7.7

1. Dec 21, 2013
    All i can say is wowwww!!!!! One of the best movies of the 21st century.. i gotta say this is in my top 10 favorite movies of all time.. ben affleck has found his calling as a supreme director... i love the authenticity of this movie actually taking real life people from the streets of Charlestown and putting them in movie.. the setup w fenway park and how they take down the cathedral of boston is simply amazing! Ben affleck not only directed a gem here but he also put up an oscar wwinning performance in my opinion.. especially w the way hisaccent was.. this is a great masterpiece and shouldnt be thought of anything less Expand
  2. Nov 1, 2013
    Much better than the overrated Ben Affleck's movie "Argo". Engrossing cliffhanger simply.
    Great guises of robbers, I think nuns and skeletons are rocking :D
    Blake Lively perfectly come in to her own with the bad woman role.
  3. Oct 18, 2013
    The Town is a very good thriller. It's nearly a great one, but falls just shy of that mark. It's extremely well acted, and I actually believe Affleck did a better job directing here than with Argo. A noticeable tension runs through the film, mostly due to the realism of the whole thing. You really get the feeling that this is a lived in world and not just a studio's production. The love story dealing with Affleck's character and a hostage actually gives the movie more meaning instead of making it feel cheezy, which is a hard thing to do but it still slows down the pacing too much. The action scenes are done with vigor and energy, which is refreshing compared to other films' usually flat time fillers. Where the movie does fall kind of short is in its formulaic one last job scenario. The screenplay is actually extremely well written and full of fiery dialogue exchanges and desperate situations, but it's all set in a limited frame. I let Inception slide with its one last job cleche because it was so innovative in other areas and not affected or limited by that plot point at all. Despite these gripes The Town is still an exhilarating, engaging, and surprisingly atmospheric crime thriller which is definitely worth buying. It's too bad that it only got one Oscar nomination. Expand
  4. Sep 18, 2013
    Riveting drama by Ben Affleck, falling only a hair short from perfection. The execution is done with a touch of sense and reality, and the style of filming and the way it jumps from scene to scene keeps your eyes glued to the screen.
  5. Jul 8, 2013
    Ben Affleck shows he is a very talented director and does a strong job on screen as well. The robbery scenes look good and Jeremy Renner is good as well.
  6. Jul 5, 2013
    I know this film got great reviews, but it just didn't do it for me. It felt like I had seen this all before (and I have! In i.e. Heat). The characters were mostly unlikable to me, and the love story hard to believe. It's not a bad film, but it's not one of my favourite heist movies and it's hardly original....
  7. Apr 13, 2013
    Before his academy award winning movie "Argo", Ben Affleck has created this intense crime thriller that proves that he's got what it takes to make a Bad-A** movie. It is tremendous in storytelling. Even though the love story portion is a bit strange, it still manages to work fantastically. Plus, it features a tremendous ensemble of actors such as Ben Affleck, John Hamm, Blake Lively, Rebecca Hall and of course, Jeremy Renner. They all really keep the story very well interesting and entertaining, especially Jeremy's portrayl of James Coughlin. It's also thrilling with the bank robbery scenes. God were they intense. Overall, it's a crime thrilling 21st century version of "Heat." Expand
  8. Apr 4, 2013
    Ben Affleck has directed 3 great movies. But the last one, Argo, is definitely better. Not the most impressive ever or passionate or fun, but it´s flaw-less. This second one (The Town) is well executed, is interesting enough, but there were moments in the film when I thought it was going to be so great, but it never got there. I found the ending predictable, or at least like I´ve seen similar things in some other movies a while ago. Good film for a new director. But not one that will stick with you Expand
  9. Feb 26, 2013
    Ben Affleck leads and directs an excellent cast in what can only be described as the most intelligent and grounded heist movie in a long, long time.
    We lead in with a few snippets about a square mile place in Boston called Charlestown, which apparently is where the most professional of bank heist robbers come from, accounting for around 300 robberies in Boston each year. This isn't
    dramatisation...this is fact.
    We then lead in with Doug McCrea (Affleck) and his associates robbing a bank, but in a very professional manner, they rid the place of DNA traces, they know who works there and they know when the time lock allows the safe to open, these boys have did their homework, and Affleck has certainly stayed up late in mastering witty and intelligent script to go along with this fantastic movie.
