7.7

1. BKM
    Sep 1, 2013
    Simon Pegg and Nick Frost team up once again with director Edgar Wright for the final film in their Cornetto Trilogy that began back in 2004 with Shaun of the Dead. While it's not quite on the same level as that uproarious classic, The World's End nevertheless serves as a satisfying finale to the series. A nice balance is struck between gut busting humor and more sobering themesSimon Pegg and Nick Frost team up once again with director Edgar Wright for the final film in their Cornetto Trilogy that began back in 2004 with Shaun of the Dead. While it's not quite on the same level as that uproarious classic, The World's End nevertheless serves as a satisfying finale to the series. A nice balance is struck between gut busting humor and more sobering themes including the uneasy transition into adulthood and the devastating affects of alcoholism. It's heavy but never heavy handed and one of the best comedies of 2013. Expand
  2. Sep 3, 2013
    Amazing TRIO has done it again. Love the humor (Its not for everybody). Excellent direction with actually great character development.

Love the fact that it gave us one thing that most movies dont now a day. Closure.

Simply loved it!
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    In the words of Oliver “WTF”. The World’s End is one of the weirdest movies I have seen all year. The story took me completely by surprise delivering the most offbeat and off color movie of the year thus far. The weirdess of the story though enhances it and makes it and stand out film of the year and by no means holds it back. Also, the characters are really likeable especially GaryIn the words of Oliver “WTF”. The World’s End is one of the weirdest movies I have seen all year. The story took me completely by surprise delivering the most offbeat and off color movie of the year thus far. The weirdess of the story though enhances it and makes it and stand out film of the year and by no means holds it back. Also, the characters are really likeable especially Gary primarily do to Pegg’s excellent performance. Additionally, you got some great banter between characters. This is all topped off with some a unique style. As a result, we have a stand-out film that I’d recommend to anyone who wants to see a unique film, unless all of Edgar Wright’s movies are like this. Regardless I enjoyed this movie a lot and I definitely recommend checking it out. After this I really want to check out Wright’s other films, since this is the first of his films that I have seem. Edgar Wright you did a good job here now please do the same for Ant-Man in two years. Expand
  4. Sep 15, 2013
    Very well made with all the usual tropes you expect from and Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg script. There are an awful lot of references to their past work and very subtle nods to other films along the way. I guess you’d have to watch it many times to get them all. All the performances were excellent with Frost and Pegg taking centre stage (of course) but with the talent on show, nobody couldVery well made with all the usual tropes you expect from and Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg script. There are an awful lot of references to their past work and very subtle nods to other films along the way. I guess you’d have to watch it many times to get them all. All the performances were excellent with Frost and Pegg taking centre stage (of course) but with the talent on show, nobody could really put a foot wrong. Oh, and I have to mention Rosamund Pike who plays the female lead, Sam Chamberlain, I thought she was excellent as well. So was it just a clone of ‘Shaun of the Dead’? Well, it has many similarities but the characters are all different and the antagonist is also different. So not a direct clone but you can see where it came from. Over all, I liked it, an entertaining romp well worth a look.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.7/10.
  5. Sep 1, 2013
