7.6

1. Aug 23, 2013
    But up until its final minutes, The World's End is a genuine delight, the most satisfying apocalypse of a summer that has been brimming with them. Robert Frost famously mused Some say the world will end in fire/Some say in ice. I prefer Edgar Wright's vision: It will end in a pub.
  2. Aug 23, 2013
    This is as close to perfect as it gets. Even with its flaws, it does everything it sets out to do, and is everything that it is supposed to be. Few movies can say that. It ends the trilogy well.
  3. Aug 31, 2013
    The World's End was amazing. I loved the sharp, witty dialogue and Simon Pegg really carries the whole movie with his odd, and somewhat unlikeable lead character. Edgar Wright delivers a fine ending to the Cornetto trilogy, and a great ending to summer.
  4. Aug 25, 2013
    The World's End is one of the best movies of the year. I loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz and this movie was incredible. Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg have created an incredible premise and executed it nearly flawlessly. "The 5 Musketeers" act brilliantly. The humor is clever, and well integrated into the film. The fight scenes are well choreographed and the situations the characters get themselves in keep me on the edge of my seat. The movie even made me tear up during a scene. Overall, it is one of the best movies of the year and I can only recommend it, especially if you enjoy Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Expand
  5. Sep 6, 2013
    I really liked this end of the trilogy movie it was funny, gory and had lots of action, great acting by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost etc. great directing my Edgar Wright in my opinion best movie out of the CORNETTO trilogy
  6. Aug 23, 2013
    Weird that this film doesn't follow a homage to a certain particular set of genre in the film medium but rather gives closure and gives a reflective look at our selves as human beings. All of Edgar Wright's stylistic pans, wipes, cuts and other transitions are still there and the chemistry brother-like duo of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost is there. The action in this film is very top notch, I loved watching the fight scenes because of the kinetic shots and creativeness of the fight scenes are funny and entertaining. The beginning was a bit out there but as soon as they get into the town, strap your self in for a hell of a ride. It take's a particular taste of humor to get the jokes in the film but if your just watching this film because it had beer and had "EDM" music in the trailer, you are going to be like where's the non sensical nudity?! where's the blood? I only see blue blood/ink. lol Simon Pegg at the beginning can be a bit unlikable but who doesn't like an protagonist/anti-hero??? There is some surprise cameos if you ever watched a certain type of "spy" movie in the 90's. Expand
  7. Aug 23, 2013
    Couldn't have asked for a better conclusion to the Cornetto Trilogy. The World's End was quite possibly better than Shaun of the dead and Hot fuzz. It had great character development, a slightly confusing plot at first but it explains itself as it goes, and the humor is all there once again. The World's End is filled with action, a great story with a classic ending, and of course it is HILARIOUS! If you loved Shaun of the dead and Hot fuzz you'll definitely love this one. If you haven't seen the first 2 (I don't know why you wouldn't because they're great) then you won't get a few of the jokes but you will still have a great time but I highly suggest you watch the first 2 before then you will enjoy yourself even more. The World's End kicks every other comedies a$$ proving you can have a great story along with all of the priceless jokes. Go see this!! 9.5/10 Expand
  8. Aug 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The World's End is an excellent conclusion to the "Cornetto trilogy". Following in the wake of the superb Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, The World's End faced a daunting task. It does take a little while to get going, it occasionally is a bit self-referential and getting used to Simon Pegg playing such an anti-hero took me a little while. These flaws aside, it is a fantastic film.

Taking five long dispersed friends back to the epic pub crawl they failed at as teenagers the film starts by introducing each character during meetings with Pegg's Gary King a crude, lying man-child quite unlike Shaun or Nicholas Angel. A long way from Scotty (Star Trek) and Benji (Mission Impossibles 3 & 4), King has stubbornly refused to grow up, remaining as an idle slouch whose friends have left him behind. It took me sometime to see the character beyond Pegg's normal positions (barring his excellent turn in criminally underrated gem Big Nothing), but felt richly rewarded once I could eventually embrace King's values, justifications and the hints of redemption. He is, arguably, Pegg's most impressive creation to date.

