7.6

1. Apr 19, 2014
    The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty is a film that has to be seeing.
    Very beautiful.
    In the beginning we are in his fantasy and after we are not pretty sure that it is his reality that he live.
    It is good to see a good movie.
  2. Apr 15, 2014
    GREAT movie! I do not understand the low reviews given here. Makes me wonder how many good movies I may have missed by screening them based on their ratings here and elsewhere.
    As for the movie, it was an interesting take on the short story.
  3. Apr 15, 2014
    As we know that Ben Stiller is a fine actor mostly in comical roles. But no one ever used better than himself in his own directions. Yes, most of his great performances and movies came under his steering of the ship. This is the one more movie where he exposed his creativity in filmmaking as well as acting.

'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty' was anticipated to be one of an Oscar node for
    the 86th ceremonial season, but failed unexpectedly. That did not stop the movie to the viewers to enchant with its beautiful contents. The movie was shot in many exotic places around the world, especially the sub-arctic countries like Greenland, Iceland et cetera are so alluring. According to the story the movie won't stick to the same location for more than 15-20 minutes. The constant change of places played a vital role in the movie's successive cinematographic presentation.

It was a refreshing movie compared to the movies that released in the same year. In everything, from the distinct characters to the places it takes place to the technical parts. Those places as they say were not exactly the same. Most of them were shot in a studio and the rest were the magic of special effects.

Like I always say critics are a bad influence for creative movie like this. This movie was thrashed by them, but movie fanatics are the one who stood by the side so I am happy to be one and I loved this movie. This movie was based on the short story of the same name that was published in a magazine in 1939 and was second movie adaptation after the 1947 version. If you are looking for a variety in a movie well here it is.
  4. Apr 14, 2014
    Этот фильм стоит у меня на первом месте в избранном. В этом фильме я узнал себя, свою скучную жизнь. Этот фильм заставляет задуматься и сделать что то безумное и веселое, сделать себя счастливым. Об этом фильме можно разговаривать часами и пересматривать снова и снова!
    Просто останьтесь один дома и посмотрите этот фильм, вы не пожалеете!
  5. Apr 12, 2014
    It's a decent movie about finding the adventure in your life, but it isn't really as inspiring as it should be. It's a little bit too corny and too straightforward, when subtlety should have been the best way to go.
  6. Apr 11, 2014
    Weird movie. Not entirely sure how I felt about it. If you just watch it for the kind of interesting adventure and forget all the other nonsense it works well enough. There were good moments independent of the rest if the film.
  7. Apr 7, 2014
    Seriously underrated movie that was well acted and kept you interested from start to finish. Starts off a bit slow but it definitely picks. One of the best movies I have seen in a long time and I would definitely recommend it.
  8. Apr 1, 2014
    A celebration of life. Of living actually life. Really good photography. It´s really good developed story. Really good acting. The hallucinations were great. Delirium rules!
  9. Apr 1, 2014
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a very nice film from Ben Stiller. And "nice" is the best word for it, indeed. Everything from the plot to the comedy to the emotional impact is all very nice. It's just... Nice. But like all "nice" things, it's also rarely exceptional. But if you want a nice mild experience to wash over you, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty does the business.
  10. Mar 29, 2014
    A fantastic uplifting romp through the power of inspiration and imagination. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is much more than one would expect with a strong dose of sensibility from Stiller and a tactic refusal to use comedy as a recovery tool as so many movies do today.

Stiller shows a wide range of acting chops in Life which, at the end of the day, raise this romantic comedy drama
    adventure to heights it would otherwise have missed. One of the better movies of the year and deserving of a much greater Metacritic score than the analytical critics have seen fit to deliver.

This is a movie you won't regret seeing. Just be sure to open your eyes and see your way to the end.
  11. Mar 24, 2014
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is the best movie I have seen this year so far. The Metascore is way too low on this one - the landscapes featured in the movie alone were worth the price of the ticket.
  12. Mar 5, 2014
    this shows greatness of adventure stiller steped up his game for once and took and great master peace. i am so gonna get this ondemand . finally a movie that i am never gonna forgot .
  13. Mar 3, 2014
    I'll let you in on a little secret: metacritic scores don't mean anything. That being said, I liked this film. Sure, there are beautiful shots blended with vaguely charming performances and plot--both seemingly intentionally understated. BUT--that isn't why I liked it. I saw this at a time when when I could really relate to the struggle of reconnecting with that adventurous spirit that used to keep the Big Gray Nothing at bay. Thanks, Ben and co.--I needed the subtle reminder. Expand
  14. Feb 17, 2014
    Half drama half comedy, its a pleasant movie that I won't ever watch again.

