8.2

1. Oct 4, 2010
    Talk, talk, talk, snarky comment repeat. Socially inept rich kids whining about wanting more money and recognition. Unlikeable characters and absolutely no drama. I spent two hours waiting for the movie to begin and it never did. Simply an awful movie going exprerience.
  2. Oct 1, 2010
    "The Social Network" was so good I don't even know where to begin. I can't, for the life of me, think of another film in recent years that's left me so wholeheartedly satisfied by the time the credits started rolling. This is some amazing, amazing stuff we've got here folks: don't miss it for the world.
  3. Oct 1, 2010
    Just saw this offering in a nearly empty theater in Naples, FL - another sign of the age of the population here. Anyway, the dialog is great - especially the opening scene - BUT unfortunately... it...continues - and the reason the dialog isn't great after a while is that it GRATES. By the end of the show I was convinced that the hero is nothing better than a high-achieving pain-in-the-Asperger and the great cinematography, directing, acting, realism, etc. was a waste of skills. It's a movie done in by its protagonist. Expand
  4. Oct 20, 2010
    Technically well-made but shallow and unsatisfying. Fincher's flashback storytelling didn't make me feel like I was getting different perspectives and narrative layers. Rather, I felt like I was watching an intervention where everyone else could freely speak except the very person at the centre of the screen. Instead of a balanced, well-rounded portrayal of the facts, the filmmakers dramatised the whiny testimonies of scorned 'victims' to depict a character so contorted and contrived he didn't look like a real human being. Someone as aware of his brilliance as the on-screen Mark Zuckerberg wouldn't feel insecure enough to crave acceptance into a final club. His natural genius would set him apart enough and he wouldn't waste time garnering adulation from less intelligent people to affirm that. The movie depicts the cinematic Mark Zuckerberg being so engrossed in creating revolutionary projects that he pays very little attention to social conventions and appearance. Yet the same acutely logical person wastes a chunk of the movie being envious that his friend Eduardo is more 'popular'. To create a Shakespearean-like tragedy, Aaron Sorkin afflicted the protagonist with various 'fatal flaws' to amplify conflict. Facts were twisted to fit into the salacious story the filmmakers wanted to tell. Real people were twisted to fit into the salacious characters the filmmakers wanted to show. The movie was nowhere as clever as it thought it was and by the end of the first scene you knew exactly what it was trying to say ('social misfit invents new way to socialise'). It's as if the filmmakers started the film with that message and then worked backwards, fitting real life people and events around that theme rather than use the truth. At its worst, TSN was slanderous non-fiction masquerading as entertainment. At its best, it was entertaining fiction masquerading as fact....Either way for me it didn't live up to its hype. Expand
  5. Oct 1, 2010
    Great direction and cinematography, with a great screenplay, this film is definitely going to be in the Oscar race. All of the actors are great and despite the somewhat exaggerated party scenes, this movie feels very realistic. Just because it's a movie about Facebook, doesn't mean its corny or aimed only at young people. You should see this film no matter how old you are, even if you don't use Facebook. Overall a 10/10 and the second best movie of the year after Inception. Expand
  6. Oct 1, 2010
    The best film of 2010 so far. Sorkin's dialogue is terrific and pretty hilarious, and Fincher directs with such clarity so that we are never confused as to what's going on even as the film jumps in and out of flashbacks, often for comic effect. The ending is surprisingly emotional, and it's easy the Shakespearean style tragedy installed in Eisenberg's Zuckerberg. Eisenberg and Timberlake both deserve Oscar nominations, and it's almost assured that you will hear this film's name multiple times when the award nominations come rolling around in early 2011. Go see this film whether you have a Facebook or not; it's that exciting and terrific. Expand
  7. Jan 29, 2011
    The reviews seem as inflated as Harvard's grade scale itself. I watched the movie and found nothing enlightening or groundbreaking about it. Though, I can see how adults and older reviews may have found it "amazing" due to the novelty of the subject (facebook).
  8. Sep 28, 2011
    Although the movie starts as where you would expect and end as you would expect, David Fincher's "The Social Network" is heart warm and powerful, a perfect combination of Aaron Sorkin's witty script and David Fincher's smart direction. And yes, it is one of Oscar winning movies of the year.
  9. Oct 2, 2010
    I'm not sure whether it was too much hype, or that massive 97 on Metacritic, but this movie simply didn't live up to my expectations. It was NEARLY as good as Pulp Fiction, or The Hurt Locker, or Shawshank, or other seminal movies that defined the last decade or so. It was a really good story, and it brought me in, but it lacked a little something. At the end of the film, I just wanted "more." Rooney Mara is awesome, and I look forward to seeing her in Dragon Tattoo, and the "twins" are hilarious. Timberlake was hyped too much - he was just serviceable. See it, but moderate your expectations, people. Expand
  10. Oct 1, 2010
    The Social Network is not simply a movie, but an experience of eclectic elements of great movie-making. Director Dave Fincher and writer Aaron Sorkin's depiction of the roots of social networking site Facebook is an engrossing film that not only defines the current technology-based generation, but sets film standards of brilliant writing and film structure.

Fincher and Sorkin's film tells
    the fascinating story of Mark Zuckenburg and how he made a small idea into the billion dollar corporation Facebook. The story is shown through flashbacks and flash-forwards, simultaneously addressing the lawsuits made towards Zuckenburg, and the dark and gritty story of the formation of Facebook. While the accusations of Zuckenburg's thievery of intellectual property are in tact, many of the film's details are debatable.

The incertitude of Zuckerburg's story is what makes this film works. Portrayed by Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Zuckerburg's ambiguous character is the film's focus and what makes it so appealing. Is Zuckburg driven by the rejection of his girlfriend (Rooney Mara), or is it superficially the thought of money? The character's innocent and snooty manner is a mystery that establishes this film. Eisenberg gives the performance of his life as he puts so much depth in the character and raises so many questions.

Supporting Eisenberg is Andrew Garfield, who I once again have to give praise. After seeing a powerful performance from Garfield in Never Let Me Go, his role as Zuckerburg's co-founder really shows his ability to take on diverse roles. Garfield gives an accurate portrayal of a deceived friend, and the subtlety that he puts into his performance is mesmerizing.

What gives the characters this type of depth is Aaron Sorkin's Oscar-worthy screenplay. I cannot recall a film with this much witty and movie-driving dialogue. I can not emphasize the film's screenplay brilliance, it really gives the film reality, depth, and entertainment value. Resulting from the script, the plot is fast-paced and addicting; It keeps the audience curious and occupied for the whole movie. But while the plot and script are almost perfect, there is an absence of a big moment. The movie is no doubt intense, but there are no moments that standout from the overall film; There is no buildup of emotions in a single scene, something I believe a perfect film should have.

The Social Network is a movie that many will look back as a defining 21st century work of art. Overall, Fincher's film is modern, provocative, and technically flawless. The Oscar race has started, and the writing in The Social Network will be hard to beat.
  11. Dec 12, 2010
    Put down the kool-aid!

