Cohen Media Group | Release Date: January 27, 2017
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 232 Ratings
Watch Now
alireza010Feb 27, 2017
wow perfect.The best film I ever saw really wish to congratulate Mr. Farhadi and practitioners, as well as the whole community and the people of Iran in hopes of more success.
Ali_MarashianJan 27, 2017
The Salesman, may not be as revolutionary as A Separation, but it's still a piece of magic that shows how powerful storytelling can be( thanks to Asghar Farhadi), and it's undeniably moving, from start to finish. Great performances by ShahabThe Salesman, may not be as revolutionary as A Separation, but it's still a piece of magic that shows how powerful storytelling can be( thanks to Asghar Farhadi), and it's undeniably moving, from start to finish. Great performances by Shahab Hosseini and Taraneh Alidousti, this masterpiece is destined to become a classic in Iranian Cinema, in which I hope we see more of AsgharFarhadi- like directors. Expand
TVJerryFeb 6, 2017
One of this year's Oscar entries for Best Foreign Film comes from Iran and writer/director Asghar Farhadi, who won the award for "The Separation." It starts as a couple is forced to evacuate their apartment and move into a new building. WhenOne of this year's Oscar entries for Best Foreign Film comes from Iran and writer/director Asghar Farhadi, who won the award for "The Separation." It starts as a couple is forced to evacuate their apartment and move into a new building. When they return home from their production of "Death of a Salesman," an unfortunate incident launches the drama with grief and suspicion. In American hands, this would be a high-pitched angry drama, but in the apprehensive culture of Iran and the underplayed style of the director, it's rendered as a more sober experience. There's virtually no music. The pacing is deliberate. Tension rises slightly during the compelling final encounter, but it remains emotionally subdued. This film provides interesting cultural insights and subtle performances, but the meandering pace requires patience. Expand
BHBarryFeb 12, 2017
“The Salesman”, an Iranian film, written and directed by Asghar Farhadi, has been nominated for Best Foreign Film in this year’s upcoming Academy Awards presentations. This is a film worthy of such an honor as its stars, Shabab Hoosini and“The Salesman”, an Iranian film, written and directed by Asghar Farhadi, has been nominated for Best Foreign Film in this year’s upcoming Academy Awards presentations. This is a film worthy of such an honor as its stars, Shabab Hoosini and Taraneh Alidoosti, portray a married couple involved in live theater as they perform the play within the play, i.e. “Death of a Salesman” ( hence the film’s title). In most cases dialogue in a foreign language with English titles can be a significant obstacle for an audience to properly enjoy a film’s value and worth but such is not the case here. The well written script, the delicate and sensitive directing and the superb acting make this a suspenseful, intense and important viewing experience. I give the film an 8.0 rating for, as any salesman will tell you, a quality product sells itself. Expand
KakozoFeb 13, 2017
An awesome masterpiece made by the mighty hands of Asghar Farhadi, One of the best directors of the century...
It amazingly makes you emotional and confused...
I'm sure that we all asked ourselves "What would I do if I were Emad?" I Think it
It amazingly makes you emotional and confused...
I'm sure that we all asked ourselves "What would I do if I were Emad?"
I Think it is a movie that has to be seen by every culture!
netflicFeb 6, 2017
I had very high expectations regarding this movie from Iranian director Farhadi whose film “Separation” I loved.

"The Salesman" is a phycological drama about violence, love, revenge, inequality between men and women in Iranian society based on shame and honor, and many other things. We need to keep in mind that Farhadi had to use Aesopian language to let his film pass Iranian censorship. There are many episodes in this movie that are meaningful and symbolic but they are too ambiguous to know what exactly did Farhadi mean.

For instance, when a window glass is cracking, does it mean a family in distress or a society falling apart?

It could be either, or both.

