Paramount Pictures | Release Date: December 25, 2013
Generally favorable reviews based on 1836 Ratings
1,298
WATCH NOW
ThegodfathersonDec 25, 2013
In the end, The Wolf of Wall Street is an outrageous and repugnant reflection of something very real and very rotten at the core of our society. Some people will inevitably be so put off by the harsh composition of the message that theyIn the end, The Wolf of Wall Street is an outrageous and repugnant reflection of something very real and very rotten at the core of our society. Some people will inevitably be so put off by the harsh composition of the message that they fail to heed the importance of that message; but in presenting so much of the bad and the ugly behind Wall Street so unflinchingly, Scorsese has crafted an insightful and important deconstruction of post-millennial America’s moral erosion. These are the barbarians at our gates. Expand
WalkingDead5640Jun 8, 2014
Outrageous and controversial, clever and filthy, but how so funny and charming. Very entertaining three hours, with terrific performances from the cast. DiCaprio has really proved himself recently as a likable actor and great leading man, asOutrageous and controversial, clever and filthy, but how so funny and charming. Very entertaining three hours, with terrific performances from the cast. DiCaprio has really proved himself recently as a likable actor and great leading man, as he fits into this real life character of Jordan Belfort perfectly. I've never enjoyed watching him as much as here. This film is overloaded with nudity and drugs so be aware. Aside from that, this movie is crazy, with great characters and is a good time. Expand
cement23Jan 3, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very funny movie where again you root for the bad guy. Loved the vile behavior and how it depicted people with money as in the gutter degenerates. Showed the dangers of excess and how that lifestyle is hard on loving relationships. Expand
VinayaiyappaJan 13, 2014
Excellent movie overall. I felt if they had cut down on the time a bit,it would have been a phenomenon. That is not a major fault,however,as Leo's acting keeps you enthralled. The movie never loosens up and it's manic pace keeps you glued toExcellent movie overall. I felt if they had cut down on the time a bit,it would have been a phenomenon. That is not a major fault,however,as Leo's acting keeps you enthralled. The movie never loosens up and it's manic pace keeps you glued to the screen. One of the most amusing movies around. Expand
haukynJan 23, 2014
A division in the office. One person walked out. Another loved it. I had to see it. And, wow. Yes, it's misogynistic. Yes, there are lots of drugs. Oh, and yes, there's lots of swearing. But diCaprio delivers a fantastic, high energyA division in the office. One person walked out. Another loved it. I had to see it. And, wow. Yes, it's misogynistic. Yes, there are lots of drugs. Oh, and yes, there's lots of swearing. But diCaprio delivers a fantastic, high energy performance, and there's never a dull moment. What makes it a truly great movie, however, is the ending. As the credits roll we get the message ... the beat goes on ... the amoral greedies are still in Wall Street! Expand
MeaningfullJan 26, 2014
Now this is what you would call a true 3 hours attention magnet for people in reality with this world and anyone saying otherwise, they must be stuck up conservatives with their roots so deep into the ground, there's no way they'll ever seeNow this is what you would call a true 3 hours attention magnet for people in reality with this world and anyone saying otherwise, they must be stuck up conservatives with their roots so deep into the ground, there's no way they'll ever see the sun. YES, the whole movie is about bad boys doing bad things! Its so wrong in so many ways, but so brutally true and openly shows what capitalism breeds - greed. You can take movie whichever way you like, but I believe this is the true face of money. 3 hours well spent. Expand
LouisForsterApr 6, 2014
I watched this film. It stars Leonardo Di Caprio, Seth Rogans friend, and boobs. It's on for 3 hours.
Summary: Really good. Bit long. Much boobs. 8/10.
grandpajoe6191Aug 22, 2015
Veteran director Martin Scorsese does what he does best with "The Wolf a Wall Street", a biography film about the rise and fall of genius wall street stockbroker Jordan Belfort, a character illustrated beautifully with god-like performancesVeteran director Martin Scorsese does what he does best with "The Wolf a Wall Street", a biography film about the rise and fall of genius wall street stockbroker Jordan Belfort, a character illustrated beautifully with god-like performances of Leonardo DiCaprio. Its typical Scorsese magic, as despite the long 3 hour running time the director manages to build the character of Jordan Belfort in-depth with careful meticulousness, from his normal man aspiring to complete the everyman's dream of hitting it big on Wall Street to the dissipation of his family and friends as he plummets down to earth with the weight of his lies and moral corruption pushing down on him hard. Its a grandiose movie that absorbs its audience with pleasure and excess and also manages to make them care about the man's story. Expand
netflicJan 27, 2014
The movie has been nominated for Oscar in at least 5 categories including Best Film, Best Director (Martin Scorsese) and Best Leading Actor (Leonardo DiCaprio as Jordan Belfort, a New York stock broker).

To be honest, I am not a big fan of

To be honest, I am not a big fan of either Scorsese or DiCaprio, but after having seen this movie I completely agree that they deserve these nominations.
The movie is based on Belfort's memoirs that he published as a book with the same name.
This is Belfort's story of rise and fall. He created a brokerage company from scratch and made many millions of dollars utilizing a few dirty schemes and human desire to get rich fast.

He was investigated by FBI, tried and found guilty. While doing his time he decided to write this book.
The movie is criticized by many people to have too much sex, drug abuse and vulgarity. In my opinion, it is done extremely well and is thought provoking. A bit too long though.
AwesomeReviewerDec 28, 2013
"The Wolf of Wall Street" is infectiously entertaining. It is probably the funniest movie I have seen all year with witty dialogue, over the top characters, and filled with energy that bleeds off the screen. Between all the fun however,"The Wolf of Wall Street" is infectiously entertaining. It is probably the funniest movie I have seen all year with witty dialogue, over the top characters, and filled with energy that bleeds off the screen. Between all the fun however, there is also a story about addiction and how it can cause a downward spiral in your life whether it be drugs, money, or power.

Acclaimed director Martin Scorsese does a wonderful job keeping this movie at a high at all times. Never once does this movie lose it’s energy or sense of humor much like the drug induced characters. There are a lot of quick cuts and edits to keep the movie feeling as If you are on drugs as well as playing high energy music in some of the more serious situations.

The cast brings their “A” game. The stand out is obviously Leonardo DiCaprio, who pretty much owns and excels any scene he is in. This film really showcases his diverse range.

Overall “The Wolf of Wall Street” is a full on adrenaline ride that never loses momentum. It’s directed with a lot of flair and energy and has an incredibly well written script that gives it depth and a ton of laughs. The cast is fantastic and DiCaprio gives his best and most fun filled performance to date. I really enjoyed this movie and think it’s the funniest movie of the year 4.5/5
JamesCannonDec 28, 2013
And you thought the bikini carwash saga was over the top!? Mediocre Scorcese, but still manages to rise above average. It is filmed more as a high octane comedy of hedonistic pleasures and Belfort cult personality that propels everythingAnd you thought the bikini carwash saga was over the top!? Mediocre Scorcese, but still manages to rise above average. It is filmed more as a high octane comedy of hedonistic pleasures and Belfort cult personality that propels everything forward. I thought Jonah Hill was actually funny in this and him Dicaprio have some funny scenes together. A couple funny scenes and few good Scorcese moments isnt really enough to hold an entire 3 hour movie about a self centered stock broker/swindler. It isnt really Dicaprio's fault or any other actors fault, the movie for me just doesnt have that compelling pull. I can only watch someone snort a line, smoke crack, screw a hooker, till he finally realizes its all going to come down (well somewhat). I enjoyed for what it was, the Animal House/Brokerage Firm and the rise and fall of a man who could sell anything and rev up his sales team as well. Expand
MovieGoer14Jan 14, 2014
The Wolf of Wall Street serves an intelligent plot and lovable great actors with the screenplay of the year all on one golden plate. It is hilarious, smart, sexy and edgy. Loved every second of this movie.
WymasterDec 30, 2013
The Wolf of Wall Street is a very interesting film. It has a lot of underlying messages about greed, money, and the American dream. I think the people that are shocked or appalled by this movie are ignorant. They fail to see the truth andThe Wolf of Wall Street is a very interesting film. It has a lot of underlying messages about greed, money, and the American dream. I think the people that are shocked or appalled by this movie are ignorant. They fail to see the truth and sincerity behind this film. They feel this film is glorifying excess. And, although it is not glorifying it, what would it matter if it was? There are people who live like Jordan Belfort. Jordan Belfort is not the first of his kind, nor will he be the last. Regardless of how he is portrayed in film, he is real, and people like him are real. Those who find this film over the top are simply ignoring the true nature of society. Does 12 Years a Slave glorify slavery? Absolutely not. It is doing the opposite: Showing the true horrors of slavery. Did Schindler's List glorify Nazism? No. It shamed it. How is this movie any different? It takes a historical event, and takes a way of living that is truly disgusting, and shines the spotlight on it. It tells it like it is. It is telling us that this is the real American dream, that the life of Jordan Belfort is currently what so many of us to aspire to be. And it shows why that is not Ok, why that is wrong.

