8.6

1. sLm
    Oct 5, 2012
    The mother practically made me break down in tears, and not to mention the awesome ending. Amazing film.
  2. Aug 8, 2011
    A unbelievably well thought out story balanced out with enough chills and shock as well as suspense for the audience to leave the theater completely satisfied.
  3. Jul 10, 2013
    A great debut feature by M. Night Shyamalan. It's chilling with great performances by Haley Joel Osment and Bruce Willis. Plus the twist ending is perfect.
  4. Aug 13, 2010
    Love it so much especially the ending. Haley Joel Osment's acting is so good and he deserves the Oscar nomination, too bad the movie didn't win any Oscar though it had 6 nominations.
  5. May 24, 2013
    Following an assault from an ex-patient psychologist Malcolm Crowe meets a young child named Cole, who suffers from the same diagnosis as the ex-patient and claims he can see dead people. Determined to help the boy Malcolm attempts to teach Cole to overcome his fears.

Throughout the film M. Night Shyamalan creates an eerie atmosphere making for fascinating viewing. It is difficult to say much more about The Sixth Sense without spoiling the finale for those that have not seen the movie (although there can't be many people who are unaware of how the film ends) but it certainly is one of those rare films that is almost better when watched for the second time when you know what to look out for. As for the cast Bruce Willis puts in another good acting performance but Hayley Joel Osment steals the show in, what I believe, was his movie debut making for an almost perfect movie package.
  6. Mar 20, 2012
    A truly great suspense film. Shyamalan hits every nail on its head perfectly and creates a masterpiece of tension, timing and terror. It was a long and embarrassing downhill tumble for him after this, however...
  7. Jun 6, 2013
    A milestone of the genre, and probably the best psychological thriller of the decade, with stunning performances of both Willis and Osmond. Quite sad to see that many critics at the time didn't see this masterpiece for what it was.
  8. Mar 9, 2013
    Its an instant horror classic and will definetly go down in my history as one of the best horror films of all time. As for Shyamalan, he goes down in my history as the guy who did 3 awesome films and then was forgetten for just ruining his career.
  9. Apr 24, 2013
    It's safe to say that this film will clearly be remembered for the twist, and if you don't know it even without seeing the film I'm quite surprised. Overall its a solid film that is probably best when you first saw it, but its fun watching it again and picking up on some of the clues and hints. Both Bruce Willis and young Haley Joel Osment give great performances, and this film remains toIt's safe to say that this film will clearly be remembered for the twist, and if you don't know it even without seeing the film I'm quite surprised. Overall its a solid film that is probably best when you first saw it, but its fun watching it again and picking up on some of the clues and hints. Both Bruce Willis and young Haley Joel Osment give great performances, and this film remains to be one of those traumatizing films from my childhood Overall a fantastic Thriller well worth seeing. Expand
  10. Oct 16, 2011
    M. Night Shyamalan's "The SIxth Sense" is a masterfully created horror movie that, with solid care, actually scares you and tears you the same time. It's a great movie that will make you think throughout the whole time, especially with the shocking twist at the end.
  11. Mar 4, 2011
    One of the best movie twists ever. Unfortunately my sister spoiled it for me and told me before I ever saw it and really, that IS the movie. Done very well and great acting.
  12. May 2, 2011
    The one successful movie M. Night Shyamalan has to his name, TSS is one of the most frightening, thought provoking and most genius thrillers to entertain audiences in recent years. Bruce Willis gives a cold performance that makes you believe he is a ghost himself. Haley Joel Osment and Toni Collete also give good performances. The twist at the end is utter genius and smacks you rightThe one successful movie M. Night Shyamalan has to his name, TSS is one of the most frightening, thought provoking and most genius thrillers to entertain audiences in recent years. Bruce Willis gives a cold performance that makes you believe he is a ghost himself. Haley Joel Osment and Toni Collete also give good performances. The twist at the end is utter genius and smacks you right between the eyes , making you think you should have seen it coming all along. The best of its kind. Expand
  13. Sep 19, 2013
    One of the most effective thrillers of all time, and probably the most spoiled movie ever, if you know the ending. So I will not say what the spoiler is, but I will say this: once you figure out the ending, you will want to go back and watch the film all over again to see how this event played out. The film just got a lot more smarter and intelligent with the end scene. Besides that, theOne of the most effective thrillers of all time, and probably the most spoiled movie ever, if you know the ending. So I will not say what the spoiler is, but I will say this: once you figure out the ending, you will want to go back and watch the film all over again to see how this event played out. The film just got a lot more smarter and intelligent with the end scene. Besides that, the film also has probably the most quoted line from movies ever, and just by saying it will put the title in your head: "I see dead people." Expand
  14. Jan 12, 2011
    Pretty good movie. When it first came out more people seemed to find it scary. I just thought it was plain good. The ending while obvious in hindsight was actually covered up just enough throughout.
