8.0

1. Dec 25, 2013
    In the end, The Wolf of Wall Street is an outrageous and repugnant reflection of something very real and very rotten at the core of our society. Some people will inevitably be so put off by the harsh composition of the message that they fail to heed the importance of that message; but in presenting so much of the bad and the ugly behind Wall Street so unflinchingly, Scorsese has craftedIn the end, The Wolf of Wall Street is an outrageous and repugnant reflection of something very real and very rotten at the core of our society. Some people will inevitably be so put off by the harsh composition of the message that they fail to heed the importance of that message; but in presenting so much of the bad and the ugly behind Wall Street so unflinchingly, Scorsese has crafted an insightful and important deconstruction of post-millennial America’s moral erosion. These are the barbarians at our gates. Expand
  2. Dec 25, 2013
    This movie is the most over-the-top film I have seen in a LOONG time. It has everything in its 3-hour length. Many people were turned off by the language, sex, nudity, and drugs, but WoWS is a Scorsese film, so what do ya expect? Jonah Hill and Leonardo DiCaprio were hilarious, the script was sharp, the plot was intricate--this was just a highly enjoyable, off-the-wall film that kept meThis movie is the most over-the-top film I have seen in a LOONG time. It has everything in its 3-hour length. Many people were turned off by the language, sex, nudity, and drugs, but WoWS is a Scorsese film, so what do ya expect? Jonah Hill and Leonardo DiCaprio were hilarious, the script was sharp, the plot was intricate--this was just a highly enjoyable, off-the-wall film that kept me going from the moment the midget-tossing began. This is "The Great Gatsby" on Lemmon 714. Expand
  3. Dec 25, 2013
    It's something new for Scorsese and Di Caprio. I can only remember them together in crime dramas or thrillers. A comedy was a very good choice in my opinion, and what is more, their first real-comedy picture was very very good.
    It's 3 hours though, but it's never boring and during the film you are always at the edge of your seat.
    Very good, and you MUST see it!!!!
  4. Dec 27, 2013
    best film 2013 is so great that i will see it twice because is one of the best leonardo and scorsese films. But is not for everyone only the people that are preapared
  5. Dec 26, 2013
    When Belfort gives his over the top speeches, it's given a spiritual aspect that suggests a slow degeneration of traditional values and morality. It's an observation that the piety that was once a foundation for society was twisted by an ethics driven by materialism and licentious desire, till the value of personal identity and character gave way to appearance and social status. Really disturbing.
  6. Dec 27, 2013
    This movie was different, brilliant and one of it's finest this generation. I kept on thinking how a movie could rise up to be so good in acting and all other criteria when it's so full of sex and humor that may be termed unnecessary. This movie will always be a classic. I absolutely loved it. Martin and Leonardo's combination just seems to be effortlessly incredible and genius. BRAVOOO...This movie was different, brilliant and one of it's finest this generation. I kept on thinking how a movie could rise up to be so good in acting and all other criteria when it's so full of sex and humor that may be termed unnecessary. This movie will always be a classic. I absolutely loved it. Martin and Leonardo's combination just seems to be effortlessly incredible and genius. BRAVOOO... GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!! Expand
  7. Dec 31, 2013
    Martin Scorsese is a master filmmaker and when he gets it right, it's a cinematic treat. Leonardo DiCaprio plays Jordan Belfort, a man who made a lot of money hustling illegal financial deals. He worked hard and played full tilt: copious drugs, profuse sex and unlimited arrogance. This film is chocked full of greed, excess and amazing directorial touches (the hilarious quaalude scene is anMartin Scorsese is a master filmmaker and when he gets it right, it's a cinematic treat. Leonardo DiCaprio plays Jordan Belfort, a man who made a lot of money hustling illegal financial deals. He worked hard and played full tilt: copious drugs, profuse sex and unlimited arrogance. This film is chocked full of greed, excess and amazing directorial touches (the hilarious quaalude scene is an instant classic). The cast of ferocious characters is crammed with memorable performances. At three hours, it never lags, but just keeps entertaining, amusing and exploding with energy. Scorsese at the top of his game.
    (Look for the real Belfort to introduce the fictional Belfort in the last scene.)
  8. Dec 25, 2013
    Leonardo DiCaprio is brilliant in this role worthy of Oscar consideration. This film is filthy but a whole lot of fun. Easily one of the best films of 2013.
  9. Dec 25, 2013
    It's becoming a cliche to say this, but dicaprio gives an oscar winning performance. Told like goodfellas, the wolf of Wall Street is 3 hour epic about greed and money. A terrific film by a legendary director
  10. Dec 26, 2013
    This film left me speechless (in a good way) once the credits rolled. What I saw was, without a doubt, the craziest film Martin Scorsese has ever made! And it was amazing to say the least! The over-the-top sex, drugs, and language play out humorously, which is different for Scorsese, as he usually aims for dramatic when it comes to those sorts of things. Nevertheless, it works perfectly!This film left me speechless (in a good way) once the credits rolled. What I saw was, without a doubt, the craziest film Martin Scorsese has ever made! And it was amazing to say the least! The over-the-top sex, drugs, and language play out humorously, which is different for Scorsese, as he usually aims for dramatic when it comes to those sorts of things. Nevertheless, it works perfectly! The story of Jordan Belfort transitions from comedic and crazy in the first half to dramatic and serious in the second! Both aspects worked perfectly in detailing his crazy, messed up life. DiCaprio's portrayal of Belfort is flawless and should go down as his best performance in his entire career! Jonah Hill was often times hilarious and made for a great comic relief in the more dramatic and serious parts of the film. Matthew McConaughey was very thought-provoking and funny in his small role at the beginning. All of the other supporting cast members did great and helped this film run along smoothly. But overall, in its lengthy 3-hour runtime, Scorsese creates what is (in my opinion) his absolute best film to date (and yes, even better than Goodfellas!) This film is an absolute must-see for any and all Scorsese fans, as well as any movie-goers looking to see one of the best films of the year! Expand
  11. Jan 13, 2014
    The wolf of wall street is amazing, the movie is hilarious and the characters are very charismatics, Leonardo DiCaprio made his best performance in a movie that I have ever seen, the movie can be long, but it's not a waste of time, actually is one of the best movies of 2013, I really wished that this movie had won the golden globe...
  12. Dec 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overview

The Wolf of Wall Street, undoubtedly is one of Leo’s best performances, and makes it seem that Oscar may finally be in his grasp.

Review (with Spoilers)

When Martin Scorsese puts his name on a film, you know that quality is to be expected. Then, with his most recent muse Leonardo DiCaprio being in the lead role, it is almost impossible to imagine them working together leading to something horrible. After all, they are like a more refined, and dependable, version of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp.

Characters & Story

As for the film, the story focuses on one Jordan Belfort (played by Leonardo DiCaprio) who is this highly charismatic man whose ability to inspire is comparable to that of the great villains of history or literature. However, like many villains, things didn’t start off with him going down the wrong path. When we first meet Jordan, he may not be a saint, but his conscious is clean. He has a wife Teresa (played by Cristin Milioti), and simply wants to live a life where monetary worries are something which are foreign and something simply seen on the news. So, with his first entry level job he meets a man named Mark Hanna (played by Matthew McConaughey) who not only mentors him, but is the figure which begins to change Jordan from the man Teresa fell in love with, to a character who you can’t take your eyes off of.

Unfortunately for Jordan though, after finally passing his series 7 exam, to be an official stockbroker, Black Monday happens. With this event, Jordan is out of a job and Mark is out of his life. However, with Mark introducing him to the taste of the life he always wanted, and Jordan having that old school American, pull yourself up by the bootstraps, mentality, he decides to not let this setback kill his vision of the new American dream: getting rich. So, he first starts out doing penny stocks and then begins building an empire with his workers being the downtrodden of the world, making him rise to a level where he almost seems like Hitler without an army or anti-Semitic views. Alongside him is a man who helps see his dreams come true, and push them to ruin: Donnie Azoff (played by Jonah Hill). Making for an overall adventure in which we see the usual dramatic rise and disastrous fall of a figure who may have gotten beaten, but seemingly gets the last laugh and lives to fight another day.

Praise

First and foremost, there is an obligatory need to praise Leonardo DiCaprio for he will keep you entertained for the full three hours of the film. Through breaking the 4th wall, and all different types of debauchery which usually is only seen on HBO or Showtime shows, we are given a 3D character. One who has all the charm needed to trick people out of money, but at the same time seems like the life he lives and the person he is at heart are continually conflicting with each other. I say that since, despite the yacht, massive ego, and the ability to make a million in a day, there is still this sort of vulnerability, if only slightly. Take note of whenever he is looking at a woman as more than a vagina to stick his dick in, he becomes insecure in almost an inexperienced teen way, making it seem like testosterone is able to create a façade for when it is time to show off, but during intimate moments, the mask comes off and all that is left is a man with money and ambitions, but someone who also desires someone stable to share all of his profit with too.

