The Social Network

8.2

1. Oct 1, 2010
    "The Social Network" was so good I don't even know where to begin. I can't, for the life of me, think of another film in recent years that's left me so wholeheartedly satisfied by the time the credits started rolling. This is some amazing, amazing stuff we've got here folks: don't miss it for the world.
  2. Oct 4, 2010
    Talk, talk, talk, snarky comment repeat. Socially inept rich kids whining about wanting more money and recognition. Unlikeable characters and absolutely no drama. I spent two hours waiting for the movie to begin and it never did. Simply an awful movie going exprerience.
  3. Oct 1, 2010
    Just saw this offering in a nearly empty theater in Naples, FL - another sign of the age of the population here. Anyway, the dialog is great - especially the opening scene - BUT unfortunately... it...continues - and the reason the dialog isn't great after a while is that it GRATES. By the end of the show I was convinced that the hero is nothing better than a high-achievingJust saw this offering in a nearly empty theater in Naples, FL - another sign of the age of the population here. Anyway, the dialog is great - especially the opening scene - BUT unfortunately... it...continues - and the reason the dialog isn't great after a while is that it GRATES. By the end of the show I was convinced that the hero is nothing better than a high-achieving pain-in-the-Asperger and the great cinematography, directing, acting, realism, etc. was a waste of skills. It's a movie done in by its protagonist. Expand
  4. Jul 5, 2011
    I felt that this movie needs an artist's statement: it certainly makes one feel guilty to be a Facebook user, perhaps that was its intent. At any rate, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being scolded while watching this movie. The delivery was somewhat abrasive, and while it was fascinating to watch the development of the phenomenon at the root of the story, none of the charactersI felt that this movie needs an artist's statement: it certainly makes one feel guilty to be a Facebook user, perhaps that was its intent. At any rate, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being scolded while watching this movie. The delivery was somewhat abrasive, and while it was fascinating to watch the development of the phenomenon at the root of the story, none of the characters interested me at all. Still, a fantastic ending. Expand
  5. Dec 19, 2013
    I was quite surprised by this. I was expecting the film to be a massive overexagerration and basically free advertising for Facebook, but the pacing, direction and length were perfect. The acting isn't great but the movie is admittedly entertaining to watch. Sure, there are no fillers and it starts immediately with no intro, but there seemed to be something missing. It felt heavily editedI was quite surprised by this. I was expecting the film to be a massive overexagerration and basically free advertising for Facebook, but the pacing, direction and length were perfect. The acting isn't great but the movie is admittedly entertaining to watch. Sure, there are no fillers and it starts immediately with no intro, but there seemed to be something missing. It felt heavily edited and seemed more like a two hour montage than an epic journey. Nevertheless, The Social Network is a worthy film but is definitely overrated. Expand
  6. Jan 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If not for Trent Reznor's music, I would have given this movie 3. I've seen it twice, no wait, I've seen it many times: the first time I did my best to reach the end after one week of seeing 15-minute chunks of the movie, the second time I managed to see the last 30 minutes of it. The only memorable scene that comes to my mind is the Winkelvoss brothers' at the Dean's office. Frankly, I do not understand all the hype for this movie. Eisenberg was good at depicting a selfish and antipathic protagonist, that's true. The music was good. However, the story was so annoying that I think they put Justin Timberlake and party scenes in the second part of the movie on purpose - Facebook was founded and there was nothing more to say, so Fincher had to lighten things up. Expand
  7. Jan 27, 2012
    Let's be straight. This movie should have won best picture. This film is perhaps the most representative film of my generation. We are obsessed with technology, status, materialism, and sex. Fincher's depiction of how Facebook was developed is fascinating. Facebook has come to dominate our way of communicating and looking at the world, and this film, although controversial, beautifullyLet's be straight. This movie should have won best picture. This film is perhaps the most representative film of my generation. We are obsessed with technology, status, materialism, and sex. Fincher's depiction of how Facebook was developed is fascinating. Facebook has come to dominate our way of communicating and looking at the world, and this film, although controversial, beautifully depicts the way in which the website became the monster it is today. Expand
  8. Aug 31, 2014
    One of the most important stories of our time to be told. It's told well, for the most part. However, the film is largely bland. The Social Network should not only be exciting but a riveting look at our journey into the future. I didn't get that.
  9. Jan 1, 2014
    The premise of how Facebook was invented is interesting and the performances are good but the film feels long after about and hour and a half due to its pacing. I think I now know why it was only £3 when ii bought it.
  10. Jul 30, 2013
    Not a very amusing movie with alot of fun in it.. Soundtrack is cool. This movie is based on the social network called Facebook... It maybe a true story but i find it dumb.. Going as far as going to book would have maybe been better cause its nothing huge.. its no big famous movie. In fact, its boring. 1/10 since the soundtrack is good.
  11. Mar 17, 2013
    The movies worth watching, and the main actor does a great job being annoying! I guess that is the goal so points to him, but overall not my type of movie. This is a movie you see just so you don`t wonder if your missing out on something.
  12. Jan 3, 2015
    There's some good in it - it shows Ivy League and high tech venture cap in a stylish way that makes them look not so great. Every character sort of sucks - you sort of wish they could all loose. So watch it or don't - it really doesn't matter. Two hours spent on Facebook will probably be more entertaining.
  13. Feb 24, 2013
    The biggest of various achievements on The Social Network is directing. Mr. Fincher's work is unique and revolutionary. The editing, sound mixing, and fine acting made this movie a modern classic.
  14. Jun 26, 2013
    The story of facebook is apparently riveting enough to into a film, big mistake. The story is told through flashbacks from courtroom tribunals between Zuckerberg and the people he has managed to wrong. This is confusing as it switches from one law suit to another without giving any idea of which came first. Add to this one is abruptly dropped from the film and focus is centered on theThe story of facebook is apparently riveting enough to into a film, big mistake. The story is told through flashbacks from courtroom tribunals between Zuckerberg and the people he has managed to wrong. This is confusing as it switches from one law suit to another without giving any idea of which came first. Add to this one is abruptly dropped from the film and focus is centered on the other I began to wonder why not focus on one in the first place. One of my biggest problems with the film was Jessie Eisenberg and writer Aaron Sorkins Portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg. As one character puts it "you're not an but your trying very hard to be one." This is the perfect description of the character, who is completely unlikeable with his rambling monologues and irritating behavior. The rest of the cast too is unbearable and i would struggle to find I a character Iiked. The direction too leaves a lot to be desired as director David Fincher struggles at making one scene different from another as all anyone seems to be doing is sitting at a computer. The film seems to require a degree in computer programing as the character spew technical lingo constantly, helping add to the difficulty following the plot. Add to this a terrible ending and you would think this was the worst film ever, however for some reason the film was one I couldn't stop watching for some reason.
    Rating 4 out of 10
    Much like facebook this film is a waste of time that you can't stop looking at
  15. Dec 30, 2013
    Maybe not understanding all the programming and math involved in the technical side of the project makes me feel like an idiot? I have no idea what any of equations or algorithms mean, or how to write script.
    Maybe I’m a little jealous because I never got to go to college parties as glamorous as the ones in this film?
    Or maybe the problem is that the subject matter it just so banal that
    Or maybe the problem is that the subject matter it just so banal that despite the quality of the production, this film is lost on me?
    I have a problem with this film that is so full of maybes. And yet for all its weaknesses, it won three Oscars, albeit one of them was for Baxter and Wall's editing, which is superb. Both editors have worked on numerous Fincher productions.