As a film, it is a 3 hour rollercoaster ride. As art, it is a picture of our way of life.
ACJylhaDec 29, 2013
The Wolf of Wall Street is spectacular. Three hours of extremely well developed characters with Leo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill leading the way. Although most should thoroughly enjoy it, some may have a weak stomach when it comes to the nearThe Wolf of Wall Street is spectacular. Three hours of extremely well developed characters with Leo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill leading the way. Although most should thoroughly enjoy it, some may have a weak stomach when it comes to the near overdose the audience experiences watching and hearing the explicit language, constant use of narcotics and naked women. My reasoning for giving a 9 instead of a 10 is the length, don't get me wrong, none of it is dry but instead of walking out of the theater exclaiming how fantastic the show was, those around me made comments like they were getting off a flight. If you can't sit through three hours at the big screen, wait for the DVD/BluRay and get comfy at home. Expand
deanableJan 13, 2014
An amazing film with an equally amazing performance by Leo DiCaprio. The intense relationship between Mr. DiCaprio and Jonah Hill reminded me of Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci in Raging Bull. Its the very best by all involved. I find theAn amazing film with an equally amazing performance by Leo DiCaprio. The intense relationship between Mr. DiCaprio and Jonah Hill reminded me of Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci in Raging Bull. Its the very best by all involved. I find the criticism of this film because it degrades women, glorifies money, and promotes drug use down right silly. Its a great movie about men who degrade women, glorify money and use drugs. Expand
Kyfresh1Dec 27, 2013
This is a lot like Django Unchained you will either love it or hate it... You may hate the nudity and the F bomb. To me this is a movie and people need to realize stuff like this happens.. However, Leo gives strongest performance to date.
victorhjklJan 13, 2014
The wolf of wall street is amazing, the movie is hilarious and the characters are very charismatics, Leonardo DiCaprio made his best performance in a movie that I have ever seen, the movie can be long, but it's not a waste of time, actuallyThe wolf of wall street is amazing, the movie is hilarious and the characters are very charismatics, Leonardo DiCaprio made his best performance in a movie that I have ever seen, the movie can be long, but it's not a waste of time, actually is one of the best movies of 2013, I really wished that this movie had won the golden globe... Expand
adhamhanyJan 2, 2014
Fantastic movie. I didn't know that the awesome duo of Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio could pull off a comedy, but apparently they can; and it's hilarious.

It's one of the reasons why Scorsese is such a legend. To be at his age and

It's one of the reasons why Scorsese is such a legend. To be at his age and still create movies, not to mention working in a genre almost entirely new to him, is just amazing.

Leo gives, in my opinion, the best performance of his already storied career. I'm definitely remembering this one for a long time.

Jonah Hill is also funny as hell. And so is the rest of the supporting cast. The plot and script are both riveting.

Perhaps my only problem with the film is the ending. It felt kinda sudden. One second Leo is talking to an audience, and the next it's the credits.

But other than that, it's a Must See. Not even it's long duration (3 hours), was a problem to me. The film wasn't boring in any way. It's a terrific depiction of Jordan Belfort, his rise and fall, and the outrageous lifestyle that he and his friends lived in the 1990s.
ArgeonDec 29, 2013
Three hours of sex, drugs, and swearing. Every five or ten minutes, there will be a sex scene, anything from DiCaprio his girlfriend to an orgy on an airplane. Everyone is constantly taking pills, snorting cocaine, and swearing is about 50%Three hours of sex, drugs, and swearing. Every five or ten minutes, there will be a sex scene, anything from DiCaprio his girlfriend to an orgy on an airplane. Everyone is constantly taking pills, snorting cocaine, and swearing is about 50% of the entire script. It's an odd film taking you completely by surprise, and it's a touchy film, but I honestly think nothing was out of place.

If you don't like any of the things listed above, you won't like this film. But, assuming you can watch it, it's a great film. It has everything you need. Humour, drama, acting, music, etc.

The performances are great. DiCaprio, especially, nails his role as a Wall Street wannabe, sleezy and talented. Falls under drugs, sex, and pushes his way to fortune through illegal activities. Everyone else is fantastic no one ever sticks out as 'bad'.

The music is fantastic, never out-of-place and always complimenting the scene going on. Humour? I couldn't stop laughing at times. The drugged behavior or the witty (offensive, some might call it) office abuse makes this comedy one of, if not the best comedies of the year.

Overall, it's an amazing movie. It does drag just a little too long; 2.5 hours would've been enough, but honestly, 3 hours isn't bad in a crazy movie like this. Go see it if you have the chance!
SwatiJan 29, 2014
Martin Scorsese returns to showing us a debauched way of life which seems to be his favourite subject. There's plenty of parties, drugs, liquor and sex. Scorsese is the master of depicting the passage of time with imagery and voice-over.Martin Scorsese returns to showing us a debauched way of life which seems to be his favourite subject. There's plenty of parties, drugs, liquor and sex. Scorsese is the master of depicting the passage of time with imagery and voice-over.

The acting was splendid. DiCaprio nails the role of a free of concern stockbroker with more money than he can spend. Jonah Hill does a nice job as a supporting character. The remaining supporting cast, including Matthew McConaughey did wonderful jobs and true justice to their roles.

The message here is the same one Scorsese has already dealt with in Goodfellas. Then he followed a bunch of gangsters around as they rose and fell while they reaped what they sow. This time the main characters are a party loving horde of stockbrokers who swindle rich people out of their millions without anything weighing down on their conscience.

The subject matter was so intriguing, and Scorsese had so much to tell that I thought that the length was justified. When a movie does not drag for a moment despite going on for three hours, you have to admit that you were glad that it was this long. I'm sure it will be watched and re-watched by countless zealous fans of Scorsese for decades to come.

The time depicted is the 1980s. After a stock market crash, Jordan Belfort finds himself out of work. He builds from the scratch, hiring promising but uneducated good-for-nothings who make millions along with him. The trade is so lucrative it is unbelievable. But of course when you attract this much attention, there are bound to be people who would look into your life and try to find your weaknesses, which in this case were hunts for evidence which might prove that the wealth that Belfort has accumulated was acquired by illegal means. So ensues a game of wits where the FBI and the stockbrokers try to come out on top.

The tone is always light and humorous. Nigh a scene passes without being followed by a comical one cracking you up. Matthew McConaughey is the first one to show us what the movie would be like. That scene at the restaurant where he mentors Jordan on how to live his life was one of the best scenes. But the movie is replete with such memorable scenes. Both Jonah Hill and DiCaprio delivered such strong performances and were so funny that I couldn't help but applaud them for their efforts. I think they both deserve the nominations they have received at the Oscars.

There are more scenes of nudity and sex than I could count, but they were used with finesse. They never seemed lewd, although that word was passed around a lot. Everyone was fond of snorting cocaine. The level of partying displayed left me envious, which I think was the whole point. It had a purpose, which was to make us learn a lesson when the fates of these characters eventually catch up with them.

The first hour and a half was about nothing except for care-free sex, earning loads of money and taking in various drugs. I trusted Scorsese to change gears midway and he did exactly that. The movie became somewhat sober but still did not change the mood so much as I've seen in other movies which became atrocious the minute they became serious.

The characters clearly enjoyed their lives to the fullest. And when someone is having fun, you can't help but root for them when the bad guys (which might be the good ones in real life) seek to bring them down to their own level. It did feel like Scorsese was celebrating debauchery. But I think the ending was done pretty well and succeeded to show us what you get when you wrong someone.