I'm as much a fan of Sorkin's writing as anybody, and the dialogue rolls well, but you can't build a story on the backs of whiny, impotent losers who don't even struggle in their journey to build a "business" as simple as Facebook.

Performances were fine, and it looked great, but the story seems ridiculously overdrawn. To suggest that the creation of Facebook was
    built upon these moments of "genius" is outrageous. Could anyone seriously argue that the site is not a rip-off of Myspace and Friendster? Of course Z improved on the model, but it was hardly an original idea.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a bunch of characters as dull as this group, and if I felt anything at all for any of them, it was slight disgust. The representation of business dealings was as inept as we can expect from the Hollywood-detached, but couldn't Columbia Pictures afford a consultant?

Reznor, on the other hand, is the only genius involved in this whole mess: his uninspired, inane beats are the perfect accompaniment to watching paint dry.
  12. Feb 27, 2011
    This movie is a total rubbish, very boring. Honestly, all those reviews must be some scam. It's just as somebody mentioned here: rich kids blablabla on how much more money they want. Bad acting, plot was not interesting at all. Don't waste the money for this.
  13. May 16, 2011
    This movie was amazing. It's incredibly well acted and written. It gets branded as the socially awkward nerd movie (and being one probably helps) but it's really about all of Gen Y. If you missed it when it was in theaters you need to see it.
  14. BKM
    Oct 7, 2010
    Fincher and Sorkin's take on the creation of Facebook and the man behind it is cold, lean and ruthless in it's depiction of how narcissism is a driving force for those who achieve the greatest success. The performances are all strong and the movie never gives in to any cheap story-telling ploys, but ultimately it is easier to admire than to love.
  15. Oct 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Am thinking as I write, it's been out THIS long? How can that be? At least it informs you out front what it's about, unlike some fish movie, purporting to be some kind of thriller or murder mystery music thing. This film is about a dinkhead, and how unfortunately, dinkheads make it. John Lennon was correct. Biggest B-heads around, make it. SAD. That's ultimately the trip, but sad in another way than expected from the other facebook film. Expand
  16. Oct 7, 2010
    This was a very entertaining film and I did not come out regretting I spent my money on the ticket. That being said I think this movie is incredibly overrated. I do not understand what people saw that make them say this is one of the best movies in recent history, I think that might have to do with how bad most of the current movies have been for a few years. I recommend you skip past the hype and go see it with reasonable expectations and in the end you will find yourself enjoying a "decent" film. Expand
  17. Jan 23, 2011
    Don't believe the hype. This movie is a dreadful bore with unlikeable characters. Really annoying and pointless movie. Its only rated so high because of the 500 Millions users on Facebook who decided to see it.
  18. Oct 1, 2010
    This movie is amazing! David Fincher selivers yet another masterpiece! The story of facebook is perfectly told by fabulous writing, great directing, and captivating performances!! See this movie now!!
  19. Oct 4, 2010
    This movie was interesting, but it wasn't even one tenth as good as "The Town" was. Sorry, but the 9.0 score is over done in my book (I thought it was an average).
  20. Nov 2, 2010
    The accuracy of this film to true events is a matter I have heard being discussed lately but also one I deliberately chose to ignore. I accepted this film for what it is: verisimilitude, somewhere in between fiction and non-fiction. What we are left with is a captivating story with substantial characters and engrossing on-screen interrelationships. A scene which really made in impact on me is the opening scene with Jesse Eisenberg's and Rooney Mara's characters. Jesse Eisenberg's dialog immediately shows him to be an intelligent but socially inept person perfectly introducing him as a questionable character. Questionable because throughout the movie I was asking myself: is he arrogant or ignorant? Is he really the anti-hero or is he easily led, unaware of the emotions of others? The sequence of events is sometimes non-linear, especially so in the beginning section but I found interpreting the different scenes involved me actively in the movie and was refreshing.
    This was a movie about a phenomena that has touched every one of us (even those who don't have Facebook know what it is!) and, even though some may debate about whether it really tells the tale, it was a brilliant movie, entertaining and inspiring.
  21. Nov 30, 2010
    Complete garbage. The film was as much true to the real events as I was to enjoying it. It is just a cheap cash in by the producers to make a dishonest buck from the "500,000" facebookers.
  22. Oct 2, 2010
    "The Social Network" flawlessly captures the essence of what a film should be. A smart screenplay, brilliant direction, and absolutely stunning performances from the cast come together to form the best film in a long time. I seriously cannot get over how amazing the cast is. It's like nothing you've ever seen before. A tragedy of the highest order. Go see this movie. Now.
  23. Oct 2, 2010
    Extraordinary. Charging forward with a relentless pace, this film is one of few that can be witty, evocative, thrilling, and unpredictable all at once. Fincher unveils his masterpiece: a film to immortalize the dynamism of the coming 21st century. The dialogue is too perfect, without being too pretentious. For once the protagonist is reprehensible and not unrealistically detached. The choice opening and ending tie up the piece flawlessly, remarking on the small things that motivate us to do do the big things. This is an exhilarating exploration of ambition and its consequences. Expand
  24. Oct 1, 2010
    Intelligent, great acting, and an interesting story about what really happened inside Facebook.
  25. Oct 1, 2010
    The best movie this year.
    I loved the tempo, the omnilogues, the brashness, the soundtrack, the story, the screenplay, the realism, and the well depicted volatility of our current social and capitalistic systems.
    I will probably see a showing again.
    Don't believe the hype - then go see it.
  26. Nov 16, 2010
    It is not often that I walk out of a movie that I paid to see, but this was one that I walked out on (along with my wife, who agreed wholeheartely with me). My only regret is that I didn't walk out sooner. I found this film so boring that I almost fell asleep. All this "clever" talk by a bunch of rich, spoiled kids, which just droned on and on. I found not a single interesting character in this film. Let me be clear that I am not a "social networker, "so perhaps that influenced my thoughts about this stinker. Maybe if you're infatuated with My Space or Twitter, or whatever, this film would have a different impact on you. Let me also say that I am a college graduate (and also have a professional degree), so it's not that I'm some low-life that can't appreciate artistic films. I really can't understand why this movie got such good reviews. Sometimes I agree with critics, but this was not one of those times.sI thought is was important to take a stand on this one, to dare to disagree with the critics and to call this dreadful movie's bluff!. Expand
  27. Jan 31, 2011
    Who in the world thought that making a video about a lame chat website which does nothing special should be shot, it has too much talk and almost not panache. It reminds me of those lame Barbie films, as it tries to make something out of something which has no relation to the cinema. Face book as a film, next there will be 'Brother Printers: the gripping tale of printing! in 3-D'
  28. Feb 6, 2011
    I really don't understand the ratings here. This dialogue was good, but the plot just dragged on with no real defining moments. Someone said they wished there was another hour; I felt like there already was.
  29. Feb 13, 2011
    There are two distinct voices behind this film: one is world weary, cynical, and blatantly cashing in (at last) - while the other is arguably cautious - straddling the line between satire, and melodrama - these are the voices of David Fincher, and Aaron Sorkin. Fincher: safely and firmly planted in the pantheon of great filmmakers; a provocateur, innovator (what have you) - with likely nothing to lose. Then thereâ Expand
  30. Aug 9, 2011
    Wow! What a film. My favourite since Avatar. Eissenberg is great, and Andrew Garfield is also great as Eduardo. I would recommend it to anyone. A must see!
  31. Mar 8, 2011
    Worst casting ever! The movie is well done. The plot is extremely poor. The actors are plain. Is a cheap movie that got lucky with some advertising and some bought nominations.
  32. Feb 6, 2012
    The Social Network brings unforgettable performances, along with its fantastic screenplay, a great entertaining story make for a complete masterpiece. And the one behind it all is David Fincher well done. I give this movie 97%.
  33. Feb 7, 2012
    Top 10 Movies of all time. The movie of how facebook was created. Its a classic. Loved the plot. i loved every thing on here this a very classical movie a one u wont regret
  34. Oct 5, 2010
    The movie basically consists of nothing but scene after scene of people sitting in a room talking-- and it is absolutely fascinating. My only complaint is that I wish it had gone on for another hour.
  35. Oct 4, 2010
    It's clearly a good movie, but one of the all-time greats? Not even close. It's probably my favorite Fincher movie, but that doesn't say much because I didn't like Fight Club or Benjamin Button all that much. And Sorkin did better work on West Wing and a Few Good Men. The story is interesting, but nowhere near techie stories like Sneakers. The Winklevoss brothers are hilarious, Rooney Mara is a revelation, and Mark's best friend (the future "Spider-Man") is terrific. But it didn't come together to make a movie that I felt was amazing when it was over. I remember walking out The Hurt Locker, or Pulp Fiction, or even The Animal Kingdom this year - I had a massive smile on my face and a very "complete" feeling in my heart. This one was simply interesting. The final line delivered by Miss Jones (the a**hole line) didn't seem to have much impact with me. It was all very clever, but not extraordinarily significant in the scheme of things. Expand
  36. Nov 19, 2010
    A fantastic movie. Brilliantly written with a good mixture of drama and comedy that never gets boring. Jesse Eisenberg does a great job in the role of Mark Zuckerberg. A definite must see.
  37. May 4, 2011
    I didnt really like this movie, but Im not going to make some half-assed assumption about the inteligence of the professional reviewer. This movie jumps off into random tangents and cannot keep focus. The characters are unlikable but since its based off a somewhat true story, that is quite understandbale, its business, the whole point of it was for us not to like them but relate with their greed. Sometimes a movie cannot be TOO cryptic. After all these are the very same people that gave avatar: the last airbender movie a good thrashing, so they can see a bad movie when it smacks them across the face. Expand
  38. Oct 11, 2010
    It captures the essence of our time flawlessly. The part that was strongest for me was that even for Zuckerburg, who is somewhat of an enigma, the movie shows that he like everyone else is human and that the most popular website today was founded off the simplest human emotions.
  39. Oct 3, 2010
    The most dramatic movie of all time! The Social Network tells the story about a young college student from Harvard named,Mark Zuckerberg who wanted to create a website for socialize people around the world called Facebook. This is the perfect film for having some great lines and great dialog,and it has a cool dark setting like a Fincher's groundbreaking scenes,like Se7en,Fight Club,and my personally favorite film of all time,The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Jesse Eisenberg did marvelous job as the character who created Facebook,he's mysterious,fast talking,and smart at the same time. Andrew Garfield did really good in the role,he's charming and he's smooth personality like the other actors. Justin Timberlake did a marvelously supportive job as Sean Parker and that's saying alot for the pop singer. The cast did good roles for the story and it has talking lines between the story and how they focus really clever about they explain how the people who created Facebook and we need show how Facebook became so popular for the website. This is the winner of the best filmaking film about how actors did marvelously job and how they had beautifully chemistry for this movie. It's a nice movie and for all the users in Facebook must love this movie and we wanted to thank the creators who invented the Facebook to socialize and have friends in the same time. Enjoy! Expand
  40. Oct 9, 2010
    A very good movie. Very interesting to see. Puts the way I perceive Facebook in a different light.
  41. Oct 12, 2010
    This movie has got to be one of the smartest, most clever movies that I have seen all year. I was actually really surprised about how well done The Social Network really was. A good 2 hours long, it didn't feel like it was endless, but it left me wanting more. The acting was generally good, but the movie's strength comes from its incredible screenplay and it's brilliant direction. From Alien 3 and Fight club to Zodiac and Benjamin Button, David Fincher has come a long way, and all of that hard work has paid off with a near-flawless film. The shots in The Social Network are just beautiful, and the cleverly ingenious writer should be commended. I can definitely say that this year's Oscar's ceremony will be a no-brainer! Expand
  42. Oct 1, 2010
    The writing in the movies is absolutely f***ing ridiculous. I remember sending my friend a message right after I saw it that if it didn't win the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay I'd never watch the Oscars again, I'm sticking with that :smileyvery-happy:

Seriously every bit of dialogue just flows so incredible back and forth, it has a rhythm to it not that uncommon of the best classic
    film noirs, this is Sorkin taken to the next level, there's not a second dumbed down and the man will pack exchanges with as much humor as venom that helps sketch an early idea of who Zuckerberg will become. I never even realized also until the second time seeing it how perfectly Sorkin bookended the narrative. The film's writing is just, :smileyvery-happy: ..it's ridiculous. The man is able to make scenes in what for the most part is a drama more funny and amusing than most comedies this year while being able to flip a switch and creating tension and action on screen through exchanges that most thrillers this year couldn't even dream to approach. I just can't stress enough how much I love the screenplay for this film. Expand
  43. Oct 4, 2010
    Everything about this film is phenomenal. The writing, the acting, the cinematography, and literally anything else you can think of. I actually cannot think of anything I didn't love about this movie. This is the most satisfied I've ever been after seeing a movie in theaters, and I highly recommend it to anyone.
  44. Oct 7, 2010
    Hooray! A smart and fast paced film, and the best cast film I've ever seen! Sorkins words are clever and spellbinding and written for people with a few IQ points in their heads.
  45. Oct 2, 2010
    "The Social Network" deserves every bit of praise that it is receiving! Everything about this movie of absolutely solid - the first great movie of the year. A story about Facebook shouldn't keep anyone from seeing this film. If you hate Facebook replace it with "Company X" or something. The point is...I am not going to see this movie again just because I have an account.
  46. Oct 7, 2010
    Aside from some fancy crane shots, the story is like a really good extended episode of The West WIng. As metacritic goes aren't 100s meant for stories that are more significant than the origins of Facebook?
  47. Oct 1, 2010
    On the cab ride home, Linda uttered heresy by wondering aloud whether Facebook would still be king of the hill, or even around at all, in, say, ten years. Or, she got me to thinking, would it just twitter away in time, leaving nothing but, mm, lipstick traces, the wispy remains of once-mighty passing trends like CompuServe, MySpace, Blockbuster, or Barnes & Noble? All we know is this one is a hi-def snapshot of right now. Don't worry. This is greatness. Expand
  48. LCW
    Oct 2, 2010
    Finally a movie that lived up to the hype. The whole deal - story, script, acting, directing (especially the intensity of the pace) and music were amazing. Do yourself a favor and don't miss this one.