None of the actors are convincing at portraying the real people they are supposed represent. Maybe that’s the point? They are attempting to play versions of Zuckerberg and Co. that seem more interesting than the real, live versions.
    I guess I see the reasoning behind this. As activities, creating companies, programming computers, or writing software, no matter how profound, aren’t exactly as riveting as invading Bin Laden’s compound, or smuggling blood diamonds out of Liberia.
    Still, I am no fan of Jesse Eisenberg. His success is baffling to me. He was for a while a Michael Cera impersonation gone wrong, now, whatever he is, he does it well. He sells tons of tickets…but none of them are to me.
    The best part about this film is that it has Rooney Mara, briefly. Later she becomes Lisbeth in Dragon Tattoo.

The most interesting thing about this film is simply that it exists and was so successful. Rather, that a production company actually paid David Fincher to try and create a full-on thriller packed with betraying, greedy, snarky little boys either getting their way, or losing millions of dollars. Poor babies.
    Even if in the end Zuckerberg did create something monumental, so what. It's just a monument to a monument. What does any of this represent? How does any of this change the world?
    It’s not like Facebook has cured any sick people or stopped any wars. It’s arguably even created a recent few (of both).
  16. Feb 11, 2011
    The social network is an alright movie. The star of the film, Jesse Eisenberg, did great acting on the creator of Facebook. But when I watched the film, the movie was just fast talking. It was like I was watching Gilmore Girls but with smart guys in it. This repetitive fast talking got annoying and sometimes I didn't even know what the main characters were saying. If you're a fan ofThe social network is an alright movie. The star of the film, Jesse Eisenberg, did great acting on the creator of Facebook. But when I watched the film, the movie was just fast talking. It was like I was watching Gilmore Girls but with smart guys in it. This repetitive fast talking got annoying and sometimes I didn't even know what the main characters were saying. If you're a fan of Facebook, then you will love this movie. But otherwise, just skip this movie and watch something else that Jesse Eisenberg did such as Zombieland or Cursed. Expand
  17. Oct 25, 2010
    One dimensional, uninteresting characters with no redeeming qualities. I didn't care what happened to any of them. I've liked most of David Fincher's movies, but this one lacked heart and depth. Too much of the movie was spent explaining. Show me don't tell me.
  18. Oct 20, 2010
    Technically well-made but shallow and unsatisfying. Fincher's flashback storytelling didn't make me feel like I was getting different perspectives and narrative layers. Rather, I felt like I was watching an intervention where everyone else could freely speak except the very person at the centre of the screen. Instead of a balanced, well-rounded portrayal of the facts, the filmmakersTechnically well-made but shallow and unsatisfying. Fincher's flashback storytelling didn't make me feel like I was getting different perspectives and narrative layers. Rather, I felt like I was watching an intervention where everyone else could freely speak except the very person at the centre of the screen. Instead of a balanced, well-rounded portrayal of the facts, the filmmakers dramatised the whiny testimonies of scorned 'victims' to depict a character so contorted and contrived he didn't look like a real human being. Someone as aware of his brilliance as the on-screen Mark Zuckerberg wouldn't feel insecure enough to crave acceptance into a final club. His natural genius would set him apart enough and he wouldn't waste time garnering adulation from less intelligent people to affirm that. The movie depicts the cinematic Mark Zuckerberg being so engrossed in creating revolutionary projects that he pays very little attention to social conventions and appearance. Yet the same acutely logical person wastes a chunk of the movie being envious that his friend Eduardo is more 'popular'. To create a Shakespearean-like tragedy, Aaron Sorkin afflicted the protagonist with various 'fatal flaws' to amplify conflict. Facts were twisted to fit into the salacious story the filmmakers wanted to tell. Real people were twisted to fit into the salacious characters the filmmakers wanted to show. The movie was nowhere as clever as it thought it was and by the end of the first scene you knew exactly what it was trying to say ('social misfit invents new way to socialise'). It's as if the filmmakers started the film with that message and then worked backwards, fitting real life people and events around that theme rather than use the truth. At its worst, TSN was slanderous non-fiction masquerading as entertainment. At its best, it was entertaining fiction masquerading as fact....Either way for me it didn't live up to its hype. Expand
  19. BKM
    Oct 7, 2010
    Fincher and Sorkin's take on the creation of Facebook and the man behind it is cold, lean and ruthless in it's depiction of how narcissism is a driving force for those who achieve the greatest success. The performances are all strong and the movie never gives in to any cheap story-telling ploys, but ultimately it is easier to admire than to love.
  20. Oct 7, 2010
    This was a very entertaining film and I did not come out regretting I spent my money on the ticket. That being said I think this movie is incredibly overrated. I do not understand what people saw that make them say this is one of the best movies in recent history, I think that might have to do with how bad most of the current movies have been for a few years. I recommend you skip past theThis was a very entertaining film and I did not come out regretting I spent my money on the ticket. That being said I think this movie is incredibly overrated. I do not understand what people saw that make them say this is one of the best movies in recent history, I think that might have to do with how bad most of the current movies have been for a few years. I recommend you skip past the hype and go see it with reasonable expectations and in the end you will find yourself enjoying a "decent" film. Expand
  21. Oct 1, 2010
    The best film of 2010 so far. Sorkin's dialogue is terrific and pretty hilarious, and Fincher directs with such clarity so that we are never confused as to what's going on even as the film jumps in and out of flashbacks, often for comic effect. The ending is surprisingly emotional, and it's easy the Shakespearean style tragedy installed in Eisenberg's Zuckerberg. Eisenberg and TimberlakeThe best film of 2010 so far. Sorkin's dialogue is terrific and pretty hilarious, and Fincher directs with such clarity so that we are never confused as to what's going on even as the film jumps in and out of flashbacks, often for comic effect. The ending is surprisingly emotional, and it's easy the Shakespearean style tragedy installed in Eisenberg's Zuckerberg. Eisenberg and Timberlake both deserve Oscar nominations, and it's almost assured that you will hear this film's name multiple times when the award nominations come rolling around in early 2011. Go see this film whether you have a Facebook or not; it's that exciting and terrific. Expand
  22. Feb 6, 2012
    The Social Network brings unforgettable performances, along with its fantastic screenplay, a great entertaining story make for a complete masterpiece. And the one behind it all is David Fincher well done. I give this movie 97%.
  23. Sep 24, 2011
    Eduardo Saverin: "Sorry! My Prada's at the cleaners! Along with my hoodie and my **** you' flip-flops, you pretentious douchebag!"

The Social Network is DEFINITELY the best movie of the year about the substantial growth of the disreputable but well-off website, Facebook. Everything was magnificent, with the well-written screenplay of Sorkin and great direction of Fincher, its simply the best. People did give second opinions about this movie (being about facebook), but the Social Network is the complete opposite of what they thought.