    Simon Pegg heads the group of 5 boyhood chums, who returns to their hometown 20 years later to complete a legendary 12-pub crawl. On their route, they discover that the town has changed in an ill-fated sci-fi way. This team of accomplished British actors creates an assured comic ensemble, led by Pegg's manic character. There aren't a lot of laff-out-loud moments, but there's plenty ofSimon Pegg heads the group of 5 boyhood chums, who returns to their hometown 20 years later to complete a legendary 12-pub crawl. On their route, they discover that the town has changed in an ill-fated sci-fi way. This team of accomplished British actors creates an assured comic ensemble, led by Pegg's manic character. There aren't a lot of laff-out-loud moments, but there's plenty of good-natured, energetic fun. Add some entirely convincing special effects and clever physical action and you've got an entertaining romp thru a possessed English village. Expand
  6. Nov 29, 2013
    Are you kidding me? I don't understand what all the praise for this film is for. The humour is horrid and tummy cringing, the acting is poor and the story is just shockingly lazy. Im sorry... I did not enjoy this film one bit, and I am a huge fan of Shawn of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim, Boo!
  7. Sep 20, 2013
    There's a lot to like about The World's End, such as the brilliant acting, solid script, cool music, well choreographed action sequences and overall good story, but there's also a few things that turn me off. Firstly, the three friends that accompany Pegg and Frost are extremely dull and only there to make the two of them seem funnier and to enable plot developments. Secondly, the aliensThere's a lot to like about The World's End, such as the brilliant acting, solid script, cool music, well choreographed action sequences and overall good story, but there's also a few things that turn me off. Firstly, the three friends that accompany Pegg and Frost are extremely dull and only there to make the two of them seem funnier and to enable plot developments. Secondly, the aliens are lame, too easy to kill and seem put together like lego. Thirdly, and this more of a personal preference, this film is really aimed at p!ss heads, and I dislike p!ss heads. Bar brawls are just not cool, and I get the impression the film is trying to tell us they are....but all this to one side, this is still a great film with a really unique feel. I just think it could have been better. Expand
  8. Aug 26, 2013
    It's been years since the last instalment of the Cornetto trilogy and the final chapter is finally upon us and fortunately its just as good, if not better than the last.
    When Garry King (Simon Pegg) reassembles his gang of school friends for the golden mile, a bar crawl that consists of 12 pubs in his home town he doesn't realize that his home is no longer the same place he and his friends remember and it may well be dangerous to stay. The World's End isn't the conventional conclusion to a trilogy but this is no ordinary trilogy. Clearly attempting to bring some kind of resolution to the saga, the ending of the film is actually the worst part of the feature as it has very little to do with the actual film as well as being remarkably confusing. That being said, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and director Edgar Wright prove that their blood and ice cream series are the pinnacle of modern British comedy. Filled with Wright's usual wit, The World's End is bloody good comedy with plenty of laugh out loud moments and hundreds of quotable lines as well as a rather moving finale that is ruined by a journey into the ridiculous with the final coda feeling tacked on and utterly pointless. The film takes its time ramping up to its main story so the beginning is light on jokes and heavy on exposition but as soon as the drinking starts its off to the races. The 2nd act is a blur of well directed action set pieces and wall to wall belly laughs as everything starts to hit the fan and the characters start coming into their own. It's quintessential British comedy that is pretty damn terrific in every aspect and has stand out performances from Pegg, Frost, Rosamund Pike and Paddy Considine.. Must watch British cinema.
  9. Dec 14, 2013
    The World's End doesn't know if it's an ensemble R-rated comedy, a middle-age crisis movie or an action sci fi dystopia movie.....