LCW
  49. Oct 7, 2010
    I sense a bit of a Dark Knight effect happening here... The Social Network was a solid, entertaining movie with some great acting and scripting. It is probably one of the best films this year, but that speaks more about the quality of 2010 cinema than this particular film. Hence the 7/10, not the prefect scores going around this circle-jerk. I liked Sorkin's dialogue, and the opening sequence could not have been penned by anyone else, but I felt it was a bit forced (made it a bit harder to emotionally connect with the characters). Honestly, Fincher did not impress me on this film; cinematography was above average and the movie was very clean, but it didn't have that ability to move me that many better-directed films have. I can't put my finger on what was missing, but I know it wasn't quite right. I know a lot of people loved the rowing scene in England, but I honestly found it forced, too removed from the style of the rest of the film, and completely superfluous. It was masterfully and professionally shot and edited, but I feel the choice to do it at all was amateurish (analogous to the pod race scene in Episode 1). I was also irked by the subplots that faded off and just disappeared (like all of Saverin's personal life issues and Zuckerberg's disappearing Asian girlfriend). I also was a bit disappointed that Fincher/Sorkin decided to go with the "it was all for the one who got away" theme/ending, it is clearly added just for dramatic/emotional weight, but it does not deliver on it's intended purpose, it just adds cheese to the film. Other than those specific grievances, this was a great film. I know I focused more on the negative than the positive, but I think every other critic (professional and not) did enough of that for me. The Social Network is a strong, entertaining, emotive, and intellectually stimulating film. It will be remembered. That in mind, I do not see it as the defining film of my generation nor even my generation's Citizen Kane (which I get the feeling is what the filmmakers were attempting to create with this piece). Expand
  50. Oct 10, 2010
    I didn't really like it. I didn't catch a lot of it. I would have to watch it again. It seemed to business like. But like I said. I would have to watch it again to see if I really liked it 5/10
  51. Oct 16, 2010
    Amazingly satisfying film in every aspect. Acting, writing, directing, and production. The first scene will go down as a classic scene. Lots of very satisfying scenes. A fascinating main character.
  52. Oct 18, 2010
    This is an absolutely brilliant film which grabs your attention within the first 5 minutes and does not let go of you until the closing credits, no mean feat considering the subject matter. Jesse Eisenberg is perfect in the role of the very bright yet (very) gauche and socially inept young Mark Zuckenberg. He knows just how to play this kind of character, he did it so well a few years back in "The squid and the whale" . In my opinion this film is, in many ways, the perfect film: great cast, great dialogue, plenty of character development and above all exciting. Expand
  53. Dec 19, 2010
    It's a perfect movie. The characters have been developed fully to a point where all are human, no good and evil, only gray areas. The screenplay is just so incredible and fun, and the way the movie is done fits perfectly with the way the speak, everything fast and smart not a moment wasted.
  54. Jan 12, 2011
    One of the most entertaining true stories ever put in theaters. It's Intelligent funny, and with some surprisingly powerful moments. Jesse Eisenberg is sure to receive an Oscar nomination. David Fincher ads another classic to his already impressive repertoire.
  55. Mar 13, 2011
    The worst movie by David Fincher. Because Facebook is so popular right now this movie comes to make sensation. In fact is a mediocre film who want to be popular.
  56. Jan 29, 2011
    Defriend this! A great trailer is answered by an obviously failed story. Ditch the lame, depo-faux conflict and tell a story about compelling people and a transformative technology over the past decade, and I'm you're friend. The deposition scenes KILL this film. Like Jean-Luc Goddard, I wanna machine gun these leaches! (And so do my friends.) Fortunately, the performances are compelling. And there's nothing wrong with Harvard that enrolling massive numbers of HOT blondes cannot improve. I understand Iceland is for sale~and according to my many Facebook friends, the Icelanders are the hottest of the Nordic race! OR, as a Soup Nazi would say, "NO Oscar for YOU!" Expand
  57. Mar 30, 2011
    When I first saw the preview for this movie and saw that it was by David Fincher. I almost died. It looked absolutely amazing. David Fincher is one of the best directors of all time. Then I saw the movie. it was the biggest piece of trash I've ever seen. My first and biggest gripe was Jesse Eisenberg. He is a absolutely horrible actor. He sucks, plain and simple. He tries so hard to be like Michael Cera, that he ends up failing. His role wasn't the best either. The character of Mark Zuckerberg is to put simply, a douche bag. I'm sorry I don't want to sit there for two hours and watch some guy think his **** don't stink. I was happy that Rooney Mara's role was very short because she is one of the most annoying actress's out there. The film in itself was just generic. I felt David Fincher was selling out so he can appeal to a younger audience. Everything else was just mediocre and overlooked. The only good thing was the script. It was fresh and crisp and the dialogue was witty and tight, but it wasn't enough to save this film from becoming, just like Zuckerberg, a douche bag itself. Expand
  58. Oct 10, 2010
    "The Social Network" is a dexterous production, surrounding the past decade impeccably and methodically. Mr. Zuckerberg has created a new world, and in the process of creating this world -- punitive complications circulate the "God of the internet" in a myriad of forms.
  59. Feb 27, 2011
    "The Social Network" is the most surprising good film of the year for me - who would have thought that the story about the guy who created Facebook would be so interesting and captivating? Wow. Simply great film! The directing is very smooth and Fincher just does excellent work (once again) and proves to be one of the most talented directors currently. Obviously, working with such a young cast must have been challenging, and they all did a splendid job, especially Eisenberg, whose fan I never was until now (well, I'm still not a 'fan fan'). The rather captivating and interesting story was well crafted by Aaron Sorkin and excellently edited, in film editing that has not been so good in years, really. All around, The Social Network is definitely an excellent film and provides us insights into the importance of friendship, morals and the drive to succeed and what all can come out of it - excellence in reality as well as on screen. Expand
  60. Oct 7, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's not the eighties anymore, that's resoundingly clear, because if it was, Mark Zuckerberg(Jesse Eisenberg) would have to turn off his computer and row crew just like the Winklevoss twins, then somehow beat them; he and Eduardo Saverin(Andrew Garfield), his best friend, along with a bunch of other social misfits at the Henley Royal Regatta. This was the old template for the nerd redemption storyline; this was the dark ages, way back before computers were cool, so in order for the nerds to change their fortunes, they'd have to win some sort of competition against their adversaries. In Jeff Canew's "Revenge of the Nerds", starring Robert Carradine and Anthony Edwards(as Lewis Skolnick and Gilbert Lowe, respectively), the charter members of Lambda Lambda Lambda took first place at the Adams College Greek Games by defeating the other campus fraternities, most importantly, their arch-nemesis, the Alpha-Betas, and needless to say, writing code while intermittently taking shots is not one of the compulsory events. When Lewis and Gilbert first arrive at the prestigious(but fictional) school, they hang a poster of a computer on their dorm wall that reads, "The sky's the limit," words that are so unerring in its propheticness, they practically build a bridge to what could be considered its sister film, a pretty sister named "The Social Network", a film that documents the moment when "the meek," indeed does "inherit the earth". Case and point: the Crimson Red is facing the Dutch, not rowers captained by Mark, because now it's the jocks, in a cruel twist of faith, who have to play by the nerds' terms. The athletically ungifted never have to "man up" again. Nerds have come a long way since Ivan Reitman's "Meatballs", the Canadian indie with the original Rudy(played by Chris Makepeace), who runs a four-mile cross-country race that helps North Star defeat Mohawk in the camp's version of the Olympiad. Nerds can be ogres, too. When Mark steals the idea for Facebook from the Winklevoss twins, his kind loses the distinction of being underdogs. Nobody ever roots for the privileged white kids born with silver spoons in their mouths, but that's the subversive truth about "The Social Network"; the moviegoer roots for old money, the Harvard tradition, and WASPS. Whereas the moviegoer feels pity for Lewis and Gilbert as the Alpha Betas chant, "Nerds...nerds...nerds...," while the two computer enthusiasts file past the house for "jocks," and ironically enough, "...facemen," Mark Zuckerberg's comeuppance is anticipated with glee, once Cameron(Armie Hammer) decides to "gut the freakin' nerd," after they lose the regatta and learn that their intellectual property has gone on-line in England. "The Social Network" changes the underlying intimation of the moniker "nerd" when Erica(Rooney Mara) calls Mark an "a**hole," in which the nerd is no longer exclusive to the receiving end of the victimization cycle, since the nerd, now empowered by their consummate fluency in the cyberspace language, can buttress the giving end, as well. Mark Zuckerberg is not your father's, or grandfather's nerd. The youngest billionaire is nothing like Lewis, who can't believe his luck in landing a cheerleader(Betty Childs, as played by Julia Montgomrey), since the Facebook co-founder treats Erica horribly for attending an inferior school. He's no dogcatcher: ugly women and BU undergrads(the Terriers), need not apply. Lewis always has Gilbert's back, especially when his best friend gives a speech, albeit hamfisted, about "nerd persecution" in front of the student body. Earlier in "Revenge of the Nerds", Lewis and Gilbert watch in silence through an open window at the emblazoned letters that spell out "nerds" on their lawn, after the fraternity toasts Lambda Lambda Lambda's successful completion of its provisionary period. Conversely, Mark has a knife at Eduardo's back, but he doesn't know it yet, while a silk scarf that the CFO bought for his girlfriend, burns in a trashcan, in effigy, just like the KKK-style threat made by the Alpha Betas in the Kanew film. It reduces Eduardo to nerd status, a nerd with all the old associations connected to the appellation. A loser. Expand
  61. Feb 19, 2011
    The film does a wonderful job of showing us the real "Mark Zukerberg" while Jesse Eisenberg is fantastic in that role. As previous reviewers have mentioned, this is a film about human interaction, as opposed to a film about Facebook. You don't have to be familiar with Facebook to enjoy this incredible film.
  62. Oct 5, 2010
    I give the movie a 7.5 to 8. Seeing all the '10's ' these reviews are from a younger audience than me. It seems from reading the reviews that this is " The Graduate" for the current times. It is not. It is relevant to the times but Face Book will probably be a memory in a decade. The themes are familiar. The movie was a lot better than I expected. It is well written and paced well. The characters particularly the lead are well cast and acted. There is no deep message here just a fun movie going event. grab some popcorn and enjoy. Expand
  63. Oct 4, 2010
    Aaron Sorkin is the king of writing. David Fincher properly sets the tone from "The Accidental Billionaires". Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield do a wonderful job conveying their emotions. The scene when Facebook is approaching 1 million users is absolutely heart breaking.
  64. Oct 6, 2010
    If only all movies were written this well. Everyone walking in knows that its a story of Facebook's success. Most people walking in know that the main character is not such a nice guy. So I was curious to see if the movie could really be that engaging. And it is. Funny, sad, uncomfortable and entertaining.....with intense dialogue that keeps you focused and thinking and laughing and groaning. And most of the acting is really good as well. To quote the wise woman I was with, this movie is a bit like Wall Street of the current generation. Greed and dysfunctionality dancing together. Creative craziness is the new normal. See it. Expand
  65. Oct 3, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, I know I'm simply parroting ever other critic, but in a lot of ways this film really was one to define a generation. Like most people, my gut reaction when seeing the trailer for the first time was, "Really? A Facebook movie?" But the more I thought about it, the more I put the pieces together, the more the movie began to make sense. David Fincher, Aaron Sorkin, and Jessie Eisenberg- all the elements where there to make a great film, and say what you will, like it or not, Facebook has become a huge part of pop-culture, and slowly but surly engaging itself in our day -to-day culture.