This film is set in 2003, about a Harvard sophomore named Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg), that comes up with an idea (while "intoxicated"). And creates a website that allows you to rate the hotness of girl in Harvard dorms, which reaches 200,000 views and brings it's attention to the Winklevoss twins. They meet up with Mark and tell their idea of making a social network, using "Harvard.edu". Thinking that he can do better, he meets up with his friend, Edwardo Saverin, and decides that they will make the website instead (splitting the share 30/70). when Facebook gets around, Sean Parker (Justin Timberlake), creator of napster, wants to get in with the project, and gets a warm welcome from everyone except Saverin.//

I don't want to tell you the whole movie (even though you probably already know), so I think I'll stop there. The Social Network was directed by the one and only, David Fincher (Zodiac, Fight Club, Se7en, and more), and is his absolute best work. The best acting would have to be tied with Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfeild, showing their best support for a movie. I wasn't surprised when I found out that Peter Travers (Rolling Stone) said that this was the best of the year, and it should of won the Grammy, instead of Kings Speech. But it did win the Grammy for best soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, for film editing by Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter, and for the adapted screenplay (of course) by Andy Sorkin.

In the two-disc collectors edition, it shows Fincher's distinctive technique in film making. shooting the first scene for ninety-nine times, David's patient directing tries to make this movie be perfect as possible, and of course, is successful. Fincher and Cronenweth made a great choice using the best High Def quality so far, by RED Digital Cinema. It interests me a lot that almost every known movie coming out recently, is being filmed in RED. I looked it up and most of the products they sell is well-over 20,000 dollars (must be really good). They're using it again while they reunite to work with a new remake of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", which I have high hopes for.

Andy Sorkin's adapted screenplay is one of the most intelligent and skilled I have seen so far. nonetheless the screenplay being so complex, it must of been complicated for the editors (Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter). But by cutting all the camera angles and showing everybody have their spotlight, they succeed and win an Oscar for their tremendous support. The costume design was nothing special, but is will put into, wearing the same clothing that they wore in real life (not exactly). You can never get enough of The Social Network, watching it the thousandth time still gives me the same satisfaction as the the first time, if not more. You can't miss a second of this movie! if you love this film as much as me, buy the two-disc collectors edition, because who wouldn't love over two hours of special features. Eduardo Saverin: "You better lawyer up **** because I'm not coming back for 30%, I'm coming back for EVERYTHING."
  24. Jun 16, 2011
    Although this had potential to be a good move, it wasn't. The acting is phenomenal and the direction is sleek, the main problem is the script. Almost all characters sound like encyclopedia's when they talk. All dialogue seems scripted and not natural at all. But, the worst part is the score. This score is flat, and has no rhythm at all. The score consists mainly of seemingly metallicAlthough this had potential to be a good move, it wasn't. The acting is phenomenal and the direction is sleek, the main problem is the script. Almost all characters sound like encyclopedia's when they talk. All dialogue seems scripted and not natural at all. But, the worst part is the score. This score is flat, and has no rhythm at all. The score consists mainly of seemingly metallic sounds and little beat. It is an awful score. The score and the dialogue drag the movie down from potential greatness, to mediocrity. Although Jesse Eisenberg gives a strong performance, it is not enough to save this movie. Expand
  25. Mar 8, 2013
    Absolutely ghastly film, jaw-droppingly overrated, intensely unlikable cast, story is completely un-engaging and shallow. I mean I could go on for hours. Maybe Zuckerburg speaks fast to emphasise his high intelligence and being completely nuts but does it have to be so difficult for us to understand? I was completely and utterly lost within the opening scene in the bar, I had absolutely noAbsolutely ghastly film, jaw-droppingly overrated, intensely unlikable cast, story is completely un-engaging and shallow. I mean I could go on for hours. Maybe Zuckerburg speaks fast to emphasise his high intelligence and being completely nuts but does it have to be so difficult for us to understand? I was completely and utterly lost within the opening scene in the bar, I had absolutely no idea what Zuckerburg was saying. I have to congratulate David Fincher, he has single handedly made every character in this film detestable, pompous, arrogant and above all else, total I have never seen so many flock together in one film. Story is simple one wants to sell his idea to the world but other say they conceived the idea and bitter disputes and quarrels ensue. Some who apparently created Napster discovers Zuckerburg and decides to assist him so he can earn lots of money and get famous, how inspiring... An absolute shocker (meant negatively) of a film, which does not in any way deserve it's acclaim. I know everyone has their own opinion on everything but I can't for the life of me see how anyone can actually enjoy this useless excuse for a seat in a cinema, for christ sake it doesn't even have any subtle humour...and it's a bloody American film! I'm baffled, absolutely baffled! Expand
  26. Nov 7, 2013
    The Social Network perfectly explains about controversial-but-legendary website Facebook, which has
    forever changed the way of online communication. Handled by perfect pacing, perfect writing by Sorkin, perfect direction by Fincher, perfect performances by Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield, perfect editing, and a perfect sight of its music score, The Social Network carefully explains about how its website manages to overcome all the controversy that surrounds it, and changed into something big bigger than its features and I can't clearly explain how. It also provides a determined connection to its flawed protagonists, who has worked hard to execute this ultimate plan. Yet, also, it comes clear to us, that their flaws would never possibly go away. Instead, they improve that to Facebook's strength and hopes that it will help. That is the film's magic: It makes us believe. The Social Network is one of those movies that you'll be begging to talk about for a long time, and it proves no way to deny that.
  27. Dec 15, 2013
    I know this is really good because I am still mesmerized every time I come across it. "I'm just gonna watch this one scene and then I'm going to get back to my life" and an hour later I'm finishing the movie again. It immediately draws me in and I can't look away. I don't care if it's accurate or not, it's entertaining.
  28. Oct 1, 2010
    Great direction and cinematography, with a great screenplay, this film is definitely going to be in the Oscar race. All of the actors are great and despite the somewhat exaggerated party scenes, this movie feels very realistic. Just because it's a movie about Facebook, doesn't mean its corny or aimed only at young people. You should see this film no matter how old you are, even if youGreat direction and cinematography, with a great screenplay, this film is definitely going to be in the Oscar race. All of the actors are great and despite the somewhat exaggerated party scenes, this movie feels very realistic. Just because it's a movie about Facebook, doesn't mean its corny or aimed only at young people. You should see this film no matter how old you are, even if you don't use Facebook. Overall a 10/10 and the second best movie of the year after Inception. Expand
  29. Oct 2, 2010
    I'm not sure whether it was too much hype, or that massive 97 on Metacritic, but this movie simply didn't live up to my expectations. It was NEARLY as good as Pulp Fiction, or The Hurt Locker, or Shawshank, or other seminal movies that defined the last decade or so. It was a really good story, and it brought me in, but it lacked a little something. At the end of the film, I just wantedI'm not sure whether it was too much hype, or that massive 97 on Metacritic, but this movie simply didn't live up to my expectations. It was NEARLY as good as Pulp Fiction, or The Hurt Locker, or Shawshank, or other seminal movies that defined the last decade or so. It was a really good story, and it brought me in, but it lacked a little something. At the end of the film, I just wanted "more." Rooney Mara is awesome, and I look forward to seeing her in Dragon Tattoo, and the "twins" are hilarious. Timberlake was hyped too much - he was just serviceable. See it, but moderate your expectations, people. Expand
  30. Sep 28, 2011
    Although the movie starts as where you would expect and end as you would expect, David Fincher's "The Social Network" is heart warm and powerful, a perfect combination of Aaron Sorkin's witty script and David Fincher's smart direction. And yes, it is one of Oscar winning movies of the year.
  31. May 16, 2011
    This movie was amazing. It's incredibly well acted and written. It gets branded as the socially awkward nerd movie (and being one probably helps) but it's really about all of Gen Y. If you missed it when it was in theaters you need to see it.
  32. Jan 29, 2011
    The reviews seem as inflated as Harvard's grade scale itself. I watched the movie and found nothing enlightening or groundbreaking about it. Though, I can see how adults and older reviews may have found it "amazing" due to the novelty of the subject (facebook).
  33. Nov 2, 2010
    The accuracy of this film to true events is a matter I have heard being discussed lately but also one I deliberately chose to ignore. I accepted this film for what it is: verisimilitude, somewhere in between fiction and non-fiction. What we are left with is a captivating story with substantial characters and engrossing on-screen interrelationships. A scene which really made in impact onThe accuracy of this film to true events is a matter I have heard being discussed lately but also one I deliberately chose to ignore. I accepted this film for what it is: verisimilitude, somewhere in between fiction and non-fiction. What we are left with is a captivating story with substantial characters and engrossing on-screen interrelationships. A scene which really made in impact on me is the opening scene with Jesse Eisenberg's and Rooney Mara's characters. Jesse Eisenberg's dialog immediately shows him to be an intelligent but socially inept person perfectly introducing him as a questionable character. Questionable because throughout the movie I was asking myself: is he arrogant or ignorant? Is he really the anti-hero or is he easily led, unaware of the emotions of others? The sequence of events is sometimes non-linear, especially so in the beginning section but I found interpreting the different scenes involved me actively in the movie and was refreshing.
    This was a movie about a phenomena that has touched every one of us (even those who don't have Facebook know what it is!) and, even though some may debate about whether it really tells the tale, it was a brilliant movie, entertaining and inspiring.
  34. Oct 5, 2010
    Disappointing, given the talent of Aaron Sorkin. I'm happy to enjoy movies based on the work of a Broadway playwright, even if the effect is one of staginess. But having your central character remain a cipher is always a dangerous strategy. Jesse Eisenberg does a great job of trying to fill in the blanks of Mark Zuckerberg, as written, and he deserves high praise. Of course, SorkinDisappointing, given the talent of Aaron Sorkin. I'm happy to enjoy movies based on the work of a Broadway playwright, even if the effect is one of staginess. But having your central character remain a cipher is always a dangerous strategy. Jesse Eisenberg does a great job of trying to fill in the blanks of Mark Zuckerberg, as written, and he deserves high praise. Of course, Sorkin and Fincher may have been constrained by legal injuctions, so MZ had to be a cardboard character. A workaround was to create the two best female parts in the story as bookends: the girlfriend in the first scene (who sees into his soul) and the second chair attorney at the deposition (who sees even deeper) in the final scene. Smart choices, here, Mr. Sorkin. But the movie ended and I felt the Zuckerberg character had never arrived. Expand
  35. Aug 9, 2011
    Wow! What a film. My favourite since Avatar. Eissenberg is great, and Andrew Garfield is also great as Eduardo. I would recommend it to anyone. A must see!
  36. Feb 7, 2012
    Top 10 Movies of all time. The movie of how facebook was created. Its a classic. Loved the plot. i loved every thing on here this a very classical movie a one u wont regret
  37. Oct 1, 2010
    The Social Network is not simply a movie, but an experience of eclectic elements of great movie-making. Director Dave Fincher and writer Aaron Sorkin's depiction of the roots of social networking site Facebook is an engrossing film that not only defines the current technology-based generation, but sets film standards of brilliant writing and film structure.