I feel like Scorsese has created a great piece which will be admired in the coming years if not now. But yet I think the film lacked the greatness he achieved with his earlier films like Goodfellas and The Departed. But I might be wrong. Who knows how I'll feel about it if I watched it a couple of times more. It did feel like a film that wanted to achieve more hence the longer running time, and I could not put my finger on anything it messed up, so I might be feeling differently about it if I was asked in a few years' time. But this is Scorsese we're talking about. Even if he makes a film that people will jump to criticize, it's only because we have become accustomed to expect nothing less than greatness from him.
LaurentiousJan 8, 2014
From the very start of the movie you are put right into what it means to be a New York stock broker. This movie maybe be a tad over the top, but it needed because of the lavish and high intensity lifestlye these men live. Leo plays probablyFrom the very start of the movie you are put right into what it means to be a New York stock broker. This movie maybe be a tad over the top, but it needed because of the lavish and high intensity lifestlye these men live. Leo plays probably his best role I have seen him play. That is saying alot because I have never seen him play better than Blood Diamond. I would definitely buy this and see again when it comes out on Blu-Ray and probably buy it. The best scene is when jonah hill and leo share the 700 qualede so funny. Expand
omniscientDec 27, 2013
The hectic, fast-paced Wall Street lifestyle coupled with an insatiable hunger for money present a funny but sad look into Jordan Belfort's (DiCaprio) life as it takes many twists and turns. Scorsese takes you on one hell of a ride.
ADM21Jan 24, 2014
I'm a big fan of Martin Scorsese and Leonardo Di Caprio, so naturally i was always going to see it. Overall, it didn't disappoint. It was smart, funny, and well acted and was quite enjoyable to watch. Admittedly, it was a little long at 3I'm a big fan of Martin Scorsese and Leonardo Di Caprio, so naturally i was always going to see it. Overall, it didn't disappoint. It was smart, funny, and well acted and was quite enjoyable to watch. Admittedly, it was a little long at 3 hours, i think 20 or 30 minutes probably could have been easily edited out without having any profound impact on the plot or themes in it, but its certainly still worth watching.

Oh and for those people who were disgusted and offended by it (some of you even walked out), you get no sympathy from me. The film received an R rating, and it did so for a reason. Maybe next time read why it was rated as such before you walk into the cinema, would have saved yourself a lot of time.
ChasonDec 30, 2013
LOVED this! DiCaprio absolutely gives the performance of a lifetime! The movie has some scenes that are so hilarious your sides will be hurting. It's got a dark side, too one that will have you leaving the theatre thinking.
termxJan 5, 2014
This is a life about one broker that has stolen from others to fill his own fortune. With that in mind this is no way any type of documentary or fact on what every broker is like on Wall Street. This story is about one individual that cheatedThis is a life about one broker that has stolen from others to fill his own fortune. With that in mind this is no way any type of documentary or fact on what every broker is like on Wall Street. This story is about one individual that cheated others to get on top and ran a unprofessional office that was out of control. Some situations was troubling, while some was just comical. Without laying out spoilers, this is not a film you will exit the theaters with some form of a connection to the protagonist. This is a rise-and-fall scenario of a rags to riches story.

Now I did see two families leave half-way into the film and I've read/heard from others mentioning this film should be rated X, that there's so much F-bombs and sex acts. My response I tell them and anyone:

1. What makes you think this is a film to bring the family to? Just because it was released during the Xmas holiday does not mean you can bring the kids and the grandparents. The film is rated R for a reason. As a parent, you should've used a bit more common sense and at least research the film on parent review sites before taking the family.

2. If you've seen Martin Scorsese's previous films, you know what you are getting yourself into. Goodfellas says the f-bomb 300 times. This film will say it at least 506 times. If you can't handle that amount of language in films like Goodfellas, then what makes you think you can watch this film and enjoy it?

3. There is a few short sex scenes, but the detail is what you experience in any rated R film these days. It's no way close to full detail like an actual porn film and anyone saying that is just exaggerating. Some of the scenes did drag a bit, but like any Scorsese film there's a reason for it and it's a opening hook that leads to a further altercation with the characters. The protagonist did lived a wild life!

Did I enjoy the film? Well... yes I did! In a sense, this film shows anyone that when you have the ambition to move up in life from nothing, you can be whatever you want to be. But with that in mind, you can loose everything if you loose moral values and live a life that progresses to go out of control (stealing, drugs, etc). If you have an open-mind and don't mind Scorsese's work and way of directing, then you'll enjoy the film.

If you hate language, drugs, and typical rated R sexual situations/nudity, then you're better off watching another film.
Laekerson95Jan 23, 2014
How many times you watch Wolf of Wall Street a week? 3 maybe 4 times. You wanna bump those numbers up those are rookie numbers in this racket. Me myself I watch it at least twice a day. Once in the morning after I workout and once right afterHow many times you watch Wolf of Wall Street a week? 3 maybe 4 times. You wanna bump those numbers up those are rookie numbers in this racket. Me myself I watch it at least twice a day. Once in the morning after I workout and once right after lunch. I want to. That's not why I do it. I do it 'cause I need to. Think about it. You got Jack Ryan all week long. Very acidic over-the-shoulder mustard, it can kinda wink some people out. You gotta keep the blood flowing, keep the rhythm below the belt. Expand
jouleruseeDec 26, 2013
When Belfort gives his over the top speeches, it's given a spiritual aspect that suggests a slow degeneration of traditional values and morality. It's an observation that the piety that was once a foundation for society was twisted by anWhen Belfort gives his over the top speeches, it's given a spiritual aspect that suggests a slow degeneration of traditional values and morality. It's an observation that the piety that was once a foundation for society was twisted by an ethics driven by materialism and licentious desire, till the value of personal identity and character gave way to appearance and social status. Really disturbing. Expand
Tazmania32Jan 9, 2014
Definitely my favorite comedy of the year. For some reason, Scorcese seems to only one that gets my humor. Dark, blunt, not whimsical, just real. All his films capture this foul tongued aspect, and man Wolf carries a lot of it. I'mDefinitely my favorite comedy of the year. For some reason, Scorcese seems to only one that gets my humor. Dark, blunt, not whimsical, just real. All his films capture this foul tongued aspect, and man Wolf carries a lot of it. I'm usually not the DiCaprio band wagon, but I think he should get the Oscar for Actor in a Comedic Role, Jonah Hill supporting. Sickening delight. Expand
Redfox475Jan 8, 2014
This movie blew my mind with creative direction and fresh, invigorating acting by the entire cast. Yes, it's vulgar, but if you watch any shows on HBO or Showtime, you've seen the same or worse. Don't miss a chance to see an amazing movie.This movie blew my mind with creative direction and fresh, invigorating acting by the entire cast. Yes, it's vulgar, but if you watch any shows on HBO or Showtime, you've seen the same or worse. Don't miss a chance to see an amazing movie. (My only complaint would be it's length. I still enjoyed at least 95% of it, though.) Expand
m_eldersJan 3, 2014
At about the middle of this film (an hour and a half in), I thought, "I don't think I like this movie." Then it grew and grew on me, even after the credits. I mean, my rating started out at an 8, but it's already grown to a 9 at this point inAt about the middle of this film (an hour and a half in), I thought, "I don't think I like this movie." Then it grew and grew on me, even after the credits. I mean, my rating started out at an 8, but it's already grown to a 9 at this point in the review.

The film is superbly crafted. I didn't know until the credits rolled, but the writer of The Wolf of Wall Street is Terrence Winter, a lead writer and executive producer of The Sopranos. Just as The Sopranos says, "Even though the mob is glorified, and maybe it looks like being a mob boss is pretty cushy from the outside, being in the mob sucks, and the people in the mob suck worse," The Wolf of Wall Street says the same about those on wall street who take advantage of people

The movie is full of symbolism, memorable quotes, and emotion. (My rating just jumped to a 10, since I really can't think of anything in the movie that didn't seem intentionally written.) It's also full of disgusting people being despicable (and along with that, a lot of over-the-top nudity, drug usage, and language). This bit is why I believe so many users find the movie repulsive. But in the end, you are supposed to be repulsed (and laugh at the same time, if that makes sense).