Everything looks ok in this movie, but nothing is great. It explores well the conformism of people, has great scenarios, acting is fine, drama is ok, comedy is below what I hoped for, not really a movie to make you laugh, more like a drama to watch with a smile in your face.

My negative criticism goes to the
    particularity of the main character, which feels like it serves no purpose whatsoever in the movie, other than to make the character uniquely weird. It could have focused more on that and make some twists with it. Expand
  15. Feb 11, 2014
    One day, we were sitting at home, and the old version of this movie was on TLC. I cringed through it, and when he took us to see the new one, I was worried with the reviews and because I didn't like the older one. However, I came out pleasantly surprised.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is about overcoming trials. It's easy to daydream about fantastic solutions, but you'll never grow
    up and overcome them unless you get out there to face the things that haunt you. I really felt that this movie highlighted it much better than the older version.

The movie has a very subtle hint of humor. It took me a moment to follow along with the script, but by the middle of the movie, I was laughing and really mentally interacting with Walter's story. Ben Stiller is normally not one of my favorites, but this was really one of his better jobs. The critics are just a little over critical of it. It's a good pick-me-up movie for anyone facing life's challenges, and I actually left a little inspired.
  16. Feb 7, 2014
    While it doesn't follow the plot of the short story, it still has the charm. The characters are interesting and fun, the cinematography is Oscar worthy, and it is well written.
  17. Feb 4, 2014
    I really enjoyed this movie but i think it needed something, but i can't quite put my finger on it but i thought this movie is very inspiring for those who want adventurer but don't think they could but by showing that someone who only thinks about a job and trying to impress a woman he likes, that adventure can lead you to memories that you will have forever, i think that everyone should try a do something that could be life changing and this movie shows just that. Expand
  18. Jan 30, 2014
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty should have been heartwarming whimsical movie that I fell in love with, but instead frustrated me to no end. The biggest problem is that none of the characters act in a way that any relatable human being would, which culminates in a near end twist that really took me out of the movie. The parts that are clever or heartwarming come at the expense of being a paint-by-numbers cliche. The dialogue comes off as very awkward, which is intentional, but not the awkward that lends itself to good writing that someone like Joss Whedon can produce. I am sure that I will appreciate the message and the intent behind it, but I was too frustrated and bored to enjoy watching it. Expand
  19. Jan 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a simple piece of art. You just cannot imagine what will be the ending. And you are entertained since the very beginning.
    The actors are amazing, the places beautiful, the story overwhelming.
  20. Jan 28, 2014
    Ben Stiller surely put his hearth into this movie. and don't get me wrong i did like the movie. but some moments go to fast for me. than he is still in America but some time later he is in a boat going to Iceland. it's in my opinion not really realistic. that kinda ruined it for me. but still if you want to see a movie that is interesting/funny this is a movie for you to go to!
  21. Jan 27, 2014
    This is the worst movie that I have seen in years. I can not understand how anyone can claim that it is based on James Thurber's short story by the same title. The only similarity is that both Mittys are day dreamers. The Walter Mitty in Thurber's story had a wife. This movie was just a bunch of garbage and a big waste of money.
  22. Jan 27, 2014
    I was rather sceptical about this movie, however I was more than pleasantly surprised! Sure sometimes it's a bit over the top, but I rather enjoy that. The movie has the basic ingredients to get pulled in: it has some wit, characters to hate, characters to love, a silly story but with a good message. Some nice jokes that everyone may appreciate.
    For me, this was a very nice feel good
    movie, and I would definitely recommend it. Expand
  23. Jan 25, 2014
    I am very happy for Ben Stiller at the moment. He has finally been daring enough to venture out of the brainless teen comedy zone which he has been stuck in for the past few decades and made a very entertaining movie. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty in my opinion should not be described as a family movie. Not because it isn't fun, because I expect adults will actually prefer it to children. This is probably down to the much more sophisticated type of humor used to get the laughs than in Stillers previous movies (basically the Focker movies). I have to admit the style to the whole film varies in places. For example it goes from being a quite funny and sweet to being downright creepy and forced. If you have seen it already you will understand that I am of course talking about the Benjamin Button scene. However this is not what you would call a major flaw and I found most of it to be harmlessly enjoyable. The funniest moment was undoubtedly how Walter deals with the aggressively unlikable character firing half of the people in Walter's company. Kristen Wiig (who I usually find irritating) singing Space Oddity to inspire Walter to get off his ass, is also a brilliant scene. Not perfect, but satisfying by way of laughs and worth watching. Stiller has finally made an intelligent comedy. Expand
  24. Jan 23, 2014
    Okay, I personally really liked this movie. Since everyone likes the night at the museum movies this just a small revival to Stiller's career to get his fans prepped for Night at the Museum 3. All this aside this is a visually good movie but it has too little story development. I Also think this movie should be longer so there is MORE story develop. Overall see when its DVD unless you a visual experience in a theater. Expand
  25. Jan 22, 2014