Fincher and Sorkin's film tells

Fincher and Sorkin's film tells the fascinating story of Mark Zuckenburg and how he made a small idea into the billion dollar corporation Facebook. The story is shown through flashbacks and flash-forwards, simultaneously addressing the lawsuits made towards Zuckenburg, and the dark and gritty story of the formation of Facebook. While the accusations of Zuckenburg's thievery of intellectual property are in tact, many of the film's details are debatable.

The incertitude of Zuckerburg's story is what makes this film works. Portrayed by Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Zuckerburg's ambiguous character is the film's focus and what makes it so appealing. Is Zuckburg driven by the rejection of his girlfriend (Rooney Mara), or is it superficially the thought of money? The character's innocent and snooty manner is a mystery that establishes this film. Eisenberg gives the performance of his life as he puts so much depth in the character and raises so many questions.

Supporting Eisenberg is Andrew Garfield, who I once again have to give praise. After seeing a powerful performance from Garfield in Never Let Me Go, his role as Zuckerburg's co-founder really shows his ability to take on diverse roles. Garfield gives an accurate portrayal of a deceived friend, and the subtlety that he puts into his performance is mesmerizing.

What gives the characters this type of depth is Aaron Sorkin's Oscar-worthy screenplay. I cannot recall a film with this much witty and movie-driving dialogue. I can not emphasize the film's screenplay brilliance, it really gives the film reality, depth, and entertainment value. Resulting from the script, the plot is fast-paced and addicting; It keeps the audience curious and occupied for the whole movie. But while the plot and script are almost perfect, there is an absence of a big moment. The movie is no doubt intense, but there are no moments that standout from the overall film; There is no buildup of emotions in a single scene, something I believe a perfect film should have.

