6.5

1. Aug 25, 2014
    Helen Mirren as the present Queen Elizabeth II is one of the grandest acting experiences of all-time. I use the term "experience" rather than performance because she creates this new atmosphere in the role - which sucks you in immediately. Overall, a brilliant look at Great Britain and the Royal Family during the wake of Princess Diana's death. Bravo to Stephen Frears and Peter Morgan!
  2. PatL.
    Jun 6, 2007
    I wonder if the reviewers would have been less enamored of this film had it been someone other than Queen Elizabeth being portrayed. No argument: Helen Mirren was marvelous in capturing the subtleties and repressed feelings of her character, but to what end? It wasn't particularly interesting, and it certainly wasn't entertaining. To its credit, this film didn't "go I wonder if the reviewers would have been less enamored of this film had it been someone other than Queen Elizabeth being portrayed. No argument: Helen Mirren was marvelous in capturing the subtleties and repressed feelings of her character, but to what end? It wasn't particularly interesting, and it certainly wasn't entertaining. To its credit, this film didn't "go Hollywood" with the royal family, but a meandering trip to Dullsville is no better. Expand
  3. TonyB.
    Jul 6, 2007
    "The Queen" shows that in today's film industry there are still intelligent people who make intelligent motion pictures for intelligent audiences.
  4. Mary
    Jan 15, 2007
    I am amazed by the adulatory critics' reviews. Helen Mirren does a great job, of course, but she cannot single-handedly save the film. The screenplay is clumsy and the characters are all caricatures.
  5. HowardHughes
    Oct 15, 2006
    Horrible. No other word can describe this movie.
  6. GregB
    May 1, 2007
    The screenplay is dreadful. Helen Mirren is grossly overrated. It's really an embarrasing movie. Should have been on Lifetime channel. All characters are chariactures and totally unbelievable. Not the true story surrounding anyone.
  7. CruzNicole
    Oct 15, 2006
    Ugh!! If Helen Mirren wins Best Actress, I will kill myself.
  8. AbbyR
    Oct 20, 2006
    Helen Mirren is the only actor in this film. Weirdly boring to me.
  9. CathyH
    Feb 24, 2007
    Boring film, Kate Winslet ('Little Children'), Meryl Streep ('The Devil Wears Prada') or Penelope Cruz ('Volver') are much better than Mirren.
  10. RichardD.
    Jul 7, 2007
    A really boring film. Made for cardboard Brits. Not at all entertaining - I feel asleep 3 or 4 times and then turned it off. I won't be going back.
  11. WillyB.
    Nov 1, 2006
    So boring film! Helen Mirren does not deserve the Oscar Award at all. Kate Winslet ('Little Children'), Meryl Streep ('The Devil Wears Prada') or Penelope Cruz ('Volver') are much better than Mirren.
  12. LydiaM.
    Nov 1, 2006
    Frears is not a good filmmaker. Please do not see this film because it is an insult. Queen Elizabeth II is not like this.
  13. EmilyM.
    Nov 3, 2006
    I had to leave the theater before its ending. It is a horrible film, a false biography of Queen Elizabeth II. If Helen Mirren or the film win Oscar Award, I will be very disappointed.
  14. JuliaH.
    Nov 3, 2006
    Fantastic acting and fascinating exploration of the clash of modernity and tradition....
  15. AngeloMichaelo
    Dec 24, 2006
    What a piece of S**t!! This film is SO OVERRATED. The Queen is boring, stupid, ignorant and a lost of time, the acting of Mirren is good but not for an Oscar, please to all the critics READ (read important things) and if you want to see an excellent acting of Mirren look THE COOK, THE THIEF, HIS WIFE AND HER LOVER, that is a really Masterpiece, not this crap.
  16. FergieH
    Oct 25, 2006
    If we could only go less then zero!
  17. MikeG
    Oct 27, 2006
    A solid outing, but one of those movies the critics wet themselves over because 1) Helen Mirren, 2) it's British. 3) Helen Mirren playing Queen Elizabeth II. Don't get me wrong. It's a well crafted movie, with solid performances from Mirren and Sheen. But, for lack of a better word, it's a little wonky. There are no great insights into any of the characters. An A solid outing, but one of those movies the critics wet themselves over because 1) Helen Mirren, 2) it's British. 3) Helen Mirren playing Queen Elizabeth II. Don't get me wrong. It's a well crafted movie, with solid performances from Mirren and Sheen. But, for lack of a better word, it's a little wonky. There are no great insights into any of the characters. An enjoyable movie, in other words, but not the tour de force that some critics would have you believe it is. Expand
  18. A.S.
    Jan 21, 2007
    Helen Mirren is quite good, but I have to agree that the script didn't rise above the level of TV movie. And the whole stag bit was the most obvious and cringe-worthy movie metaphor of the year. And, in the end, who really cares about the relative popularity of the queen of England for a week of her life? Or for that matter what Tony Blair thinks about her?