But it isn’t just DiCaprio who gives you an excellent performance. Hill, based off his filmography, seems almost destined to play Azoff, and though he may not go head to head with DiCaprio in terms of prominence, it is hard to deny that as a supporting member, he doesn’t do a hell of a job. Also, I quite admired the use of soul/ blues music throughout the film signaling the shift of Belfort’s rise, and perhaps the best thing about the film is that while it isn’t rolling on the floor funny, it does keep you smiling and entertained all throughout.

Criticism

Leading to perhaps the sole criticism I have for this movie: The Ending. Our journey with Belfort creates the type of movie you can foresee watching more than once, just because of all the madness that goes on; however, the ending just feels so anti-climactic after everything that is done. You watch the man throw midgets, money launder, have sex with tons of woman, take as much drugs as possible without having an overdose, and though I realize Belfort, the actual Jordan Belfort, is alive so a definitive ending isn’t possible, I just felt like after skyrocketing and maintaining that altitude, the ending feels like a plane nose-diving and just barely making it onto the runway safe.

Overall: Must See

I personally am not a huge Leonardo DiCaprio fan, but it is undeniable that his work with Martin Scorsese took him from Jack in Titanic to a mega star. Whatever it is, Scorsese brings out the best out of DiCaprio the same way he did with Robert De Niro for decades. And with that said, t
  13. Dec 26, 2013
    RetroView25 here again and "The Wolf of Wall Street" is a masterpiece of what a "ADULT CONTENT MOVIE FOR A MATURE AUDIENCE" should all be about and MORE!!! It's not about the SEX & Drugs content in the movie and trust me there's PLENTY OF THAT in it, but it is how to tell a fascinating story THAT is beyond belief to be REAL!!! Which will make it a Rental favorite for it's "UnRatedRetroView25 here again and "The Wolf of Wall Street" is a masterpiece of what a "ADULT CONTENT MOVIE FOR A MATURE AUDIENCE" should all be about and MORE!!! It's not about the SEX & Drugs content in the movie and trust me there's PLENTY OF THAT in it, but it is how to tell a fascinating story THAT is beyond belief to be REAL!!! Which will make it a Rental favorite for it's "UnRated Version", as the theatrical version was cut down from a NC 17 to a HARD R!!! (This film is not yet rated circa 2006) Anyone!?!

This 3 HOURS EPIC Movie has excellent pacing to never get dull, while trying to hold your urine for that bathroom break scene that will never come in the movie!!! As, it just keeps getting better and better as the scenes goes on topping the next previous one connecting into one intriguing story of Jordan Belfort Rise and Fall on Wall Street!!!

If Leonardo DiCaprio doesn't win a Oscar for Best Actor, then it's a FRAUD!!! Because, DiCaprio delivered some of the BEST motivational speeches EVER HEARD throughout a movie, that were just PRICELESS to hear, ranking up there with a Tony Robbins motivation speech or Vince Lombardi in "Second Effort" circa 1968 which is the HOLY GRAIL for salespeople to watch!!!

I mean, YOU FEEL EVERY BOOMING FOUL MOUTH WORD COMING OUT of DiCaprio's MOUTH!!! Telling you, "GO OUT THERE & MAKE YOURSELF SOME Mother Fudging Money"!!! And, It is empowering to HEAR as watching must see TV!!! And, the graphic language used in this film is VERY HEAVY with 414 F-Bombs dropped, clearly topping another Highly Acclaimed mature theme film called "Glengarry Glen Ross" circa 1992 with 138 used!!! As, The Wolf of Wall Street ranks number 5 on the all-time list of films that use the "F Word" !!!

So, IF YOU ARE A MATURE ADULT then this will be the movie for you to watch!!! As, there are far and in between movies nowadays contenting Adult themes with everything being gear towards young adolescent, like those neuter comic book movies (X-Men series, Wolverine, Spiderman) or those teenie horror movies (Mortal Instruments, Warm Bodies,Vampire Academy, etc.)!!!
  14. Jan 9, 2014
    Definitely my favorite comedy of the year. For some reason, Scorcese seems to only one that gets my humor. Dark, blunt, not whimsical, just real. All his films capture this foul tongued aspect, and man Wolf carries a lot of it. I'm usually not the DiCaprio band wagon, but I think he should get the Oscar for Actor in a Comedic Role, Jonah Hill supporting. Sickening delight.
  15. Jan 8, 2014
    This movie blew my mind with creative direction and fresh, invigorating acting by the entire cast. Yes, it's vulgar, but if you watch any shows on HBO or Showtime, you've seen the same or worse. Don't miss a chance to see an amazing movie. (My only complaint would be it's length. I still enjoyed at least 95% of it, though.)
  16. Jan 3, 2014
    At about the middle of this film (an hour and a half in), I thought, "I don't think I like this movie." Then it grew and grew on me, even after the credits. I mean, my rating started out at an 8, but it's already grown to a 9 at this point in the review.

The film is superbly crafted. I didn't know until the credits rolled, but the writer of The Wolf of Wall Street is Terrence Winter, a lead writer and executive producer of The Sopranos. Just as The Sopranos says, "Even though the mob is glorified, and maybe it looks like being a mob boss is pretty cushy from the outside, being in the mob sucks, and the people in the mob suck worse," The Wolf of Wall Street says the same about those on wall street who take advantage of people

The movie is full of symbolism, memorable quotes, and emotion. (My rating just jumped to a 10, since I really can't think of anything in the movie that didn't seem intentionally written.) It's also full of disgusting people being despicable (and along with that, a lot of over-the-top nudity, drug usage, and language). This bit is why I believe so many users find the movie repulsive. But in the end, you are supposed to be repulsed (and laugh at the same time, if that makes sense).

If nothing else, The Wolf of Wall Street is unique. Few people can deny that.
  17. Dec 28, 2013
    "The Wolf of Wall Street" is infectiously entertaining. It is probably the funniest movie I have seen all year with witty dialogue, over the top characters, and filled with energy that bleeds off the screen. Between all the fun however, there is also a story about addiction and how it can cause a downward spiral in your life whether it be drugs, money, or power.

Acclaimed director

Acclaimed director Martin Scorsese does a wonderful job keeping this movie at a high at all times. Never once does this movie lose it’s energy or sense of humor much like the drug induced characters. There are a lot of quick cuts and edits to keep the movie feeling as If you are on drugs as well as playing high energy music in some of the more serious situations.

The cast brings their “A” game. The stand out is obviously Leonardo DiCaprio, who pretty much owns and excels any scene he is in. This film really showcases his diverse range.

Overall “The Wolf of Wall Street” is a full on adrenaline ride that never loses momentum. It’s directed with a lot of flair and energy and has an incredibly well written script that gives it depth and a ton of laughs. The cast is fantastic and DiCaprio gives his best and most fun filled performance to date. I really enjoyed this movie and think it’s the funniest movie of the year 4.5/5
  18. Jan 12, 2014
    The Wolf of Wall Street is depraved, disgusting, and ridiculous. I loved it. Knockout performances from Jonah Hill and Leonardo Dicaprio that capture just how truly raucous Jordan Belfort and Co. really were. An excellent end-of-the-year Scorsese movie, and it is leading the pack for my favorite of the year right now.
  19. Dec 25, 2013
    This is a completely new style for Scorsese and DiCaprio, but they make this into their own. The most despicably zanious film of the year shows that it can be extremely entertaining, (even for a super long runtime) really funny, and really crazy. It's a Scorsese film that has a little of everything making this one of the best contributions to cinema in recent memory. Everyone in this movieThis is a completely new style for Scorsese and DiCaprio, but they make this into their own. The most despicably zanious film of the year shows that it can be extremely entertaining, (even for a super long runtime) really funny, and really crazy. It's a Scorsese film that has a little of everything making this one of the best contributions to cinema in recent memory. Everyone in this movie was at their A game, and it's no wonder this movie deserves an A+! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies and also check out my best and worst films of 2013! Expand
  20. Jan 1, 2014
    Very impressive work from Martin Scorsese, probably the best picture of 2013! This movie has full package acting is on highest level, story is unique and intriguing, production is top-notch! Hopefully it will collect it's well deserved awards at oscar's
  21. Jan 14, 2014
    The Wolf of Wall Street serves an intelligent plot and lovable great actors with the screenplay of the year all on one golden plate. It is hilarious, smart, sexy and edgy. Loved every second of this movie.
  22. Dec 25, 2013
    I can talk about a lot,for law,for wall street,for actor.............But,i am not

It's a long Movie,3 hours made me almost miss my dinner ,however, whole time when i sit in cinema will made me like the movie said "i am not fxxking leave"
  23. Dec 30, 2013
    The Wolf of Wall Street is a very interesting film. It has a lot of underlying messages about greed, money, and the American dream. I think the people that are shocked or appalled by this movie are ignorant. They fail to see the truth and sincerity behind this film. They feel this film is glorifying excess. And, although it is not glorifying it, what would it matter if it was? There areThe Wolf of Wall Street is a very interesting film. It has a lot of underlying messages about greed, money, and the American dream. I think the people that are shocked or appalled by this movie are ignorant. They fail to see the truth and sincerity behind this film. They feel this film is glorifying excess. And, although it is not glorifying it, what would it matter if it was? There are people who live like Jordan Belfort. Jordan Belfort is not the first of his kind, nor will he be the last. Regardless of how he is portrayed in film, he is real, and people like him are real. Those who find this film over the top are simply ignoring the true nature of society. Does 12 Years a Slave glorify slavery? Absolutely not. It is doing the opposite: Showing the true horrors of slavery. Did Schindler's List glorify Nazism? No. It shamed it. How is this movie any different? It takes a historical event, and takes a way of living that is truly disgusting, and shines the spotlight on it. It tells it like it is. It is telling us that this is the real American dream, that the life of Jordan Belfort is currently what so many of us to aspire to be. And it shows why that is not Ok, why that is wrong.