    I certainly hope that this movie gets a cult following or something, because The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was engaging, funny, and emotional in a way that was blatant at times and subtle at others. But when I think of one of the many overall messages in this movie, I start to think, (spoiler, kinda) maybe this movie isn't meant to get tons of good reviews, maybe this movie should mainly be enjoyed for what it is, not a movie that stands tall among the towering blockbusters of today, but a movie that takes the "simple story" route with a touch of insanely creative, and random, outbursts of energy. However, with such effort put into this story, I don't think a 54 is good enough for what I see as enjoyable movie. One thing is for sure, I don't think this movie was too similar to the original, and I don't think it should be compared to the original. But with an interesting story where for once, someone is defending the things that are slowly dying in our country, like magazines, film rolls, and just getting out and doing things just for personal gain, not to show off, I believe this film deserves more credit. At times, mainly during Mitty's sudden fantasies, this film reminded me of one of my most favorite movies Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I myself am a fan of extreme stylized transitions and visual effects, and these effects helped push along Walter Mitty's tale. Also, my being dyslexic was another reason I enjoyed this film. I, overall, would give this movie a 9, but seeing as many have given it much less, I will go with a 10 Expand
  26. Jan 21, 2014
    Un remake bastante bien logrado con un reparto de primera y una fotografía espectacular.
    Narra la vida de un trabajador de la revista life que se dedica a archivar los negativos que se usan para alza diferentes secciones de la revista, el cual para salir de la rutina se desconecta por momentos de la realidad para vivir intensas aventuras.
    Pero toda esta fantasía está por volverse
    realidad cuando el principal y más famoso fotógrafo de la revista le envía una película junto con una billetera de obsequio para él y una nota donde le dice que el negativo 25 es la mejor foto que ha tomado en su vida por que encierra la quinta esencia de life.
    Todo estaría muy bien si el negativo apareciera pero por más que lo buscan no lo encuentran y quedan tan solo dos semanas para poner esta foto como portada de la última revista impresa.
    Es entonces cuando nuestro protagonista Walter Mitty (Ben Stiller) decide encontrar al fotógrafo esté donde esté y emprende un viaje que lo lleva a los lugares más hermosos del mundo y a vivir una serie de aventuras tan increíbles que parecen una más de sus fantasías.
    Y hasta aquí narro la historia porque hay que verla para disfrutarla.
  27. Jan 21, 2014
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is not a film for those looking for an all-encompassing intricate plot. It is a film that many have criticized for over-reaching, but I feel that the film does not over-reach at all. Looked at from a distance, the plot is rather simple, and the real joy of the movie comes from Mitty's personality and his journey to overcome the fun (to watch) but ultimately detrimental daydreams that he experiences. It is a movie that carries emotion rarely found in many of today's typical 'Oscar pieces', and I found myself with tears of joy and sorrow in my eyes many times. Do not expect this movie to be an amazing revelation, because you will be disappointed. It is simply one very joyful, and ultimately very uplifting film that is a pleasure to watch, with fantastic screenplay and a sterling soundtrack to match. Ben Stiller has given himself a role very different to those he has tried before, and this is the first time I have been able to appreciate his acting in a character that suits him. What this movie really is at the end of the day, is a strong and well rounded experience that is well worth the price of a ticket and two hours. It is not to be missed, and the message of the film is hard to forget. For all the cynics, critics and crises of the world, life can be everything you want it to be. Expand
  28. Jan 21, 2014
    The Secret life of Walter Mitty is so simple yet captivating. It talks about how to have a life, not literally if you know what i mean, to chase everything what life has to offer to us. When we're bored in our life we kind of chase or try to change our life style but at the end you're just chasing after yourself. You just have to face what is life really does offer you. This movie really moved me not just because the protagonist worked in a magazine company, maybe that is my dream, but because the simplicity of this movie makes me want more and think about my life or our life. All in all i really loved everything about it. The casting is perfect and Ben Stiller is such a promising actor and director. Expand
  29. Jan 18, 2014
    This movie was great! I've seen it twice in theatres already and can't wait for it to come out on bluray! The acting was great and I loved Bens character! His funny, awkward humor and character transition was wonderful.
  30. Jan 17, 2014
    I expected so more...
    They didn't know how to take care of such a rich story. The movie lost the chance to be a lot much better.
    The actors were poor on their performance. Such story should not be a comedy movie.
  31. Jan 17, 2014
    Esta pelicula me gusto, tuvo drama."The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" es una pelicula que tiene un buen argumento pero no supieron usarlo, tambien trata de hacer emocionar en algunos momentos al espectador pero no lo logra.
  32. Jan 16, 2014
    As a person who spends a lot of time looking out a window “day dreaming” I was able to relate to Walter a lot. The secret Life of Walter Mitty was clearly a movie that Ben stiller really wanted to make. It is the story of a middle age man who has done nothing with his life, who suddenly has an adventure thrust upon him. This movie is far from perfect but if you are able to overlook some of the more silly parts of the movie, e.g. a scenes where Walter has an all-out fight with one of the bearded pricks in the movie over a Stretch Armstrong doll then you should be fine. Expand
  33. Jan 16, 2014
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is such a boring 'Treasure Hunt' movie. Ben Stiller cannot adequately develops his character on his own (poor acting and script), and hence confides in the other characters. But the plot of the movie has him on his own for so long, and the sequences are about as effective as a lullaby.
  34. Jan 15, 2014
    Finally a simple movie with a good moral that takes the viewer on a visual adventure.