  19. MalcolmM
    Jan 22, 2007
    Apart from the good acting, I'm puzzled as to why the movie got such great reviews. Only someone obsessed with the Royal family would find this movie interesting.
  20. BillF.
    Feb 24, 2007
    One of the most tedious films I've had to sit through in quite some time. The obsession with the British and their anachronistic monarchy shoud produce only yawns from what many refer to as "discernng viewers" . I saw it on a transatlantic flight and it actually put me to sleep. I used to adore Stephen Frears with his bold forays into homosexuaility, arsitocratic love and unsung One of the most tedious films I've had to sit through in quite some time. The obsession with the British and their anachronistic monarchy shoud produce only yawns from what many refer to as "discernng viewers" . I saw it on a transatlantic flight and it actually put me to sleep. I used to adore Stephen Frears with his bold forays into homosexuaility, arsitocratic love and unsung heroes but a film about how Tony Blair saved the British Monarchy is strictly trite and banal. Expand
  21. JarrodC.
    Nov 23, 2008
    Immensely boring. I can't understand how anyone's attention could be held for the 104 minutes of this movie. Sentimental pap. Helen Mirren can't save this dull, dire, dirge.
  22. StanS.
    Jan 9, 2008
    Some movies seem to exist simply in order to win awards. This i feel is one of those movies, and while i did think it did a good job showing why she responded the way she did it did not keep me interested.
  23. AustinV
    May 14, 2009
    I was forced to watch this on a plane, talk about a snorefest!
  24. LanceJ.
    Nov 27, 2006
    Boring and typical biopic. Penelope Cruz should win the Oscar and for Volver and not Helen Mirren.
  25. FamekNezzarazah
    Nov 5, 2006
    Hated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated HatedHated Hated Hated Hated Hated this movie. Expand
  26. MW
    Oct 22, 2006
    Lots of exposition, too much. The middle of the movie was more interesting though. Too much dialogue. We're tired of hearing you talk!!
  27. ParisA
    Oct 25, 2006
    God Awful. Waste of 12.50. Yes, 12.50. Isn't that ridiculous. Should have watched Little Children instead!
  28. FergieH
    Oct 28, 2006
    If we could only go less then zero!
  29. GavinW.
    Jan 27, 2007
    Honestly, when I went to this movie, i was expecting something really good. REALLY good. After about half an hour in, I wasnt just disappointed. I was astonished at how overrated it was. It completely oversimplified the Royalties, and really only told less than half the story. Nevertheless, this movie is still decent by all standards. It's rent worthy.
  30. RonB.
    Dec 23, 2006
    All hail 'The Queen'! Mirren gives an eerily accurate portrayal of Elizabeth, Queen of England. For the SECOND time this year! Well-directed by Frears.
  31. Jan 18, 2011
    You can't argue that Hellen Mirren performance wasn't top notch but the film was dull and never really caught my interest. Didn't care about Diana's death then (sad she died but I would be sad if anyone died) and don't care now either.
  32. Jul 1, 2013
    Perfect movie. Almost all the motion pictures show the point of view of other people, this one shows how Elizabeth II felt at those moments. And I think Mirrer won that Academy Award for an actual & incredible performance.
  33. Jen
    Jan 15, 2007
    Seriously...what? This movie is basically a "Lifetime Movie of the Week". I didn't see a lot of complexity in the performances...the people were presented as the stereotypes we have been fed through the press. We didn't really gain any insight into what makes the queen tick...I cannot understand why people are ooing and aahing over this.
  34. HalB.
    Jan 20, 2007
    Mirren's performance is fantastic, and Sheen's is very good... and the supporting cast is great... But unless you're really a "Diana-phile", you might be bored. The viewer is transported back a decade to the events surrounding her death; a fascinating take on the monarchy, the media and the Blair government. Worth seeing for Mirren's performance alone.
  35. PavleV
    Feb 27, 2007
    A movie much more suitable for Hallmark or Discovery as a semi-documentary movie. I see it as a pathetic attempt to improve the image of the Queen and Mr. Blair in the public. The only bright spot in the movie is Helen Mirren, whose acting is brilliant.
  36. PnArdyPnArdy
    May 13, 2007
    Brilliant emotional drama depicting the life behind the scenes and complex feelings of the English Queen and the royal family in the months following the death of princess Diana. Got Oscar.