As a film, it is a 3 hour rollercoaster ride. As art, it is a picture of our way of life.
  24. Dec 26, 2013
    greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat
  25. Dec 28, 2013
    Leonardo yine muhteşem bir performans göstermiş. Özellikle canlandırdığı karaktere cuk diye oturmuş.
    filmin genel havasına baktığımızda Martin Scorsese imzası hemen görülüyor
  26. Dec 31, 2013
    An epic film; amazing acting, directing, and overall entertainment. While it is raunchy, don't be turned away by this, this is truly a well made and great film
  27. Dec 25, 2013
    Loved it from start to finish. So entertaining that hardly realized it was 3 hours long.

Obviously not for the prude and children (neither was Blue is the Warmest Color). Lot's of drug use and sex with ample amounts of laughs in between the debauchery.

Definitely one of the best movies of 2013.
  28. Dec 28, 2013
    DiCaprio gives his best performance yet in Scorsese's outrageous new film, which ranks among the year's funniest and best. It also includes the year's single funniest scene, toward the end, when DiCaprio's Belfort is forced to crawl out of a country club. You'll know it when you see it.
  29. Dec 29, 2013
    The Wolf of Wall Street is spectacular. Three hours of extremely well developed characters with Leo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill leading the way. Although most should thoroughly enjoy it, some may have a weak stomach when it comes to the near overdose the audience experiences watching and hearing the explicit language, constant use of narcotics and naked women. My reasoning for giving a 9The Wolf of Wall Street is spectacular. Three hours of extremely well developed characters with Leo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill leading the way. Although most should thoroughly enjoy it, some may have a weak stomach when it comes to the near overdose the audience experiences watching and hearing the explicit language, constant use of narcotics and naked women. My reasoning for giving a 9 instead of a 10 is the length, don't get me wrong, none of it is dry but instead of walking out of the theater exclaiming how fantastic the show was, those around me made comments like they were getting off a flight. If you can't sit through three hours at the big screen, wait for the DVD/BluRay and get comfy at home. Expand
  30. Dec 31, 2013
    DiCaprio made The Wolf happen. Put this performance on Fast Blast for the HW community. Give the actor a Triple O at Oscar time for his brilliant output.
  31. Jan 13, 2014
    An amazing film with an equally amazing performance by Leo DiCaprio. The intense relationship between Mr. DiCaprio and Jonah Hill reminded me of Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci in Raging Bull. Its the very best by all involved. I find the criticism of this film because it degrades women, glorifies money, and promotes drug use down right silly. Its a great movie about men who degradeAn amazing film with an equally amazing performance by Leo DiCaprio. The intense relationship between Mr. DiCaprio and Jonah Hill reminded me of Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci in Raging Bull. Its the very best by all involved. I find the criticism of this film because it degrades women, glorifies money, and promotes drug use down right silly. Its a great movie about men who degrade women, glorify money and use drugs. Expand
  32. Dec 27, 2013
    Scorsese and DiCaprio are back in the craziest and best movie of the year!!! I really loved it because it was so honest and it had no limits and that's he way this film should be. I think DiCaprio gives his best performance in this film and that means a lot because I think he is one of the best actors of this century. Jonah Hill is fantastic and Margot Robbie isn't just good looks butScorsese and DiCaprio are back in the craziest and best movie of the year!!! I really loved it because it was so honest and it had no limits and that's he way this film should be. I think DiCaprio gives his best performance in this film and that means a lot because I think he is one of the best actors of this century. Jonah Hill is fantastic and Margot Robbie isn't just good looks but she's a good actress too and I absolutely loved Matthew Mcconaughey even if he's in the film for just 10 minutes. The writing is phenomenal and I don't even need to talk about the directing because...come on...it's Martin Scorese, he's a master of filmaking. If some people didn't like this film cause of all the debauchery, I get it, it's not for everyone it's completely fine but for me The Wolf of Wall Street is the best film of the year!!! Expand
  33. Dec 30, 2013
    Although I don't wish to be a prisoner of the moment, I must acknowledge how entertaining this is as a film.
    There is never a dull moment, and Leo steals the show with his performance. The supporting cast is also fantastic, and the movie never ceases to please. The moments feel genuine and the drugs are as real as can be. This satire on the wealthy and their view of the poor may be misunderstood as glorifying drugs and sex. That can be seen in the negative reviews that simply don't get it.
  34. Jan 3, 2014
    The Wolf of Wall Street is a 3 hour adrenaline rush that is moving at the same pace as it's drug-addicted characters. It is a film about the darker side of the stock market, and people need to realize that it is not glorifying the amazingly true story of Jordan Belfort. The film does contain a strong amount of humor and is very entertaining to watch, but it all builds up to Belfort'sThe Wolf of Wall Street is a 3 hour adrenaline rush that is moving at the same pace as it's drug-addicted characters. It is a film about the darker side of the stock market, and people need to realize that it is not glorifying the amazingly true story of Jordan Belfort. The film does contain a strong amount of humor and is very entertaining to watch, but it all builds up to Belfort's downfall and he sure falls hard. Leo does gives his best performance yet and makes the viewer laugh, sigh, and even squirm as some parts of the film are extremely explicit and uncomfortable. Overall though, this film is truly a masterpiece in every way and deserves universal praise. It is being looked down upon because people are finally realizing that the wealthy in this country don't always get their wealth by the best means and many people are having a hard time accepting it. Scorsese does a wonderful job displaying Belfort's story and opening the public's eyes to the "wolves" of wall street. Expand
  35. Dec 29, 2013
    Three hours of sex, drugs, and swearing. Every five or ten minutes, there will be a sex scene, anything from DiCaprio his girlfriend to an orgy on an airplane. Everyone is constantly taking pills, snorting cocaine, and swearing is about 50% of the entire script. It's an odd film taking you completely by surprise, and it's a touchy film, but I honestly think nothing was out of place.Three hours of sex, drugs, and swearing. Every five or ten minutes, there will be a sex scene, anything from DiCaprio his girlfriend to an orgy on an airplane. Everyone is constantly taking pills, snorting cocaine, and swearing is about 50% of the entire script. It's an odd film taking you completely by surprise, and it's a touchy film, but I honestly think nothing was out of place.

If you don't like any of the things listed above, you won't like this film. But, assuming you can watch it, it's a great film. It has everything you need. Humour, drama, acting, music, etc.

The performances are great. DiCaprio, especially, nails his role as a Wall Street wannabe, sleezy and talented. Falls under drugs, sex, and pushes his way to fortune through illegal activities. Everyone else is fantastic no one ever sticks out as 'bad'.

The music is fantastic, never out-of-place and always complimenting the scene going on. Humour? I couldn't stop laughing at times. The drugged behavior or the witty (offensive, some might call it) office abuse makes this comedy one of, if not the best comedies of the year.

Overall, it's an amazing movie. It does drag just a little too long; 2.5 hours would've been enough, but honestly, 3 hours isn't bad in a crazy movie like this. Go see it if you have the chance!
  36. Jan 29, 2014
    Martin Scorsese returns to showing us a debauched way of life which seems to be his favourite subject. There's plenty of parties, drugs, liquor and sex. Scorsese is the master of depicting the passage of time with imagery and voice-over.

The acting was splendid. DiCaprio nails the role of a free of concern stockbroker with more money than he can spend. Jonah Hill does a nice job as a supporting character. The remaining supporting cast, including Matthew McConaughey did wonderful jobs and true justice to their roles.

The message here is the same one Scorsese has already dealt with in Goodfellas. Then he followed a bunch of gangsters around as they rose and fell while they reaped what they sow. This time the main characters are a party loving horde of stockbrokers who swindle rich people out of their millions without anything weighing down on their conscience.

The subject matter was so intriguing, and Scorsese had so much to tell that I thought that the length was justified. When a movie does not drag for a moment despite going on for three hours, you have to admit that you were glad that it was this long. I'm sure it will be watched and re-watched by countless zealous fans of Scorsese for decades to come.

The time depicted is the 1980s. After a stock market crash, Jordan Belfort finds himself out of work. He builds from the scratch, hiring promising but uneducated good-for-nothings who make millions along with him. The trade is so lucrative it is unbelievable. But of course when you attract this much attention, there are bound to be people who would look into your life and try to find your weaknesses, which in this case were hunts for evidence which might prove that the wealth that Belfort has accumulated was acquired by illegal means. So ensues a game of wits where the FBI and the stockbrokers try to come out on top.