We are introduced individually to Oliver (Martin "Bilbo" Freeman), Peter (Eddie "Inspector Lestrade" Marsan), Steven (Paddie Considine) and finally Andy (Nick Frost). Frost was a revelation in this film. Far away from his sidekick role in the two previous films (and, to a lesser extent, "Paul") Andy is as serious a character as the film presents, the man who has probably moved the furthest (emotionally) from the child that Gary King grew up with. A series of increasingly desperate acts by the latter firmly driving Frost's character away, Frost manages to gain real sympathy from the audience during the film, though he also perhaps has the greatest moments of comedy during the action sequences (more on them shortly). It could be argued that Marsan and Freeman especially are underused in this film but, as with the preceding films the main relationship is that between Pegg's character and Frost's.

The spectacular (and increasingly ridiculous) action sequences are superbly choreographed both for exhilaration and laughs. Director Edgar Wright knows when to cause carnage and when to reel back; when to allow a moment for something to sink in and when to throw the kitchen sink in. Given his skills on Scott Pilgrim, Hot Fuzz and Shaun this is not perhaps a surprise. The fight scenes billow with twists and turns, blue blood spilling asunder and delightful usage of setting throughout the film. Observers may note that each pub is named after something that happens there.

It is, simply, a joy. The villains of the piece are the residents of the town. Body possession/cloning is a staple of the science fiction genre (in which this film is as rooted as Shaun was in horror) and is used to marvellous effect, including excellent supporting turns from David "Argus Filch" Bradley, Rosamund Pike and a stunning cameo from Pierce Brosnan. I won't spoil the ending, suffice to say it caught me completely by surprise.

I'd heartily recommend this film it takes its time to get going, but its as rewarding a cinematic experience as has been had in a long time. 9/10
  9. Aug 24, 2013
    [9.5] The World's End is incredible, a perfect comedy. It starts out strong and just gets stronger. I can't come close to expressing my appreciation for this movie. It's hilarious, exciting, and wonderfully sarcastic.
  10. Aug 23, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, I loved "Shaun of the Dead" and especially "Hot Fuzz", but this movie just had everything it needed to not only be a fantastic movie, but to conclude the summer. It's a funny and even heartfelt comedy that entertains on every aspect. A part of me feels like I'm cheating myself on giving this movie a perfect 10. But the more and more engaged I was into this movie, the more I felt for absolutely everything! Overall, it' the best well-made comedy of the summer. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
  11. Aug 23, 2013
    This is by far the funniest and most fun movie of the year; everyone involved is as good as ever. Honestly, this is a movie made by fans, for fans, and the entire theater loved it. I got to see this at a Cornetto Trilogy marathon comprised of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz leading up to the 10:00 PM premiere of the film, and EVERYONE had an incredible time. Everyone.

First thing’s
    first: is a comedy, so is it funny? FROM START TO FINISH! And, surprisingly, it’s actually very heartfelt. The characters are very likable (even if they’re rude and belligerent, they have a good side to them) and there is an argument between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost towards the end that was actually very moving. This film never sacrifices a character or plot point to make a joke, just like the other films in this trilogy, and that in itself shows the care here.

A lot of movies are just mindless fun, but this is actually smart, and it in turn makes it so much more fun. Edgar Wright’s timing and ability to create terrific fight scenes are as good as ever, and of course Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and all others are just fantastic. And let me say something: these special effects are stellar throughout and it only cost $20 million? Truly well-spent. I just can’t wait to see this again.

And note: I am *not* comparing this to Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz (which are my two favorite comedies of all time) because each entry in the Cornetto Trilogy is so different and all of them are truly exceptional.