  37. PatC.
    Jun 19, 2007
    Looks like it's still possible to make a good historical drama while the events that transpired are fresh and the characters involved are still alive. This movie did everything right and nothing wrong. Well crafted with an eye to historical accuracy and nuances of personality. It perfectly executed its concept, but that's as far as it went. It's refusal to depict more of Looks like it's still possible to make a good historical drama while the events that transpired are fresh and the characters involved are still alive. This movie did everything right and nothing wrong. Well crafted with an eye to historical accuracy and nuances of personality. It perfectly executed its concept, but that's as far as it went. It's refusal to depict more of the previous lives of the characters (including Diana) gives it a limited dimension which after a time begins to weigh on the eyelids. Expand
  38. ArielM
    Apr 8, 2009
    Hellen Mirren is stunning. I´ve never seen such a natural as well as deep interpretation, so delicate, balanced...just gorgeous.
  39. Lewis
    Oct 1, 2006
    If you like "By-the-numbers", Made for TV movies, this should be your thing. The film is a very unflattering portrait of Queen Elizabeth and is only good at showing one side of her character. I've read a lot about the Queen and the screenwriters failed to show her wit and sense of humor. Had they done that, it would have humanized her to the point where we could have believed in her If you like "By-the-numbers", Made for TV movies, this should be your thing. The film is a very unflattering portrait of Queen Elizabeth and is only good at showing one side of her character. I've read a lot about the Queen and the screenwriters failed to show her wit and sense of humor. Had they done that, it would have humanized her to the point where we could have believed in her character. There are a few scenes that seem 'thrown in' to make The Queen appear to be human but they feel like an afterthought (e.g. the scene where she cries a bit while watching a moose and her confession at the end where she admits that perhaps she might have misread the mood of the people). There's no back-story here and the deck is completely stacked against the Royals, vis-à-vis Diana. Perhaps if we saw a little of the negative side of Diana, that might provide a context for their indifference to her death. Why couldn't they get an actor who looks like Charles? He was just all wrong for the part--the only main character that didn't fit in. The actor who plays Tony Blair did a reasonable impersonation but we find out little about him except that he is a strong supporter of the Monarchy. Prince Philip's lines probably were the most interesting but he's also presented too much as a cold fish. Finally Helen Mirren is good at showing the 'tough' side of The Queen but is limited by the screenwriter's poorly balanced vision. Expand
  40. DavidF.
    Nov 7, 2006
    After 5 minutes, Helen Mirren had me convinced I was watching Queen Elizabeth herself. Great performance by the Tony Blair actor too!
  41. RodneyT
    Oct 22, 2006
    Brilliant
  42. JohnS.
    Dec 4, 2006
    Good subject matter, however the story is definately told by those in favor of Britain's Labor Party. The film tries to indoctrinate the viewer with the fact that Tony Blair and his minions are the only ones who "get it." The Royal Family has nothing more to do than to listen to their wise council and all will be well. After seeing this movie I can only wonder why the Royal Family is Good subject matter, however the story is definately told by those in favor of Britain's Labor Party. The film tries to indoctrinate the viewer with the fact that Tony Blair and his minions are the only ones who "get it." The Royal Family has nothing more to do than to listen to their wise council and all will be well. After seeing this movie I can only wonder why the Royal Family is now where they are and Tony Blair is now where he is. Helen Mirren's portrayal of the Queen is vastly overrated. Someone should have educated her as to how the Queen walks while in public. She does not look like someone wading upstream. Helen very much misses the mark on royal dignity. I was hoping for an impressive performance both in terms of characters and storyline. It did not appear. An accurately told story without the Labor self-righteousness would have been a worthwhile excercise. This was a disappointment. Expand