Not a deep storyline, not a movie that will blow your mind, but a good story, a beautiful picture, and a film that won't leave you disappointed.
  35. Jan 14, 2014
    ok, yeah i am with everyone who liked this movie, the scenery was amazing and its a true hearten adventure story. Good acting and a really good story behind it. Ben stiller really put him self out there with this one. Very different and impressive. As to the ending i have found that a lot films lately have not spent a lot of time working on it but this movie really left me with a nice sensation, which means i loved it. Expand
  36. Jan 13, 2014
    There are worse things than this movie, it really isn't that bad, although there are some embarrassing plot holes and the whole problem and reason for panic in the movie could have been avoided if someone was a little less careless ( a little, doesn't take much). The movie seems to make up for it with the scenery, and the umm, well, the adventure. This isn't something that will make you think, this is more of an inspiring movie, just sit back and enjoy it, if you can get over the eharmony stuff and how dumb the people are in this movie, seriously though, is the wildlife guy trying to recreate 127 hours? Carry a bloody phone okay? Expand
  37. Jan 12, 2014
    This is a really great movie if you like interesting visuals, and really good cinematography. However, the characters are actually not very interesting. That being said, I really enjoyed this movie. Despite the characters being boring, they were actually very relatable to your "average joe". It's worth the watch in my opinion.
  38. Jan 12, 2014
    It feels like a chore mustering up a review for ‘The Secret Life of Walter Mitty’, because there really isn't much to talk to about. Ben Stiller’s attempt to direct, co-produced and star, in a film about a man overcoming adversities to do “awesome stuff” may seem a bit self glorifying. But it is interesting to note that the most (and only) appealing presence in this film was his love interest Cheryl, well played by Kristen Wiig. For a movie that blends romance, adventure, fantasy and comedy-drama, it felt awfully bland… but that should be expected when the main character, the one who the film literally revolves around, is a blank slate. Beyond those flashy dream sequences, Mitty wasn't really saying much; it seems Stiller wasn't apt to directing or playing this subtle character. I found it difficult to root for him and his globe-trotting adventure of “self discovery”, when the man himself was nothing more than vanilla, from start to finish. Not particularly funny, nor creative; Steve Conrad’s impatient script was all over the place. I also found that the dramatic elements of the films were blatantly coerced, as they weren't able to manifest naturally through the (haphazard) rhythms of the story. One thing I did appreciate was Stuart Dryburgh’s gorgeous cinematography that brought the great outdoors and the sleek corporate settings to life. I really wish I could like this whimsical, odd ball story; but it just wasn't doing it for me. Expand
  39. Jan 12, 2014
    Sometimes people just want to criticize and whine, but isn't it a coincidence that all "critics" gave it the same score? Maybe they asked for too much money...Either way, listen to the real people, I recommend this movie 2x because nowadays the amount of rubbish movies is too high, this is fresh but most important of all, a human film. Don't we all look for a life purpose? This movie contrasts the ordinary life of a worker and the adventurous life of...well an adventurer. Expand
  40. Jan 12, 2014
    I really liked this movie! I thought it was sweet and charming and it was shot incredibly well. The cast was all fantastic and I really enjoyed Ben Stiller's aesthetics.
  41. Jan 12, 2014
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is an inconsistent mess that isn't a complete film. The movie never gets to you emotionally, which is what Ben Stiller was trying to do. Besides having some nice landscapes, it's nothing more then forgettable trash to say the least.
  42. Jan 11, 2014
    Such an amazing and powerful movie.

How disappointing can be the critics sometimes, they almost made me lose one of my favourite movies ever.