The movie seemed a bit too long for me, and I did not like that it was shot by hand-held camera. But obviously, Farhadi is a master of filmmaking. I do not think this movie is his best but I will see it again, and maybe more than once.
haNiatiFeb 27, 2017
The salesman shows us the terrible theater that at backstage and onstage has the same story with the difference that backstage story is far more terrible than onstage story; we are all salesman, men or women. Why is this; where men are cawsThe salesman shows us the terrible theater that at backstage and onstage has the same story with the difference that backstage story is far more terrible than onstage story; we are all salesman, men or women. Why is this; where men are caws women either Rana or deer. Expand
mhm_1371Jan 27, 2017
Gradually
(highly recommended to read these two plays before watching this movie 1.Cow by Gholam Hossein Saedi and 2.Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller)
Gradually
The salesman is really breathtaking and it has all the familiar factor of farhadi’s movies with a big difference that there is not any sign of those open ends anymore and you associate with the main character of movie more than any time.
The story is about a young couple (Emad and Rana) who are performing at Arthur Miller’s play Death of a salesman. They have to move to another apartment because their apartment is going to collapse. This moving cause a serious issue in their life because of the old tenant.
In the beginning of the film when Emad_ with brilliant performance by Shahab Hosseini_ and his students was reading saedi’s play Cow, one of his student asked him “Sir,How does a man become cow?” Emad answered: “gradually”. This question and Emad’s answer are the main theme of this movie.
Farhadi has used some part of the play Death of a Salesman in his movie masterfully and he has chosen Emad for the Willy’s role in order to show and emphasize how Emad gradually got far away from his family or even his wife just like willy.
The last twenty minutes of film are really breathtaking and the spectators associate with Emad more than anytime and I think they regularly ask themselves “if I were him, what would I do?”
The salesman is a story about revenge or with accurate express is a story about the motivation of revenge.
This story like another fahadi’s movies occurs in a family and effects family members.
After A separation and now with the salesman Farhadi can be considered as a great master in directing suspenseful family drama like Hitchcock.
The salesman (Asghar Fahadi)(2016)
By Hossein Aghaee
Shakib_SheikhiFeb 26, 2017
Although Farhadi has some noteworthy Cinematic ideas throughout the movie, it is limited to those ideas and does not constitute a movie as a whole.
Using a stage for playing Miller’s “death of a salesman” is one of those notable ideas which provide us a possibility to watch how the lives of people is in some degree just a show and the distinction between the show and the real life is of critical matters of modern life. The other notable idea is a well-illustrated three-dimensional interior space of buildings in both opening and ending sequence of the movie which has a lot to say about how each character is related to the other and to the social life as some sort of a “big other”.
The script of the movie is highly engineered which makes somehow annoying and unbelievable; the set of items left behind by the intruder is just one of them. This all could be neglected if we could pursue the movie but the #1 thing on the “cons” column of this movie is lack of characterization of the woman (Ra’na) which lives us with our pre-existing judgments about the human emotions and society to help us sympathizing with her, or have any meaningful relation with her situation what so ever; and this makes “the salesman” a mediocre film.
MaggothFeb 21, 2017
Asghar Farhadi once again proves that he is perfectly able to dismount any kind of human relations. The tension grows with each shot, with the grande finale leaving us devastated by the sole revelation that small mistakes can lead toAsghar Farhadi once again proves that he is perfectly able to dismount any kind of human relations. The tension grows with each shot, with the grande finale leaving us devastated by the sole revelation that small mistakes can lead to unrepairable tragedies. Expand
GreatMartinMar 13, 2017
The only reason I can come up for “The Salesman” winning the best foreign film Oscar was the Academy members voting for it because the director, ASghar Farhadi refused to come to the USA in protest of Trump’s immigration executive order!
The
The two leads, Shahab Hosseini and Taraneh Alidoosti, play actors appearing in a stage show of Arthur Miller’s “Death of a Salesman” and are shown at the theatre performing in front of audiences. Why? I don’t know, except maybe to give the film a title, as it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the film or what takes place. Yes I can give a farfetched explanation regarding the famous line from the play, “Attention must be paid” but that is farfetched!
The film opens with the couple having to move because their building may collapse and sets up for the assault that takes place and brings in a character, Babak Karimi, an actor who works with the husband and wife in the play who may or may not be the assaulter. Also the assault may or may not have included rape.
There were a total of 5 seconds that aroused my interest in the film; the first being where, because of Iranian culture where the movie takes place, a character in the play is suppose to be in a revealing negligee the actress is fully dressed and the second is when someone is slapped unexpectedly.
“The Salesman” runs a little over 2 hours and you can find better things to do with those 2+ hours.
mejzamFeb 12, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't even imagine this movie got nominated for Oscar. This movie is far behind "A Seperation" or "About Elly". The plot is a real mess. It is more like a comedy than a drama. An old man suffering from cardiac disease, who cannot even climb the stairs, is the rapist one! Moreover it contains many scenes (such as those in theatre) which cannot help you to understand the movie and lacks many scenes which could help you to understand the movie. At the end, the director wants you to forgive and pity the old man who raped Rana (or at least wanted to rape) and cheated on his wife for no reason! What a logic! Expand
AlteMar 24, 2017
The Academy members who voted to give this film an oscar are intellectual midgets. Well, that's stating the obvious, because the whole world knows of their mediocre calibre and their self-conscious and self-righteous, pathetic politicalThe Academy members who voted to give this film an oscar are intellectual midgets. Well, that's stating the obvious, because the whole world knows of their mediocre calibre and their self-conscious and self-righteous, pathetic political 'correctness'. The only reason i landed up to see this film was the false impression my friend at work gave me that it was the screen adaptation of Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman. The minute i saw all those bearded men and scarved women, i realised my mistake! I never want to see another film from an islamic country because i do not want to legitimise their daily, aggressive actions and symbolisms that declare male superiority over female and islamic superiority over 'infidels'. I don't want to ever act as if this kind of brazenness can be normal behaviour for humans. And the only reason I signed up at this site was to give a thumbs-up to the review of GreatMartin and Shakib_Sheikhi below, the only 2 out of 14 reviews here that I found credible. Btw, this is an idiot site that led me out and away from this review page for verification and registration but did not have the courtesy to bring me back here, instead taking me to their other irrelevant pages. I had to get back here using my search history! Expand
kathytreeceMar 9, 2017
What an emotional, suspenseful thriller. Plus it was cool seeing Iranians performing a classic American film. Very enjoyable. Saw it at the Landmark Edina.
mahdielahiFeb 10, 2017
Seller even earlier creations from Farhadi Mynymaltr, head higher in pitch and is more compact. However, the techniques writer and director, as always accompanied with full confidence. Starring in its own right, and each clue leads to anSeller even earlier creations from Farhadi Mynymaltr, head higher in pitch and is more compact. However, the techniques writer and director, as always accompanied with full confidence. Starring in its own right, and each clue leads to an unexpected outcome of this film is brilliant and ambitious. Seller tries to influence the result than the previous film, and quality Farhadi A Separation is not ambiguous and enigmatic. In fact, the theme of revenge-justice film almost reminds me of melodramatic effect - Criminal Danny Vylnv the films of his prisoners. Pchpchhay we saw them during performances, like Arthur Miller's view is that the longer we have a short view. This is a great idea that Farhadi was able to further develop seller is very clever and well. Farhadi once again explores inner characters and their motivations rigorous checks. His microscopic narrative song with a perfect game Alidusti and Shahab Hosseini, shines well. No question, Asghar Farhadi is a screenwriter preference. His cinematic style that he's close to his Western filmmakers, is different Expand
GhiblitHeadMar 1, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie as it went on, became increasingly slow. Too many unnecessary scenes that added little or nothing to the story. This shouldn't have even been a movie to begin with. They had all the evidence to go to the police and capture the rapist. He left copious amounts of blood, his phone, and vehicle. Open and shut case. The ending was also very unsatisfying and infuriating to watch. I would not recommend this to anyone. Save the two hours of your life and watch something else. Expand
nutterjrDec 23, 2017
Farhadi knows how to tell a story. With intensity in his patience and eye for detail, he builds thrilling plot out of ordinary circumstances, and enriches it with thought provoking ideas. Like always, he yet again manages to draw remarkableFarhadi knows how to tell a story. With intensity in his patience and eye for detail, he builds thrilling plot out of ordinary circumstances, and enriches it with thought provoking ideas. Like always, he yet again manages to draw remarkable performances from his cast.
About Elly and A Seperation are two more films I would recommend from his filmography.
LeZeeJun 26, 2017
When the realistic right and an emotional wrong collides.