  43. J.T.
    Oct 25, 2006
    This is the most important film so far this year. It brings back the great sadness of the death of Princess Diana in such a powerful way. I remember the day the Princess of Wales died in that terrible car accident, I was young but it is a moment in time that will stick with you for life. Such emotion came over England... and the world. She was a princess to the people and when she was This is the most important film so far this year. It brings back the great sadness of the death of Princess Diana in such a powerful way. I remember the day the Princess of Wales died in that terrible car accident, I was young but it is a moment in time that will stick with you for life. Such emotion came over England... and the world. She was a princess to the people and when she was gone, the people suffered greatly. This movie shows what happened during the days of England's mourning inside Buckingham Palace. HM Queen Elizabeth II is a very interesting character and I was shocked to see how she behaves behind the scenes. She is an elegant, tasteful and powerful woman and Helen Mirren not only physically took on this character, but emotionally as well. Mirren became The Queen and gave an amazing performance that cries out for an Oscar. This film is definitely a great one and has Oscar written all over it. It has generated a ton of buzz, mostly over Mirren's stunning performance, and I could even very well see this film being nominated for Best Picture. Such an emotional film (emotional in a good way) that shows the true side of the Royal Family and the near-defeat of the Monarchy. Go see this movie, it's now playing in theatres. Expand
  44. Dave
    Oct 25, 2006
    Some of the comments on here really crack me up! "Weirdly boring"!? "Too much dialogue"? Huh? If you don't like dialogue, why not go watch one of the brainless Hollywood blockbusters? In any case, Helen Mirren was absolutely fantastic, almost a dead ringer for the Queen from voice to facial expressions. And yes, she is a shoe-in for an Oscar nomination. One thing the film showed me Some of the comments on here really crack me up! "Weirdly boring"!? "Too much dialogue"? Huh? If you don't like dialogue, why not go watch one of the brainless Hollywood blockbusters? In any case, Helen Mirren was absolutely fantastic, almost a dead ringer for the Queen from voice to facial expressions. And yes, she is a shoe-in for an Oscar nomination. One thing the film showed me was that the Queen was not the monster made out to be during the Diana incident. She simply did what she thought was right, but in the end realized she was wrong. Expand
  45. Alexi
    Oct 28, 2006
    This is obviously a polarising film. Personally I loved it for the intelligent wordy drama it was. If you were expecting different then you were not doubt disappointed. The contrast between the 2 families, old-school vs the modernisers, could not have been better drawn. The dialogue sparkled mixed with genuine scenes of poignancy. I never thought I'd find myself feeling sorry for the This is obviously a polarising film. Personally I loved it for the intelligent wordy drama it was. If you were expecting different then you were not doubt disappointed. The contrast between the 2 families, old-school vs the modernisers, could not have been better drawn. The dialogue sparkled mixed with genuine scenes of poignancy. I never thought I'd find myself feeling sorry for the woman but I did. It was completely believable. I'm English but was overseas when the big week happened so it was informative to see this through British eyes. Surely an oscar nod for Helen Mirren. I only wonder if the Queen has seen it. Expand
  46. StaciaM.
    Oct 30, 2006
    It's a totally new mix of docu-drama with superb acting by everyone involved. This is a very daring film to make with the Queen still alive, which I greatly admire.
  47. SuzC.
    Oct 7, 2006
    Helen Mirren was excellent!
  48. KenD.
    Jan 22, 2007
    Fair, just fair. Good acting, but lacks good editing!
  49. MitchA.
    Jan 28, 2007
    Outstanding film. The score is dead on. I love the portrayal of Tony Blair - if true, it restores my faith in liberal thought. And damn, Helen Mirren is hot!!
  50. BilB
    Jan 6, 2007
    Helen Mirren doesn't act, she becomes The Queen. Her performance has Oscar winning potential and my money is on Helen Mirren.
  51. WJD
    Jan 8, 2007
    Long live Helen Mirren. However, I have to wonder if this film would have been so critically acclaimed if the films of 2006 hadn't been so awful. An entertaining evening, an interesting story, but I fear I shall have forgotten all about it by the time Oscar ballots come by.
  52. MarkB.
    Feb 20, 2007
    If you had told me two years ago that the tragic death of Princess Diana, of all things, would provide the fulcrum for one of the smartest, sharpest, wittiest and most enjoyable comedies of manners in ages, my immediate and understandable response would've been to suggest that you either work less, rest more...or get started on that 12-step program immediately! But then I seriously If you had told me two years ago that the tragic death of Princess Diana, of all things, would provide the fulcrum for one of the smartest, sharpest, wittiest and most enjoyable comedies of manners in ages, my immediate and understandable response would've been to suggest that you either work less, rest more...or get started on that 12-step program immediately! But then I seriously underestimated Peter Morgan and Stephen Frears. They've crafted a superbly perceptive, immensely wise two-character study that, even if you have no interest whatsoever in any of the British royals, and snapped the radio dial over to the nearest alternative-rock station anytime that Elton John song came on, still has plenty to engage you on many levels. Put it this way: if you've ever, for reasons of workplace politics, expediency or just being in the minority to put through a policy that you personally disliked or disapproved of, then Queen Elizabeth's story is your story, too. Her preference here is to offer no official statement of grief or mourning after that car accident takes the life of "The People's Princess", but nationwide (and worldwide) public and media pressure overwhelmingly indicates the wisdom of compromise, and it's up to newly minted Prime Minister Tony Blair to try to resolve things. (When Elizabeth reminds Blair of all the Prime Ministers who've served under her, including that legendary tough old bird Winston Churchill, she might as well be telling him, "I eat Prime Ministers for breakfast," but as we'll soon see, the new guy is too smart and tenacious to be anybody's blue plate special.) The Academy Award ceremonies are shaping up to be more like Helen Mirren's coronation, and that's fine: the beauty of her portrayal is that while we understand and connect with her character's stubbornness on a human level, Mirren keeps Elizabeth's precise reasoning for not wanting to make too big a fuss over Princess Di (whether because she believes that to do so would demean the dignity of her office, sort of like the White House acknowledging Anna Nicole Smith, or because of her resentment of Diana having thrown everything back in her face, or because Elizabeth just plain doesn't like her) deeply locked within her heart; Mirren understands that no human being can COMPLETELY understand why another chooses to act a certain way. Unfortunately, Oscar didn't see fit to honor Michael Sheen with an equally richly deserved Best Supporting Actor nomination as Blair--a real missed opportunity because his warm, subtle and thoughtful portrayal is the perfect counterpart to Mirren. Blair's call for flexibility may have won the day, but in one of 2006's most stunning and unforgettable movie moments, Elizabeth prophetically warns him of the capriciousness of public approval, and that it can be yanked away from him suddenly and without warning at any time. The audible gasp that many members of my audience simultaneously uttered indicates that Morgan and Frears are as sharply attuned to the sad political realities of today as they are to those of 1997. Expand