Don't watch Life.
    Live it!
  43. Jan 11, 2014
    This a excellent movie, truly inspiring... soundtrack that i must find right now for my travel playlist, beautiful photography and direction. Is a life changer, want to go back to the mountains.
  44. Jan 9, 2014
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty es una épica aventura que juega con los sueños de las personas imaginativas que realmente funciona; Ben Stiller ha dirigido una de las mejores películas de aventuras del año, seguramente la inocencia de la película cautivará a una audiencia más joven y espero que así sea para que no se pierdan la oportunidad de ver esta asombrosa y divertida película. El reparto esta bien desarrollado, una historia original y divertida, y muchas risas sanas para disfrutar en familia. Buena película. Expand
  45. Jan 4, 2014
    This movie was Ben Stiller's Playback Time you know in Mr. Bean's Holiday. But this is based on '30s short story. Sean Penn was hot even though only a scene.
    If you're looking for motivation then watch The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. But if your definition of motivation is money, drugs & sex, then watch Wolf of Wall Street.
  46. Jan 4, 2014
    I understand the problems with this film but for some reason I cant find myself giving it anything less than 10 out of 10. This might be because thematically it might have struck a personal chord. I will admit that it was a bit much at times and a bit overambitious at others, however I really enjoyed it and would recommend it, it is the perfect escape of everyday life, uplifting and sweet at the same time. Expand
  47. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great movie.....positive message. Good acting and took you on a vacation throughout the world. Great scenery and at end still realistic with two main characters out of a job. Expand
  48. Jan 3, 2014
    Forget the original short story: This has been hijacked by Ben Stiller's ego (he also directed) into a confused commercial mess. He plays a mild-mannered worker at LIFE magazine, who lapses into heroic daydreams. After a threatening job event and the urging of a woman (Kristen Wiig in her blandest role yet) he's inspired to go on a real adventure that takes him to Greenland and Afghanistan. The plot abounds with illogical moments, heavy-handed characters, loose ends and embarrassing product placement. There's nothing particularly imaginative here, although some of the scenery is pretty. Stiller lacks the acting chops or directing skills to give this silly fantasy any true heart or vision. Expand
  49. Jan 2, 2014
    Life lesson it's a good resume of the movie, sometimes in the life you stay dreaming but in the real life you stay doing nothing, only following your routine, the movie shows what happens when you go to adventures and big journey's and stop dreaming, the movie shows that sometime the most imposible apparent answer is the most simple answer.

I give a 8 because the movie confuses you, but
    have a great final, a good background, a history and a pretty good final, if is or not a "must see movie"? Yes it is, but go knowing that the movie it's a little bit confuse and you need to pay attention in details to understand the movie. Expand
  50. Jan 2, 2014
    Watched walter mitty today and enjoyed it massively! Definitely a feel good film with incredibly imagery and stunning landscapes. Quite possibly my favourite film to date!
  51. Jan 1, 2014
    Heartfelt and inspiring movie, it is truly a reflection of what is happening in society today. Makes me wanna go out and do the things his done instead sitting and day dreaming in the office.

The critics has got this one all wrong!!!
  52. Jan 1, 2014
    I wanted so much to like this movie as Ben Stiller is one of my favorite actors. Having said that this is one boring film that is going nowhere from ten minutes into the film. Danny Kaye makes this Mitty look very bad. I can't believe that no one stood up to Ben as he was directing to tell him how awful this flick is. Avoid at all costs.
  53. Dec 31, 2013
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is not a bad movie; however, its faults are quite jarring. Ben Stiller leads the film and he doesn't do a very nice job of it. He does not shine and he doesn't behind the camera as well. Kristen Wiig, Shirley Maclaine, and Patton Oswalt are the bright spots of the film as well as its beautiful cinematography. The ending is quite nice but most event sin the film are nothing spectacular or even good. Walter Mitty doesn't show the effort that apparently was involved. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is 46% of a good movie. Expand
  54. Dec 31, 2013
    This is just a lovely feel good movie. It has great charm, wit and is a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Highly recommended stiller's more serious roles are really lovely and his maturing as an actor is lovely to watch late in his life. Go and see this
  55. Dec 30, 2013
    "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" is a celebration of life. It’s a feel good movie that not only inspires, but motivates its viewers to go out and live life to the fullest. Don’t let anyone, especially yourself, stop you from seeking adventure and making the best of this precious gift of being alive. It is a fun and heartwarming tale that is worth watching.

The story and screenplay
    don’t necessarily excel or surprise in the narrative department, but they provide a emotionally satisfying experience nonetheless. However, this film really shines from a directorial stand point. Ben Stiller does an excellent job of balancing the fantasy and real world moments in the film. I really felt like I was watching a person’s daydreams when Walter would zone out. It’s exciting and beautifully executed and when the character snaps back into reality, it is very much like me when I daydream.

The cast does a solid job, but nothing really stands out performance wise. Having said that, I find Walter to be an incredibly likeable character. He’s odd and a bit awkward, but he never feels hopeless so we can always root for him when things don’t go as planned. And Ben Stiller’s natural charisma adds to the character’s likability.