When the realistic right and an emotional wrong collides.

This is one of the last films I watched as I cleared almost all the titles of this year's Oscars. It is a French-Iranian co-production, but selected and won the Academy Awards for Iran. From the well know filmmaker of that region whose film had already won the same award in the not so past. I'm not just addicted to Hollywood. I'm a film fanatic because I give equal preference to films of the whole world. So I have seen as many as this year's submission for the Oscars in the category of the Foreign Language Films. And there are lots better films than this, that even did not make into the final five. From my perspective, this is an okay film, even comparing with the rest of the fellow nominees, including that I thought that would win, 'Under Sandet'. The mess is all because of Trump effect, as same reason 'Moonlight' to win the main trophy.

At least it was not an average film like 'A Separation', though not a masterpiece like 'The Past' that did not even nominated for the Oscars. It stands between them. The title name is not exactly relevant to the story. But it helped to extend the plot for an extra 20-30 minutes. An unnecessary subplot, which really were the boring parts. Or you can say, just to attract the western audience with their ingredient and that worked out as planned for the filmmakers. Except those theatre portions, the rest of the film and its storyline looked like I was watching a French thriller.

It is about a young couple who are forced to relocate to another house after their apartment building was declared not safe anymore for some kind of construction taking place in the nieghbourhood which is affecting it. The man is managing his job at a school as a teacher and the remaining time as a theatre artist along with his wife. The life was as usual, till one day something bad happens to his wife at home in his absence. Now he's raged to find the culprit, but once if he did what happens and how the story ends was the another twist.

