• Studio: A24
  • Release Date: Aug 2, 2013
8.1

1. Aug 2, 2013
    The Spectacular Now is everything its name implies. Miles Teller does a fine job playing a smooth-talking popular high school senior who relishes only on the "now", but I think that it was Sheilene Woodley's amazing performance that did it for me. You can see the hurt inside of these two generally happy people and you witness the vices of the lead character that emanates to the mostThe Spectacular Now is everything its name implies. Miles Teller does a fine job playing a smooth-talking popular high school senior who relishes only on the "now", but I think that it was Sheilene Woodley's amazing performance that did it for me. You can see the hurt inside of these two generally happy people and you witness the vices of the lead character that emanates to the most important people in his life. Definitely one of the summer's best films. Expand
  2. Aug 11, 2013
    A very convincing realistic take on highschool romance. I watch a ton of movies, and this movie is original in a similar vein to 500 days of summer. Atypical focus on the weight that first loves are. The directing, writing, and acting triggered memories of my own early romance.
  3. Sep 2, 2013
    The Spectacular Now is amazing! By far my favorite movie of the year. Great acting all around the board, but there is somewhat of a somber mood throughout. Still, go see it.
  4. Sep 26, 2013
    What a Great Movie. It is about young people learning some of the hard truths in life. It is a movie that is hard to forget. The acting is superb. The movie is realistic of life of high schoolers. Wonderful film.
  5. Aug 18, 2013
    Some of the best acting I have seen in a movie in a long, long time--definitely the best acting I have seen this year. The writing is good, but Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley (particularly Woodley) are so astounding that the characters lift the movie out of what could have been just-another-high-school-movie obscurity. By the end of the film, I was sobbing out of sheer love for theseSome of the best acting I have seen in a movie in a long, long time--definitely the best acting I have seen this year. The writing is good, but Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley (particularly Woodley) are so astounding that the characters lift the movie out of what could have been just-another-high-school-movie obscurity. By the end of the film, I was sobbing out of sheer love for these kids, sad to see them go and nostalgic for lovers and friends in high school and college that I recognized. And I'm not exaggerating--I really felt like I knew these people, which is an incredible feat considering I only knew them for only 90 minutes. They are not archetypes. They are not caricatures. These are real high school seniors.

This movie is truly beautiful. It's a great start to Oscar bid season, and let's just say that I'd have to see MANY more earth-shaking performances from women this year in order to be convinced that Shailene Woodley (at the very least) did not deserve a nod. When I found out that she was also starring in the film adaptation of John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, I jumped for joy. After seeing The Spectacular Now, I was convinced that she was the only actress who could do justice to the role of Hazel.

Teller, Woodley, and Ponsoldt (director) are all going places, that's for sure. Or at least they better be.
  6. Sep 9, 2013
    Shockingly realistic with a cast you grow to love. Brings to bear more substance and depth to characters usually marginalized by their age and circumstance. Beautifully shot.
  7. Dec 29, 2013
    A film that opens your eyes to the world of love, showing that nothing comes from nothing and that everything will go one way. beautiful beautiful wild
  8. Jan 10, 2014
    Falling in love with this film is made easy by the spectacular Shailene Woodley, a film so captivating that you're not quite ready to let these characters go when the credits start rolling in.
  9. Dec 20, 2013
    This movie is a bit outside my typical range of films I go out and watch but it was suggested to me by a friend. I won't go too into it but the two leads played incredibly. It was as touching as can be and it was surprisingly real. I finished watching the movie and was left with emotions running high for hours after. I honestly kind of want to see it again already. It was that good.This movie is a bit outside my typical range of films I go out and watch but it was suggested to me by a friend. I won't go too into it but the two leads played incredibly. It was as touching as can be and it was surprisingly real. I finished watching the movie and was left with emotions running high for hours after. I honestly kind of want to see it again already. It was that good. Surprised it doesn't have a higher score. One of my favorite movies of 2013. Expand
  10. Aug 3, 2014
    I honestly loved this one. Coming of age stories are nothing new, but this one feels entirely fresh and authentic. Watching this film felt like watching the actual lives of some small town teens and the things they go through in their lives. Miles Teller is great, as are Shailene Woodley and Brie Larson. As I said, everything here felt authentic and that was in large part thanks to theirI honestly loved this one. Coming of age stories are nothing new, but this one feels entirely fresh and authentic. Watching this film felt like watching the actual lives of some small town teens and the things they go through in their lives. Miles Teller is great, as are Shailene Woodley and Brie Larson. As I said, everything here felt authentic and that was in large part thanks to their acting. They all played the roles of high school seniors heading into the rest of their lives very well. The direction is also great and feels very focused. The film is certainly of a slower nature, but so much is happening in the development of these characters and their relationships with one another that it never gets boring. In addition, the relationships between them, the setting, and the cinematography, all contribute to an overall beauty to the film. As a whole, this one is great and easy to watch. Based on what I have seen, it is definitely one of my favorite films from 2013. Expand
  11. Oct 22, 2013
    A teen romance of some distinction. Smart, well acted, moving and very funny. Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley give remarkably fresh performances helped no end by an intelligent screenplay. Teller is utterly charming and Woodley is believably vulnerable (so different from her Descendants turn). At the start of the film I did have some difficulty in catching all the dialogue and at first IA teen romance of some distinction. Smart, well acted, moving and very funny. Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley give remarkably fresh performances helped no end by an intelligent screenplay. Teller is utterly charming and Woodley is believably vulnerable (so different from her Descendants turn). At the start of the film I did have some difficulty in catching all the dialogue and at first I wasn't sure if it was down to the actors' delivery or just due to appalling sound. It actually must be the former as once I got used to the performers dialect the problem disappeared. The film is basically about life growing up and all the pleasures and pain that entails. The film's tonal changes are perfectly handled (including one absolutely shocker of a moment that had me literally gasping as it was so unexpected) and the end result is surprising and richly rewarding. It's also great to see Jennifer Jason Leigh back on screen albeit in a thankless mother role. I must say that I went to this film with no expectations and I knew absolutely nothing whatsoever about it. Well, it certainly lives up to its title's adjective as it is spectacular indeed! Expand
  12. Apr 26, 2014
    Don't make the mistake of thinking this is some "coming of age movie" for teens. It isn't.
    This is a grown up movie that I imagine would not appeal to the typical teen/young adult American demographic. The characters are complex, the performances outstanding and the story pretty serious and tragic. This movie is for people who can look back on the foolishness of their childhood. For those who compare it to 500 Days Of Summer or Say Anything were simply out of their depth here.
    The script never hand feeds you the fact that these kids are growing up in a extraordinarily difficult situation and not really coping with it well. It's a mature movie for mature people. And it's excellent.
  13. Jan 24, 2014
    I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!! This made it in my top 3 movies of 2013. This movie has no explosions or gunshots so watch it by yourself or with your boyfriend/girlfriend not with your manly buddies. Watch and you won't regret!
  14. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Spectacular Now was a pretty good movie for a romance (I'm not usually a fan of romance. I probably only liked it because it wasn't ridiculously long like Twilight and its sequels).
  15. Aug 7, 2014
    The Spectacular Now doesn't shy away from sex or alcohol, but deals with those subjects in a very electrifyingly realistic way. And with all honesty, the movie shows what teenagers do these days.
  16. Jul 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Spectacular Now turned out to be one of my favorite movies that I've seen. As a high school student, I couldn't help but think about my own journey. The movie felt very genuine and refreshing. It is perfectly directed, including a stunning and bittersweet screenplay. The performances are so great you won't even mind hearing the word "awesome" a good 500 times.