The tone is always light and humorous. Nigh a scene passes without being followed by a comical one cracking you up. Matthew McConaughey is the first one to show us what the movie would be like. That scene at the restaurant where he mentors Jordan on how to live his life was one of the best scenes. But the movie is replete with such memorable scenes. Both Jonah Hill and DiCaprio delivered such strong performances and were so funny that I couldn't help but applaud them for their efforts. I think they both deserve the nominations they have received at the Oscars.

There are more scenes of nudity and sex than I could count, but they were used with finesse. They never seemed lewd, although that word was passed around a lot. Everyone was fond of snorting cocaine. The level of partying displayed left me envious, which I think was the whole point. It had a purpose, which was to make us learn a lesson when the fates of these characters eventually catch up with them.

The first hour and a half was about nothing except for care-free sex, earning loads of money and taking in various drugs. I trusted Scorsese to change gears midway and he did exactly that. The movie became somewhat sober but still did not change the mood so much as I've seen in other movies which became atrocious the minute they became serious.

The characters clearly enjoyed their lives to the fullest. And when someone is having fun, you can't help but root for them when the bad guys (which might be the good ones in real life) seek to bring them down to their own level. It did feel like Scorsese was celebrating debauchery. But I think the ending was done pretty well and succeeded to show us what you get when you wrong someone.

I feel like Scorsese has created a great piece which will be admired in the coming years if not now. But yet I think the film lacked the greatness he achieved with his earlier films like Goodfellas and The Departed. But I might be wrong. Who knows how I'll feel about it if I watched it a couple of times more. It did feel like a film that wanted to achieve more hence the longer running time, and I could not put my finger on anything it messed up, so I might be feeling differently about it if I was asked in a few years' time. But this is Scorsese we're talking about. Even if he makes a film that people will jump to criticize, it's only because we have become accustomed to expect nothing less than greatness from him.
  37. Dec 28, 2013
    Scorsese has made a film that will make people cringe, laugh, and maybe even a little bit upset because of it’s explicit content. That being said, The Wolf of Wall Street is the most accessible three hour film to date. It is massively hilarious, and is a bold representation of a man on a twisted, ecstasy like odyssey to corporate greed and addiction.
  38. Jan 8, 2014
    From the very start of the movie you are put right into what it means to be a New York stock broker. This movie maybe be a tad over the top, but it needed because of the lavish and high intensity lifestlye these men live. Leo plays probably his best role I have seen him play. That is saying alot because I have never seen him play better than Blood Diamond. I would definitely buy this andFrom the very start of the movie you are put right into what it means to be a New York stock broker. This movie maybe be a tad over the top, but it needed because of the lavish and high intensity lifestlye these men live. Leo plays probably his best role I have seen him play. That is saying alot because I have never seen him play better than Blood Diamond. I would definitely buy this and see again when it comes out on Blu-Ray and probably buy it. The best scene is when jonah hill and leo share the 700 qualede so funny. Expand
  39. Jan 4, 2014
    This movie takes mannny turns.

It'll be one of the most bizarre, breath taking, comical you'll see this year. It isn't my favorite movie of all time but comparing to what I've seen in the pass year, this movie is LEAPS head of the rest of the films out there. Leonardo just doesnt seem to do a bad movie, the guy has passionate and it is scene out there on the big screen. There
    This movie takes mannny turns.

It'll be one of the most bizarre, breath taking, comical you'll see this year.

There were a few scences where I just could not wrapped my head around. A few strange ones that really wasn't necessary a dance sing off for 10 minutes that made you think it was an imagine of imagination Plus the two to three long speeches down through out the movie.

It dragged.

That being said the good out weighs the bad by miles. It's long, so get ready and hold on, this is one you'll want to see right away, don't hesitate.

Verdict This movie's worse is still better than any other movies best. 9.2 10
  40. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very funny movie where again you root for the bad guy. Loved the vile behavior and how it depicted people with money as in the gutter degenerates. Showed the dangers of excess and how that lifestyle is hard on loving relationships. Expand
  41. Dec 28, 2013
    This movie is incredibly good. It reminds me of the Scorsese of the 70-75. Di Caprio plays Jordan Belfort in a perfect way, always acting with craziness or lucidity. There are three phases in this Scorse movie: success, vengeance and redemption.
    It is a good thing that for once we have quality content in a three hours movie. It is totally worth seeing it in cinemas.
  42. Jan 25, 2014
    By far one of the best movies of the year. Martin Scorsese shows us that his movie charm is far from over. With like-able characters, fantastic direction, great writing and some of Leonardo Dicaprio's best acting since he began his career. Definitely a must see film of 2013 and some of Scorsese's best work.
  43. Jan 22, 2014
    3 Hours long and still feels shorter than American Hustle.

3 Hours long and still feels shorter than American Hustle.

Seriously though, this may be the best paced film of 2013, but that isn't even its strongest point - Martin Scorsese has made a career out of protagonists who by all rational assessment should be antagonists. Jordan Belfort is a despicable, sad, awful human being, but why does he hold our attention for so long? This piece works so well because it uses farce to outline a character who lives so far on the edge he constantly runs the risk of dropping off it.

Let's talk for a second about the trope of the "Unreliable Narrator". Jordan Belfort is as unreliable as they come - he's a fast talking, swindling, addictive loser who finds something he's good at and makes the world reward him for it. His perspective, and Leonardo DiCaprio's fearless performance, make such a piece of human scum worth watching for so long, because we start to see what is wrong with the "American Dream".

The American Dream, held up as a lofty ideal by tales long past, reaches it's most farcically perverse in Martin Scorsese's Wolf of Wall Street. Every excess in this film, including Belfort's lack of comeuppance for his misdeeds, serves to highlight what is wrong with the economic world of America. And Scorsese knows there is entertainment value here too, and he exploits that so the film retains a manic, hilarious pace throughout, never loosing steam. This type of black comedy is much more rewarding than 90% of all comedies produced today because it finds the ludicrous in what is wrong with the country, so we can mock the people who truly deserve to be knocked off their high horses - the morally bankrupt brokers who think they are Rock Stars. Here's lookin' at you, Mr. Belfort.
  44. Jan 15, 2014
    I'm quite frankly amazed at how many people disregard the thrill of this movie, simply because of its content. It's not rated R for Rockabyebaby, idiots.

Leo may have saved his best performance for this controversial giant of a movie. We follow his journey through wall streets ranks, from poor lower-level stockbroker to having sex with a model on a bed of money, and every single second of it is entertaining. Rarely does an audience get the treat of watching a movie is this life-like, all the way from it's plotting and business to romance and comedy. Brilliant.
  45. Jan 23, 2014
    Scorsese does it again. His films always manage to amaze me, and always in its own unique way. The Wolf of Wall street was just astonishing. Also, if you're trying to adapt a book into a movie, just take note of this film, so props to Terrence Winter. What made this film so incredible, though, was the performance by DiCaprio. If he doesn't win the Oscar for this film, then something'sScorsese does it again. His films always manage to amaze me, and always in its own unique way. The Wolf of Wall street was just astonishing. Also, if you're trying to adapt a book into a movie, just take note of this film, so props to Terrence Winter. What made this film so incredible, though, was the performance by DiCaprio. If he doesn't win the Oscar for this film, then something's wrong. He played the part beautifully, from Belfort's rise, to his fall. The only reason this film won't win best picture is because of how inappropriate it can be sometimes. But, that being, this film is for everybody. The person who wants to see a really good movie, or someone who wants to be entertained. This film's got both, and Scorsese always manages to do so. This film is highly recommended, and I'll say it again. If DiCaprio doesn't win, then there's a huge problem. Expand
  46. Dec 30, 2013
    One of Di Caprio's best since catch me if you can. The drugs, sex, and money must be too much reality for the average American... Di Caprio is persuasive as ever with a great story that will have you gripping your seat and truly laughing your head off. If you're weak hearted and can't face reality, chances are you won't be giving this movie a thumbs up. A great tale of inspiration andOne of Di Caprio's best since catch me if you can. The drugs, sex, and money must be too much reality for the average American... Di Caprio is persuasive as ever with a great story that will have you gripping your seat and truly laughing your head off. If you're weak hearted and can't face reality, chances are you won't be giving this movie a thumbs up. A great tale of inspiration and courage in my opinion. Expand
  47. Dec 30, 2013
    LOVED this! DiCaprio absolutely gives the performance of a lifetime! The movie has some scenes that are so hilarious your sides will be hurting. It's got a dark side, too one that will have you leaving the theatre thinking.
  48. Jan 22, 2014
    This is the most entertaining, funny and interesting movie I have seen in the last decade. Exactly what a movie should. Great acting. Beautiful shots and great locations. Terrific entertainment!
    Movie of the year no doubt.
  49. Jan 5, 2014
    This is a life about one broker that has stolen from others to fill his own fortune. With that in mind this is no way any type of documentary or fact on what every broker is like on Wall Street. This story is about one individual that cheated others to get on top and ran a unprofessional office that was out of control. Some situations was troubling, while some was just comical. WithoutThis is a life about one broker that has stolen from others to fill his own fortune. With that in mind this is no way any type of documentary or fact on what every broker is like on Wall Street. This story is about one individual that cheated others to get on top and ran a unprofessional office that was out of control. Some situations was troubling, while some was just comical. Without laying out spoilers, this is not a film you will exit the theaters with some form of a connection to the protagonist. This is a rise-and-fall scenario of a rags to riches story.