    Jeremy Renner also stars in a very unique and vastly different role from the one he played in The Hurt Locker, sure, he still has the persona, but there is no mistake that his character of 'Jem' Coughlin is dangerous and very unpredictable.
    Th opening heist sequence is smooth, slick and full of ideas to which the viewer can just sit and enjoy what is going on in front of them. This doesn't stop, as the mistake is made of taking a hostage, Claire (Rebecca Hall) who Doug soon starts a relationship with, thus complicating his friendship with the ever loose cannon of Coughlin, and the new investigation from the FBI, headed by agent Frawley (Jon Hamm).
    Affleck has created the perfect balance of characters in that we don't know exactly how to feel towards them, should we forgive them for robbing banks or beating people up? Perhaps not, but of course is where the film shows depth, as Doug is looking at the long term future and has plans to get out of Boston, and its difficult in a film like this to draw the line as a viewer as to what is right and what is wrong, thus making this superbly acted and written., with excellent action and set pieces to go along with the crime caper.
    Affleck delivers a fine performance as the conflicted leader Doug, but its his directing skills and co-writing that really shine through. Renner is arguably the best performance of the film, his consistent disregard for the rules and basic human life is sometimes worrying to the point of anxiety at the film as it unfolds, he shows signs of emotional depth around Doug, but apparently nobody else.
    Rebecca Hall gives a sound performance as Claire, the kidnapped bank worker, her consistent questions regarding bank robberies to Doug are perhaps something to think about, but maybe not too much, with smaller roles for the late great Pete Postlethwaite and the ever expanding CV of Titus Weliiver, (seriously, this guy is in everything) this is perhaps one surprise thriller that is definitely worth seeing.
  10. Feb 24, 2013
    I don't like Ben Affleck as an actor. I think he's very overrated and quite bland. As a director thou, he is now 2 for 2. The town was a terrific story based on actually events. The action sequences are phenomenal and the story was pretty solid. The crappy bawston accents did make the dialogue a little difficult to understand but overall, I feel like this was a great film that defiantly lives up to the hype. It worth checking out. Expand
  11. Jan 13, 2013
    The town is a film to look at in two different ways. It can be your standard action film with average acting and poor story or a film that mixes story and a action brilliantly. I would say the first choice was more accurate.
  12. Dec 8, 2012
    So excellent! I would have loved to see this film grab the 10th Best Picture nominee slot last year...one of the best films of 2010. Ben Affleck has really turned into a great director.
  13. Nov 28, 2012
    "The Town" proves once again that Ben Affleck not only knows how to work in front of the camera. It's taut, brilliant, and modestly optimistic.
  14. Nov 7, 2012
    This is no Departed, but Affleck, in the second film he directed as well is very good. The Town is a well-paced thriller, and is highlighted by Jeremy Renner, who is extraordinary here.
  15. Aug 25, 2012
    While a decent heist thriller, 'The Town' sadly isn't much more than that. When the film is concentrated on anything besides the love story between Ben Affleck and Rebecca Hall, it's pretty interesting. Sadly, the love story is anything but interesting. Most will disagree, but I found the romance to be dull and lifeless. There's a 2 and half hour extended cut of the film that, to me, only makes matters worse by extending the romance. I wanted to like the film more and hopefully get past that main gripe, but I just couldn't. Jeremy Renner steals the show here, although I really did not find his performance to be great enough to be an Oscar contender. I think. As you can tell, I find 'The Town' to be over-rated, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it, it just means that I found nothing special about it. It's good for a single viewing, but I have no real reason to see it again. 7/10 for theatrical version, 6/10 for extended cut. Expand
  16. Aug 25, 2012
    Ben Affleck is continually proving himself to be a very talented director. The story is perhaps just a little too slow for my liking but I really enjoyed the chemistry between him and Jeremy Renner. Everyone pulls their weight in this slow-burning, bank robbery thriller.
  17. May 28, 2012
    Don't be fooled by the fact that Affleck is in this - it's actually pretty good! Slightly predictable popcorn film, but with some good performances and a decent script that make it better than most. Worth a punt.
  18. May 10, 2012
    A single square mile in Boston called Charlestown contains more bank robbers than any other municipality in America/ And it is here where the setting of one of the best films of 2010 takes place. "The Town' is a powerful force that explores thoughts deeper than that of most films about organized thieves.