9.6/10, amazing, two thumbs up, far above average, etc.
  12. Aug 25, 2013
    Overall fantastic movie. Easily the funniest, smartest, and saddest comedy of the year. A great conclusion to an amazing trilogy, and exactly what i expected from edgar wright, pegg, frost and company. always deeper than your typical american comedy, World's End protagonist Gary King is the darkest and most flawed hero yet. some fight scenes seemed repetitive after the 3rd or 4th time around and the the ending had a decent message just delivered in a corny way in my opinion hence the 9 and not a 10. you will not be disappointed. Expand
  13. Sep 9, 2013
    Despite a slow start and not as much Cornetto as I had anticipated, The World's End still is plenty hilarious, though it often relies on the cuss words more than the previous two films in the trilogy.
  14. Aug 31, 2013
  15. Feb 10, 2014
    Fantastically made film. Not as good as Shaun of the Dead, but better than Hot Fuzz. The Action sequences are great, and the comedy is good. The hidden secrets such as the bars being named after what happens in that bar are so easily unnoticed, but a great touch and will have you shocked when you realise.
  16. Sep 3, 2013
    Amazing TRIO has done it again. Love the humor (Its not for everybody). Excellent direction with actually great character development.

Love the fact that it gave us one thing that most movies dont now a day. Closure.

Simply loved it!
  17. May 3, 2014
    The World's End is a great example of how astonishing and spectacular British media is and really shows the viewer why British humor is still up 2 this day highly regarded as the best cinema experiences of all time. The World's is basically Edgar Wright's love letter to the novel Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, full of bizarre, fun, witty and fascinating humor with outrageous action topped off with a story about a dead beat and his old college friends to go out and complete what they started, the Golden Mile, go 2 8 pubs and get wasted.