Overall “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” is an enjoyable feel good movie that will warm your heart and make you appreciate life. The film doesn’t excel in any one particular area of film making, but it does hit you were it counts. Accompanied by a great soundtrack/score, this is a movie that is worth watching and you’ll come out of it with a new found appreciation for life. I give it 4/5
  56. Dec 30, 2013
    You can see there is an artist and a lot of heart on the other side of this movie. Good motivational story that is deep but not heavy. Technically very well made (cinematography, sound, rhythm), with great acting and good characters.

It's a little too emotionally manipulative at times but you can see its done in order to keep the movie as a lighthearted experience.

I say ignore the
    exaggerated criticism and give this one a chance! Expand
  57. Dec 30, 2013
    A great movie if not the greatest movie of the year. The soundtrack and cinimatography were beautiful. The movie keeps you engaged till the very end..
  58. Dec 30, 2013
    Honestly, I disagree with all the negative reviews of this film. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is bursting with warmth, inspiration, love, and the passion for pure adventure. Truly spectacular. The music, cinematography, plot, and dialogue are spot on. Yes, the movie may be a bit predictable but this is a minor issue considering how excellent the movie is. One of the best movies I've laid my eyes on. Expand
  59. Dec 30, 2013
    It is a light drama with some fantasy, romance, and comedy (though nothing that will make you roll in the aisles laughing). I appreciated they used approachable actors to portray real life people instead of A-listers who look like models, but still had a charm to them. Worth a view, though won't be considered a 'classic' by any means.
  60. Dec 30, 2013
    After seeing the poor reviews and overly-inspirational trailer for "The Secret LIfe of Walter Mitty", I was skeptical when I was invited to see this movie. My initial suspicions were (mostly) correct "Mitty" is a feel-good movie, with a heavy emphasis on inspiration and complete with soaring rock anthems in the background. These qualities typically work against films; audiences who "don't fall for it" feel they are being patronized or worse, manipulated into feeling something they don't want.

Fortunately, director Ben Stiller, who has received a significant amount of unwarranted flak simply for daring to be a comedian and direct a movie, recognizes the pitfalls of the subgenre. "Mitty" inspires by virtue of being virtuous rather than by falling back on melodrama to tug at the heartstrings. Floating by like the daydreams of the titular character, the film doesn't even seem all that preoccupied with pushing anything in your face, contrary to most reviews.

One other notable aspect of note is the camerawork. Criticized for contributing the overly grandiose feel of the film, I can't believe how critics missed, or at least ignored (certainly didn't mention), such an obvious facet of the film: Walter works at LIFE magazine, a company whose motto, future, and work over the years are a heavy focus of the film, is well known for the iconic photography frequently on display on its front page. Most of the wide angle landscape shots in the film are beautiful homages to such images, and each time I saw one, I could easily envision it on the magazine cover.

The acting is pretty standard, with no one really standing out in particular, but it feels to be all in service of fostering the atmosphere of the fable or tall tale that it really is. Perhaps Fox made a mistake by promoting "Mitty" as awards-show fare; nothing on display here is particularly revolutionary or avant-garde, and critics may have just gone into it with unfulfilled expectations. That's really a shame, because "Mitty" is a beautiful, simple, and fun movie which stand head and shoulders above any other family fare released all year. Unless you're a huge cynic, you should see this movie.
  61. Dec 30, 2013
    I think it good movie make me impressive it really good to me.Nothing to say just i like this movie and everywhere they go to make this movie that great.
  62. Dec 29, 2013
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a fine remake of Danny Kaye's 1947 version. The cinematography is outstanding! While some points throughout the movie may seem implausible, at its core the film demonstrates that reality can be as rewarding as fantasy. It's a fine movie for the entire family and appropriate for the holiday season.

Ben Stiller served the movie well as an actor and
    director. Both Stiller and Kristen Wiig are fine comic talents as long as the comedy isn't too absurd. They both have proven there's a fine line between comedy and drama. Ben Stiller gives a solid performance as the lonely but kind-hearted Mitty who has a imagination rich with fantasies. Stiller was also exceptional in the drama as the famed drug addicted television screenwriter, Jerry Stahl in Permanent Midnight. I hope Stiller and Wiig will continue to seek out both comedic and dramatic roles in the future.