  15. Nov 29, 2013
    Shyamalan has really outdone himself with this one. This is is best film, without any way of comparison. The acting is actually good, which is an amazing fact for Shyamalan. Too bad his other films aren't as good as this one.
  16. ZabzK.
    Mar 3, 2006
    Bit boring. To predictable. Wont recommend it to anyone.We spent 3 lessons watching it, kept on falling asleep.
  17. CRL
    Aug 9, 2011
    I can't classify this as a horror film, because it never really scared me. In truth, I'm not sure exactly what to classify it as. Maybe the best thing to do is just not to lump it together in a category and instead realize that with its famed twist ending and Oscar-worthy performance by Haley Joel Osment, The Sixth Sense is a film that really isn't like any other.
  18. Oct 2, 2013
    A decent thriller with a nice story. The beginning is intriguing, the middle is so-so and the ending is really intense! I liked Bruce Willis, Haley Joel Osment and Toni Collette screenplay. There was one annoying thing the loud "screamers" in the most scary moments, I do not like this kind of method to make suspence.
  19. Mar 8, 2013
    It is a nonsense film but it is good nonsense.A story about a boy who see ghosts,well,I think that says all. But the story is great,a bit horror a bit sadly and the twist at the end is legendary. All in all good.
  20. Dec 10, 2012
    Superb movie with great plot. It is good to watch, scary (sometimes) and it keeps you watching it because it hardly makes you bored (if you get the movie meaning).
  21. Aug 10, 2013
    this movie is absolutely amazing, the writing, the directing, the performances, the plot, and finally the twist was one of the best twists ever, it's almost as good as the twist from "fight club", this movie keeps surprising you with every element, i mean who would thought that a kid will give such a memorable performance, the sixth sense is unique and over the top and once in a life timethis movie is absolutely amazing, the writing, the directing, the performances, the plot, and finally the twist was one of the best twists ever, it's almost as good as the twist from "fight club", this movie keeps surprising you with every element, i mean who would thought that a kid will give such a memorable performance, the sixth sense is unique and over the top and once in a life time experience. Expand
  22. Mar 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Slow at the beginning, having a surprise twist at the end. Expand
  23. Mar 26, 2014
    M. Night Shyamalan's best, if not only, good movie. An even paced supernatural thriller with intensive and realistic acting, with Haley Joel particularly amazing, and with a shocking that's the perfect payload. I can't understand how a man who wrote and directed this would direct 'Last Airbender'. This will be his magnum opus, the rest is s**t.
  24. Nov 12, 2013
    A bold chilling mystery thriller.
    Bruce Willis is electric in this thought provoking mystery that will leave you absolutely breathless. Witness this cinematic achievement.
  25. Sep 26, 2014
    this one of the movies that is not scary ( like the Poltergiest) but it's a devil paranormal activie. But it's a classic of the 90's. ( actually writer , director M. Night Shyamalan does have a quite of a good imagination). Bruce willis is entertaining indeed. Grade B
  26. Jul 20, 2014
    Sadly, the sixth sense was a missed opportunity because of its badly written plot that relays on the twist ending. no real suspense, underwritten mother character , some scenes lead absolute nowhere, scenes contradicts each other.the main plot ends in a lame way and the twist ending comes from the subplot tries to save the film. Therefore, no suspense not even hints of suspicion toSadly, the sixth sense was a missed opportunity because of its badly written plot that relays on the twist ending. no real suspense, underwritten mother character , some scenes lead absolute nowhere, scenes contradicts each other.the main plot ends in a lame way and the twist ending comes from the subplot tries to save the film. Therefore, no suspense not even hints of suspicion to create tension . Expand
  27. AudreyH.
    Apr 3, 2001
    I thought that I understood this movie, but there is so much in the coloring, etc. that is not apparent during the first viewing. Rent or buy the special edition DVD and take in some of the interviews with Syamalan and others. You'll love it.
  28. PeterH.
    Feb 10, 2003
    I think this is one of the most overrated films.
  29. GustavoH.R.
    Jan 1, 2004
    James Berardinelli shouldn't be part of this site. He can't have any arguments to defend what he said. The Sixth Sense is brilliant in every possible way: it IS wonderfully well written, acted and directed.
