The Room

5.3

1. Jul 5, 2012
    In one word: Wow. This film is just... It gets everything wrong. The acting is wrong, the writing is wrong, the directing is wrong, but it makes this film so much of a laugh that it just catches me off guard every time with clips on Youtube, like the infamous flower shop scene or the part on the roof with Mark. There isn't anything I can really say about this movie which hasn't alreadyIn one word: Wow. This film is just... It gets everything wrong. The acting is wrong, the writing is wrong, the directing is wrong, but it makes this film so much of a laugh that it just catches me off guard every time with clips on Youtube, like the infamous flower shop scene or the part on the roof with Mark. There isn't anything I can really say about this movie which hasn't already been said about it, but with friends this film is less of something to avoid, but something of near infinite hilarity, with moments so funny you will have to pause the movie just so you can watch it normally again, utterly laughable moments are almost constant too, not just the odd few clips you see around the web, the WHOLE movie is like this. If you have some friends and stuff around, you cannot pass this movie up if they all find those little clips of the film funny, despite how bad it is, I would watch it with a group of friends any time, I would rate it lower for being an absolute abomination of a film, but its just so laughable that I can grant it a four. Expand
  2. Apr 29, 2014
    In terms of quality its a 1/10. Everything about this movie is poorly done. But, in terms of enjoyment its a 9 or a 10. Its easily one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. So I give it a 5. There ya go.
  3. Feb 19, 2012
    I'm only giving it a five because even though it's absolutely hilarious, it is still a very horrible film. Everything is done wrong. The acting, story, pacing, direction, writing, editing and cinematography are ridiculously bad but the irony is that its numerous amount of flaws makes this film unintentionaly funny. The best thing about this movie is Tommy Wiseau, the director, producer,I'm only giving it a five because even though it's absolutely hilarious, it is still a very horrible film. Everything is done wrong. The acting, story, pacing, direction, writing, editing and cinematography are ridiculously bad but the irony is that its numerous amount of flaws makes this film unintentionaly funny. The best thing about this movie is Tommy Wiseau, the director, producer, the writer and the main star. He is probably the worst actor to ever grace films but his bad acting is just hypnotizingly fascinating to watch. Only watch this film solely because while it takes itself seriously, it completely backfires and becomes an unintentionally hilarious bad film instead of a proper film and if you do, you will get a laugh out of it. Expand
  4. Aug 19, 2011
    Say What you want about The Room it surly isnt for everyone but even thought the acting is Bad the movie will Provide Laughs and is Entertaining Enough to keep you watching and it definatly isnt a Great movie but it is One of The Best of Th Worst
  5. May 9, 2015
    Ridiculously bad acting, terrible plot, and a man who can barely speak English despite being from the US all come together to create the best bad movie ever.

The only way Tommy Wisaeu knows how to transition a scene is to have a character walk out of a door. This is seen several times in the film as characters walk in a door, then 45 seconds into them being there, declare that they have to go, and leave. Most scenes end in characters walking out of doors.

You can hear the creepyness in Tommy Wiseau's voice, character, and dialogue. He sounds like he can barely speak english, pronouncing world like "worild".
    Johnny, the main character, is almost always seen in a black suit with a loosened tie. Johnny is has long, black hair, that always appears to be the same.

Most characters in the film express their affection towards Johnny. Close friends talk about how he's their favorite friend, mothers talk about how he is a great person, and store owners tell him that he is their favorite customer. Oddly enough Tommy Wisaeu (who plays Johnny) wrote the script.

Then comes the sex scenes. Overall, about 1/9 of this movie is sex scenes. They come in at random and unneeded times, sometimes lasting up to 3-4 minutes. (Funnily enough, the 2nd sex scene was made up of unused clips from the first due to the girl being too uncomfortable to record more).

Overall it was a terrible movie, but a must watch. It's that bad movie that you watched just to laugh at.
  6. May 17, 2015
    It's alright I suppose. Saw it in a big theater with a bunch of other people and I've seen it about 4 times total. Pretty funny with some good lines thrown in. Gave me a chuckle.
  7. May 7, 2014
    Tommy Wiseau's masterpiece of awfulness, his symphony of confusion, his compilation of true cinematic terror, takes the cake for "Best Worst Movie Ever". The movie is just so bone-chillingly, rage-inducing-ly dismal that it becomes funny after a while. You have to wonder how a movie like this could ever be made. And the fact that Wiseau was serious when he made this picture makes it allTommy Wiseau's masterpiece of awfulness, his symphony of confusion, his compilation of true cinematic terror, takes the cake for "Best Worst Movie Ever". The movie is just so bone-chillingly, rage-inducing-ly dismal that it becomes funny after a while. You have to wonder how a movie like this could ever be made. And the fact that Wiseau was serious when he made this picture makes it all the more entertaining. This is "The Godfather" of bad movies. I would give it a 0/100, and a 100/100 at the same time, so I'll meet it halfway. Expand
  8. Jul 29, 2014
    One of the worst movies I have ever seen. And that makes it one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. The acting is so wooden. The script so silly. The camera isn't that bad to be honest. The only reason I am not rating this higher, is because there are parts that are so bad they are just horrible. If you are making this movie, watch this movie so that you know that at lest you areOne of the worst movies I have ever seen. And that makes it one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. The acting is so wooden. The script so silly. The camera isn't that bad to be honest. The only reason I am not rating this higher, is because there are parts that are so bad they are just horrible. If you are making this movie, watch this movie so that you know that at lest you are doing something right. Expand
  9. Feb 1, 2016
    The room is so bad it's good but it isn't a masterpiece because of it but if you enjoy movies of this quality, get your hands on it. Tommy Wiseau is just completely clueless on how to direct movies but it's hilariously bad which prevents it from being any worse in my opinion.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Chicago Sun-Times
    Reviewed by: Bill Stamets
    Aug 4, 2014
    You can laugh at lines like: "Hey, everybody, let's go inside and eat some cake"; "Leave your stupid comments in your pocket!"; "Man, I just can't figure women out. Sometimes they're just too smart. Sometimes they're flat out stupid. Other times they're just evil." In Wiseau's worldview, if "The Room" were a woman, she wouldn't be "evil" or "too smart." That leaves "flat-out stupid." [12 Feb 2012, p.B2]
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    May 30, 2011
    The Room marks the writing-directing-acting debut of Tommy Wiseau, who's not just one of the most unusual looking and sounding (with an unidentifiable Eastern European accent) leading men ever to grace the screen, but a narcissist nonpareil whose movie makes Vincent Gallo's "The Brown Bunny" seem the apotheosis of cinematic self-restraint.