  53. UnaL.
    Feb 4, 2007
    Super film (a Brit)
  54. Kate
    Feb 5, 2007
    I was ready to vllify this woman so removed from the bonds of normal responsibility and human sensitivity...but the film and Helen Millren makes her a victim as was her daughter in law...a victim of her 19th century upbrininging and a thousand years of tradition...bravo
  55. ChadS.
    Apr 7, 2007
    Some viewers of "The Queen" will heed Tracy Ullman's outcry and nod in agreement about those stubborn royals needing to defrost their collective upper lips and pay their respects to "the people's princess"; while the rest of us will take stock that Ullman's televised soapbox is beaming from Hollywood, California. The filmmaker used Ullman because her attitude is indicative Some viewers of "The Queen" will heed Tracy Ullman's outcry and nod in agreement about those stubborn royals needing to defrost their collective upper lips and pay their respects to "the people's princess"; while the rest of us will take stock that Ullman's televised soapbox is beaming from Hollywood, California. The filmmaker used Ullman because her attitude is indicative of an environment and industry, which encourages its denizens to display emotion, to cry on cue when the cameras are rolling. In my opinion, we're supposed to make the connection between this expatriate and the British people who queued up in front of Buckingham Palace with their bouquets and tear-streaked faces. This public display of grief is put on by people who seek the limelight, the film seems to be implying, just like those Hollywood notables who attended Princess Di's funeral. In a style befitting the late land-mine crusader's memory, well-wishers who wanted to truly honor Diana Spencer's memory, quite ironically, should've enacted the queen's way, the prudent way; which was to mourn in private, so as not to give the media something to shoot; the media who eventually killed her. "The Queen" is clearly on her majesty's side. In a crafty move on the filmmaker's part, we never get a reaction shot from the queen when she receives news of both, Princess Di's accident and death. It's uncertain who HRH Elizabeth II(Helen Mirren) is crying for as she waits for vehicular assistance in that riverbank, but at least the flowing water she temporarily rules over, like her tears, are real; they're private tears, unlike the crocodile tears shed by the media whores who purportedly cared about the late Princess Diana, a person they never even met. Expand
  56. Becky
    May 12, 2007
    I was very excited about seeing this movie because it had gotten such good reviews, but I was disappointed. The acting was great, some parts were great, but it took a lot of energy for me to not fall asleep.
  57. NickA
    May 18, 2007
    Helen Mirren is much loved here in the UK and has done some superb work most notably as the lead in Prime Suspect, she surpasses everything however with her brilliant portrayal as the Queen. The remaining cast give great support but its Helen Mirren who completely steals the show, as you watch this film you actually forget that shes an actress and begin to view the film as a fly on the Helen Mirren is much loved here in the UK and has done some superb work most notably as the lead in Prime Suspect, she surpasses everything however with her brilliant portrayal as the Queen. The remaining cast give great support but its Helen Mirren who completely steals the show, as you watch this film you actually forget that shes an actress and begin to view the film as a fly on the wall documentary with the actual Queen before you. Its because of this that I've given this a 10, HM is absolutely sensational. Expand
  58. ArmondA.
    May 2, 2007
    Movies don't get much better than this. And this comes from a guy who isn't much interested in "The Monarchy" or its most popular ex-member, the late Princess Diana. One does need to bring to the viewing some curiosity about the "abnormal" psychology of "Royalty". All of the cast, working with a brilliant script, bring us plausible portrayals of people living out an ornate Movies don't get much better than this. And this comes from a guy who isn't much interested in "The Monarchy" or its most popular ex-member, the late Princess Diana. One does need to bring to the viewing some curiosity about the "abnormal" psychology of "Royalty". All of the cast, working with a brilliant script, bring us plausible portrayals of people living out an ornate costume drama. It's a long-running show, with lifetime contracts for the players, and the question posed in this film is what the on-stage cast should do when an unscripted event intrudes on the set. The audience might applaud the poise of actors who carry on "regardless". Or they might be appalled when the old pros step around the real body that has plopped onto the set. Expand
  59. LindaD.
    Nov 11, 2006
    Thoughtful, fascinating film which takes its sweet time. Mirren's Elizabeth is touching and much more complex than much of the media would have us believe.