    Jun 2, 2007
    How the heck does this movie get such a poor review by Metacritic!?!?! AWESOME movie.
  31. MarcusL.
    Jan 5, 2009
    This movie was great. The twists and turns that kept wondering what is going to happen next keeping you very interested in the movie the whole time. It was very creepy at parts, and its opening and closing scenes were great.
  32. Jack
    Nov 10, 2002
    The ending is just your usual surprise twist, and it's hardly an original story, but it works pretty well.
  33. ConnieM.
    May 30, 2003
    Osment deserved the Academy Award, they all did. Even Michael Caine (awarded the Oscar as Best Supporting) acknowledged this. This is The Classic that surpasses all genre classifications. Pay careful attention to "The Rules" on DVD. It inspired me to see movie making with new eyes. This astonishing film is enhanced by the commentary that explains to you just how much you are experiencing Osment deserved the Academy Award, they all did. Even Michael Caine (awarded the Oscar as Best Supporting) acknowledged this. This is The Classic that surpasses all genre classifications. Pay careful attention to "The Rules" on DVD. It inspired me to see movie making with new eyes. This astonishing film is enhanced by the commentary that explains to you just how much you are experiencing on the screen. The cast and director will never be and have never been this good. PS Watch and listen carefully for the emotional relationships between the characters, there lies the soul of the film. A rare, quiet epic. Collapse
  34. KeithE.
    Sep 20, 2003
    When I first watched the film I found it somewhat boring. Once the twist was revealed, I wanted to watch it over again. You spend alot of your time trying to guess what the ending will be, and you will be surprised by the time you reach the credits.
  35. JasonW.
    Nov 8, 2004
    This movie was totally underrated. i know some movie-reviewers are put off my Mr Shyamalan, but they are way to harsh on this movie. This movie may still many cliches but puts them together better than most of the horror movies ever made, and manages to have an intricate story line at the same time. the movie simply kicks ass.
  36. MichelleM.
    Jul 30, 2004
    Anyone who doesn't like this movie is crazy! It keeps you guessing to the very end. Even though I've seen in 20 to 30 times, I still can't resist being scarred!
  37. Sam
    Apr 1, 2006
    The Sixth Sense may not be the most effective thriller created, (It's no "The Shining") but it's most certainly close.
  38. HimathD.
    Feb 13, 2007
    The best movie I ever watched. Held me so captivated throughout the movie.
  39. TettoB.
    Jul 2, 2008
    The king of suspense is not the creator of this wonderful film, is the film itself. Powerfully acted and written.
  40. AnthonyC.
    Aug 11, 2008
    The reason why I like this movie is because it's one of those rare horror films that once you walk out of the theatre. You will be in shock by anywhere you go by the reality of a sixth sense. It's a terrifying, kind of slow, but truly amazing. One of the greatest horror films ever made.
  41. RichardB.
    Apr 5, 2009
    Simply one of the best movies of all time and I don't understand the critics who claim that the acting's bad, the writing's bad and all the other stuff is bad because all these aspects are on an unbelievably high level. The only sad thing about it is that you may only once experience it for the first time because this one time is really special. But still I love watching Simply one of the best movies of all time and I don't understand the critics who claim that the acting's bad, the writing's bad and all the other stuff is bad because all these aspects are on an unbelievably high level. The only sad thing about it is that you may only once experience it for the first time because this one time is really special. But still I love watching this film again and again. Expand
  42. RyanM.
    May 28, 2001
    Good twist and story, but its horror is so gratuitous that you don't like it.
  43. Layne
    Aug 7, 2003
    The most breathtaking horror film ever made. Moving and enrapturingly powerful with a great psychologicaly horrifying story and wonderful acting on display. Willis and Osment are great, but Collette is so powreful in her performance of a greiving mother that she alone acts well enough for the whole cast. Worthy of far more than four stars.
