The Relic

8.9

1. NickB.
    Mar 2, 2006
    Not bad for another "large inherently nasty predator that eats scientists" movie. Not a perfect translation of the book....where is Penderghast, for example? But far better than I expected, and superior to recent efforts in the same genre such as "The Cave." The cinematography, clever lighting, and surprisingly robust score add to the experience of a movie that could have been very, very Not bad for another "large inherently nasty predator that eats scientists" movie. Not a perfect translation of the book....where is Penderghast, for example? But far better than I expected, and superior to recent efforts in the same genre such as "The Cave." The cinematography, clever lighting, and surprisingly robust score add to the experience of a movie that could have been very, very bad in different hands. Just forget it's based on the book and enjoy for its own merits. Expand
  2. RomsieM
    Mar 12, 2005
    This great well done fun! Better than some of the big-budget big-name pap that we put up with from Hollywood every year. Peter Hyams' movies are always a great watch - "Narrow Margin" *ing Gene Hackman, "Outland" *ing Sean Connery, "The Star Chamber" *ing Michael Douglas, to name a few. "Relic" has quite a bit to recommend it - the chemistry between Tom Sizemore & Penelope Ann Miller This great well done fun! Better than some of the big-budget big-name pap that we put up with from Hollywood every year. Peter Hyams' movies are always a great watch - "Narrow Margin" *ing Gene Hackman, "Outland" *ing Sean Connery, "The Star Chamber" *ing Michael Douglas, to name a few. "Relic" has quite a bit to recommend it - the chemistry between Tom Sizemore & Penelope Ann Miller for one. Linda Hunt is pretty cool as well. Expand
  3. Dec 9, 2014
    I love it!! is my childhood!! the people need to understand between the book and the movie always is so different!! I love the soundtrack by John Debney and the cq efects in that time, come on we talk about 10 years ago!!

1. Much like the DNA-scrambled beast to which the title alludes, this film is a chimerical chop-shop product, consisting mostly of spare parts pulled from Alien, Jurassic Park, and even The Ghost and the Darkness.
    But Peter Hyams, who's both director and director of photography, forces us to constantly strain to see what isn't there, until ultimately the screen explodes in welcome light, a cathartic finale in broad visceral terms even if the drama hasn't inspired much emotion.
    All of this is actually a lot of fun, if you like special effects and gore.