a confused man taking a job I have to disagree with Mitch as it shows America's preoccupation only with itself and cares nothing for the less fortunate people of our wonderful country. Instead of focussing on just Will Smith take a look around at all the impoverished people with no chance of climbing the ladder to success. As for the story itself there is no joy just a paradox of a confused man taking a job without pay at the cost of his marriage and the welfare of his son. It predictably turns out okay but it is ridiculous to even suggest that a trainee would be allowed to call on a CEO without the account being turned over to a Senior Executive. All these trainees do is cold call for the existing stockbroker, a fact that was not even mentioned in this depressing exaggerated movie. Yes, its a real tear jerker without even giving the audience a glimpse of the HappYness that is to come after getting the job. Not my cup of tea at all. Avoid. Expand
  57. MattM.
    Dec 16, 2006
    Will Smith somehow keeps you involved in this propaganda movie. This movie is ridiculous! the whole concept is that money is the only thing that makes you happy. With subliminal images of rich white people always smiling and living the perfect lives with golden retrievers in their mercedes. I worked on wall street those people are greedy miserable jerks. for the most part. The idea of the Will Smith somehow keeps you involved in this propaganda movie. This movie is ridiculous! the whole concept is that money is the only thing that makes you happy. With subliminal images of rich white people always smiling and living the perfect lives with golden retrievers in their mercedes. I worked on wall street those people are greedy miserable jerks. for the most part. The idea of the story is great but poorly executed. The filmmaking concept of diminishing returns is very prevalent. You can't show the same thing happening to a character over and over and expect an emotional reaction. The audience gets used to nothing going right for this guy and it has no effect after a while. Will's brilliant acting gets a small amount of emotion at the end, but if the movie would of been about his work situation more and the threat of him not getting the job it would of had a chance to be really good. Overall: boring, good acting, but right wing capitalist propaganda. Expand
  58. BobR.
    Dec 16, 2006
    The movie is indeed an incredible story of mans will to pursue his right for happiness, and to take care of his son. The amount of work and determination exerted is phenomenal and can be greatly admired in the film...I thought the film was slightly redundant however and lacked to really hit home emotionally except in a couple occasion. Overall good movie.
  59. stuart
    Dec 17, 2006
    Money = happiness bull. Nice TV movie - hollow, pleasant enough, good acting. But the entire movie has no basis in reality. More capitalistic propaganda. Sorry not worth the time.
  60. SW.
    Dec 17, 2006
    Will Smith's performance deserves an Oscar!...what a refreshing job of acting! Since this is a true story, we know the outcome, but how the character was built is the core of the movie. I agree with a previous post that Wall Street is about greed and that men of color are discriminated...and I'm almost certain that in real life, Gardner himself was the victim of racial Will Smith's performance deserves an Oscar!...what a refreshing job of acting! Since this is a true story, we know the outcome, but how the character was built is the core of the movie. I agree with a previous post that Wall Street is about greed and that men of color are discriminated...and I'm almost certain that in real life, Gardner himself was the victim of racial discrimation. The 80's was an era of social transformation when racial discrimination was coming to a serious frution within society, which wasn't completed until the late 80's-early 90's. I believe Hollywood wanted to make this a "feel good" movie rather than show the harshness of our society. Sadly, it only showed "money" is the "pursuit of happy-ness"...it was a very sad story that made me shed tears, but it also made a false impression. I've worked as a trader and find stockbrokers to be fast-talking self-centered ego-maniacs...but that's the nature of their job. I also find it hard to believe that Gardner's wife left without a hitch knowing she worked double shifts to keep her family alive when Gardner wasn't pulling his load. The story was quite riveting and inspirational, but it was also filmed in Hollywood-style, where stories are embellished without question. With a background in law and financing, I presume there is more to Gardner's real life, which was probably cut from the film. Expand
  61. Sidiot
    Dec 17, 2006