I do question the pre-Oscar hype for Ben Stiller and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. It's rare for a comedy to win prestigious awards. However, this film should be nominated for the Oscar, SAG as well as other coveted awards and we should watch to see if The Secret Life of Walter Mitty can turn fantasies into the reality of winning such honors during the award season.
  63. Dec 29, 2013
    I had been looking forward to finally watching the secret life of Walter Mitty and I was not disappointed. Rather than dissect the movie and compare it to a 1947 film (which I doubt anyone younger than 50 has seen) like a previous reviewer mentioned, I'd like to simply say that this movie was a good time. It has adventure, light romance, comedy, and emotion. It is a story anyone can relate to about being stuck in a 9-5 and spending that time dreaming about what we could be doing. Expand
  64. Dec 29, 2013
    The best movie I've seen in a long time. It does a fantastic job of having a deep, meaningful message, while not coming off as overly pretentious. Walter Mitty is the most relatable character I've seen in recent films. Through the first act where he imagines what life could be, to the last act, you're rooting for walter the entire way. Besides Catching Fire, this is the best movie in theaters at the moment, and, in my opinion, one of Stiller's best works. Expand
  65. Dec 29, 2013
    Not a perfect movie, but a very, very good one. There were times deliveries of jokes felt a little forced or rushed, but outside of that, this movie had very little going against it. I suppose sometimes it got a little cutesy with the music, but the soundtrack was good enough to make up for that. It's a beautiful movie that really deserves praise. We almost didn't go as a result of how bad the reviews are, and the 8 of us that went all enjoyed it. Expand
  66. Dec 29, 2013
    Absolutely amazing. I didn't know the serious Ben Stiller. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is the best adventure movie of 2013. The scenery is gorgeous, and the visual effects Amazing. Thank you Ben Stiller
  67. Dec 29, 2013
    I saw an advanced screening of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty not knowing what to expect. It is Ben Stiller. I loved Tropic Thunder but that was really it. I go and watch the movie and i feel like watching it again. Ben Stiller does such an AMAZING job with this. His performance was very believable and he uses his camera in smart angles and views. I absolutely hope this is nominated for a couple of Academy Awards because he did a great job with it. I highly recommend it. Expand
  68. Dec 28, 2013
    First act of the movie was very clunky.. mix of goofy humor (which mostly misses) and stock characters. But have to admit the movie grew on me. Interesting use of an almost entirely comedic casting (Stiller, Wiig, Oswald, Scott, many others..) for what became more of a (mild) drama than a comedy.
  69. Dec 28, 2013
    A decent and up-lifting story with Ben Stiller in the Director's chair AND in the lead, how the hell did I stumble into an alternate universe where he's a good actor?
    This movie is a brilliantly shot-if plot light-take on the old adage 'don't let life pass you by', it's far better than the quote from Ferris Beuler. This film does that in a far more subtle way, it shows you what you're
    doing every day and then what you could do and the only thing that holds you back is the 'responsibility' we all have.
    A good and warm movie for anyone who wants to enjoy their life, instead of simply living.
  70. Dec 27, 2013
    I can't believe this movie has a metascore of 54. This is one of the best movies of the year. I know this site bases the score on a wide range of reviews, but when they get it this wrong I question the value of coming here.
  71. Dec 27, 2013
    I had high hopes for this movie, but, ultimately, it was very disappointing. I kept waiting for something to affect me emotionally, but it never happened. Some beautiful scenery was filmed.
  72. Dec 26, 2013
    RetroView25, Here once more again and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is not more about Walter Mitty himself but more a "Open Love Letter" to once ironic "Life Magazine" which has not been monthly published since 2000... And, a little sad irony here is that Life dot Com site mention in the film ended January 2012 in real life!!! Also, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty really did not showcase the legacy or their importance to the WORLD; through their Pictures!!!

In truth, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty plays out more like a infomercial movie for "Life Takes Visa" Commercials!!! Except; Mr. Mitty is burning a hole through his savings doing all this searching self discovery journey; portraying a "Where in the World is Matt Lauer/Carmen Sandiego?" episode...
    Along with a running gag against eHarmony Dating Site to say in short: "You will find love by living life then clicking one profile at a time"!!!

Final: There is no real closure in the film... Your kinda left hoping that Walter Mitty will be all right, with his new found self... At last, like all our ventures in "Life"... Get it!?!
  73. Dec 26, 2013
    Amazing movie. Best I've seen all year. (Sorry Gravity...)
    Deep but light-hearted. It shows us a lot of what this world is becoming and makes you rethink your life.
  74. Dec 26, 2013
    The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty take you on an adventure like no other. It's crafted beautifully with it's great acting, Stanley Kubrick style cinematography, flawlessly delivered dialogue, and an intriguing premise. It haves you on the edge of your seat when it needs to, it haves you laughing when it needs to, it has you thinking when it needs too, the execution is damn near perfect. Original, breathtaking, stylish, hilarious, and heartwarming, this movie isn't perfect, but it's still pretty damn great. Expand
  75. Dec 26, 2013
    I don't get all this criticism ,

I was entertainment, the whole movie through, it was well-written and great acting. The landscapes and the effect was fantastic.

and I could not stop laughing some times.. So I gave the movie full house, and it's rare that I give a movie full house (10 ratings) It was just a beautiful movie, the songs that were playing gave me goosebumps. And I fell
    so warm in my heart when watching this movie, there were no people that hated each other. Only positive people, who helped the people who got lost in their journey.