The Social Network is a movie that many will look back as a defining 21st century work of art. Overall, Fincher's film is modern, provocative, and technically flawless. The Oscar race has started, and the writing in The Social Network will be hard to beat.
  38. Jan 14, 2011
    The social newtwork is without a doubt the best movie i have ever seen in my whole life. Eisenberg has an oscar winning performance, justin timberlake is fantastic, and the overall movie is by far the best movie of the year
  39. Jan 23, 2011
    Don't believe the hype. This movie is a dreadful bore with unlikeable characters. Really annoying and pointless movie. Its only rated so high because of the 500 Millions users on Facebook who decided to see it.
  40. Oct 10, 2010
    I didn't really like it. I didn't catch a lot of it. I would have to watch it again. It seemed to business like. But like I said. I would have to watch it again to see if I really liked it 5/10
  41. Feb 27, 2011
    This movie is a total rubbish, very boring. Honestly, all those reviews must be some scam. It's just as somebody mentioned here: rich kids blablabla on how much more money they want. Bad acting, plot was not interesting at all. Don't waste the money for this.
  42. Oct 4, 2010
    This movie was interesting, but it wasn't even one tenth as good as "The Town" was. Sorry, but the 9.0 score is over done in my book (I thought it was an average).
  43. Nov 16, 2010
    It is not often that I walk out of a movie that I paid to see, but this was one that I walked out on (along with my wife, who agreed wholeheartely with me). My only regret is that I didn't walk out sooner. I found this film so boring that I almost fell asleep. All this "clever" talk by a bunch of rich, spoiled kids, which just droned on and on. I found not a single interesting character inIt is not often that I walk out of a movie that I paid to see, but this was one that I walked out on (along with my wife, who agreed wholeheartely with me). My only regret is that I didn't walk out sooner. I found this film so boring that I almost fell asleep. All this "clever" talk by a bunch of rich, spoiled kids, which just droned on and on. I found not a single interesting character in this film. Let me be clear that I am not a "social networker, "so perhaps that influenced my thoughts about this stinker. Maybe if you're infatuated with My Space or Twitter, or whatever, this film would have a different impact on you. Let me also say that I am a college graduate (and also have a professional degree), so it's not that I'm some low-life that can't appreciate artistic films. I really can't understand why this movie got such good reviews. Sometimes I agree with critics, but this was not one of those times.sI thought is was important to take a stand on this one, to dare to disagree with the critics and to call this dreadful movie's bluff!. Expand
  44. Feb 6, 2011
    I really don't understand the ratings here. This dialogue was good, but the plot just dragged on with no real defining moments. Someone said they wished there was another hour; I felt like there already was.
  45. Feb 13, 2011
    There are two distinct voices behind this film: one is world weary, cynical, and blatantly cashing in (at last) - while the other is arguably cautious - straddling the line between satire, and melodrama - these are the voices of David Fincher, and Aaron Sorkin. Fincher: safely and firmly planted in the pantheon of great filmmakers; a provocateur, innovator (what have you) - with likelyThere are two distinct voices behind this film: one is world weary, cynical, and blatantly cashing in (at last) - while the other is arguably cautious - straddling the line between satire, and melodrama - these are the voices of David Fincher, and Aaron Sorkin. Fincher: safely and firmly planted in the pantheon of great filmmakers; a provocateur, innovator (what have you) - with likely nothing to lose. Then thereâ Expand
  46. Nov 30, 2010
    Complete garbage. The film was as much true to the real events as I was to enjoying it. It is just a cheap cash in by the producers to make a dishonest buck from the "500,000" facebookers.
  47. Dec 12, 2010
    Put down the kool-aid!

I'm as much a fan of Sorkin's writing as anybody, and the dialogue rolls well, but you can't build a story on the backs of whiny, impotent losers who don't even struggle in their journey to build a "business" as simple as Facebook. Performances were fine, and it looked great, but the story seems ridiculously overdrawn. To suggest that the creation of Facebook was
    Put down the kool-aid!

Performances were fine, and it looked great, but the story seems ridiculously overdrawn. To suggest that the creation of Facebook was built upon these moments of "genius" is outrageous. Could anyone seriously argue that the site is not a rip-off of Myspace and Friendster? Of course Z improved on the model, but it was hardly an original idea.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a bunch of characters as dull as this group, and if I felt anything at all for any of them, it was slight disgust. The representation of business dealings was as inept as we can expect from the Hollywood-detached, but couldn't Columbia Pictures afford a consultant?