If nothing else, The Wolf of Wall Street is unique. Few people can deny that.
SimpleMethodJan 12, 2014
The Wolf of Wall Street is depraved, disgusting, and ridiculous. I loved it. Knockout performances from Jonah Hill and Leonardo Dicaprio that capture just how truly raucous Jordan Belfort and Co. really were. An excellent end-of-the-yearThe Wolf of Wall Street is depraved, disgusting, and ridiculous. I loved it. Knockout performances from Jonah Hill and Leonardo Dicaprio that capture just how truly raucous Jordan Belfort and Co. really were. An excellent end-of-the-year Scorsese movie, and it is leading the pack for my favorite of the year right now. Expand
PStakhivJan 1, 2014
Very impressive work from Martin Scorsese, probably the best picture of 2013! This movie has full package acting is on highest level, story is unique and intriguing, production is top-notch! Hopefully it will collect it's well deservedVery impressive work from Martin Scorsese, probably the best picture of 2013! This movie has full package acting is on highest level, story is unique and intriguing, production is top-notch! Hopefully it will collect it's well deserved awards at oscar's Expand
DiskMagazineDec 28, 2013
Scorsese has made a film that will make people cringe, laugh, and maybe even a little bit upset because of it’s explicit content. That being said, The Wolf of Wall Street is the most accessible three hour film to date. It is massivelyScorsese has made a film that will make people cringe, laugh, and maybe even a little bit upset because of it’s explicit content. That being said, The Wolf of Wall Street is the most accessible three hour film to date. It is massively hilarious, and is a bold representation of a man on a twisted, ecstasy like odyssey to corporate greed and addiction. Expand
FatrasDec 28, 2013
This movie is incredibly good. It reminds me of the Scorsese of the 70-75. Di Caprio plays Jordan Belfort in a perfect way, always acting with craziness or lucidity. There are three phases in this Scorse movie: success, vengeance andThis movie is incredibly good. It reminds me of the Scorsese of the 70-75. Di Caprio plays Jordan Belfort in a perfect way, always acting with craziness or lucidity. There are three phases in this Scorse movie: success, vengeance and redemption.
It is a good thing that for once we have quality content in a three hours movie. It is totally worth seeing it in cinemas.
JOHNROCKZ10Dec 31, 2013
An epic film; amazing acting, directing, and overall entertainment. While it is raunchy, don't be turned away by this, this is truly a well made and great film
2thepointJan 9, 2014
Yes yes, the depictions in the film and majority of the acting was over the top, but that's precisely what it needed to be. How can you expect some boring, dull screenplay and actors to carry on and illustrate the real events that happened?Yes yes, the depictions in the film and majority of the acting was over the top, but that's precisely what it needed to be. How can you expect some boring, dull screenplay and actors to carry on and illustrate the real events that happened? This film is not just about 'corruption' by the way. Not entirely at least; it's mainly about greed. It does not 'glorify' Jordan Belfort; all this film does is portray to the audience how greed tore him and his associates apart, and it stayed true to the book. He starts out poor, and a fairy decent human being at the beginning, and all he wants to do is get ahead. Then once he gets what he wants, he starts to want more and more. This film is about the human condition. We always want more than we need and we will always try to bend the rules to get it. Once currency came in to play there were people being corrupted by it, and that won't change until our species is dead. Expand
wazza10Dec 25, 2013
Loved it from start to finish. So entertaining that hardly realized it was 3 hours long.

Obviously not for the prude and children (neither was Blue is the Warmest Color). Lot's of drug use and sex with ample amounts of laughs in between the debauchery.

Definitely one of the best movies of 2013.
merrilymccarthyDec 31, 2013
DiCaprio made The Wolf happen. Put this performance on Fast Blast for the HW community. Give the actor a Triple O at Oscar time for his brilliant output.
michaeltranDec 25, 2013
It's just a good film but not great! This film is funny and very sexy. Leo's performance is always good. But is it too long I love Martin Scorsese ,who is great director of great films and i expect a special comeback from him. But it's notIt's just a good film but not great! This film is funny and very sexy. Leo's performance is always good. But is it too long I love Martin Scorsese ,who is great director of great films and i expect a special comeback from him. But it's not enough for me. However it's still a good film to watch. Expand
rebel6794Dec 25, 2013
This movie is the most over-the-top film I have seen in a LOONG time. It has everything in its 3-hour length. Many people were turned off by the language, sex, nudity, and drugs, but WoWS is a Scorsese film, so what do ya expect? Jonah HillThis movie is the most over-the-top film I have seen in a LOONG time. It has everything in its 3-hour length. Many people were turned off by the language, sex, nudity, and drugs, but WoWS is a Scorsese film, so what do ya expect? Jonah Hill and Leonardo DiCaprio were hilarious, the script was sharp, the plot was intricate--this was just a highly enjoyable, off-the-wall film that kept me going from the moment the midget-tossing began. This is "The Great Gatsby" on Lemmon 714. Expand
TVJerryDec 31, 2013
Martin Scorsese is a master filmmaker and when he gets it right, it's a cinematic treat. Leonardo DiCaprio plays Jordan Belfort, a man who made a lot of money hustling illegal financial deals. He worked hard and played full tilt: copiousMartin Scorsese is a master filmmaker and when he gets it right, it's a cinematic treat. Leonardo DiCaprio plays Jordan Belfort, a man who made a lot of money hustling illegal financial deals. He worked hard and played full tilt: copious drugs, profuse sex and unlimited arrogance. This film is chocked full of greed, excess and amazing directorial touches (the hilarious quaalude scene is an instant classic). The cast of ferocious characters is crammed with memorable performances. At three hours, it never lags, but just keeps entertaining, amusing and exploding with energy. Scorsese at the top of his game.
(Look for the real Belfort to introduce the fictional Belfort in the last scene.)
nicholasbertJan 16, 2014
Most of the people here who thumbed this down did it because of the nudity and the language. The MPAA ratings were very clear about this film, and since when Scorsese doesn't use a tonne of swear words in his work? Besides, seeing MargotMost of the people here who thumbed this down did it because of the nudity and the language. The MPAA ratings were very clear about this film, and since when Scorsese doesn't use a tonne of swear words in his work? Besides, seeing Margot Robbie naked is completely a good reason.

Jokes aside, the film is lengthy but never boring, it has elements of both comedy and drama, and the acting is really strong. I always thought films (as all works of art) aren't there for you to learn a lesson out of them, or to get some goody goody morality. This film shows a reality, albeit maybe exaggerated, and it's simply something to entertain you. And it does entertain. If you want to learn things, you should read Forbes.
RyanbJan 25, 2014
By far one of the best movies of the year. Martin Scorsese shows us that his movie charm is far from over. With like-able characters, fantastic direction, great writing and some of Leonardo Dicaprio's best acting since he began his career.By far one of the best movies of the year. Martin Scorsese shows us that his movie charm is far from over. With like-able characters, fantastic direction, great writing and some of Leonardo Dicaprio's best acting since he began his career. Definitely a must see film of 2013 and some of Scorsese's best work. Expand
TimeStarJan 22, 2014
3 Hours long and still feels shorter than American Hustle.

3 Hours long and still feels shorter than American Hustle.

Seriously though, this may be the best paced film of 2013, but that isn't even its strongest point - Martin Scorsese has made a career out of protagonists who by all rational assessment should be antagonists. Jordan Belfort is a despicable, sad, awful human being, but why does he hold our attention for so long? This piece works so well because it uses farce to outline a character who lives so far on the edge he constantly runs the risk of dropping off it.

Let's talk for a second about the trope of the "Unreliable Narrator". Jordan Belfort is as unreliable as they come - he's a fast talking, swindling, addictive loser who finds something he's good at and makes the world reward him for it. His perspective, and Leonardo DiCaprio's fearless performance, make such a piece of human scum worth watching for so long, because we start to see what is wrong with the "American Dream".