First you had to have a verified college email, then they added the high-school section. The News Feed was introduced, then all of a sudden anyone and everyone could sign up for Facebook. Now I know a lot of adults and even grandparents that have a Facebook to keep up with family and friends who use it way more than even I would ever do. Facebook has forever changed the way we keep in contact with people and a movie like 'The Social Network' definitely has interest in today's market, and relevance in today's culture. Plus the fact that it was so expertly executed makes it that much more of a statement.

While I have always admired Arron Sorkin and enjoyed his work, I always found his writing to be a little overly dramatic/ bordering on melodramtic. 'Studio 60 on The Sunset Strip' is a perfect example of this: a great series who's only flaw was that it seemed to take itself just as seriously as 'The West Wing'. His screenplay for this film, however, showed a new level that that I have never seen before in his writing. With some of the best dialogue I've heard in years, and an excellent structure, 'The Social Network' was so engaging, yet written so smartly, that I completely believed every performance, every scene, from beginning to end.

There were two specific moments of writing that exemplified why the screenplay as a whole was so strong. First was the opening scene, which was one of the best written conversations have has seen on the screen in years. Not only was the dialogue engaging, but it also gave a very specific voice to Zuckerbergs's character that was essential to setting up the film as a whole. The other scene was when Edwardo's crazy girlfriend gets mad at him for not changing his relationship status on his Facebook page, to which he replies, "I didn't know how to." I just love how they were able to squeeze in a part about the stupid pointless drama that surrounds teenagers on Facebook. Definitely the biggest laugh of the film for me.

This film was so strong because it obviously had a voice, and that voice came from one man: David Fincher. A director revered by film school kids as being cool with a strong visual style, but never really getting the attention of critics or The Acadamy until recently, David Fincher seems to being moving beyond his flashy camera moves exemplified in 'Panic Room' into in a much more refined storytelling director that's bringing a maturity to his work that is astounding. Looking at his move from 'Fight Club' to 'Benjamin Button', we are seeing a new era in Fincher's career in which a lot of a really great work is still yet to come. There have only been a handful of directors over the years that have managed to make a career of garnering both critical and box-office acclaim such as **** or Steven Speilberg, and this is exactly the direction Fincher is moving if he keeps up this pace.