and you will be glad it doesn't. The movies sets out to create a weird blend of genres and succeeds. Some of the disagreement in the user reviews can be explained by noticing that the movie is something of a satire or farce, and what it does well does

Some of the disagreement in the user reviews can be explained by noticing that the movie is something of a satire or farce, and what it does well does not require us to take the characters, tone or plot seriously.
    It uses its monstrous hybrid of genres and tones to unseriously bat around a few serious ideas. This rubs some people the wrong way. Too bad for them, really.
  10. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You could see that this movie reflected the same emptyness as the actors lives it was based on. I admit its a great movie if your high on pot or drunk or just stupid. But you know the actor writer is completely bankrupt of any creativity and ideas when they resort to sheer shock value and star power for the whole movie.

This movie is definitely a Jump the Shark moment for Seth Rogen and his crew, unfortunately, just the feel goods self affirmation this will give stoners of their lives will make all the potheads give it good reviews, if youre anyone else this movie will be something worth skipping
  11. Jan 23, 2014
    What an obnoxious combination of aliens invented velcro and 'white man's burden'. I'm just so conditioned by the "liberal left" globalist media machine I react negatively to an Angle-Saxon pro-imperialist movie. But you know what they say: you can take the British out of Imperialism, but you can't take Imperialism out of the Brit.
  12. Sep 12, 2013
    This movie is a fast paced quick witted movie that will test your ability to pay attention to absorb all of the great dialog and inter action between all the actors.... great acting, good story, and great humor.......... I was not sure I would like it because I saw the first Hangover movie and thought it was an insanely stupid drunk a log 3 stooges type of movie.. this is much differentThis movie is a fast paced quick witted movie that will test your ability to pay attention to absorb all of the great dialog and inter action between all the actors.... great acting, good story, and great humor.......... I was not sure I would like it because I saw the first Hangover movie and thought it was an insanely stupid drunk a log 3 stooges type of movie.. this is much different and lots of fun Expand
  13. Sep 12, 2013
    I was thoroughly interested and having an enjoyable time until the last 10 minutes of the movie. The worst ending to one of the best movies of the year
  14. Oct 18, 2013
    For me this was the most anticipated movie of this year. I'd say that I'm a fanboy of Pegg-Frost-Wright and this is a decent movie mixing good old british comedy and some sci-fi action with lots of fun details and easter eggs. But still their best creation was "Hot Fuzz", it is really a top notch movie.
  15. Sep 16, 2013
    Quick-witted dialogue and unbelievably perfect characters not only render "The World's End" into a brilliant science fiction yarn it also leaves the audience with a thematically heartfelt end to the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy.
  16. pxl
    Aug 27, 2013
    A fantastic finale to The Cornetto Trilogy, altogether an enjoyable film, well done and thank you to Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. I'd say one of the best movies in the trilogy.
  17. Sep 22, 2013
    My favorite installment in Edgar Wrights Three Flavours trilogy. The Worlds End is always exciting and always funny. Not only does it succeed at being awesome, but also at being quite emotional and in one scene tear jerking.
  18. Aug 25, 2013
    This was one of the best movies I ever saw. I liked it better than Shaun of the Dead but not as much as Hot Fuzz. Either way this is a fantastic movie that everyone should go see. Assuming you are old enough.
  19. Oct 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Worlds End was a funny and unique film. Simon Pegg is just a great actor and plays his part as Gary King in a great way. This movie involves 5 friends, led by Simon Pegg's character, on a pub crawl eventually leading to the pub The World's End. The humor in this movie is just excellent and the dialogue is perfect. I also give credit to Nick Frost for playing the reluctant best friend of Simon Pegg, Andy. The movie has some twists that are unpredictable which makes this film really exciting. The character development was pretty simple and straight forward. So that is all I have to say about this movie just great it was funny, creative, intelligent, and a great experience I highly recommend it as it is the sleeper movie of the year. Overall 9.5/10 Expand
  20. Oct 13, 2013
    Typical Simon Pegg movie. It is kind of his previous movies like shaun of the dead but still an just above average comedy movie to watch. I won't say it is too funny but still an enjoyable movie.
  21. Sep 7, 2013
    Despite the weird "enemies", this movie kept me laughing from start to finish. The cast qas strong and fun. The script was smart and hilarious. It's hard not to enjoy this movie.
  22. Aug 27, 2013
    Perfect ending for a perfect trilogy. Everyone from the past two movies ("Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz") have come back for an epic finale. This time, the main genre of the movie is sci-fi, and the story is pretty damn brilliant: it has a lot of hilarious moments (with Simon Pegg being the funniest in the whole movie), but also an emotional depth that I wasn't really expecting. Also,Perfect ending for a perfect trilogy. Everyone from the past two movies ("Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz") have come back for an epic finale. This time, the main genre of the movie is sci-fi, and the story is pretty damn brilliant: it has a lot of hilarious moments (with Simon Pegg being the funniest in the whole movie), but also an emotional depth that I wasn't really expecting. Also, the action sequences feature great camera angles, and not dumb shaky-cam.
    I'm sad that this trilogy has come to an end. Wright, Pegg, Frost and the rest of the crew will always be in my heart, as protagonists of the best trilogy ever made!!
  23. Aug 30, 2013
    "The World's End" is a fun and humorous nod to the sic-fi genre depicting a group of friends attempting to do a pub crawl during an alien invasion. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are brilliant as always but I do have to take marks of for the inclusion of Rosamund Pike who just annoyed me throughout. The jokes and conversations in this film are funny and the ironic nature of the film in that"The World's End" is a fun and humorous nod to the sic-fi genre depicting a group of friends attempting to do a pub crawl during an alien invasion. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are brilliant as always but I do have to take marks of for the inclusion of Rosamund Pike who just annoyed me throughout. The jokes and conversations in this film are funny and the ironic nature of the film in that Pegg and Frost don't drink in real life makes the film even more enjoyable.This is a solid film well worth paying to go and see. Expand
  24. Aug 30, 2013
    Is amazing. A genuine and satisfaying apocalypse of Wright. The humor is very intelligent, is a movie made by fans, for fans. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Edgar Wright has been one of the biggest success stories of cinema of the last decade.
  25. Aug 30, 2013
    Great Game! I am from Ukraine. Here is we play different staff like WOW, WOT, different kind of games... but this one makes me crazy Ubisoft creating best games... my point is 9
  26. Aug 31, 2013
    I enjoyed the movie! It's funny and it does have the Cornetto trilogy feeling to it. Without a doubt, Nick Frost did a fantastic job playing his character, His best character he has played since Ed in Shaun of The Dead!