    Will Smith is a great likeable actor. In this fick his real life son makes his acting debut and you will love him to pieces. But this alone does not make a good movie. To the contrary, it is moronic film, very ameteurish, and not even believable. Will Smith shows poor judgment time and time again. He uses his life savings to buy and then resell medical equipment which is overpriced and Will Smith is a great likeable actor. In this fick his real life son makes his acting debut and you will love him to pieces. But this alone does not make a good movie. To the contrary, it is moronic film, very ameteurish, and not even believable. Will Smith shows poor judgment time and time again. He uses his life savings to buy and then resell medical equipment which is overpriced and outdated. The only characters of note are his angry wife, adorable son and the token rich white people whose characters are never developed except that they smile a lot and take their money for granted. The black community is a poor downtrodden group that is totally dependent on hand outs for their very survival. Will Smith gets a vapor lock and decides that he wants to apply for a one in 20 trainee job at Dean Witter. He has no formal college education and his sales expeience and investment advice is already on display as being very poor with his X-ray machine. For the next two hours he has snow shoveled on him from every conceivable angle until it consumes him in an avalanche. This movie is as depressing as can be and never explains why anyone would take a trainee job that doesn't guarantee a position and does not offer any type of compensation. A normal human being in Will Smith's position would never accept the job at the cost of his marriage or the safety of his family but that is exactly what he does. It portrays the nice folks at Dean Witter as rich buffoons who care nothing about others. Would anyone in human resources offer a trainee job without pay to a non college graduate without sales experience and no way to pay his bills? Would Dean Witter let a cold calling trainee go see a CEO of a major pension fund without a Senior Executive? Better yet would a CEO buy from a trainee without any experience or clientele in the first place? But this is some of the hogwash they try to push down the viewers the throat and some of you by your reviews buy into this dribble without even using the brain in your head. As for the predictable ending it is a huge letdown. Quite frankly this is terribly written and directed even if it is partially based on a true story. Expand
  62. Anthony
    Dec 22, 2006
    This movie, while having some good moments was the worst of both worlds. I don't mind a serious, tough, painful movie that is realistic-- the type generaly reserved for independent films. I also don't mind a silly, unrealistic Hollywood film. This was neither, and both. It had all the pain of a realistic film but with a completely unrealistic ending (even though, apparently, it This movie, while having some good moments was the worst of both worlds. I don't mind a serious, tough, painful movie that is realistic-- the type generaly reserved for independent films. I also don't mind a silly, unrealistic Hollywood film. This was neither, and both. It had all the pain of a realistic film but with a completely unrealistic ending (even though, apparently, it happened for one person). Hundreds of characters in the movie are living desparate and miserably lives in poverty; others are living large, completely uneffected and uninterested in the others. But we are all supposed to be happy and feel great because one guy got lucky and out of poverty. At the end of the movie I might have been slightly pleased for Smith's character's luck, but what about everyone else? Expand
  63. GL
    Dec 20, 2006
    all these people who are complaining about this movie being too hollywood... WHAT DID YOU EXPECT??? the acting was phenomenal! i dont care how outlandish this movie was, the acting made up for every bit of absurdity contained in the script.
  64. MichaelL.
    Dec 23, 2006
    I cannot believe how many negative comments were posted for this movie. The movie captures the BIOGRAPHICAL events that one man endures in order to gain status and, more importantly, happiness in a world that is against him. Hollywood did not try to spruce up the plot because there was no need. The story actually happened! How can one say that the movie is 'unbelievable' when I cannot believe how many negative comments were posted for this movie. The movie captures the BIOGRAPHICAL events that one man endures in order to gain status and, more importantly, happiness in a world that is against him. Hollywood did not try to spruce up the plot because there was no need. The story actually happened! How can one say that the movie is 'unbelievable' when the events actually took place? I feel that Hollywood did a fantastic job of capturing the essence of the "American Dream": through diligence, strife, and dedication, one can achieve great things. The actors in this movie were very plausible. I was easily able to empathize with each of the main characters, while still maintaining a consistent sympathy for Will Smith's struggle to the top. For those out there who are looking for a well-developed, self-made man type of movie, look no further. As stated before, this movie is based off of ACTUAL events. If the viewer keeps this in mind, I see no reason why one could not enjoy 'The Pursuit of Happyness'. Expand