  60. TimothyL.
    Nov 10, 2006
    One of the best ever.
  61. BalkeY.
    Nov 12, 2006
    Remarkable performances. Genius of a script.
  62. MarkH
    Nov 12, 2006
    An average film, somewhat entertaining but not worthy of the critical hype.
  63. PattyF.
    Nov 15, 2006
    Excellent movie. Academy award worthy, both film and star Helen Mirren, as well as cinematography and costumes.
  64. JulianB.H.
    Oct 1, 2006
    This movie was awesome.
  65. DavidZ.
    Nov 3, 2006
    Just a wonderful film and a touching view of the Queen, albeit a less than flattering portrait of Philip. Is he really such as ass?
  66. PeterM.
    Nov 4, 2006
    This was an absolutely fabulous film; a piece of art. Hellen Mirren, and the rest of the cast were incredible.
  67. Enrique
    Oct 16, 2006
    Brilliant! Helen Mirren delivers an outstanding performance.
  68. JimG.
    Oct 16, 2006
    Wow. How refreshing to see a story that mostly succeeds in presenting characters (with the exception of Prince Phillip and the Queen Mum) with the same complexity as real humans. That is, people trying to make their way through life (in whatever station) based on what they know and have known. Whether fact or fiction, we can understand more than one point of view and appreciate Wow. How refreshing to see a story that mostly succeeds in presenting characters (with the exception of Prince Phillip and the Queen Mum) with the same complexity as real humans. That is, people trying to make their way through life (in whatever station) based on what they know and have known. Whether fact or fiction, we can understand more than one point of view and appreciate what's happening. Cromwell overacts his part when subtle arrogance could have done the work for him. As someone who was baffled by how personally some people took Diana's death, but who respects that grief (whatever its origin), I was glad to see there was no bias toward defending any particular viewpoint in the story. Hellen Mirren, per usual, does a wonderful job. Expand
  69. LloydR
    Oct 16, 2006
    Incredibly interesting look at a world event from behind the scenes. Presents complex public characters in ways the public never sees them. Terrific entertainment, would like to see this format for explaining other world events.
  70. StuartS.
    Oct 21, 2006
    This is one of the best films I have ever seen. The acting is magnificent. There are going to be some Academy Awards here. Do not miss it.
  71. JonnoR.
    Dec 2, 2006
    It's a very good look at the queen's life surrounding Dianna's death.
  72. KurtL.
    Dec 7, 2006
    Prince Charles is the "villain" in this story. I doubt if anybody is an authority on his true nature. But if being human is his crime...he is guilty like the rest of us. This is a compelling film about the institution that caused the revolution of 1776 and to this day remains as self-serving as ever.
  73. RyanL.
    Oct 30, 2006
    Oustanding! They make the Royal family seem as they actually are...real and feeling! Very Good!
  74. AnonymousMC
    Sep 27, 2006
    One of the best and liveliest movies of the year - funny and touching in ways you can't predict. Marvelous, and surprisingly intimate. Marvelous, and surprisingly intimate. Tradition and informality collide -- and mutually benefit -- in the deliciously written and expertly played The Queen. A fascinating mix of high-minded gossip and historical perspective, examines the clash ofOne of the best and liveliest movies of the year - funny and touching in ways you can't predict. Marvelous, and surprisingly intimate. Marvelous, and surprisingly intimate. Tradition and informality collide -- and mutually benefit -- in the deliciously written and expertly played The Queen. A fascinating mix of high-minded gossip and historical perspective, examines the clash of values -- of ritual and traditions versus media savvy and political ambition -- that leads to a crisis for the British monarchy. Helen Mirren's allure lies not in finding what's regal in every woman she plays, but in finding what's womanly in every royal. Expand
  75. MauriceFreeman
    Sep 28, 2006
    This a royal Pains
    that's how the British monarchy survived the death of the people's princess, i think that The Queen, which opens the New York Film Festival on Friday and goes into release the next day, is more fun than any movie about the violent death of a 36-year-old woman has a right to be. It's also as exotic an English-language picture as the season is likely to bring.
