The Road

7.6

1. Aug 12, 2015
    Mundane post-apocalyptic tear-jerk that has nothing to offer other than a couple of alright scenes which get solved with asspulls
    Don't watch if you're expecting something that would actually happen, as it's clearly something that didn't have any thought put into it other than "we maek guy die it be sad pepol wil cry and raet 10/10"
    Watch Threads instead
  2. Apr 27, 2015
    stupid annoying boy ruins the movie. movie does not make any sense at many points: all vegetation has been destroyed for like 10 years or so, but there are leaves on the floor everywhere and bushes and stuff
  3. Dec 7, 2014
    It is, for me, a beautifully made film, scary, gripping and quite frankly the bleakest bloody thing I've ever watched, but it will, no doubt, leave you drained and empty for days afterwards, and in addition, it's not a film I'd be so excited to watch again, with the knowledge of how I'd feel afterwards. But in the time I watched it, I was able to acknowledge the brilliance of it, and IIt is, for me, a beautifully made film, scary, gripping and quite frankly the bleakest bloody thing I've ever watched, but it will, no doubt, leave you drained and empty for days afterwards, and in addition, it's not a film I'd be so excited to watch again, with the knowledge of how I'd feel afterwards. But in the time I watched it, I was able to acknowledge the brilliance of it, and I should say most definitely it's a film plenty of people may love to watch again. Expand
  4. Aug 24, 2014
    Frankly, I was disappointed after seeing this movie. It seemed to drag on forever, and the trailer didn't really give the right idea about the film itself.

Maybe the book is better, who knows. All in all the acting was decent, which is good since this was a view into the struggle of humans when the world is coming to an end. (At least that is what I think was going on, or something

Maybe the book is better, who knows.

All in all the acting was decent, which is good since this was a view into the struggle of humans when the world is coming to an end. (At least that is what I think was going on, or something like that; they never told what happened, and while that was clever, it was also very annoying.)

Viggo Mortensen was raw, no other way to put it. No great acting, but that wasn't needed to portray the desperation and hurt that followed him everywhere in the movie.

I liked the theme of the movie: the new rules of survival, the embracing of death as an escape, the fear, the drive to find hope and save what is left of your life - mainly the son of Mortensen's character; he describes that his son is like a God to him, and if he would be gone, nothing else would matter anymore.

The movie was raw, confusing, dark and oozing with pain from end to beginning. Sudden flashbacks added to the chaos of it all, and the brutality in what a human needs to do to survive makes one shudder just a little inside. That part was no fiction.

Not necessarily a movie I will be watching again - other than for inspiration.
  5. Jun 3, 2014
    Bare pass for this movie. Very depressing fare without even the smallest glimmer of hope basically. Good strong acting from the lead didm't raise it much due to the overwhelming weight of the script. Absolutely leaden in places. I don't think there is another film out there that is darker in terms of theme. I don't recommend this movie much. Probably has big fans in people who think thatBare pass for this movie. Very depressing fare without even the smallest glimmer of hope basically. Good strong acting from the lead didm't raise it much due to the overwhelming weight of the script. Absolutely leaden in places. I don't think there is another film out there that is darker in terms of theme. I don't recommend this movie much. Probably has big fans in people who think that half decent SF like Aeon Flux were awful. Even if AF was based on a cmic it was still better than this black napkin of a movie. Expand
  6. Feb 16, 2014
    This would be a great movie if it wasn't for the whiniest brat, worst written child in the history of movies.

Hey movie writers! A little tip. A child will not act like whiny little brat in extreme situations. Ever been to Mexico and seen a 12 year old running a taco truck? Ever seen a kid from any 3rd world country act like a little **** when the chips are down? Children will grow

Children will grow up very quickly in hardship. This child is written like he's living in a suburb and can't have his xbox. Pathetic writing.
  7. Apr 28, 2013
    Dumb movie, the kid is gay and i wanted all along to choke him with my bare hands, he wouldn't survive 5 min without hes father and yet he wants to spread love in a cannibalistic post apocalyptic world, of course at the end of the movie the producers conveniently avoid putting him in harms way situation by making him meet a good guy, but we all know that such gay and useless prick will endDumb movie, the kid is gay and i wanted all along to choke him with my bare hands, he wouldn't survive 5 min without hes father and yet he wants to spread love in a cannibalistic post apocalyptic world, of course at the end of the movie the producers conveniently avoid putting him in harms way situation by making him meet a good guy, but we all know that such gay and useless prick will end up raped and eaten in a true post apocalyptic world Expand
  8. Sep 3, 2012
    The movie was gripping, but it was just too depressing to watch because it was really boring and dull and dark at times. There is no possible way I can actually say I enjoyed the movie or even thought provoking.
  9. BennyM
    Dec 24, 2009
    Well crafted film overall but a bit choppy at certain points and some unexplainable character shifts. Viggo Mortensens acting itself was great but the film failed to properly demonstrate his progression. The sons acting was a bit stale but Robert Duvall stole much of the show in a very well done scene. Weak, depressing themes stressed too much over actual substance.
  10. Jose
    Dec 20, 2009
    If you were a fan of the book then you'll enjoy the move, everyone else should proceed with caution.
  11. MaxL
    Dec 4, 2009
    A long bore with some plot holes that didn't explain some of the action of the father, a man who'd been careful not to put himself and the son in danger. The production design was good, the acting good to great, but the story is just not quite there. When the movie can be summed up by Robert Duvall in his 5 minutes scene of remembrance, it failed its intention.
  12. Dave
    Dec 3, 2009
    I agree with Hoberman that this was essentially a pale imitation of Children of Men, which was a far superior film in my opinion. I will give it points though for the realistic landscape depicted.
  13. MikeB
    Dec 1, 2009
    I loved the book but was disappointed by this adaptation. The performances were good (OK, Viggo and Duvall were both great) but the music and the CGI skies grated on me. It's not that it's too bleak, it's that it wasn't bleak enough. Too many flashbacks to Charlize that just felt focus grouped. The book is uncompromising, but the film has been compromised.
  14. paul
    Nov 30, 2009
    Rushed to the theaters to capitalize on the success of "no country for old men" despite the lack of a worthy director or screenwriter. redefines terrible child acting. amazing cinematography that ultimately doesn't save this soulless disappointment.
  15. Steve
    Nov 29, 2009
    Bleak, gritty, discouraging to be sure, but mostly just slow and dull.
  16. JimS
    Nov 27, 2009
    A dark and depressing drama that treads into the horror genre. Bleak doesn't begin to describe the lifeless landscape in which survivors scratch and claw the depths of their humanity. Absent any glimmer of hope -- even the ocean has turned gray -- life is reduced to a masochistic exercise. Too dark, even for this dark-movie lover.

1. Evocative as it is, The Road comes up short, not because it’s bleak but because it’s monotonous.
    This might just be a tad too grueling and bleak for everyone’s liking, but it’s a Road that’s definitely well worth traveling.
  3. Director John Hillcoat has performed an admirable job of bringing Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel to the screen as an intact and haunting tale, even at the cost of sacrificing color, big scenes and standard Hollywood imagery of post-apocalyptic America.