  65. MichaelM.
    Dec 26, 2006
    This is a really great movie! This guy had a dream and he pursued that dream with intelligence, hard work, integrity, and persistence. He saw something that he could be talented in and that he could finally succeed in! Some people don't seem to like that it looks like he is selling in to materialism and he's chasing a capitalistic dream. However, he could have been pursuing This is a really great movie! This guy had a dream and he pursued that dream with intelligence, hard work, integrity, and persistence. He saw something that he could be talented in and that he could finally succeed in! Some people don't seem to like that it looks like he is selling in to materialism and he's chasing a capitalistic dream. However, he could have been pursuing success in any form. This well made movie tells the story of man's triumph over hardship (i.e. Shashank Redemption) so don't talk about unrealistic! Expand
  66. DanielK
    Dec 28, 2006
    I do not do this very often, but this was a flawless film. It is not great entertainment. In fact, it was grueling and (to quote my teenage son) stressful to watch. I am also a self-made man who has endured many hardships for the sake of my family, so this was an especially poignant film for me. Will Smith is at the top of his game. The writing was inspired, as was this man
  67. PeterJ.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Will Smith and his son put on one of the best acting performances I have seen in a long time. Very touching film as well, especially since it is based on a true story. Watching this movie puts things in perspective, as I bet none of us had to work nearly as hard in our pursuit of happiness. Bring on I am Legend Will! Dec 14th!
  68. ReidF.
    Jan 27, 2007
    Despite being an interesting story, this is a one-note movie. The director chose to shoot it completely from the lead character's point of view, thereby removing the depth from all of the other characters. Will Smith does a fine job, but how many times can you watch him run down the street carrying a white box?
  69. SteveK.
    Mar 29, 2007
    People's complaints about the movie's thorough and complete emphasis on Chris Gardner's struggle without showing the success or happiness, should probably learn to read. This is not meant as an insult, but as an observation. The title of the movie is.... (Wait for it....) "The PURSUIT of Happyness" So what do you think the focus of the movie is going to be? Any guesses? The People's complaints about the movie's thorough and complete emphasis on Chris Gardner's struggle without showing the success or happiness, should probably learn to read. This is not meant as an insult, but as an observation. The title of the movie is.... (Wait for it....) "The PURSUIT of Happyness" So what do you think the focus of the movie is going to be? Any guesses? The struggle is painful, but that's what makes it worthwhile when he gets there. Or at least it should. I still would have liked to have seen a little more of the "happiness." Give us a glimpse of what his life looks like now. You don't have to flaunt the bling-bling or show Chris driving expensive cars and in disgustingly extravangant houses, but show us a little of the comfort and peace of mind he worked so hard to get. Lots of pursuit but little happiness. When you work so hard to get the audience some place, there should be a pay-off (in this case: happiness), but when there isn't... or too little of it, the audience feels cheated. The struggle is genuinely heart-wrenching particularly because Will Smith and Jaden Smith are so good, and most people can relate to a guy who pursues a good life for his family and meets hardship along the way. But in the end it's more than a little emotionally manipulative, and the pay-off in the end falls a little short of the goal. Could have been a real inspiring and satisfying tale, but what we get instead is just a nice try. Collapse
  70. SteveS.
    Apr 15, 2007
    This was an uplifting, motivating, heartfelt movie. I thnk some of the reviewers here missed the point completely. It's all about believing in yourself and doing what it takes to get to where you want to be. Was the acting, pacing or dialogue the best of the year? No, but it didn't have to be to get its message across. Bear in mind, too, that the dialogue was based on the true This was an uplifting, motivating, heartfelt movie. I thnk some of the reviewers here missed the point completely. It's all about believing in yourself and doing what it takes to get to where you want to be. Was the acting, pacing or dialogue the best of the year? No, but it didn't have to be to get its message across. Bear in mind, too, that the dialogue was based on the true story and the amount of repitition in the movie was used to convey what we go through in real life. I got it and I think a lot of people do, hopefully Hollywood will deliver more movies like this and fewer like 300. Expand
  71. Brendan
    Apr 17, 2007
    I personally don't watch to many dramas or enjoy them for that matter but I very much enjoyed this film. Will Smith gives a great performance and makes sure you feel his pain and suffrage. You realize how poverty really effects people and makes you want to help him as soon as you can. You want him to win and you can;t help but smile when he finally does. I hope that everyone gives I personally don't watch to many dramas or enjoy them for that matter but I very much enjoyed this film. Will Smith gives a great performance and makes sure you feel his pain and suffrage. You realize how poverty really effects people and makes you want to help him as soon as you can. You want him to win and you can;t help but smile when he finally does. I hope that everyone gives this film a try because it surly deserves everyone's attention. Expand
  72. ChiliF.
    Jun 17, 2007
    It's a very good movie. It was very inspiring to see him keep his clothes clean even when he had to live in filth.