Now I did see two families leave half-way into the film and I've read/heard from others mentioning this film should be rated X, that there's so much F-bombs and sex acts. My response I tell them and anyone:

1. What makes you think this is a film to bring the family to? Just because it was released during the Xmas holiday does not mean you can bring the kids and the grandparents. The film is rated R for a reason. As a parent, you should've used a bit more common sense and at least research the film on parent review sites before taking the family.

2. If you've seen Martin Scorsese's previous films, you know what you are getting yourself into. Goodfellas says the f-bomb 300 times. This film will say it at least 506 times. If you can't handle that amount of language in films like Goodfellas, then what makes you think you can watch this film and enjoy it?

3. There is a few short sex scenes, but the detail is what you experience in any rated R film these days. It's no way close to full detail like an actual porn film and anyone saying that is just exaggerating. Some of the scenes did drag a bit, but like any Scorsese film there's a reason for it and it's a opening hook that leads to a further altercation with the characters. The protagonist did lived a wild life!

Did I enjoy the film? Well... yes I did! In a sense, this film shows anyone that when you have the ambition to move up in life from nothing, you can be whatever you want to be. But with that in mind, you can loose everything if you loose moral values and live a life that progresses to go out of control (stealing, drugs, etc). If you have an open-mind and don't mind Scorsese's work and way of directing, then you'll enjoy the film.

If you hate language, drugs, and typical rated R sexual situations/nudity, then you're better off watching another film.
  50. Jan 13, 2014
    Excellent movie overall. I felt if they had cut down on the time a bit,it would have been a phenomenon. That is not a major fault,however,as Leo's acting keeps you enthralled. The movie never loosens up and it's manic pace keeps you glued to the screen. One of the most amusing movies around.
  51. Jan 19, 2014
    An outrageous and crude film that is full of drug use and filthy language, by far one of the best films that I have seen in the last year. It has the power to make you laugh the one minute and laugh the next. with Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill at their best with a great supporting cast.
  52. Jan 20, 2014
    Absolutley loved this film, amazing acting done by the whole cast! Kept me laughing the whole way through, I'd recommend this film as a must see! I saw it on its release date on friday, and will be going to see it again on wednesday :) xo
  53. Jan 23, 2014
    How many times you watch Wolf of Wall Street a week? 3 maybe 4 times. You wanna bump those numbers up those are rookie numbers in this racket. Me myself I watch it at least twice a day. Once in the morning after I workout and once right after lunch. I want to. That's not why I do it. I do it 'cause I need to. Think about it. You got Jack Ryan all week long. Very acidic over-the-shoulderHow many times you watch Wolf of Wall Street a week? 3 maybe 4 times. You wanna bump those numbers up those are rookie numbers in this racket. Me myself I watch it at least twice a day. Once in the morning after I workout and once right after lunch. I want to. That's not why I do it. I do it 'cause I need to. Think about it. You got Jack Ryan all week long. Very acidic over-the-shoulder mustard, it can kinda wink some people out. You gotta keep the blood flowing, keep the rhythm below the belt. Expand
  54. Jan 23, 2014
    A division in the office. One person walked out. Another loved it. I had to see it. And, wow. Yes, it's misogynistic. Yes, there are lots of drugs. Oh, and yes, there's lots of swearing. But diCaprio delivers a fantastic, high energy performance, and there's never a dull moment. What makes it a truly great movie, however, is the ending. As the credits roll we get the message ... the beatA division in the office. One person walked out. Another loved it. I had to see it. And, wow. Yes, it's misogynistic. Yes, there are lots of drugs. Oh, and yes, there's lots of swearing. But diCaprio delivers a fantastic, high energy performance, and there's never a dull moment. What makes it a truly great movie, however, is the ending. As the credits roll we get the message ... the beat goes on ... the amoral greedies are still in Wall Street! Expand
  55. Jan 26, 2014
    Now this is what you would call a true 3 hours attention magnet for people in reality with this world and anyone saying otherwise, they must be stuck up conservatives with their roots so deep into the ground, there's no way they'll ever see the sun. YES, the whole movie is about bad boys doing bad things! Its so wrong in so many ways, but so brutally true and openly shows what capitalismNow this is what you would call a true 3 hours attention magnet for people in reality with this world and anyone saying otherwise, they must be stuck up conservatives with their roots so deep into the ground, there's no way they'll ever see the sun. YES, the whole movie is about bad boys doing bad things! Its so wrong in so many ways, but so brutally true and openly shows what capitalism breeds - greed. You can take movie whichever way you like, but I believe this is the true face of money. 3 hours well spent. Expand
  56. Jan 2, 2014
    Fantastic movie. I didn't know that the awesome duo of Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio could pull off a comedy, but apparently they can; and it's hilarious.

It's one of the reasons why Scorsese is such a legend. To be at his age and still create movies, not to mention working in a genre almost entirely new to him, is just amazing. Leo gives, in my opinion, the best performance

Leo gives, in my opinion, the best performance of his already storied career. I'm definitely remembering this one for a long time.

Jonah Hill is also funny as hell. And so is the rest of the supporting cast. The plot and script are both riveting.

Perhaps my only problem with the film is the ending. It felt kinda sudden. One second Leo is talking to an audience, and the next it's the credits.

But other than that, it's a Must See. Not even it's long duration (3 hours), was a problem to me. The film wasn't boring in any way. It's a terrific depiction of Jordan Belfort, his rise and fall, and the outrageous lifestyle that he and his friends lived in the 1990s.
  57. Mar 2, 2014
    The Wolf of Wall Street is a kinetic, super fun biopick from DeCaprio and Scorsese. The scenes of excess in the movie are so over the top that they make you laugh your ass off. Likewise, the script is fast, witty and very, very funny. The only downside to this movie is that it's slightly over-length. But this is still storming entertainment whichever way you slice it!
  58. Mar 24, 2014
    Money. Sex. Drugs. Power. That's The Wolf of Wall Street in a nutshell. Don't be mistaken though that it's a bad thing because it's not. It's arguably Martin Scorcese's best film in quite some time. It's an outrageously awesome film from start to finish and believe me that's a long running time. The movie itself is based on the true story of Jordan Belfort and follows his rise from formingMoney. Sex. Drugs. Power. That's The Wolf of Wall Street in a nutshell. Don't be mistaken though that it's a bad thing because it's not. It's arguably Martin Scorcese's best film in quite some time. It's an outrageously awesome film from start to finish and believe me that's a long running time. The movie itself is based on the true story of Jordan Belfort and follows his rise from forming his own company to becoming a wealthy stockbrocker living the high life to his fall due to his involvment in crime, corruption and the federal government. Leonardo DiCaprio is at his best. He delivers a truly majestic performance in his depiction as Jordan Belfort, he's phenominal. You genuinely have to wonder what the man has to do for an Oscar because based on this he is more than worthy of one! Jonah Hill excels as Donnie Azoff. For a man who is a stalwart in comedy his turn here is a masterstroke. He's very convincing and his screentime with Leo is not only memorable but strikes absolute gold! They are a dynamite duo. Margot Robbie has her big screen debut and believe me it's one you won't forget. She's not only beautiful, and believe me that's an understatement, but she delivers a solid performance. There's also noteable performances from Jon Bernthal, Jean Dujardin and Joanna Lumley to mention a few but perhaps most significantly is the role that Matthew McConaughey has. It's small but sensational. He'll have you beating your chest and humming along. Scorcese is on top form. His direction has always been brilliant but this is crudely classic! An absolute must see movie. An outrageous yet exceptionally class film. Expand
  59. Jan 17, 2014
    Leonardo DiCaprio outshines everyone in The Wolf of Wall Street. Watching the movie, I felt like the whole movie was only made for him.
    Entertaining and funny movie.
  60. Mar 31, 2014
    This was a fantastic movie all around. The acting was the best I had seen in a really long time. I very much enjoyed the story and was laughing a lot and very engaged. Now I'm a guy.... but honestly there was simply too much sex in this movie. A scene or two is OK but this movie went a little over the top at times and personally I don't think it added that much. Otherwise I thought it was awesome.
  61. Mar 6, 2014
    one of the best movie i have ever seen. This story is perfect for making a movie about and they aced it. also i love that it was 3 hours long im so sick of these **** movies cramming to much in to and hour and a half this movie uses the 3 hour brilliantly some of the best acting I've seen.
  62. Jan 18, 2014
    The Wolf of Wall Street is undoubtedly one of the best pictures of the year. I am confused as to why people think the film glorifies and condones Jordan Belfort's actions. Don't people realize there is a difference between portraying something and condoning something? I guess we need sparknotes for movies now. The Wolf of Wall Street is clearly a satire, meant to expose the very culture weThe Wolf of Wall Street is undoubtedly one of the best pictures of the year. I am confused as to why people think the film glorifies and condones Jordan Belfort's actions. Don't people realize there is a difference between portraying something and condoning something? I guess we need sparknotes for movies now. The Wolf of Wall Street is clearly a satire, meant to expose the very culture we live in. That culture is one that yearns to be rich and live excessively. Throughout the film you see how DiCaprio's character is hooked on the excessive lifestyle and can't leave it behind, even when it is necessary for him to avoid prison. Also, we laugh at the film because we know it is ridiculous and absurd behavior and boy did I laugh.