The film was very tastefully executed in that Fincher's camera was deliberately un-intrusive. The only visually flashy scene was in the rowing competition with his use of tilt-shift lenses, which honestly felt a little out of place in the entire context of the film, but undoubtably looked awesome on its own, which was fine for me.

But in the end, what really drove this film and connected with the audience was Jessie Eisenberg's brilliant yet subtle performance of Mark Zuckerberg. Eisenberg has been kind of a dark horse recently, with surprisingly brilliant performances coming from a wide variety of films just within the last couple years. Here is a actor with a unique charisma and style, yet within each film fully immerses himself into a completely different character that brings an honesty to each performance that is impossible to teach. This film definitely is a coming-out party for him on the major Hollywood stage, showing he has the potential to carry some really great films in the future. This is not the last we have seen of Jesse Eisenberg, in fact I believe this is only the beginning.

I mean, we could literally sit here all day analyzing the subtle nuances of the film; it just comes down to how much you want to read into it. For example, I could argue that Mark Zuckerberg was
  66. Oct 9, 2010
    This movie was completely enjoyable. It is a must see - my favorite of the year. All aspects of the film were well done: writing, dialogue, character development, acting, plot, production. I found myself envying and despising Mark at the end of the film - a testament to the skill of writers and director.
  67. Oct 1, 2010
    David Fincher's movies are either interesting or beautiful, and this one is no exception. The story is well written, and the ensemble is just amazing in their acting. Jesse Eisenberg really surprised me with his portrayal of Zuckerberg; remembering him from Zombieland, I didn't think he could pull it off. I was wrong because he could. Justin Timberlake has proven himself to be an all-around talented guy, an entertainer of the 21st century. The cinematography was stunning, the scenes are funny when they need to be, and it's just all around a movie that people must see before the year ends if not ever. Expand
  68. Oct 1, 2010
    This movie was all-around exceptional and it DOES deserve the hype it's being given. It was so close to a perfect movie that it literally missed it by a hair, but it still deserves the 10 (because it deserves more of a 9.5). The acting was great across the board, and other than Justin Timberlake (casting him was one of the film's minor flaws) there were no over the top performances and that made the whole situation more reality based. It's depiction of today's culture was spot-on and its themes of greed, friendship, and betrayal were perfectly realized within the storyline. The direction and cinematography were fantastic as well. It is definitely worth seeing. Expand
  69. Oct 1, 2010
    David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin don't disappoint. This movie tells an(maybe not the) amazing story of friendship and betrayal. Don't think that this movie is really directed at the "Facebook generation." The story is one that's been since the beginning of storytelling itself. Jesse Eisenberg shines as Mark Zuckerberg. I was pleasantly surprised with how well he was able to portray this kind of character, given what I've seen of his roles in Adventureland and Zombieland (though, to be fair, I haven't seen either of those in their entirety). Andrew Garfield is great as Eduardo, Armie Hammer delivers a really well done, believable performance as the Winklevoss twins, and Justin Timberlake was strong portraying Sean Taylor, the young founder of Napster who manages to worm his way into the Facebook empire.