  73. MaxP
    Feb 17, 2008
    One of the most beautiful contemporary films I have ever seen. Ignore the bad reviews. Watch this film and you will not be disappointed. Will Smith plays an absolute blinder - the only time you will hear different is from pretentious so called "film buffs" and people with a complete lack of culture. 10/10.
  74. NathanL.
    Dec 15, 2006
    Will Smith gives the performance of his career in this inspirational story of a man who overcame poverty to become a stock broker at Dean Witter Reynolds Brokeridge. This movie may beat you up for a good hour and a half, but you will come out with the belief that if this man can make it anyone can. And that's good enough for me.
  75. ChadS.
    Dec 15, 2006
    Things didn't come easily for Chris Gardner(Will Smith), and "The Pursuit of Happyness" has the patience, and more importantly, we have the patience, to sit through all of this man's ups and downs. The film does an excellent job of engrossing us in Gardner's failures(even Chris' hiring at Dean Whitter is played as a downer), because in a film like this, they're Things didn't come easily for Chris Gardner(Will Smith), and "The Pursuit of Happyness" has the patience, and more importantly, we have the patience, to sit through all of this man's ups and downs. The film does an excellent job of engrossing us in Gardner's failures(even Chris' hiring at Dean Whitter is played as a downer), because in a film like this, they're only delaying the inevitable. We know how it's going to end. At times, "The Pursuit of Happyness" doesn't feel like it was made by a major studio: case and point, the scene between Chris and Christopher(Jaden Smith) at the subway station. This movie isn't afraid to go nowhere. It meanders(in one scene, father and son end up at a shelter, only to be redirected to another shelter) a little. "The Pursuit of Happyness" feels, pardon the cliche, real. The rapport between both Smiths radiates a sense of actual familial love which nimbly transcends the potential for sentimentality. This is a feel-good movie in the very best sense. Expand
  76. KingChad
    Dec 17, 2006
    Two hours of mind blowing can you dump on me even more PLEASE. So Hollywood! It was so boring and depressing as we never even got to know the characters and the plot is too ridiculous to take seriously. Will was real smart to sell outdated and expensive medical equipment that he has no formal training in and then takes a non paying trainee job in a market where only 5% succeed while he Two hours of mind blowing can you dump on me even more PLEASE. So Hollywood! It was so boring and depressing as we never even got to know the characters and the plot is too ridiculous to take seriously. Will was real smart to sell outdated and expensive medical equipment that he has no formal training in and then takes a non paying trainee job in a market where only 5% succeed while he throws his hardworking wife under the bus. Gee, she must have been very bad to leave a loser like Will. Yes, Will you were very smart indeed to scar your wife and children for life. Give me a break. Expand
    Dec 19, 2006
    I have seen all of his movies but Ali; with that said, this is his greatest role. He truly was Chris Gardner. I have never been so touched by or thrilled for a character in my life. Kudos, Mr. Smith!
  78. Brett
    Dec 19, 2006
    Predictable, exaggerated, yet still has its touching moments.
  79. KevinY.
    Dec 19, 2006
    If you do not believe in the american dream then stay at home because you will not like this movie. This movie is about the lost values of most americans. I found the message refreshing but I must admit the hardships seen can be overwhelming by the end of the movie. Then again, to get the payoff of the ending you have to sit through some hard times, much like the main character. Who said If you do not believe in the american dream then stay at home because you will not like this movie. This movie is about the lost values of most americans. I found the message refreshing but I must admit the hardships seen can be overwhelming by the end of the movie. Then again, to get the payoff of the ending you have to sit through some hard times, much like the main character. Who said good things come easy? Expand
  80. DawnM
    Dec 26, 2006
    Better than the book -- and I almost never feel that way. It could have been shorter (the middle dragged a wee bit), but aside from that, it was excellent. A tearjerker, for sure.