  44. YoonMinC.
    Sep 28, 2003
    Can a single moment change your entire life? It can an entire movie. After barely slogging thru its machinations came the revelation, an unbearably poignant moment of realization and resignation. And, then the entire movie suddenly came into focus, as a decemt preparation for that truly great scene. The revelation involves a ring, and that moment is more precious and magical than all the Can a single moment change your entire life? It can an entire movie. After barely slogging thru its machinations came the revelation, an unbearably poignant moment of realization and resignation. And, then the entire movie suddenly came into focus, as a decemt preparation for that truly great scene. The revelation involves a ring, and that moment is more precious and magical than all the multimillion dollar special effects in a summerful of blockbuster movies or all the pretentious straining in an autumnful of art films. Features Willis's best role and warmed up Osment for his great role in AI. Expand
  45. AndrewM.
    May 16, 2004
    (7.5) This is a subtle horror film. It has moments of menacing suspense, mild paranormal, intense drama and eerie uncertainty, but all the while you feel safe and assured. It's not at all like watching The Exorcist where you feel naked and vulnerable. That's not to say the Sixth Sense is not effective. There are many little clawing moments along the way, and a couple of genuine (7.5) This is a subtle horror film. It has moments of menacing suspense, mild paranormal, intense drama and eerie uncertainty, but all the while you feel safe and assured. It's not at all like watching The Exorcist where you feel naked and vulnerable. That's not to say the Sixth Sense is not effective. There are many little clawing moments along the way, and a couple of genuine scares, before the landmine ending. It got me - and I enjoyed the experience! A well made film by all involved. Expand
  46. ThomasM.
    Feb 7, 2005
    Spannend und mit überraschendem Ende! Einer der besten Willis-Filme.
  47. PatrickM.
    Mar 19, 2006
    This is a fantastic movie that is very unpredictable, suspenseful, and entertaining! I definitly recommend this movie to everyone!
  48. KenG.
    Aug 15, 2006
    The masterpiece that fooled us all into thinking its director was a talented film-maker.
  49. CerbionniM.
    Jul 3, 2008
    This great movie is one of my top 10 favorites of all times.
  50. DiegoC.
    Aug 11, 2008
    Bruce Willis is amazing. I was moved emotionally and intensely. A terrifying masterpiece.
  51. BobC.
    Aug 11, 2008
    Excellent and believable horror. It has a perfect sensation.
  52. AndrewF.
    Nov 22, 2001
    Nothing special. The ending is a complete turkey when you try and figure out the continuity. What's all this crap about the kid being such a good actor? Rob Reiner was doing better in movies like "Stand By Me" 15 years ago.
  53. Nicole
    Jul 17, 2001
    It's good, but it scared me. I couldn't sleep for a couple of days. The images are scary! It has a good ironic ending.
  54. LauraB.
    Jan 22, 2005
    Great, amazing! possibly one of the best films I've ever seen! It has the best twist and is not in the least predictable.
  55. MikeS.
    Jan 24, 2005
    The twist at the end, was something that I didnt expect! I recommend this movie!
  56. RishiS.
    Feb 25, 2005
    Nice film.
  57. JackS.
    Dec 17, 2008
    I was truely amazed with Bruce Willis. Every movie he plays in is always pretty good. This movie was outstanding. The ending was great the middle scenes were suspencful. The dead people walking around was a little disturbing, but it kept you watching. I say this is more of a suspence movie rather then a horror. It wasn't that scary, more starteling. A little messed up and creepy at I was truely amazed with Bruce Willis. Every movie he plays in is always pretty good. This movie was outstanding. The ending was great the middle scenes were suspencful. The dead people walking around was a little disturbing, but it kept you watching. I say this is more of a suspence movie rather then a horror. It wasn't that scary, more starteling. A little messed up and creepy at parts, but that was the main part of the movie. The little child in this movie did a great job. I can always see that he was scared. I liked the beggining, middle, and end of this suspenceful film. Expand
  58. Apr 10, 2015
    A modern classic in the thriller genre, The Sixth Sense is proof that the standards have been lowering themselves since Hitchcock, and by a lot. It's not clear whether this film is at times trying to be actually scary or is simply hightening the tension, with half jump scares and some sketched attempt at a scary soundtrack. I don't see how people call the final "revelation" (and note theA modern classic in the thriller genre, The Sixth Sense is proof that the standards have been lowering themselves since Hitchcock, and by a lot. It's not clear whether this film is at times trying to be actually scary or is simply hightening the tension, with half jump scares and some sketched attempt at a scary soundtrack. I don't see how people call the final "revelation" (and note the inverted commas) a "twist", when it was clear from twenty minutes in what the situation was. Maybe, as I said, standards have been lowered so much that people go see thriller movies with their brains turned off. To put the icing on the cake, everything is whispered in the hopes of giving dialogue depth, obviously failing.

Anyway, not everything is terrible: the idea is brilliant on paper, and it was supported by somewhat decent performances by Bruce Willis (we don't get to say that often) and Toni Collette. In fact, I think their performances were great when you wager in the childish script they had to deal with.