My only downside of the film was the ending, I thought it was bit pants. Most of the endings in the trilogy has a funny twist to it but this didn't but as I said, I have enjoyed the movie and will buy the blu-ray on release.
  27. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The third flavour in Edgar Wright’s Cornetto Trilogy is The World’s End, is a pub crawl set against the backdrop of the apocalypse, in a sci-fi farce that would make Douglas Adams proud. The setting recalls Shaun of the Dead (2004), which culminated in a mad dash to the pub amid a different world-end scenario, riffing hilariously on the classic zombie uprising. This plot sees five friends return to their home town of Newton Haven to complete The Golden Mile, a grand tour around the town’s twelve historic ale houses.

They’ve all come a long way since their school days. All that is, except one. Gary King (Simon Pegg) the instigator of this nostalgia trip has not moved on a day. The perpetual sunglasses and leather duster that made him the coolest dude in school twenty years ago are now the bedraggled clobber of a washed-up borderline alcoholic.

Where previously Pegg played the more driven character, with Nick Frost his stalwart, yet bumbling companion, in The World’s End, the roles are switched. Here, Pegg is still the lead, but the idle Gary King is much closer to his character in Edgar Wright’s sitcom Spaced. His old chum Andy (Nick Frost) is the complete antithesis, a successful lawyer, teetotal and married. The two have had a “frosty” relationship since school, if you’ll pardon the dreadful pun. Andy later comes to the forefront once conflicts begin, Dutch courage enabling him to become champion of bar-fu.

The laughter flows as quickly as the pints, with sharp and hilarious dialogue. The action is well choreographed by Brad Allen, a member of Jackie Chan’s famous stunt team who worked with Wright on Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010). Fans of Wright and his team will recognise the return of some frequent collaborators, well cast to enrich the experience.

The film is a masterpiece of conception, with strength is in its attention to detail (resist reading further if you want to avoid spoilers). Of note are the character names, which subtly reveal their group dynamic. Self-appointed leader Gary King, ambitious rival Steven Prince (Paddy Considine), dedicated combatant Andy Knightley, managerial city slicker Oliver Chamberlain (Martin Freeman) and the submissive Peter Page (Eddie Marsan). The larger group takes a while to develop, drawing the focus away from the familiar Pegg and Frost dynamic. They characters chew the fat over the first few drinks, but each gets their moment in the sun. The name and design of each pub has been elegantly constructed to reflect the events that take place there; some are more subtle than others, but the stops on The Golden Mile are certainly open to rich interpretation.

The perfectly generic Newton Haven was filmed amongst Hertfordshire’s garden cities (The UK’s first roundabout is indeed a real place in Letchworth). Thus the fictional town manages to represent the epitome of Britishness, but with an atypical vibe of city planning. For The World’s End is a comment on the homogeneity of modern British towns. A similar uniformity afflicted the cities of the world in Huxley’s Brave New World, and this is the ultimatum delivered by the mysterious intelligence behind the alien invasion, whose brutal utilitarianism seeks to bring humanity in line with the rest of the galaxy by any means necessary. After all, we are almost there already: what high street can be walked down in this country without encountering the same banks, the same coffee shops, the same clothes outlets, the same chains of restaurants and pubs.