The American Dream, held up as a lofty ideal by tales long past, reaches it's most farcically perverse in Martin Scorsese's Wolf of Wall Street. Every excess in this film, including Belfort's lack of comeuppance for his misdeeds, serves to highlight what is wrong with the economic world of America. And Scorsese knows there is entertainment value here too, and he exploits that so the film retains a manic, hilarious pace throughout, never loosing steam. This type of black comedy is much more rewarding than 90% of all comedies produced today because it finds the ludicrous in what is wrong with the country, so we can mock the people who truly deserve to be knocked off their high horses - the morally bankrupt brokers who think they are Rock Stars. Here's lookin' at you, Mr. Belfort.
DanielleleighJan 20, 2014
Absolutley loved this film, amazing acting done by the whole cast! Kept me laughing the whole way through, I'd recommend this film as a must see! I saw it on its release date on friday, and will be going to see it again on wednesday :) xo
BKMFeb 11, 2014
Martin Scorsese takes a sledgehammer approach to this over the top indictment of Wall Street by presenting three hours worth of sex, drugs, booze, greed and generally repulsive behavior. It's never a boring viewing experience, but it's notMartin Scorsese takes a sledgehammer approach to this over the top indictment of Wall Street by presenting three hours worth of sex, drugs, booze, greed and generally repulsive behavior. It's never a boring viewing experience, but it's not exactly saying anything new or insightful either. The Wolf and his minions have no moral center and no souls to boot. Welcome to the new American dream. Expand
TokyochuchuMar 2, 2014
The Wolf of Wall Street is a kinetic, super fun biopick from DeCaprio and Scorsese. The scenes of excess in the movie are so over the top that they make you laugh your ass off. Likewise, the script is fast, witty and very, very funny. TheThe Wolf of Wall Street is a kinetic, super fun biopick from DeCaprio and Scorsese. The scenes of excess in the movie are so over the top that they make you laugh your ass off. Likewise, the script is fast, witty and very, very funny. The only downside to this movie is that it's slightly over-length. But this is still storming entertainment whichever way you slice it! Expand
thenthomwaslikeJan 22, 2014
Well written, well acted, and creatively shot. Jonah Hill had a hilarious character that branched pretty far from his usual shtick. The color palettes on screen would pop but still looked blanched when in a working environment which made forWell written, well acted, and creatively shot. Jonah Hill had a hilarious character that branched pretty far from his usual shtick. The color palettes on screen would pop but still looked blanched when in a working environment which made for a cool if subtle effect. The domestic violence seemed very realistic without becoming overly sentimental, which sounds evil but works for such an unabashedly greed consumed character arch. The music choices became a problem in the second half of the movie. Playing the food fighters in an otherwise oscarworthy film was a huge mistake, it was out of place, and most aggregiously a song that came out decades after the time period portrayed. There was another song that starts with a call and response toward the end (which I won't spoil) that also seemed very out of place and disrupted the flow of the movie. Don't let that stop you from seeing it though; it's strengths overshadow it's weaknesses Expand
wernytitansDec 30, 2013
Although I don't wish to be a prisoner of the moment, I must acknowledge how entertaining this is as a film.
There is never a dull moment, and Leo steals the show with his performance. The supporting cast is also fantastic, and the movie never ceases to please. The moments feel genuine and the drugs are as real as can be. This satire on the wealthy and their view of the poor may be misunderstood as glorifying drugs and sex. That can be seen in the negative reviews that simply don't get it.
analogkid280Jan 1, 2014
Love it or hate it from this NC17 oh wait, rated R raunch fest. Clocks in at 3 hours and it does fill up the time with an interesting story. Although the story has been told several times before. Like in American Hustle which is out right nowLove it or hate it from this NC17 oh wait, rated R raunch fest. Clocks in at 3 hours and it does fill up the time with an interesting story. Although the story has been told several times before. Like in American Hustle which is out right now and it is set about 10 years earlier. Also DiCaprio's snorfest The Great Gatsby is basically the same story except you get to see full frontal nudity and pure decadence in this film. This one does it better than those ones as it give you very interesting characters to watch even if you do not agree with their motives and ambitions. Expand
TerenceYiboFeb 3, 2014
史上最疯狂电影,典型的斯科塞斯风,黑色幽默+社会讽刺+真实还原,迪卡普里奥贡献了他生涯的最佳表演,同时乔纳希尔和马修麦康纳表演惊艳!3小时行云流水超级流畅,故事精彩,配乐超赞,剪辑风格超赞,实打实的年度最佳影片。史上最疯狂电影,典型的斯科塞斯风,黑色幽默+社会讽刺+真实还原,迪卡普里奥贡献了他生涯的最佳表演,同时乔纳希尔和马修麦康纳表演惊艳!3小时行云流水超级流畅,故事精彩,配乐超赞,剪辑风格超赞,实打实的年度最佳影片。
LowbrowCinemaJan 22, 2014
Ambitious, wild and uneven, WOLF OF WALL STREET is at least an hour too long with scenes that seem endless especially one very unfunny scene with a telephone cord. But WOLF is also deliciously crude and dirty. WOLF brazenly depicts just howAmbitious, wild and uneven, WOLF OF WALL STREET is at least an hour too long with scenes that seem endless especially one very unfunny scene with a telephone cord. But WOLF is also deliciously crude and dirty. WOLF brazenly depicts just how vulgar and bland our culture is all at the same time. These horrible guys aren't even creative enough to have truly obsessive, inventive or obscene fantasies. Everything is banal and hackneyed. Not as pointed as it wants to be, WOLF is still a terrific spit in the face of our despicable age. Expand
J-VIkFeb 2, 2014
best film in years. it is really just a film you have to see. maybe you will not like it as much as i do, but it is defenitely a experience everyone should witness
XMagnetoJan 5, 2014
Leonardo's performance in this movie was excellent and was well written, I thought it was good acting by everybody and I highly recommend this movie to start off the year with a story about corruption gone wrong.
MarmaladeOvenJan 30, 2014
It has humor, intelligence, and substance. This is a movie that feels as if you've just gotten off a roller-coaster ride; every twist and turn of the plot is memorable. This movie is unique in the sense that it shows the ugly parts of lifeIt has humor, intelligence, and substance. This is a movie that feels as if you've just gotten off a roller-coaster ride; every twist and turn of the plot is memorable. This movie is unique in the sense that it shows the ugly parts of life unflinchingly, and if you flinch from the reality of it, it feels as if you've just lost. Go back to your comfortable lie where everything is nice and just, as Belfort says in the film "go back to McDonalds, because that's where you belong.", meaning, if you want to live an honest life, go get an honest job and try to forget that there are people who are willing to cheat their way through life. Expand
calumbrattJan 27, 2014
Maybe the characters aren't compelling or over magnified, but that's not the message or theme of the film. Three hours feels like 30 minutes in this fast paced truly satisfying Scorcesse dark comedy. The casting was excellent, the actingMaybe the characters aren't compelling or over magnified, but that's not the message or theme of the film. Three hours feels like 30 minutes in this fast paced truly satisfying Scorcesse dark comedy. The casting was excellent, the acting exceptional,and, well. Nothing but directive perfection is expected and delivered from Mr Scorcesse. This is possibly Leonardo's most solid performance, along with Jonah Hill, whose lovable charisma radiates more and more each cameo and main role appearance, With notable appearances from revered actors such as Rob Reiner. The film follows the working life (initially) of a young, ambitious Jordan Belfort. Appearing as a 'straight arrow' at first, the money churning capitalist machine that is wall street consumes Belfort and all of he's decency, with assistance from Donnie (Hill) and Mark, (McConaughey) becomes a money hungry despicable and sometimes animalistic creature. The film is a modern classic in my humble opinion, a masterpiece, with not one dull moment. It has Oscar written all over it, for DiCaprio at the very least. Expand
mvoelckerJan 30, 2014
One of the best movies of the year, with amazing performances from DiCaprio and Jonah Hill and an a great script too. The movie is so long because it is a typical Scorsese movie, but with a lot of dirty and laughing scenes during it.
lpiedadFeb 2, 2014
Intense performance from the talented actor, Leonardo DiCaprio. Amazing direction from Martin Scorsese. The movie is a bit over the top but still a good movie overall.
Groovy_IanFeb 16, 2014
The Wolf of Wall Street is one of the best films I've seen this year and its the only movie I've seen this year. The Wolf of Wall Street is 3 hours long but it kept me invested throughout the film, and i think that Leo DiCaprio will mostThe Wolf of Wall Street is one of the best films I've seen this year and its the only movie I've seen this year. The Wolf of Wall Street is 3 hours long but it kept me invested throughout the film, and i think that Leo DiCaprio will most likely win the oscar this year, with the help of Martin Scrocese's script being near flawless and with his direction making it another plus. Expand
MattBrady99Mar 10, 2015
If Leonardo DiCaprio does not a Oscar for he's role in this movie then they is going to be a rant.

This is one of the best films of 2013, the acting, the directing was superb with out no words. Martin Scorsese is the best director out they just all of he's movies are one of the best and his other movies never let me down well my by gang's of new York. This movie is three hours and it feels like 1 hour because the movie goes by so fast that I didn't know the movie was almost finish and some people out they like news reporters and critics are saying that this movie is way to over the top and I got to say what movie Did they watch because I did not think it was over the top or silly.
JamyangDec 28, 2013
Leonardo yine muhteşem bir performans göstermiş. Özellikle canlandırdığı karaktere cuk diye oturmuş.
filmin genel havasına baktığımızda Martin Scorsese imzası hemen görülüyor
ambenderDec 28, 2013
DiCaprio gives his best performance yet in Scorsese's outrageous new film, which ranks among the year's funniest and best. It also includes the year's single funniest scene, toward the end, when DiCaprio's Belfort is forced to crawl out of aDiCaprio gives his best performance yet in Scorsese's outrageous new film, which ranks among the year's funniest and best. It also includes the year's single funniest scene, toward the end, when DiCaprio's Belfort is forced to crawl out of a country club. You'll know it when you see it. Expand
JohnnyStephensDec 25, 2013
It's something new for Scorsese and Di Caprio. I can only remember them together in crime dramas or thrillers. A comedy was a very good choice in my opinion, and what is more, their first real-comedy picture was very very good.
It's 3 hours
It's 3 hours though, but it's never boring and during the film you are always at the edge of your seat.
Very good, and you MUST see it!!!!
moviemitch96Dec 26, 2013
This film left me speechless (in a good way) once the credits rolled. What I saw was, without a doubt, the craziest film Martin Scorsese has ever made! And it was amazing to say the least! The over-the-top sex, drugs, and language play outThis film left me speechless (in a good way) once the credits rolled. What I saw was, without a doubt, the craziest film Martin Scorsese has ever made! And it was amazing to say the least! The over-the-top sex, drugs, and language play out humorously, which is different for Scorsese, as he usually aims for dramatic when it comes to those sorts of things. Nevertheless, it works perfectly! The story of Jordan Belfort transitions from comedic and crazy in the first half to dramatic and serious in the second! Both aspects worked perfectly in detailing his crazy, messed up life. DiCaprio's portrayal of Belfort is flawless and should go down as his best performance in his entire career! Jonah Hill was often times hilarious and made for a great comic relief in the more dramatic and serious parts of the film. Matthew McConaughey was very thought-provoking and funny in his small role at the beginning. All of the other supporting cast members did great and helped this film run along smoothly. But overall, in its lengthy 3-hour runtime, Scorsese creates what is (in my opinion) his absolute best film to date (and yes, even better than Goodfellas!) This film is an absolute must-see for any and all Scorsese fans, as well as any movie-goers looking to see one of the best films of the year! Expand
Amari-SaliDec 25, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overview

The Wolf of Wall Street, undoubtedly is one of Leo’s best performances, and makes it seem that Oscar may finally be in his grasp.