Reznor, on the other hand, is the only genius involved in this whole mess: his uninspired, inane beats are the perfect accompaniment to watching paint dry.
  48. Jan 3, 2012
    I enjoyed this. Didn't want to at first, but I liked it. The subject matter didn't seem like it would be interesting, but the angle they took on Zuckerberg made it so.
  49. Jan 29, 2011
    Defriend this! A great trailer is answered by an obviously failed story. Ditch the lame, depo-faux conflict and tell a story about compelling people and a transformative technology over the past decade, and I'm you're friend. The deposition scenes KILL this film. Like Jean-Luc Goddard, I wanna machine gun these leaches! (And so do my friends.) Fortunately, the performances are compelling.Defriend this! A great trailer is answered by an obviously failed story. Ditch the lame, depo-faux conflict and tell a story about compelling people and a transformative technology over the past decade, and I'm you're friend. The deposition scenes KILL this film. Like Jean-Luc Goddard, I wanna machine gun these leaches! (And so do my friends.) Fortunately, the performances are compelling. And there's nothing wrong with Harvard that enrolling massive numbers of HOT blondes cannot improve. I understand Iceland is for sale~and according to my many Facebook friends, the Icelanders are the hottest of the Nordic race! OR, as a Soup Nazi would say, "NO Oscar for YOU!" Expand
  50. Lyn
    Jan 15, 2011
    I certainly wouldn't call the film amazing. It did succeed in making me feel icky for my participation in Facebook, further enriching the world's most obnoxious billionaire! But my respect for this movie -- in which the acting is good but every character is despicable -- was tempered by the Time article I read later about the real Zuckerberg. It seems he's very unlike the computer savantI certainly wouldn't call the film amazing. It did succeed in making me feel icky for my participation in Facebook, further enriching the world's most obnoxious billionaire! But my respect for this movie -- in which the acting is good but every character is despicable -- was tempered by the Time article I read later about the real Zuckerberg. It seems he's very unlike the computer savant portrayed in the film. Just another chance for Aaron Sorkin to spin his endless snarky dialogue. That said, Jesse Eisenburg is excellent as always, the "twins" were almost as creepy as those Aryan psychopaths in "Funny Games," and Timberlake quite a surprise as the smarmy founder of Napster. Expand
  51. Nov 17, 2010
    Click to connect! With assured performances by the the whole cast ensemble but particularly those of Eisenberg (playing the socially immature geek that reinvented the way people connect socially over the web) and Garfield, mature directing from Fincher (one of the most gifted directors of our time) and a razor sharp script by Sorkin, it is a film that will stand out in the upcoming awardsClick to connect! With assured performances by the the whole cast ensemble but particularly those of Eisenberg (playing the socially immature geek that reinvented the way people connect socially over the web) and Garfield, mature directing from Fincher (one of the most gifted directors of our time) and a razor sharp script by Sorkin, it is a film that will stand out in the upcoming awards race. Everything clicked into place and I surely connected. Expand
  52. Oct 6, 2010
    The Social Network is a good movie, not a great one. A great movie, a 10, is The Lives of Others, Tokyo Story, The Leopard--films like that. That said, a key reason The Social Network is so over-praised, and many viewers and critics are so thrilled by it, is because so many viewers and critics of the film, critics especially, are bi-coastal Jews who are thrilled by the film's story about aThe Social Network is a good movie, not a great one. A great movie, a 10, is The Lives of Others, Tokyo Story, The Leopard--films like that. That said, a key reason The Social Network is so over-praised, and many viewers and critics are so thrilled by it, is because so many viewers and critics of the film, critics especially, are bi-coastal Jews who are thrilled by the film's story about a "meritocratic" Jewish "genius" at Harvard who screws the WASP Porcellian aristos, whose club he could no more join than jump over the moon, out of the profits for their own idea by stealing it. It's the ethnic and class politics that make the film over-rated the way Sophie's Choice, a good but not great film too, also was. David Denby in The New Yorker even calls Zuckerberg a "hero." Of what? Moxie? Chutzpah? By that standard, Madoff was a super-hero. At the same time, the film itself seems almost a critical meditative allegory of the way the battle for money and status in America that Jews have had to wage, by hook or by crook, against the once-dominant, anti-Semitic, and exclusionary WASP upper-class has warped some Jews and undermined the moral values of both the Jewish religion and secular Jewish humanism. In fact, Zuckerberg in the film is the most negative image of a Jew in a mainstream American film I can recall. He's an arrogant, creepy, borderline sociopathic jerk, with no evident ethical principles at all. He happily stabs his Jewish only friend in the back right along with the WASPs. He's a sort of Shylock of software, but much less ambiguous morally and humanly than Shakespeare's great creation. He makes Sammy Glick look like nothing. Sorkin and Rudin seem deeply interested in the cost of the Jewish race for wealth and status in Madoff's America. A timely theme indeed, and one that must be especially pertinent for Hollywood insiders like them. For unethical Jews from Madoff to Zuckerberg, America seems to have been closer to Babylon than Jerusalem, and this is a point well worth making in a film like The Social Network. Zuckerberg is a sort of book-end with Dustin Hoffman's breakthrough role for Jews in The Graduate forty five years ago. That Mike Nichols film cheered, and we all cheered with it, as Ben stole Katherine Ross from the Berkeley WASPy golden boy at the Christian altar itself. It was about time that Jews won victories like that in America with hustle and character (vs. the WASP's frat boy entitled vapidity). But instead of presenting a likable Jewish hero at odds with "plastics," The Social Network gives us a total jerk unredeemed by his clumsy geekiness, a thief who seems to personify the cost in corruption of forty years of endless, relentless striving by Jews on the make like Zuckerberg in Madoff's America. Expand
  53. Nov 14, 2010
    Great movie, but did you really enjoy it? I, for one, will not be watching it again in a hurry, no matter how good it was. The plot and characters were great and the ideas and themes beneath it were very clear, but this a a reasonably lackluster movie, very little subtlety
  54. Oct 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "The Social Network" It is only talking it never is any action in it. i thought this film was like doing it with violence but it was doing it with suing and talking. this movie could been good. Expand
  55. Nov 2, 2010
    Pretty good movie. Saw it with freinds and everyone liked it. Definitely worth seeing and would recommend it. I liked the actors too. It made me feel bad for Eduardo though. He seems to have gotten a rough deal.
  56. Nov 4, 2010
    This movie is fantastically entertaining and captivating. I was totally swept away and forgot I was even watching a movie! My favorite movie of the year. It has been a long time since I walked out of a cinema feeling this satisfied. Technically brilliant, interesting characters and popular culture. Could one ask for any more?
  57. May 10, 2011
    The best movie of 2010. It's a great story. Both funny and dramatic. Well shot. Well cast. Great music.
  58. Mar 26, 2011
    I can't remember the last time i have seen a good "based on a true story" movie. This is great and i can just watch it over and over again!!! The critics did not lie
  59. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    A movie for our generation. A very smart thrill ride, that doesn't need special effects or explosions. It's a "no he didn't" type a picture that deservesevery bit recognition it has received. From the Directing (David Fincher, I forgive you for Benjamin Button), right down to the awesome score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.
  60. Aug 23, 2011
    The Social Network, this film is not about FACEBOOK. This film visualises the mediocrity of man thriving to attain success in his life with a normal conscience as everyone possessed in a run-of-the-mill life. Actually David Fincher sculptures a mirror which reflects the prevailing situation of this competitive world. When we can heed through this mirror, we can also see us. This is moreThe Social Network, this film is not about FACEBOOK. This film visualises the mediocrity of man thriving to attain success in his life with a normal conscience as everyone possessed in a run-of-the-mill life. Actually David Fincher sculptures a mirror which reflects the prevailing situation of this competitive world. When we can heed through this mirror, we can also see us. This is more than a masterpiece. Expand
  61. Aug 10, 2011
    This movie is realistic, incredibly entertaining and bursting with incredible performances especially from Andrew Garfield and Jesse Eisenberg. The thing that is pretty remarkable about his character is that he's arrogant and unlikable which the movie makes clear but you still sort of root for him. At least I did. The editing also works very well with the events that lead up to the lawsuitThis movie is realistic, incredibly entertaining and bursting with incredible performances especially from Andrew Garfield and Jesse Eisenberg. The thing that is pretty remarkable about his character is that he's arrogant and unlikable which the movie makes clear but you still sort of root for him. At least I did. The editing also works very well with the events that lead up to the lawsuit being recalled and flashing back to the meeting every once in a while. One of the best movies of 2010 Expand
  62. Dec 20, 2011
    Forget Facebook. I couldn't careless about the social-networking phenomenon that seems to be intent on pulling every living soul into its piracy-eroding clutches. For me this is well acted, directed and scripted story about a geek that stumbles upon his own never-ending supply of gold. Couldn't careless about the historical accuracies. I was thoroughly entertained, and will watch againForget Facebook. I couldn't careless about the social-networking phenomenon that seems to be intent on pulling every living soul into its piracy-eroding clutches. For me this is well acted, directed and scripted story about a geek that stumbles upon his own never-ending supply of gold. Couldn't careless about the historical accuracies. I was thoroughly entertained, and will watch again sometime soon. Expand
  63. Dec 27, 2011