The film also dissects nostalgia by drawing attention to our own selective memories. The soundtrack is full of the early 90s Britpop and alternative rock of Wright and Pegg’s youth, that defines Gary King’s philosophy. The gang’s first attempt at the mile, all those years ago, was an unfinished ramble of illness and conflict, participants dropping like flies as the evening progressed. Yet it is remembered as the perfect night, the culmination of a wonderful youth. The characters are later offered the chance of a return to this youth, the recollection of twenty years’ pedestrian adulthood polished to perfection by cutting out all the bad bits.

It’s a tall order to replicate the success of the Cornetto classics without retreading old ground, but The World’s End manages to keep moving in unexpected directions. This is a team that know what they are doing, and they have certainly approached it with a new ambition, striking gold once more. At heart, The World’s End is a bittersweet endorsement of humanity, celebrating not only our faults, but the individuality and freedoms that come with them. It also inspired me to indulge in a pub crawl of my own. So I, for one, will be raising a pint glass to The World’s End, as it heads towards its cataclysmic finale. I suggest you do, too.
  28. Sep 4, 2013
    Pretty good! I'm a big fan of Simon Pegg so this film made me very happy, especially because Simon Pegg was in it and he his always a joy to behold. An A+!
  29. Sep 10, 2013
    12 pubs, 12 pints; one night. The World's End is the story of Garry King (Simon Pegg) and the old school gang, who re-tackle the 5280 feet of alcohol on the Golden Mile in their hometown. As Garry is reaching 40, this pub crawl is all he basically has to live for.

I usually personally judge a movie based on if I was bored at all during the run time, and with The World's End, I was constantly entertained with the British humor and witty comments, coming from Simon and the entire cast. The only character in the film I didn't like was Rosamund Pike (Picture 1). Her role was just minor and I feel that the film would've been better without it.

I walked into the film just for some laughs and a humor, and received much more in the end than expected. The movie took some completely unexpected twists and turns that neither me, nor the rest of the audience were expecting. I think that The World's End is the summer blockbuster film I never got. When I think back on this year’s break, I never really could remember a movie I actually left the theater satisfied with.
    Pegg's acting was the best I have ever seen from him, and I think that this single August release promotes his ability and range of all the parts he can play...WELL. The Sci-Fi aspect of the film weaved together nicely with the mix of comedy in an un-awkward way. When the sci-fi aspect did come about, I did feel the film began to become more unrealistic. I didn't like how these regular drunks, were able to change into mini Jackie Chan's all of a sudden.

Through the many fight scenes, there was really never a time where any one of the characters was in a close to life or death situation. I think that even though I thought this was a problem, The World's End is a movie that you go into knowing everything won't make perfect sense when you’re leaving the theater.

Being the third film in the series of Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz, I feel that The World’s End felt more like a sequel to Paul than the others it was billed against. Overall, The World's End is a movie you will feel like you got your money's worth out of, in the long run. It's one of those films that seems like it would be more fun to watch when you’ve had a few pints yourself, but either way it is an easy film to enjoy.
  30. Sep 13, 2013
    Very original! While I do find Shaun of the Dead still the best of the three Pegg, Frost & Wright movies, this was enjoyable. Though, I think the ending was kind of weird and unexpected. Overall, I liked it and it was a fun flick to watch.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Aug 31, 2013
    Nothing here is so well defined, and the tone of the film begins to suffer. I cannot imagine returning to it as one does to "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," hungry for fresh minutiae. [2 Sept. 2013, p.80]
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Aug 28, 2013
    The World’s End affectionately takes a page from our Fifties sci-fi films.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Aug 26, 2013
    There's a lot of fun to be had in watching The World's End and, surprisingly, more thematic depth than one might expect. The humor, true to its British roots, may baffle some Americans but those who "get" it will laugh quite a bit.