On top of the great acting, Fincher's expected great directed, and the well-written dialogue from Aaron Sorkin, this movie's score really shines. I have a bit of bias here, as I'm a huge Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails fan, but I feel that he and Atticus Ross really portrayed the feel of everything that was happening, while still maintaining the trademark sound they've been known to produce when collaborating.
  70. Oct 6, 2010
    If you're going to have a movie that's primarily people talking, you'd better have a good writer. That's certainly the case here: Aaron Sorkin has crafted a witty, snappy and poignant story of Facebook's creation and the subsequent lawsuits among its creators. Add the assured direction of David Fincher and solid performances from every actor. The result is a an enthralling examination of computer nerds, social jealousy and greed. A simply brilliant take on a remarkable phenomenon. Expand
  71. Oct 3, 2010
    absolutly loved the social network, great cast great writing and a great story being told. i would recomend seeing it to anyone. one of few movies i would give 10/10
  72. Oct 8, 2010
    "The Social Network" could end up defining this generation. It was witty and over the top where it needed to be while still being able to show the "sensitive" side of a boy who really just wanted to create something "cool". While the movie ends with Zuckerman searching for friendship, he ended up creating the greatest social networking site ever. It is interesting to think about what today's world would be like without Facebook. Also, Sean Parker's role in the creation of facebook was somewhat unknown until now and while the movie did take some creative liberties it is interesting to see the dynamic between Parker and Zuckerman. The best part of the movie was actually the soundtrack (an amazing job down by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails), which ended up making each scene that Mark Zuckerman an intense thrill ride as he took on the system and later on his colleagues. Overall a job well done. Expand
  73. Oct 4, 2010
    The Social Network was an amazing movie. the actors were great. jesse eisenberg really showed himself in this movie. the guy who played enuardo was amazing to. i was astounded that this was PG-13. there was a lot of drinking and drugs. they actually showed coke on screen. justin timberlake did a great job. go see this movie
  74. Oct 5, 2010
    Disappointing, given the talent of Aaron Sorkin. I'm happy to enjoy movies based on the work of a Broadway playwright, even if the effect is one of staginess. But having your central character remain a cipher is always a dangerous strategy. Jesse Eisenberg does a great job of trying to fill in the blanks of Mark Zuckerberg, as written, and he deserves high praise. Of course, Sorkin and Fincher may have been constrained by legal injuctions, so MZ had to be a cardboard character. A workaround was to create the two best female parts in the story as bookends: the girlfriend in the first scene (who sees into his soul) and the second chair attorney at the deposition (who sees even deeper) in the final scene. Smart choices, here, Mr. Sorkin. But the movie ended and I felt the Zuckerberg character had never arrived. Expand
  75. Oct 5, 2010
    I liked this, almost masterpiece of a film, very much indeed. It's very timely, intelligent and absorbing.
    The intelligent screenplay has wit and scathing humor. Award nominations are due, for picture, director, screenplay, cinematography, film editing and Jesse Eisenberg's lead acting performance as billionaire facebook.com founder Mark Zuckerberg.
  76. Oct 5, 2010
    As far as I should not go to say I would give this film the title of "Movie of the Year", it has to be done. In my mind, "The Social Network" went further than "Inception" not in depth, but in pure talent, excitement, wit, and captivation. These weren't characters that were liked or disliked, it was characters that you could relate to off the bat. Eisenberg (Whom we all know from the acclaimed "Zombieland") rightfully deserves an Oscar for the portrayal of a genius who is as temperamental as he is flamboyant. Garfield could as well receive an Oscar for his supporting role, the business-savvy, intelligent, Eduardo Saverin, who without the character, the movie is not. He brings an attitude the movie that would be unforeseen beforehand. With great supporting characters such as the "Winklevi", Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss (Hammer), Sean Parker (Timberlake), and other programmers and friends that surround Zuckerberg in his daily ventures, this movie bring the new decade of the internet full circle, and greatly explains the hottest fad online over the past few years. Expand
  77. Oct 5, 2010
    I watched "The Social Network" the first day it came out and again the very next day because it was so amazingly good. Listen, I consider myself a pretty critical person when it comes to movies. I'm not going to invest 2 hours of my time on a movie unless its nothing short of spectacular and most of the reviews I've read are very good. Well, "The Social Network" is in a league of its own! It's been four days since I've seen it and I CAN'T GET THE MOVIE OUT OF MY HEAD! I've never watched something where I was so satisfied from beginning to end. The acting, directing, screenplay, cinematography, score are all flawless. Jesse Eisenberg delivers the performance of a lifetime. He IS Mark Zuckerberg. And even though he comes across as a genius prick, part of you can't help but root for him. The rest of the cast are all fantastic, but its Eisenberg who makes the movie what it is. The dialogue in the movie is the best I seen since "Good Will Hunting", but I would have to say its even better. There aren't any dull moments. The pacing is incredible. I've never bought a soundtrack for a movie but Trent Reznor (score composer) convinced me otherwise. His music in the movie is haunting and genius. I can't recommend this movie enough! And btw, the fact that it is about Facebook is irrelevant. The themes concepts, and relationships make the movie what it is. So do yourself a favor and go see it NOW! Expand
  78. Oct 8, 2010
    Very good movie; great cast. Highly Recommended. one of the few films that my ADD did not make me wounder else where. Great job to the JT and Jesse. Well done
  79. Oct 8, 2010
    great movie! outstanding acting on Jesse's part and a great and intriguing story with good characters and scripting, go see this one, if your willing to pay attention and have the attention span of someone more than a 6-year old you will love it.
  80. Oct 20, 2010
    Let me just start by saying that just about everything about this movie is mind-blowing and incredible. With a strong soundtrack by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, the music goes perfectly with the concept of the picture. The screenplay and dialogue are excellent, and Mark & Eduardo both are played by good actors. Based on this movie, you could say that Mark Zuckerberg is a punk-genius-traitor-prophet-billionaire. Expand
  81. Oct 9, 2010
    A movie that truly helps define the ambitions of a new generation, and the conflicting ideals we as human beings have. After the movie is over, you are aware that it is dramatized, but the the sudden abstraction of what defines a human eliminates any criticism of its fantasy.
  82. Dec 27, 2010
    This movie on paper should be a pessimistic disaster but somehow is handled perfectly. It had the light writing/director touch that made a movie like American Beauty work so well. See it.
  83. Nov 13, 2010
    "The Social Network" introduces the audience to the main character -- and the speed and originality of the dialog reflecting the speed and originality of the changes portrayed -- in the opening exchange and never looks back...while constantly looking back. Just go along for the high-speed ride and a fascinating portrayal of today's brilliant young entrepreneurs and a slice of today's business world. The casting is excellent, the dialog is highly entertaining, and the story feels as real as it maybe is. Expand
  84. Oct 10, 2010
    Let's face it: the invention of a website does not naturally translate into exciting movie material. But the way this movie is presented - storytelling from multiple perspectives, present day-flashback devices etc. - turn it into a genuinely interesting, enormously entertaining experience from start to finish. I can't quite give it a 10 though becuase of a few nit-picks. The major problem appears to be the way the script translated to the screen. While the script was indeed brilliantly written, a ideal script should have the feel of a cast of different characters speaking for themselves. Unfortunately, when this script plays out, it sort of feels like a cast of characters speaking for the script-writer. I know, it's a minor detail, but this excellent movie could have been positively LEGENDARY with a bit more uniqueness in the characters, and character development. Also, when your protagonist is a billionaire, you really have to try harder to get your audience to feel sorry for him/her. Whether or not 'The Social Network' is fact or fiction, I didn't leave that theater feeling any empathy for Mark Zuckerberg. I know, it sounds like i hated this movie, but I assure you I really liked it. You will undoubtedly be entertained. Expand
  85. Oct 11, 2010
    Overall, an interesting movie. BUT unless you either a) are a computer geek, b) have familiarity with depositions, or c) are just nostalgic for the days when you needed a college email address to even have a Facebook account, you probably won't find the movie entertaining. Luckily, I could kinda group myself in 2 out of the 3 catergories, lol.
  86. Feb 6, 2011
    Credit where credit is due for David Fincher and all that were involved in this film. What essentially is a film where people sit around talking about the development of social networking side has turned out to be one of the best films of the decade. I approached the film with skepticism and doubt that this would be any more than a boring film. I even questioned David Fincher's judgement when he decided to adapt Mark Zuckerberg's journey from his dorm to CEO of the biggest social networking site in Europe. People have critiqued the decision to cast Justin Timberlake but I felt he played his part perfectly. Jesse Eisenberg impressed me too. His portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg was amazing.

Overall, this is one of those films that by the end credits, you feel a little disappointed that it wasn't on for longer but 2 hours is long enough. A fantastic film and one in which I will recommend highly to all my friends and family.
  87. Oct 11, 2010
    Blown away. I was skeptical about this movie from the very beginning, ever since I saw the trailer with "creep" playing in the background. I guess I was asking myself what many people were thinking. "How good can a movie about the creation of Facebook be?" Snore...

However, if this turns you off, don't think of it as a movie about the creation of facebook, think of it as a movie
    contemplating what is right and wrong. Aaron Sorkin's script is masterfully written, the dialogue flows at an incredible speed (don't listen to David Eckstein, the guy is a dimwit and probably couldn't follow along), and the actors give an outstanding performance. Justin Timberlake...who knew? Bravo good sir, you do not need to make another record, I believe you have found your calling.

This film had me sucked in for the two hours, and it didn't even feel like that long, and I am really finding it hard to stop raving about this movie to friends who have not seen it yet. I can quite honestly say it is one of, if not THE best movie I have ever seen. 10/10 and Oscar nominations to follow. If you haven't yet, go see it.
  88. Oct 11, 2010
    A perfect film. Sharp writing and directing. Great performances. Haunting score. I can't say enough positive things about this. It is, at least so far, the movie of the year.
  89. Oct 18, 2010
    Very entertaining and interesting. Certainly doesn't let the facts get in the way of the story, but shows all sides of the inception of Facebook. The only movie that I remember ever to depict programming as anything vaguely related to actual practice.
  90. Nov 24, 2010
    @peopleofearth

This is quite simply, and quite easily, the best and most quintessentially [and simultaneously] sociable and isolable film of twentyten. Ben Mezrich beams! Aaron Sorkin soars! David Fincher ad-ministers! And Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake each deserve the Red Carpet treatment for their socially infectious performances! Jeff Cronenweth writes with
    the camera so impressively. The stunningly interesting score from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross is cerebrally viral and adds new grammar to cinema in the Age of Social Networking. The Social Network does two things beautifully: it boldly reflects all facets of our increasingly digital society and smugly, knowingly, provides the very sort slick social commentary required for pursuits of the modern, ever more global, social milieu. Don't miss it and plan to see it more than once. *wink! Expand
  91. Oct 22, 2010
    The Social Network completely deserves its excellent Metascore. Everything about this movie was just done so well, it still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. The acting was top-notch, the direction was superb, and the interweaving of scenes from the hearings with the often-gritty founding of Facebook serves the movie very well.