Review (with Spoilers)

When Martin Scorsese puts his name on a film, you know that quality is to be expected. Then, with his most recent muse Leonardo DiCaprio being in the lead role, it is almost impossible to imagine them working together leading to something horrible. After all, they are like a more refined, and dependable, version of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp.

Characters & Story

As for the film, the story focuses on one Jordan Belfort (played by Leonardo DiCaprio) who is this highly charismatic man whose ability to inspire is comparable to that of the great villains of history or literature. However, like many villains, things didn’t start off with him going down the wrong path. When we first meet Jordan, he may not be a saint, but his conscious is clean. He has a wife Teresa (played by Cristin Milioti), and simply wants to live a life where monetary worries are something which are foreign and something simply seen on the news. So, with his first entry level job he meets a man named Mark Hanna (played by Matthew McConaughey) who not only mentors him, but is the figure which begins to change Jordan from the man Teresa fell in love with, to a character who you can’t take your eyes off of.

Unfortunately for Jordan though, after finally passing his series 7 exam, to be an official stockbroker, Black Monday happens. With this event, Jordan is out of a job and Mark is out of his life. However, with Mark introducing him to the taste of the life he always wanted, and Jordan having that old school American, pull yourself up by the bootstraps, mentality, he decides to not let this setback kill his vision of the new American dream: getting rich. So, he first starts out doing penny stocks and then begins building an empire with his workers being the downtrodden of the world, making him rise to a level where he almost seems like Hitler without an army or anti-Semitic views. Alongside him is a man who helps see his dreams come true, and push them to ruin: Donnie Azoff (played by Jonah Hill). Making for an overall adventure in which we see the usual dramatic rise and disastrous fall of a figure who may have gotten beaten, but seemingly gets the last laugh and lives to fight another day.

Praise

First and foremost, there is an obligatory need to praise Leonardo DiCaprio for he will keep you entertained for the full three hours of the film. Through breaking the 4th wall, and all different types of debauchery which usually is only seen on HBO or Showtime shows, we are given a 3D character. One who has all the charm needed to trick people out of money, but at the same time seems like the life he lives and the person he is at heart are continually conflicting with each other. I say that since, despite the yacht, massive ego, and the ability to make a million in a day, there is still this sort of vulnerability, if only slightly. Take note of whenever he is looking at a woman as more than a vagina to stick his dick in, he becomes insecure in almost an inexperienced teen way, making it seem like testosterone is able to create a façade for when it is time to show off, but during intimate moments, the mask comes off and all that is left is a man with money and ambitions, but someone who also desires someone stable to share all of his profit with too.

But it isn’t just DiCaprio who gives you an excellent performance. Hill, based off his filmography, seems almost destined to play Azoff, and though he may not go head to head with DiCaprio in terms of prominence, it is hard to deny that as a supporting member, he doesn’t do a hell of a job. Also, I quite admired the use of soul/ blues music throughout the film signaling the shift of Belfort’s rise, and perhaps the best thing about the film is that while it isn’t rolling on the floor funny, it does keep you smiling and entertained all throughout.

Criticism

Leading to perhaps the sole criticism I have for this movie: The Ending. Our journey with Belfort creates the type of movie you can foresee watching more than once, just because of all the madness that goes on; however, the ending just feels so anti-climactic after everything that is done. You watch the man throw midgets, money launder, have sex with tons of woman, take as much drugs as possible without having an overdose, and though I realize Belfort, the actual Jordan Belfort, is alive so a definitive ending isn’t possible, I just felt like after skyrocketing and maintaining that altitude, the ending feels like a plane nose-diving and just barely making it onto the runway safe.

Overall: Must See

I personally am not a huge Leonardo DiCaprio fan, but it is undeniable that his work with Martin Scorsese took him from Jack in Titanic to a mega star. Whatever it is, Scorsese brings out the best out of DiCaprio the same way he did with Robert De Niro for decades. And with that said, t
RetroView25Dec 26, 2013
RetroView25 here again and "The Wolf of Wall Street" is a masterpiece of what a "ADULT CONTENT MOVIE FOR A MATURE AUDIENCE" should all be about and MORE!!! It's not about the SEX & Drugs content in the movie and trust me there's PLENTY OFRetroView25 here again and "The Wolf of Wall Street" is a masterpiece of what a "ADULT CONTENT MOVIE FOR A MATURE AUDIENCE" should all be about and MORE!!! It's not about the SEX & Drugs content in the movie and trust me there's PLENTY OF THAT in it, but it is how to tell a fascinating story THAT is beyond belief to be REAL!!! Which will make it a Rental favorite for it's "UnRated Version", as the theatrical version was cut down from a NC 17 to a HARD R!!! (This film is not yet rated circa 2006) Anyone!?!

This 3 HOURS EPIC Movie has excellent pacing to never get dull, while trying to hold your urine for that bathroom break scene that will never come in the movie!!! As, it just keeps getting better and better as the scenes goes on topping the next previous one connecting into one intriguing story of Jordan Belfort Rise and Fall on Wall Street!!!

If Leonardo DiCaprio doesn't win a Oscar for Best Actor, then it's a FRAUD!!! Because, DiCaprio delivered some of the BEST motivational speeches EVER HEARD throughout a movie, that were just PRICELESS to hear, ranking up there with a Tony Robbins motivation speech or Vince Lombardi in "Second Effort" circa 1968 which is the HOLY GRAIL for salespeople to watch!!!

I mean, YOU FEEL EVERY BOOMING FOUL MOUTH WORD COMING OUT of DiCaprio's MOUTH!!! Telling you, "GO OUT THERE & MAKE YOURSELF SOME Mother Fudging Money"!!! And, It is empowering to HEAR as watching must see TV!!! And, the graphic language used in this film is VERY HEAVY with 414 F-Bombs dropped, clearly topping another Highly Acclaimed mature theme film called "Glengarry Glen Ross" circa 1992 with 138 used!!! As, The Wolf of Wall Street ranks number 5 on the all-time list of films that use the "F Word" !!!

So, IF YOU ARE A MATURE ADULT then this will be the movie for you to watch!!! As, there are far and in between movies nowadays contenting Adult themes with everything being gear towards young adolescent, like those neuter comic book movies (X-Men series, Wolverine, Spiderman) or those teenie horror movies (Mortal Instruments, Warm Bodies,Vampire Academy, etc.)!!!
KarlthecatJan 16, 2014
Martin Scorsese is really good at making you like terrible people (Goodfellas). By far the best scenes in The Wolf of Wall Street are when Leonardo DiCaprio makes his speeches, I’m growing to like him more.
DrumBuDumJan 3, 2014
The Wolf of Wall Street is a 3 hour adrenaline rush that is moving at the same pace as it's drug-addicted characters. It is a film about the darker side of the stock market, and people need to realize that it is not glorifying the amazinglyThe Wolf of Wall Street is a 3 hour adrenaline rush that is moving at the same pace as it's drug-addicted characters. It is a film about the darker side of the stock market, and people need to realize that it is not glorifying the amazingly true story of Jordan Belfort. The film does contain a strong amount of humor and is very entertaining to watch, but it all builds up to Belfort's downfall and he sure falls hard. Leo does gives his best performance yet and makes the viewer laugh, sigh, and even squirm as some parts of the film are extremely explicit and uncomfortable. Overall though, this film is truly a masterpiece in every way and deserves universal praise. It is being looked down upon because people are finally realizing that the wealthy in this country don't always get their wealth by the best means and many people are having a hard time accepting it. Scorsese does a wonderful job displaying Belfort's story and opening the public's eyes to the "wolves" of wall street. Expand
dilemmaJan 4, 2014
This movie takes mannny turns.

It'll be one of the most bizarre, breath taking, comical you'll see this year. It isn't my favorite movie of all time but comparing to what I've seen in the pass year, this movie is LEAPS head of the rest
This movie takes mannny turns.

It'll be one of the most bizarre, breath taking, comical you'll see this year.

It isn't my favorite movie of all time but comparing to what I've seen in the pass year, this movie is LEAPS head of the rest of the films out there. Leonardo just doesnt seem to do a bad movie, the guy has passionate and it is scene out there on the big screen.