  81. JShizzle
    Dec 29, 2006
    Unbelievable, you have to be ruthless to give this movie anything less than a perfect 10.
  82. CourtneyG.
    Nov 13, 2007
    I thought it was a great film ...one of the best I've ever seen!! two thumbs up for will and his son they did fantastic!!! im even doing a a movie project on this movie!! great job!!
  83. Nov 12, 2010
    The movie was wonderful,yes,emotional,yes,depressing,yes,dull,no,long,no,and definitely not at all bad...Smith's performance was truly a highlight through out and Jaden Smith also played his part brilliantly...AS a result i was able to spot this certain connection between the two that felt really good.Apart from the acting,the rest was also pretty good....
  84. Feb 27, 2011
    Will Smith has been used to playing brainless roles in big dumb action movies. It's a nice change to see him playing a more serious role for a change. The whole movie was about acting. There were no special effects, no bells and whistles, it was Will Smith's acting ability and the genuine bond with his real son that made Christopher so believable.
  85. Mar 24, 2011
    I gave this movie 8 out of 10, for the simple reason and premise that it is based upon a real story, and that the performances are strong and true to its overall content. Will Smith is NOT the revelation of this movie, it is his son, Jaden. Strange irony for me to say this, because Smith is one of the most talented actors/performers alive and is a personal favorite of mine. DirectorI gave this movie 8 out of 10, for the simple reason and premise that it is based upon a real story, and that the performances are strong and true to its overall content. Will Smith is NOT the revelation of this movie, it is his son, Jaden. Strange irony for me to say this, because Smith is one of the most talented actors/performers alive and is a personal favorite of mine. Director Gabriele Muccino hasn't done anything extraordinary, but has simply made an ordinary, real-life story extraordinarily uplifting. And he has his actors as well as Andrea Guerra's moving background score to thank. Probably disrespectful for me to say this, considering that a movie's success/failure depends entirely on its direction and concept. So let me retract my earlier line about the director! Smith's Chris Gardner might probably be the unluckiest guy in the world, as he runs around with what could safely be described as 'an object from outer space,' but does so with such urgency that even his own wife, played horribly by Thandie Newton, thinks it's a useless idea. Funny she should think that, considering she moved in with Chris in a new house because the objects (portable bone density scanners) once seemed highly potential for their future. Newton's Linda Gardner is a bit too unnatural and hurried for me. If she had reasons to be so cross and frustrated with Chris and their normal life, she probably could have done with a few more scenes, either shadows or memories from the past or even the present. But Linda felt a bit too hyper anxious and helpless. Jaden Smith doesn't disappoint in his movie debut - the kid can act! And what's more, he does it seemingly effortlessly. I wonder if Smith was just stunned and speechless during the outtakes, because sometimes, Junior Smith can be so impeccably natural. What moved me equally was the beautiful score by Andrea Guerra - it was just the foundation that the movie needed. It was calm, subdued, powerful, and emotional. When, in the scene where Chris is told that he's got a job and he gets out of the office to enjoy a rare moment of sheer happiness and even personal vindication, the background emphatic score lifts the spirit up as much as Smith's precise and wonderful performance does. All in all, it was a wonderful movie in life lessons. And lastly, before I forget, I enjoyed the Happyness part, the graffitti on the wall that Chris Gardner was so conscious and expressive about. Funny he should be so insightful and verbal about such typos when his own life was a train wreck going downhill! This is the magic of the movie - it is the painful irony of life, and the eventual joy of true hard-earned satisfaction in the pursuit of real 'happyness.' Expand
  86. May 28, 2013
    The film is always in the pursuit of great things, and we are always tasked with feeling depressed or emotional when the story unfolds, and lead character Will Smith and his real life son Jaden give is so many reasons to feel this way after watching The Pursuit of Happyness.
    Based on a true story, Smith plays Chris Gardner, a smart and traditional family man, but also a down on his luck individual who is late with his rent, his childcare payments and and must fund these essentials through the sale of bone density scanners, a luxurious spin on X-ray machines, and that exact point is just what makes these things so hard to sell, a pointless luxury.