10/10, Brilliant ScFi humor mixed with British charm and wit with Astonishing action scenes and a moral message that is politically incorrect = one hell of a good time.
  18. Sep 23, 2013
    I am a big fan of the corneto trilogy,i love teh trilogy.so i was really hyped for the worlds end,and my hyped was worth it-I absoluly love this movie in every point.The movie was so fleshed out and polised so every one can understand i wont say the story to you but itis awsome.the way they act is epic they are so sutable for the roles no one else could have replaced them.Only thing that not shocked me but left me amazed whit a weird feeling adn happyness is the end it is not what you expect but it is at the same time so you feel happy and wierd at the same time.this movie diserves a perfect raitng for its clever writing,good acting,good story and for the overall movie.A good end to a good trilogy.and to al you newbes this isnt a realy trilogy it is a made up trilogy from simon pegg read about it neither one of the 3 films arent connected or in the same univere :).go adn se the movie Expand
  19. Dec 23, 2013
    One of the best comedies of the year. The World's End is an engaging film. Like its predecessors, it's stocked full of laughs and quick-witted dialogue, and the cast is simply brilliant.
  20. Sep 13, 2013
    The end of the so-called "Cornetto" trilogy, "The World's End" perfectly mixes humor, sentiment and action...all in uniquely different ways. This will be a film where dialogue is repeated verbatim for years to come and it's an outstanding cast: Nick Frost, Simon Pegg of course, plus Eddie Marsan from "Ray Donovan", Martin Freeman and Paddy Considine from the brilliant thriller "Dead Man's Shoes." Here, they all get their time to shine. The movie is like hanging with the funniest yet nicest people you know. The plot is simple: 4 guys are coerced into reliving a night from their youth thanks to Simon Pegg's "Peter Pan." It is his refusal to grow up that drives the narrative, provides most of the laughs, and at various times, creates real sentiment..laugh out loud funny, kudos to all concerned. Expand
  21. Sep 16, 2013
    Quick-witted dialogue and unbelievably perfect characters not only render "The World's End" into a brilliant science fiction yarn it also leaves the audience with a thematically heartfelt end to the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy.
  22. pxl
    Aug 27, 2013
    A fantastic finale to The Cornetto Trilogy, altogether an enjoyable film, well done and thank you to Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. I'd say one of the best movies in the trilogy.
  23. Dec 13, 2013
    A fittingly hilarious and clever ending to the "Cornetto Trilogy", complete with Edgar Wright's tight, stylish directing; witty, fast-paced, and almost intimidatingly allusive dialogue and great characterization. This film, as with the others in the trilogy, is distinct from the other two in many ways, but balances almost perfectly the sense of familiarity and novelty. It feels like its own film, and yet it is similar enough to its counterparts to make them feel unified. Though it wasn't as good as Hot Fuzz, it still made me laugh, a lot. Expand
  24. Sep 22, 2013
    My favorite installment in Edgar Wrights Three Flavours trilogy. The Worlds End is always exciting and always funny. Not only does it succeed at being awesome, but also at being quite emotional and in one scene tear jerking.
  25. Aug 25, 2013
    This was one of the best movies I ever saw. I liked it better than Shaun of the Dead but not as much as Hot Fuzz. Either way this is a fantastic movie that everyone should go see. Assuming you are old enough.
  26. Nov 28, 2013
    The World's End is a great finish to such a great trilogy. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are fantastic as usual, but Pegg's Gary King provides the quick witt and most of the laughs. Overall Edgar Wright has created a one of the best comedic trilogies there is. A
  27. Sep 24, 2013
    Oh my god, this film is something else. Very rarely to I find a film that manages to make me laugh whenever it's attempting to. And all of the other elements that help bring this work of art together are very strong standing. All of the characters are likeable, believable, and they're even relatable to a certain degree, with top notch performance top put the cherry on top. The story is very interesting. It had me hooked from it's retro introduction, to it's final brawl at the very end. The setting may seem quite similar to Hot Fuzz, but it's approach to the setting is very different from such. We seem to have a sort of hybrid of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, which is a match, made in heaven. This certainly one of the best movies I have ever seen. It manages to live up to the hype and hold its own in an industry too scared to tip-toe outside the proverbial box. This film, might just be perfection. I'm honestly trying my very hardest to try and find one bad thing with this movie, and I only found one. The ending seemed a tiny bit inconclusive, but overall it wrapped itself up very well. Also to mention this is one of those movies where the more you watch it, the more it makes sense and the more you understand, so it may have just been me being stupid. So for being one of the few honestly laugh out loud comedies out there, and having brilliant performance, cinematography and writing, The World's End receives the final verdict of the legendary... 10/10. A must see. If you didn't catch it at the cinema, get it on DVD, Blu-Ray, Netflix I don't care. Just seek it out. It's one of the best films of all time and manages to be one of only 3 10/10 ratings this decade (the others being Toy Story 3 and Skyfall) Expand