  76. RichardB.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Why is this movie so captivating and enchanting? Admittedly, the plot concept is simple, perhaps even banal -- but simplicity here is a virtue because it showcases Mirren's remarkable portrayal of QEII. The real strength of this film, however, is its depiction of candid, almost voyeuristic, moments plausibly inferred from external events that are timelessly seared into our psyches -- Why is this movie so captivating and enchanting? Admittedly, the plot concept is simple, perhaps even banal -- but simplicity here is a virtue because it showcases Mirren's remarkable portrayal of QEII. The real strength of this film, however, is its depiction of candid, almost voyeuristic, moments plausibly inferred from external events that are timelessly seared into our psyches -- all the more so because of the Queen's extreme penchant for personal privacy. The sympathetic characters validate this as a film that is both voyeuristic and friendly to its subjects, a combination we see infrequently in literature and film. There is, in the end, an uplifting outcome, though some inevitable sadness at the extent to which Princess Elizabeth whose engagement with the suffering of the British people during WWII made her a populist monarch in the early years of her reign had grown out-of-touch with modern public sentiment and the power of modern media -- mastery that Princess Di had represented up til her death. Expand
  77. DWilly
    Jan 23, 2007
    Somebody must stop this muddy bore of a juggernaut! Why, OH WHY, is everyone doing backflips over this modest at best biopic?
  78. Mike
    Jan 23, 2007
    Simply marvelous old bean. One couldn't do better oneself.
  79. ScottS.
    Jan 7, 2007
    Nearly perfect. Frears uses Blair to take the audience on a journey he clearly wants us to take, from questioning the need of the monarchy to recognizing its place in the world. Humane and complex, yet wholly accessible, it's the best film of the year.
  80. DanaM.
    Feb 18, 2007
    A well made movie, albeit fiction because we don't know the actual dialogue between the real characters. A little slow in the beginning but held our attention through the end. Excellent acting and filming. The contrast in personalities between Blair and the Queen was remarkable. Well worth the $10 to see it.
  81. VinceH.
    Feb 2, 2007
    A masterpiece in my opinion. I went into this film with little to no expectations except for the acclaim and reviews I read that the film had been getting. But by the end of the movie I was astonished at how brilliant it was. Stephen Frears more than deserved his Oscar nom for the movie and I am very happy he was nominated. From a directorial standpoint, it was incredibly filmed and A masterpiece in my opinion. I went into this film with little to no expectations except for the acclaim and reviews I read that the film had been getting. But by the end of the movie I was astonished at how brilliant it was. Stephen Frears more than deserved his Oscar nom for the movie and I am very happy he was nominated. From a directorial standpoint, it was incredibly filmed and realized. Mirren's acting is like a masterclass in and of itself (the only female perf. I saw all year that matched its complexity was Judi Dench in Notes on a Scandal) and Michael Sheen as Tony Blair also deserved a nomination as well. It is well known that British cinema had a fantastic year in 2006 and The Queen is first-rate evidence of that. Expand
  82. DoyleO.
    Feb 25, 2007
    Performances were great, but there just isn't much there to keep your interest. The entire 90 minutes is summed up in one line near the end and you are wondering why you just had to watch all that time to get that one idea.
  83. Rev.R.
    Feb 3, 2007
    For those only desiring exposure to the factual events following Diana's death, this is an outstanding movie and a monumental opportunity missed regarding human nature. Helen Mirren doesn't just act as the queen, she becomes the queen incarnate. Her performance should earn her an Oscar. Her character represents what happens to all of us over time. The values instilled in the For those only desiring exposure to the factual events following Diana's death, this is an outstanding movie and a monumental opportunity missed regarding human nature. Helen Mirren doesn't just act as the queen, she becomes the queen incarnate. Her performance should earn her an Oscar. Her character represents what happens to all of us over time. The values instilled in the formative years of life become so institutionalized they define who we are and dictate how we feel, or in this case, deny our emotions. Stephen Frears unveils over a week in the life of the monarchy a queen who feels far more deeply than her subjects can imagine. Mirren portrays the Queen as she is: a complex woman who is not easily pigeonholed. The viewer cannot determine if she feels the pain of Britain's grief over the loss of Diana, or the pain of rejection by her people. Frears powerfully employs a single moment in the wild to expose a queen who desperately wants to feel alive; yet it is obvious she feels emotionally disconnected, dead. Frears' use of imagery throughout the movie if profound; but especially in the events folllowing that moment in the wild,: the head of the nation has become disconnected. James Cromwell embodies that dispassionate death, spewing his narcissistic view of the world like a spitting cobra. Michael Sheen as Prime Minister Blair does an adequate job but is forced into the shadows by Mirren's performance. Still, Fears allows the natural course of events to set up a dramatic, and at times humorous contrast of Blair and the Queen. As the monarchy to which she has devoted her life suddenly reveals its impotence when faced with the raw emotion of grief, thus leaving the Queen confused and unprotected behind the walls of Balmoral and Buckingham Palace, Blair who began the week as the victorious progressive begins to deeply appreciate the value of Britain's history and tradition. Frears has given us a movie that reminds us that we need tradition, to know from where we've come; but, never to the point that the tradition becomes and end unto itself. The monarchy and its tradition is to serve her people especially in moments of pain and uncertainty. Therefore, Diana's death to Frears was not without meaning. It became the instrument through which England's two most powerful leaders discovered that truth. Expand
  84. JosephF.
    Feb 5, 2007
    Well-done acting, especially by Ms. Mirren, displaying the royal (lack of) emotion and English people's public display of emotions regarding the death of Princess Di. However, the royal distance is, ultimately, not engaging on this side of the Atlantic.