    Originally, I had little to no expectations to this movie as to me, it was simply known as "The Facebook Movie". I knew next to nothing about the cast, plot, or any other important detail so I essentially went into the movie on a whim, just based on the fact that my girlfriend had wanted to see it. By the end, I was blown away and it had instantly become one of my favorite films ofOriginally, I had little to no expectations to this movie as to me, it was simply known as "The Facebook Movie". I knew next to nothing about the cast, plot, or any other important detail so I essentially went into the movie on a whim, just based on the fact that my girlfriend had wanted to see it. By the end, I was blown away and it had instantly become one of my favorite films of all-time. Jessie Eisenberg establishes himself as the front-man, while Andrew Garfield also portrays a role that shows all of his assets appropriately. I'm seeing scores of 1 and 2 by users here and I'm sorry, but if you give this movie that low of a score, you're obviously not intellectual enough to understand it. This movie is so elegant and deep that you cannot help but fall in love with it. A true classic of our time and it will remain that way forever. Expand
  64. Mar 31, 2013
  65. Oct 1, 2010
    This movie is amazing! David Fincher selivers yet another masterpiece! The story of facebook is perfectly told by fabulous writing, great directing, and captivating performances!! See this movie now!!
  66. Jan 31, 2011
    Who in the world thought that making a video about a lame chat website which does nothing special should be shot, it has too much talk and almost not panache. It reminds me of those lame Barbie films, as it tries to make something out of something which has no relation to the cinema. Face book as a film, next there will be 'Brother Printers: the gripping tale of printing! in 3-D'
  67. Oct 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Am thinking as I write, it's been out THIS long? How can that be? At least it informs you out front what it's about, unlike some fish movie, purporting to be some kind of thriller or murder mystery music thing. This film is about a dinkhead, and how unfortunately, dinkheads make it. John Lennon was correct. Biggest B-heads around, make it. SAD. That's ultimately the trip, but sad in another way than expected from the other facebook film. Expand
  68. Oct 1, 2010
    Intelligent, great acting, and an interesting story about what really happened inside Facebook.
  69. Oct 1, 2010
    The best movie this year.
    I loved the tempo, the omnilogues, the brashness, the soundtrack, the story, the screenplay, the realism, and the well depicted volatility of our current social and capitalistic systems.
    I will probably see a showing again.
    Don't believe the hype - then go see it.
  70. Nov 19, 2010
    A fantastic movie. Brilliantly written with a good mixture of drama and comedy that never gets boring. Jesse Eisenberg does a great job in the role of Mark Zuckerberg. A definite must see.
  71. Oct 9, 2010
    A very good movie. Very interesting to see. Puts the way I perceive Facebook in a different light.
  72. Oct 12, 2010
    This movie has got to be one of the smartest, most clever movies that I have seen all year. I was actually really surprised about how well done The Social Network really was. A good 2 hours long, it didn't feel like it was endless, but it left me wanting more. The acting was generally good, but the movie's strength comes from its incredible screenplay and it's brilliant direction. FromThis movie has got to be one of the smartest, most clever movies that I have seen all year. I was actually really surprised about how well done The Social Network really was. A good 2 hours long, it didn't feel like it was endless, but it left me wanting more. The acting was generally good, but the movie's strength comes from its incredible screenplay and it's brilliant direction. From Alien 3 and Fight club to Zodiac and Benjamin Button, David Fincher has come a long way, and all of that hard work has paid off with a near-flawless film. The shots in The Social Network are just beautiful, and the cleverly ingenious writer should be commended. I can definitely say that this year's Oscar's ceremony will be a no-brainer! Expand
  73. Oct 4, 2010
    Everything about this film is phenomenal. The writing, the acting, the cinematography, and literally anything else you can think of. I actually cannot think of anything I didn't love about this movie. This is the most satisfied I've ever been after seeing a movie in theaters, and I highly recommend it to anyone.
  74. Oct 7, 2010
    Aside from some fancy crane shots, the story is like a really good extended episode of The West WIng. As metacritic goes aren't 100s meant for stories that are more significant than the origins of Facebook?
  75. Oct 16, 2010
    Amazingly satisfying film in every aspect. Acting, writing, directing, and production. The first scene will go down as a classic scene. Lots of very satisfying scenes. A fascinating main character.
  76. Oct 18, 2010
    This is an absolutely brilliant film which grabs your attention within the first 5 minutes and does not let go of you until the closing credits, no mean feat considering the subject matter. Jesse Eisenberg is perfect in the role of the very bright yet (very) gauche and socially inept young Mark Zuckenberg. He knows just how to play this kind of character, he did it so well a few yearsThis is an absolutely brilliant film which grabs your attention within the first 5 minutes and does not let go of you until the closing credits, no mean feat considering the subject matter. Jesse Eisenberg is perfect in the role of the very bright yet (very) gauche and socially inept young Mark Zuckenberg. He knows just how to play this kind of character, he did it so well a few years back in "The squid and the whale" . In my opinion this film is, in many ways, the perfect film: great cast, great dialogue, plenty of character development and above all exciting. Expand
  77. Dec 19, 2010
    It's a perfect movie. The characters have been developed fully to a point where all are human, no good and evil, only gray areas. The screenplay is just so incredible and fun, and the way the movie is done fits perfectly with the way the speak, everything fast and smart not a moment wasted.
  78. Jan 12, 2011
    One of the most entertaining true stories ever put in theaters. It's Intelligent funny, and with some surprisingly powerful moments. Jesse Eisenberg is sure to receive an Oscar nomination. David Fincher ads another classic to his already impressive repertoire.
  79. Mar 13, 2011
    The worst movie by David Fincher. Because Facebook is so popular right now this movie comes to make sensation. In fact is a mediocre film who want to be popular.
  80. Oct 2, 2010
    "The Social Network" flawlessly captures the essence of what a film should be. A smart screenplay, brilliant direction, and absolutely stunning performances from the cast come together to form the best film in a long time. I seriously cannot get over how amazing the cast is. It's like nothing you've ever seen before. A tragedy of the highest order. Go see this movie. Now.
  81. May 4, 2011
    I didnt really like this movie, but Im not going to make some half-assed assumption about the inteligence of the professional reviewer. This movie jumps off into random tangents and cannot keep focus. The characters are unlikable but since its based off a somewhat true story, that is quite understandbale, its business, the whole point of it was for us not to like them but relate with theirI didnt really like this movie, but Im not going to make some half-assed assumption about the inteligence of the professional reviewer. This movie jumps off into random tangents and cannot keep focus. The characters are unlikable but since its based off a somewhat true story, that is quite understandbale, its business, the whole point of it was for us not to like them but relate with their greed. Sometimes a movie cannot be TOO cryptic. After all these are the very same people that gave avatar: the last airbender movie a good thrashing, so they can see a bad movie when it smacks them across the face. Expand
  82. Oct 2, 2010
    Extraordinary. Charging forward with a relentless pace, this film is one of few that can be witty, evocative, thrilling, and unpredictable all at once. Fincher unveils his masterpiece: a film to immortalize the dynamism of the coming 21st century. The dialogue is too perfect, without being too pretentious. For once the protagonist is reprehensible and not unrealistically detached. TheExtraordinary. Charging forward with a relentless pace, this film is one of few that can be witty, evocative, thrilling, and unpredictable all at once. Fincher unveils his masterpiece: a film to immortalize the dynamism of the coming 21st century. The dialogue is too perfect, without being too pretentious. For once the protagonist is reprehensible and not unrealistically detached. The choice opening and ending tie up the piece flawlessly, remarking on the small things that motivate us to do do the big things. This is an exhilarating exploration of ambition and its consequences. Expand
  83. Oct 5, 2010
    The movie basically consists of nothing but scene after scene of people sitting in a room talking-- and it is absolutely fascinating. My only complaint is that I wish it had gone on for another hour.
  84. Oct 11, 2010
    It captures the essence of our time flawlessly. The part that was strongest for me was that even for Zuckerburg, who is somewhat of an enigma, the movie shows that he like everyone else is human and that the most popular website today was founded off the simplest human emotions.
  85. Feb 19, 2011
    The film does a wonderful job of showing us the real "Mark Zukerberg" while Jesse Eisenberg is fantastic in that role. As previous reviewers have mentioned, this is a film about human interaction, as opposed to a film about Facebook. You don't have to be familiar with Facebook to enjoy this incredible film.
  86. Oct 7, 2010
    Hooray! A smart and fast paced film, and the best cast film I've ever seen! Sorkins words are clever and spellbinding and written for people with a few IQ points in their heads.
  87. Oct 1, 2010
    On the cab ride home, Linda uttered heresy by wondering aloud whether Facebook would still be king of the hill, or even around at all, in, say, ten years. Or, she got me to thinking, would it just twitter away in time, leaving nothing but, mm, lipstick traces, the wispy remains of once-mighty passing trends like CompuServe, MySpace, Blockbuster, or Barnes & Noble? All we know is this oneOn the cab ride home, Linda uttered heresy by wondering aloud whether Facebook would still be king of the hill, or even around at all, in, say, ten years. Or, she got me to thinking, would it just twitter away in time, leaving nothing but, mm, lipstick traces, the wispy remains of once-mighty passing trends like CompuServe, MySpace, Blockbuster, or Barnes & Noble? All we know is this one is a hi-def snapshot of right now. Don't worry. This is greatness. Expand
  88. Dec 27, 2010
    This movie on paper should be a pessimistic disaster but somehow is handled perfectly. It had the light writing/director touch that made a movie like American Beauty work so well. See it.
  89. BEX
    Oct 6, 2010
    Had The Social Network been about something more relevant, say, the anomie engendered by the digital era, it might have warranted its brow-raising critical acclaim. But instead the film tells the rather less interesting but more sensational story of elitist, entitled children squabbling over power and money.