It is simply the best coming-of-age film/teen drama out there.
  17. Jul 22, 2014
    The film The Spectacular Now directed by James Ponsoldt is a Drama, Romantic Comedy mix. One main actor named Miles Teller plays the high school senior named Sutter who in high school is thought of as the class clown or just a joke is stuck in the high school vibe and wants to stay in the "now" and not think about his future. Sutter is an alcoholic and really cant go a few hours without aThe film The Spectacular Now directed by James Ponsoldt is a Drama, Romantic Comedy mix. One main actor named Miles Teller plays the high school senior named Sutter who in high school is thought of as the class clown or just a joke is stuck in the high school vibe and wants to stay in the "now" and not think about his future. Sutter is an alcoholic and really cant go a few hours without a drink. A day that Sutter and his girfriend break up, he drinks a lot and then crashes on the lawn of a high school girl named Amy. She is a normal girl that doesnt really stick out and with him crashing on her lawn it allows him to talk the way he never talks to anyone at school or at parties. He helps her on the paper route she does to help her mom and that allows him in his mind sort of speak give her that boyfriend experience. By him doing the paper route with her, he helps her and helps him self because he is down about himself without really showing it. The directors made the movie have a realistic relationship between Amy and Sutter. The movie has a lot of stages that effect the realtionship between them. The movie slowly progresses into the relationship and when you watch it, you see that the relationship they have is like the real world. As the relationship progresses on, Amy realizes that she is falling for Sutter but since Sutter is stuck in the mind set he has always been in, he doesnt realize he is in love with her too. Sutter has a divorced family and never talks to or sees his dad. His mom was "protecting" him from him but Sutter met him with Amy and went to the bar but his father wouldnt take the time to chat and hangout with his son. His dad went out with this girl in the bar and told Sutter and Amy to meet him back at his place. They waited at his place and went back to the bar after a few hours of waiting, they saw him drinking and hanging out with his friends. Sutter still drinking his whisky went into a deep state and started fighting with Amy. They faught driving down the road and almost got hit. Sutter told Amy that he wasnt good for her and told her to get out of his car. Amy crying and saying sorry to him got hit by a truck driving down the road. They parked on the side of the road with Amy's door facing the road, being hit, she got a broke arm and Sutter realized what he had done. Amy got into college in Philly and stood up to her mom on letting her go. Sutter still in his drinking mind set, didnt go say bye to Amy when she was leaving to Philly and that made her upset but she insisted for the bus to wait so she could say bye to Sutter. After she left, Sutter went to the bar and was saying he had to let her go and he was freeing her. This guy sitting next to him said he was a king and got Sutter even more drunk. At the end Sutter drove home and hit the mailbox. He was telling his mom that she never loved him and that he is just like his father. She hugged him and said he has the biggest heart and loves everyone. At the end after Amy has been in college for a bit Sutter suprises her at the school. They look at each other and still have that connection between each other. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 25, 2013
    As a wisely devised teenage drama, The Spectacular Now treats kids and adults respectfully, even their foolish weaknesses. That respect extends to the audience.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Aug 22, 2013
    Has an honesty few movies seek or achieve these days.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Aug 22, 2013
    There’s much to appreciate here. Like “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” which had a stronger sense of its place in the world, this coming-of-age movie should appeal to smart, sensitive young people who haven’t been exposed to the better examples of the genre.