The Tale of Despereaux

6.7

1. TimoV.
    Mar 8, 2009
    A food loving rat ends up messing around in the kitchen with a soup, which unleashes a mayhem like never seen before. Sounds familiar, a bit like Ratatouille? Well, it's not. The Tale of Despereaux has some very beautiful passages to it, some wonderful artwork, but the animation sucks and the story is a bit too fractured to really work for this type of a film.
  2. JayH.
    Apr 5, 2009
    Nicely animated, but it just seems they took a lot of ideas and characters from other animated films and made a movie out of it. It lacks imagination and freshness, but I was still entertained.
  3. Lizziebeth-1
    Feb 15, 2009
    6/10, surprisingly, it should have been a lot better. Told by Sigourney Weaver as a narrator, it sounds just like a fairytale of an enchanted princess who confronts a talking mouse, who, just like in Ratatouille, is banished by his mouse clan for talking to humans. There are well-intentioned messages here about a rat and an
  4. JeffW.
    Dec 29, 2008
    Overall, this was a good movie for kids under the age of 8. The film could have been about 20 minutes shorter and had a bit less violence for a G rated movie, but everyone under 8 enjoyed it.
  5. Mar 22, 2011
    Two years ago during Christmas of 2008, I got this book of the same name written by author Kate Dicamillo. I read it, enjoyed it, and was desperate to see this CGI movie-adaptation of a great book. I did saw it at the Clifton Park Mall at Albany, New York during my visit with my cousins at Christmas. Throughout the whole movie, it didn't meet my expectations, but for a kids movie, its justTwo years ago during Christmas of 2008, I got this book of the same name written by author Kate Dicamillo. I read it, enjoyed it, and was desperate to see this CGI movie-adaptation of a great book. I did saw it at the Clifton Park Mall at Albany, New York during my visit with my cousins at Christmas. Throughout the whole movie, it didn't meet my expectations, but for a kids movie, its just pretty decent.

The storyline was weak and scrambled, it had some very dark moments and the villain's death in the movie was very mediocre, but the animation was excellent, The characters were worth-seeing, The acting was great, and The music score by William Ross was lovely.

Although, did I forget to mention that it had every single actor I've known for the past few years? Man, was that awesome! H*ll, Even Matthew Broderick (The Lion King, Bee Movie), Emma Watson (The Harry Potter Series), and Dustin Hoffman (Kung Fu Panda) were so freaking good.

Bottomline: "The Tale of Despereaux" isn't the best CGI cartoon and its not intended for adults, but for the kids, its definitely worth a watch on DVD rental only.

Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars
  6. Mar 27, 2013
    They changed several things about the book that simply didn't work for the film. One thing, where Despereaux is a just a boy and has Dustin Hoffman's older than dirt voice, the cook' s friend made from kitchen ingredients and the bad rat just kept jumping around the side he was on.
  7. Mar 24, 2015
    This movie is not the greatest. It's actually slightly worse than Ratatouille. The storyline was okay. The voice acting was fine. The animation sucked. Tales of Despereux was not funny at all but if you have no sense of humor, then watch it. If you do like me, avoid it. Watch Harry Potter instead.

1. The flatly generic results certainly appear at odds with the picture's stirring visual style, which pays homage to the great Flemish artists.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    This graphically well-rendered kidpic is less crass and mouthy than many recent feature-length toons, but also more sluggish and ungainly as it tries to approximate DiCamillo's singularly delicate tone.
    While it meanders on its way to the requisite happy ending, the lush, stylised animation and courtly flourishes would win over anyone.