There were a few scences where I just could not wrapped my head around. A few strange ones that really wasn't necessary a dance sing off for 10 minutes that made you think it was an imagine of imagination Plus the two to three long speeches down through out the movie.

It dragged.

That being said the good out weighs the bad by miles. It's long, so get ready and hold on, this is one you'll want to see right away, don't hesitate.

Verdict This movie's worse is still better than any other movies best. 9.2 10
HypocriticsJan 15, 2014
I'm quite frankly amazed at how many people disregard the thrill of this movie, simply because of its content. It's not rated R for Rockabyebaby, idiots.

Leo may have saved his best performance for this controversial giant of a movie. We follow his journey through wall streets ranks, from poor lower-level stockbroker to having sex with a model on a bed of money, and every single second of it is entertaining. Rarely does an audience get the treat of watching a movie is this life-like, all the way from it's plotting and business to romance and comedy. Brilliant.
bensimonds30Jan 23, 2014
Scorsese does it again. His films always manage to amaze me, and always in its own unique way. The Wolf of Wall street was just astonishing. Also, if you're trying to adapt a book into a movie, just take note of this film, so props toScorsese does it again. His films always manage to amaze me, and always in its own unique way. The Wolf of Wall street was just astonishing. Also, if you're trying to adapt a book into a movie, just take note of this film, so props to Terrence Winter. What made this film so incredible, though, was the performance by DiCaprio. If he doesn't win the Oscar for this film, then something's wrong. He played the part beautifully, from Belfort's rise, to his fall. The only reason this film won't win best picture is because of how inappropriate it can be sometimes. But, that being, this film is for everybody. The person who wants to see a really good movie, or someone who wants to be entertained. This film's got both, and Scorsese always manages to do so. This film is highly recommended, and I'll say it again. If DiCaprio doesn't win, then there's a huge problem. Expand
Jayvee27Dec 30, 2013
One of Di Caprio's best since catch me if you can. The drugs, sex, and money must be too much reality for the average American... Di Caprio is persuasive as ever with a great story that will have you gripping your seat and truly laughing yourOne of Di Caprio's best since catch me if you can. The drugs, sex, and money must be too much reality for the average American... Di Caprio is persuasive as ever with a great story that will have you gripping your seat and truly laughing your head off. If you're weak hearted and can't face reality, chances are you won't be giving this movie a thumbs up. A great tale of inspiration and courage in my opinion. Expand
victoratorJan 22, 2014
This is the most entertaining, funny and interesting movie I have seen in the last decade. Exactly what a movie should. Great acting. Beautiful shots and great locations. Terrific entertainment!
Movie of the year no doubt.
abramediDec 27, 2013
This movie was different, brilliant and one of it's finest this generation. I kept on thinking how a movie could rise up to be so good in acting and all other criteria when it's so full of sex and humor that may be termed unnecessary. ThisThis movie was different, brilliant and one of it's finest this generation. I kept on thinking how a movie could rise up to be so good in acting and all other criteria when it's so full of sex and humor that may be termed unnecessary. This movie will always be a classic. I absolutely loved it. Martin and Leonardo's combination just seems to be effortlessly incredible and genius. BRAVOOO... GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!! Expand
BrianMcCriticDec 25, 2013
Leonardo DiCaprio is brilliant in this role worthy of Oscar consideration. This film is filthy but a whole lot of fun. Easily one of the best films of 2013.
guille26cpcDec 27, 2013
best film 2013 is so great that i will see it twice because is one of the best leonardo and scorsese films. But is not for everyone only the people that are preapared
tonyGreenJan 10, 2014
The drama works much better than the comedy. Perhaps that's because the characters are so unlikeable. There are some are great individual scenes however. At ~180 mins it is pretty good value for money, and manages to maintain the attention.The drama works much better than the comedy. Perhaps that's because the characters are so unlikeable. There are some are great individual scenes however. At ~180 mins it is pretty good value for money, and manages to maintain the attention. Perhaps the fascination of watching bad behaviour. Expand
quincytheodoreJan 28, 2014
More than a cult or circus than white collar con one might expect, The Wolf of Wall Street is littered with endless profanity, excessive drug abuse and possibly censored fornication, and quite delightfully so. The movie sometimes usesMore than a cult or circus than white collar con one might expect, The Wolf of Wall Street is littered with endless profanity, excessive drug abuse and possibly censored fornication, and quite delightfully so. The movie sometimes uses sarcastic tone in light of its depravity, but occasionally turns rather dark on the almost veneered anti-heroes as they rise and fall by the riches. Acting is undeniably superb, especially from the lead Leonardo DiCaprio, it keeps the long movie, in which hours spent getting high on various substances, entertaining.

Story revolves around Jordan Belfort (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his motley crew as they strive for opulence in expense of everyone else. It's a very crude display of alcoholism and addiction, Belfort is often seen bragging of his own compulsion and the cast is portrayed high for majority of the movie. This is supposed to be satiric as the downfall eventually comes preceded by uncanny signs of mental decline, but the amount of exposure to substance consumption is staggering. This is also the case with the use of expletive; the movie has delivered words that are usually bleeped in spade. It's safe to say that it's been a long time a cinema movie spams such generous amount of profanity.

The whimsical focus does attract attention; it's more relatable with realistic, albeit harsh approach. Martin Scorsese is a master of the trade, he makes such gritty black comedy and the scenes, even though corrupted, have lively charm in them. It also sports more humor than most of his works. Leonardo DiCaprio brings a top notch performance; he has done everything that could be asked of him, perhaps more. At times he looks like a raging preacher driven by wealth, other times he drools uncontrollably in his inebriated state, making audience wonder if he's actually under influence.

Some of the better moments come as DiCaprio narrates them as Belfort. It's pretty insightful to the character and practically how a person would normally react. Cast does decent job, but aside Jonah Hill as Belfort's sloppy right hand, the rest of the firm is a bit one dimensional, amplified by the everlasting plague of being stoned to death. Margot Robbie as the love interest and sex icon is admittedly gorgeous; she brings a pint of silliness, but gives a quality performance on latter scenes.

The movie's three hours span is overly lengthy; I believe there are some debauchery acts that could be reduced, for repetition of people merrily intoxicated may overstay its welcome. For a comedy, it does provide some great chuckles along the way. Script and screenplay are certainly good, but it lacks the layers of deception, and substitutes or even ignores complex trickery with abundance of drug usage and sexual indulgence.
DanielGrozaJan 26, 2014
What's this? A three-hour comedy movie that doesn't feel long or annoying? How is this possible? Oh, of course, it's directed by Martin Scorsese, a master of cinema. Now that I have seen this nothing that Scorsese will do won't surprise me.What's this? A three-hour comedy movie that doesn't feel long or annoying? How is this possible? Oh, of course, it's directed by Martin Scorsese, a master of cinema. Now that I have seen this nothing that Scorsese will do won't surprise me. Also, DiCaprio's performance was his absolute best. This is what he needs, a role that really lets him release all his potential. For me it's clear who's going to win the Best Actor Oscar (no offence, Redford and McConaughey). Expand
sfleetwoodJan 19, 2014
An outrageous and crude film that is full of drug use and filthy language, by far one of the best films that I have seen in the last year. It has the power to make you laugh the one minute and laugh the next. with Leonardo DiCaprio and JonahAn outrageous and crude film that is full of drug use and filthy language, by far one of the best films that I have seen in the last year. It has the power to make you laugh the one minute and laugh the next. with Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill at their best with a great supporting cast. Expand
jmneeley06Dec 25, 2013
It's becoming a cliche to say this, but dicaprio gives an oscar winning performance. Told like goodfellas, the wolf of Wall Street is 3 hour epic about greed and money. A terrific film by a legendary director
bg21istDec 27, 2013
Scorsese and DiCaprio are back in the craziest and best movie of the year!!! I really loved it because it was so honest and it had no limits and that's he way this film should be. I think DiCaprio gives his best performance in this film andScorsese and DiCaprio are back in the craziest and best movie of the year!!! I really loved it because it was so honest and it had no limits and that's he way this film should be. I think DiCaprio gives his best performance in this film and that means a lot because I think he is one of the best actors of this century. Jonah Hill is fantastic and Margot Robbie isn't just good looks but she's a good actress too and I absolutely loved Matthew Mcconaughey even if he's in the film for just 10 minutes. The writing is phenomenal and I don't even need to talk about the directing because...come on...it's Martin Scorese, he's a master of filmaking. If some people didn't like this film cause of all the debauchery, I get it, it's not for everyone it's completely fine but for me The Wolf of Wall Street is the best film of the year!!! Expand
wzy200912345Dec 25, 2013
I can talk about a lot,for law,for wall street,for actor.............But,i am not