  85. BlisterfishC.
    Feb 6, 2007
    Best film I have seen in years. Captivating from the start. One can easily determine this picture was written from the head and heart in equal parts. Very well done indeed. Tony Blair is still a bit of a tosser.
  86. Ed
    Apr 26, 2007
    Superb acting but lousy content. Actually fell asleep.
  87. AnonymousMC
    May 14, 2007
    Anyone who does not like this film cannot appreciate cinematography as the art it truly should be. The screenplay is beautiful. The acting is amazing. Everything happens for a reason. So what that nothing happens? Art isn't about entertainment. Art is about being honest and getting at some sort of truth. The Queen does this beautifully.
  88. JorT.
    May 22, 2007
    This movie did a great job portraying the main events in the Diana tragedy. It has great acting and has both comedy and adds in the true problems that occurred. Overall it is very good.
  89. NickA.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Stephen Frears has caught much acclaim for his razor-sharp style of filming and his unwavering demand for his audience
  90. CarolD.
    Jul 12, 2007
    Excellent on all levels. I enjoyed it, was amused and I was touched by all of the characters and not just The Queen. Everyone did a magnificent job with a very difficult subject.
  91. JoannaD.
    Nov 13, 2006
    Helen Mirren is the queen of subtlety. The dammed-up emotion spilled out of her eyes and her body language. I was amazed at how she threw her whole self into every inch of her portrayal. Who is to say whether or not her pomp and circumstance ways are wrong in this shallow, celebrity driven society?
  92. MarieS.
    Nov 18, 2006
    AMAZING! Mirren deserves the Oscar.
  93. roberti.
    Nov 19, 2006
    Biopics usually suck the life out of the corpse. In this case, Helen Mirren, the cast, and the production reinvigorate and reinterpret contemporary events with power. Queen presents a kind of kinetic portraiture--of a person, her people, and an extraordinary time.
  94. DavidG.
    Nov 23, 2006
    In a world full of people taking sides, this movie successfully allowed me to understand and care about opposite minded characters. Subtle and rich performance by Mirren. Best movie I have seen in years.
  95. BrianF.
    Nov 4, 2006
    The viewer ratings here seem to be either 0 or 10... see this movie and decide for yourself. I feel Helen Mirren should have the Oscar. It's quite a performance. The movie is well written and Frears has done a teriffic job.
  96. HowardPhillips
    Oct 16, 2006
    A tour de force for Mirren. Performance of any year. Brisk dialogue. Witty. Great behind the scenes look at the Royals and 10 Downing Street.
  97. LaneG
    Nov 6, 2006
    Helen Mirren and Michael Sheen lead a perfect cast and the film was made with so much loving attention to detail that I was rapt from beginning to end. Stunning!
  98. JeffS.
    Nov 6, 2006
    I can't imagine why people would dislike the film so much, unless they only bought tickets because they confused it with The Marine. Hellen Mirren is great to watch, and the movie is fun and fast... though a small movie and intended as such. Not life changing, but entertaining and a change of pace from all the bigger movies as of late.
  99. LindaM.
    Dec 18, 2006
    Helen Mirren gave a powerfully nuanced impression of a living institution and historic personality. Michael Sheen is delightful as the twitchy and adoring new prime minister. It's easier to see how he could have become "Bush's poodle" in starting the Iraq invasion. I didn't expect the story to be so gripping that I forgot about the time.
  100. LawrenceM.
    Dec 23, 2006
    This film is fantastic because the acting is brilliant and it gives the public an insight to the royal family that we've actually never seen before. Whether or not it's a sincere portrayal of what actually happened during those days or not is a question for the ages. But as a motion picture (what this is, not a piece of political propaganda) it was wonderfully acted and the This film is fantastic because the acting is brilliant and it gives the public an insight to the royal family that we've actually never seen before. Whether or not it's a sincere portrayal of what actually happened during those days or not is a question for the ages. But as a motion picture (what this is, not a piece of political propaganda) it was wonderfully acted and the story was well told. Helen Mirren is an amazing and gifted actress. She takes on the role of Queen Elizabeth II and flies with it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Fascinating, funny, wicked and to the point, this is an excellent film about a week every Briton over the age of 15 will remember vividly.
  2. The Queen is the most reverent irreverent comedy imaginable. Or maybe it's the most irreverent reverent comedy. Either way, it's a small masterpiece.
  3. Reviewed by: Barbara Kantrowitz
    Marvelous, and surprisingly intimate.