I honestly can't think of anything that could
    have been done better. I was a bit iffy when I saw that Justin Timberlake had a somewhat important role in the movie, but I'm pleased to say that he pulled off his part remarkably well, and his character adds a fun though naughty edge and hilarity to the movie. Expand
  92. Oct 25, 2010
    One dimensional, uninteresting characters with no redeeming qualities. I didn't care what happened to any of them. I've liked most of David Fincher's movies, but this one lacked heart and depth. Too much of the movie was spent explaining. Show me don't tell me.
  93. Nov 2, 2010
    Pretty good movie. Saw it with freinds and everyone liked it. Definitely worth seeing and would recommend it. I liked the actors too. It made me feel bad for Eduardo though. He seems to have gotten a rough deal.
  94. Nov 4, 2010
    This movie is fantastically entertaining and captivating. I was totally swept away and forgot I was even watching a movie! My favorite movie of the year. It has been a long time since I walked out of a cinema feeling this satisfied. Technically brilliant, interesting characters and popular culture. Could one ask for any more?
  95. Nov 8, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not a film about facebook. Nor is it a film about Mark Zuckerberg or a court case. It is a film about what friendship means today, and how the internet harnesses people's base inclination to objectify others, as well as utilize their assets for personal gain, especially in the area of artificial social reputation.
    Zuckerberg never understood what it really meant to be friends. Being friends means others use you to get where they want. As he tells Erica Albright in the opening scene, if she is his girlfriend, she would get to meet people she wouldn't normally get to meet, and he would attain reputations he would not be able to reach, since he can't row crew, and since he isn't part of a fraternity.
    Obviously she is offended by his robotic approach to "friendship", and breaks up with him, delivering a key like that sets up the rest of the film: "You will probably be a very successful computer person. But if girls hate you, don't think it's because you're a nerd. It'll be because you're an asshole."

In an intoxicated, vengeful rage, Zuckerberg launches a site that allows people to rate girls based on their looks. Immediately he appeals to young mens' tendencies to objectify women, and makes it easy and even fun for them to do so. And breaking up with a girl was all it took to change the history of friendship.

The Social Network is a depressing revelation of the state our society is in, and the way we relate to each other in the informal, impersonal way that is the internet and texting. (When offered a chance to make friends who row crew, he instead took their idea and texted them to keep them in the dark long enough for him to pull ahead and make the idea his own.)

But it is a good film. It is entertaining (thank you, Justin Timberlake), it is witty, well-written, and it feels appropriate to each of the realms into which it delves: modern campus life (not the National Lampoon caricature), modern court cases, and facebook. It's a timeless film that uses the mold of our generation's norms to tell a harsh story that has always been true.
  96. Nov 15, 2010
    It is a place that we lovingly look over, from within the glass-walled offices or the comforts of home or amid the hustle-bustle of an eatery, or in a vehicle on the move. It straddles bits of a social life within â
  97. Nov 17, 2010
    Great Movie... sorkin's style is genius, and i feel that anyone who didn't like the dialogue just had a hard time keeping up or didn't get the jokes.
  98. Nov 22, 2010
    The film's premise as a movie about the world's most popular social networking site can quickly leave many people astray. But it just comes to show that writing about a website, something that hasn't really been done before, can actually become one of the most dramatic, funniest, and intelligent stories ever told. David Fincher takes the rising star Jesse Eisenberg, and the platinum selling artist Justin Timberlake, a team of not well known actors, and an intelligent script. What does this equal? Ultimate Perfection. The script is what drives this film into the best movie of the year, with the cast as a bonus. David Fincher keeps all the drama extremely factual. It takes you on a journey from Facebook's roots, to what it's become today. Mark Zuckerberg is shown as the #1 betraying asset in this film. By the end, it's not clear whether you should feel sorry for Zuckerberg, or forget him and just admire his interactive creation which 500 million people use on a regular basis. Expand
  99. Nov 29, 2010
    Interestingly enough, Hollywood had decided to make a movie about a boring subject, the making of Facebook. The story was supposed to be just a mess with lawsuits and betrayal of friends. But writer Aaron Sorkin turned the story into a must-see of the decade. He turned it into a witty, fast-paced, thrilling, and an Oscar-winning script. Luckily, The Social Network got David Fincher (Curious Case of Benjamin Button) as a director, which makes it even better. David Fincher's achievement in this film is going to score him another Oscar nod. (Fincher is directing The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, English version, my favorite book). The actual Facebook story is about Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg), a Harvard undergraduate (computer genius), who wrote the code for the Facebook website. Teaming up with him was him roomate Eduardo Saverin, whom later sued him for... well lots of **** Mark ran into playboy Sean Parker who convinced Mark to "betray" his partner (Eduardo), that's what lead to the law suit. Though people say Aaron Sorkin's script is an inaccurate potray of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, who in real life is down to Earth and not an **** like in the story, I say he was just trying to make the story A LITTLE more interesting than it already is (sarcasm). Aaron Sorkin not only made the story more interesting, he made it smarter and more thrilling. Performance wise? I will have to admit that I think The Social Network will dominate the Oscars in the acting categories. Jesse Eisenberg gave one hell of a performance! Since he had been playing a loser-with-no-girlfriend kind of guy, this is really typical for him. His fast talking and annoying ass attitude really stole every scene that the camera sets on him. Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake also gave fine, dramatic performances which MIGHT earn them an Oscar nod. But in terms of Jesse Eisenberg, he is guaranteed an Oscar nomination (he might even win considering there is no other good movies this time of year). Directing, writing, and acting all great in one movie is rare (to say the least). The Social Network succeeds in every assets that the film was trying to achieve. Expand
  100. Dec 15, 2010
    The Social Network is a masterpiece, it's the Citizen Kane of 2st century. The film has dialogues so intelligent and deep, actors are perfect in their roles. Perfect Direction, Screenplay, Cinematography and Edition.

With a thieves den of borderline-Shakespearian characters, a wickedly literate screenplay, potent direction by David Fincher, an exceptional ensemble cast and subject matter that speaks to a generation and well beyond, The Social Network is mesmerizing.
  2. The result is a ripped-from-the-Zeitgeist film that is razor-sharp, an astute and funny portrait of the early 2000s, with all its LOL's, its IMO's and its WTF's. Mostly its WTF's.
    Eisenberg, one of those young actors who has existed just below the radar for several years now (he was the lead in both "Zombieland" and "Adventureland," not to be confused with one another), deserves an Oscar for this dead-on portrayal of a temperamental genius.