It is a worth a watch.!
  76. Dec 25, 2013
    I usually respect critics' opinions, but I just don't know what they were thinking when they gave bad reviews to this amazing movie.

GORGEOUS cinematography, superb directing. Possibly Stiller's best performance ever. My favorite movie of the year so far. Don't see how anybody couldn't fall in love with it.
  77. Dec 25, 2013
    Beautifully crafted film. What Ben Stiller has created for our viewing pleasure is nothing short of brilliance. I would definitely recommend that if you did not get an opportunity to check Walter Mitty out on Christmas Day, you get out to see it as soon as possible. You will not be disappointed.
  78. Dec 25, 2013
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is sweet, ambitious, and beautifully shot film. It also has a gorgeous score and is wonderfully acted. I LOVED this film and it is absolutely endearing, just what I needed during this holiday season. I wanted more of Wiig....but that is just because she is so good. Stiller is the best he has been in years.
  79. Dec 25, 2013
    Nice looks: both Life Magazine and the adventures to Greenland, Iceland and Afghanistan. Ben Stiller is likeable as ever, and a good match for the character of Walter Mitty. Sweet performance by Kristen Wiig. Perfect cameo by Sean Penn. Solid comedic performance by Patton Oswald. Nice plot development: he gives up his fantasies for reality. Pleasant romantic comedy thread.
  80. Dec 25, 2013
    One really has to wonder what the reviewers are really thinking. We looked over the family movie list and barely decided to go to this one based on lackluster reviews. Six out of six of us REALLY liked it and found it deep, entertaining, and easy to watch. By all means, if you are looking to enjoy a movie, go see this one.

If you are looking for a connection to the original story,
    the connection happens during the first 45 minutes and then seems to go in its own direction. Big deal. The movie moves through characters development, plot lines, and geographies smoothly, and does not reveal its final hand until the end. Expand
  81. Dec 25, 2013
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a sweet and well-meaning movie whose intent is to inspire and uplift its audience, but it approaches its message with all the subtlety of a sugar rush. It has many entertaining and endearing moments even if it never quite comes together as a fully satisfying whole. Most of its problems are on paper where no gloriously shot vista or Arcade Fire music cue can help. Still, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty's a decent escape from your daily routine. It's just not a great escape. Ben Stiller directs and stars in the heartfelt, but superficial fantasy-dramedy The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, which wants to say big things about life but never fully delivers on all its promise. Expand
  82. Dec 25, 2013
    While I didn't hate this movie, I still was really disappointed with the way this turned out. While some of the dream sequences and actual events that Walter Mitty has to go on were some of the best moments of the movie, what lacks is the inconsistent tone that this movie tries to carry. The tone is always changing and some of the characters are too goofy at times. Ben Stiller can definitely play the part of Walter Mitty for sure, but some of the direction that he takes just doesn't work. Really, this movie is more disappointing that bad. Overall, even with its flaws, it's still an enjoyable film to watch during the holidays. I give it a B-. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
  83. Dec 25, 2013
    An ambitious over-hyped and ultimately leaden re-vamping of an earlier film made in 1947. It seems to exist in no man's land wanting to be all thing's to all people and ending up offering very little of anything to anyone. It's not CGI heavy or action packed enough to be considered a block buster and it's too redundantly lame to be good romantic/comedy/drama. In fact what we have is an anaemic romance that provides a linking device to a series of visual fantasies. These fantasy moments which crop up about every 15-20 minutes are, in themselves, not too bad, but they can't prevent the film from seeming half hearted and empty. Ben stiller is ok as the lead character zoning in to more exciting worlds, but I much preferred Adam Scott as one of the heads of Life magazine where Stiller works. His presence, as a kind of villain, bucks one up whenever he appears. The same cannot be said for Sean Penn in a small cameo. This is certainly a strange choice of movie for him. I just hpe he isn't heading down the same road taken by Robert De Niro, destination nowhere, artistically. Locations in Greenland and Iceland are stunning. Production values are fine, but this is under whelming forgettable fluff. Expand

Exquisitely produced, immaculately acted, and thoroughly uninvolving, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a perfect nothing of a movie.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Dec 28, 2013
    In his uniquely funny and unexpectedly tender movie, Stiller takes us on a personal journey of lingering resonance.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Dec 28, 2013
    Impressive landscapes, plus Kristen Wiig's appealing Cheryl, the fellow worker who inflames Walter's passion, make the movie enjoyable enough. Yet its style is a constant bafflement.