It's a long Movie,3 hours made me almost miss my dinner ,however, whole time when i sit in cinema will made me like the movie said "i am not fxxking leave"
jominjohnDec 26, 2013
greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat
cenzorlordJan 2, 2014
Haters gunna hate......................................................................................................................................
Movie1997Dec 25, 2013
This is a completely new style for Scorsese and DiCaprio, but they make this into their own. The most despicably zanious film of the year shows that it can be extremely entertaining, (even for a super long runtime) really funny, and reallyThis is a completely new style for Scorsese and DiCaprio, but they make this into their own. The most despicably zanious film of the year shows that it can be extremely entertaining, (even for a super long runtime) really funny, and really crazy. It's a Scorsese film that has a little of everything making this one of the best contributions to cinema in recent memory. Everyone in this movie was at their A game, and it's no wonder this movie deserves an A+! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies and also check out my best and worst films of 2013! Expand
Just1nsaneJan 1, 2014
First the biggest mistake was to make this movie 3 hours long. Martin you dont need that much character development to bore us to death. I cant remember how many times I had to look at my clock. Second thing is I understand the sarcasm isFirst the biggest mistake was to make this movie 3 hours long. Martin you dont need that much character development to bore us to death. I cant remember how many times I had to look at my clock. Second thing is I understand the sarcasm is what made this movie funny but it made it worse Jonah Hill made this movie in my point of view he was hilarious. Leonardo was good but he went over the top at times and it became kinda dull. Expand
talhalafciJan 26, 2014
Martin Scorsese is one of my favorite directors of all time.With all his experience he tries a new style and once again he succeeds.Leo gives us one of the strongest performance of his career and so does Jonah Hill. Scorsese's directing,Martin Scorsese is one of my favorite directors of all time.With all his experience he tries a new style and once again he succeeds.Leo gives us one of the strongest performance of his career and so does Jonah Hill. Scorsese's directing, Terence Winter's fabulous script and Thelma Schoonmaker's editing make this film what it is.The Wolf of Wall Street may be 180 minutes long but you'll never get bored, not for one second. Expand
VinceMDec 27, 2013
This is NOT a film for everyone. Yes, it is morally bankrupt even though the good guys win in the very drawn out ending. But it's a wild and often hilarious ride to get to that end. DiCaprio show a huge range as he vividly displays hisThis is NOT a film for everyone. Yes, it is morally bankrupt even though the good guys win in the very drawn out ending. But it's a wild and often hilarious ride to get to that end. DiCaprio show a huge range as he vividly displays his skills. However, it seemed he was over-acting on many occasions. The result was a very primitive form of entertainment. And, yes, women were badly stereo-typed and exploited as passive sex objects for the overly aggressive and greedy men. Expand
Compi24Feb 16, 2014
As charmingly flippant and despicably hilarious as its eponymous protagonist, "The Wolf Of Wall Street" is a freakishly entertaining filmic experience, marking Scorsese's unshakably firm grasp on brilliant filmmaking.
python2000Feb 10, 2014
This is definitely not Martin Scorsese's most sophisticated movie and also far from the best. But I had a very good time when watching it and was consistently entertained. All of the cast give good performances, Leonardo Di Caprio especiallyThis is definitely not Martin Scorsese's most sophisticated movie and also far from the best. But I had a very good time when watching it and was consistently entertained. All of the cast give good performances, Leonardo Di Caprio especially as the central character Jordan Belfort AKA the Wolf of Wall Street, and Jonah Hill is surprisingly good in one of his first non comedic roles. However the main and most obvious reason why The Wolf of Wall Street is so entertaining is because of how outlandish and crazy close to every scene is. In places you almost forget that it's based on true events. From the immature conversation between Belfort and his mentor, played brilliantly by Matthew McConaughey, to the hilarious but quite juvenile night where Di Caprio and Hill get the strongest high known to man, it is ridiculously entertaining. And also worryingly enjoyable due to the extreme amount of sex, nudity, violence and drugs much like the far wittier 2013 movie Don Jon. Overall The Wolf of Wall Street will keep you interested through its whole runtime despite it being 3 hours long, but may repel some more sensitive viewers due to its mature content. Expand
Jbles303Jan 6, 2014
Watching the "movie" I can get a feeling of why so many people are bad mouthing this film, but personally, I felt that Wolf of Wall Street is one of Scorsese's best. The entire cast is great. Leonardo and Jonah are perfect together. It's aWatching the "movie" I can get a feeling of why so many people are bad mouthing this film, but personally, I felt that Wolf of Wall Street is one of Scorsese's best. The entire cast is great. Leonardo and Jonah are perfect together. It's a long film, but great from start to finish. Expand
captscurvyJan 6, 2014
The Hunger
The Hunger
Its no secret that there are investor victims associated with Belfort and his ilk. So why make another work about THAT?! Instead Scorsese wisely provokes us with a portrayal of a modern day Caligula. Belfort is an obscene voracious mad(sales)man, but more interesting is that it takes a mass of 'everyday people' (and deregulation perhaps) to let that kind of wild predation happen. Scorsese hedges a bit but subtly reminds us that too many of us would, by choice or necessity join Belfort. It seems like the film was mostly repeated scenes of Belfort in the office, mic in hand electrifying his vast army of hungry brokers! Sitting in the theater WE become Belfort's audience. Thankfully the Wolf is no edificatory entertainment
Carlsdil000Jan 6, 2014
Surprisingly hilarious. The three hour run time makes your antsy to leave the theater and get on with your day, but the pacing in the film is perfect.
BrutalBran95Oct 16, 2014
this is just fantasic start to finish I didnt know what was going to happen its a shocker its fantasiclly well put to gether ignore the trolls no matter how good something is there will never be a perfect 10 rating because of the jealousthis is just fantasic start to finish I didnt know what was going to happen its a shocker its fantasiclly well put to gether ignore the trolls no matter how good something is there will never be a perfect 10 rating because of the jealous trolls its best film of 2014 Expand
FedelcaJan 18, 2014
The Wolf of Wall Street es una película que sube los cambios a otro nivel y poco es decir que se pasó de la ralla, pero esta brillante película que conecta un guión ficticio con la historia real de Jordan Belfort sabe justificarlo de laThe Wolf of Wall Street es una película que sube los cambios a otro nivel y poco es decir que se pasó de la ralla, pero esta brillante película que conecta un guión ficticio con la historia real de Jordan Belfort sabe justificarlo de la manera más cruda posible para brindar una versión oscura y muy divertida de los límites y las personas que no los conocen, y demuestra que "más nunca es suficiente". Leonardo DiCaprio está en el rol de su carrera, su actuación es formidable y bien lograda; el director Martin Scorsese brillante como siempre y la película (que les puedo decir), LA MEJOR DEL AÑO, esta es una de esas películas que puede hacer añicos cualquiera de las espectativas y las suposiciones que te puedas cuestionar a ti mismo antes de ver una película. INSISTO: LA MEJOR PELÍCULA DEL AÑO 2013. Expand
pvtoneillFeb 9, 2014
Best film to come out of Hollywood since American Psycho. This is a great film that My fraternity brother and I reference constantly. Di Caprio put throwing lobsters at feds on my bucket list. This movie summaries the American Dream, andBest film to come out of Hollywood since American Psycho. This is a great film that My fraternity brother and I reference constantly. Di Caprio put throwing lobsters at feds on my bucket list. This movie summaries the American Dream, and showcases the problem with new money. Expand
Wraithe1Jan 31, 2014
Let me start by saying that I am not historically a big fan of Dicaprio, but this film swayed me a little. He does such a great job of playing this slick, smart, motivated, yet completely morally bankrupt person. I simply had to bow down toLet me start by saying that I am not historically a big fan of Dicaprio, but this film swayed me a little. He does such a great job of playing this slick, smart, motivated, yet completely morally bankrupt person. I simply had to bow down to the man. It was a great performance in a leading roll. One of the best I've seen. I'm not exactly sure about how close to actual reality the movie's depiction was, but I found it entertaining nonetheless. No child under the age of 18 should EVER see this movie, but me and my wife enjoyed it. Expand
aGUYtoREMEMBERJan 2, 2014
Nice way of showing something that is:
-corrupt
-fake
-thieving
-lying
-manipulating
-etc

overall it is not great but DiCaprio does a really good job in the moive
870621345Jan 11, 2014
One of the best movies I've seen for a while, had some really funny scenes, was entertained until the end. I'd suggest to those upset about the drugs and language to avoid this sort of R rated movie in future, it was intended for adults.One of the best movies I've seen for a while, had some really funny scenes, was entertained until the end. I'd suggest to those upset about the drugs and language to avoid this sort of R rated movie in future, it was intended for adults. Stockbrokers on here that make tens of millions but can't spell disgusting...hilarious like the movie. Expand