The Wolf of Wall Street, was in my opinion, the funniest movie of the year. DiCaprio, Hill, and the rest of the supporting cast, including Rob Reiner, were fantastic and hilarious. Terrence Winter did a great job of adapting Jordan Belfort's memoir into a cautionary tale about greed and excess. Lastly, Martin Scorsese delivers his best directorial performance in years. I'm not sure yet, if I like The Wolf of Wall Street more than Gangs of New York or The Departed, but it's easily Scorsese's best directorial effort since Goodfellas. You can feel the energy of the film, which is exhilarating and that no doubt is due to Scorsese.

My only complaint about the movie is that the final hour was not as good as the first two. The first two hours were the best I've spent at a movie in years and that is not an exaggeration. The final hour is good, but not excellent like the first two. The problem resides with the screenplay and story, which I feel jumps a little too much towards the end, causing the film to be a little hard to follow at times. The final shot of the film, however, is brilliant and clearly indicates the point of the film, that Jordan Belfort's life is something we want and have to allowed to happen. Maybe after repeated viewings I will see the final hour differently, but it certainly did not detract from my enjoyment o the film.
    So my advice, to those of you that have not seen the movie, is to ignore those that say the film is a glorification of immoral behavior because their just simply wrong. The film is CLEARLY a satire, so sit back, enjoy the film, and most importantly, laugh, your supposed to because it indicates you know it's absurd behavior.
  63. Jan 2, 2014
    Haters gunna hate......................................................................................................................................
  64. Jan 17, 2014
    I iwsh I could give this movie higher than a 10, that is how good I thought it was. I know some people were upset at the 3 hours but I thought it was packed with action at every turn. Another amazing part about this movie is how wildely accurate it is. There is not much that did not happen. All of the main story lines from both books have made the movie with only some minor details beingI iwsh I could give this movie higher than a 10, that is how good I thought it was. I know some people were upset at the 3 hours but I thought it was packed with action at every turn. Another amazing part about this movie is how wildely accurate it is. There is not much that did not happen. All of the main story lines from both books have made the movie with only some minor details being changed.

I think if this movie was fiction it would still be a 9, but you would be thinking there is no way any of this could happen in real life.
    DiCaprio gives one of the greatest performances of his life in this movie!

The only thing I dislike is the guy who it is about. He is just a little weasel and he looks scummy. I am glad he lost it all, although it seems as if he is making money now and does not seem to be repaying his debts.
  65. Feb 16, 2014
    As charmingly flippant and despicably hilarious as its eponymous protagonist, "The Wolf Of Wall Street" is a freakishly entertaining filmic experience, marking Scorsese's unshakably firm grasp on brilliant filmmaking.
  66. Jan 19, 2014
    Martin Scorsese' adaptation of the book 'The Wolf of Wall Street' is full of profanity, sex, nudity and unlikeable characters in sleazy situations. However, despite this the film is constantly engaging and often very funny. One just has to get past the initial misgivings that the questionable content throws out there and accept it for the movie it is. An intelligent screenplay allowsMartin Scorsese' adaptation of the book 'The Wolf of Wall Street' is full of profanity, sex, nudity and unlikeable characters in sleazy situations. However, despite this the film is constantly engaging and often very funny. One just has to get past the initial misgivings that the questionable content throws out there and accept it for the movie it is. An intelligent screenplay allows Scorsese to put his indelible stamp on the material. Some scenes are even reminiscent of 'Goodfellas' and, although the film clocks in at an audacious 180 minutes, the combination of Scorsese's inventive directorial style and Thelma Schoonmaker's slick editing ensure that the film remains compelling to the end.
    Key to the success of the film is a fantastic showcase of a performance from Leonardo Di Caprio who, at times, appears to be thoroughly enjoying himself and relishing the comedic antics required of him. His Oscar nomination is thoroughly deserved. Jonah Hill is ok but he is not in the same league. His nomination seems overly generous.
    Although not a film for everyone, 'The Wolf of Wall Street' rewards an open mind. It is a film that would stand up well to repeat viewings after the plethora of profanity and sexual situations have been assimilated and accepted within their perfectly appropriate context. Stockbrokers, who may wither under the spotlight, may be amongst those wishing to pass.
  67. Apr 1, 2014
    This new Martin Scorsese's movie made me go speechless, I was absolutely stunned. This was not some random person's life story, it was based on the former stockbroker Jordan Belfort which mostly speaks about the frauds he committed. This movie was presented in a dark comedy like it's supposed to be, mainly because of three stuffs it deals, (1) drugs, (2) sex and (3) money.

Drugs: It was

Drugs: It was not the first time a Hollywood movie to represent this issue in raw act, but depends on whose movie it was. When filmmakers choose subjects like this they should ready to roll on any challenge that comes ahead so I believe Martin Scorsese did an exceptional job here to depict the truth as it should be.

Sex: It was very strong and kind of shocked to see in a Martin Scorsese movie. Like I said in earlier paragraph no matter what it is the director excelled in this department as well to extract the possible reality.

Money: This is a common theme in world cinema so no surprise the director mastered in this field as well without letting anything behind. But previous two themes from above two paragraphs braced this theme very comfortable blend and reached the crest of the tensed end part of the story.

Does it require to brief about Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill's contribution. Well, both of them were outstanding in their respective roles. And great supports from second stream actors and cameo appearances from various top profiles. The successful collaboration between Scorsese and DiCaprio continues to the next level. Hope this pair gives an another remarkable product in near future. Until then goodbye from me, I mean meet you in my next review and thank you for reading this. Cheers.
  68. Jan 6, 2014
    Watching the "movie" I can get a feeling of why so many people are bad mouthing this film, but personally, I felt that Wolf of Wall Street is one of Scorsese's best. The entire cast is great. Leonardo and Jonah are perfect together. It's a long film, but great from start to finish.
  69. Mar 16, 2014
    This was just a brilliant film from start to beginning. Can't believe this film didn't take home every Oscar this year. Just pure excellent acting from Leonardo Di Caprio, Jonah Hill and Rob Reiner who really excels in his role as the father of Jordan Belfort. He is just pure comedy gold!
  70. Jan 11, 2014
    Scorsese's best film since Goodfellas, The Wolf of Wall Street is endlessly entertaining,engrossing and just downright hilarious. Following the rise and fall of a wealthy Wall Street banker, we get to see the type of life the film's main character lived. This is DiCaprio's best role thus far, and he eats up every single scene he is in. The supporting cast is great, the direction is great,Scorsese's best film since Goodfellas, The Wolf of Wall Street is endlessly entertaining,engrossing and just downright hilarious. Following the rise and fall of a wealthy Wall Street banker, we get to see the type of life the film's main character lived. This is DiCaprio's best role thus far, and he eats up every single scene he is in. The supporting cast is great, the direction is great, and the script is fantastic. This movie is rather divisive due to it's subject matter. It is a very vulgar movie filled with sex,drugs and deplorable behavior. I did not have a problem with this as Scorsese doesn't glorify what you see on screen. You see the benefits and negatives of this type of lifestyle. This film's 3-hour runtime is sure to scare away many viewers,but rest assured:The movie flies like a breeze. The 3 hours fly by due to how much fun the movie is. Is it perfect? No. But it is one of the best movies of 2013, and quite possibly by favorite.Excellent film. Expand
  71. Jan 15, 2014
    enjoyable time…
    I read some of the reviews below about exploiting our country..blah blah blah.

Good funny movie.