We are introduced to four criminals who are about to empty out an innocent bank. Two
    of them, Doug and James, are given much attention throughout the movie. The other two are, uh, well I believe there hasn't been a successful heist before in movie history that featured less than four guys. So there you go.

Because this is just the opening scene, the cops arrive right after the crooks get away, and in movie rules, theyâ
  19. Feb 3, 2012
    Greatest thriller of all time. I thought this movie was going to be soo bad. But once i watched this movie with Deadlybrooke i thought this was the greatest movie of all time. I watch it from time to time and it gets better every time i watch it
  20. Dec 28, 2011
    The Town is very much a sappier version of Heat. That being said, it's not a bad movie. It just wasn't nearly as good as I was expecting it to be.
  21. Dec 27, 2011
    Ben Affleck has made another exceptional crime movie, following up Gone Baby Gone with this gem that takes place in the town he loves so much -- Boston. Affleck directs and stars in this story about Charlestown, a Boston neighborhood where bank robbin' runs in the family. Jeremy Renner is phenomenal. Affleck himself is very very good. I didn't expect to love this movie but I loved it.
  22. Oct 28, 2011
    Here we have another attractive woman who falls in love with the lame anti-hero as soon as he tells her the time of day. Why don't these women ever have boyfriends? Or even friends? Half way through the movie the FBI figures out the robbers are Ben and co. So they set a plan in motion involving a slut obsessed with Ben that may or may not work. Meanwhile Ben and his posse walk out their front door and rob two more banks. Having someone watch their house I guess is just too much expenses for taxpayers to handle. In between well shot but completely illogical action sequences you'll find this conversation repeated ad infinitum: "This is what we do. This is the life we chose." Sigh...This movie is a joke. Then the ending is a twist of the knife. Expand
  23. Oct 13, 2011
    The Town is a decent attempt by Ben Affleck and for the most part is entertaining. I did however find the acting a little over done and forced - the characters never seemed to stop yelling and swearing at each other for no real believable reason other than the director wanted them too. The last act was interesting in an action oriented way and was well directed. Not the greatest movie, but good enough to be entertaining. Expand
  24. Oct 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I watched The Town knowing that (a) it starred Ben Affleck; and that (b) it *might* have been directed by the same person. Nothing more.

I really enjoyed this Boston bank robbery tale and - as I'm a sucker for a happy ending - I should've loved how it was concluded. The last 15 minutes felt a little tacked on, but it was a good story well directed by Affleck.
  25. Oct 1, 2011
    Overall a great movie. A little bit slow in the first half of the movie, other than that i would have gave it a 10. Great effects and i loved the realism. Some scene of this movie gave me chills down my back. From the masks, to flash grenades. Also, Great special features. Definitely one to pick up!
  26. Sep 27, 2011
    "The Town" is daring and tense; its a rare gangster movie that is abundant with strong action and appealing force to the audience. Bravo Mr. Affleck, Bravo!!
  27. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    Much better than I expected. Ben Affleck should stick to his Director's Chair, it suits him just fine(See Gone Baby Gone). A compelling thrill ride.
  28. Sep 22, 2011
    Awesome Movie, Ben Affleck has more success as a director than as an actor, and The Town and Gone Baby Gone are very good examples of that. The concept of the film were so amazing, very well written and with a complex story and interesting, there wasn't a second of the movie that I was less interested, Jeremy Renner completely dominated his last scene, he really knew what he was doing, Rebecca Hall was other pleasant surprise, so overall this movie was one of the best movies in 2010. Expand
  29. Aug 22, 2011
    I saw the directors cut of this film witch adds about 30-40 minutes to the movie and i its just really boring to me they just over developed the characters, the actors just kept taking and taking and the action scenes added no thrills or suspense. As to the story its fine as its simply to follow. The action was great but again they just talked to damm much. If you have not seen this movie and are planning to see it make sure you are plenty awake. Expand

1. A first-class genre entry stacked with dandy performances and some crackerjack action to boot.
    This second feature doesn't resonate with nearly as much power, but its suspenseful story of two generations of career criminals in the city's northerly Charlestown neighborhood has a similarly haunting quality.
  3. A rich, dark, pulpy mess of entanglements that fulfills all the requirements of the genre, and is told with an ease and gusto that make the pulp tasty.