Rogue Pictures | Release Date: April 27, 2012
6.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 112 Ratings
WATCH NOW
DanielOnFilmApr 29, 2012
The most I can say for it is that it has enough tension to hold interest, but it never thrills or fascinates. The ending does payoff, but barely. The Raven has just the lighting design it needs; Poe and company are drenched in dramaticThe most I can say for it is that it has enough tension to hold interest, but it never thrills or fascinates. The ending does payoff, but barely. The Raven has just the lighting design it needs; Poe and company are drenched in dramatic shadows. The dialog is filled with clever wordplay, but there's scant investment in those who speak it. The body count rises, but none of the victims receive an iota of development. There is blood, there is gore, but we've seen it all before. Full review on my blog. Expand
Andys_ReviewsMar 18, 2013
On the plus side, it’s a pretty well made film with all the technical stuff, costumes and sets done very well. On the downside, the dialogue is terrible with everyone trying to sound like they’re straight from a Poe story or poem; it reallyOn the plus side, it’s a pretty well made film with all the technical stuff, costumes and sets done very well. On the downside, the dialogue is terrible with everyone trying to sound like they’re straight from a Poe story or poem; it really didn’t work for me I’m afraid. This did have one positive side effect though; it gave John Cusack the opportunity to do some excellent scenery chewing over-acting; which I found quite funny in places. Sadly it’s a film that promised much but failed to deliver. I found I had no connection with any of the characters. I have not read much Poe and so I didn’t get many of the many nods to his work. Over all; quite disappointing.

SteelMonster’s verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED

My score: 5.3/10
BrandonBonaseraSep 30, 2012
As an Edgar Allen Poe fan, I thought The Raven was a stylish and enjoyable murder mystery, though the acting and the film itself could have been a little better.
A_NorthernerJul 24, 2013
I almost felt as disinterested in writing this review as I did watching the film so this will a short one. The Raven is an average film that never delivers anything above typical cat and mouse serial killer mediocrity. Director James McTeigueI almost felt as disinterested in writing this review as I did watching the film so this will a short one. The Raven is an average film that never delivers anything above typical cat and mouse serial killer mediocrity. Director James McTeigue (V for Vendetta) manages to create some darkly Gothic settings but it's all shamefully wasted as the narrative never gets its teeth into the audience. When the serial killer was revealed, it lacked any twist, shock or suspense of any form and this sums up the film's general lack of intrigue. While reading other reviews, I've seen mentions to Se7en and when you hold The Raven up against David Fincher's great serial killer film, you realise how wasteful The Raven is considering the Gothic setting and characters involved.