  28. Oct 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Worlds End was a funny and unique film. Simon Pegg is just a great actor and plays his part as Gary King in a great way. This movie involves 5 friends, led by Simon Pegg's character, on a pub crawl eventually leading to the pub The World's End. The humor in this movie is just excellent and the dialogue is perfect. I also give credit to Nick Frost for playing the reluctant best friend of Simon Pegg, Andy. The movie has some twists that are unpredictable which makes this film really exciting. The character development was pretty simple and straight forward. So that is all I have to say about this movie just great it was funny, creative, intelligent, and a great experience I highly recommend it as it is the sleeper movie of the year. Overall 9.5/10 Expand
  29. Mar 24, 2014
    Probably my favorite comedy movie. The humor is dark and the characters are interesting. Simon Pegg makes the movie with his childlike character. He is, of course the cornerstone of the film, keeping it interesting throughout. One thing that a viewer should e aware of before seeing this is that it is not a solid comedy. What I mean by that is the movie takes breaks from providing laughs in order to tell a better story. This doesn't make it any worse of movie, it's just something I wasn't expecting going in. Collapse
  30. Sep 7, 2013
    Despite the weird "enemies", this movie kept me laughing from start to finish. The cast qas strong and fun. The script was smart and hilarious. It's hard not to enjoy this movie.
  31. Aug 27, 2013
    Perfect ending for a perfect trilogy. Everyone from the past two movies ("Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz") have come back for an epic finale. This time, the main genre of the movie is sci-fi, and the story is pretty damn brilliant: it has a lot of hilarious moments (with Simon Pegg being the funniest in the whole movie), but also an emotional depth that I wasn't really expecting. Also, the action sequences feature great camera angles, and not dumb shaky-cam.
    I'm sad that this trilogy has come to an end. Wright, Pegg, Frost and the rest of the crew will always be in my heart, as protagonists of the best trilogy ever made!!
  32. Aug 30, 2013
    Is amazing. A genuine and satisfaying apocalypse of Wright. The humor is very intelligent, is a movie made by fans, for fans. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Edgar Wright has been one of the biggest success stories of cinema of the last decade.
  33. Aug 30, 2013
    Great Game! I am from Ukraine. Here is we play different staff like WOW, WOT, different kind of games... but this one makes me crazy Ubisoft creating best games... my point is 9
  34. Sep 4, 2013
    Pretty good! I'm a big fan of Simon Pegg so this film made me very happy, especially because Simon Pegg was in it and he his always a joy to behold. An A+!
  35. Sep 13, 2013
    Very original! While I do find Shaun of the Dead still the best of the three Pegg, Frost & Wright movies, this was enjoyable. Though, I think the ending was kind of weird and unexpected. Overall, I liked it and it was a fun flick to watch.
  36. Sep 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The World's End was inspiring, filled with a mix of a dream with an apocalyptic twist, had a rebellious fun loving leader of friends that i could relate to, repeated the SPNF movie trilogy elements with pub drinking and fence jumping, showed old friends meeting again catching up which is a classic formula for awesome, it overall got me impressed and excited.
    it left me feeling refreshed, relaxed, rejuvenated, reanimated, recharged, and revved.
    being a great endpart to the SPNF movies trilogy, I give it in a solid 10/10 because its level of awesomeness seemed like an art form to me and revived that dormant living fun loving spirit inside. It invoked my inner party demons.
  37. Oct 2, 2013
    Now this is a very intelligent movie, extremely funny, surprising, and with a message.
    One of the best movies I've seen in a very long time.
    There goes that.
  38. Sep 25, 2013
    Easily one of my favourite films. Went to see it with my dad and the excessive swearing and sarcastic humour really clicked. Brilliant fun, wouldn't recommend for sensitive people!
  39. Dec 28, 2013
    The last entry in the Edgar Wright's trilogy is equal parts riotous and moving. The film is a masterwork in pacing, and Simon Pegg gives what has to be his best performance ever.
  40. Jan 2, 2014
    A really fun movie with some really nice jokes and good action sequences, combined with witty back-and-forth banter between the main characters make The World's End a great ending to Three Flavours Cornetto (or whatever you want to call it) trilogy.
  41. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The World's End was absolutely outrageous!!! If the movie didn't have all the laughs and drinks in it, it would just be one of those pathetic movies similar to the Steve Jobs biopic directed by Joshua Michael Stern.
  42. May 1, 2014
    This movie is the perfect end to a trilogy that has had audiences both amazed with the acting and directing, and laughing out loud with it's incredibly witty comedy. I have already seen this movie over 10 times, and each time I discover something new.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Aug 31, 2013
    Nothing here is so well defined, and the tone of the film begins to suffer. I cannot imagine returning to it as one does to "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," hungry for fresh minutiae. [2 Sept. 2013, p.80]
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Aug 28, 2013
    The World’s End affectionately takes a page from our Fifties sci-fi films.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Aug 26, 2013
    There's a lot of fun to be had in watching The World's End and, surprisingly, more thematic depth than one might expect. The humor, true to its British roots, may baffle some Americans but those who "get" it will laugh quite a bit.