❝It's obvious you're not the one who found your wife the other day, otherwise you wouldn't say that.❞

It was a very slow start. I mean the opening scene was like racy. And then following, it slowed to build the momentum. That does not mean the characters were developed so well. It only moves forward with constructing what are all needed for later parts. Once it enters the third act, the scenario changes. It looked like another film, another genre. Too tense moment and tight plot for the grand finale. Yep, that is the part makes this film to forget everything you saw in the earlier.

Whatever happened in that part, I felt it was right, though I think culturally it differs the outcome. I mean, that's not philosophically the Iran we know or the religion they worship. You can say the western films badly portrayed them in their films, but if you look at their history, the film ending was shocking. So I thought, the end chaos was for among themselves. If the outsiders (westerners) were involved, it would have been a differently dealt.

Very good performances. But not perfectly written screenplay as I pointed out a few things in the earlier paragraphs. And another thing was, the character, particularly the mysterious one, I was not satisfied how it had been developed. He enters the frame only at the last moment. The narration was very suspense and a bit thriller, but then all the sudden everything comes crumbling down since the end was very near to cease the procession. My point is, how that X man was netted does not make sense in reality. Being a film, it has no problem at all.

So, it was a good film, but not as good as it was praised or won the Oscars. Yeah, definitely worth a watch. The setting was very good, except the ending, as the opinion differs from people to people and the amount of damage on how to deal with such situation. Overall, a little good message at the end, but not exactly a moral message as it brings more destruction towards the GOOD over the BAD which always win with a strong sentimental grip, no matter whoever involved in it.

6.5/10
aligoudyJul 3, 2017
i like the movie
farhadi's films always make me think more about some normal and routine issues around us like his last oscar movie "the seperation"
and good acting is another good featuers of his works
KHashayarHIGNAug 28, 2017
Emad (Shahab Hosseini) and Rana (Taraneh Alidoosti) face a crisis when their apartment building in Tehran starts to collapse. Fortunately, a colleague in their acting troupe helps the married couple find another place to stay. But he neglectsEmad (Shahab Hosseini) and Rana (Taraneh Alidoosti) face a crisis when their apartment building in Tehran starts to collapse. Fortunately, a colleague in their acting troupe helps the married couple find another place to stay. But he neglects to mention that the former resident had a reputation for being quite popular with men. In America, she would be called a prostitute.

Not that the couple would likely have time to worry about it. The two have lead roles in a production of “Death of a Salesman” — Emad as the forlorn Willy Loman, Rana as his loyal wife, Linda. Their commitment to the play is such that they don’t seem particularly concerned with the censorship involved in putting it on. In one such compromise, a character who happens to be a prostitute must be completely clothed at all times.

But in the middle of the production, Emad must cope with a development that can’t be ignored: an act of violence that takes place in his new home. Rattled and confused, particularly by Rana’s reaction, he struggles to get his bearings. Ultimately, he’s forced into the role of detective. Who could commit such a heinous act? And perhaps more importantly, why?

Nominated for an Oscar for best foreign language film, “The Salesman” is a powerful drama about the nature of obsession and the urge for revenge. Working from his own screenplay, director Asghar Farhadi (“A Separation”) carefully delineates a social milieu in which some things go unspoken but not unacknowledged. The film offers insights into Iranian society while also subtly making a case that human foibles are universal.

Hosseini is impressive as a man who feels compelled to take action, regardless of the ramifications. And Alidoosti persuasively embodies Rana’s pain.

“The Salesman” suggests that we really don’t know who we are until we find ourselves in situations that we couldn’t possibly predict.
AcclamationSep 16, 2017
Great acting, but it's very slow to start. Worth a watch, but this isn't anything revolutionary. It does illustrate Iranian culture in terms of relationships.
Alireza_SaeediJan 28, 2018
In my opinion, the film has to be seen many times to find some points in the film. there is a point behind each sequence . and directing is very good
MDarwishMay 26, 2018
This movie depicts the Iranian Muslims way more different than they are. The logic is messed up. You forgive your own wife's raper! Unfortunately, these directors are only showing the negatives of Iran, and hell yes, they are magnifying theThis movie depicts the Iranian Muslims way more different than they are. The logic is messed up. You forgive your own wife's raper! Unfortunately, these directors are only showing the negatives of Iran, and hell yes, they are magnifying the issue 1000x! Normal Main Street Iranians have never experienced such stuff. And foreigners (to Iran) give prizes to these movies just because of that; showing the bad side of Iran. Expand