Lots of drugs, sex, hookers, etc.
    Just a heads up..
    Been a while since I've seen that much nudity too!
    but who cares!
  72. Feb 3, 2014
    史上最疯狂电影,典型的斯科塞斯风,黑色幽默+社会讽刺+真实还原,迪卡普里奥贡献了他生涯的最佳表演,同时乔纳希尔和马修麦康纳表演惊艳!3小时行云流水超级流畅,故事精彩,配乐超赞,剪辑风格超赞,实打实的年度最佳影片。
  73. Apr 6, 2014
    I was absolutely blown away by this film. Scorsese just executed it perfectly. I believe this is without a doubt DiCaprio's best film and one of Jonah Hill's best films. It's engaging to all audiences and it keeps you hooked for all 3 hours of it's running time. You know Belfort is a sleezeball, but you find yourself cheering for him. This can only be done by DiCaprio perfectly capturingI was absolutely blown away by this film. Scorsese just executed it perfectly. I believe this is without a doubt DiCaprio's best film and one of Jonah Hill's best films. It's engaging to all audiences and it keeps you hooked for all 3 hours of it's running time. You know Belfort is a sleezeball, but you find yourself cheering for him. This can only be done by DiCaprio perfectly capturing Belfort's intended charisma. Expand
  74. Jan 18, 2014
    2013 has been the year of outlandish and extravagant and purely brilliant performances. Leonardo Di Caprio, a favorite of mine, took everything he has learned from his blonde innocent locks in Titanic to his Lucretius and neck- wringing performance in Django Unchained. But here, every murmur, every breath is pure brilliance. It is definitely Martin and Leo's best work together yet. Jonah2013 has been the year of outlandish and extravagant and purely brilliant performances. Leonardo Di Caprio, a favorite of mine, took everything he has learned from his blonde innocent locks in Titanic to his Lucretius and neck- wringing performance in Django Unchained. But here, every murmur, every breath is pure brilliance. It is definitely Martin and Leo's best work together yet. Jonah Hill also grants me with joy, but does not surprise me. Because I know, that he is one of the best actors to ever come from his stereotypical down-faults. He makes this character so real, so fresh, so high. The only thing that keeps this film from a perfect 10 score, is it's potential, but stays on a pretty opaque path throughout. The character growth of Jordan and his associates are grand, in the beginning, but never has a real second growth after they reach their American Psycho aficionado stage. I digress, 9/10. Excellent. Expand
  75. Jan 8, 2014
    This movie was down right incredible as far as I am concerned. The bad reviews, in my opinion, stem from a lack of understanding of the core intent of the film and an oversensitivity to the various topics touched in the throughout. The definition of satire is "the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the contextThis movie was down right incredible as far as I am concerned. The bad reviews, in my opinion, stem from a lack of understanding of the core intent of the film and an oversensitivity to the various topics touched in the throughout. The definition of satire is "the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues" (straight off google). How can you claim that this film doesn't fit that definition? Yes, it's a controversial issue, its hard not to offend people (all satires offend at least some people), but to say that its promoting drug use, greed, sexual fantasies, misogyny, etc. is ridiculous and just suggests a superficial interpretation of the film (which never bodes well for a satirical piece). Anyway, now that I'm done ranting, I thought DiCaprio and Jonah Hill were incredible, I thought the dialog was hilarious, and there are few satires that I genuinely feel are this well executed. My one gripe is that the last 30 minutes dragged on a little slowly, but I still felt like those moments were necessary to come to a proper conclusion. So to those of you who have yet to see it, please do not interpret everything so literally, everything is over-the-top for a reason. I hope you enjoy this work of art as much as I did. Expand
  76. Oct 16, 2014
    this is just fantasic start to finish I didnt know what was going to happen its a shocker its fantasiclly well put to gether ignore the trolls no matter how good something is there will never be a perfect 10 rating because of the jealous trolls its best film of 2014
  77. Mar 26, 2014
    This is one of the best movies I've ever seen and believe me when I say this, the people giving this movie bad reviews really don't know what they're talking about, probably because they went into this movie expecting something far different from what it is, and there is nothing more annoying than people going into a movie expecting to get something out of it that it's not meant to giveThis is one of the best movies I've ever seen and believe me when I say this, the people giving this movie bad reviews really don't know what they're talking about, probably because they went into this movie expecting something far different from what it is, and there is nothing more annoying than people going into a movie expecting to get something out of it that it's not meant to give them and then complaining that it didn't cater to them specifically.
    Wolf of Wall Street has what will probably be the best acting that we will ever see out of Leonardo DiCaprio, and has a very well cast group of supporting actors. The plot of this movie doesn't function like a normal plot, it's much longer, and is more of a telling of Jordan Belfort's life than anything else. The characters aren't supposed to be connectable, that's not really the point, they're supposed to be trash. There are no heroes in this movie.
    This movie isn't for everybody, it might be a little "crude" for some people if your only reaction to a swear in dialog is a gasp and grasping of the chest, but if you have the sense to come into this movie with the right mindset, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  78. Jan 18, 2014
    The Wolf of Wall Street es una película que sube los cambios a otro nivel y poco es decir que se pasó de la ralla, pero esta brillante película que conecta un guión ficticio con la historia real de Jordan Belfort sabe justificarlo de la manera más cruda posible para brindar una versión oscura y muy divertida de los límites y las personas que no los conocen, y demuestra que "más nunca esThe Wolf of Wall Street es una película que sube los cambios a otro nivel y poco es decir que se pasó de la ralla, pero esta brillante película que conecta un guión ficticio con la historia real de Jordan Belfort sabe justificarlo de la manera más cruda posible para brindar una versión oscura y muy divertida de los límites y las personas que no los conocen, y demuestra que "más nunca es suficiente". Leonardo DiCaprio está en el rol de su carrera, su actuación es formidable y bien lograda; el director Martin Scorsese brillante como siempre y la película (que les puedo decir), LA MEJOR DEL AÑO, esta es una de esas películas que puede hacer añicos cualquiera de las espectativas y las suposiciones que te puedas cuestionar a ti mismo antes de ver una película. INSISTO: LA MEJOR PELÍCULA DEL AÑO 2013. Expand
  79. May 24, 2014
    The best movie of 2013 hands down. This movie gets your blood pumping. The sheer depravity makes the movie for me. The fact that this happened in real life boggles me. Martin Scorsese delivers another masterpiece. Performances are great all around, especially Leonardo's. This movie had me laughing from start to finish and had me intrigued. I would recommend not watching this with yourThe best movie of 2013 hands down. This movie gets your blood pumping. The sheer depravity makes the movie for me. The fact that this happened in real life boggles me. Martin Scorsese delivers another masterpiece. Performances are great all around, especially Leonardo's. This movie had me laughing from start to finish and had me intrigued. I would recommend not watching this with your parents as it may get awkward. Overall I highly recommend you go out and watch this movie. Expand
  80. Feb 9, 2014
    Best film to come out of Hollywood since American Psycho. This is a great film that My fraternity brother and I reference constantly. Di Caprio put throwing lobsters at feds on my bucket list. This movie summaries the American Dream, and showcases the problem with new money.
  81. May 6, 2014
    This film is terrific, and im not talking about the sex and drug scene, but the movie is well conducted and well directed proving once again the talent of martin scorsese and leonardo dicaprio.
  82. Mar 12, 2014
    Not sure how this movie didn't win a single oscar. Leo and Jonah were fantastic in this film, the storyline is far-fetched but entertaining nonetheless. The 2 and a half hours flies past and leaves you wanting more. If you are a teenage boy this movie will be pretty much movie of the year, hell, if you like **** and drugs this movie will be great fun. Definitely a must watch!
  83. Feb 2, 2014
    best film in years. it is really just a film you have to see. maybe you will not like it as much as i do, but it is defenitely a experience everyone should witness
  84. Aug 26, 2014
    This movie is value for your money. I wished I watched it in cinema rather than on DVD. Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill's performances were off the chain. Thumbs up!
  85. Jan 24, 2014
    If you are offended by nudity, or profanity..stay far away. If you are interested in a complex study of opulence and where unfettered power leads you, then this film is for you. Jonah Hill deserves a best supporting Nod. Some think that this film is over the top, but often true stories are the most shocking.
  86. Dec 29, 2013
    PEOPLE GET OVER YOURSELVES this is the most sick bad ass movie i have ever seen and i have seen well over 250 movies if not more and just to start my review i don't like dicaprio not my favorite actor but his performance in this movie is Oscar worth and anyone who says otherwise is a FU**in moron This is the best movie of 2013 even "Django Unchained which is a excellent movie per sePEOPLE GET OVER YOURSELVES this is the most sick bad ass movie i have ever seen and i have seen well over 250 movies if not more and just to start my review i don't like dicaprio not my favorite actor but his performance in this movie is Oscar worth and anyone who says otherwise is a FU**in moron This is the best movie of 2013 even "Django Unchained which is a excellent movie per se this movie just blow me away i give it 10/10 across the FU*** board yes maybe a LITTLE to long but the amount of fun that i had watching it a forgot how long it was And P.S you mommy and daddy boys and girls go to f HELL just because you go to church and you never seen dick and or vagina that doesn't mean you should crap all over everyone that was in the movie and etc I am 18 and i don't believe in god church and etc but that doesn't mean i don't respect it so you can say that you yourself don't like the movie but don't give it 1/10 just because you are mommy's boy I can agree that I would never take my mom to see this because she would have nightmares but seriously peopleee the move is awesome and period anybody who tells you differently is just stuped go and see it and if you hate it OK but keep it to yourself Expand
  87. Jan 31, 2014
    Let me start by saying that I am not historically a big fan of Dicaprio, but this film swayed me a little. He does such a great job of playing this slick, smart, motivated, yet completely morally bankrupt person. I simply had to bow down to the man. It was a great performance in a leading roll. One of the best I've seen. I'm not exactly sure about how close to actual reality the movie'sLet me start by saying that I am not historically a big fan of Dicaprio, but this film swayed me a little. He does such a great job of playing this slick, smart, motivated, yet completely morally bankrupt person. I simply had to bow down to the man. It was a great performance in a leading roll. One of the best I've seen. I'm not exactly sure about how close to actual reality the movie's depiction was, but I found it entertaining nonetheless. No child under the age of 18 should EVER see this movie, but me and my wife enjoyed it. Expand
  88. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Wolf of Wall Street is very long, very loud, full of brazen immoral behavior, repellent characters, completely over-the-top, and a brilliant black comedy.

Reading through the reviews by professional critics and users it appears that except for my conclusion in that lead-in sentence, everyone agrees about what is on the screen whether they give it high ratings, mixed ratings or low ratings. It is not a case of one person seeing one thing and another seeing something different.