That this unredeeming tale of supersized greed is compelling is a testament to

That this unredeeming tale of supersized greed is compelling is a testament to Sorkin's barrage of clever dialogue, so fast-paced that one scarcely has time to reflect on the fact that one is watching a paean to latter-day robber barons.

The film's self-conscious the-geek-shall-inherit-the-earth message is as close as it ever gets to a penetrating social observation, but there's plenty of soap opera serving as a stand-in. Gorgeous groupies and rock-star recklessness are thrown in to distract the viewer, and unfortunately the filmmakers as well, from the fact that there is no there there. The cultural landscape has been forever changed by the economic meltdown of 2008. The very idea that one could make a movie about the most successful entrepreneurs of our time, and not even acknowledge this change is curious, and raises the suspicion that both Sorkin and Fincher are personally invested in the "classless society" myth. That disconnect is the fatal crack in the shiny veneer of this work, and suggests to me for the first time, that Sorkin may have passed his sell-by date.
  90. Oct 20, 2010
    Let me just start by saying that just about everything about this movie is mind-blowing and incredible. With a strong soundtrack by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, the music goes perfectly with the concept of the picture. The screenplay and dialogue are excellent, and Mark & Eduardo both are played by good actors. Based on this movie, you could say that Mark Zuckerberg is aLet me just start by saying that just about everything about this movie is mind-blowing and incredible. With a strong soundtrack by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, the music goes perfectly with the concept of the picture. The screenplay and dialogue are excellent, and Mark & Eduardo both are played by good actors. Based on this movie, you could say that Mark Zuckerberg is a punk-genius-traitor-prophet-billionaire. Expand
  91. Nov 13, 2010
    "The Social Network" introduces the audience to the main character -- and the speed and originality of the dialog reflecting the speed and originality of the changes portrayed -- in the opening exchange and never looks back...while constantly looking back. Just go along for the high-speed ride and a fascinating portrayal of today's brilliant young entrepreneurs and a slice of today's"The Social Network" introduces the audience to the main character -- and the speed and originality of the dialog reflecting the speed and originality of the changes portrayed -- in the opening exchange and never looks back...while constantly looking back. Just go along for the high-speed ride and a fascinating portrayal of today's brilliant young entrepreneurs and a slice of today's business world. The casting is excellent, the dialog is highly entertaining, and the story feels as real as it maybe is. Expand
  92. Oct 22, 2010
    The Social Network completely deserves its excellent Metascore. Everything about this movie was just done so well, it still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. The acting was top-notch, the direction was superb, and the interweaving of scenes from the hearings with the often-gritty founding of Facebook serves the movie very well.

I honestly can't think of anything that could

I honestly can't think of anything that could have been done better. I was a bit iffy when I saw that Justin Timberlake had a somewhat important role in the movie, but I'm pleased to say that he pulled off his part remarkably well, and his character adds a fun though naughty edge and hilarity to the movie.
  93. Nov 10, 2010
    Okay so "The Social Network" was a good movie, I don't think there is any arguing over that based on the fact that it was well directed and acted (although Justin Timberlake was kinda sucky). However, my main problem with "The Social Network" is how much of the story really happened and how much is a hollywood embellishment. Why would I want to watch an fake story about how facebook was started?
  94. Nov 14, 2010
    David FIncher is back to being Fincherian after his sappy Benjamin Button (thanks to a Sorkin script, too!). Any film which opens with The White Stripes am be good.
  95. Nov 15, 2010
    It is a place that we lovingly look over, from within the glass-walled offices or the comforts of home or amid the hustle-bustle of an eatery, or in a vehicle on the move. It straddles bits of a social life within â
  96. Nov 17, 2010
    Great Movie... sorkin's style is genius, and i feel that anyone who didn't like the dialogue just had a hard time keeping up or didn't get the jokes.
  97. Nov 22, 2010
    The film's premise as a movie about the world's most popular social networking site can quickly leave many people astray. But it just comes to show that writing about a website, something that hasn't really been done before, can actually become one of the most dramatic, funniest, and intelligent stories ever told. David Fincher takes the rising star Jesse Eisenberg, and the platinumThe film's premise as a movie about the world's most popular social networking site can quickly leave many people astray. But it just comes to show that writing about a website, something that hasn't really been done before, can actually become one of the most dramatic, funniest, and intelligent stories ever told. David Fincher takes the rising star Jesse Eisenberg, and the platinum selling artist Justin Timberlake, a team of not well known actors, and an intelligent script. What does this equal? Ultimate Perfection. The script is what drives this film into the best movie of the year, with the cast as a bonus. David Fincher keeps all the drama extremely factual. It takes you on a journey from Facebook's roots, to what it's become today. Mark Zuckerberg is shown as the #1 betraying asset in this film. By the end, it's not clear whether you should feel sorry for Zuckerberg, or forget him and just admire his interactive creation which 500 million people use on a regular basis. Expand
  98. Nov 26, 2010
    The Social Network is a good movie because it retells how FACEBOOK came to existence and it is artistically done. In the movie, we can really see true emotions of the character. Well, everyone needs to watch this because no one can retell how the movie flows.
  99. Nov 30, 2010
    Excellent film. The magnificent dialogue carries the movie, as Fincher takes a new "less is more approach" to his directing style. One of the best of the year.
  100. Jan 13, 2011
    This is a movie with amazing acting and an amazing script. I'll admit that it's not all that exciting, but the fast paced script and I'd say Oscar potential acting by Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield it'll keep you entertained. It is a tad overhyped, but it is still great

With a thieves den of borderline-Shakespearian characters, a wickedly literate screenplay, potent direction by David Fincher, an exceptional ensemble cast and subject matter that speaks to a generation and well beyond, The Social Network is mesmerizing.
  2. The result is a ripped-from-the-Zeitgeist film that is razor-sharp, an astute and funny portrait of the early 2000s, with all its LOL's, its IMO's and its WTF's. Mostly its WTF's.
    Eisenberg, one of those young actors who has existed just below the radar for several years now (he was the lead in both "Zombieland" and "Adventureland," not to be confused with one another), deserves an Oscar for this dead-on portrayal of a temperamental genius.