  59. Mar 30, 2015
    "The Sixth Sense" equates to little more than M. Night Shyamalan trying to compensate for his script's narrative shortcomings with an audacious twist ending that is illogical and does not make sense. Sound familiar? The atmosphere is built effectively enough for some chills, but the narrative is poorly thought out and meandering, and completely undercuts what suspense Shyamalan creates."The Sixth Sense" equates to little more than M. Night Shyamalan trying to compensate for his script's narrative shortcomings with an audacious twist ending that is illogical and does not make sense. Sound familiar? The atmosphere is built effectively enough for some chills, but the narrative is poorly thought out and meandering, and completely undercuts what suspense Shyamalan creates. With a placid, probably miscast Bruce Willis in the lead and Toni Collette performing well in an underwritten role, it is Haley Joel Osment who salvages the film with an empathetic and star-making portrait. It's a shame the rest of the film couldn't live up to his example. Expand
  60. Nov 21, 2014
    The Sixth Sense is just as down right eerie film. Its not really scary by any means but the way the film looks just creeps me out a little bit. Most of M. Night Shyamalan's are good in my mind and this is one of the better ones. Bruce Willis and Haley Joel Osment were great in this movie. Even if you know the spoilers in this film it is still enjoyable. The twist ending is perfect and IThe Sixth Sense is just as down right eerie film. Its not really scary by any means but the way the film looks just creeps me out a little bit. Most of M. Night Shyamalan's are good in my mind and this is one of the better ones. Bruce Willis and Haley Joel Osment were great in this movie. Even if you know the spoilers in this film it is still enjoyable. The twist ending is perfect and I never saw it coming. The Sixth Sense is an overall classic. Expand
  61. Mar 7, 2015
    Packed with suspense and featuring a smart twist ending, The Sixth Sense is by far the finest M. Night Shyamalan movie to date as it passes the boundaries of modern horror and suspense movie tropes.
  62. Oct 12, 2014
    "The Sixth Sense" is an unbelievably well-made movie. The acting from Bruce Willis is great as always, but Haley Joel Osment at only 11 years old gives arguably the best performance in the film. The story is always interesting, and there are quite a few legitimately scary scenes. The end twist was also extremely unexpected and, after a second viewing, it all makes sense with the rest of"The Sixth Sense" is an unbelievably well-made movie. The acting from Bruce Willis is great as always, but Haley Joel Osment at only 11 years old gives arguably the best performance in the film. The story is always interesting, and there are quite a few legitimately scary scenes. The end twist was also extremely unexpected and, after a second viewing, it all makes sense with the rest of the plot. What happened to you, Shyamalan? Expand
  63. Mar 31, 2015
    I am amazed by Mr. Shyamalan's visionary stylish sense in which he has our focus grasped into a situation that seems very paranormal in this horror masterpiece. Bruce Willis stars as Malcolm Crowe an expert child psychiatrist whose life and career is left in tragedy, after the suicide of a former patient who tried to kill him for failing to cure him of mysterious hallucinations, and toI am amazed by Mr. Shyamalan's visionary stylish sense in which he has our focus grasped into a situation that seems very paranormal in this horror masterpiece. Bruce Willis stars as Malcolm Crowe an expert child psychiatrist whose life and career is left in tragedy, after the suicide of a former patient who tried to kill him for failing to cure him of mysterious hallucinations, and to make up for his mistakes tries to help solve the case of Cole Sear an 11-year old boy in an emotional rising star-worthy performance by Haley Joel Osment, who has the same disturbing hallucinations as the former. when it becomes clear that Cole has a paranormal ability to communicate with the dead, a phenomenon that no one else would understand, the two embark on a meaningful adventure to find redirection in their lives, as they struggle to unravel the truth and fight off the horrors of the unexplainable sixth sense,. a perfect modern day Hitchcock of epic proportions every elements of tense and taut emotionally suspenseful power makes this a must-see thriller of the modern age and really worth a benefit from watch, It Really Is Im glad to have seen this film its the best horror attraction but more tense and in meaning as well as complexity its like the Hitchcock movie Hitchcock never made its an exhilarating epic that is enjoyable even for young audiences. Expand

1. Sometimes verges on silliness.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Keogh
    Chalk this film up as an unusually intelligent thriller about that which scares us the most: accepting our accidents of fate.
    It's far more loquacious and cerebral than your average run-of-the-mill thriller, but boy, when the relatively infrequent scares do come, they will pull you out of your seat and raise the hair on your arms.