Leads John Cusack and Luke Evans perform admirably and the producers deserve a gold star for not casting Johnny Depp as Poe (shudder). If you are watching to see Alice Eve, you may be disappointed unless her being trapped in a coffin for the majority of the film is your idea of fun.
DarianApr 29, 2012
Visually competent., "The Raven" aspires towards high art but in terms of being an effective mystery, it sometimes moves too fast for a modern audience--unfamiliar with the setting--to catch up. It is not helped by a slack-jawed CusackVisually competent., "The Raven" aspires towards high art but in terms of being an effective mystery, it sometimes moves too fast for a modern audience--unfamiliar with the setting--to catch up. It is not helped by a slack-jawed Cusack enunciating his lines with less than perfect clarity. Inconstant tension and a weak resolution ensure that the film fails to realise its ambition. Expand
beth513Apr 30, 2012
While The Raven was not a great movie, it held my interest, & the critics are being particulary harsh, in my opinion. John Cusack is always worth the price of admission & his performance in this film holds up. It is a shame the other actorsWhile The Raven was not a great movie, it held my interest, & the critics are being particulary harsh, in my opinion. John Cusack is always worth the price of admission & his performance in this film holds up. It is a shame the other actors weren't given a bit more to do. Expand
SantiagoMAKiiNAMay 8, 2012
Let me break it out to you by guaranteeing that if you watch this movie you will be at a minimum entertained. Since films are made with that intention in mind, we could all agree that this production did their job exactly as expected.Let me break it out to you by guaranteeing that if you watch this movie you will be at a minimum entertained. Since films are made with that intention in mind, we could all agree that this production did their job exactly as expected.
Although, something has to be said for the collection of mockeries that continue to test our patience and make us feel like we've been robbed and laughed out of our hard earned cash. Yes. Don't look away. You know who you are... Grab a tub of popcorn, bring your favorite movie companion, sit down, and prepare yourself to have a decent time.
The premise is simple. Edgar Allan Poe, famous horror novelist of the time. You do know this is a period piece you are watching? 1800s? ... Ok. So, Poe's finals days on earth are a bit of a mystery, and Hollywood decided what better way for a famous horror novelist to spend those last few days of his life than to get entangled in his own horror fare. Brilliant. Yes? Obviously the guy didn't get enough of it in his factual life.
Our guy finds himself in the middle of what appears to be the endless pursuit of a criminal that uses Poe's famous novels as staging for fresh murders of his own. And, to make things a bit more edgy, the bad guy kidnaps Poe's bride to be moments before they're about to announce their engagement. Intense and puzzling. Definitely fun.
Since I'm a guy, I'm going to point out to my fellow men that this is not the kind of movie that's going to get you laid. John Cusack used to do those kinds of movies back when. But he's gone from holding a boom box like no one else could in "Say Anything" to becoming an irate alcoholic with a penchant for poetry and even a streak of suicide in this one... Well, I did tell you this movie won't get you laid.
Now, ladies, I do hear some of you find Mr. Cusack attractive. But if he's not your cup of tea, Luke Evans might just do the trick. He's a handsome foreigner from Wales that holds the eye.
Both actors do a good job at the act. Their roles are convincing and well written. It would be superfluous to give Cusack the extra credit for playing Edgar Allan Poe. A clearly challenging role. He's after all the movie star here and expected to get the film to recoup moneys invested. John! You got a few bills from me! Happy to oblige!
The rest of the ensemble played it well. Alice Eve looked fantastic as the lady in distress buried in a basement. Literally. She had a few choice words at the start. Even read some poetry here and there. But her talents were largely invested later on in the picture. Wearing a super tight bustier. Crying, sobbing, begging and screaming from under a pile of dirt. I ran this by an actor friend of mine and he did confirm it is a tough gig to do all that nonsense while laying flat on a hard wood-plank set for 12 hours straight. So, props to you Miss Eve. It looked fantastic from where I was sitting.
In fact, I was pleased to see her role was written as a tough chick. There are moments when she actually shows more balls than the largely depressed Mr. Poe, who is supposed to come rescue her. You have to love a tough chick! Right?
Brendan Gleeson is worth a mention. For some reason I particularly liked his character. The tough old man that came this far in life. Money. Power. A great -looking beard. And his daughter gets the crap end of the stick. I mean, aren't all parents expected to have their daughters date broke alcoholics with irate tendencies and fans with criminal intent? You see where I'm going with this... But Mr. Gleeson was as convincing as his role firm. When I grow up and get old, probably should say older, can I be just like Gleeson's character? Tough as nails!
I am partial to mysteries done a certain way. What can I say, I like beef medium rare. Not any other way.
The story line, however interesting, it follows a chain of events that unfold one after the other in a consequential manner as presented in the screen. With no hope from the audience to anticipate much of what will happen next. Personally, just like my steak, I like to see where my story might end up. I want to feel half intelligent and be presented with clues that allow me to participate in the crime solving. Just so I feel a bit smarter leaving the theater. Not that I would be. But a little pretense is nice sometimes. Specially having made a monetary investment in the viewing.
Some of you out there, though, like to sit down and eat whatever is served without expectation or involvement. un-plug completely, if you will. In that case, you are in the right theater. This is that film. The puzzle of crimes and locations and little clues and fantastic mask balls and horse chasing in the beautifully photographed mist is quite cool to watch. So, as I said. I'll reiterate. It will all be very entertaining... And that's it.
btempMay 23, 2012
Incredibly boring movie that has many plot and filming flaws. Its a significantly watered down Sherlock Holmes that leaves you neither caring for the victim or the villain - quite seriously. At no point do you go... hmm, who is this badIncredibly boring movie that has many plot and filming flaws. Its a significantly watered down Sherlock Holmes that leaves you neither caring for the victim or the villain - quite seriously. At no point do you go... hmm, who is this bad guy? Also, Cusack plays a bad alcoholic. I hate to say this, but he could take lessons from Downey Jr. Expand
Apemonkey666Aug 18, 2012
Basically a whodunit where Poe and an inspector need to find a copycat killer who brings the Poe stories to life. It all sounds better on paper or in your imagination than what you eventually get on the screen. Cusack does a fine job as PoeBasically a whodunit where Poe and an inspector need to find a copycat killer who brings the Poe stories to life. It all sounds better on paper or in your imagination than what you eventually get on the screen. Cusack does a fine job as Poe and as always the movie is well made, good cinematography, nice sets and costumes and all this for a meager 26m$. A good 2 hrs entertainment but not as good as McTeigue's debut 'V for Vendetta'. Raven feels like it had potential that was not fully realized. Expand
BrianMcCriticMar 17, 2013
This movie seemed like a good concept, the key word is seemed. Don't get me wrong I was entertained in certain parts, but a poor script pulls this movie down.
reconplayer9037Oct 20, 2014
While this movie certainly has it's flaws, it is not without some enjoyment. The plot is only sloppy once, the rest is actually quite enjoyable. I recommend it, but watch it knowing what your walking into it.