The Sixth Sense

8.9

1. ZabzK.
    Mar 3, 2006
    Bit boring. To predictable. Wont recommend it to anyone.We spent 3 lessons watching it, kept on falling asleep.
  2. PeterH.
    Feb 10, 2003
    I think this is one of the most overrated films.
  3. Jack
    Nov 10, 2002
    The ending is just your usual surprise twist, and it's hardly an original story, but it works pretty well.
  4. AndrewF.
    Nov 22, 2001
    Nothing special. The ending is a complete turkey when you try and figure out the continuity. What's all this crap about the kid being such a good actor? Rob Reiner was doing better in movies like "Stand By Me" 15 years ago.
  5. Apr 10, 2015
    A modern classic in the thriller genre, The Sixth Sense is proof that the standards have been lowering themselves since Hitchcock, and by a lot. It's not clear whether this film is at times trying to be actually scary or is simply hightening the tension, with half jump scares and some sketched attempt at a scary soundtrack. I don't see how people call the final "revelation" (and note theA modern classic in the thriller genre, The Sixth Sense is proof that the standards have been lowering themselves since Hitchcock, and by a lot. It's not clear whether this film is at times trying to be actually scary or is simply hightening the tension, with half jump scares and some sketched attempt at a scary soundtrack. I don't see how people call the final "revelation" (and note the inverted commas) a "twist", when it was clear from twenty minutes in what the situation was. Maybe, as I said, standards have been lowered so much that people go see thriller movies with their brains turned off. To put the icing on the cake, everything is whispered in the hopes of giving dialogue depth, obviously failing.

Anyway, not everything is terrible: the idea is brilliant on paper, and it was supported by somewhat decent performances by Bruce Willis (we don't get to say that often) and Toni Collette. In fact, I think their performances were great when you wager in the childish script they had to deal with.
  6. Mar 30, 2015
    "The Sixth Sense" equates to little more than M. Night Shyamalan trying to compensate for his script's narrative shortcomings with an audacious twist ending that is illogical and does not make sense. Sound familiar? The atmosphere is built effectively enough for some chills, but the narrative is poorly thought out and meandering, and completely undercuts what suspense Shyamalan creates."The Sixth Sense" equates to little more than M. Night Shyamalan trying to compensate for his script's narrative shortcomings with an audacious twist ending that is illogical and does not make sense. Sound familiar? The atmosphere is built effectively enough for some chills, but the narrative is poorly thought out and meandering, and completely undercuts what suspense Shyamalan creates. With a placid, probably miscast Bruce Willis in the lead and Toni Collette performing well in an underwritten role, it is Haley Joel Osment who salvages the film with an empathetic and star-making portrait. It's a shame the rest of the film couldn't live up to his example. Expand

1. Sometimes verges on silliness.
  2. Film.com
    Reviewed by: Tom Keogh
    Chalk this film up as an unusually intelligent thriller about that which scares us the most: accepting our accidents of fate.
  3. Film.com
    Reviewed by: Peter Brunette
    It's far more loquacious and cerebral than your average run-of-the-mill thriller, but boy, when the relatively infrequent scares do come, they will pull you out of your seat and raise the hair on your arms.