    As Chris is tempted by the perks of being a stockbroker in the 1980s, his wife Linda (Thandie Newton) has had enough of Chris' lack of deliverance on the family front, and decides enough is enough. The punch here, however, is that Chris is desperately trying to provide for his family, he just doesn't know how.
    When Chris decides to pursue the stockbroker prospect, he gets accepted onto an unpaid internship lasting six months. As Chris delegates over what his future prospects are, he must think about the present, and of course his son.
    Will Smith delivers an awe-inspiring performance as the unlucky man in San Francisco, we see his anger, frustration but love for his son all at play, and he must put up with many people he simply don't understand. Smith's son Jaden also performs brilliantly in his debut performance as Chris' son Christopher, he's just a kid who wants to have a normal life, but also seems to understand what his father is going through, and shows flashes of his dad's intelligence which creates a wonderful father/son dynamic, even when a night spent in a public toilet just for warmth brings them closer than ever.
    But what has been sacrificed in an otherwise flawless film is the notion that even if the real story of Chris Gardner isn't familiar to the viewer, there is rarely a downbeat moment where we believe there isn't going to be a happy ending, the constant talk of happiness and how it may be misinterpreted are giveaways throughout the film, leading to a predictable, but still satisfying ending.
    A touching and happy story is told, with inspired performances from Will and Jaden Smith that works on the father and son dynamic of being a team and always sticking around for each other.
  87. Feb 13, 2013
    A movie of severe suffering and unbelievable perseverance. The Pursuit of Happiness is a triumphant of a film of one man's struggle. Brilliantly executed coupled with Will Smith giving an acting performance of his career.
  88. Jan 3, 2013
    A very inspiring tale based on an inspiring true story of Chris Gardner who roamed the streets after events of failing to pay rents,taxes,etc. Will Smith does a great job at being a very smart and talented person might do if they were in a situation like that. Jaden Smith is just flat out cute.
  89. May 8, 2015
    Love this movie so much. Will Smith and even his son (whom I think he doesn't have a lot of talent with acting) did a great job. The story which is based in real life couldn't be any more heartfelt and the direction is slick. Very good movie, all in all.
  90. Mar 26, 2015
    8.8/10................................................................................................................................................
  91. Apr 11, 2015
    The director of the movie is Gabriele Muccino, the main actors are will Smith and Jaden Smith.
    I think the movie is great because we can see two characters, the dad and his son fighting to have a better life. for me, it's moving because the dad fights for his son, for his future. If you like true stories, you must go and watch The Pursuit of Happyness.
    It is a very good movie !
  92. Jun 1, 2015
    One of the most amazing and motivated movies I have ever watched, when you are hapless you can watch this movie, some of the previous reviews spoke about that the movie take long part with suffering and so on, but I told the more you suffer and fail, the more you learn and feel the success.
    I recommend for all who watch the movie to read the book also.
  93. Dec 6, 2015
    "The Pursuit of Happyness " is a very moving and interesting film that always leaves us a lesson of life , and as always well demonstrated by Mr. actor Will Smith.
  94. Apr 13, 2016
    The Pursuit of Happyness (Yes, it's incorrectly spelled on purpose) brings us the difficulties of Chris Gardner incredibly done by Will Smith. While Jaden Smith plays fine as his well along with a few others, there's nothing like seeing a title with a popular goof that was done on purpose.
  95. May 17, 2016
    There's not much to say. It was just a great and inspirational movie. I can't believe this actually happened in someone's life.

Watch it online for free: http://www.watchfree.to/watch-476-The-Pursuit-of-Happyness-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  96. Jul 26, 2016
    Both Will Smith and Jaden Smith did an amazing job. This movie gave me the feels. Beautiful, indeed. I don't understand why this movie only got a score of 64 while **** like Boyhood got a perfect 100. Makes absolutely no sense. What so ever, this movie is a must watch

1. It's a beautiful and understated performance, one that hums with a richer, quieter music than Smith has mustered before.
  2. This is a slick studio production with a huge movie star and top professionals occupying every production role so that the polish of this well-made film makes even homelessness look neat and tidy.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    The Pursuit of Happyness is more inspirational than creatively inspired -- imbued with the kind of uplifting, afterschool-special qualities that can trigger a major toothache.