The immoral (not amoral) life of Jordan Belfort requires this treatment the movie is what he was: loud, brazenly immoral, repellent, completely over-the-top and a brilliant con man. A more "restrained" treatment could not have done it justice.

Are you offended by what you see in this movie? Good! It is offensive, but that is the point. You need to see how offensive Belfort and his whole operation was/is. This bad, bad behavior is being held up for ridicule. Laughing at it is the only way viewing it could be tolerable. He does not deserve to be treated as a serious man.

But there is a serious sub-text to this movie. It is an indictment of Wall Street as a whole. The film makes this clear, as Belfort spends one day in a "legitimate" Wall Street firm on 1987's Black Monday, and is exposed to the immoral operation of the "best" firms: the fact that all brokers are essentially conmen fleecing their clients. His genius is to take what he sees and break it free from its shackles of faux respectability, starting with his initial staffing hiring buddies who are small time drug dealers. He is not debasing Wall Street, he is embodying it in its purest form.

And the end of movie makes a very cogent point: how modern society treats the parasites of Wall Street. We see the FBI agent who could have been a broker, and rich, if he had chosen to be a Wall Street conman riding on the subway home. We see Belfort's punishment: 22 months in a country-club prison, and a fine of only part of his vast ill-gotten wealth, where a poor man guilty of 1% of his crimes would have spent 20 years of hard time. And we see the audience of Belfort's "sales" seminars looking hungrily at him, desperately wanting to be able to do what he did.

Having seen the miscreants on Wall Street that crashed the economy at the cost of trillions of dollars to the nation in 1987, walk scott-free, not a single indictment much less a conviction, and not even miss one of their bonuses, this is a very timely movie.

DiCaprio is a necessity in the lead role. It does not draw on his full capabilities, and he carries the role easily, but only a top-flight charismatic actor could portray Belfort and bring the audience along with his utterly self-centered, corrupt, destructive ride.

This movie forms a trilogy with two of Scorsese's other films: Goodfellas (one of the best films ever made) and Casino. They all chronicle the rise and fall of the hustler.

The only reason I give this a 9 instead of a 10, is that then I have no where to go with rating Marty's other great films, several of which (like Goodfellas) are among the best movies ever made.
  89. Jan 5, 2014
    Leonardo's performance in this movie was excellent and was well written, I thought it was good acting by everybody and I highly recommend this movie to start off the year with a story about corruption gone wrong.
  90. Jan 11, 2014
    One of the best movies I've seen for a while, had some really funny scenes, was entertained until the end. I'd suggest to those upset about the drugs and language to avoid this sort of R rated movie in future, it was intended for adults. Stockbrokers on here that make tens of millions but can't spell disgusting...hilarious like the movie.
  91. Feb 3, 2014
    This is one of favorite movies of the year, Scorsese, and DiCaprio do it again, telling the story of notorious Wall Street bad boy Jordan Belfort, who is played perfectly by DiCaprio, and chronicles his rise, and fall, now this movie is not for everybody, if you don't like drugs, swear words, and sex then stay the hell away from this, still this is one of the year's finest.
  92. Jan 26, 2014
    What's this? A three-hour comedy movie that doesn't feel long or annoying? How is this possible? Oh, of course, it's directed by Martin Scorsese, a master of cinema. Now that I have seen this nothing that Scorsese will do won't surprise me. Also, DiCaprio's performance was his absolute best. This is what he needs, a role that really lets him release all his potential. For me it's clearWhat's this? A three-hour comedy movie that doesn't feel long or annoying? How is this possible? Oh, of course, it's directed by Martin Scorsese, a master of cinema. Now that I have seen this nothing that Scorsese will do won't surprise me. Also, DiCaprio's performance was his absolute best. This is what he needs, a role that really lets him release all his potential. For me it's clear who's going to win the Best Actor Oscar (no offence, Redford and McConaughey). Expand
  93. Jan 30, 2014
    It has humor, intelligence, and substance. This is a movie that feels as if you've just gotten off a roller-coaster ride; every twist and turn of the plot is memorable. This movie is unique in the sense that it shows the ugly parts of life unflinchingly, and if you flinch from the reality of it, it feels as if you've just lost. Go back to your comfortable lie where everything is nice andIt has humor, intelligence, and substance. This is a movie that feels as if you've just gotten off a roller-coaster ride; every twist and turn of the plot is memorable. This movie is unique in the sense that it shows the ugly parts of life unflinchingly, and if you flinch from the reality of it, it feels as if you've just lost. Go back to your comfortable lie where everything is nice and just, as Belfort says in the film "go back to McDonalds, because that's where you belong.", meaning, if you want to live an honest life, go get an honest job and try to forget that there are people who are willing to cheat their way through life. Expand
  94. Jan 24, 2014
    Sadly for me I went into watching this hearing from others how long it was, how over the top it was etc. I prepared and went in with eyes open. Loved Leo in this, Loved Jonah Hill in this. I question whether it's the best they have done as I loved Leo in Django. Typical Scorcese and loved how he told this story. Might was well go all the way and make it total debauchery A little long inSadly for me I went into watching this hearing from others how long it was, how over the top it was etc. I prepared and went in with eyes open. Loved Leo in this, Loved Jonah Hill in this. I question whether it's the best they have done as I loved Leo in Django. Typical Scorcese and loved how he told this story. Might was well go all the way and make it total debauchery A little long in the tooth and would have like a little more story about what went on after this movie. Great flick, not movie of the year but Leo should win for his performance... Expand
  95. Jan 27, 2014
    Maybe the characters aren't compelling or over magnified, but that's not the message or theme of the film. Three hours feels like 30 minutes in this fast paced truly satisfying Scorcesse dark comedy. The casting was excellent, the acting exceptional,and, well. Nothing but directive perfection is expected and delivered from Mr Scorcesse. This is possibly Leonardo's most solid performance,Maybe the characters aren't compelling or over magnified, but that's not the message or theme of the film. Three hours feels like 30 minutes in this fast paced truly satisfying Scorcesse dark comedy. The casting was excellent, the acting exceptional,and, well. Nothing but directive perfection is expected and delivered from Mr Scorcesse. This is possibly Leonardo's most solid performance, along with Jonah Hill, whose lovable charisma radiates more and more each cameo and main role appearance, With notable appearances from revered actors such as Rob Reiner. The film follows the working life (initially) of a young, ambitious Jordan Belfort. Appearing as a 'straight arrow' at first, the money churning capitalist machine that is wall street consumes Belfort and all of he's decency, with assistance from Donnie (Hill) and Mark, (McConaughey) becomes a money hungry despicable and sometimes animalistic creature. The film is a modern classic in my humble opinion, a masterpiece, with not one dull moment. It has Oscar written all over it, for DiCaprio at the very least. Expand
  96. Jan 30, 2014
    One of the best movies of the year, with amazing performances from DiCaprio and Jonah Hill and an a great script too. The movie is so long because it is a typical Scorsese movie, but with a lot of dirty and laughing scenes during it.
  97. Jan 29, 2014
    Martin Scorsese has the reputation of producing classics and just when you thought that he is done he came up with another classic called "WOLF OF THE WALL STREET".....
    Leonardo DiCaprio gave his best performance till date and easily best performance of the year. Give him an OSCAR that he so much deserves. Jonah Hill was equally good as well......
  98. Feb 3, 2014
    This is Black Comedy and very good at it. If nudity, drug taking plus disrespect to women, palsy sufferers, etc. worries you that much, don't go. Pick a Jane Austen film adaptation.

The movie has a message but if you need to think about it by the end, then you need help. This is based on true events and the film follows the book in many scenes. So no point in saying it's vulgar, that is in many ways the point of the movie. If the story wasn't sensational and REAL, then the film would be meaningless.

On the negative side, I was disappointed that there was not more made of Jordan's personal relationship with his wife. Given the movie was half and hour too long it was probably not possible to fit anything else in.

Great film for those that like the dark arts......
  99. Feb 4, 2014
    How anyone doesn't rate this film 9 or 10 is beyond me. It's only downside is that it is 3 hours long. It is an action, sex filled masterclass however and the 3 hours fly by. Scene after scene is directed brilliantly. Leonardo Di Caprio plays, for me, his best role to date. His acting along with his co-stars is first class. Its also laugh out loud funny. A must see.
  100. Feb 4, 2014
    Went to see this film expecting to hate it, mainly because of the subject matter. But both myself and my friend couldn't find fault with it. It was long, but it warranted it. It had us laughing and gasping in equal measure. This has to win awards. One of Leonardo DiCaprio's best performances. The whole cast are excellent.

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Dec 28, 2013
    By buying the pitch that its central character’s escapades were the stuff of mesmerizing drama or comedy, Scorsese, Winter and DiCaprio reveal themselves as dupes — the latest in a long line of clever folks swindled by Jordan Belfort.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 28, 2013
    This telling of the tale possesses enormous cinematic energy and a killer supporting cast full of hilarious delights.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Dec 28, 2013
    Any meaningful perspective on the greedfest of the period is obscured by the gleefulness of the depiction.